Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,401 to 1,450 of 1,903 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>

Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

As Whisperwing follows the trio from above, Kalaya slips the pouch in with her other belongings and looks to see if they are being follwed by anyone else.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

A little startled by this unexpected greeting, my usual smile seems a little foolish with my upraised eyebrows. "Happy Midwinter to ye sir... It seems you have the advantage. Unless you're the Moon Father with his bag full o' gifts, I'm not sure I know ye." I fish through my belt pouch for a gift to exchange and pull out a small pearl worth about 20gp, ready to present it to the fellow if he gives me something, both out of general goodwill but also as I'm a little superstitious - this is Midwinter Night after all, and I've seen some strange things in my travels.

I attempt to pull out the pearl unnoticed.
Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The fellow digs around in his bag a moment. "Ah, here we are," he says, pulling out a small cloth bundle. "Happy Midwinter to you, and may this gift be useful." He hands the small bundle, flat and hardly weighing anything at all, to Liam. The bard notices that his name is stitched into the cloth wrapping. "We've more people to speak with, so be a good fellow and collect Kalaya on her way in. We'll be over there with Auric, Jon, and Gendo."

The man turns and continues walking, bumping into the corner of a table and hissing a curse of pain. The woman deftly guides him around the obstacle and they keep walking. As you extend the pearl to give in exchange, the gnome plucks it out of your hand with surprising quickness, admiring its quality for a moment before dropping it into the sack. "Happy Midwinter," he says gruffly before trundling after the other two.

Kalaya: You reenter the hall and Whisperwing drifts down to land on your shoulder, nuzzling your ear. She indicates the trio, who are moving toward a group of people that include the follower and the two who were watching the delivery of your gift. Behind them is a young man holding a present and looking a bit puzzled.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Even more bemused than before, I nod to the gnome and carefully unwrap my gift, taking care to shield it from possibly prying eyes.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The package contains naught but a single tan leather glove, crafted of thin, fine lambskin, and a note. The note reads: In times of trouble one often wishes for a helping hand. Now you have one. Use it when your need to succeed is greatest.


Jon frowns, obviously confused by the Midwinter gift giving. He watches with the same frown on his face as the gnome gives out his gifts.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric just picks up his beer again, taking a swig.
"Is everyone they're speaking to part of the Hand or just a few? Why arouse so much attention?", he thinks.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I turn the glove over thoughtfully in my hand, murmuring words of a short incantation.

Detect Magic & Spellcraft to identify: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

EDIT: Bugger.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Auric, the thanks given us, though much appreciated, was a surprise. I would not have thought thanks were necessary, matching right choice with right action.

I join in him in a drink...of warm cider.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1
Gendo wrote:

Auric, the thanks given us, though much appreciated, was a surprise. I would not have thought thanks were necessary, matching right choice with right action.

I join in him in a drink...of warm cider.

"Well, it's not a matter of necessity. It's a matter of good will and good feeling. I mean, we're not in the militia and we still risked our lives. And if someone goes above and beyond your expectations, it's only polite to make sure they know you're thankful."

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Liam:
What you have here is known as an assisting glove.

Auric, Jon, and Gendo watch as the tall, hooded woman steers the older man towards them as one would guide the sightless, yet when they arrive to stand before you he looks directly at Auric with a piercing stare as he addresses the young smith by name.

"Auric Ironwright, I'm glad you're here. I've a Midwinter gift for you. Jon, Gendo, you'll get yours in turn." He fumbles around in the sack the gnome holds out to him. You note he wears what can only be described as dress robes, woven of thick, soft wool and lined with fur. They're a deep mahogany in color with bordering stitched in deep blues, greens, and violets.

Mumbling to himself as he fishes around in the sack, he stops a moment and raises his gaze to the ceiling. "Quit staring at me like that. I'm no more an interloper here than you," he declares to the air." As if in response, a white owl lifts off from a rafter overhead gliding silently across the hall to land on the shoulder of a dark-haired woman near the door.


Jon murmurs in appreciation as Auric receives his gift. "Truly a regal gift, Auric. The green suits you well."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric nods to the older man, as well as the woman and the gnome in turn.
"I'm glad to see you and a fine Midwinter to you and yours. I fear I am ill-prepared as I haven't a gift for you, but would you have a moment to take a seat and sample Ouryn's stock?"


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya approaches, surprised at the old man's perceptive abilities, most would never know that Whisperwing was nearby.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Just noting that the robes aren't the gift, but what the man is wearing. He's still digging in the sack at this point.

"Ah, here we are...yes. First, I have a message for you. I believe there is someone you'll need to see in the near future concerning certain, erm, handiwork of yours that deserves commendation." He hands Auric a folded piece of parchment, sealed in wax without any mark.

"Ah, yes, here we are. I apologize for the lack of wrapping, but putting a container within another container seemed somehow redundant." He produces a backpack of freshly oiled leather, sporting padded straps and numerous pockets and hooks. "The perfect thing for long journeys when one must pack heavily."

The older man turns once again for the sack, digging around. The gnome holds the bag open, arms extended, looking impatient. His eyes wander over to the kegs of ale stacked along the wall and he gives a longing sigh.

"Aha! For Jon..." With a flourish, he produces a leather satchel, attached to a long strap that would fit comfortably across one's shoulder. "This contains a few things that should complement your healer's kit rather well. Use them in good health...or not, should you be the one that needs them."

He then turns to Gendo. "My gift to you is as valuable as one can receive: advice." He leans forward conspiratorially. "When the time comes for you to make a hard choice, pick the middle one. They're all designed to kill you anyway. Choosing that one will allow the other two to save your life." That said, he smiles and gives Gendo a friendly pat on the shoulder.

As if sensing Gendo's puzzlement, the woman speaks. "Weiland's advice tends to see further ahead than most people. What seems confusing now will likely serve you well if you remember it some time from now." She favors Gendo with a smile.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I give a wan smile, Master Weiland, you speak like Master Heyward. Oft times he would say the most puzzling thing, only for it to become pertinent at the most appropriate, unexpected moment. I will not forget your words, nor yours m'lady.

My smile becomes warm, As Master Heyward would say, advice is a knowledge for a lesson yet to be learned. An interesting experience lies ahead. Thank you both


Jon accepts the gift with a smile and a half bow. "I shall try to never need this."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric accepts the note and the backpack with a smile and a nod.
"Thank you very much. Forgefather's blessing to you and yours, quite generous of you."
He looks between his backpack and the gnome's, grinning widely as he safely tucks the note away in a pocket.
"Hey! We'll be twins! Isn't that funny?"

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon:
The satchel contains the following:
  • 1 dose of antiplague
  • 2 doses of bloodblock
  • 1 dose of smelling salts
  • 2 doses of soothing syrups

The gnome looks up at you, to the empty backpack you hold, and back at the bulging, oversized monstrosity he bears that looks like it weighs as much as Auric does. He turns his gaze back to Auric and his eyes go cold. When he speaks, his voice is a surprising bass, a calm rumbling like an earth tremor.

"You know what's really funny, stripling? That my hands are strong enough to crush your head like an overripe melon. On any given day in my life I could run roughshod over you and tread you underfoot like so much mud. But now I'm simply too weary to do so, because I must follow him around everywhere with this leather mountain on my back. All because--"

"Silence!" commands Weiland. "That will be quite enough of that sort of talk. This is a holiday. Now hand me the bag, put the pack down, and grab yourself a seat for a while." The gnome looks relieved and trundles off to do just that. Weiland turns back to the group and smiles.

"My apologies. He gets cranky."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I stand for a moment, looking at the glove, wondering who Kalaya might be, when I raise my gaze to the rset of the hall before me.

Still using detect magic, I look around the room.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

While surprised by the outburst, Auric is used to threats and insults. He nods to Weiland.
"Poor choice of conversation on my part. I hope he won't hold a grudge. Now, would you likewise care for a seat?"

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Oh, and since I failed to mention it, it's a masterwork backpack.

"He'll likely forget all about it in a moment," says Weiland. "Perhaps you should put the pack down a moment. Grab some ale and take a seat."

At Weiland's words, the gnome wastes not a moment. He shrugs the pack to the floor, it's impact actually sloshing ale in the cups on a nearby table. Then he hustles over to the kegs, returning with a large tankard in each hand, easing himself onto a bench at one of the long trestle tables at the side of the hall. At the sight of the two tankards, Weiland frowns.

"Need to remember to be more specific in my choice of words..." he mutters. He and the hooded lady take seats with the three of you.

Liam: You concentrate on magical auras and find one radiating from something carried by a dark-haired young woman with a white owl perched upon her shoulder. Seems to be tucked in a pouch at her belt.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya notes the man sitting with a group of others. Mulling it over for a moment she approaches the table.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Seeing the woman move to the group including Auric and the strange gift-giver, and not knowing quite what else to do, I mosey over to join them.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Weiland gives a nod of approval. "All present and accounted for at last, I see. Good, good. It wouldn't do for the lot of you to be separated on this night. A time for new beginnings, this is. I'll leave you to it, then. Enjoy the gifts. I'm sure we'll run into each other again soon." He looks over the five of you with another nod, seemingly unaware that one is a complete stranger, and the other only a passing acquaintance of one member of the group.

He turns, with his escort on his arm, and heads off into the crowd. He passes Amara on the way, greeting her and exchanging pleasantries before moving on. The gnome continues to sit nearby, sighing contentedly after emptying one of his flagons.

Amara moves to your table, greeting Jon, Gendo, and Auric and introducing them to Kalaya. She also gives greetings from Oroupah, who is apparently wintering at the House of the Pearl.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Well, off he goes to be mysterious somewhere else.", Auric says, holding up his tankard in an approximation of a toast. "Have a seat, Liam- looks like this is all part of the plan. Gendo, Jon... Kalaya, was it? This is Liam- he tells tales at the Huntsman's Rest and I reckon he's got some hobbies we share in common."


Jon nods at the newcomers. "Hobbies you say? Well, always nice to meet another hobbyist."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Well, it be nice to meet you all, though I can't think of how it could've been stranger. An' I must say, an unlikely bunch we look. So, who in the bloody hells was that fella, anyway?" I say, craning my neck to look at his departing back.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Amara, the tall blonde woman of middle years that has joined you, answers.

"We know him as Weiland. He's been a friend of our house for some time. You never know when he'll wander in, but it's usually at an appropriate time. Where he's originally from, I'm not certain, but the man has power. He's also not adverse to helping mutual friends of ours from time to time. I first met him ten years ago. He hasn't aged a day, as far as I can tell."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Left us some instructions as well...", Auric says as he takes a glance around for any curious onlookers. When satisfied that no one's watching the party at the table, he pulls out the note and breaks the seal.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"That man definitely follows a great path, one that has guided us all here." Kalaya says cryptically, taking a seat at the table.

"It seems we will keep each other's company for a bit gentlemen"


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Not that it won't be a pleasure to keep your company, beautiful lady, but why are we here? I take it we're all... What was it you said..?" I look at Auric and Jon. "...Hobbyists?"
I take out a copper piece and begin dancing it across my knuckles as I lean back in my chair, ready to listen to someone tell me what in the hells is going on.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Given that you came with Amara, Kalaya, I'm assuming you share our hobby. Liam, you're not exactly subtle in your sympathies, so it's not out of the question that you might already have some ties to our little knitting circle. Ultimately, that's probably why our prescient friend was determined to bring us together."

He clears his throat and continues quietly.

"At the autumn festival, a group of walking skeletons fell upon the contestants in the footrace. We dealt with them- that's what our friends in town know. With help from Amara, Oroupah and our friend Will, we looked further into the matter at the behest of some mutual friends. A madwoman was raising the dead without rhyme or reason- because she glanced at a tome stolen from Gendo's monastery by her teacher, a necromancer from across the Tindal Sea, and his accomplices. This happened to send us into the mountains around the time of the first frost, where we tracked their movements and layed an ambush... which unfortunately backfired when Thrallhammer's patrol found us just before the necromancer's accomplices returned themselves. After that bloody business, they conveyed themselves back to their homeland via powerful magic and we returned to Three Oaks to lick our wounds. I'm reckoning Weiland is relaying a message on our next project and you're both going to factor into it."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Knitting circle you say?" I remark, smiling. "Aye, I know a knitting circle or two... Although, being a travelling fisherman, I wouldn't say I exactly belong to one nor the other." My voice drops a notch or two as I lean forward again. "I do what me da did, that is, travelling around, helping the knitters where I can, and telling tales about the glory of humanity, and whoever else ain't the dwarves. Apart from that, I have enough to do just keeping me own skin safe out in the wilds.

"That's some tale you tell though. You'll have to give it to me with all the trimmings some other time, I reckon I could use that one. But, it seems you folk know how to take care of yeselves. An' I'm always up for seeing a good story first hand."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I know not Weiland, however he speaks and carries himself as one of Master Heyward's insight and ability. If he has some tapestry for us to weave, then let us not tarry. Though I would like for us to fulfill our oath to the Akaara and make way to the, hopefully, untouched looking glass into an age long past.

My words are spoken neither loud nor soft, as though I am unconcerned with listening ears, yet trying to be respectful of Auric's perspective with how the Hand chooses to pursue its goals.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric:
You break the seal on the note and unfold it, finding a short message written in a clear, careful script: Your help in recent tragic events is appreciated. We will see you tonight at the smithy, after the festival.

Amara has the trio fill her in on events since she last saw you. She finds the trip to the sanctum of Mimir ill-advised, but seeing that Gendo is determined, does not attempt to dissuade him further. Instead she advises that you bring extra food, in the event that the weather strands you in the mountains.

"Perhaps you should take Kalaya along," she says. "Her skills could be useful. Kalaya, this might provide an opportunity to uncover more about a certain celestial event as well. Mimir is the fountainhead of knowledge, after all."

Just a reminder that the Akaara do not expect you to go hunting the griffon until Spring.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Well, if it's food we need, I have plenty of fish. Hope you all like fish."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Quite a collection of stargazers at the House of the Pearl.", Auric says, looking for some contribution he can make to the conversation that doesn't concern an overland journey in the dead of winter.

"Azryn's relighting the forge tonight... given what I know of you fine folks, I won't suggest you come with your hymnals, but I've been told to expect guests at the smithy afterward. I'd reckon it may have something to do with our last project, or a new one."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Relighting the forge, we wouldn't want to miss that, lest we offend the Baalites. Stars forbid that should occur. My tone touched with the barest hint of sarcasm, yet filled with respectful reverence.

I continue in a respectful tone, Guests? Our last project? Is this your way of letting us know that you'd like us to attend the relighting? If so, then I accept.


"Ay, I'll be there." Jon still seems somewhat thoughtful and distracted.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric frowns, but let's it pass. Instead, he passes around the note. The spoiler above.
"You don't have to go, just stop by afterwards. I can't take all the credit for the hard work we all had our parts in."


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"I would be happy to attend."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I was not trying to be flippant, though I expect my words came across as exactly that. I do take issue with the oppression of other ideas that seemingly offend those who wish to keep others in ignorance of ideas outside there own. It leads to stagnation. Again my tone is completely respectful touched with apologetic sincerity.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"And I'm in agreement with you.",Auric says, exasperated,"But this isn't the Inquisition coming down and searching your house for books, symbols and candles. It's a community tradition that I happen to value. Not everything done in praise of Baal is an attack on every other faith. And it's optional, if I didn't mention that."


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

At the mention of an Inquisition Klaya's expression darkens, almost twitching at the mention of the Dwarven god.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"What Auric says is worth considering. Baal does not directly bring harm. His servants do. Whether it is his will or not...well, one should not question the will of the gods. That way lies madness," Amara interjects. She gets an odd look on her face and chuckles.

"I remembered something my father used to say: 'One can either serve the gods, or stay out of their way. The chances of being laid low by their actions is about the same.'"

Sometime during your conversation, Weiland's gnomish companion seems to have finished his second tankard of ale and departed. In fact, looking around the hall you see no sign of the trio at all.

Star Voter 2013

Male Half-elf Musician 6/ Student 4/ Fighter 1/ Freelancer 1

"Well, I don't know all that much about gods, but I know me a bit about dwarves, and while I hate their bloody ceremonies and everything they stand for, I can hold me tongue and bob me head when it's needful. I don't like it - that's why me da an' me lived in the wilds - but it's easy done. I won't be causing no trouble, like."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1
littlehewy wrote:
"Well, I don't know all that much about gods, but I know me a bit about dwarves, and while I hate their bloody ceremonies and everything they stand for, I can hold me tongue and bob me head when it's needful. I don't like it - that's why me da an' me lived in the wilds - but it's easy done. I won't be causing no trouble, like."

"Then don't come to light the forge if it offends your sensibilities. Whomever is stopping by will pay a visit to the smithy after the end of the festival. I'm sure Ouryn will want a hand cleaning up anyway and if Baal's got a problem, he'll sort it out with whatever god you pay your own reverence to. Just figured I'd invite everyone, friendly-like."

Auric stands from the bench.
"I could stand another drink, if you'll excuse me.", he says before walking over to the taps.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I wince as Auric heads to get a drink. "Here now, I've put my foot in it, haven't I? Was the man an altar boy of Baal as lad or something?" I take a sip from my tankard. "I hope I haven't offended him too much, now," I murmur, "But I thought perhaps here we could speak our minds about the dwarves and their god." I look across to Amara as I finish speaking.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Amara gives Liam a reassuring smile.

"One needs to recall that while mortals represent the will of the gods on earth, they are not the gods themselves. They can be petty, vindictive, and cruel. They can also be pure, noble, and inspiring," she says, glancing at Auric as he moves off. "Best to be respectful of the divine and save criticism for mortals...safely out of their earshot, if you don't want to reap what you sow."

1,401 to 1,450 of 1,903 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.