Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,201 to 1,250 of 1,903 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>
The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Varrus again smiles, a trickle of blood flowing from his cracked lower lip.

"Stand away, and take your friend with you," he says, motioning to the still paralyzed Jon. "You monks don't 'preserve and protect' knowledge. You hoard it and hide it from those with the ability to use it. A tome of great knowledge sitting in a hole in the ground, gathering dust, because you fear its power. No wonder you scrape and bow before the dwarves. You are all ruled by fear."

Devrik waves his hand, and the orb of water dissolves, leaving Auric and William lying unconscious on the floor.

"Still, you four show spirit, if not wisdom. You've cost me time, and that is the most valuable commodity in my possession at the moment. Still, no more than my allies with their wayward personal agendas." At this he gives a pointed glance at Devrik, who merely shrugs.

"Your master is of no more use to me. Take him and be done with it. We shall depart these lands and leave you to your own devices."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I move to get Jon.

You are mistaken on one count. Controlled anger where the bearded bastards pure venom in my voice as I say 'bearded bastards' are concerned is what drives me. My pursuit of you was driven by my desire for my master's well-being, the one person who did not see my birth as an ill-omen. I tell you this, there is one human that will no longer abide the dwarven yokes pressed to us by the failings of our ancestors.

I pause a moment, before asking, Was it necessary to murder my brethren to lay claim to the tome? It seems to me that you could've enlightened us without the loss of life.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"I tried. When I discovered the location of the tome, I attempted to bargain with your master. He refused. I threatened. He refused still. I then showed him my threats are not idle and took what I needed. I believed he had knowledge of further things I need. I was wrong. He is no longer of use to me, so you may take him back."

"No!" comes a cry from the stairs. Turning, you see Zapazarus clambering his way up. His white hair, beard, and green robes are in complete disarray. "These bastards killed my pet and dumped me into a gorge! I say we toss them in and see how they like it! Or we hand them over to this one. He's not quite dead yet. We could revive him and let him deal with this rabble." Behind the gnome is a floating disc of energy. Lying upon it is the broken, bloodied form of Morgrim Thrallhammer.

"I think not," replies Varrus. We've wasted enough of my time here. We return to Fardusk so I may complete my research." Here Varrus pauses, looking at the fallen dwarf a moment, then at Gendo. "Here, consider this a gift." Varrus gestures, and Morgrim rises from the disc as if yanked from it by a giant, invisible hand. He floats to the center of the room, turned to face the wizard.

"You, dwarf, think yourself superior. Gaze upon your betters." He gestures and the Morgrim swivels in the air, turning first to Gendo and Jon, then to where Auric and William lie. "These humans and this halfling have done more to thwart me than an army of your kind. I do them a favor and dispose of a mutual enemy." At this, he releases his magic, and Morgrim crashes to the floor...and through the trap door. There are a series of metallic crashes as he slams through each of the trap doors in turn, before landing in the basement pit far below.

"Here. This map will lead you to where your master is held. Take him and go back to your life. Seek to follow me and my companions and I shall consider it a breaking of our truce."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I raise my eyebrow at Varras' words and display, making a mental note of the name Fardusk.

Reaching for the map, Thank you. Your words, and display, I shall remember well.

Taking the map, I then step away.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Once you have the map, Zapazarus and Devrik move to either side of Varrus. He intones a spell, laying his hands on their shoulders. The three then vanish as if never there.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon comes out of his paralysis shortly after the wizards depart (and, thankfully, the gods-awful smell he was emitting fades away.)


With a ragged breath, Jon finally clears his head. " You made a difficult decision, Gendo. It was well-made." He moves to William and Auric, and examines them, using his Cure Light Wounds spell to heal Auric first.

Curing: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric sits up, rubbing at the purple bruise on his temple.
"Augh... what happened? Did we..."
Looking around at the top of the tower and noting no corpses or captured mages, his shoulders slump.
"Oh."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

"Varras has won this day. We know where he's gone, but not how to get their."

I hold up the map.

"I now have the map to where my master is held. He will undoubtedly have more information. Whether or not Varras tried reasonable first to acquire the tome, the murder of my brethren demand that he pay his just due. First, we will get my master, then we will fulfill our vows to the skypeople and the wraith, and then," conviction firmly evident on my voice,"we see that Varras and his companions pay for what they've done.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric reaches out and channels Baal's divine power to cure Will's injuries.
Lay on Hands: 1d6 ⇒ 2

"Well... at least you got what you needed. Can't say I'm happy we dropped that bridge- two dead patrols are not going to make the Hand's job easier in the Marches, nor will it make the Aarocka safer. And all the intel we got from the journals went down with it. What are the odds of any of those dwarves surviving?"
I was out for the dropped captain, so I would need to be filled in on that.

Auric takes a look at the map.
How far are we from the spot holding Gendo's master? Is it easier to return the sword to the crypt first?

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

William, soaked to the bone, sits up and smiles a thank you at Auric.

"If nothing else, it's one less patrol for them to fight with. It didn't look like the dwarves were going to do much to stop the gnome wizard, so I made the choice to clear that part of the battlefield."

William shudders.

"Besides, that was Morgrim Thrallhammer. He would have held true to his word and arrested the lot of us. It would not have gone well for us if he did so."

William goes on to explain how ruthless the dwarf captain was, and about the tragic forge accident that hideously scarred the left half of his face. This tickles Auric's memory a bit, as he recalls Rizzym--outcast dwarf and fellow apprentice at the smithy--was exiled from his former home due to a horrible accident he caused with an alchemical experiment gone awry.

The map indicates a cave not too far from here. With the bridge down, it looks like your best bet is circling back to the barrow before retrieving Gendo's master.

William's shudder has turned to a steady shivering.

"How about we light a fire? I'd really like to dry out before I freeze."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Right. Let's get out of the weather here and back into the tower. A fire and some food will put us in a better mindset before we take care of our remaining business.", Auric says as he staggers to his feet and heads back into the tower in search of firewood.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The second floor sports a small fireplace, and the goblins were well-stocked on firewood. In a short while, you're able to get a blazing fire going and warm up while drying out your clothes.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"So, stopping at the barrow, then circling around to the cave- how long do you think that'll take us?"
What time of day is it at the moment?

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Just after midday.

The map is not accurate with distances, but given that you've travelled a lot of the area anyway, and with Jon's knowledge, you come up with a fairly accurate estimate. Without the bridge, it looks like it may take you a day and a half to get around the chasm and back to the barrow. You should make it to Master Ironhead's location by nightfall of the second day if you push hard enough.


"Keep in mind we still owe the birdfolk a favor."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Of course. We need to repay our debts. But making sure Gendo's master is in good shape should certainly be our first concern. Let's get some rest for a few minutes, let our clothes warm up a bit and strike out to circle the chasm."

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

William helps speed things along with his magic, using a cantrip to heat your wet clothes to the point where you can see the steam wafting from them. They are bone dry in a matter of minutes.

As the party exits, the halfling peers up into the sky.

"Speaking of our avian acquaintances, those look like a couple of them way up there. Either that, or our battlefield has attracted some really big carrion birds."

Willam frowns as an unpleasant thought crosses his face.

"What does an akaara diet include, anyway?"


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I gaze up to where he is indicating, having a sinking suspicion that the carrion birds may be the Wyverns we were supposed to handle for the bird men.

It is quite possible, with the considerable disturbance we have perpetrated here, that those large carrion birds may be the blight of our avian benefactors...attracted by all of the noise.
The tone of my voice resigned, yet touched with a hint of concern.

[ooc]I look closely at the 'birds' to see if I can make out any details

Perception check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Not wyverns. The akaara want you to deal with a rogue griffon (not to be confused with a griffon rogue).

Giving the distant winged figures a closer look, Gendo is fairly certain that William's initial guess is correct; there are two akaara hovering high above you, riding thermals and maintaining a circling position overhead.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric waves to the Akaara above the party.
"Suppose we ought to keep them apprised of the situation. Make sure they don't think we're skipping out on them."

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

You wave at them, and they circle down, landing nearby. They inform you that one was following the wizards, the other the dwarven patrol. Both are impressed with your group's bravery for fighting them. (Sorry, not really up to writing dialogue in rhyming sing-song at the moment.)


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

DOH!!! Griffons...we can handle...Wyverns, not so much. Should've gone back a few pages and refreshed myself.

I bow to the Akaara.

Thank you. Your words and praise do well to bolster our confidence. Regrettably, we were outmatched. Unfortunately, things did not turn out entirely in our favor. However, we do have a lead to my mentor and now know our quarry. We will not be so outmatched again. Be that as it may, we have a map to my mentor, our prize for failing.

I look to my companions before turning back to the Akaara, We made an oath to your people. An oath that we have not forgotten. While I cannot speak for my companions, and I am loathe to indebt myself further, I would ask a favor, I pull out the map to my mentor's location and open it, for the Akaara to see.

We must fulfill our oath. However, my mentor, my elder, is going to be sorely in need of aid. No doubt kept and barely sustained alive. I ask that you recover him and care for him. You have already provided much aid to us as a group. I am asking this for myself. His well-being weighs heavily upon heart. If you say you will do this, I know it will be done. I will be indebted to the Akaara...to the end of my days, when the wind sings for me no more, the Akaara have but to call on me.
I bow deeply with my last statement, and return slowly to upright.


Jon nods at Gendo's words. "I, too, will bind myself to Gendo's oath. You'll always have my aid."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric nods, standing a little straighter given the Akaara's praise.
"Aye. Naturally, I think Gendo will want to do the honors seeing his master after so long, but if you've got the time to make sure he's not starving to death, we'd be more than obliged."

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The akaara nod. "Your words ring true under sun and sky. We shall see to your master 'ere he die. We shall aid you now, as we can. Do as you will, then seek him, and us, with our clan."

The akaara bid you to go to the top of the tower. Heading to the third floor, you exit the trap door in the ceiling to the roof. Meeting you there, the two akaara hunters lift and glide your group, two at a time, across the chasm, cutting more than half a day's travel off your time. They then fly off with your map to find Master Ironhead and return him to the akaara hunting camp.


"Griffons, eh?"

Knowledge: Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 to know anything about griffons

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

You know that they are fierce aerial predators. Combining the most fearsome traits of eagle and lion, they are dangerous opponents. With what the akaara have already told you, it is a recent arrival to the area. It's clashes with the birdfolk are likely due to it attempting to establish new hunting territory. They are said to prefer horse flesh over all other food.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Relieved to be back on the ground, Auric waves his thanks to the Akaara. As the party of rebels trudge toward the barrow, he says,"What do you think our best bet is to drive it off? I'm guessing they don't want it killed. We could hunt down or scare off a lot of the prey in the area, I guess... or just throw rocks at it 'till it gets the hint."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Capture and tame it is a viable option. It would akin to taming a wild animal...horribly difficult, but something worthwhile. It could even be tamed to become a part of the Akaara people - protection. Perhaps a ludicrous idea, but one I feel worth pursuing.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

You manage to make your way back into the valley where the Blue Baron's barrow lies. Squeezing past the stone laid over the entrance, you move into the entrance chamber and make your way back to his sarcophagus. You find the tall, emaciated form of the warrior looming at the top of the stairs down to his crypt.

"You have returned..."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Aye, we have Baron...", Auric says.
He pulls the recovered sword from its sheath and holds it out for the revenant to grasp.
"And so has your sword."

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"Ahhhh..." The sigh seems to resonate from the very stones of the chamber itself, as he wraps his gauntlet about the hilt. "You have kept your word and restored my honor. Winterthorn will sleep by my side once more. Always have I been known as one who gifted those that serve me well. That has not changed. Come, receive Maddock's generosity." he says. Then the great figure turns, tattered cloak swirling behind him, and he descends the stairs.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Holding his lantern aloft, Auric follows Maddock deeper into the barrow.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The group descends to Maddock's burial chamber. Once there, the undead warrior approaches the stone sarcophagus. He lays his hands on one end and gives a heave. With a grinding of stone on stone, the sarcophagus pivots a full 90 degrees, revealing a hollow beneath. The gleam of gold and other objects is caught by Auric's lantern light.

Maddock kneels before the hollow, fishing around with long, withered fingers. He comes up with things one at a time, turning and presenting them to one of you before going back for more.

"You," he says to Auric, "will find this to your liking. Crafted by the stout folk, it is. May it turn every blade and point that seeks your heart, except the one meant for you." Auric is given a shining shirt of mail, amazingly fine and light. Mithral shirt. "Also this, as the mail will not work against the spells of those that raided my tomb, but this should help to foil their magics." He hands Auric a folded woolen cloak, dyed a deep blue. Cloak of resistance +1

To Jon he presents a charm, apparently carved from some type of horn, inlaid with silver and borne on a leather cord. "This toughens the skin of those that wear it. A fine thing when enemies are about." Amulet of natural armor +1 "And here is an odd thing I never had the chance to use. Quaff this, and can breath fire at your enemies like a dragon." Maddock hands Jon a drinking horn, its top capped with wood and sealed with wax. Elixir of fire breath.

"You, boy, were blue and shivering when I first laid eyes on you. Take these and wear them well. They'll take the bite out of winter's breath." Maddock presents Gendo with a pair of leather boots lined with a thick white fur. Boots of the winterlands.

"For you, small one, this quiver," he says, handing the suede leather container to William. "The ten black-fletched arrows are enchanted for a sharper bite on the enemy. The ten white-fletched arrows have heads of silver. The other two score ensure you don't run out before the enemy are dead. Use them well." Efficient quiver, with 10 +1 arrows and 10 silver arrows, as well as another 40 normal arrows.

Finally, he presents each member of the group with a heavy gold ring, cunningly crafted and engraved with knotwork patterns. "The traditional gift of a lord to his vassal. Now go in peace and I shall return to my slumber." Each of you receives a gold ring worth 50gp.


Jon bows his head. "These are fine gifts indeed. I thank you, sir and I shall try to live worthy of them."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric is speechless for a moment, receiving the shirt, the cloak and the ring.
"I have never seen or received a gift so fine. Thank you, Duke Maddock and rest well."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Duke Maddock, your generosity is most welcome. Thank you for your kindness. These gifts will be put to good use. I do not wish to insult your generosity, especially as I am certain that these boots will serve me well; you have something else, at least for me, that would be far more valuable.

I take a deep breath before continuing, Duke, you hail from a time that is all but forgotten. Your exploits barely remembered in song. Far more valuable for me would knowledge. Knowledge of your time. The people, the culture, customs. There is so much that has been forgotten and lost. Knowledge from a time when humans were not looked upon as vermin, a time when humans reached heights we can only dream about today.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Maddock gives a low growl, rising up to his full height of nearly seven feet. "I fought for many years to carve this land from the hands of the beasts that held it, for my king and my people. I have earned my rest. I am no court scribe and my boasting days in the mead hall are over." An unsettling light rises in his red eyes, and for a brief moment you fear he might attack you.

However, he simply crouches again before the treasure cache, reaching down and pulling up another golden trinket, which he hands to Gendo.

"This shall open the way to a place of knowledge, where you may find your answers. Consult the map in the armory. It will show you the way."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

As I take the trinket with a good deal of trepidation, in a respectful and humble voice I respond, You have my humblest apologies and gratitude, your grace. I did not mean to offend or keep you from your well earned rest so wrongfully disrupted. Should your rest be disturbed again, if there is some way, please call upon me for aid.

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Upon closer examination, the trinket appears to be bronze, not gold, yet it is untouched by verdigris or any other sign that time has touched it. It looks to be a strangely shaped key, with teeth arrayed in a star-shaped pattern at its end.

"Yesss...rest." The rest of Gendo's words seem to have gone unheard by the unliving lord.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I make myself scarce, heading to the armory map to ascertain where the gift of knowledge is located.


Jon bows his head and leaves the ghost to his rest, following Gendo out.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric bows as he thinks appropriate to the resting Duke before following Gendo with his lantern.
"Boy, that was close. Glad he didn't lose his temper- I bet a more solid reminder of humanity's lost golden days would go a long ways toward raising more support for the Hand, though."

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Within the armory, a quick perusal shows that the vaulted ceiling bears a cracked and faded fresco, a map of the surrounding lands. Upon closer inspection, one site draws Gendo's attention immediately, as it is labeled the Sanctum of Mimir.

Knowledge(geography) check with a +5 circumstance bonus for the map to determine its exact location.


Knowledge (geo): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Looks like Jon's having a brain fart. =/

Jon:
Scratching your head, you peer up at the map, a bit befuddled. Perhaps it's the looking up rather than down that does it, but you're feeling a bit turned around looking at it. You think, judging from the terrain, that the place is somewhere in the mountains Northwest of Dunshale, the small village that lies in the shadow of the Jarl's fortress.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Will's bardic knowledge: 1d20 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 5 = 16

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Dedicated Voter 2015

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Will's fairly certain the location shown is about a half day's hike NE of Dunshale. That area of the mountains is known to be riddled with caves, often used as lairs by the creatures that live there.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Dunshale, eh? I heard the dwarves keep a tighter rein over there. Well, something to look into when we get your teacher back and discharge our debt to the Akaara. Speaking of which- you think it's time to get on that?"

1,201 to 1,250 of 1,903 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.