Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris

Game Master Chris Shannon 719

This will be the Shackled City adventure path using the Pathfinder rule set. However, the existing deities (i.e. St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Wee Jas) will not be converted to similar Golarion gods.


8,401 to 8,450 of 13,749 << first < prev | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | next > last >>

Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Round 3, Init 14

"Aralynn! Find that evil, fly above it so I might see it as well!"

Dyrant thanks St. Cuthbert for a loyal and dedicated true Archon to have assisting them in this matter.

Dyrant flies over Maavu (5' above him).

"Maavu, I would have words with you when this is done. The Church of St. Cuthbert would have discussion with you and Alek before this situation gets any worse. If you want assistance getting to immediate safety, let me know."

Move and talk.


Dyrant bumps into something. And Dyrant is the last to go, so it won't help the others, but he can do something.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant rocks angrily as he bumps something in his airspace.

"My Aralynn's fuzziest gear! What are you? Show yourself!"

Dyrant will fly 5' back (provoking)...

More to come based on that. I guess Dyrant's speech to Maavu didn't get off, eh?


Nothing happens to Dyrant. I was running out the door.

"Yes. We should talk. The doctor knows who to talk to in order to reach me. This potion should allow me to get away though."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Move. Bump. Continue move.

Dyrant casts See Invisibility.

I don't think he would have had a chance to speak if he never got to his destination.


Dyrant sees:
Medium fire elemental


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

"Doctor! Atol! We have a big fiery unseen ugly up here!"


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Round 3 Init 20

Status:

HP = 69/69
AC/T/FF = 25/13/24
Weapon Equipped = None
Speed = 25' (30' unarmored)
Rage/day = 7/7
Hero Points = 2
Oracle Spells Left (CL 5, +10 melee touch, +7 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud, Levitate, Minor Image, Grace, See Invisibility
1 7/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*, Protection From Evil*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Magic Vestment, Shield Other

"Ok Atol. Excuse me. Pardon me. Everybody MOVE!"

Finneas begins leading Atol closer to the downed guards.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 2, Initiative 5, Location U26->V25

Status:
Atol HP: 57/57
Angel HP: 28/28
Weapon Equipped = None
Conditions =
Channel Energy Left: 8/8
Healing Touch: None
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Pearl of Power Left: first (2 of 2)
Cassock of the Clergy: Bless, Sanctuary (DC11)
Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Purify Food & Drink, Stabilize - Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1) Bless, Bless, Command, Divine Favor, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Lesser Restoration, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon
3) Prayer, Invisibility Purge, Resist Energy, Communal
4) Spell Immunity, Blessing of Fervor, Spiritual Ally

Seeing Glimmil heal the injured, Atol takes out a scroll of Calm Emotions (cast at 3rd level) and centers it at w/x 15/16 so as to effect the guards, the archers, and the front wave of the crowd. He then steps even closer to the mob.


Before Maavu can drink his potion, a creatue of fire appears above his head and slashes down at him.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 1 = 25
2d4 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5 damage
1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 1 = 14 miss

Maavu doesn't drink his potion, but instead runs off to the southeast (double move of 120'). The guards stare up at the fire and stand motionless.

1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 1 = 20 AoO
2d4 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6 damage
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 Maavu's knowledge planes
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13 - Guards' will saves. Paralyzed.

Gaze:
Gaze (Su) A gaze special attack takes effect when foes look at the attacking creature's eyes. The attack can have any sort of effect: petrification, death, and charm are common. The typical range is 30 feet, but check the creature's entry for details. The type of saving throw for a gaze attack varies, but it is usually a Will or Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 gazing creature's racial HD + gazing creature's Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature's text). A successful saving throw negates the effect. A monster's gaze attack is described in abbreviated form in its description. Each opponent within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw each round at the beginning of his or her turn in the initiative order. Only looking directly at a creature with a gaze attack leaves an opponent vulnerable. Opponents can avoid the need to make the saving throw by not looking at the creature, in one of two ways.

Averting Eyes: The opponent avoids looking at the creature's face, instead looking at its body, watching its shadow, tracking it in a reflective surface, etc. Each round, the opponent has a 50% chance to avoid having to make a saving throw against the gaze attack. The creature with the gaze attack, however, gains concealment against that opponent.

Wearing a Blindfold: The foe cannot see the creature at all (also possible to achieve by turning one's back on the creature or shutting one's eyes). The creature with the gaze attack gains total concealment against the opponent.

A creature with a gaze attack can actively gaze as an attack action by choosing a target within range. That opponent must attempt a saving throw but can try to avoid this as described above. Thus, it is possible for an opponent to save against a creature's gaze twice during the same round, once before the opponent's action and once during the creature's turn.

Hadn't seen this coming, but should have. Maavu is about to leave the map.

Please advise if you're going to make the save, close your eyes, or avert your eyes. DC 18 will save or paralyzed.

Everyone who could be stabilized has been by Glimmil's channel.

Party up
Round 3
Glimmil = 7
Atol = 5
Round 4
Toffitt = 23
Finneas = 20
Dyrant = 14
Other 13
Mob 12
Guards 9

New Map


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Chris, could you clarify a bit what's causing the gaze, where the area of effect is, etc.? I infer it's coming from the fire creature next to Toffitt, but it's not 100% clear. Assuming it is, though, Toffitt would have no reason not to look, since it's threatening him and he doesn't know better...

Wlll 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 3, Initiative 5, Location V25

Status:
Atol HP: 57/57
Angel HP: 28/28
Weapon Equipped = None
Conditions =
Channel Energy Left: 8/8
Healing Touch: None
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Pearl of Power Left: first (2 of 2)
Cassock of the Clergy: Bless, Sanctuary (DC11)
Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Purify Food & Drink, Stabilize - Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1) Bless, Bless, Command, Divine Favor, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Lesser Restoration, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon
3) Prayer, Invisibility Purge, Resist Energy, Communal
4) Spell Immunity, Blessing of Fervor, Spiritual Ally

Atol gazes up at the creature happy that it's now visible to attack.

Willpower 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25 vs DC 18

Seeing as everyone is likely paralyzed with fright at seeing the creature and there is no further reed to concentrate on Calm Emotions, Atol casts Spiritual Ally creating the ally above and behind the creature so as to give Dr. Toffit flank.

Spiritual Ally 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 2 = 32 for 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 points of damage.
Spiritual Ally crit confirm 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 10 + 2 = 21 for 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 points of damage.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 8 + 2 = 25 Will Save vs Gaze

1d20 + 18 ⇒ (18) + 18 = 36 Know (Planes) on fiery beast

Echoing Toffee. What is causing the gaze attack?


The AWESOME presence of the fiery creature leaves Toffitt paralyzed.

30' radius, The word fear is in the text, but not description. It's supernatural, so I'm figuring like a medusa/basilisk gaze. So, apply fear modifiers and Glimmil would be immune.

Dryant the all knowing:
Breathdrinker - Fire Elemental SUPREME - Fear Gaze (aura or directed attack), Steal breath (CON drain from paralyzed/helpless creature), Air Mastery (+1 vs flying creatures), invisibility at will as a free action, DR 10/magic, perfect flight


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

"Glimmil, get your bow!"


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Round 4 Init 20

Status:

HP = 69/69
AC/T/FF = 25/13/24
Weapon Equipped = None
Speed = 25' (30' unarmored)
Rage/day = 7/7
Hero Points = 2
Oracle Spells Left (CL 5, +10 melee touch, +7 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud, Levitate, Minor Image, Grace, See Invisibility
1 7/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*, Protection From Evil*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Magic Vestment, Shield Other

Will DC 18: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Too far from Glimmil to make a difference I think.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Round 3 Init 7

"What in the blazes is that?"

Blazes! It's a big blaze!

"Bow? Yes, of course! My bow!"

I have a feeling the arrows are going to be incinerated by this thing, but you never know. Maybe if they are blessed by Garl's holy holiness!

Move action to pull out the bow, swift action to turn on Garl's holy smitage, and a standard action to fire away.

Attack (longbow, smiting, not accounting for melee/cover): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 34 for 1d6 + 3 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 12 = 20

Status:

+7 BAB
+1 Mwk
+1 Size
+1 Dex
+6 Smiting


The elemental turns invisible and moves out of sight. In the distance you can hear Maavu cursing as the elemental strikes at him and then disappears.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 - elemental attack
2d4 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5 damage
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 - elemental attack AoO
2d4 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7 damage (17 so far)

Maavu provokes as he steps away and casts glitterdust.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16 - Elemental saves

Recap
Round 3
Glimmil = 7 Hits for 20
Atol = 5 - Hits for 7
Round 4
Toffitt = 23 paralyzed for

rounds:
1d4 ⇒ 2

Finneas = 20 paralyzed for
rounds:
1d4 ⇒ 4

Dyrant = 14 - talking
Other 13
Mob 12
Guards 9

Party up
Round 4
Glimmil = 7 - 100' away
Atol = 5 - 100' away
Round 5
Toffitt = 23 - paralyzed - 100' away
Finneas = 20 - paralyzed - 100' away
Dyrant = 14 - 100' away
Elemental 13
Maavu 12 - 60' from elemental, 160' from party

I'm going to run the rest of this without a map. The elemental is obviously focused on killing Maavu and won't have cover unless stated otherwise. To account for buildings and curves in the streets, a party member will need to be with 50' of the elemental or Maavu to see him. Maavu is currently fleeing away from the party. Maavu has expeditious retreat and the elemental has haste. With Maavu on the ground his double move is essentially a single move of the elemental so he can't get away. Maavu did cast glitterdust so the elemental is visible.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Sorry. Dyrant wasn't just talking. He was waiting for Glim, then was going to go. I wasn't feeling well and went to bed. :(

Round 3, Init 14

Dyrant casts Glitterdust from the scroll in his hand on the creature. (DC 13 Will)

Dyrant will fly 60' towards Maavu, avoiding the breath drinker.

"Aralynn catch Maavu. Give him the protections of St. Cuthbert!"

Aralynn will move 100' towards Maavu.


1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16 - Will save vs. Dyrant


So end of Round 3/4. Dryant casts glitterdust. Breathdrinker saves and goes to attack Maavu. Maavu still casts glitterdust hoping to flee from a blind creature, but fails.

Entire party is up including Dyrant.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 4, Initiative 5, Location V25

Status:
Atol HP: 57/57
Angel HP: 28/28
Weapon Equipped = None
Conditions =
Channel Energy Left: 8/8
Healing Touch: None
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Pearl of Power Left: first (2 of 2)
Cassock of the Clergy: Bless, Sanctuary (DC11)
Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Purify Food & Drink, Stabilize - Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1) Bless, Bless, Command, Divine Favor, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Lesser Restoration, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon
3) Prayer, Invisibility Purge, Resist Energy, Communal
4) Spell Immunity, Blessing of Fervor, Spiritual Ally

Atol bellows at the top of his lungs, "Maavu get back here! We cannot protect you if you run away from us!"

He then turns to Toffit and Finneas. He pulls out a scroll of Remove Paralysis and casts it on Finneas and Dr. Toffitt (I think they were less than 30' from each other on the sat map). Each get another save vs Paralyzation at +4.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Round 4, Init 14

He's going the wrong way.

"Aralynn, protection!"

Aralynn will fly to Maavu and touch him with Protection from Evil. DC 12 Will Save, 1/3 cast.

Dyrant will fly 60' closer and glare at the elemental.

"This one is protected by St. Cuthbert, begone in failure!" Dyrant will hold forth his holy symbol while giving the elemental a glaring of a lifetime.

DC 20 Will save vs. -4 to attacks for 8 rounds. If save, -4 for just one round.

"Maavu! Move back towards the gnome! He can protect you. He's very...very...uhm, brave! He's brave!"


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Will save v. Paralysis 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 4 = 18


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Round 5 Init 20

Status:

HP = 69/69
AC/T/FF = 25/13/24
Weapon Equipped = None
Speed = 25' (30' unarmored)
Rage/day = 7/7
Hero Points = 2
Oracle Spells Left (CL 5, +10 melee touch, +7 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud, Levitate, Minor Image, Grace, See Invisibility
1 7/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*, Protection From Evil*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Magic Vestment, Shield Other

Will DC 18: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Finneas shakes off his fear at the sight of the evil creature and looks around.

"Thank you Atol."

Seeing that most have run off but that the injured guards are still in trouble Finneas will move towards them.

Move to stand in middle of punked guards.


Glimmil to go and then the elemental and Maavu.

I'm not sure if the cavalier modifies these, but the shooting from Cog will be -4 and has to be taken by the end of the first movement.

Mounted Combat:
You can use ranged weapons while your mount is taking a double move, but at a –4 penalty on the attack roll. You can use ranged weapons while your mount is running (quadruple speed) at a –8 penalty. In either case, you make the attack roll when your mount has completed half its movement. You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon while your mount is moving. Likewise, you can take move actions normally.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Round 4, Init 7

"Here, Maavu! Here!"

Glimmil rides ahead furiously on Cog, still clutching his bow, and waving it around in the air hoping Maavu will see him.

Double move 70ft closer to Maavu (on Cog-back), or if a sprint action is possible, he'll do that.


1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 Save vs Dyrant -4 now. Man, not sure which one of you is evil.

The elemental does a fly by attack on Maavu and slashes him with his fiery arm. The creature ends 30' above the ground. Maavu sees the party coming to his aid and decides to stand his ground and casts a spell.

Spellcraft DC 16:
Shocking Grasp

1d20 + 6 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 6 - 4 = 18
2d4 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5 (22 damage so far)

Not in the mood for a long chase scene in PbP. Again no map. You're there or not. No cover for elemental, but I'll keep giving its height off the ground.
Round 5
Glimmil = 7 - nearby
Atol = 5 - 100' away - Remove paralysis
Round 6
Toffitt = 23 - 100' away, but didn't take a turn. Assuming a double move, he's there.
Finneas = 20 - 100' away - Helping guards
Dyrant = 14 - Nearby
Elemental 13
Maavu 12 -


Going to end this combat. It might have made sense in 3.5 rules, but it's fallen apart here. Also, the protection from evil neutralizes the threat and 2d4 attacks are a joke. The CON drain will never happen, especially not two which is what it would take for the kill. I apologize for not playing this one out in my head ahead of time. I could have found a better creature or tweaked it.

The elemental flies off into the distance, waiting for its summoning time to end. Maavu thanks you and is willing to talk as the chase has brought you to a quiet part of town and everyone is still focused on City Hall.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Quite allright GM_Chris. No worries. You at least got us to use some resources. ;)

Atol huffs up to Maavu, "Are you injured? I have healing if you need it."

Atol cures Maavu of any injury with Cure spells as needed.

"Maavu, you have annoyed someone with power. Maybe you should lay out for us exactly what you've been doing here so we can put our heads together and see what can be done to protect you. And I suggest you be thorough - don't hold anything back - your very life may depend on it!"


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant does not regard Maavu with much warmth.

"What are you doing? And were can we find Alek?"

Dyrant waits for his and Atol's questions to be answered before laying in with more.


"I'm sorry. I really am. A riot was not my intention. We just want to expose what's going on here in Cauldron. It is much harder to hide the truth when everyone is watching you."

"What is happening is unclear, but Alek said that he spoke with archons that warned of an apocolyptic event approaching. Alek is in Redgorge and I am going to return there. You can find us at the Redhead Miner's Inn. Answer 'mortar' when the innkeeper asks you about your business."

I think I've used Redgorge and Redforge. It's Redgorge.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant listens to Maavu.

"How much time do you have to talk now? Why don't you tell us what's going on in your own words? What sorts of proof do you have about the apocalypse?"

Dyrant tries to slow down his train of thought...but fails.

"And why is Alek challenging the Captain of the Guard? Does he feel that if he's in that position he can affect a change? Who's idea was it to call for the riot/meeting? Why doesn't Alek just issue and finish the challenge? He knows that the Church will support him in this matter, after all it is a legal challenge, but shouldn't he talk with Jenya first?"

Dyrant looks again at Maavu, wanting answers.

"And that creature...who sent it? What enemies in Cauldron have the ability to summon something like that?"


"Alek did not provide any details about the apocalypse if they were given to him by the archons.I've heard they can be kind of cryptic.."

"Alek is challenging because he is one of the few who has the right. Not many direct descendants of the original founders--especially not those with any skills at combat. As for clearing it with his church, I don't know about such things. It's not really a church matter. This has to do with his citizenship in Cauldron."

"The challenge has been issued, but the mayor has not responded. The rally was to draw attention to the problem and get the mayor or Skellerang to respond."

"Who sent the creature? How should I know? I'd accuse Skellerang or the mayor, but neither of them having any arcane talents of which I'm aware. I'm not aware who would have such power. Surely some of the mages at the college. Probably some of the more powerful members of the various churches, too."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Toffitt strides up after the horrific, horrific fire air evil fear elemental flies off. He listens to Maavu and nods. "No doubt there's a great evil at work here. Although I'm loathe to leave the city in the hands of hapless mercenaries, Redgorge seems like a wise destination for us."

"Maavu, we have been tracking a number of common threads among recent threats. First, in Jhazidrune we encountered a dread beholder, who was in league with slavers kidnapping citizens of Cauldron. We rescued a boy marked with this symbol." Toffitt uses a rock to scratch the eye and arrow symbol on a cobblestone. "We have found the same invisible mark on others, as well."

"More recently, while contending with a settlement of kuo-toa, we heard reference to a 'Smoking Eye,' which fed divinations to the kuo-toa's leader."

"And now, this infernal fire entity and civil unrest in Cauldron, as well as a resurgence of kidnappings... Does any of this raise any thoughts for you?"


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

As the others circle around Maavu, Glimmil listens for clues to the next heroic calling for the Cauldron Five.

"The smoking eye... hey! That big eye-monster, maybe he's the smoking eye? I don't remember him smoking. Maybe he smokes as a hobby? I used to have a great uncle who smoked a lot, old gran wasn't too fond of the smell..." Glimmil digresses, as usual.

Regaining his train of thoughts, Glimmil considers similar heroic tales he's read in his never-ending youth.

"Maybe all these kidnappings mean all these do-badders are looking for someone in particular? Maybe like a destined child or something in some old evil do-badder prophecy. Or, maybe it's like a big tournament between the super-do-badders, who can find the right person first? I remembered something or other like this, about an evil wizard looking for a child who was like a half-devil or something. There were a bunch of heroes that unraveled the mystery, and they even had a gnome among them! And there was this thief, and he ended up being a bad guy, which you'd kind of expect from a thief, since he's a thief and all... and they had this dark-skinned elf girl, and and--"

Glimmil continues on excitedly to himself for quite some time recounting strange bits of the story.

BG2 for the win.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class
GM_Chris wrote:
"Alek did not provide any details about the apocalypse if they were given to him by the archons.I've heard they can be kind of cryptic.."

Dyrant acknowledges the truth of Maavu's words.

"I beg to ask again...but why does Alek want control of the guard? To what end does he seek? What would he do? Arrest the Mayor? Arrest Vhalantru? With what evidence? If he had the evidence, why not supply it now?"


"We have no evidence, which is evidence itself, but within control of the guard we can at least keep them from being used against the citizenry."


"Doctor Toffitt, the history--or legend--of this region is that it was home to devils and demons and even stranger creatures before the humans and other civilized races settled the area. Considering what has lurked right beneath our owns streets, I would not be surprise if there are remnants of evil all around us. Perhaps they have grown in power as we forgot them and our duty. Perhaps something has been unlocked and freed. Perhaps someone searches out to rally the remnants. Perhaps someone has found artificats of great power. There are so many possibilities. Let us talk with Alek and maybe his archons have given him more guidance."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Guard guard guard, guard the civilians.

Squirrel!


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant nods with Maavu, trying to find common ground.

"We agree that the lawful challenge must be allowed. However, what is puzzling me is that the Mayor and Lord Vhalantru were quite insistent that Alek was on the verge of making accusations and allegations. And they are loathe to acknowledge Alek's right of trial. That is foolhardy...and then they wonder why the citizens revolt and show unrest!? It's because they are not following the laws! I COULD CUDGEL THEM FOR THEIR STUPIDITY!"

Dyrant works up a righteous anger.

"See, Atol!? SEE!? This is why we must adhere to St. Cuthbert's teachings in deed and action and why the Cudgel must be a tool for learning and enforcement. This Mayor and his Lord friend are not following the law...and now we have riots, unnecessary taxation, and unrest. That is the core problem...they are dis-subservient to the Cudgel. They are not worthy to lead if they cannot follow the law."

Dyrant clenches his fists.

"We should make another appointment with the Mayor and insist that he allow for proper challenge. Furthermore, we should rally the Church to lend its voice this process...for Jenya, surely, will see St. Cuthbert's way in all this."

"I don't know what all this has to do with demons and devils and floating smoking eyes, I do know that the unrest is, at least, mostly created by the folly of the Mayor rather than external forces...unless those same forces are the ones causing the Mayor to be foolish."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Atol is uncomfortable at all this talk of poor leaders.

"Shall we not travel to the Paladin and question him first? I'd like to know why he didn't talk to High Priestess Jenya first. And I'd like to know what evidence he has for all this. Seems to me that both sides are acting rashly. We talked to the mayor, now let's visit Redgorge."

"Right?"

Atol looks confused and uncertain.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

"I like paladins," Glimmil offers cheerfully.

I can't wait to meet Alek. Maybe he's not like Dyrant and angry all the time. We can swap stories and strategies. Like which side of a sword is sharper. Hook or hammer?

"Are we sure Cauldron will be safe if we go to Redgorge? Couldn't we also send a note to this paladin to meet us just outside of town?"


Maavu offers, "I can pass along your request to Alek. He is not a wanted man in Cauldron, yet, so should be able to travel to see you."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"Agreed. Let us speak to Alek. We cannot properly defend the city until its civil rift is mended."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant looks at Maavu.

"Will you bring Alek to us? To Jenya? We can discuss so much more with the full backing of the Cuthbertine Church. The Mayor would need to obey tradition...and the people could rest knowing that law and order take precedence in Cauldron."


"I don't feel safe in the town with the guards shooting at me, but I will send Alek to see Jenya. It will take a few days for me to get to Redgorge and Alek to get here though."

Assuming there is nothing else discussed, Maavu will drink his potion of gaesous form and slip away.

For no particular reason, what are people doing for the next couple hours, and where will you be sleeping tonight?


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Atol will stop by the Church gardens and see if Jenya is available. If so, he'll inform her of what happened in the square and the conversation with Maavu - paying special attention to the fact that Alek is in Redgorge and coming to visit her.

He'll then tend his own garden at the house. After a large and satisfying dinner, he'll turn in there and sleep the night.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

"I shall accompany you out of town, Maavu. I should like to see to your safety until you are here."

Dyrant and Aralynn will accompany Maavu to a safe distance outside the Cauldron walls, then return.

* * *

That night, Dyrant will begin to pen fiery and angry sermons about the Mayor's refusal to honor tradition, the People's rights to accountable government, and how disappointed St. Cuthbert would be in the lack of order and process in Cauldron.

Reams and reams of inflammatory and totally Cuthbertine text will emerge designed around a single thought: that the Mayor should honor the Law of Peers and that his refusal to do so is what is causing the unrest in Cauldron.

Every once in a while, Dyrant will take a break from writing to stretch his legs...going to the stairwell to yell down arguments and fury as he keeps his anger up.

"Hey Atol! How many Cudgels each should we deliver upon the Mayor until he earns his repentence? Six!? EIGHT!? It's eight isn't it, Atol?! Eight cudgels for his foolishness!"

8,401 to 8,450 of 13,749 << first < prev | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.