Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


801 to 850 of 1,903 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Moving back into the main room, you pass the great stone table on the way to the ramp in the south. Halfway there, you note footsteps, and then a tall figure looms at the edge of your lamplight. It may once have been a giant of a man, nearly seven feet in height. A mass of hair crowns its head, draping down over its face, but doing nothing to hide the hateful red eyes that gleam in the shadow of its face. Seeing you, its gauntleted fists clench...the only weapons it seems to have, as you note a great scabbard across its back, sitting empty. The figure speaks, its rasping voice echoing through the chamber.

"Why have you returned? You have already disturbed my rest. Shall I kill more of your minions, or will you go back on your word and press me into your service? Wait...I do not see the wizard...shall I crush his graverobbers before he arrives?"


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric takes the undead giant's measure for a moment: Detect evil and Sense Motive
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

"We seek the wizard and his servants; disturbing your rest was unintentional."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric:
You focus on the withered figure of the warrior before you feel an unclean aura wrap about you like a cold rancid fog. This is an evil of considerable power. He radiates an aura of moderate evil.

"You do not serve the necromancer? Then you must aid me. His servant has stolen my blade and thus disturbed my rest. I would have torn him asunder, but the wizard held me at bay with his powers. Then they escaped me. I cannot rest with my tomb so defiled. Retrieve the sword for me, and allow a noble warrior to return to his deserved final slumber. Do this, and I will reward you for your service."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I step forward, and in a bold, yet respectful voice, with my head slightly bowed, Why was your blade taken? Long you have slumbered, such that who you were, your deeds, and your blade are forgotten to myth and legend. If we are to aid you, knowledge is necessary.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"Long have I slumbered indeed, if I am forgotten in the world of men. I was Maddock, the Blue Baron, thane to High King Argentus, who united the clans of the north. My sword, Winterthorn, was the bane of many an orc or rebel clansman. I cut a bloody swath in the service of my king, and for my service was buried with wealth and dignity...with my treasures, loyal servants, my mail and my blade."

Here the figure grows angry. He steps into your lantern light, revealing a bearded visgage whose flesh is withered and leathery, stretched tight across his bones. The red eyes blaze as he speaks of his lost blade.

"My blade was taken because my barrow was plundered by thieves! Filthy goblins, a black necromancer, and a great furry beast who claimed my blade! I am cursed with unrest until my sword is once again with me. I killed some of the gobins that defiled my tomb, but then the mage quelled my rage with his magic, bid me stand down and speak with him. Then he left with his servant, that great hairy goblin, that bugbear, and with it went my sword!

He swings a gauntleted fist against a stony support beam, splintering its surface with the force of his blow.


Male Halfling Bard 2

William is clearly unsettled by the undead thane, he takes several steps back as Maddock enters the light, "Recover your sword...right, well I suppose we'd best be off to get it back quickly then. We bid you farewell Thane and we shall return as soon as possible with your blade. Just try to relax...however someone in your, um...condition does that...and wait for our return."

William then motions to the others to follow and carefully makes his way back to the tomb's coverstone with quick sideways steps, keeping the hulking undead in his vision.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric lingers a moment longer.
"One last question, Thane: did any of these thieves mention where they were going next? It will make retrieving your blade for you much faster if there is anything you can recall."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I step back involuntarily at the display of rage.
My voice is surprisingly steady in the face of the undead Thane.

We have been tracking this necromancer. Much there is for which he must answer. Now the travesty of disturbing your slumber and theft of Winterthorn is added. If it is within our capabilities, we shall recover and return Winterthorn to you. My voice remains respectful.

Noble Thane, I have but one more question before we take our leave. Did the defilers, other than to quell your rage and steal from you, say anything else. It would aid us greatly.

I want to see ifI can recall anything about the Blue Baron

Knowledge: History check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gendo:
Nothing immediately important comes to mind. However there is an old song, The Battle of the Blue Baron, that surfaces from dim memories of your childhood. It involved a series of verses about a brave warrior, the Baron, fighting various hordes of monsters with his magic sword. You thought it nothing more than a song, but it apparently has its roots deeper into human history than conventional knowledge has retained. Perhaps this is an opportunity to regain this lost lore.

The undead thing seems momentarily calmed by Gendo's request. It paces about the end of the chamber.

"They said many things, things I did not care to know or to hear. If it will help you to return my sword, I shall try to recall them."

Maddock strides forward, causing you to involuntarily fall back before him. He stops at the end of the stone table, leaning his fists upon its surface, his head bowing forward until his hideous visage is veiled by his long gray hair.

"The wizard bore a great tome. It seemed new to him and he reveled in the power it gave him. He asked me questions about the lands here about, questions of things from the time when I lived. I mentioned a fortress that once stood near here, and it greatly interested him. He wished to find it, if it still stands.

When he left, he told the one that stole my sword that they were meeting their companions...somewhere...to the west...near a river? Yes! At a bridge! A stone bridge over a river. That was where his companions awaited him."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Noble Thane, is the fortress to the west as well? In the same direction as the bridge? Or does it lie elsewhere? No more shall I ask. For too delay any longer would be foolish. I bow deeply, ready to move quickly if I have pressed too deeply.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"Yes. Come, I will show you." The figure whirls and strides back to the end of the room and down the ramp, not looking back to see if you're following.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric shrugs and follows.
"Any of you guys have paper, some charcoal or ink? Might need to update our maps..."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

That was unexpected. My voice soft, but loud enough for any nearby to hear.

We should follow the...er...Thane. I do not believe the shade of Maddock means us harm. I remember a song from childhood called The Battle of the Blue Baron...

As I move to follow, I explain that the song was a honorarium to Maddock, his blade Winterthorn, and his exploits of battle.


"This... consorting with the dead. It bothers me. Makes my back itch." Jon keeps his voice low, but he's clearly on edge.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"He can point us to where we need to go and it's better that sword sit here with him than in our enemy's hands..."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The ramp leads down to a circular room. At the center is a raised bier with a stone sarcophagus, it's lid lying beside it. Moldering remnants of trophies--banners, shields, weapons, and even heads--line the walls. The light of your lantern reveals that the ceiling above you is painted with a great map, revealing the Marches as they were in Maddock's day. It is marked with various settlements, fortresses, and other points of interest.

He grabs up a spear from nearby, it's wooden haft petrified like the other wood in this place, and begins to point out the bridge and then the fortress. This allows you to find the same areas on the map you gained from Mesira. From the look of it the bridge isn't far; with the map and the tracks in the snow you should be able to find it easily enough. The spot where the fortress stood is further away, and may be more difficult to locate.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Thane Maddock, the knowledge you have provided will be put to good use. I reiterate that if it is within our power to recover and return Winterthorn to you, it will be done.

I bow, before turning to William, Auric, and Jon.

It seems fortune may be turning in our favor. I say we make for the bridge and ambush them. Perhaps we might find some way to enlist the aid of our sky-friends.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"We should make for that bridge on the double, then. I'm hesitant to get further in the birdfolk's debt, though. We owe them as it is- we ask them to risk their lives for us further then we're really straining their hospitality."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

True,, I begin as I turn to Auric, however, consider the possibilities: we don't ask for their aid, and we run a greater risk of being outmatched and overwhelmed and things escalate to a point beyond what we ourselves can handle, this leads to more and more undead shambling about, which will soon begin to plague them as well as everyone else, until the problem is too big to ignore and then it becomes too late for anyone to do anything. We ask for their aid, and that gives us an edge that they would not forsee. Why would the Aakora get involved with land dweller problems. One more debt for their aid is a small price to pay in my eyes.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"You're right Gendo- from a tactical standpoint it makes perfect sense... But isn't the Hand of Jorin's mission to prove that we- humans and halflings and everything in between- can solve our own problems? That we don't need the dwarves or anyone else to take care of us like indulgent parents and patronizing guardians? Maybe it's my pride talking, but what does it say about us if we have to go hat in hand to the Aaroka to take care of the mission our superiors gave us? I think we should handle this ourselves."


Male Halfling Bard 2

William speaks up from his position at the base of the ramp, far from Maddocks unsetling form, "As much as I would be grateful for some extra backup, I think this may well be a moot point. If the Akaara were willing to provide us any further aid, wouldn't they have accompanied us to the Thane's barrow in the first place? I doubt they will be willing to do much beyond give us directions on the fastest way to reach the bridge? To that end, I suggest we make haste back to meet our guides and recieve such directions.", the halfling sighs heavily, "...I think we're on our own for this one."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I rub my chin absently with my right hand, as I listen intently to Auric and William.

Pride aside, the truth of both your words is plainly evident. Unless Jon has an objection, let us make haste to the bridge and hopefully reach it before our quarry. Perhaps we can then turn the tide on our quarry.


Jon shakes his head. "I've no objections. Truth is, strategy is not my strong point."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The four of you ascend to the main chamber, leaving the corrupted form of Maddock behind. He barely seems to note your departure, but then his voice echoes up from the burial chamber: "Yes...go...retrieve my blade...my rest..."

You squeeze past the slab, blinking at the light as you emerge back into the cold day, assessing your map and the tracks left in the snow by your quarry.

I presume you'll be speaking to your guides before setting off on your own. Once that's done, I'll need a Survival check from someone for when you leave the valley for the high ground again in order to keep following the trail (with an added +2 for your map which is now marked with your destination.)


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Looks like Jon's chance to shine!
Once the group has trudged back to their guides, Auric says,"We found our quarry's trail and some information leading us to an old bridge nearby and a fortress. We're going to quickly try to deal with our enemies at the bridge and then return to discharge our debt to you."


Survival: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Jon takes a moment to get his bearings, then begins scanning the area. He'll also use the cantrip know direction as needed.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon's fairly certain that the trail leading up out of the valley he can follow with his eyes closed, relying on information from Auric (who can also have one eye closed if he so chooses). He's estimating a dozen goblins, give or take one or two, the bugbear, and one human, judging from the tracks.

Your group finds an abandoned campsite not far from the barrow, a shallow cave sheltered by a tree. The remains of a campfire and quite a bit of refuse--remains of food, bits of garbage taken from the barrow--are all that remain. Jon says they have about a day's lead on you, no more.

Heading up into a pass on the west side of the vale, the trail becomes slightly more difficult to read as you move onto more rock ground (Jon would have to keep one eye open at this point.) The sun has warmed things to the point where the cold is no longer a danger, but this will likely change once night falls.

At one point, where the trail leads across a flat, narrow, valley, Jon comes upon a disturbance. The singular trail becomes a scattering of individual tracks, and he finds a good deal of blood upon the ground. Judging from the way one set of goblin prints suddenly stops, he thinks the group was attacked by an airborne predator, that snatched up one of the goblins and flew off. After this, the rest regrouped and kept moving.

By the time evening arrives, you think you've traveled about half way to the spot indicated on your map. You find the remnants of a campsite where your quarry stopped to rest, and as luck would have it, the goblins hacked down more wood from the surrounding foliage then they could burn in one sitting, providing your group with fuel for your own fire this night.

I'll need another Survival check from Jon for his efforts to keep the group sheltered and warm for the night. Also, a watch list and Perception checks for each of you while on watch.


Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Jon will take the first watch. He wants to watch the stars come out.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric will take third watch to get the most out of his low-light vision.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


Male Halfling Bard 2

Not much of a morning person, William will take the second watch.
Perception : 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 not much of a sentry either it would appear...


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

That leaves last watch for me. Which suits me just fine, as the moment before the dawn are the best time to meditate and contemplate.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon is able to provide a shelter that makes the most of the group's small fire, and conserves the leftover wood, which he judges you should take with you; the rest of your journey may not lend itself to additional fuel. Two days worth of firewood, divided as you see fit to carry. While you're night can't be compared with a night at home, you have no worries of succumbing to the cold.

Jon is treated to a grand display as the stars blanket the sky, uninhibited by the lights of civilization. He notes one particularly bright one, in the sky to the north, and remembers the tales Oroupah told him before they parted company. However, towards the end of his watch, clouds begin rolling in from the west, obscuring the sky and threatening more snow.

William's watch is quiet and uneventful, with only the crackle of the fire and the sounds of his companions' breathing for company.

On Auric's watch the wind picks up a bit. He thinks he hears the sounds of howling, like a wolf's on the wind, but too distant to be a threat worth waking anyone.

Gendo greets the dawn as the first flakes of a new snow begin to fall, occasionally thrown into flurries by the wind. By the time he wakes the rest of the party to breakfast, it is falling thickly, blanketing the area with a new layer of white.

As you set out again, the trail from yesterday is all but invisible to the untrained eye. Jon once again takes the lead, using his skills and the map to keep you on course. Another survival check for today's travel.


Survival 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon's trained eye keeps you on track. He assures you he can still see signs of your quarry's passage, and they do indeed seem headed to the bridge you have marked on your map. The snow falls heavily for a few hours, laying down a good half foot by midday before finally tapering off. You trudge along until well into the afternoon.

Finally, as you crest a rise, you see the trail dropping away before you into a deep ravine. The trail switches back on itself several times before ending in a river chasm, however unlike the last one, this one has a stone bridge arcing over it at its narrowest point. It seems almost magical in its ability to resist the pull of gravity. There is a small square tower set on the cliff near the far side of the bridge. There is no apparent activity around the tower or on the bridge itself. All is quiet but the sounds of the rushing river below.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric surveys the scene, frowning to himself.
"What do you think, guys? Might be too good to be true to think they're all asleep for the day... maybe they moved on or they're waiting to ambush us. But that assumes they know we're coming..."


Male Halfling Bard 2

Sorry everyone, I've been completely bogged down with moving and my new job but I've finally got everything under control again :)

William stares at the tower for a few moments before answering Auric, "I think we'd best assume they are waiting for us. That tower presents the best opportunity to dig in and ambush us we've seen so far. I'd wager my my last copper they're inside right now, waiting for us to arrive."

How long is the bridge across the ravine? Are there any trees or brush that might obscure our approach up to the bridge?


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Assume the worst, hope for the best? I say with what a light hearted voice.

To be sure, I do not like this. However, I'm not sure that they are expecting us, so much as their companions. Which means if they are smart, someone will be on watch at the very least. Though a thought has occurred to me, they have been progressing steadily, constantly moving from one goal to the next. They came here to meet their friends. If fortune is with us, they are looking in the other direction. My face tightens in thought for a moment, as I absently rub my chin with my right hand.

I say we move quickly, but quietly across the bridge. If they have someone on watch, we'll know soon enough. If not, then they have made a grave error. As I mentor always taught: it's not what one knows that gets you into trouble, it's what you know with certitude that will.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Only one thing to do, then. Baal, give me strength..."
Auric advances on the bridge, shield up and ready.


Male Halfling Bard 2

William heaves a sigh at the ever impatient big folk before knocking an arrow and following Auric towards the bridge, "I suppose there will be time for subtlety another day...provided we see another day..."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The bridge itself is a marvel of engineering. It spans a gap you'd guess is two hundred feet across. The far side is actually at a higher elevation than the side you approach from, probably forty feet or so higher. The tower itself is a three story affair, and given the higher vantage point has a good view of your side.

Map to follow. Sorry for the delay, been sorting out a few things over the weekend and fell behind on gaming pursuits.


"Whatever is to be done, let's be about it. This feels too easy to be true."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Side view map of the bridge and tower (not to scale, just for general reference)

Auric in the lead, the group starts its way up onto the bridge. All is calm until the party reaches the midpoint of the bridge, when arrows come whistling down from slits in the upper portion of the tower. One manages to clatter off Auric's shield, the others simply plunge into the snow around your group. Your opponents appear to have terrible aim. You have 100 feet to cover before reaching the tower. There appears to be an entrance on the south side of the tower, facing the western approach to the bridge.


Male Halfling Bard 2

"I told you they would be waiting, thank Daena for the shoddy aim of goblins! Keep moving, I'll try to give us some cover!"

William stops for a moment and frantically casts a spell. William's incantation seems to summon a bank of dark churning fog.

Cast Silent Image, DC 14 Will to disbelieve.

If the tower is small enough for it to block all the windows, William will form the five 10ft cubes into a vertical wall directly in front of the tower that blocks sight of the bridge.

If the tower is too large then he will form it into a 50ft long strip that he will place about 15ft above the bridge and leading out from the tower to shield as much of the bridge as possible.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Too true William.

If the bridge is wide enough, I will move to run ([ooc]hopefully putting me just near the base of the tower]) past Auric, hoping to draw fire away from my companions. Otherwise I'll just stick with them.


Jon hunches his shoulders against the arrows and levels the scythe across his body. "We must get out of the open if we are to survive. Move quickly!"


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric keeps running toward the end of the bridge, shield held high.
"Just stay behind me, we'll teach 'em a thing or two!"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

William casts his spell, sending a wall of illusory fog up the side of the tower, blocking the windows. Auric, Jon, and Gendo move up and across the bridge, finding it impossible to run due to the snow that has accumulated. Moving as fast as they are able (double move; each outdoor square will count as difficult terrain) they close the distance to the tower.

From Gendo's vantage point he can see a doorway on the south side of the tower. The door appears to have been removed or destroyed at some time in the past, but the entrance is blocked by a makeshift barricade.

Another volley of arrows comes from the tower, the missiles shuffing into the snow well behind your group. It appears that William's gambit has worked.

Map

I'll take initiative rolls and actions at this point.


Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Jon will double move toward the barricaded door of the tower, keeping an eye out for any other openings. Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Auric will also double move toward the door (C8 or thereabouts), keeping an eye open for any spots where melee combatants might be hidden.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

I will single move forward, keeping a sharp eye and ear out for any surprises.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

801 to 850 of 1,903 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.