Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris

Game Master Chris Shannon 719

This will be the Shackled City adventure path using the Pathfinder rule set. However, the existing deities (i.e. St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Wee Jas) will not be converted to similar Golarion gods.


8,351 to 8,400 of 13,316 << first < prev | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | next > last >>

Stats:
F13:R15:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 14 - Cudgeler of the South Winds

Dyrant nods at Finn's request.

"Of course. I should return the favor. I have 2000gp or so. Take it if it will help. We may be needing your sword arm in the near future."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

Toffitt nods at Geleth's words, "I am afraid it remains an open question whether the Lord Mayor will allow a challenge under the Law of Peerage. If he and Skellerang were to refuse, would you not require some force of arms to shed such blood? Or do you mean for citizens to take up the pitchfork and whiskey bottle?"

Toffitt waits for her answer, listening for any hidden meaning in her words. He then continues. "Well, perhaps we can arrange a meeting with Maavu, either here in the city or safely outside the guard's territory. Perhaps my comrades and I can be of some help in brokering a peaceful resolution—assuming that Maavu has some other end in mind, beyond sacking Skellerang. Would you mind making such a proposal to him?"

Sense Motive if you require further checks: 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 32. Note that Toffitt's words are sincere, although he is clearly avoiding commitments on one side or the other.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

Later, Toffitt responds to Finneas, "I have but a few hundred gold remaining in my coffers, Finneas. Alas, the city has also taken equipment for my clinic, leaving me stretched a bit thin..." And Carts is thinking of returning to the cabaret... Sigh...


Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:
Toffitt nods at Geleth's words, "Or do you mean for citizens to take up the pitchfork and whiskey bottle?"

"If he doesn't allow the challenge, it will only work in our favor. I don't think we have many pitchforks around here and I think there are other options to be explored before wasting precious bottles of whiskey."

"I will ensure your message gets to Maavu."

Toffitt is satisfied that Geleth will pass on his concerns.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Glimmil gulps nervously as Ellywinkle prepares for a response for her affections, but the gnome (cleverly?) guides Cog to leap onto the gnomess and shower her with affection in the form of repeated licking.

"Cog! Hey now!" he nervously laughs, but secretly relieved, as undoubtedly Skie is watching him on a crystal ball somewhere.

"Well that's good. I have many ideas for New Jzadirune. We must form our own merchant council of gnomes I know the big one is this Chisel. Maybe we can call ourselves something clever like that too!"

Glimmil continues to poke around and see if he can find anyone from the Chisel who will meet with him and the others of the Cauldron Five.

Diplomacy (to gather info on The Chisel): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


Glimmil is unsure whether Ellywinkle is laughing or sobbing when Cog finishes giving Ellywinkle kisses. She wipes away Cog's slobber or her own tears and then is her bouncy self again.

"Yes. We could call it the Spoon. You love spoons don't you? They use spoons everywhere. In restaurants, in houses, in bakeries, in, in, in. Well, they don't uses chisels everywhere."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

Toffitt convenes latere with the other Cauldron four. "Well... A most interesting conversation. On the one hand, Geleth claims that the Chisel is not mustering forces in the Redforge, but rather business partners and barristers. On the other, she implies violent consequences should Skellerang not follow the Law of Peers."

"Her other claims are even more interesting, though. I am inclined to believe them. Despite Vhalantru's claim that he seeks to rebuild the city, Geleth has seen no evidence of materials purchased nor builders contracted. She claims that the mercenary forces could make up but a fraction of the increased tax revenue."

"Perhaps it is time to investigate Vhalantru more deeply. Though there's also the matter of your rather renegade paladin."


Glimmil wrote:
Diplomacy (to gather info on The Chisel): 1d20+7

As charming as many people find Glimmil, no one is willing to share anything else about the Chisel with him.


Stats:
F13:R15:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 14 - Cudgeler of the South Winds
GM_Chris wrote:
"If you come across him, please inquire about the situation and express my desire to meet with him."

Dyrant thanks Jenya for her time, seeing no further immediate questions and returns to home to ponder next steps.

In the afternoon, he will return to the Cusp to research more about Carceri and the tattoos, hopeful that something may come of it, but enjoying the learning for the sake of learning as well.

1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25 Know (Arcana)
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19 Know (History)
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31 Know (Nature)
1d20 + 18 ⇒ (7) + 18 = 25 Know (Planes)
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18 Know (Religion)

* * * *

At a loss here about how to find ties between Finn and other's tattoos and what they mean. Not sure where to start. Anyone have ideas?


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

What other eye type things have we encountered?


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

"The Spoon! That's an excellent idea Ellywinkle! Yes!"

Glimmil hestitates as he meets Ellywinkle's eyes, blushing and feeling nervous at his enthusiasm.

"Okay, I need to run, I need to find some Chisels!"

After coming up empty throughout the day, Glimmil regroups with the others, letting them know what he found out -- nothing.

"So, Vhalantru might be up to something? If he is, we'll surely figure it out! Maybe we should talk to the town's tax collector? Wouldn't he keep books or something about what he did with whatever he picked up? If it's in a big vault somewhere, or if he handed it out to someone besides the half-orcs?"


The next morning the party finds signs posted up all around town.

NOTICE

Citizens of Cauldron!
Let you voice be heard!

Come one, come all to City Hall this evening! Those
in power must learn that we do not welcome their
indulgences! Their vices shall be borne by our pockets
no more! The tax collectors are the lapdogs of their
greed--let not their shadows besmirch our stoops!
Speak your will! Voice your pains!

Help us return Cauldron to her children!


|| Per +17 | Fort +12 Ref +8 Will +12 | BAB +11 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/1

"Dyrant, what does...indulgence and besmirch mean?"

Finneas looks at the proclamation carefully.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +15 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

I know what we're doing tonight I guess.

"Until we know which side of this we're on, can we at least stand at the fringe and watch? I don't want us to get involved and find we're on the wrong side of things. We do have an image after all."

Atol shifts nervously.

Why is everyone so angry all of a sudden? What happened while we were gone?!


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

"What, friend Atol, is the right side of things? What do we stand for in this situation? Let that guide our response. I for one would not see mercenary attack citizen, nor citizens become a violent mob."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +15 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

"That my good doctor is exactly the point - though you do exaggerate. Neither side has done more than bluster at this point, and both sides seem unseemly in their speeches. I for one do not know who to support - and neither does my church."

"So I think we should stand by the sidelines until it becomes clearer."


Stats:
F13:R15:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 14 - Cudgeler of the South Winds

Dyrant answers Finn's question with a smile.

"Ah! Of course! Indulgence is an awful religious practice done by them followers of Zilchus! You see, when you sin against your God, you can buy forgiveness with coin! Yes! You can buy your way to forgiveness! As if money was a proper rectifier...especially when one could get beaten with a mighty cudgel! HA! Them Zilchans have a stupid pathetic illogical religion."

Dyrant muses aloud.

"'Besmirch'? Oh well, that means to dirty or sully. The word is a derivative of the word 'besmooch', which, from what I understand, is what you do to prostitutes, who, in turn, besmirches you with diseases and all sorts of uncleanities. Yep, you definitely don't want to be besmirched."

Dyrant looks at Finn.

"I hope that helps!" Dyrant asks with a smile.

* * * *

Dyrant ponders his next steps.

Yeah, might as well go preach at that gathering tonight.

Dyrant pulls out a quill and paper and begins to compose a sermon for the occasion.


|| Per +17 | Fort +12 Ref +8 Will +12 | BAB +11 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/1

"Oh, thanks! So would besmirching be the present participle or the verb form?"

Finneas grins at Dyrant while working out how to use indulgence in a sentence.


In the early evening, the party monitors the protest. The streets around City Hall are packed tight with several hundred loud citizens rallying against the recent tax increases in Cauldron. Several guards stand in a ring around the building and use the hafts of their halberds to keep people out. Presently, a small group of dignitaries, easily recognizable as the town tax collectors, make their way to the entrance The citizens boo and scream insults at the tax collectors as they scuttle in the building.

After the tax collectors go inside, Maavu emerges from the crowd and climbs a prominent dais to speak. The merchant raises a hand and the demonstrators calm down a bit. After a moment of silence, Maavu addresses the audience resolutely.

"The lord mayor has received a letter of challenge, in which the noble Alek Tercival, paladin of St. Cuthbert, challenges the captain of the town guard, Terseon Skellerang, to prove his valor in a duel according to the Old Law of Peers. This challenge has gone unanswered and not been publicized, which is itself illegal by the laws of the city and proof of the ill will the lord mayor's advisor's bear the citizens."

Maavu is a skillful orator, and the crowd becomes more and more angry as he speaks.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

"I hope you are right, Atol. Though I do not think you appreciate the extent or impact of the smallfolk's suffering."

The next morning, Toffitt prepares carefully for the protest, willing himself to keep the open mind that Atol has asked for. He's too trusting by half, but it's true that I should not borrow trouble.

He prepares his formulae in accordance with the day's expected events.

Formulae:

1st: Cure Light Wounds
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Shield – Finneas
Shield
2nd: Alchemical Allocation
Barkskin - Finneas
Invisibility
Perceive Cues - ACTIVE
3rd: Haste
Heroism - ACTIVE

As Maavu gets up to speak, he quaffs his extracts of heroism and perceive cues, carefully monitoring the crowd (+20 Perception) for trouble and ready to rush through it should any violence break out (Urban Barbarian = full speed through crowds). In particular, he observes Maavu and the guard for any sign that they mean to spark violence.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28


Stats:
F13:R15:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 14 - Cudgeler of the South Winds

Aware of the sometimes violent nature of riots, Dyrant will protect himself as they walk to the gathering.

Mage Armor. Heroism.

Dyrant looks for a ledge, wall, crenellation, or rooftop from which he can safely listen and spy from. If he finds one, he will up and perch there.

The Archon, Aralynn, will float we'll above (30') the crowds but within shouting distance of Dyrant.

"Aralynn, if there is evil nearby, I would know, immediately. And check Maavu and Alek when they are seen."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +15 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Seeing the others prepare, Atol falls in step and casts Magic Vestment on Finneas (+1 enhancement to armor or shield). He will also cast Shield Other on himself and Finneas (+1 deflection bonus to AC and a +1 resistance bonus on saves).

"Now Finneas, we must remain within 40' of each other or the spell ends. While it lasts I'll take some of your damage, so try not to get hurt too much."

Status:
Atol HP: 57/57
Angel HP: 28/28
Weapon Equipped = None
Conditions = Shield Other (Finneas)
Channel Energy Left: 8/8
Healing Touch: None
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Pearl of Power Left: first (2 of 2)
Cassock of the Clergy: Bless, Sanctuary (DC11)
Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Purify Food & Drink, Stabilize - Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1) Bless, Bless, Command, Divine Favor, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Lesser Restoration, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon
3) Prayer, Invisibility Purge, Resist Energy, Communal
4) Spell Immunity, Blessing of Fervor, Spiritual Ally

On listening to Maavu's speech it seems clear to Atol that he means to start something if he can. Too bad really. Why don't people talk to resolve their differences anymore? Sigh.


The crowds point as Aralynn flies over the crowds. There is a mixed response as some see her as support and others as another new tool of the city guard like the half-orcs.


Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:
In particular, he observes Maavu and the guard for any sign that they mean to spark violence.

He is not calling for open rebellion or any other violence, but he is definitely reving the crowd up.


More members of the city guard come out of city hall and support the skirmish line around the building.


Captain Skellerang can be seen in the rear of the lines talking with a group of town guardsmen.


Stats:
F13:R15:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 14 - Cudgeler of the South Winds

"Aralynn, can you go check what the Captain is saying?"

Aralynn will fly 10' up from the captain and listen in.

Is it okay to laugh at GM Chris doing riot prep work for this?


Actually I was eating pizza and drinking several beers. The post-tournament day soccer party was held within walking distance.

The words of the fervor-filled merchant continue to imbue the citizens with a mounting rage. The people's anger culminates when Maavu points out the fact that a group of armed half-orcs is already harassing the town: "Skellerang is feeding a band of filthy thugs a large share of our bread!" he screams. Then, wading in the crowd of people, a human watch sergeant escorted by several half-orc mercenaries approaches the dais to arrest the merchant. "You are under arrest!" Suddenly, from within the angered crowd, an unassuming youth draws a hidden dagger and screams out, "Let's kill these half-orc brigands!" As his voice is drowned out by the roar of a hundred other people, the lad lunges at the nearest half orc. In seconds, the mob erupts into a full-fledged riot.


Several of the half-orc guards drop to the ground bleeding from numerous stab wounds as the crowd closes in on them.

Initiative
Atol1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Dyrant 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Finneas 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Finneas Bonus roll 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Glimmil1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Toffitt 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Guards 1d20 ⇒ 9
Mob 1d20 ⇒ 12
Other 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Toffitt = 23
Finneas = 20
Dyrant = 14
Other 13 (moved to 13 for ease)
Mob 12
Guards 9
Glimmil = 7
Atol = 5

Toffit and anyone else who can roll a sense motive 25+ can act in the surprise round. So, we'll resolve the surprise round and then Toffitt, Finneas, and Dyrant in Round 1. Map to follow.


New Map

Just let me know where you'd like to be.

The mob is like a swarm except it can be affected by spells that target specific numbers of creatures. You can end your turn in a mob square, but will take damage on its turn. It's double movement through a mob square except for Toffitt.

The mob is currently focused on killing the human sergeant and squad of half-orcs next to Maavu.

Both roll playing and role playing (with a relevant roll) can affec the mob or overall scene.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

Toffitt starts at V27. His Init bonus is now always +6, and sometimes +8.

As he sees trouble starting to stir, Toffitt moves up and jumps onto the dais. He has no weapon in hand yet.

Acrobatics 1d20 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 15 + 2 = 31

"Maavu, it's Dr. Toffitt. Don't be alarmed."

If he's been able to act before the kid strikes:

Toffitt yells at the kid, "Drop the knife, boy. There's no need for violence here!"

He tries to get a quick read on Maavu—is the outburst of violence something he'd intended?

Sense Motive 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 + 2 = 33


Stats:
F13:R15:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 14 - Cudgeler of the South Winds

Dyrant would be on the building in U20, listening and watching.

Aralynn would be nearby.

Need to crit this to get to Sense Motive 25:

1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 2 = 25 Sense Motive

I just won Pathfinder.

In the surprise round, Dyrant will pull out a scroll (Web, Web, Glitterdust, Glitterdust).


|| Per +17 | Fort +12 Ref +8 Will +12 | BAB +11 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/1

Round 1 Init 20

Status:

HP = 69/69
AC/T/FF = 24/13/23
Weapon Equipped = None
Speed = 25' (30' unarmored)
Rage/day = 7/7
Hero Points = 2
Oracle Spells Left (CL 5, +10 melee touch, +7 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud, Levitate, Minor Image, Grace, See Invisibility
1 7/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*, Protection From Evil*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = None

"Stay by me Atol."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7

Unaware of what's going on Finneas will spend his first few actions drawing his shield and making sure nobody mistakes him for a half-orc of lesser reputation.

I assume we'd have our equipment on us yes?


I've placed the rest of the party near where Toffitt started.

Yes. You definitely have your gear.

This does not appear to have been Maavu's intention, but it does some to have been someone's intention.

The bloodshed has already. Toffitt can't intervene.

Surprise Round
Toffitt 23 - moved
Finneas - surprised
Dyrant - pulls out scroll
Glimmil - Sense motive check still needed
Atol - Sense motive check still needed.
Round 1
Toffitt = 23 - TBD
Finneas = 20 - Puts on shield. I've placed you next to mob if that changes things.
Dyrant = 14 - TBD

Other 13 (moved to 13 for ease)
Mob 12
Guards 9

Updated Map


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +15 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Sense Motive 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21 vs DC 25

Atol is as suprised as anyone when the crowd turns quickly ugly.

We seemed to be headed there, but that was awfully fast!

As for positioning, I should be next to Finneas at the start, so where you placed me is fine.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

Toffitt speaks as loudly as possible, stepping up next to Maavu. "Guards, citizens—calm yourselves!! Let not this boy's actions turn Cauldron against itself. Let us air our grievances peaceably. Maavu, call them off."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 12 + 2 = 27

While he speaks, Toffitt searches for the boy in the crowd and tries to track his movements.

Perception 1d20 + 13 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 13 + 2 + 5 = 21


Stats:
F13:R15:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 14 - Cudgeler of the South Winds

Round 1, Init 14

Dyrant *facepalms* as the riot turns riotous.

Gah! Shouldn't the guard be aware that a violent face would beget violence in return? Was there no one planning extensively for this well-announced riot response?

Dyrant shakes his head as the blood is spilled.

This Captain deserves to be replaced. He *is* incompetent.

Dyrant begs Aralynn again for use of her wings. Cast Fly.

Dyrant floats above Maavu (20' up) and calls Aralynn to him.

I don't know what to do. Perhaps moving the object of the Guard's ire will dampen the fire of the crowd.

"Aralynn, is there evil here? Strong evil? Find the strongest scent!"

Aralynn, who as already scanning of evil, will continue to refine she search.


1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6 Glimmil sense motive

Aralynn finds no evil about.

The mob engulfs the sergant and the orcs. The sergeant tries to hit the townspeople with the butt of his halberd, but the orcs are not so kind. The mob shows no quarter either and soon all four half-orcs are unconscious on the ground. The watch sergeant tries to drink a potion, provoking from the crowd around him, and is beaten unconscious before he can drink it. The rest of the guards use a mixture of yelling and pushing with their halberds to little affect. In the windows of town hall, guardsmen with crossbows can be seen getting ready.

Maavu casts a spell and tries talking to the crowd, but they don't listen to him. Full round of diplomacy required to affect the mob.

Spellcraft DC 16:
Shield

Toffitt tries to keep an eye on the initial attackers, but they blend into the mob.

rolls:

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 4 = 19 non-lethal
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 - 40 damage total

5d6 ⇒ (1, 6, 4, 3, 2) = 16 - mob

The book calls for 8 attacks of opportunity, but the logic doesn't work for me so just one.
1d20 + 22 ⇒ (6) + 22 = 28
5d6 ⇒ (1, 2, 2, 6, 6) = 17

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22 stealth for attackers with daggers

Round 1
Glimmil = 7
Atol = 5
Round 2
Toffitt = 23
Finneas = 20
Dyrant = 14
Other 13
Mob 12
Guards 9

New Map


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

Just to be clear, Toffitt did a full round of Diplomacy round one.


my map is probably not completely accurate, but there are 30 squares of mob. Toffitt calms 4 of the 30 squares of the mob. The amount of time they stay calm is unknown to you.


Updated Map

To scale. Less mob and less guards. Calmed squares are in orange. The mob won't damage unconscious people (because it's my world).


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Round 1

"Wha--? Why don't they just obey their laws, no matter how old they might be?"

Glimmil confused, but not wanting to see violence, begins waving his arms and hollering to the nearest members of the crowd.

"Please! Be calm! Nobody hurt anybody! We can settle this peacefully! Go home tonight!"

Diplomacy (full round action to calm the crowd nearest to the Cauldron Five): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


|| Per +17 | Fort +12 Ref +8 Will +12 | BAB +11 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/1

Round 2 Init 20

Status:

HP = 69/69
AC/T/FF = 25/13/24
Weapon Equipped = None
Speed = 25' (30' unarmored)
Rage/day = 7/7
Hero Points = 2
Oracle Spells Left (CL 5, +10 melee touch, +7 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud, Levitate, Minor Image, Grace, See Invisibility
1 7/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*, Protection From Evil*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Magic Vestment, Shield Other

Not sure exactly what's going on Finneas concentrates on defending himself from any stray fists and rocks.

Total Defense. AC 29 or 17 touch.


Glimmil thinks the crowd didn't hear him, until he gets a response of a rotten banana thrown his way.


Stats:
F13:R15:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 14 - Cudgeler of the South Winds

Round 2, Init 14

Dyrant hesitates, unsure what side of the riot to be on...or what the right response would be if he could choose a side.

What kind of riot uses knives? If they just used cudgels to beat each other senseless, we'd call this a proper sermon or good revival.

Dyrant delays indecisively.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +15 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 1, Initiative 5, Location U27->U26

Status:
Atol HP: 57/57
Angel HP: 28/28
Weapon Equipped = None
Conditions =
Channel Energy Left: 8/8
Healing Touch: None
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Pearl of Power Left: first (2 of 2)
Cassock of the Clergy: Bless, Sanctuary (DC11)
Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Purify Food & Drink, Stabilize - Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1) Bless, Bless, Command, Divine Favor, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Lesser Restoration, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon
3) Prayer, Invisibility Purge, Resist Energy, Communal
4) Spell Immunity, Blessing of Fervor, Spiritual Ally

Atol steps closer to the mob, and tries to calm it down. "Good people of Cauldron, there is no need to resort to violence here! Just because some hot head pulled a knife is no reason for us all to grab for weapons!"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

In Celestial:
"Finneas, I need to get to those wounded so they don't die. We don't want blood on the streets - and we certainly don't want death!"

Dyrant can calm this crowd. He just needs to give one of his excellent speeches!


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

Round 2, Init 24 {X21}

Toffitt continues to press the crowd for peace, focusing his pleas in particular on the mob and guards in front of him (W19:X20). "My people, let not ire at the unfortunate heroes tax lead you to violence. Let us sue for peace, and for the Lord Mayor's ear. And you Sasseriners, for your own safety, stand down and withdraw! Withdraw!"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 12 + 2 = 31
Spellcraft @ Maavu 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 10 + 2 = 13


Maavu casts another spell and pulls out a potion. "They are beyond my skills to control, it is best we get out before we're overrun like the guards."

The mob towards city hall by five feet and engulfs the guards, but not without great cost. The guards defend themselves and leave several dead or dying. A citizen's head is kicked out of the pile. Shocked by all the blood, the mob does minimal damage to the guards who hold their ground to protect City Hall.

On their turn the guards cut down several more people before the mob disperses and runs off in all directions.

From the windows, the longbows not crossbows are fired at Maavu, but all of them miss.

Aralynn senses evil has entered the area.

rolls:

5d6 ⇒ (1, 2, 4, 3, 1) = 11 - mob damage

1d20 ⇒ 19 - guard AoO's
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
1d20 ⇒ 15
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
1d20 ⇒ 11 confirmed crit
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 (83 total damage plus 40 last time = 123)

1d20 ⇒ 19 - guard attacks
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
1d20 ⇒ 8
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
1d20 ⇒ 14
1d10 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
(= lots of dead citizens)

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 longbows
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Maavu's spell Spellcraft DC 16:
Expeditious Retreat

1d8 ⇒ 7 mob movement

Round 1
Glimmil = 7 - Failed diplomacy
Atol = 5 - failed diplomacy
Round 2
Toffitt = 23 - successful diplomacy, but the first one wears off. Keeping same 4 squares of calm people.
Finneas = 20 - Total Defense
Dyrant = 14 - Delay
Other 13
Mob 12
Guards 9

Party up
Round 2
Glimmil = 7
Atol = 5
Round 3
Toffitt = 23
Finneas = 20
Dyrant = 14
Other 13
Mob 12
Guards 9

No new map. My son has that computer. Just ignore the mob squares.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 13
Stats:
Init +12 | Per +27* | F +14* R +14* W +10* | AC 34* (t18* f32* i20*) +1 crwd | CMD 30 | see status please

Round 3, Init 24

Toffitt drinks his mutagen and draws his sap. "I'll not have you run into the shadows, Maavu. Those dying people there are, in part, your responsibility. You've an obligation..."

Status:

Active effects/conditions none

Init +8 Perception +19 Sense Motive +18
AC 24 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed; uncanny dodge; +1 dodge for crowd control)
CMB +9 CMD 23
HP 55/55
Fort +9 Reflex +12 Will +7 (+2 v. enchant)
Weapon Equipped Sap
Shield Equipped none
Mutagen ACTIVE (+4 Dex, +2 AC, -2 Wis, 50 minute duration)
Elixirs
1 Shield (Finneas)
- Shield
- Cure light wounds
- Expeditious retreat
- open
2 Alchemical allocation
- Alchemical allocation
- Barkskin (Finneas)
- open
3 Haste
- Heroism ACTIVE
Controlled Rage 0 of 5 rounds used
Healing touch 0hp of 35hp used
Slippers of spider climbing 0 of 10 min. used (1)
Wand of Shield 25 charges
Wand of See Invisibility 10 charges


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Round 2 Init 7

Uncertain how to best help the fallen citizens and guards, Glimmil scans the area for an evil do-badder behind the riots. Finding none, he rushes to the area with the highest concentration of incapacitated citizens and prays to Garl for help.

Not sure where Cog would take him, he'll favor healing any woman or child injured first.

Channel Energy: 3d6 ⇒ (2, 2, 4) = 8

8,351 to 8,400 of 13,316 << first < prev | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.