Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1 to 50 of 1,903 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Chapter One: Winter's Shadow

It is a brisk autumn day; tomorrow is the High Harvest Festival, one of the five major holidays celebrated in the region. The local silos are brimming with harvested grain and bushels of apples are stacked high in barns. Everywhere in the village there are people making preparations for tomorrow's celebration.

The village square is being prepared for the Harvest Dance. Villagers are decorating the three great oaks with lanterns and garlands of holly. Nearby, long trestle tables are being set up outside the Huntsman's Rest with barrels of cider and ale. The smells of baked goods drifts on the breeze; various folk are preparing food for the feast, as well as for various contests that will be judged by the town elders. Children in masks run giggling through the lanes.

In the nearby field where the militia drill, the festival games are being prepared. There will be an archery contest, a foot race, as well as several games of chance and contests of strength and skill.

During the festival, it is tradition to wear a mask. These are crafted of various materials and range from simple to highly artistic. The masks depict animals, humanoids, or monsters. According to tradition, these masks provide protection from the evils of the world (in the case of scary masks), or infuse the wearer with a quality of the creature the mask depicts. At the end of the evening's festivities on High Harvest, the masks are taken to the bonfire at the center of the green and burned: a sacrifice to Baal, giving up ones fears and hopes to the Forge-father so that one may receive his blessings.

Also, each of you has been given a small gourd. The gourd is hollow and carved with an impish or ghoulish face that smirks, grins, or snarls. Inside each gourd is a small burnpot, which will cause the carved face to glow from the light inside. These are gifts from Old Tom, the village Warder. These tokens, when lit, are said to provide protection from the evil spirits that are abroad now that the season of life is over. They are everywhere, most sitting on doorsteps, in window sills, or hanging from the eaves above the doors of homes.

Your spirit lanterns are a bit different, however. In them, each of you finds a small note and a tindertwig. The note reads:
Your assistance is needed. Come to the house of the pearl after dusk, the day after the festival. Seek the red rooster to guide you.
The note is unsigned, but bears the symbol of a hand stamped in its bottom corner. This is obviously a missive from the Hand of Jorin. You know that the "house of the pearl" is code for the shrine to Daena hidden in the woods west of town. However, you do not know how to get there.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon:
Festival times are usually periods of leisure, but this season seems to be an exception for you. You’ve received not only your instructions to travel to the House of the Pearl, but also an earlier missive. It instructed you to await the arrival of a young man who you are to escort to the shrine. He will know your house by a wreath of barley—interwoven with blue salvia and sweet autumn clematis vine—hung upon your door. When he speaks with you will use the words: “I’ve come to speak with you about the water. The well has gone dry.” You are to invite him in to speak further, and host him until you leave for the shrine. No further instructions were given, so you assume he is not a fugitive and there is no fear of him being seen in public. With any luck, he’ll arrive soon so you can at least enjoy the festivities before duty calls.

As for your journey, you're sure you'll be guiding others there as well. Your mask for the festival is a wood and leather fabrication in the shape of a rooster's head, complete with a great red comb and wattle. You've also received a second spirit lantern (without a note,) presumably for your visitor.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric:
The short time you have been a member of the Hand has been fairly uneventful. You forge a few weapons here and there, mainly arrow and spearheads, from ingots left in the night, hidden in the hay stored for the smithy’s two pack mules. You yearn for more important work and for something that will lead you forward in finding those responsible for the loss of your mother.

Surprisingly, after you were orphaned, you were taken in by your master: a local dwarven smith, Azryn Grymlorn. Unlike other dwarves, he lives in Three Oaks with the human community. He is gruff and demanding of you, but never unkind. As to your covert activities, he seems entirely oblivious. When he does note you doing work that he did not assign, he simply assumes you are practicing to improve your skill. Also apprenticing to Azryn is Gildin, another dwarven outcast. He seems to have a growing skill in alchemy, and has been crafting components and items that are sent out with your clandestine shipments of weapons.

Azryn is bald and the left side of his head and face bear runic tattoos. You know he is an outcast of the steading, and believe that the tattoos are a mark of his disgrace. You've never directly asked him about it though. The last person that did took a hammer between the eyes. Azryn is obviously rather sensitive about the subject.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

William:
Your stepfather and mentor, Andras, runs a sheep ranch south of Three Oaks. It keeps him distant from prying eyes in the city, but close enough to the dwarven fortress to keep an eye on their comings and goings. “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer,” as the saying goes. In recent times, Andras has become withdrawn and distant, a shadow of the warm, gregarious man that took you into his home.

Andras had a young son, Kellen, who was born two years before he adopted you. His mother died during childbirth. The two of you grew up as brothers. Five years ago, while on assignment, he was murdered. You've never managed to discover who killed him or why. All you know is that he was doing reconnaissance of some strangers in town. The body was found in one of the rooms at the Huntsman's Rest, under the bed. He had been stabbed in the back. Given the lack of blood, he may have been killed elsewhere and moved there, or the scene had been cleaned, possibly with magic. Ouryn Dunmont, the innkeeper, was never much help, as he is rather scatterbrained. He remembers a group of folks that came in that year, but little about them, save that one was a striking young beauty with red hair, and there was a gnome bard with them...name of Gimble, if he recalls correctly. The room where your stepbrother's body was found was registered to a "Jack Duskman." This is all you’ve been able to discover. You know that the struggle must go on, but you hope that somewhere along the way you’ll be able to discover Kellen’s killer and return peace of mind to your stepfather.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gildin:
Your life since your exile has been relatively kind. There are still moments of pain and sadness. Seeing the tattoos upon your face reflected in the water barrel of the smithy still gives you pause. Most of the village folk are stand-offish, reminding you of the fact that you truly belong nowhere. Still, it could be worse. You are apprenticed to Azryn Grymlorn, another outcast. He has his smithy set up here in Three Oaks. You work alongside him and Auric, a human apprentice. Like you, Auric works for the Hand of Jorin. You have been slowly building your skill as an alchemist, providing useful items and compounds for the Hand, that are smuggled out with weapons that Auric forges in his off-time. You also know of one other member of the Hand, an odd fellow named Jon Commoner who seems to worship the land itself. He’s a nice enough fellow, but when he shows you flowers and plants he seems oddly appalled at the way you quickly look for a means to break them down and incorporate them into a new potion or compound.

Azryn’s tattoos tell you that he was exiled for an illicit affair with a woman of noble blood. You’re fairly certain he knows your crimes as well. However, he never speaks of this. In fact, other than firmly stating he doesn’t want you “fiddling with the ore, you know what I mean,” he has never seen fit to discuss the matter with you. You’ve also never spoken of his crime. Once, he cracked a man in the skull with his hammer for daring to ask about the tattoos. You figure it’s best to just avoid the subject.

Best of all, here in Three Oaks you’re far from the Jarl’s fortress, where your accident took place. One of the guards, a fighter by the name of Morgrim Thrallhammer, was badly burned in the resulting explosion. He was very outspoken in saying that exile was too good for you and that you should pay with your life for your crime. He’s a frightening fellow, the embodiment of everything humans hate and fear about the dwarves, and you’re glad to be here with Azryn, far away from the hateful warrior.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Oroupah:
Your wanderings have been blessed. While the dwarves manage to keep high levels of security and prosperity for the Iron Marches, there are always dangers: bandits, humanoid and barbarian raids, wandering monsters from the mountains beyond the borders, and more. Yet you’ve never once been touched or harassed. You have truly lived a charmed life. You’ve also made friends of the Akaara, who have carried you aloft to the high peaks, getting you closer still to the stars you love so much, their mysteries that much closer and brighter.

Two days ago, you made a marvelous discovery: a new star! A bright, white point of light that you’ve never seen before, too bright to be overlooked. Fascinated, you have begun travelling in that direction, compelled to get as close to it as you can. Your travels have brought you into the village of Three Oaks, preparing for the High Harvest festival. You’ve decided to rest here briefly, taking in the delights of the holiday, before resuming your pilgrimage, ever northeast, toward the mysteries this heavenly body has yet to reveal to you.

Note: You, unlike other PCs, did not receive a spirit lantern containing the message, as you are not currently affiliated with the Hand of Jorin.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gendo:
After you were taken in by Heyward, you were taken north to the outskirts of the territory, to a secluded spot known only as the Well House. A small stone building that contains nothing but an ancient well, long dry, it is actually the entrance to a secret order of monks, who make there home in worked caves at the bottom of the well shaft. Your order, only numbering fifteen, practiced the honing of the mind and spirit, learning knowledge as well as wisdom. Not wanting to take part in the political struggles of the land, the followers of the Three-fold Path hone their minds and bodies here in seclusion, executing the duties of the order.

Among these duties has been the guardianship of several relics, things from ages past. Some of these are held in anticipation of the time when the people of the Iron Marches have the wisdom to know of their existence once more. Others are things of vile nature that are kept here against rediscovery. In the hands of the corruptible, they could pose even greater threat to the land and its inhabitants.

Unfortunately, one of these has been stolen. A great tome, bound in humanoid flesh and bone, was taken recently. While you and many of the younger acolytes were off acquiring supplies from a nearby gnomish settlement, the Hill was attacked by undead. In the aftermath, several of your brothers and sisters were injured; your master, Abbot Heywood, is missing. Sister Liandra, the ranking member of the order, is attempting to make things right. Upon your group's return the following day, search parties were sent to find some sign of the invaders or their prisoner, but without results.

You have been given the assignment to travel to the House of the Pearl, a secret shrine to Daena, the moon goddess. It is hoped they can divine what has become of the Abbot and the tome. Whoever perpetrated this crime knew what they were after; it is certain that they are intent on some foul purpose and need the book to fulfill it. Liandra has contacted members of the Hand of Jorin to assist. You have traveled south to the village of Three Oaks to meet a contact, who will escort you to the shrine two days hence. You were told to seek out a sign. On the door of a cottage you will find a wreath made of grain, decorated with blue and white flowers. You are to knock on the door and tell the occupant: “I’ve come to speak with you about the water. The well has gone dry.” This will identify you as the person they are to assist. You wish things could move more swiftly; you’re worried about Master Heywood. However, all you can do at the moment is follow the commands you were given.

Note: Unlike the other PCs, you did not receive a spirit lantern and note as indicated in the introduction. Since you are not affiliated with the Hand of Jorin at the present time, your introduction has been modified.


DM:
Jon goes about his business as usual, making certain that the barley sheaf is prepared as required. He putters about, keeping busy and occupied. He'll brew a pot of tea and put out some breads, in case his guest is hungry when he arrives.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric burns his note in the fire after committing it to memory, pulling on his leather apron and heading into the smithy for the day's work.
"Good mornin', Azryn, Gildin. Got your masks picked out for tomorrow?"


Male Halfling Bard 2

William quickly burns the note before setting out into the forest to hunt in for tomorrow's feast. He returns to Three Oaks in the mid-afternoon, from a reasonably successful trip with a pheasant and a pair of hares slung over his shoulder.
After delivering his bounty to the local butcher, he sets out in search of a mask for the festival. He looks over a few before settling on a well made but rather simple one depicting a fox's face. He feels it's rather fitting as he will be spending the next day on the hunt for a red rooster.
From there he offers his assistance around town helping set up for tomorrow's festival.


Male Human Fast Food Manager 3/Press Operator 6/Opto-Electronic Fabricator 4

While Gendo is deeply concerned for Master Heywoods well-being and the loss of the tome, he takes some small comfort, as one of Master Heywoods many wise saying comes to mind "pateince is the companion of wisdom". Feeling a bit less out of sorts, he takes a moment to take in the festival, those celebrating and not, the decorations, everything, which acts as a catalyst for another of Master Heywood's sayings to come to mind "enjoy when you can, endure when you must".

If the opportunity presents itself, Gendo will acquire a mask of a simple animal - badger, bear, owl, or what is available, before moving deliberately through Three Oaks seeking the cottage, with the door having the grain wreathe decorated with blue and white flowers.


The youthful dwarf had read his note and tossed it into a sack on the cart he regularly used, buried beneath cured meat wrapped appropriately to ensure safety. He was always one to carry a bit of extra food as a grace to those whom he delivered their goods to, and those who accompanied him.

He had set the donkey, Brutus, to relax with what little grass they had near the smithy, and was busy pounding away on a metallic mask with the smith's hammer when Auric walked in. The mask itself looked like it was to represent some creature made of fire.

"Aye, lad - it's right 'ere where I can see it. It'll be done by this afternoon, gods praise - and then I can get back to real work, since I took th' day off to prepare."

He looked over at Azryn, and gave him a grin. "How about you, Azryn? Got anythin' cooked up?"

Craft(Armor) for the Mask: Taking 10, so 17

"I'll give you a hand if'n you need one made, Auric - jus' ask, and I'll set right to it."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Ah, I'm sure I'll be fine, thanks. I've got a falcon in the making, maybe I'll chase down a few hares tomorrow!"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Azryn grunts. "Silly tradition, that. Ouryn always has extras down at the inn. I'll take whatever he has that doesn't cover my mouth so I can still get my food and ale down. The feasting and drinking is what counts. Besides, no point in crafting something that'll just be burned at the end of the night anyway."

"Not much work to do today, boys, so we'll be quitting early. I'm heading over to the inn to help set up for the festivities when we're done here. You lads can do as you like."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gendo: You make good time, reaching Three Oaks by late afternoon the day before the festival. The village is rather gaily decorated with late season flowers. The village green has been set up for a variety of games and contests. The Huntsman's Rest, the local inn, is bustling. Guests are being given masks if they do not have one of their own. You are handed a raven mask, crafted of reeds covered with a thick layer of black feathers, probably chicken, and a curved beak of black laquered wood. You wander the village for quite a while before finding a modest cottage whose door sports a wreath woven of sheaves of grain, interspersed with blue flowers and wound with a green vine blooming with small, white flowers that smell faintly of vanilla.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

A small grin coes to my face, my eyes enjoying the simple beauty of Three Oaks in "bloom".

Thank you kindly. I respond when given the raven mask, before placing it carefully in his satchel before moving on to continue his search for the grain wreath cottage door.

Upon seeing the cottage, I tighten lips for a moment, nodding to myself. Taking a moment that to insure that the wreathe fits the decription I was given before going to knock on the door.

I'll knock two or three times, wait for a few minutes, then knock and wait again. If no one answers after the second knock, I'll go back to the Inn and secure a spot in the common room.

IF someone should answer the door, I give them a quick once over, basically taking their measure. I nod my head in greeting and say, My apologies for disturbing your festival preparations, but I've come to speak with you about the water. The well has gone dry. Then wait patiently for the response or reaction.


Gendo wrote:


IF someone should answer the door, I give them a quick once over, basically taking their measure. I nod my head in greeting and say, My apologies for disturbing your festival preparations, but I've come to speak with you about the water. The well has gone dry. Then wait patiently for the response or reaction.[/i]

The man that answers is a tall and thin human with thinning brown hair and a wild beard, wearing homespun clothes and smelling of earth and herb and looking a bit touched in the head, though that look fades when he hears the password. He gives you a nod. "Dry wells are a problem in the drought months. Come in, I might know of a better place to dig." He ushers you in, then gives a quick glance around to see who might have noticed the man entering...

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

"Name's Jon. I'm the local herbsman here. I understand you've come for the festival? I have a lantern for you." He pulls a small carved gourd lantern from under a table where a great mass of greenery had obscured it. "I'm guessing we have some friends in common. Hand in hand, as it were. What shall I call you, then?"


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1
Shadowborn wrote:

Azryn grunts. "Silly tradition, that. Ouryn always has extras down at the inn. I'll take whatever he has that doesn't cover my mouth so I can still get my food and ale down. The feasting and drinking is what counts. Besides, no point in crafting something that'll just be burned at the end of the night anyway."

"Not much work to do today, boys, so we'll be quitting early. I'm heading over to the inn to help set up for the festivities when we're done here. You lads can do as you like."

"True enough, but I always like seeing those elaborate masks and the Festival only comes once a year. Remember Old Tom's last year? Really outdid himself."

Auric busies himself at the forge, attending to his duties and sweeping up when it's time to close. He'll find cause to delay until after Azryn leaves and then take a quick look through the hay in the stable for anything that might have been "misplaced" last night. If he doesn't turn anything up, he'll head out into town to help out.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3
Jon Commoner wrote:
Gendo wrote:


IF someone should answer the door, I give them a quick once over, basically taking their measure. I nod my head in greeting and say, My apologies for disturbing your festival preparations, but I've come to speak with you about the water. The well has gone dry. Then wait patiently for the response or reaction.[/i]

The man that answers is a tall and thin human with thinning brown hair and a wild beard, wearing homespun clothes and smelling of earth and herb and looking a bit touched in the head, though that look fades when he hears the password. He gives you a nod. "Dry wells are a problem in the drought months. Come in, I might know of a better place to dig." He ushers you in, then gives a quick glance around to see who might have noticed the man entering...

Perception: 1d20+7

"Name's Jon. I'm the local herbsman here. I understand you've come for the festival? I have a lantern for you." He pulls a small carved gourd lantern from under a table where a great mass of greenery had obscured it. "I'm guessing we have some friends in common. Hand in hand, as it were. What shall I call you, then?"

Sorry for the delay, real-life tough today.

You see a young man at your door, with a far too youthful face. By the slightly unkempt sleeveless tunic and dusty leggings tucked into a pair of simple boots, it is plainly evident that he has traveled a goodly distance to your door. He bows his bald head, a match for his clean shaven face, to the waist, never taking his intense blue eyes from you at your welcome.

As you usher him in, his movements are deliberate and unhurried, yet filled with purpose. He accepts the gourd lantern, raising it slightly and nodding in thanks before hanging it on his satchel.

Gendo, I respond politely, if a bit tersely. The festival is a secondary, if more immediate reason for my presence. Of prime importance, it is my understanding that you are to be my guide to Daena's Shrine.


An strange girl is seen coming through the gates in Three Oaks this morning. A tall, slender beauty with lustrous black hair, smooth tanned skin and dark eyes. She is adorned with beads and feathers. Her feathered cloak has a natural sheen to it. She is alone, but for a pack-llama - a beast used more by the mountain folk and dwarves of the high alps than in these parts. People who stop to greet her receive a gracious - but reserved reply and she looks right into their eyes in a way most wouldn't expect from the local girls - she's a young woman really. But what a woman! She is not like the other girls in town. Not like them at all! She leads her llama through the streets. She keeps her eyes open for lodging tonight. She observes the people. She stops for refreshment by the oak trees and wonders at the world in general.


Gendo wrote:


Gendo, I respond politely, if a bit tersely. The festival is a secondary, if more immediate reason for my presence. Of prime importance, it is my understanding that you are to be my guide to Daena's Shrine.

Jon nods and pours two cups of tea and offers the young man a seedcake. "I imagine I'll be guiding you and possibly others. But we've got to make an appearance at the festival, or else things will look suspicious. Have a cup of tea and cake. People round these parts don't hurry off. Relax a few minutes and we'll head out shortly. Did they give you a mask or will you need one?"


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3
Jon Commoner wrote:
Gendo wrote:


Gendo, I respond politely, if a bit tersely. The festival is a secondary, if more immediate reason for my presence. Of prime importance, it is my understanding that you are to be my guide to Daena's Shrine.
Jon nods and pours two cups of tea and offers the young man a seedcake. "I imagine I'll be guiding you and possibly others. But we've got to make an appearance at the festival, or else things will look suspicious. Have a cup of tea and cake. People round these parts don't hurry off. Relax a few minutes and we'll head out shortly. Did they give you a mask or will you need one?"

"It is always best to think like a man of action, act like a man of thought." I respond as I accept the tea and cake. "Thank you."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

After taking another mouthful of tea,"I have a mask - Raven."

Tilting my head slightly to one side, in an almost subdued voice, as though thinking out loud, yet looking at you directly, "If not making an appearance will arouse suspicion, then not participating in a contest or two would also arouse suspicion. On the other hand, participation would attract attention as well - in a far less ill mannered way, but unwanted attention all the same...we all see through obscurity eventually, but fail to see the obvious until after the fact."


After an appropriate amount of time has passed, Jon will pull out a red rooster mask from a drawer, brush crumbs from his beard and light his gourd. "Come, I think enough time has passed. Be at ease, no one will suspect a country cousin in town for the festival. Keep your mask on, your gourd lit and be polite. Everything will be fine. Now, Gendo, let us enjoy the festival."

Jon leaves the shop, lets Gendo out and locks the door behind him. (Not a very complex lock, just a simple one.)


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Before leaving Jon's shop, I light the gourd lantern and don my Raven mask.

"A grave task to enjoy something when ill matters are afoot, but enjoy we will. Lead on cousin."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

I thought we were still on the day before the festival?

Auric looks out the window of the smithy toward the town square, staring curiously at the strange girl with the wooly animal and barbaric clothes.
"Who could that be?", he wonders aloud.

He steps out, curiosity getting the best of him, and approaches the girl by the oaks.
"Hullo there. Welcome to Three Oaks. Are you looking for something?"


Male Halfling Bard 2
Auric Ironwright wrote:

I thought we were still on the day before the festival?

Auric looks out the window of the smithy toward the town square, staring curiously at the strange girl with the wooly animal and barbaric clothes.
"Who could that be?", he wonders aloud.

Technically we are still on the day before but I believe most of us have covered our activities for the day and progressing to the festival now would provide a lot more options to keep us all busy.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1
William Varrus wrote:
Auric Ironwright wrote:

I thought we were still on the day before the festival?

Auric looks out the window of the smithy toward the town square, staring curiously at the strange girl with the wooly animal and barbaric clothes.
"Who could that be?", he wonders aloud.

Technically we are still on the day before but I believe most of us have covered our activities for the day and progressing to the festival now would provide a lot more options to keep us all busy.

That's true. Looking for opportunities to interact- not sure if something is slated to happen today is all.


Auric Ironwright wrote:
"Hullo there. Welcome to Three Oaks. Are you looking for something?"

The girl's dreamy eyes meet the blacksmith's gaze squarely as he speaks to her...and although her accent is quite strange - she speaks very clearly.

I am looking for a stable to rest this animal. And some decent lodging to rest. And I would like to make a visit to the local temple....for I must speak with one of the wise men in the this village. But at this moment I am enjoying the cool breeze and the rustling of the oak leaves above me, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Oroupah.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Nope, I was just waiting for Oroupah to make her appearance and allow the rest of you to get settled in.

Auric and Gildin finish their workday, lingering around long enough to discover that there are no clandestine packages awaiting them around back of the building. They spend the rest of the day putting up garlands and lanterns, or hauling benches and barrels into place.

Jon Commoner assures Gendo that they will leave as soon as they are able, making his guest as comfortable as possible for his stay tonight.

------------------------

The following morning, dawn breaks clear and cold. With the autumn sun shining in the sky, it should be a fine day. The village slowly awakens into an easy, festive spirit. Folk begin moving in from the outlying farms and ranches, trickling into the village center. Many mill about in the green, while others move to the inn, where bowls and platters have already begun to appear on the trestle tables arranged out front. Many have already donned their masks, while others carry them or have them hung around their necks, so as not to inhibit their sampling of the various pastries, pies, and other assembled goodies.

The arrival of the strange woman and her equally unusual animal draw quite a bit of attention from the locals. A few offer greetings, but the rest simply gawk from a distance. A small group of children gather near Oroupah, examining both her and her pack animal. They wear masks-- cunningly crafted of wood, paper mache, cloth, and other materials--in the form of goblins, monsters, and undead things. Emboldened by their numbers, they move up to form a half-circle around Oroupah as she sits with her back against one of the great oaks. Raising their hands, they point at her and cry out in a sing-song voice:

"Treats! Treats! Treats for us! We'll bedevil you if you put up a fuss!"

We'll presume this event happens before Auric speaks with Oroupah.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1
Oroupah wrote:
Auric Ironwright wrote:
"Hullo there. Welcome to Three Oaks. Are you looking for something?"

The girl's dreamy eyes meet the warrior's gaze squarely as he speaks to her...and although her accent is quite strange - she speaks very clearly.

I am looking for a stable to rest this animal. And some decent lodging to rest. And I would like to make a visit to the local temple....for I must speak with one of the wise men in the this village. But at this moment I am enjoying the cool breeze and the rustling of the oak leaves above me, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Oroupah.

Auric nods, maintaining eye contact. As he responds, he gestures back and forth pointing out landmarks with his four-fingered left hand after he pulls on a mask made to resemble a falcon.

"My name's Auric, I work at the smithy over there. Pleased to meet you, Miss Oroupah. The Huntsman's Rest is over there, they should have room in the stable for your.. llama, is it? Llama. The temple's over there if you want to pay your respects to Baal. Ouryn's got some masks for the Festival. Old Tom, our warder, lives over there; he might have a gourd for you too. So... where did you come from, if you don't mind my asking?"

Edited after Shadowborn's post.


Shadowborn wrote:

"Treats! Treats! Treats for us! We'll bedevil you if you put up a fuss!"

[ooc]We'll presume this event happens before Auric speaks with Oroupah.

Finding herself surrounded by children and gawking townsfolk, Ouroupah suddenly feels the need to rest at the oaks, take a breather and keep her composure. It has been so long since she has walked among human folk...and troubling emotions form her childhood threaten to overcome her. But she senses no malice in these kids...or at least nothing like the fear-stoked taunts she knew when bullied as a child.

She reaches into her pack, which is slung onto the llama's saddle, and pulls out a skin of cool water along with a parcel of seedcakes. She slides a few of the cakes from the parcel and shares them with the kids with a smile. Then she leans back on the wood of the tree and looks around the green - taking in the sites and marvelling at the sights....when the blacksmith arrives and they exchange greetings...

Not sure of the geography in this country - or if I can ad-lib the place where her clan coms from and where the mountains are in relation to 3 Oaks - so any information I could get would be helpful.


Having passed a companionable night with Gendo, Jon places his Rooster mask on and leads the two of them out into the village. "We must be seen. If someone is missing from festival, the village rumors will fly and we need to avoid rumors."


Male Halfling Bard 2

It is late in the morning by the time William and his stepfather arrive in Three Oaks. Before leaving, Andras insisted they finish several chores around the ranch that william felt could have easily waited till the next day or even later in the week without penalty. He feels that his mentor is simply dragging his feet...as he seems to do often these days.

Once they have secured their cart at the Huntsman's Rest, William and Andras unload the 3 small casks of the Paladin's renowned black-current mead before heading inside. Once inside the common room of the Huntsman's Rest, Andras pours himself a mug of dark ale and finds a seat next to several of his long time friends. William quickly procures his own ale and moves crosses the crowded room to join them and eager to catch a good story or two.

After half an hour of idle chit chat and complaints about the weather, William decides he is out of luck and moves to take his leave, "Well, I shall see you fine gentlemen later. The fresh air beckons and your bow is eager to prove it's worth, father.". Andras leans towards him and whispers, "Remember, you are here for a meeting, not to play games.". William smiles, "It's a long festival, I'm sure there will be ample time for both.". With that he dons his fox mask and sets out into the village green.

William greats those he passes warmly as he leisurely makes his way across the village toward the newly set up archery range. He is mindful to keep a lookout for anyone with a red rooster mask as he walks.

Perception : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Oroupah wrote:
Shadowborn wrote:

"Treats! Treats! Treats for us! We'll bedevil you if you put up a fuss!"

[ooc]We'll presume this event happens before Auric speaks with Oroupah.

Finding herself surrounded by children and gawking townsfolk, Ouroupah suddenly feels the need to rest at the oaks, take a breather and keep her composure. It has been so long since she has walked among human folk...and troubling emotions form her childhood threaten to overcome her. But she senses no malice in these kids...or at least nothing like the fear-stoked taunts she knew when bullied as a child.

She reaches into her pack, which is slung onto the llama's saddle, and pulls out a skin of cool water along with a parcel of seedcakes. She slides a few of the cakes from the parcel and shares them with the kids with a smile. Then she leans back on the wood of the tree and looks around the green - taking in the sites and marvelling at the sights....when the blacksmith arrives and they exchange greetings...

Not sure of the geography in this country - or if I can ad-lib the place where her clan coms from and where the mountains are in relation to 3 Oaks - so any information I could get would be helpful.

Oroupah:
I'll be posting some links to maps in the discussion thread as soon as I can (of course, I still need to do a little drawing and get access to a scanner, so don't hold your breath.) In the meantime, we'll assume you've come from somewhere in the vicinity of the Tindal Sea, a cold inland sea to the west, beyond the borders of the Iron Marches. The Marches consist of a large portion of the Skyraker Mountains and the valleys beneath them. There is a thin portion of lowlands running between the western foothills of the Skyrakers and the Tindal, where numerous settlements of free humans have cropped up. They are free, but without the protection of the dwarves or their resources, life can be difficult and even dangerous. It's not an area that I've developed in great detail, so feel free to come up with some names and locations if you'd like.

The children gleefully accept their treats, giggling and running off to find someone else to pester, leaving you to continue your conversation. Most of the other villagers nearby seem content to gawk at your animal.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Willam: You find the green bustling with activity, with folk readying areas for games and contests to be held soon. A table has been set up nearby where a gnome with hair streaked green, brown, and red, sits, scratching things into a ledger as people come up and speak to them.

You peer among the crowd, noting a large number of masks, many of them notable for their craftsmanship or their outlandishness, but spot no roosters among them at the moment.


Male Halfling Bard 2

William waits until the gnome appears to have a free moment before approaching, "It's a fine day for the festival, wouldn't you say?", he turns his gaze toward the gently fluttering leaves of the towering oaks, "The winds seems favorable today, would you be so kind as to sign me up for the archery competition this afternoon?

What mask is the gnome wearing? Or are they without one?


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3
Jon Commoner wrote:
Having passed a companionable night with Gendo, Jon places his Rooster mask on and leads the two of them out into the village. "We must be seen. If someone is missing from festival, the village rumors will fly and we need to avoid rumors."

"So where should we start? Given that there are contests and my youth, though I care not for whether I am victor, perhaps a contest entry or two."


Auric Ironwright wrote:

.... So... where did you come from, if you don't mind my asking?".....[/b]

I have come from the high Rakers and the Eyries of the Akaara- but I was born among the Noot-Chat clan on the Tindal coast. My guiding star has led me to this land, and I am here now to celebrate the autumnal festival. So are you saying I can have a mask of my own? And a gourd, too? How interesting. I think I will visit Old Tom then. Thank you for your help, Auric. I shall see you at the festival I hope?

Oroupah continues to maintain eye contact with Auric as they talk - and well after they finish talking too - unless otherwise diverted. If it appears to get uncomfortable she will eventually nod and proceed to make her way to Old Tom's place.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

It's difficult to note Auric's expression from his mask, but from the quirk of his lips he seems astonished. His gaze takes in Oroupah and her odd clothing and pack animal again, and returns her look. He nods slowly. His blue eyes seem to measure her and what she's said.

"Wow, outside the Marches. It's awful rare to have visitors like yourself around here. As far as I know Old Tom will get you a gourd- he's a good sort, not likely to let you fall prey to evil spirits in the new year just because you're a stranger. I'll be around if you want to grab a beer and talk later. Have fun, eh?"

Auric excuses himself to sign up for a game or two, wondering about the beautiful barbarian girl and what she said about a star. Could it be code for something that he was supposed to pick up on? No, it must have been for someone else... or she was serious.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
The roll's mostly for Auric being paranoid- he expects non-dwarf strangers to be either Hand operatives or collaborators meant to lure him out.

Auric gets in line to sign up for games- wrestling and feats of strength being his preference. He keeps an eye out for a red rooster- whether it's someone in a mask or painted on a building or a literal rooster, he's not completely sure.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Thinking it over, Auric frowns. Could she have been the contact and he didn't realize? A stranger wearing feathers, she spoke of a star and Daena is the moon goddess... but wouldn't a rooster be a man? She wasn't dressed in red either...


Oroupah makes her way to Old Tom's - looking around the building with curiosity. She approaches...

"Good morning. I am looking for Old Tom - for a mask and gourd...but how am I to use the gourd?"


Gendo wrote:


"So where should we start? Given that there are contests and my youth, though I care not for whether I am victor, perhaps a contest entry or two."

"Let's wander. We will see what the day brings." Before he steps outside his face changes, becoming once more the slightly moon-faced foolish look you saw before.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Oroupah wrote:

Oroupah makes her way to Old Tom's - looking around the building with curiosity. She approaches...

"Good morning. I am looking for Old Tom - for a mask and gourd...but how am I to use the gourd?"

The place is a modest cottage near the center of town. The door is open and upon poking your head in and inquiring you note that the front room appears to be set up as some type of workroom or shop. Various bottles and jars are lined up on shelves behind a wooden counter. Bundles of dried herbs hang from the ceiling, and a strangely carved gourd, with a snarling tusked face hangs from a beam right in front of the door. It's a rather ugly thing, but cunningly crafted.

"A moment, I'll be right there," calls a quavering voice from a doorway in the back of the room. Shortly thereafter, a bend old fellow comes hobbling into the room. He is quite likely the oldest man you've ever seen. His pink head is crowned with thin wisps of white hair and his face is almost obscured by wrinkles as he smiles at you.

"Good day, young miss, and a happy High Harvest to you. A mask and a gourd, you say? You can get yourself a mask over at the inn from Ouryn. As for a gourd, you must want one of my spirit lanterns." He putters around behind the counter for a moment and pulls up another carved gourd like the one hanging in front of the door, though a bit smaller. A ghoulish face has been carved into it. He places it on the counter in front of him.
"Simply light the burn pot inside it once night falls. It shall protect you from the spirits said to prowl about on this night, so long as its light continues to burn. I've attached a cord so you may carry it or hang it from your belt, as you choose. I could use a drink to whet my whistle. Shall I escort you to the Huntsman's Rest so we can get you a mask and me a cup of wine?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
William Varrus wrote:

William waits until the gnome appears to have a free moment before approaching, "It's a fine day for the festival, wouldn't you say?", he turns his gaze toward the gently fluttering leaves of the towering oaks, "The winds seems favorable today, would you be so kind as to sign me up for the archery competition this afternoon?

What mask is the gnome wearing? Or are they without one?

He has a mask, cunningly carved in wood and painted, in the shape of some type of songbird, sitting on the small table before him. He turns large blue eyes upon you.

"But of course, good sir. One silver will buy your entrance into the competition. How shall I mark you in the book?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Auric Ironwright wrote:

Auric gets in line to sign up for games- wrestling and feats of strength being his preference. He keeps an eye out for a red rooster- whether it's someone in a mask or painted on a building or a literal rooster, he's not completely sure.

Perception: 1d20+3

As you wait for the halfling in front of you to finish signing up for the archery event, you cast your gaze about on the crowd, looking for some sign of a rooster, but alas, there is none to be found at this point. In the meantime, you look over the list of events scheduled for today and note the following with openings available:

*wrestling
*stone throwing
*mock combat
*archery
*knife throwing
*foot race


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3
Jon Commoner wrote:
Gendo wrote:


"So where should we start? Given that there are contests and my youth, though I care not for whether I am victor, perhaps a contest entry or two."
"Let's wander. We will see what the day brings." Before he steps outside his face changes, becoming once more the slightly moon-faced foolish look you saw before.

"Ahh. People see what they want to see. I understand. Well, then let's wander towards the town center and see what we may."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1
Shadowborn wrote:
Auric Ironwright wrote:

Auric gets in line to sign up for games- wrestling and feats of strength being his preference. He keeps an eye out for a red rooster- whether it's someone in a mask or painted on a building or a literal rooster, he's not completely sure.

Perception: 1d20+3

As you wait for the halfling in front of you to finish signing up for the archery event, you cast your gaze about on the crowd, looking for some sign of a rooster, but alas, there is none to be found at this point. In the meantime, you look over the list of events scheduled for today and note the following with openings available:

*wrestling
*stone throwing
*mock combat
*archery
*knife throwing
*foot race

Auric looks over the list, and (since he feels competitive today) settles on wrestling, stone throwing, mock combat and the foot race. He pulls out a silver coin and stretches his muscles for the competition.


Male Halfling Bard 2
Shadowborn wrote:


He has a mask, cunningly carved in wood and painted, in the shape of some type of songbird, sitting on the small table before him. He turns large blue eyes upon you.

"But of course, good sir. One silver will buy your entrance into the competition. How shall I mark you in the book?"

William chuckles, "Preferably you may mark me as the victor, but alas, William Varrus will have to suffice for the time being." While the Gnome adds him to the list, William looks over the other competitions, "I think I might try my hand at the knife throwing as well, would you be so kind?" With that, William sets 2 silver coins on the table before turning to address those behind him. "May fortune smile upon each of you, my friends!"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The gnome takes William's coins and scribes his name in for the two events.
"Best of luck to you, William. I'm Gargin, village tailor when I'm not overseeing the festival games. The judges will announce when your events are starting. Next, please!" he calls, awaiting the next in line.

1 to 50 of 1,903 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.