Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,501 to 1,550 of 1,903 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Hail good innkeep! Liam the Talespinner be my name, if ye remember. I've traded some tales with ye for a soft bed a time or two past. 'Twould be a pleasure to do so once more, if it please ye, mistress. An' these be some old friends of mine, maybe you'd take some of smoked fish for their beds? I've some good-sized blunts, or maybe ye'd prefer some whitefin?"

Diplomacy roll to sweeten her attitude with Charming bonus:
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

I'll then follow up with a Gather Info attempt (Local Knowledge) with Charming bonus:
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

"Beds aside, any news in town? We saw some trouble down the road..."

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The woman, apparently the innkeeper's daughter, ends up blushing from her ears down to her bodice at Liam's attentions. She, after some fits of scandalous giggling, agrees to put the group up for the night for the majority of his stock of smoked fish to put in the larder. She admonishes the party to keep quiet about the deal or her father will tan her hide. Apparently he's abed with the croup and she's left to run the day-to-day affairs until he recovers.

As for news, Liam is sadly disappointed, as the place has apparently been as quiet as it looks. Most of what he garners is local gossip, which Kara, the barmaid, is happy to fill his ear with. The only really interesting piece almost slips by in the torrent of mundane gossip, when she mentions in passing a bandit, apparently a dwarven outcast, who was whisked away from the Constable's office by an Inquisitor and his guards. This was some weeks ago and no doubt the poor blighter's head is adorning a spike on the gate of the Jarl's fortress for whatever he'd done.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I will smilingly thank Kara for taking the time to talk to a rough traveller like myself, then return to the party. "Will you mob be wanting rooms now, heading out, or warming yeselves by the fire here? Meself, I think I owe Mistress Kara and the room some tall tales." I lean a little closer. "Did you all catch that?" I murmur, quietly filling in anyone if they didn't.

Oops, sorry, don't know why I put the bonus on the Gather Info roll. Doesn't apply to that at all! Result should have been 15.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya remained quiet fror most of the trip, bundled up against the cold, she focused o the surroundings as she came to understand the dynamics of her new companions.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Might as well as take a night here. That way we have a full day on the morrow to seek that which we seek.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric stays pretty quiet in Dunshale, once Liam shows his willingness to be the party's mouthpiece.
"Aye, I think a warm meal and proper beds will set us right. Suppose the Inquisition took some serious offense with bandits so close to the Jarl's fastness.", he says, though his tone indicates he doesn't quite think it's that simple.
Sorry to not post for so long, really long week at work.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Your group has a relaxing night at the Flask and Flail, the locals warming to Liam's tales by the fire. Your flagons stay full and the helpings are generous, as Kara seems quite smitten with your new-found companion.

Come morning, you are promptly roused from slumber for an early start, if only so Kara can shoo you on your way so her father doesn't find out how generous she's been with the room and board. The day is clear and cold, and the snow has a frozen crust atop it that makes things that much more treacherous once you're out of the village and away from shoveled roads.

Perception checks all around, please.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Perception
Kalaya1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Whisperwing1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18


Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Perception DC 20:
For a brief moment, you catch a glint from the slope above, a metallic shine over the bright white of the snow.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Did you catch that?" I murmur to Gendo, motioning my head to where I caught the glimpse of reflective metal. I swiftly explain what I just saw.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Nothing was thrown to me. Why? I look to him questioningly.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I will again swiftly explain what I just saw :)
"Up there... The glint of metal among the snow. We're likely being watched from above, though by friend or foe, I couldn't tell ye."


Jon grunts when he hears Liam's warning. He keeps his head down, but his senses open.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Knowledge(nature) check from Jon: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Looking at the distribution of snow across the slope, Jon thinks there may have been a small avalanche here not long ago. The upper slopes have a lot more exposed rock.

Once Liam is able to orient on the position again, he points out the phenomenon. Sure enough, there's a metallic glint coming from the rocks above, about 50 yards up the hillside. You see no sign of anyone or anything lurking up there.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Interesting. I respond, as I orient myself take in Liam's discovery.

Looking to the others, I'm not sure how safe it would be to climb in that snow to investigate. Still, I'd rather know what or who is interested in us. Or perhaps someone is in need of aid. In anycase, I am willing to risk the climb.


Jon squints at the ground around them. "See there? It looks as if a small avalanche happened here not long ago. It could have uncovered something. We should be quiet and try not to disturb the snow."


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya looks to the glint indicated by Liam, and with a swift wordless exchange, Whisperwing takes off flying a circuitous rout towards the phenomenon.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Tangent:
Witches' familiars still puzzle me. They're inherently different than a wizard's familiar, and feel like they should be played with a different flavor, but there's no real indication where to go with that. Vexing...

The owl wings its way up the hillside, alighting on the rock outcropping near the glint. It eyes something for a moment, and then plucks at the rock with its beak. A beat off wings, then the bird is airborne again, wheeling around to alight on Kalaya's shoulder. Something heavy and metallic is dropped into her palm.

It appears to be an odd ring, crafted of bronze. It looks old, but has been given a recent cleaning to remove most of the verdigris, though lines of it still linger in the carvings. A strange, stylized sunburst is set on the outer face of the ring, rising in a twisty cone a good inch from the ring itself. A gaudy trinket, to be sure.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Would any knowledge skills, perhaps history, allow me to glean any information from this ring?
Knowledge (history):1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Liam: The stylized pattern reminds you of things you've seen on old ruins throughout the Iron Marches. This suggests human origin and crafting, as those ruins were not dwarven. The pattern, though suggestive of a sunburst, has no historical significance you're aware of.

I realized my description of the ring isn't quite up to par. I'll throw in a few visuals. The metal strands that make the sunburst are three-dimensional, forming a cone similar to this (though perhaps a bit taller) set upon the top face of a ring like this. Just so the mental image comes across. It's a rather unwieldy looking thing.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Curious trinket there...", Auric says, rubbing the stubble on his chin and considering whether this object had some ritual or religious significance.
Knowledge- Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric: You recall old tales, legends really, regarding a sun god. Tales so old that the deity's name is forgotten. However, folk today know the myth that the sun is a spark from Baal's forge, flung into the sky where it stays to warm the world. If there were such a sun god, this could be a symbol, though it's an odd one, to be sure.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Well, that bird sure is handy," I say, turning to Kalaya, chuckling, "If a wee bit disconcerting! What do we suppose this is? It looks human-made to me..."
Detect magic, and if necessary, Spellcraft check to identify:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Liam: There's a faint aura of abjuration magic coming from it, but you're uncertain as to its exact function.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"...And it's definitely magical. Protective magicks, I'd say. Anybody got a good handle on the enchanted stuff?"


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Whatever it can do, it's very old. If an avalanche turned that up, what else could be buried up here under all this snow?"

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

You think you'll have the chance to find out, as ascending these hillsides will be the final portion of your journey to the sanctum.

For the sake of expidiency... Liam Survival Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16 Kalaya Survival Check (+4 for two assists): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 Jon Survival Check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 (Climb checks assisted by successful Survival check:) Auric Climb Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Jon Climb Check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 Gendo Climb Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 Liam Climb Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 Kalaya Climb Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

The group picks their way up the snow-covered slope, with the wilderness-savvy members of the party ensuring a careful ascent to avoid causing another avalanche. About half way up, Auric's foot slips, breaking through a crust of snow on what he thought was a rocky outcropping. Overbalanced, he tumbles backward, clipping Kalaya as he goes, and the two go tumbling back down the slope. Whisperwing launches into the air as the witch falls, giving a mournful cry.

Reflex saves from Kalaya and Auric.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric manages to avoid any of the rocky outcroppings on the way down, suffering a few bruises here and there, mostly to his pride. 7hp nonlethal damage.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Auric, Kalaya!! I call down to them. Are you well?!!

I then turn to Jon and Liam, I did not bring rope. Did either of you? If so, it could be used to help them ascend with less risk if we lower it.


"I did not. I fear they may be on their own."

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Kalaya Reflex Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Kalaya, tumbling down after Auric sweeps past her, manages to catch a handhold on a rock outcropping on her way down. She wrenches her arm a bit with the momentum [ooc](4hp nonlethal damage) but doesn't go all the way to the bottom like Auric. She's still about halfway down the slope from the rest of the group, however.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I have rope on my sheet at home here but I haven't put my equipment on the site... bugger.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

We'll go ahead and assume that at least one of you brought a length of rope for a mountain-climbing expedition.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

I've got a coil of rope... fat lot of good it's going to do me down here though.
"Ugh. Sorry!", Auric calls up as he dusts himself free of snow and tries to resume the climb....
Climb:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
...toppling over 180 degrees onto his back like a flipped turtle.


Male Half-elf Musician 6/ Student 4/ Fighter 1/ Freelancer 1
Shadowborn wrote:
We'll go ahead and assume that at least one of you brought a length of rope for a mountain-climbing expedition.

Sweet!

"Here Gendo, I've some rope!" I toss a 50' coil of rope to Gendo, as he's no doubt stronger than I am.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Holding on to the ledge Kalaya takes a moment to gather her bearings. Calming her breathing she looks up to the sky, smiling as she releases her grip, her body falling slowly, as if gravity were gently guiding her down rather than pulling her to her death.

She lands in a flutter of winter clothing, her feet touching down gently in the snow as she smiles at the supine Auric, Whisperwing landing silently on her shoulder.

Featherfall at will

"I am well." she replies to those above.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Just so we're clear, this isn't a "straight up" climb. It's a steep rocky slope covered in snow. Hence the tumbling rather than the "aaaaaaaahhhh...." *splat* effect.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage
Shadowborn wrote:
Just so we're clear, this isn't a "straight up" climb. It's a steep rocky slope covered in snow. Hence the tumbling rather than the "aaaaaaaahhhh...." *splat* effect.

Ah misinterpreted that.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

With the rope and a little muscle, the party is able to get Kalaya and then Auric up to where they are. A little further along the ledge there's a cave mouth, about eight feet high and seven feet wide at the base, tapering to about two feet near the top.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Well, this looks inviting..."
I peer into the cave mouth, trying to see what I can through the gloom of the cave, listening for any sounds out of the ordinary.

Perception check:
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Edit: Gee I've been rolling well! The good rolls are sure to desert me just when it's important though :)

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The cave seems to go straight into the hillside for about ten paces before taking a twist to the right. It does not widen for the distance you can see, just a narrow crevice extending into the rock. You do detect a faint whiff of rot, as of old meat, from inside.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Smells... appetizing. Shall we?"
Shall we line up a marching order?


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric kneels, pulling his lantern from his pack. He lights it before clipping it to his belt and strapping on his shield. He hefts his warhammer and stands.
"I'll stay in the front. Probably take a while for something to chew its way through me."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

{b]I'll follow a step or two behind Auric or along side if space allows.[/b]


Male Half-elf Musician 6/ Student 4/ Fighter 1/ Freelancer 1

I'll be happy to go anywhere - in 3rd or at the back.
I take my spear from off my back, ready a lantern, and attach a net loosely to my belt that I can grab if necessary.
"Ready," I grin.

1,501 to 1,550 of 1,903 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.