Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris

Game Master Chris Shannon 719

This will be the Shackled City adventure path using the Pathfinder rule set. However, the existing deities (i.e. St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Wee Jas) will not be converted to similar Golarion gods.


201 to 250 of 13,605 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
Dyrant reaches for the napkin/note that Aroon brought by and gave to Atol and uses it to sop up the stew before wadding it into a ball and tossing it to the fire.

"Ah... oh."

Do I tell him he just threw away what might have been an important clue? No, I revere him too much to instruct him on good table manners. Besides it may have just been a floating piece of paper with no purpose at all. Just floating along, defying the laws of nature for no reason. Ah well, nothing for it.

Speaking to Dyrant, "Er. Um." How do I ask this? "I don't suppose you have any spare silver you can, uh, spare? I gave the last of my coin in service to the church." Atol leers at the stew a bit. "That stew looks really good. I will of course pay you back as soon as I am able. I receive good pay from the church for my services..." Atol trails off looking hungrily at Dyrant.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Ugh. I doubt they pay him in real money...it's probably just potato slices that have been dried in the sun. He probably forgot he ate his 'money'.

Dyrant turns to look again at Atol.

"Ever eat stew? Have you? Sometimes it tastes good with salt. Other times, a spicy pepper adds to the flavor. You and I are going to try an experiment."

Dyrant clears his throat so his is voice is nice and clear, then slows down his speech for the priest can understand.

"I want you to go over to those men there, see them?" Dyrant points to the hungry looking men at the inn. "I want you to bring them each a bowl of stew. And I'll get you one as well. I want you to find out if this stew tastes better with salt or pepper."

Dyrant considers further and adds yet more.

"Now, I want you to find out if the top of the stew tastes different than the bottom half of the stew...and if the last bite is as good as the first bite. I want to know what those men think too. So...will you help me out with this experiment? It may take a while."

Dyrant takes another bite of his stew and smacks his lips loudly, as if enjoying the taste ever-so-much.

"One more thing, find out what the flood festival is...and what they know of the Last Laugh Guild. Can you do that?"

Dyrant reaches into his purse and pulls out 3 silver pieces and slides them to Atol.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Atol takes the three silver reverently and orders three bowls of stew. He carefully salts one and peppers another. Then he takes those two bowls over to the hungry men...

"Gentlemen! I would ask of you a favor in exchange for a bowl of excellent stew. You sir are salt, and you pepper. Please carefully eat this stew all the way to the bottom. I want you to carefully taste each spoonful. When you are done, please go over to that gentleman over there," he gestures to Dyrant, "and tell him about your experience. Was the soup better tasting early on or at the end? Was there a change in flavor at all? Which was better, salt or pepper."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

What else was I supposed to ask? Something about the festival. Hrm. Better just have him ask those questions himself when they come back with their soup reports.

"For this effort and answering a few questions when you visit us, you get to keep the soup free of charge!" Atol grins.

Assuming somewhat positive grunts or comments...

Atol returns to his own bowl of soup. He VERY carefully salts one half of the bowl and peppers the other half. His face is twisted with concentration as he spoons his soup from one half of the bowl, then the other trying to see which is better - and more importantly what changes occur in his quest for the bottom. He barely enjoys the meal so focused is he on the experience...


Atol Lem wrote:
Assuming somewhat positive grunts or comments...

About 10 minutes later, the two men report to Dyrant as Atol continues his careful examination of his own bowl. One man is dressed in pants and a leather jerkin and has a hammer on his waist that has seen better days. "I had the salted stew, sir. The first few bites were indeed too salty. As the stew is made from yesterday's meat, it was already salted. The addition of more salt was too much. However, as I reached the middle and the end, the little bit of salt did indeed refresh the flavors of the ingredients in the stew. During my contemplation of this meal it helped me to see the error of my ways. I cannot wait for the festival and one heaping serving of luck. I need to work each day and create my own luck. I need to salt my own body in it's sweat with hard work. Your student has communicated the lesson well. I will leave immediately and seek work. If I can find none, I will work well into each evening perfecting my carpentry so that I might find work eventually. You are a great teacher sir. Praise be to St. Cuthbert!"

The second man has no tools at his sides and his hands lack any callouses. "Wise teacher, I had the peppered stew. It was a new experience for me. The first few bites were unbearable, but I was so hungry I continued. Towards the middle I was used to the taste and the nourishment began to revive me. By the end, I ate each bite with relish and longed for more when I was done. I too have seen the error of my life. Afraid of change, I eventually was left behind and lost my comfortable position as a clerk. I am now ready for whatever life peppers me with as long as it means I may eat well." He turns to Atol, "Be sure to not leave this teacher. I'm sure he has much more to teach you if you only ask."


Male Half-Elf Summoner (Synthesist) 1 / Paladin 2
GM_Chris wrote:
"Uh huh. Do gooder adventurers, right? Here to help and trample over everything, yes? Here to steal the glory from us hard working grunts?"

"Nothing could be farther from our goals, fine Sirs. It is the sterling work of the guard and city investigators that we wish to emulate, and offer our particular talents in the furthering of mutual goals in this case," Silfr says, gesturing at Finneas and himself.

"Just as you would not gainsay a blacksmith who is proud of the swords that help the guard, there is no fault in adventures who proudly offer service, at no cost to the city, on the odd case or two. After all when the day ends, it is the guard which everyone thanks for our excellent and consistent safety"

Diplomacy +5 charisma, +1 trait(Noble): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

"What do you say, may we speak with those working on this case and offer our abilities to advance the common goals?"


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
GM_Chris wrote:
"Be sure to not leave this teacher. I'm sure he has much more to teach you if you only ask."

"Thank you good sir! I must admit, I thought it a fools errand, but like a fool I failed to see the depth in the mission! Before you leave, could you please tell us more about the festival?

Atol swells with pride at his friends intelligence and depth!


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant's fingers clutch tighter around his spoon as each word about "lesson" and "teaching" reaches his ears.

What did that simpleton tell them?! There was no lesson to be learned! This was about stew and feeding the hungry man, nothing more.

Dyrant looks again at Atol then at the two men, astonished.

Another accident. It must be. Or there is something added to their batch of stews beyond the salt and pepper. It was just stew and no man's words would change that, would they?

Finishing this jealous thoughts and trying to recover his wits, Dyrant will address the two men.

"Ah, yes...and thank you as well for your honesty. What were you saying about a festival? I am new to town."

Teacher!? I am not this one's teacher! I would be fired as a failure for claiming to be able to teach Atol anything. I would sooner train a warg to hunt mushrooms.


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
"Ah, yes...and thank you as well for your honesty. What were you saying about a festival? I am new to town."

The man with the hammer answers, "The flood festival celebrates Cauldron's defeat of the annual floods. The churches work together to hold back the flood waters caused by the rains filling the lake. There is a festival with many games of chance and contests to prove one's strength or skills."


Silfr wrote:
"What do you say, may we speak with those working on this case and offer our abilities to advance the common goals?"

"When you put it that way it does seem much more reasonable. Please follow me to the captain's office."

Assuming you follow you are lead to an office on the main floor. The guardsman presents you to the captain who is looking over papers and muttering, "There are no connections. It doesn't make any sense." He glances up and offers a simple, "What can I do for you?"


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

"We have been to the orphanage and they have asked us to assist them in finding the 4 children that were kidnapped 3 nights ago. We were hoping for your assistance. Is there a connection between the children and the other kidnappings? What have your half-elf investigators discovered?"

Finneas smiles proudly, sure he couldn't have botched even so simple a statement.

Diplomacy +2
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Finneas Glenn wrote:
Finneas smiles proudly, sure he couldn't have botched even so simple a statement.

The man stands up from his chair and offers his hand, "Forgive my manners. I'm Captain Terseon Skellerang. These kidnappings have me at quite a loss. There have been as many as 25 in the last three months. Sure, some of the people might have simply moved away or been the victims of other fates, but now the children. It just doesn't make any sense."

Captain Skellerang

"Your working with Mother Tashykk? What is your connection to all this? And, what half-elf investigators are you talking about?"


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

"This festival sounds like a grand time. Did I hear you mention that you could win your fortunes? Is that through the games of skill and chance?"

Maybe I, too, will be looking forward to this festival in a few months...a chance to earn some money and find my way.


Male Half-Elf Summoner (Synthesist) 1 / Paladin 2
GM_Chris wrote:


The man stands up from his chair and offers his hand, "Forgive my manners. I'm Captain Terseon Skellerang. These kidnappings have me at quite a loss. There have been as many as 25 in the last three months. Sure, some of the people might have simply moved away or been the victims of other fates, but now the children. It just doesn't make any sense."

"Your working with Mother Tashykk? What is your connection to all this? And, what half-elf investigators are you talking about?"

"I am Silfr and this is Finneas," he says, gesturing to his companion, "and we are working with Mother Tashykk of the orphanage as you intuited. Composing of interested parties from backgrounds of nobility, clergy and also alumni of that institution we seek to discover the whereabouts of the missing children. Though now it seems this may be grander than we imaged."

Diplomacy +5 charisma, +1 trait(Noble)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

"I suggest we contribute our skills, magical and otherwise, to this endeavor in joint capacity with your effort. Here is our contribution so far," he says, and lists off the following information raising a finger for each point:

"We interrupted an assault last night by the Last Laugh gang against a cleric of St. Cuthbert, and heard them demand he stay away from the orphanage. Their faces were painted half light and half dark."

"We learned from Mother Tashykk that in addition to the guard a pair of half-elves claiming to be city investigators came by after the abduction of the children was reported."

"Finally we learned that a halfling named Revus Twindaggers was asking around about one of the youths who would later be abducted, a human child named Terrem Kharatys. Presently our companions are seeking his whereabouts."

I will leave out the details of how we acquired that information from Patches for now.

"Does this illuminate the puzzle that we found you working on, and do you have information that could assist us in this venture to rescure the orphans? For instance you mentioned upwards of 25 kidnappings, could they be related?"


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
"This festival sounds like a grand time. Did I hear you mention that you could win your fortunes? Is that through the games of skill and chance?"

"Yes. The church of Kord is a huge supporter of the festival, especially in regards to the games of skill and fighting. The merchants and even nobles also participate and open booths or sponsor parades. We have visitors from the entire region. Surely, you visited at least as a child."

"My favorite contest is 'Drink Down the Flood!' They only accept the first 64 people. The entry fee is one golden sun, but the prize is 30 suns and a very nice trophy. I represented the carpenters a few years ago and made it through the 4th day. You have one drinking contest per day--the loser is the first one to pass out. I sure got my moneys worth."

"If you're hoping to make a quick money though, you'll need some skills. Some of the richer booths will give you the opportunity to win 30 suns per game. Never won myself, but had a friend who did. Of course, he lost most of it before the festival was over. He threw some great parties those days though."


Silfr wrote:
"Does this illuminate the puzzle that we found you working on, and do you have...

"Not much, but it does surprise me to hear the Last Laugh is involved. Sure, they're notorious for their thievery, but I've never known them to be involved in kidnappings. Also, there have been no ransom demands and the families of the victims couldn't afford to pay one anyway--a lot of the victims didn't even have families. I can't see what their financial motivation would be. This is also quite unlike them to act as enforcers. They've always been very secretive so I appreciate the name of Revus Twindaggers. If there are connections, then I'm missing them. Take a look at the list for yourselves." He hands you a neatly written list of the victims.

Recent Abductees:

1-Tiervan Wisport (male gnome, age 91): A local alchemist, Tiervan lived with two cats and ran a marginally successful business. He disappeared 88 nights ago.
2-Jorl Seerkin (male gnome, age 72): A law clerk who worked for a local gnome barrister named Aeryk Gylbar, he disappeared from his home 83 nights ago.
3-Azmi Dresker (female human, age 19): A known prostitute who plied her trade at the Slippery Eel Tavern, she disappeared from her residence 81 nights ago. She and a coworker, Shellen Rycah, rented the house from an old woman named Matira Hathaway, who was asleep in the house that night and didn’t hear anything.
4-Shellen Rycah (female human, age 20): Another prostitute who frequented the Slippery Eel Tavern and shared a house with coworker Azmi Dresker and their landlord. Shellen disappeared 81 nights ago.
5-Krylscar Endercott (male human, age 24): Kicked out of the local milita for drunk and disorderly conduct, Krylscar vanished from his parents’ home 74 nights ago. Neither parent hear or saw anything suspicious, but they believe Krylscar may have robbed them and fled the town in disgrace.
6-Callum Sunnyrush (male Halfling, age 37): He groomed horses and ponies for the Lathenmire noble family. He vanished from his room at a cozy local inn 69 nights ago.
7-Gryffon Malek (male human, age 32): He worked as a barkeep at the Tipped Tankard tavern. He disappeared 66 days ago, three days before his planned wedding to tavern barmaid Imelie Deranti.
8-Szordra Callagher (female human, age 35): A self-proclaimed sage, she ran her own small bookstore. She was last seen 60 nights ago by her 18-year-old Leagan, a mason’s apprentice.
9-Tembor Kalavan (male human, age 25): A local minstrel of some repute, he vanished 52 nights ago from his room in the Laughing Horse Inn.
10-Irruth Mercadi (female human, age 36): A local chandler who disappeared from the apartment above her shop 47 nights ago.
11-Deven Myrzal (male human, age 18): A lamplighter who vanished 45 nights ago. Guards found the pole Deven used to unhook hanging lanterns in the street a few blocks from his home (which was not robbed).
12-Jeneer Everdawn (female Halfling, age 42): A jeweler’s apprentice who did volunteer work at Bluecrater Academy, she disappeared 40 nights ago.
13-Lorthan Ironfold (male dwarf, age 125): A skilled Cartwright. He and his wife Sondor, vanished from their home 35 nights ago.
14-Sondor Ironfold (female dwarf, age 127): Wife of Lorthan Ironfold, she and her husband disappeared 35 nights ago.
15-Rikaldo Vesker (male human, age 34): His ransacked home contained blood droplets and blood-encrusted knives – not surprising, since Rikaldo worked as a skinner. He disappeared 31 nights ago.
16-Lestor Coldwater (male human, age 22): A trained scribe and struggling poet. He and his girlfriend, Jelluth, vanished from her home 26 nights ago.
17-Jelluth Sirlana(female half-elf, age 33): A struggling shoemaker who inherited her father’s failing business, she vanished (along with her boyfriend, Lestor) 26 nights ago.
18-Elethor Ashstaff (male half-elf, age 58): A wizard and trickster who occasionally performed minor feats of prestidigitation at birthday parties for upper-class children. A dead rat – possibly Elethor’s familiar – was found in his home. He vanished 22 nights ago.
19-Maple (female Halfling, age 32): Last name unknown. Maple was rumored to be associated with the Alleybashers. She disappeared 18 nights ago.
20-Corystan Pike (female human, age35): A retired adventurer who walked with a cane. She disappeared from her modest abode 16 nights ago.
21-Jasper Drundlesput (male gnome, age 74): A reclusive and eccentric mathematician who worked at Bluecrater Academy, he is believed to have vanished nine days ago. Pieces of parchment covered with numbers and symbols littered the floor of his ransacked house.
22-Deakon Stormshield (male dwarf, age 9): A bright dwarf, Deakon was taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago. The orphanage took him in when he was six years old, after his parents failed to return from an adventure.
23-Evelyn Radavec (female human, age 9): A quiet, sullen girl, she was taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago. Her father and mother succumbed to the filth fever plague that struck Cauldron seven years ago.
24-Lucinda Aldreen (female human, age 8): A gregarious but superstitious child given to the Lantern Street Orphanage at age four by her poverty-stricken mother, Lucinda was abducted from the orphanage three nights ago.
25-Terrem Kharatys (male human, age 9): This orphan, taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago, is a dour and temperamental lad. His parents died shortly after his birth (circumstances unknown).


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
GM_Chris wrote:
"If you're hoping to make a quick money though, you'll need some skills. Some of the richer booths will give you the opportunity to win 30 suns per game. Never won myself, but had a friend who did. Of course, he lost most of it before the festival was over. He threw some great parties those days though."

This may be an opportunity, if I'm lucky enough, to get a little cash to help pay my way with my new friends. I don't like being a sponge...

"Thank you very much, you have both been more helpful than I ever expected. I wish you luck in your new lives, and may the blessings of St. Cuthbert be upon you always. Take care!"

Atol, smiling, settles back in his chair, belly full, and mind content. Truly this is the correct course of action. Never in all my years at the church did I have such success with saving lost souls from the dark path! I wonder... if that really is his holy symbol, perhaps he is the OLD MAN who set me on this path. Perhaps not old in years, but old in knowledge!

"Oh! Wait! Do either of you know the name Revus Twindaggers? We're looking for him."


Atol Lem wrote:
"Oh! Wait! Do either of you know the name Revus Twindaggers? We're looking for him."

1d20 ⇒ 10; 1d20 ⇒ 8

They both respond that they have not heard of him. There is nothing suspicious in their answers. However, from the bar Aroon spins his head toward Atol (1d20 ⇒ 8), which is noticed by both Atol (1d20 ⇒ 16) and Dyrant (1d20 ⇒ 16).


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant finishes licking his bowl clean and thanks the men for their time and help.

"I'll like to be seeing you at the Festival in a few months, friends. I hope we can do this again."

Dyrant looks around the room for Finneas or Silfr.

They should be here by now.

"I'm going to look for Silfr and Finneas. Come if you wish." Dyrant says to Atol as he leaves the tavern, head still spinning at the 'lesson of the stew'.

Another coincidence, I'm sure.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
"I'm going to look for Silfr and Finneas. Come if you wish." Dyrant says to Atol as he leaves the tavern, head still spinning at the 'lesson of the stew'.

"OK. I'll wait here in case they return. Erm, where will you be if they do arrive while you are gone?"


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3
GM_Chris wrote:


He hands you a neatly written list of the victims.

"And you say you do not know who these investigators are?"

"Silfr do you see anything these people have in common?"

Ponders

"Many of these people vanished from their homes. How did the kidnappers get in? Who are the Alleybashers? What was Jasper working on? How was the rat killed. And if this Revon was known to frequent the Slippery Eel, I find it suspicious that some of the early kidnappings were from there."


Male Half-Elf Summoner (Synthesist) 1 / Paladin 2

"This is a very detailed list, thank you. May I copy it?"

Assuming yes Silfr will scribble down a copy in his notebook.

"Have you tried plotting the abductions on a map of the cauldron? Perhaps they are all near a feature such as a sewer entrance. Can you tell us more about the Last Laugh gang? Their involvement in this afffair is certain."

"Finneas, the appearnce of the Slippery Eel springs forth like its namesake when I read the list as well. It concerns me that we left our companions there, and I suggest we regroup in haste. While this may be a coincidence at least we have information to share courtesy of the good Captain Skellerang."

"Captain, we will keep you informaed of what we discover, Presently we will ask around the Slippery Eel and also check with Mother Tashykk for a description of the half elves who claimed to be investigators."


Finneas Glenn wrote:
"Many of these people vanished from their homes. How did the kidnappers get in?"

"That is unknown. There has been no damage to the windows or doors. The locks have not been damaged and I bet they weren't picked--Ghelve makes excellent locks. Perhaps they are merely knocking and then forcing their way in."

Finneas Glenn wrote:
"Who are the Alleybashers?"

"Another gang of thugs like the Last Laugh. They're a bit more violent, street robberies and such. I'm afraid I'm not much help in that area either. Perhaps I should start a gang unit?"

Finneas Glenn wrote:
What was Jasper working on? How was the rat killed?"[/b]

"Don't know about his work, but the rat appeared to have died by the sword."

Finneas Glenn wrote:
And if this Revon was known to frequent the Slippery Eel, I find it suspicious that some of the early kidnappings were from there."[/b]

"The Slippery Eel would be a suspicious place even without these kidnappings."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3
GM_Chris wrote:


"That is unknown. There has been no damage to the windows or doors. The locks have not been damaged and I bet they weren't picked--Ghelve makes excellent locks. Perhaps they are merely knocking and then forcing their way in."

The locks...wait...the locks are the key? Key?

Male voice: Keys you fool!

"Who is Ghelve? Did he make all of the locks on these houses? Did he make the locks on the orphanage?"


Male Half-Elf Summoner (Synthesist) 1 / Paladin 2
GM_Chris wrote:


"That is unknown. There has been no damage to the windows or doors. The locks have not been damaged and I bet they weren't picked--Ghelve makes excellent locks. Perhaps they are merely knocking and then forcing their way in."

"I am reminded of the amusing story of a renowned lock maker who crafted the most ornate, complex and unpickable locks. For their fanciful shapes and designs they were demanded completely by the wealthy, whether noble or merely with aspirations. However there was one flaw - the locksmith only knew a single locking mechanism so all the devices were duplicate, and any key could open any lock!"


Finneas Glenn wrote:
"Who is Ghelve? Did he make all of the locks on these houses? Did he make the locks on the orphanage?"

"I couldn't say for sure, but it's likely he made them all. Heck, I bet most of the locks here at the barracks are his. Keygan Ghelve is a gnome that lives on the southwest side of town, just a couple doors west of the Bluewater Academy. His skill is so great that he has no competition here in Cauldron and people come from as far as Sasserine for his locks."


Male Half-Elf Summoner (Synthesist) 1 / Paladin 2
Finneas Glenn wrote:


"Who is Ghelve? Did he make all of the locks on these houses? Did he make the locks on the orphanage?"

"Finneas, I suggest we gather our allies and pay a visit to this gnome Ghelve."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3
Silfr wrote:
Finneas Glenn wrote:


"Who is Ghelve? Did he make all of the locks on these houses? Did he make the locks on the orphanage?"
"Finneas, I suggest we gather our allies and pay a visit to this gnome Ghelve."

"I agree, let us hurry, I no longer trust them alone in the Slippery Eel."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant goes outside the Slippery Eel and looks around.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

If he doesn't see them, he will return to a different table and have a sit.

Ah, time for some quiet contemplation while I await their return. I think they knew we were coming here.

Dyrant will perform the Litany of the Saints Among Us (a holy service to St. Cuthbert he will never, ever perform in *the* Cathedral) in his mind as he sits, trying to find peace after is days of troubles. Dyrants lips will move as he quietly intones the prayers.


Male Half-Elf Summoner (Synthesist) 1 / Paladin 2

Silfr will hurry back to the Eel, Assuming the Captaiin had no more business or information to share.

Constitution: 1d20 ⇒ 9

So tiring! Perhaps it is time to don the armor of the overworld.


Everyone finds each other again at the Slippery Eel. No one finds God.


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Finneas sits at the table and waits for Atol to come over.

Looking around before relaying information
Perception:
+1 Rank +3 Class Skill +0 Wisdom

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

As long as I don't notice anybody listening...which apparently I don't, so it's a good thing I'm paranoid. Following line was typed before I saw my result.

"We have a lead. It's in a cavern not far from here. Adventure calls"

Once we're safely outside the Slipper Eel

"It seems most of the locks in town are crafted by the same locksmith, a gnome named Ghelve. We are going to seek him out. Silfr has a list of all the kidnappings, and that is what they have in common. The Captain of the Guard has never heard of two half-elf investigators."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

I watch Dyrant leave the bar. I stare at my empty bowl and wonder what to do. Then I see Silfr and Finneas sit with Dyrant! Truly amazing. I walk over just in time to catch them getting up and leaving the bar. Dizzying!


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Yet again, Dyrant smiles and warmly greets Finneas as he sits down.

Dyrant smiles and warmly greets Silfr (the old one, I remember, a religious man).

Atol. The simpleton is coming to sit.

Addressing Silfr and Finneas, "So, how did it go with the guards? What happened?"

This all feels so familiar.


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Jumped the gun a tish, just ignore my post about leaving the bar just yet.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Now? Is now the right time?

Glimmil had waited patiently, entering the Slippery Eel on the heels of the older nobleman and the tall half-orc, seeing the moment he approached the band of investigators as a heroic quest of it's own merit.

After having spent the afternoon following them from the old orphanage to the barracks, he knew he had to find the right moment to approach them. The timing had to be perfect, and he had obsessively polished his armor to perhaps the highest and most dynamic shine he had ever managed.

I will truly radiate valor, courage and... heroic-ness!

Wait... the tall one is looking my way, perhaps he is going to share some secrets of their investigations with his companions?

Glimmil worried that Finneas would see him, but the half-orc simply looked right past the gnome - as if he weren't even there! Aha, eluded that 5 on Perception!

Seeing the chance to get closer, he hopped off his chair and moved to an adjacent table. The friendly looking man with the empty bowl noticed him, but didn't seem to alert the others. Glimmil strained to hear.

A connection with Ghelve! A list of all the kidnappings! Half-elf imposters! These were truly heroes worthy of his company! He must not wait...

A gnome, resplendent in highly polished armor hops off his chair and climbs onto a long bench near Dryant. Wearing a charming grin with fire in his eyes, he quickly glances at you all before gazing skyward and announcing himself.

"Investigators! Fear not, for you have attracted the attention of the Gnomish hero Glimmil Cobwaddle the Third! I shall protect you - against the rabble of this town as you find the evil... errr"

The gnome pauses for a moment searching for a suitable word.

"... do-badders that have perpetuated these crimes!"

He ends with a flourish, before hopping down and moving near Silfr, - lest he appear too tall and terrifying that he scares off his new friends.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

"Hello Gnomish Hero Glimmil Cobwaddle the Third, good day to you! Erm, have you tried the stew? It's most excellent. You seem like a pepper man."

Who is this man? He seems quite excited. Is it a religious fever? I wonder if he was sent by the church to aid us?

"Are you from the Church of St. Cuthbert by chance, sent to help us find the stolen children?

So far we have needed no protection, but we do need more help, our other companions seem to have left us - or were payed to leave."

Brilliant entry!


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

The wise-looking one with the empty bowl was the first to greet Glimmil!

How well this is going! He beamed.

"Saint Cuth...", the gnome paused for a moment while thinking. Who is Saint Cuthbert? It mattered not.

"No! Better!" he decreed with absolute certainty and a flourish, "I come to you in the service of the Watchful Protector, The Priceless Gem, The Sparkling Wit!" He paused for dramatic effect.

"Glimmil Garlgold!"

Wait, I just said my own name... Glimmil stood for a moment, without speaking, glancing about nervously. Maybe they won't notice.

Knowledge Local DC10:

The name of Glimmil Cobwaddle belongs to a gnomish family of cobblers in Cauldron.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
Glimmil wrote:

"Saint Cuth...", the gnome paused for a moment while thinking. Who is Saint Cuthbert? It mattered not.

"No! Better!" he decreed with absolute certainty and a flourish, "I come to you in the service of the Watchful Protector, The Priceless Gem, The Sparkling Wit!" He paused for dramatic effect.

"Glimmil Garlgold!"

"Ah. Oh. I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with him. Welcome and pull up a chair. We are about to learn what our friends found at the guard. You really should try the stew." Might calm you down a bit.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28 Knowledge (Religion) on the gnome gods

Glimmil wrote:
"Glimmil Garlgold!"

Dyrant stares at the gnome, then at Atol who had just joined his table.

Ah. Things are falling into place now.

Dyrant smiles at the god's jest. Dyrant smiles wide, even pushing back his chair so that he can stand if need be.

Of course!! This is another test!!

Dyrant rises...adding the pieces together as his mind puts together the pieces of divine puzzle before him.

"Of course. Of course!! This is another test. St. Cuthbert is trying my patience! Seeing how far he can push me! HA HA!!" Dyrant smiles and snoggles Atols nose with his fingers, looking him right in the eye.

"It makes sense now, Atol! I get it!!" Dyrant smiles broader.

Dyrant walks around to the back of Atol's chair and clasps him on the shoulders. "I was doing so well with dealing with you, Atol, that they sent another simpleton as well! Another one to try and test my patience...as if my life wasn't going badly enough!! St. Cuthbert is still testing me!"

Which means that St. Cuthbert still finds me lacking, but *worthy* of notice!

Dyrant picks up his backpack and starts speaking inside it.

"Hear that Angel? The first simpleton has attracted a second!! Our god is testing me harder now! I must have passed the first test, Angel!" Dyrant puts his backpack gently on the ground.

"I get it, Angel, I get it!! Another test!" Dyrant reaches out to shake the hand of the polished gnome.

"Well met, Garl Glittergold! For that is who I shall assume you are! I am Dyrant! This one here is Atol. That one is Finneas, he's tall. And the old one is Silfr. Welcome!"

Dyrant sits back in his chair, profoundly delighted to have figured out the machinations of the gods and willing to accept their challenge.


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

"Welcome Glimmil, or Garl if you prefer."

Knowledge: Religion +4 (1 rank)
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

I've no idea what Dyrant is on about. Perhaps there is something in his soup?

Perception:
+1 Rank +3 Class Skill +0 Wisdom

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

"Dyrant, did you put something in your soup? Salt and pepper or something stronger?"

"At any rate, have a seat master Cobwattle Glittergold, and tell us what brings you to our table so suddenly. Have no mind for Dyrant, he is quite sane, although the backpack is a tad crazy."


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

At first Glimmil was worried that the investigators might think him too small to contribute to their efforts. He was used to the tall-folk thinking like that, which was why he needed to ensure his armor was super-shiny to make the best impression.

It seems to have worked! Even the tired looking one seems energized by my stirring words!

Yes yes! We shall make the gods proud! Garl! Nebelun! Sheyanna! Even the Saint of the Cuthbert!"

As Dryant calms, so does Glimmil, eventually brought into a more rational demeanor while striving to concentrate on what Finneas is saying.

"You can call me Glim if you like, good sir Finneas," the gnome begins, sniffing at the pleasant smell of the peppered stew. He holds out his hand as a courtesy to all four men.

"I know the four of you have already began building names for yourselves with your heroic deeds all over Cauldron!" Glimmil waves at one of the wenches, but she pays the gnome no attention.

"My dear, sweet Elly Daermottin - her cousin Jasper disappeared recently and the guards just haven't seemed the slightest bit interested in finding him." Glimmil makes to wipe an imaginary tear from his cheek.

"I knew it was time for do-heroics and deed-derring, for he must be found! His brilliant mind was too precious to be lost!"

"Folks didn't seem much interested in helping, and some other small-folk, of the human sort, seemed to go next, and then you tall-folk finally got interested! I just know they will all be found!"

Glimmil retrieves a small wire from somewhere on his person and begins twisting it into a loop with nervous energy as he tries to concentrate, having realized what he said was nothing like the fifty-seven practice speeches he worked on this morning.


Male Half-Elf Summoner (Synthesist) 1 / Paladin 2
Glimmil wrote:


After having spent the afternoon following them from the old orphanage to the barracks, he knew he had to find the right moment to approach them. The timing had to be perfect, and he had obsessively polished his armor to perhaps the highest and most dynamic shine he had ever managed.

Past Perception (2 wisdom, 2 half elf) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Hmmm ... I thought I saw an armored gnome as we marched around today, but put no significance to it. I should be more careful, while he seems helpful, not all enemies will declare their allegiance with theatrical face paint.

Glimmil wrote:


"Investigators! Fear not, for you have attracted the attention of the Gnomish hero Glimmil Cobwaddle the Third! I shall protect you - against the rabble of this town as you find the evil... errr"

The gnome pauses for a moment searching for a suitable word.

"... do-badders that have perpetuated these crimes!"

"Ah, our first bit of good luck today! Welcome Glimmil, you find yourself with a recently acquainted conglomerate united by common purposes, the rescue of the vanished. A purpose so close to your heart, as you have informed us, that we could ill afford to turn you away! So let us unite in our activities. We propose moving our investigations from this cozy inn to the lock maker Ghelve."

On the mention of Garl Glittergold, Knowledge: religion +6 (1 rank, 3 class, 2 int) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

"A follower of Garl Glittergold, you say? I hope you bring us his luck and our opponents his trickery," Silfr says with a smile.

After Dryant finds victory in a shouting match with an inanimate object, Silfr will whisper into Glimmil's ear, leaning down to do so as the gnome had moved to him.

Whisper to Glimmil:

"Unlike Finneas I place no warranty on that man's sanity. Be mindful of your possessions, he already has stolen a holy symbol from kind Atol by threat of his crossbow."


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1
Silfr wrote:
"A follower of Garl Glittergold, you say? I hope you bring us his luck and our opponents his trickery," Silfr says with a smile.

"Indeed I shall!", Glimmil affirms, a broad smile affixed to his face.

At Silfr's whisper, Glimmil eyes Dryant warily.

Ah, the poor man is just old and tired, I will surely invent a way to liven up his otherwise drab life. Glimmil begins to think of increasingly more complex schemes involving uniquely gnomish flair that will surely brighten Dryant's demeanor.

What does Glimmil know about the fellow gnome Ghelve? Anything the party doesn't already know?


Glimmil wrote:
What does Glimmil know about the fellow gnome Ghelve? Anything the party doesn't already know?

Keygan Ghelve:
He is 110 years old, with salt-and-pepper hair and a neatly trimmed mustache and goatee. His busy eyebrows, creased face, and graven frown make him looke frumpy and dour, but he possesses a sly wit and a disarming manner. He wears stilts while working in the shop so he can see his customers eye to eye. He visited Jzadirune as a child, but has refused to speak of it during any family social occasions. A bit bored by the lock business, he took up magic about a year ago. He keeps a regular schedule. He opens at 9 in the morning, takes lunch for an hour at noon, and closes at five. He uses three of his own locks on the shop's door. He lives above the shop.

It is now 4pm as you hear bells ring in the distance.


Male Half-Elf Summoner (Synthesist) 1 / Paladin 2

If we leave now can we reach his place before closing time? If so I would like to do that...

"We should tarry here no longer, my friends. To Ghelve," Silfr says as he heads for the door and onwards to the lock-master, without checking to see who follows.


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Finneas nods and follows

"Come Glim, let us find your friend."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Still chuckling to himself from his masterful unwinding of the Gods plans, Dyrant gathers his things and leaves as well.


The trip to Ghelve's takes about a half hour through the somewhat crowded streets. You approach the store which has a small turret that dominates the facade of this two-story black stone building. Iron bars are embedded in the thick window frames. Beyond the turret's ground-floor windows sits a lovely display of locks, from large to small, simple to complex. To the left of the turret, above an open heavy oak door, swings a simple sign that reads "GHELVE'S LOCKS." Inside you see a gnome behind the counter reading a book.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Can we assume that the information Silfr and Finneas got from the guards has been shared in full? And likewise the information about the Flood Festival (and The Parable of the Stew) has been shared back?

On the way walking to Ghelve's, Dyrant will ask the good gnome, "So, my friend Garl, where did you say were you from again?"


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
Can we assume that the information Silfr and Finneas got from the guards has been shared in full? And likewise the information about the Flood Festival (and The Parable of the Stew) has been shared back?

Yes. I meant to say this and of couse you can talk on the way there.

201 to 250 of 13,605 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.