Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadow over Riddleport

Game Master Joana

"Gristav failed to mention that our destination was a house of madness and murder... so no, I didn't come that prepared." -- Phillip Hargreaves


5,551 to 5,582 of 5,582 << first < prev | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | next > last >>

Male Human (Chelaxian)

Braddon:
General Mescher eagerly seizes the opening created by Ananda's discomfiture. "But my dear, that's what I want for you as well: a life of comfort and contentment. You've never lived in the country, and you're imagining it's isolated. From my understanding, this manor is no more than an hour's walk from a pleasant little village with shops and taverns. There would be ... harvest festivals and ... whatnot," he casts about, clearly somewhat at a loss himself about the rhythms of country life. "And there's a college, which would mean plenty of opportunities to meet young people. I really wish you'd consider the situation with an open mind rather than prejudicing yourself against it from the start."


Gristav drops neatly to the ground, having limited the danger to his ankles if not to his reputation as a derring-doer. Graves strides in, takes in the scene, and wrinkles his nose at the corpses. "They're not going anywhere on their own," he judges, "but in this heat, I'm glad I'm not taking the boat upriver with them. The Velashu smells bad enough. All right, men, let's tear this place apart if we have to. Find those fugitives!"


Male Human (Chelaxian) Wizard
Piccolo Taphodarian wrote:
"That does indeed sound interesting. The River District available to those with the vision to turn it into something other than it is, turn it into a...destination. Waterside property could be very attractive. Besides the cost of purchasing the property, why isn't this property developed?"

Tendal shrugs. "I can only tell you what I've heard, as the story predates my arrival in Riddleport. There was once a boss in River District, a man by the name of Job Trelawney who owned several warehouses. It was bruited about that he was plotting to overthrow Overlord Cromarcky, although Mr. Vankaskerkin suspects that he was probably merely jockeying with Avery Slyeg over warehousing fees and that Cromarcky was looking for a reason to move against him for the real estate that became Free-Coin District. At any rate, Cromarcky mobilized the Gendarmes and the other bosses against him."

"With Trelawney out of the way, the Overlord could lay claim to the land across the Velashu from Maskyr's Island and begin building his casinos; Avery Slyeg seized the warehouses along the wharves to expand his own sphere of influence. Most of the men in River District who had been loyal to Trelawney fled or were put out of business, and their properties have sat empty, save for rats, vermin, and squatters."

"Real estate law in Riddleport is ticklish," Tendal frowns. "Even with a written deed in hand, the officials on Maskyr's Island can make it difficult to obtain the proper licenses and permissions to build or renovate. Most of River District is in legal limbo at the moment, the deeds to the buildings lost or absent. But Mr. Felden and Mr. Vankaskerkin have managed to open the Gold Goblin, the first new enterprise in River District since Arnando Rolf established the Publican House. If we can demonstrate stability and success, Mr. Vankaskerkin feels that will encourage other businesses to hatch under our wings, as it were, which will enhance both our profit and our influence."

Piccolo:
You know that Avery Slyeg was Gaston Cromarcky's first mate in his piracy days and is now his closest and most loyal retainer, as well as being boss of the Wharf District and its shipping.


M 1/2E Magus 2 :2223a1: BAB1 CMB/D:3/15 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1 HP13/19 FRW522 Appraise7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Ride6 Scft7 UMD8 Diplomacy 5 Intim 5 Sense Motive 3 Perf:Dance 3

"It's already been looted.", Gristav says to no one in particular, as if continuing a conversation, "If only you saw the reward in leaving the place habitable. I saw the results of a search of the General's daughter's home... and then, found things you'd missed. Already shared with the General, which is why I was welcome here. Well, sent. I don't imagine I'm welcome. Should I share my methods and insights? It's more about duty and diligence, than... loutish license."


"I think I'll hang around then. That'll give me time to sit back and not have to listen to Gristav ramble on about whatever." He raises his tankard in a mock toast before taking another drink.


Male Gnome Bard (Negotiator) 2

"So Slyeg owns much of the property in the River District at the moment? Or is he a proxy for Cromarcky? It sounds as though Cromarcky is the boss of bosses in Riddleport. Anything that is done is done with his blessing or he makes it hard to do business."

Gold Goblin:
What are Slyeg and Cromarcky's professions? What kind of arcane and divine support do they have? What do I know? Knowledge Local1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Tendal "Magnimar" Deverin wrote:

Tendal shrugs. "I can only tell you what I've heard, as the story predates my arrival in Riddleport. There was once a boss in River District, a man by the name of Job Trelawney who owned several warehouses. It was bruited about that he was plotting to overthrow Overlord Cromarcky, although Mr. Vankaskerkin suspects that he was probably merely jockeying with Avery Slyeg over warehousing fees and that Cromarcky was looking for a reason to move against him for the real estate that became Free-Coin District. At any rate, Cromarcky mobilized the Gendarmes and the other bosses against him."

"With Trelawney out of the way, the Overlord could lay claim to the land across the Velashu from Maskyr's Island and begin building his casinos; Avery Slyeg seized the warehouses along the wharves to expand his own sphere of influence. Most of the men in River District who had been loyal to Trelawney fled or were put out of business, and their properties have sat empty, save for rats, vermin, and squatters."

"Real estate law in Riddleport is ticklish," Tendal frowns. "Even with a written deed in hand, the officials on Maskyr's Island can make it difficult to obtain the proper licenses and permissions to build or renovate. Most of River District is in legal limbo at the moment, the deeds to the buildings lost or absent. But Mr. Felden and Mr. Vankaskerkin have managed to open the Gold Goblin, the first new enterprise in River District since Arnando Rolf established the Publican House. If we can demonstrate stability and success, Mr. Vankaskerkin feels that will encourage other businesses to hatch under our wings, as it were, which will enhance...


hp 22 / 22; AC 16; Init +2 Male Half-elf Ranger 2

Gold Goblin:
Braddon nods in agreement with the General.
"If you don't have a better idea, you could at least try your father's. There's little to shop for here unless you're after a box of spiders. Or some flayleaf. Or one of Shorafa's... And a village would have handmade goods, and crafts, and the college and the manor house. If you didn't like it you could always come back. Just give us... it a few months, maybe six, until we... you've seen if you like it or not."
Braddon nods and smiles gently.
"It'll be fun."
Bluff (+2 vs Humans): 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 8 + 2 = 21


Braddon:
"I ... I suppose it does sound ... rather pleasant," Ananda admits shyly. "Better than staying in this house for the rest of my life."

The general beams.

-------------------------

Gristav wrote:
"It's already been looted.", Gristav says to no one in particular, as if continuing a conversation, "If only you saw the reward in leaving the place habitable. I saw the results of a search of the General's daughter's home... and then, found things you'd missed. Already shared with the General, which is why I was welcome here. Well, sent. I don't imagine I'm welcome. Should I share my methods and insights? It's more about duty and diligence, than... loutish license."

Graves smirks and nudges a fellow Gendarme in a manner that conveys the meaning, 'Oh, a college boy, eh?' "Heard there was a hound involved. Are you going to put your nose to the ground to follow their trail?"


Male Human (Chelaxian) Wizard
Piccolo Taphodarian wrote:
"So Slyeg owns much of the property in the River District at the moment? Or is he a proxy for Cromarcky? It sounds as though Cromarcky is the boss of bosses in Riddleport. Anything that is done is done with his blessing or he makes it hard to do business."

"Slyeg took the warehouses along the wharves," Tendal replies, "but he had no interest in the ones upriver. At present, unless someone turns up and presents a deed, no one 'owns' them. They're fallow ground, as it were, producing nothing of value to anyone. But if enterprising gentlemen were to evict the vermin and turn the properties into viable businesses, well, the Overlord would want to collect taxes from them; taxes are only collectible from the legal owner, so Maskyr's Island would be motivated to issue new deeds to the proprietors, rendering them legal possession. You see?"

"As to Gaston Cromarcky, you've the right of it: There are six bosses in Riddleport at the moment who have a seat on the council, but Cromarcky's the Overlord. As I understand it, the number of bosses waxes and wanes with their fortunes, and the one who can consolidate the most power lays claim to the head of city government and the benefits that accrue thereto. In theory, it's a dictatorship, although in practice, the Overlord needs the support of the others; if all five united against him, it would be touch and go, even with the walls of Maskyr's Island to protect him. Still, he's managed to hold on to power for more than twenty years while other bosses have risen and fallen, so he must be a man of considerable force of character."

Piccolo:
Gaston Cromarcky, a former pirate captain who frequented Riddleport Harbor, is the current Overlord. He controls the Gendarmes, Maskyr's Island, and the general running of the city. He built Free-Coin District and makes a great deal of money from its casinos, which he owns. When the district was constructed, he issued a law that prohibited prepared food being sold anywhere in the city other than Free-Coin after sunset Moonday through Starday, when his casinos operate. He thus enjoys a virtual monopoly on most evening entertainment, although the bars along the wharves and the Publican House are exempted from closing due to selling only liquid refreshment. He also extended Riddleport's sphere of influence by annexing Roderic's Cove, a smaller port town down the coast, where some captains had started diverting their ships to avoid Riddleport's harbor fees.

Avery Slyeg was Cromarcky's first mate in his pirating days. He is now the Overlord's 'capp,' or right-hand man, in addition to being in charge of the Wharf District and the harbor. His area of concern is shipping, and his capp is John Depuy, the harbormaster.

The other current bosses of Riddleport are Boss Croat, the leader of the local half-orcs and provider of 'protection' to property owners in Leeward District; Cleg Zincher, Saul's former capp who now organizes labor in town, as well as running the local bloodsports arena; Elias Tammerhawk, head of the Cypherlodge, the local mage's guild; and Shorafa Pamodae, high priestess of Calistria, who runs the hospitality industry.

In theory, all the bosses support Cromarcky's leadership, although it is rumored that Tammerhawk has his eye on the Overlord's title himself, resenting the fact that a simple uncouth pirate can claim a superior position to his own. Despite the arcane power at his disposal as the leader of the mage's guild, however, he has not publicly moved against Cromarcky, a fact which only heightens Cromarcky's reputation as a dangerous man.

No one you've spoken to in Leeward District has ever actually seen Cromarcky or been inside the complex on Maskyr's Island, although Slyeg is occasionally seen at the wharves, a crusty old sailor with a limp and straggly gray locks. It is said that the Overlord himself is somewhat younger than his capp.


Male Gnome Bard (Negotiator) 2

"What of you Tendal? Tell me about yourself. What are your ambitions? Why are you working for Saul? Or are you working for Saul? If you aren't, I don't mean to offend. Saul seems like a very nice man, but it's hard to imagine a wizard taking employment from a gaming house owner. Are you looking to open your own business? Is that why you're interested in the unused property along the River? It does sound like a profitable proposition. I do like to play games like the one being played in Riddleport. This whole city has the look of pieces on a very valuable board."

Tendal "Magnimar" Deverin wrote:

"Slyeg took the warehouses along the wharves," Tendal replies, "but he had no interest in the ones upriver. At present, unless someone turns up and presents a deed, no one 'owns' them. They're fallow ground, as it were, producing nothing of value to anyone. But if enterprising gentlemen were to evict the vermin and turn the properties into viable businesses, well, the Overlord would want to collect taxes from them; taxes are only collectible from the legal owner, so Maskyr's Island would be motivated to issue new deeds to the proprietors, rendering them legal possession. You see?"

"As to Gaston Cromarcky, you've the right of it: There are six bosses in Riddleport at the moment who have a seat on the council, but Cromarcky's the Overlord. As I understand it, the number of bosses waxes and wanes with their fortunes, and the one who can consolidate the most power lays claim to the head of city government and the benefits that accrue thereto. In theory, it's a dictatorship, although in practice, the Overlord needs the support of the others; if all five united against him, it would be touch and go, even with the walls of Maskyr's Island to protect him. Still, he's managed to hold on to power for more than twenty years while other bosses have risen and fallen, so he must be a man of considerable force of character."

** spoiler omitted **...


M 1/2E Magus 2 :2223a1: BAB1 CMB/D:3/15 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1 HP13/19 FRW522 Appraise7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Ride6 Scft7 UMD8 Diplomacy 5 Intim 5 Sense Motive 3 Perf:Dance 3
Gold Goblin wrote:
Gristav wrote:
..."Should I share my methods and insights? It's more about duty and diligence, than... loutish license."
Graves smirks and nudges a fellow Gendarme in a manner that conveys the meaning, 'Oh, a college boy, eh?' "Heard there was a hound involved. Are you going to put your nose to the ground to follow their trail?"

"No, but I also won't smash my way about the house, driving the quarry to desperate defense. There are innocents at risk, though that may mean little. There's also poison about, or there was. Were you counting on luck, numbers, or bullish strength? Or would you indulge me in gentle caution?"


Braddon:
With the tension between the two ends of the table alleviated, everyone's appetite seems to return, although yours is constrained by the three breakfasts you've had today. After the fish and vegetables, your plates are cleared by the same cadet who replaces them with saucers of thinly-sliced sponge cake with a lemon cream sauce.

-----------------------

Graves waves to his men derisively. "Watch the exits, men. The dandy's going to show us how to do our job." He leans against the trunk of the tree, ostentatiously folding his arms.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Wizard
Piccolo Taphodarian wrote:
"What of you Tendal? Tell me about yourself. What are your ambitions? Why are you working for Saul? Or are you working for Saul? If you aren't, I don't mean to offend. Saul seems like a very nice man, but it's hard to imagine a wizard taking employment from a gaming house owner. Are you looking to open your own business? Is that why you're interested in the unused property along the River? It does sound like a profitable proposition. I do like to play games like the one being played in Riddleport. This whole city has the look of pieces on a very valuable board."

"Not much to tell, really," Tendal replies with faux modesty. "Youngest son of the Magnimar Deverins; had an tutor from Absalom, after which merely keeping books for the family business simply couldn't keep my interest. Decided to try my hand in politics in apprenticeship to the mayor of Sandpoint, my aunt, but the scope of possibilities in a small town were again far too limiting. However, while in Sandpoint, I made the acquaintance of Orik Vankaskerkin, a successful small businessman, who supplied me with a letter of introduction to his father, Mr. Vankaskerkin, Senior. For the moment, between business, politics, and a somewhat wider horizon than Sandpoint could offer, I've found enough challenge to keep me interested."

He stretches his mouth into a sardonic moue. "Mr. Vankaskerkin asked me a similar question when I arrived: wondered at a trained wizard engaging in gritty commerce rather than abstract experimentation up at the Cypherlodge." He nods at the heights of Windward District, visible west of the Cyphergate, across the river toward the harbor. "Personally, I like a little practical in my magic; I like to think I'm accomplishing something more than leaving behind another dusty monograph on underwater prestidigitation that students of the future will be bored by their tutors with. Besides," he grimaces, "from what I've heard of Elias Tammerhawk, he's not the sort of man with whom I would care for the family name to be associated."


M 1/2E Magus 2 :2223a1: BAB1 CMB/D:3/15 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1 HP13/19 FRW522 Appraise7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Ride6 Scft7 UMD8 Diplomacy 5 Intim 5 Sense Motive 3 Perf:Dance 3
Gold Goblin wrote:
Graves waves to his men derisively. "Watch the exits, men. The dandy's going to show us how to do our job." He leans against the trunk of the tree, ostentatiously folding his arms.

"Dandy, really? I suppose. There's a path to that tree you're under, you might find them on your shoulders. And the roof just there, is a fair exit from the aviary. I'd ask you to wish me luck, but... I'm not that hopeful."

Gristav goes into the house, calling for the expected residents. "Neenah? Cassey? Micah? Padraig?"


Male Gnome Bard (Negotiator) 2

"Elias Tammerhawk sounds like a king moving pieces. An evil king we'll have to keep track of, at least until he can be removed from the board. That may take a while."

Piccolo smiles, "Idle talk from a new player not yet aware of everything on the board, but learning. I must be watchful for opportunities. Does Saul have a particular opportunity in mind? Or you for that matter Tendal? I'm eager to hear."

Gold Goblin:
Piccolo thinks, I'll need muscle in this town. It's violent and operates closer to the laws of nature than of civilization. I will have to seek out some muscle.I'm going to be on the lookout for some hired muscle, someone Piccolo feels can be loyal, preferably an ambitious gnome with racial loyalty or someone he feels he can control with magic rather easily if needed.

Tendal "Magnimar" Deverin wrote:

"Not much to tell, really," Tendal replies with faux modesty. "Youngest son of the Magnimar Deverins; had an tutor from Absalom, after which merely keeping books for the family business simply couldn't keep my interest. Decided to try my hand in politics in apprenticeship to the mayor of Sandpoint, my aunt, but the scope of possibilities in a small town were again far too limiting. However, while in Sandpoint, I made the acquaintance of Orik Vankaskerkin, a successful small businessman, who supplied me with a letter of introduction to his father, Mr. Vankaskerkin, Senior. For the moment, between business, politics, and a somewhat wider horizon than Sandpoint could offer, I've found enough challenge to keep me interested."

He stretches his mouth into a sardonic moue. "Mr. Vankaskerkin asked me a similar question when I arrived: wondered at a trained wizard engaging in gritty commerce rather than abstract experimentation up at the Cypherlodge." He nods at the heights of Windward District, visible west of the Cyphergate, across the river toward the harbor. "Personally, I like a little practical in my magic; I like to think I'm accomplishing something more than leaving behind another dusty monograph on underwater prestidigitation that students of the future will be bored by their tutors with. Besides," he grimaces, "from what I've heard of Elias Tammerhawk,...


Gristav wrote:
Gristav goes into the house, calling for the expected residents. "Neenah? Cassey? Micah? Padraig?"

There is no immediate answer to Gristav's call, at least the ground floor of the structure seemingly abandoned. He doesn't notice anything in the main lobby which seems out of place from the last time he saw it....


hp 22 / 22; AC 16; Init +2 Male Half-elf Ranger 2

Gold Goblin:
Braddon steals a glance at Ananda and flashes her an occasional smile. "I wonder what she'll be like in a few years time..."
He takes his time eating, partially because he's so full and partially because he's enjoying the meal. "There was nothing like this on that stupid ship for all that time. That was only last week, but it feels like years. Since then I've been..."
Braddon turns to the General.
"Excuse me. What do you know about the ghost in the Boneyard?"


Male Human (Chelaxian)

Braddon:
General Mescher is startled by the sudden change of subject. "Captain Cullie? Almost certainly an urban legend. We've had no reported deaths where the physical evidence definitively corroborates incorporeal attack. Most travelers found dead in the area seem to have fallen off the edge of the bluff into the swamp; some remains show signs of having been eaten by scavengers before they were discovered -- Ananda, excuse me," he suddenly remembers his daughter's presence and the fact that you're all at the dinner table. "Most witnesses only report seeing or hearing something frightening and running away. Why do you ask? Had a dare to spend the night out there, have you?"


Male Human (Chelaxian) Wizard
Piccolo Taphodarian wrote:
Piccolo smiles, "Idle talk from a new player not yet aware of everything on the board, but learning. I must be watchful for opportunities. Does Saul have a particular opportunity in mind? Or you for that matter Tendal? I'm eager to hear."

Tendal glances around the courtyard as if to make sure no one is eavesdropping and lowers his voice. "As a matter of fact, there's more to the Gold Goblin than meets the eye. The original owner had a fighting pit built in the sub-basement: an intimate space, obviously meant for an elite clientele. The space was walled over at some point; Mr. Vankaskerkin and Mr. Felden only discovered it after they'd taken possession and were carrying out renovations. Mr. Vankaskerkin and I have been discussing the possibility of opening it as an illicit gentlemen's club for the respectable men of Leeward District. As long as we only sell drinks and not food, we'll be steering clear of the Overlord's decree. Of course, we'd be stepping on the toes of Cleg Zincher; he runs the city arena, you know."


M 1/2E Magus 2 :2223a1: BAB1 CMB/D:3/15 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1 HP13/19 FRW522 Appraise7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Ride6 Scft7 UMD8 Diplomacy 5 Intim 5 Sense Motive 3 Perf:Dance 3
Gold Goblin wrote:
Gristav wrote:
Gristav goes into the house, calling for the expected residents. "Neenah? Cassey? Micah? Padraig?"
There is no immediate answer to Gristav's call, at least the ground floor of the structure seemingly abandoned. He doesn't notice anything in the main lobby which seems out of place from the last time he saw it....

Waving carelessly back at whatever guardsman might be watching, Gristav didn't watch for confirmation, but instead headed for the stairs, caution in his step, but, he hoped, absent from his voice.

"MICAH! I'll just leave this in the kitchen, then?", Gristav asked, not speaking a moment, while he presumably did so. He continued to approach the stairs, sharp eyes and pointed ears directed upward.

Absent any signal from above, Gristav will shortly ascend the stairs.


Gristav climbs the staircase, stepping around the drying bloodstain on the bottom steps. Like the ground floor, the hallway upstairs seems unchanged from when he last saw it, a hint of a hot breeze breathing in through the shattered window. As he stops to listen, he hears a faint, ragged whimpering from the room where he last saw Micah, Cassey, and Finnie.

------------------------

Snake nurses his tankard of ale while the working men around him finish their sandwiches and meat pies and begin to leave the tavern. When only a few are left, the halfling man calls toward the kitchen, "Lalie? You need me to stick around a while?"


M 1/2E Magus 2 :2223a1: BAB1 CMB/D:3/15 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1 HP13/19 FRW522 Appraise7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Ride6 Scft7 UMD8 Diplomacy 5 Intim 5 Sense Motive 3 Perf:Dance 3
Gold Goblin wrote:
Gristav climbs the staircase, stepping around the drying bloodstain on the bottom steps. Like the ground floor, the hallway upstairs seems unchanged from when he last saw it, a hint of a hot breeze breathing in through the shattered window. As he stops to listen, he hears a faint, ragged whimpering from the room where he last saw Micah, Cassey, and Finnie.

"Just going to check on Padraig. Look, I don't have long, you can unpack the kitchen goods, yes?", Gris calls casually, not making for Padraig at all, but rather, toward the whimpering, his staff held in the loose firmness that promised striking speed...


hp 22 / 22; AC 16; Init +2 Male Half-elf Ranger 2

Gold Goblin:

Anton Mescher wrote:
"Most witnesses only report seeing or hearing something frightening and running away. Why do you ask? Had a dare to spend the night out there, have you?"

"Done that already. Got attacked by it and it made me glow green. Something about joining its crew. But I don't feel cursed. Unless you count all the shh...tuff," he remembers the presence of Ananda, "that's been happening to me this week."


Male Gnome Bard (Negotiator) 2

Piccolo runs a his left index finger across his chin, then rests his hand on his left knee, "I assume Cleg Zincher means to hold his monopoly on fighting games with the use of force. If he is a aficionado of fighting games, I believe he would abide by the aphorism 'To the victor, go the spoils.' He will not mind some competition. In fact, he will relish it. I'm in, Tendal. It sounds like a fun game."

Tendal "Magnimar" Deverin wrote:
Tendal glances around the courtyard as if to make sure no one is eavesdropping and lowers his voice. "As a matter of fact, there's more to the Gold Goblin than meets the eye. The original owner had a fighting pit built in the sub-basement: an intimate space, obviously meant for an elite clientele. The space was walled over at some point; Mr. Vankaskerkin and Mr. Felden only discovered it after they'd taken possession and were carrying out renovations. Mr. Vankaskerkin and I have been discussing the possibility of opening it as an illicit gentlemen's club for the respectable men of Leeward District. As long as we only sell drinks and not food, we'll be steering clear of the Overlord's decree. Of course, we'd be stepping on the toes of Cleg Zincher; he runs the city arena, you know."


Braddon:
Ananda stares at you with wide eyes. "Mistress Vishki knew all about Captain Cullie," she confides breathlessly. "She said he was a ship captain in debt to one of the Riddleport bosses, and then he had to borrow from another boss to make his payment to the first one, and then another, and things just kept getting worse so he owed more money than his ship was worth to all of them together, and when he couldn't pay and they were going to take his ship and sell it at auction and take him and cut out his tongue and sell him as a slave and do all sorts of awful things to him, he ran his ship aground in the Boneyard one night and hanged himself from the mast, and ever since then, he's haunted the road into Riddleport as an admonishment to the heartless and corrupt city that goaded him into ruin."


Male Human (Chelaxian)

Braddon:
The general's sour frown expresses that perhaps whoever threw Zaiome Vishki off the cliff had done him a favor. "I believe you mean a yardarm, Ananda," he says didactically, "not a mast. And I would hardly call a system of laws which ensures that promises are kept and debts are paid a 'corrupt' one; in point of fact, it would seem more apt to apply such terminology to its opposite, in which a man's word means nothing and those who rely on promises and contracts in good faith are without recourse. What of it, Mr. Heart?" he asks you sardonically. "Did the apparition deliver an economic treatise on the benefits of collectivism?"


Gristav approaches the closed door, his staff at the ready. He lays his hand on the latch, but the door is locked; at the telltale rattle, the whimpering inside turns to moaning.

"Go away!" a voice calls from down the hall, coming from behind the door at the top of the stairs. "No vacancies!" It sounds like Cassey.


Female Halfling
Gold Goblin wrote:
Snake nurses his tankard of ale while the working men around him finish their sandwiches and meat pies and begin to leave the tavern. When only a few are left, the halfling man calls toward the kitchen, "Lalie? You need me to stick around a while?"

"Can you?" she answers, coming out of the kitchen, wiping down a clean tankard. "I'm not sure if Arnando's staying or going. Do you know?" she turns to Snake and asks bluntly.


hp 22 / 22; AC 16; Init +2 Male Half-elf Ranger 2

Gold Goblin:
Anton Mescher wrote:
"Did the apparition deliver an economic treatise on the benefits of collectivism?"

"Kind of. It said we had to pay a toll and it'd make me part of its crew. My father's a sailor. I'm not. We raced into a magic fog that appeared from nowhere but it cursed me with a green glow that lasted until we got back to town. It said it would send its crew after me, which seemed pretty dumb since I was there and it let us go. Or couldn't stop us. Or something."


Male Human (Chelaxian)

Braddon:
The general quirks an eyebrow at the report. "Similar to other witness statements. The apparition seems more intent on frightening its victims than harming them -- for which we can be grateful, I suppose. Perhaps it's merely a poltergeist. Did it throw anything at you?"


Male Human (Chelaxian) Wizard
Piccolo Taphodarian wrote:
Piccolo runs a his left index finger across his chin, then rests his hand on his left knee, "I assume Cleg Zincher means to hold his monopoly on fighting games with the use of force. If he is a aficionado of fighting games, I believe he would abide by the aphorism 'To the victor, go the spoils.' He will not mind some competition. In fact, he will relish it. I'm in, Tendal. It sounds like a fun game."

Tendal grimaces. "Let's hope you're right. Personally, I wouldn't put any great stock in the man's commitment to fair play. Still, he's loath to confront us openly, lest he make himself look weak by taking notice of a man who is supposed to be a has-been -- or worse, lest he be seen to lose! I would expect further subtle sabotage taken under a mantle of plausible deniability. You heard about the spiders in the wine shipment, I suppose?"


Male Gnome Bard (Negotiator) 2

"Fair is a relative term, meaningful only to the individual that has defined that word in his own mind according to standards only a thought-sifter might learn. I'm not interested in sifting Cleg's thoughts. Given the man's nature, his thoughts would petty, stupid, and violent with a touch of cunning. Besides, we don't want to let Cleg have all the fun do we."

Piccolo pats Tendal on the arm, "Where does Cleg reside? What are his main businesses? Do you happen to know? Or to put it to the point, where do I start?"

Tendal "Magnimar" Deverin wrote:
Tendal grimaces. "Let's hope you're right. Personally, I wouldn't put any great stock in the man's commitment to fair play. Still, he's loath to confront us openly, lest he make himself look weak by taking notice of a man who is supposed to be a has-been -- or worse, lest he be seen to lose! I would expect further subtle sabotage taken under a mantle of plausible deniability. You heard about the spiders in the wine shipment, I suppose?"

5,551 to 5,582 of 5,582 << first < prev | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadow over Riddleport All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.