Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


451 to 500 of 1,903 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
William Varrus wrote:

Two questions good sir :

I believe you may have missed William's acrobatics check to avoid the attacks of opportunity from the skeletons? I may be missing some other consideration but I would have assumed my 22 beats their CMD?

On the other hand, the two skeletons I tripped initially should still have been able to attempt to stand up (twice?) on their turn? Was this simply rolled into the description of their falls?

I could easily be mistaken in some fashion on both accounts, just satisfying my own curiosity more than anything.

I did indeed miss the Acrobatics roll entirely. Redact the damage.

As for them standing up, I rolled some spectacularly bad Acrobatics checks for them...


Male Halfling Bard 2

I was waiting to hear the actions of our friend the blacksmith first, but for now I will just try to keep things moving.

William falls back further behind the wall and readies an arrow for the first skeleton to successfully regain it's feet.

He does his best to raise the morale of his companions, "Take heart, the undead horde grows increasingly sparse. Just hold them at the gate for as long as you can Auric!"

Move to G5 and ready an attack at the nearest skeleton to stand up. Keeping Inspire Courage up.

Readied Arrow : 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Damage : 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
-1 to attack and damage if his target ends up more than 30ft away.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Sorry about that.
Auric steps outside the gate in front of William and throws an axe at one of the closest fallen skeleton.
"They won't get past me this time!"
Move 15 feet to I6, throw at K8
Throwing axe: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 191d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Just checking in, letting everyone know that while Gendo may be down, I'm still here keeping an eye on the action. Unless I'm mistaken, Gendo is stable, but at -3 HP.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

It was a long weekend, so I'm just giving Jon a little time to make a post. If things drag too much for my liking I'll push them along.


Jon will once again launch his sling against evil!

Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Damage:1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Round 5:

Gendo lays where Auric has placed him, groaning faintly.

William steps forward and draws his bow, waiting for a clear shot at his foes.

Auric moves into the gateway, axe upraised and ready.

The skeletons rise to their feet, only to have one slip and fall to the ground once again. The others persevere and surge forward, only to have William and Auric unleash their missile fire. The halfling's arrow splits the skeleton's sternum and lodges in its spine, causing it to lean and veer oddly. Auric's axe hits the other in the head, splitting the skull and dropping it. The one still standing hobbles over to Auric and lashes out with a bony talon, digging fresh grooves in the face of his shield.

Jon's attack goes wide, the bullet getting lost in the night.

Initiative for Round 6:

Gendo
William
Auric
Skeletons
Jon

Combat Map


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric swings his warhammer wildly at the skeleton attacking him.
Warhammer: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 121d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


Male Halfling Bard 2

William curses as his arrow fails to drop it's target. He slips past Jon to have a clearer shot before firing on the injured skeleton once again.

Shortbow : 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 4 = 19
Damage : 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Move to K5 and fires again. William really needs to get a bludgeoning weapon.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

On my turn I'll continue groaning.


Another sling shot at the entangled skeleton!

Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Round 7:

William moves to the wall and fires another shot at the skeleton, but the arrow simply tangles in the thing's ribs without causing harm.

Auric's hammer arcs out, catching naught but air as his opponent sidesteps the swing.

The skeleton attacking Auric lashes out with its talons, raking shield and mail but catching no flesh.

The other finally manages to make it to its feet, awkwardly moving forward through the grease, to lunge out at William. However, the low wall provides enough cover for the bard to evade harm.

Jon steps back away from the oncoming skeleton and fires again, but is unable to get a clear shot.

Combat Map


Seeing the advancing foes, John drops the sling and steps over the wall to within reach of the two foes. He calls upon the wood and thorns and coats his fist in brambles. If he has time, he lashes out at the previously greased skeleton!

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Damage: 1d4 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Male Halfling Bard 2

Frustrated, William will step back from the wall and launch another arrow at the wounded skeleton.

Shortbow : 1d20 + 7 - 4 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 7 - 4 - 2 = 21
Damage : 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Critical Confirmation : 1d20 + 7 - 4 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 7 - 4 - 2 = 21
Damage : 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (5, 3) + 4 = 12

Wow, double natural 20's!!!


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

A frustrated Auric continues swinging wildly at the skeleton in front of him.
Warhammer: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 61d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Man, off night. I bet Baal is disappointed.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Round 8:

William launches another arrow, the point catching between two vertebrae in the neck and punching through, shearing its skull off entirely.

Auric, freed from his current opponent, steps in on the one remaining skeleton. His hammer swings in a wide arc, about to crash into his opponent, when his footing goes awry. Slipping on a small spot of grease dripped off a skeleton, he recovers but his swing doesn't connect.

Jon's fist hardens into a bludgeoning wooden instrument as he hops the wall. He brings it crashing into the skeleton, bursting the ribcage and scattering its backbone. The bones clatter to the grass, and then all is quiet but the sound of water in the river below.

Combat is over, huzzah! What would you like to do next?


Male Halfling Bard 2

As the last skeleton falls, William knocks another arrow and stands vigilant for any remaining threat. Seeing nothing, he releases the tension on his bow and slings it over his shoulder.

With a quick look to Gendo's moaning form, he moves over to the body of the crone, "Someone needs to see to Gendo as soon as possible. I'll attend to our mysterious opponent."

Once he reaches the crone, he quickly checks for any vital signs. If she still breathes, he will take the length of silk rope from his backpack and quickly immobilize her, tying hands to feet behind her and securing a gag in her mouth.

Once he is confident she is either secured or dead, he begins to search her for any possessions she might be carrying.

Perception (if needed) : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric scratches the back of his head, unsure of how to proceed.
"So, Jon... any ideas on how to get Gendo up again? Looks like we'll have to drag him back to our contact. Hmmm. I'll take a look inside the church to see if there are any healing potions in there. Maybe we can put some money together and buy one from the church..."


"I will need to gather some more berries. They are particularly nourishing around here.."

Knowledge Nature to find some berries: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Goodberries made: 1d8 ⇒ 5


Male Halfling Bard 2

I'm fairly certain there is at least one berry still left from the ones Jon gave me. I thought Auric only ate 2 of them?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Two berries left. There were four originally.

As luck would have it, there are several huckleberry bushes on the slopes of the promontory that the graveyard stands on, and Jon is able to find several still hanging around.

William binds your captive, and is surprised to find that the "crone" isn't as old as she first appeared. She is thin and bony, with gray streaking her hair, and filthy. However beneath the filth is a woman who appears not much older than Auric, and her angular features and pointed ears show an elven heritage that was previously missed.

The party gets the following items from her:

  • 2 masterwork silver daggers
  • a polished ring of bone
  • a silver ring set with a carved skull of black stone
  • a scroll case containing two pieces of rolled parchment
  • 2 vials containing a milky liquid
  • a vial containing a clear, turquoise fluid
  • a spell component pouch
  • a canvas shoulderbag
  • a ceramic vial shaped like a unicorn's horn containing a liquid that smells like mint and roses
  • a waterproof bag containing:
  • a detailed map of this Jarldom, with several sites marked, and
  • a book bound in leather the color of ivory, etched with skulls


Male Halfling Bard 2

Lacking the skill to identify them, William packs the items back in the woman's bag and slings it over his shoulder.

"We should get her inside the chapel, perhaps one of those berries should go to our prisoner? We'll need her alive to provide us with answers." He moves over to Gendo, "How is he doing?"

I just realized we don't have anyone with spellcraft left...


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric puts a few berries We'll say about 4, leaving two. in Gendo's mouth, gently pushing his jaw into them and massaging his throat until he swallows them.

"Right, let's get out of the open. We can leave this mess for the groundskeeper. What do you say we bring her back to the mill before we wake her up? She could identify us if we leave her for the dwarves, after all."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

4hp healing on Gendo, which puts him back to 1hp. That will leave you three berries left.

You can also add a few odds and ends to that list of items, just mundane items, with a few oddities thrown in: An inkpen, a half-full vial of ink, a days worth of rations, and several bones and skulls of small animals and birds.


Male Halfling Bard 2

"I have no intention of leaving her for the dwarves. As I understand it, we have the chapel to ourselves for the rest of the night. I suggest we get inside and rest for a little while, it's a long journey back to the mill."

He pauses for a moment, looking at each of his companions.

"Traveling by daylight is riskier to be sure, but I should be able to hide her presence should we run into anyone. I think we could all use the rest. Anyone volunteer for first watch?"


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"But we've still got these potions from Amara- one for each of us. They can keep us from getting tired on the march back to the mill. Traveling at night has its own dangers, but the last thing we need is for the caretaker to return early or for some other hapless traveler to come seeking shelter..."

"I'll do as the rest of you see fit, but I think we should at least put some distance between us and the church- a place of sanctuary like this may beckon to others."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

William: Make a bardic knowledge check for me [Knowledge(local)].


Male Halfling Bard 2

Knowledge(local) : 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

William:
You are aware that this chapel doesn't see much use. The locals of Three Oaks find the old dwarven cleric off-putting, and the chapel doesn't see much use outside of holy days. Someone visiting during the night would be highly improbable.


Male Halfling Bard 2

William shakes his head, "This old chapel doesn't get many visitors these days. The cleric living here isn't exactly known for his charming personality and his bad leg will keep him over in town tonight. We should be safe here." He smiles to Auric, "Besides, I would much prefer to hang onto Amara's elixirs for the time being."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

"ungh..." I groan, as I shake my head as I realize that I am still alive, the pain from my wounds acting like a salve to clear my head.

Sitting up slowly, "I take it everyone else fared better than myself against the mysterious woman?", my tone both questioning and self-deprecating together. Though as I look around, the answer is plain to see.

Not having really heard the conversatio between William and Auric, I ask, "What's our next move?"


"I would like to examine those vials. They may be of use to us later."


Male Halfling Bard 2

William looks around at the dark night nervously, "So will we be staying till dawn then? Or does anyone insist we trudge on through the night?"


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"I guess we should stay here and leave early tomorrow morning. I'll take first watch."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Is there anything the party would like to take care of while staying the night in the chapel?


Male Halfling Bard 2

As long as we make sure that our captive is watched and will live through the night without incident, William will take watch after Auric and do his best to get as much sleep as possible before morning.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

I'll assume at this point that Gendo will take third watch, leaving Jon with the final stretch.

In that case, I'll need three Perception checks from Jon as he examines the vials you've taken off your prisoner. The night passes quietly. Come morning, your prisoner still appears to be sleeping off the effects of her pummeling.


Jon keeps his watch but examines the vials carefully.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

As the sun rises he awakens the others, then takes a moment to revel in the glory of living and life.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon:
The two vials of milky liquid appear to be cure light wounds potions. The turquoise vial is a potion of resistance. The unicorn horn vial tastes cloying, but is no discernable potion you can identify. It smells awfully pretty though.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

After Auric wakes, he kneels before the altar and makes his daily prayer to the Forge Father, leaving four gold coins in the offering box. Securing his armor in his pack as best he can, he turns to Jon.
"You wanna carry her or should I?"


Jon ponders. "I will carry her. You might need your arms free." Turning to Gendo, he offers him the vials of milky liquid. "These will heal your wounds. Use them as you see fit." He keeps the turquoise potion and the unicorn horn vial, intending to dispose of its contents later.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The party grabs their gear and sets off. The morning is cold and each breath puffs white and misty in the chill. The sky, however, has cleared but for a few high clouds, allowing good light though the sun has yet to crest the mountain peaks. With your prisoner slung like a sack over Jon's shoulder, you hike your way back north, eventually entering the woods where Daena's temple is hidden.

As the party enters a small clearing, they discover a dead stag, partially eaten, probably the victim of wolves. At the group's approach, the body gives a shudder, then springs erect, like a marionette jerked up by its strings. The remaining flesh and hide slough off, leaving a bloody skeleton. It raises its antlered skull and turns in the party's direction, faint fires flickering in its now vacant sockets. The thing is a mere 20 feet from the group at this point.

Initiatives and actions, please. Note that any drinking of potions will be considered done before your travel. I just wanted to get this post in here while I had the time.


Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Move action: lower the prisoner to the ground at Jon's feet
2nd move action: draw my sling and load it.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

I have three hp left and am not wearing armor- naturally, I charge the stag.
Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Auric steps closer to the stag to hold it's attention and braces himself, getting most of his body behind his shield.
Full defense
"Boy, this lady gets around..."


Male Halfling Bard 2

Initiative : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

"Stand strong, we have defeated it's creator, we will do the same to it."

William tries to bolster the moral of his companions while drawing his bow.

Inspire courage and draw bow.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gendo's Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

A disturbing thought hits the group as they face this opponent. This wasn't an already animate skeleton. It seemed to spring to unlife at your approach, forcibly shedding the remaining flesh to take skeletal form...

Addendum: Stag is 30 feet from the group, not 20 as previously stated.

Initiative Order:
Gendo
Stag skeleton
Auric
Jon
William

Round 1:

Gendo readies himself, shifting his weight and settling into a combat stance.

The skeletal stag charges, bearing down on Auric. As it gets within range, he pivots his hips and snaps a kick at its head.
Gendo's Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
His kick impacts with its antlers, but the momentum of the creature drives it through as it attempts to gore the paladin. Auric drives his shield up and forward to meet the impact and the attack is absorbed by his shield with a loud crash. Feet braced for the impact, the hit actually pushes him back a few inches.

Jon lays the unconscious woman on the ground, pulling his sling and loading up a bullet.

William inspires his allies, readying his bow.

Combat Map


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I would have drunk that potion as soon as Jon gave it to me 1d8 ⇒ 6.

I will take a 5 foot step (to square K9) and make a single attack at the undead beast.

Unarmed Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Unarmed Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Warhammer: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 241d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Dang.

Auric grits his teeth, trying to keep the stag's antlers on his shield instead of in his chest until he pushes the skull aside and aims a shattering blow at the thing's shoulder blades.


Male Halfling Bard 2

William steps back, away from the horrific stag. Seeing Auric struggle with the beast, William summons his magic again, in order to slick the grass beneath it's feet and lose it's footing.

"Stand strong everyone! Auric, wait until it's hooves start to slip and then hammer the blasted thing!"

5ft step to L12, maintain Inspire Courage, cast Grease provided the stag still seems to be going strong.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Round 2:

Gendo moves around the opponent and throws a fist at it, only to have his blow deflected by the thrashing antlers.

The stag rears up, lashing at Auric with its sharp, cloven hooves, then swinging its antlers at Gendo. The hooves hammer into Auric's shield, keeping him on the defensive, while an antler tears a gash into Gendo's shoulder. 3hp damage.

The moment its attention turns to the monk and the staccato banging ceases on his shield, Auric brings his hammer up and over his shield, slamming it home. There is a satisfying crunch as bones break and the thing wobbles, trying to hold itself upright on a broken shoulder and cracked vertebrae.

Jon takes a step to get a clear shot, then looses his bullet towards the thing, hoping to get a shot in amidst the melee. Attack:1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0 Unfortunately, Auric's shield deflects the shot harmlessly away.

William continues to urge his group on, releasing a quick spell that once again covers the ground in a slippery mess. With that, the skeletal stag's hooves slide out from under it and it falls unceremoniously to the ground. Target prone.

Updated Map

451 to 500 of 1,903 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.