Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,101 to 1,150 of 1,903 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>

Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I grit my teeth in frustration at Varras' escape as I watch helpless as he flees.

It seems that we did indeed surprise him. Next time we will not be so fortunate I think.

Looking to Auric, What next my friend? Fulfill our three vows? Or seek out Varras' other companions?


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric curses, impotently swinging the Duke's sword.
"Blood and ashes! Almost had him.. and even if we do climb in after the bastard, we'll be sitting ducks for any hexes or sorcery he's got waiting for us.... and of course we threw all the corpses down there. Suppose we should let Ronk go, since he's fulfilled his end and see what we can do to prepare for the other two."


"If we don't let Ronk go, the necromancer will kill him for helping us. I do not expect we'll see the Necromancer again, though. Our vows were made upon the condition that we fulfill our obligations first. I believe we must seek out the companions."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

William looks flushed with victory. "He wasn't so tough. How should we prepare for the other two?"


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Looking to William, Though I am reluctant to disagree, lack of toughness did not result in our victory over Varras, rather his hubris and lack of awareness were his undoing, I think. We will not be so fortunate the next time, as he now knows we pursue. No, I think we have only touched upon what Varras is capable and will be sorely pressed when next we meet.

I pause a moment to allow my words to sink in. As for preparing for the other two, I say we ambush them as they enter the tower. Set fire to create smoke to provide cover and strike.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric rubs the back of his neck.

"Well, we've got the bridge that we can drop out. That cuts us off, but we can dispose of their monster that way if the opportunity comes up... What if we do this: Gendo, you stay down by the lever and wait for them to cross. If the opportunity comes up- say, if the ogre or any other part of the party that we don't need to interrogate comes last- you drop out the bridge. If not, you and Will can snipe at them from where we met Ronk. Will's got that handy grease spell and Jon can you use that trick you had with the branches and vines before- or is it too snowed in? We can use the tower to try and funnel them a bit... but will that just give 'em a chance to run? If we can keep the ogre and the mages on the ground with the grease, that will help our chances. Maybe we're better off just greasing up the bridge, blocking up the rear somehow and keeping them down that way?"


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

As I absorb Auric's words, I raise my eyebrows as a tought occurs to me.
Looking to Will, William, will the grease created by your magic burn? If so, that would certainly provide an alarming distraction.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

William: "Hmm... I'm not sure. I've never actually tried. It might burn, but if it was easy for it to catch fire and be used as a weapon, I'd probably have heard about it."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

So what's the plan?


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

I don't want to be the only guy with plans, but here's my idea- we got a smoke pellet and Auric still has a smokestick left. I suggest we wait until they're on the bridge (hoping it's not a windy day) and then toss the smoke pellet at the spellcasters to spoil line of sight. At that point we try to rush them in melee and get at least one alive to tell us where Gendo's sensei is being kept. I won't be completely diesel without smite evil available, but if we concentrate on disrupting spells and bringing down the ogre we may be able to beat them. Open to suggestions, too.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Not sure how difficult it would be to set up, but could we some how set up a couple of snare traps using the barrels and the cliff. Hopefully, drop the ogre into the chasm, unless of course he;s carrying Gendo's mentor. Maybe make the snare traps as part of Auric's plans. Sorry for the delay in response. I've been getting things prepared here in RL for when I go under the knife to have aprt of colon removed in a couple of weeks. A little distrubing to here plumbing analogies to describe the procedure.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

We could also use Will's grease spell to achieve the same effect. I believe he has all his spells available- and disguise self among them. He could pretend to be Ronk so that standing visible on the little cliff below the tower isn't suspicious until he starts casting a spell. Gendo, Jon and I could wait in the tower until we hear Will start casting so one of us can throw the smoke pellet.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I like it. Let's do it.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Snare traps would need a Craft(trapmaking) roll, which you could do untrained.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric gets to work preparing a few makeshift snares on the tower side of the bridge to maintain the bottleneck.
Craft (trapmaking) untrained: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Dammit, Jim, I'm a blacksmith not a furrier!


Could I use my Survival skill to make those snare traps?

If so, Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Hmm...actually, that would work. They're a bit bigger than what Jon is used to, but they'll operate on the same principle.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

What can I do to help?


Jon surveys the area and begins directing Gendo to find materials: vines, ropes, supple branches, as he can. Once the materials are assembled, the trap begins to take shape. Jon works slowly and methodically, checking each piece with care so as to waste no effort. As he works, he sings a low song about the land and its bounty, thanking the spirits that gave their being for this effort. Once he's finished, he stands back and nods.

"It's done."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

With the help of the others, Jon weighs four barrels down with snow and whatever your party finds amongst the old crates in the tower--rusty nails, old tools, and broken planks from the crates themselves--hiding them along the cliff. Jon runs snares across the width of the bridge, covering them in snow. You have no mechanism to accomplish the task in one motion, but have set it up so that the snares will catch on the feet of those walking over them, allowing for someone to push the weighted barrels over the cliff, hopefully taking the caught opponent with it.

With the task done, you set yourselves in position, awaiting the arrival of the necromancer's companions. Minutes stretch into hours. The hours feel like days. Dark clouds hang ominously in the sky, but the snow they threaten does not come yet.

Where would you like to be positioned for your ambush? You have a total of six snares across the bridge, each attached to a weighted barrel, with a total of three on either side. Once a victim has tripped the snare, you'll need someone to kick the barrel over the cliff to complete the trap. The three on each side are close together, so you'll only need one person near the cliff on either side to handle them.

(Map for reference) I've added markers for the pit traps in the tower levels, marked the snares (x), and the barrels (0).


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Gendo will position himself in square H15. As an additional prep, I will load my crossbow and lay it down...pointing away from me in square G16. The barrels should probably be covered with snow so as to appear to not have been moved there since the last time his allies showed up.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

I will suggest putting Will on the opposite side from Gendo- H5 or thereabouts. That way he can cast grease toward the rear to close off our quarry.

Jon and myself can conceal ourselves in the tower- B7 and D7?- and run out when we hear Will casting or any other commotion. That's when we throw the smoke pellet to blind them so they blunder into the trap.


Auric's idea works for me. I'll go where I'm directed, scythe in hand.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

With the plan in place--barrels covered in snow and your party hidden in wait--the group awaits the arrival of their quarry. The day whiles on, hours slipping by before anything happens. The snow begins to fall again, heavy flakes drifting down to blanket the bridge and surrounding area. The silence it brings allows you to hear William's occasional grumbling about standing around to be buried in it. It makes seeing anything on the other side of the bridge difficult, however.

As the group begins to worry about losing light, they are alerted to the sounds of others on the opposite side of the gorge. DC 0 Perception They are taking no great pains to hide their approach. The creak of leather and clink of steel presage their arrival. As they near the ambush spot, you all realize that a different quarry has wandered into your ambush.

Nearing your end of the bridge you see a half dozen squat, broad figures in armor, crossbows at the ready with axes and shields slung across their backs. The lead figure stands out with his distinctive, spiky armor and helm...


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I forgot about the dwarves. DOH!!!


Shall we drop the bridge, then? Let the dwarves learn to fly?


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Well... guess we either catch them or hope the other guys jump in and fight the dwarves while we quietly back away. Even though they've made it very clear they want us dead, it's not going to help the Hand if we just up and kill a patrol....

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The surprise round is yours, so when you're ready to act, give me initiatives and actions. It is currently snowing, so Perception Checks are at a -4, ranged attacks are at -2, and visibility is halved. Also remember that due to the current snowfall movement costs double.


"Do you think we should try diplomacy? I'm still not convinced the flying dwarf idea isn't a sound one."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric sighs.
"I doubt it's going to work, but I guess I'd better talk to them so we can at least say we tried. Sound as it may be, dropping Ba'al's favored people in the gorge won't endear me to my god. Nor will it help the Hand to have a dead patrol on their hands to rile up the Thanes. I'll go out and try to speak with them... if I get a crossbow bolt in my gut, I'm relying on you to pull me out, though."

Auric pulls up his hood, sheathes the Duke's sword and walks outside into the storm. Approaching the bridge, he holds his right hand up to show it's empty... though his shield is still strapped to his left arm.

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

"Hold, if Ba'al's justice means anything to you.", he calls,"We are not your enemies, even if you are set on making us so. A true threat to the Iron Marches dwells in these mountains- and you can serve your Thane far better apprehending them, if you will but listen."
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Paladins have to try.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I wait, hopefully expectant that Auric will be able to sway the dwarves.

Initiative:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The approaching party stops, peering about to locate Auric as he calls out to them. One of them focuses his attention on the door of the tower and calls the attention of the others in that direction. Gendo and William do not appear to have been spotted yet. Crossbows at the ready, their leader calls back.

"Many true threats to the Iron Marches dwell in these mountains. I am charged with rooting out any and all of them. For now I seek four rebels and murderers of dwarves. If you are the ones we seek, you'd best come out and give yourselves up."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Rebels, perhaps. But murderers? No. The culprits behind your slain- and unwholesomely reanimated- kinsmen will be through this pass in a matter of time. A gnome, an outcast dwarf and their cohorts. Unlikely as it sounds, I can offer proof. But that depends on whether you're willing to stay your hands and remain where you are long enough to see it."
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Do we have the journal from Varas' apprentice? We can also present the letter to Moxug and a foreign coin.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Yes, you still have her journal.

"Let's see this 'proof' then. Come forward, alone, and show me. No tricks. If I see but a glimpse of your friends, I'll slaughter the lot of you. You have the word of Morgrim Thrallhammer on that."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric steps outside, the letter from Varrus to Moxug, the apprentice's journal and a coin bearing a human face bundled in hand. He trudges slowly to the bridge with his package in view and his weapons sheathed. Reaching the end of the bridge, he gently tosses the lot of them to land at the dwarves' feet. I'm guessing we don't want to give away our snare traps just yet.

"The journal of a necromancer's apprentice, a letter to their bugbear servant and a coin from their land of origin. That is our proof."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Morgrim picks up the evidence and takes the time to read through the letter and journal. His men look distinctly uncomfortable standing there as the snow collects on their shoulders and helmets, but their captain is oblivious to their concerns. Oddly, he seems more put out by the coin than the written evidence of enemy spellcasters. After several long minutes, he turns his attention back to Auric.

"Well, seems you're correct, human. This points to a great danger than yourselves. However, since these vermin don't seem to be in the immediate vicinity, I'll settle for arresting the lot of you first before hunting them down. Lay down your arms and come quietly, and we won't need to resort to--"

Morgrim is interrupted by a bellow, as a burly giant of unwholesome aspect, clad in bearskins, comes barreling up the arch of the bridge. Mounted on its shoulders is a gnome swathed in green-dyed wool. With a few articulated gestures and words he raises a cloud of thin mist around the dwarves.

Some distance behind Auric, four creatures appear out of thin air. They look to be rats, but are the size of dogs. Their oily black fur, burning red eyes, and yellowed incisors stand out against the snow. They bound through the snow towards the paladin, squealing hideously.

Map (The gnome and his ogre mount are not on the map yet, they are on the bridge to the east, approximately 100ft from Auric's position.)


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"And here I was thinking we'd be the best of friends...", Auric mutters as he pulls out the Duke's sword and trudges toward the knot of rats.
"Showtime, lads! Try not to get the dwarves if you can help it!"
20 feet to F9, swinging at a rat.
Duke's sword: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 81d8 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 4 + (4) = 13


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I grab my crossbow and shoot at in square D11.

Attack:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Damage if I hit:1d8 ⇒ 2


Jon will sigh and step out of the cast entangle, centered just beyond the dwarves. He doesn't quite care if the dwarves are entangled; he mainly just wants to keep the giant and rats at bay! Reflex DC 14, 3 minute duration

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Dice rolls:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 281d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 131d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 201d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 91d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 211d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 211d20 ⇒ 201d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Initiative Order:

Gendo
Morgrim
Jon
Auric
Dwarven soldiers
William
R.O.U.S.es
Zapazarus/Ogre

Round 1:

Gendo fires his crossbow at one of the rats, the bolt plunging into the snow behind it as it moves.

Morgrim begins shouting orders, commanding his men to fire on the ogre, then for the back rank to form a defensive line. Then the captain fires his weapon at the gnome, but his shot goes wide. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Jon casts his spell, but notes no effect, as the bridge is devoid of vegetation.

Auric draws the magic blade and closes on the rats. He swings, but the rat ducks away from the attack, baring its teeth.

The soldiers fire their crossbows at the ogre. Two of them strike home, drawing a howl of pain from the creature. The others are thwarted by the snow or the thick hides the ogre wears. 11hp damage.

William casts a spell, coating the snow beneath the rats with grease, causing two of the rats (D10, E10) to slip and fall.

The two fallen rats continue to flounder. Meanwhile the others move on Auric, snapping at him, but he fends off both attacks.

The gnome urges his "mount" onward, and the ogre trudges along the bridge towards the dwarves at a surprisingly fleet pace. Zapazarus casts a spell, pointing in the direction of the dwarves, with no apparent effect.

Map


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric swings for the rat before him.
Duke's Blade: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 171d8 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 4 + (1) = 7
Between dodging their bites, he looks around for where the outcast dwarf might be.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
If I may, I'll try to supplement it with Detect Evil.


"Curse this weather and curse this bridge!" Jon mumbles as he stumbles outside and launches an attack at the rats with his scythe.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 2d4 + 4 ⇒ (3, 1) + 4 = 8

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Made a slight adjustment to the map. I realized I didn't move the other rat that attacked Auric.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I move to square F12 and attack the rat between Auric and myself.

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Damage if I hit: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Round 2:

Gendo moves out from cover and into melee combat, snapping a kick at one of the rats. Adjusting attack roll by +2 for flanking. The rat recoils moving before the strike can land.

Morgrim admonishes his men to stand firm as he reloads his crossbow for another attack.

Jon exits the tower and moves to the combat, swinging his scythe at one of the rats floundering in the grease. Adjusting attack roll by +4 for prone opponent. The rat rolls at the last second, and Jon misses by a hair.

Looking around at the nearby area, Auric makes out a short, broad humanoid figure about forty feet southwest from his location, concealed behind a rock. Lashing out with the sword, he slices into the side of one of the threatening rats, felling it.

Morgrim's ranks begin to fall into disarray. Two of his men in the front rank readies their axes and shields against the ogre's approach. However, the third jams the end of his crossbow into his mouth, chewing hard enough on it to draw blood and crack teeth. 8hp damage. Meanwhile, the two in the back ranks also act strangely. One begins yodeling, while the other bashes himself between the eyes with the butt of his crossbow. 3hp damage.

William launches an arrow at the ogre, but his attack is stopped by the hides the giant wears. [ooc]Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

The two fallen rats continue to flounder, one biting at Jon but the druid steps away from its gnashing teeth. The one still in the fight bites at Auric its teeth gouging his shield as he holds the beast at bay.

Zapazarus halts his ogre mount, which pulls out a javelin and hurls it at one of the dwarves at the gnome's urging. The javelin thuds off the warrior's shield. Zapazarus casts another spell, his form becoming fuzzy and unclear, blurring him into a cackling green smudge.

Map


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I continue to attack the dire rat.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

I am going under the knife tomorrow morning for surgery, partial colectomy. This is going to keep me away from computer for 5 or 6 days while I am in the hospital for recoery. As far as Gendo's actions in combat, he's come to trust Auric's instincts and will follow his lead in combat. His driving goal is to recover his mentor more than the book, gladly trading the book for his mentor if needs be.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric teams up on the rat between himself and Gendo, making sure it's dead before cleaning up the others.
Sword: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 221d8 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 4 + (4) = 15
Unmodified. It's a 24 if Gendo's attack didn't kill the one that's flanked. If it is dead, I'll go for the other one in melee range.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1
Gendo wrote:


I am going under the knife tomorrow morning for surgery, partial colectomy. This is going to keep me away from computer for 5 or 6 days while I am in the hospital for recoery. As far as Gendo's actions in combat, he's come to trust Auric's instincts and will follow his lead in combat. His driving goal is to recover his mentor more than the book, gladly trading the book for his mentor if needs be.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Best of luck, Gendo. We'll see you when you return.

Round 3:

Initiative Order:

Gendo
Morgrim
Jon
Auric
Dwarven soldiers
William
R.O.U.S.es
Zapazarus/Ogre

Gendo snaps off another kick against the rat in front of him and takes the rat in the side of the head.

Cursing the gnome's magics, Morgrim orders his cogent men to advance on the ogre. Then he takes a shot with his crossbow before dropping it to the snow and pulling the dwarven waraxe from his back. The bolt takes the ogre with a glancing strike to the shoulder.

Jon takes another swing at one of the floundering rats, slicing open its side. The rat ceases its struggles.
Attack & Damage: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 232d4 + 3 ⇒ (2, 1) + 3 = 6

Auric takes a great overhand swing and separates the rat's head from its body.

The dwarven soldiers' situation continues to deteriorate. As the one continues his yodeling, one of the dwarves that seemed prepared to advance with Morgrim turns and swings his axe at the yodeler. Most of the impact is absorbed by the dwarf's mail, but he is wounded. 4hp damage. The other three damage themselves, one continuing to gnaw on his crossbow, the second striking himself in the face with the butt of his crossbow, and the last catching himself in the eye with the edge of his shield. 4, 4, and 5hp damage respectively.

William watches the dwarves take themselves apart with a look of disbelief. Then he speaks. "Fear not friends, for we can win this battle, so long as our hearts hold fast and we risk all without fear. Rally! We shall defeat them!" Inspire courage. That said, He steps around one of the barrels and drops off the edge of the cliff. 1d6 ⇒ 1 hp damage.

The last rat finally struggles up to its feet, giving Auric an opening to attack. The swing nearly cleaves the rat in twain. Attack roll 17, for 17 points of damage.

The feeling of victory is short-lived, however, as a small mound of earth rises out of the snow to the left of Gendo. It sprouts arms and legs, taking on a humanoid form about William's height. It lashes out at the monk, who narrowly dodges the swing.

The ogre pulls another javelin and hurls it at Morgrim, only to have the missile splinter against the dwarf captain's mail. Zapazarus squeaks out a spell and four bright green bolts of energy lance out, piercing Morgrim's armor and drawing blood, though the dwarf stills stands.

Map


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Whoa, Will just dropped off the cliff?!

"He'll keep throwing these things at us all day- we gotta get after the source!", Auric says, pointing to the dwarf behind the rock. "Gendo, you're in a better position- keep him off balance!"

I'd like to direct Gendo to use a withdraw action to move to B15 without incurring an AoO from the elemental- if he makes a diagonal five foot move toward the end he should end up threatening him if my calculations are correct.

Trudging forward, he swings a blow at the creature of stone.
Move 10 feet to F11, attack the elemental.
Duke's Sword w/inspire courage: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 221d8 + 5 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 5 + (3) = 16

1,101 to 1,150 of 1,903 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.