Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris

Game Master Chris Shannon 719

This will be the Shackled City adventure path using the Pathfinder rule set. However, the existing deities (i.e. St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Wee Jas) will not be converted to similar Golarion gods.


6,151 to 6,200 of 13,586 << first < prev | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | next > last >>

Toffitt will need to ignore the following for his surprise round.

As Toffit reacts to the rumble the corner of one of Maavu's warehouses collapses as an enormous bipedal insect creature crawls up out of the ground. It's gigantic claws knock the roof away as it reaches for the sky. It's scythe size mandibles clack quickly against each other.

Big Bug


knowledge planes 24:
Fiendish Umber Hulk

To speed things along, those within 30' are subject to the bug's confusing gaze attack. Will save DC 15. See gaze rules below for ways to avert/minimize the chances.

Averting Eyes:
The opponent avoids looking at the creature's face, instead looking at its body, watching its shadow, tracking it in a reflective surface, etc. Each round, the opponent has a 50% chance to avoid having to make a saving throw against the gaze attack. The creature with the gaze attack, however, gains concealment (20% miss chance) against that opponent.

Closing eyes/wearing a blindfold:
The foe cannot see the creature at all (also possible to achieve by turning one's back on the creature or shutting one's eyes). The creature with the gaze attack gains total concealment against the opponent.

If you fail your save, go ahead and roll a d100 and act appropriately.
01–25 Act normally
26–50 Do nothing but babble incoherently
51–75 Deal 1d8 points of damage + Str modifier to self with item in hand
76–100 Attack nearest creature (for this purpose, a familiar counts as part of the subject's self)


Surprise Round
Toffitt = 10 - TBD
Bug =2 - Emerges
Round 1
Dyrant = 28
Finneas = 24
Glimmil = 23
Atol = 19
Toffitt = 10
Bug = 2
Crowds = 0

C1, C2, and C3 are crowds/mobs/swarms of people. They count as difficult terrain and will damage you if you are among them on their turn.

New Map
Yellow is collapsed building. Difficult terrain.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Round 1, Init 28

Dyrant spins and turns to Atol.

"ATOL! Really?! We *JUST* ate! Must your belly rumble..." Dyrant's voice tapers off as he realizes that Atol's belly is not the source of the loud rumbling (this time).

Hearing the voices and commotion, Dyrant turns his head, murmuring apologies to Atol.

"What is that?!" Dyrant says as he sees the beast.

1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 1 = 11 Know Planes

"It reminds me a bit of you, Finn, but I don't recognize it."

And I don't like the looks of it.

Dyrant casts Heroism on Finneas and pulls out a scroll (Mage Armor).

+2 to attacks, saves, and skill checks for 50 minutes.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Surprise Round

Dr. Toffitt reacts instinctively, drinking his curative draught and drawing his blade in a flash.

It's only after the tonic is working its way through his system that he realizes what he's done—allowed the beast within to peak out (although just a bit) in public. His eyes take on their feral cast, and he instantly becomes more hirsute.

Oh dear. Let's hope I haven't just frightened away all of my patients.

Status:

AC 22
HP 37/37
Fort +8 Reflex +10 Will +2
Weapon Equipped Dueling Blade (+11 to hit, 1d8+2 dam, 2d6 sneak)
Shield Equipped none
Mutagen ACTIVE (+4 Dex, +2 AC, -2 Wis, 40 minute duration)
Controlled Rage 5 of 5 rounds used
Spontaneous healing 0hp of 10hp used
Elixirs
1 Cure light wounds
- Deathwatch
- empty slot
- empty slot
2 Alchemical allocation
- empty slot
Wand of Shield 39 charges

Chris, how would you say my urban barbarian ability works in conjunction with whatever modified mob rules you're using? Toffitt is supposed to be able to navigate crowds at full speed. Not sure if there would be an effect on mob damage v3.5 style.


Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:
Chris, how would you say my urban barbarian ability works in conjunction with whatever modified mob rules you're using? Toffitt is supposed to be able to navigate crowds at full speed. Not sure if there would be affect on mob damage.

Aha. Found the crowd rules. Yes. You could go through them, but you'd take damage if you're there on their turn. They're not just crowds, they're panicked mobs.

Crowd:
Urban streets are often full of people going about their daily lives. In most cases, it isn't necessary to put every 1st-level commoner on the map when a fight breaks out on the city's main thoroughfare. Instead, just indicate which squares on the map contain crowds. If crowds see something obviously dangerous, they'll move away at 30 feet per round at initiative count 0. It takes 2 squares of movement to enter a square with crowds. The crowds provide cover for anyone who does so, enabling a Stealth check and providing a bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves.

Directing Crowds: It takes a DC 15 Diplomacy check or DC 20 Intimidate check to convince a crowd to move in a particular direction, and the crowd must be able to hear or see the character making the attempt. It takes a full-round action to make the Diplomacy check, but only a free action to make the Intimidate check.

If two or more characters are trying to direct a crowd in different directions, they make opposed Diplomacy or Intimidate checks to determine to whom the crowd listens. The crowd ignores everyone if none of the characters' check results beat the DCs given above.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 1, Initiative 19, Location U13->X14

Status:
AC: 10 CMD: 13 HP: 32/32
Weapon Equipped = Cudgel
Conditions = None
Channel Energy Left: 7/7
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Cleric Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Stabilize
1) Bless, Bless, Command, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Lesser Restoration
3) Magic Vestment, Prayer, Cure Disease

Atol is momentarily stunned by the site of such a creature among the helpless citizens. He moves to the edge of the first crowd taking out his cudgel as he does so. Then he casts Bless. (50' burst so if the quicker among the party are too far away they do not get the benefit.)

"Please, people, run this way - get out of the reach of that creature! We'll see what we can do to take care of it! Now go and may the blessings of St. Cuthbert bet upon you as they are upon us all!"

Bugs always do seem to come up more when it rains. Perhaps this is the result of the wands lowering the water. It has to go somewhere, doesn't it?


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Round 1 Init 24

Status:

HP = 39/39
AC = 11/11/10
Weapon Equipped = Cold Iron Greatsword +1
Speed = 30'
Rage/day = 5/5
Oracle Spells Left (CL 4, +8 melee touch, +5 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud
1 7/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Heroism, Bless

"What the..."

Finneas stares at the creature before calling up Kord's divine power to shield him.

Shield of Faith

K. Planes: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

"I don't know what it is."

With that he moves forward while drawing his sword.

Let's see how it does now.

Move 30' to AB16


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Round 1, Init 10

Toffitt focuses on the crowd for now, trying to get them to flee in an orderly manner. "Please, everyone, move quickly but calmly along the south side of the street. We, the Cauldron Five, will protect you!"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Not sure if this counts as 'averted eyes.' He's not really trying to avert his eyes, though.

He then moves through the crowd to AB13.

Will save if and when necessary 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 + 2 for enchantment/charm effects this round. Gah.


Round 1 so far
Dyrant (Bless) = 28 - Heroism on Finneas. Pulls out mage armor scroll
Finneas (Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith) = 24 - Shield of faith; move & draw sword
Glimmil (Bless) = 23 - TBD
Atol (Bless) = 19 - Bless & move
Toffitt (Bless) = 10 - Diplomacy & move Confused next round. Did not follow my instructions so gets an automatic 51 and attacks self. Just kidding 1d100 ⇒ 93. Actually it appears in Round 2 you will attack nearest creature. I'll take care of it along with the bug so people will have moved. Sit back and relax.
Bug = 2
Crowds = 0

Round 2 to follow and Glimmil can catch up.


The party quickly prepares for battle as Toffitt tries to control the crowds. The group at the auction house (C1) calms down and flees away without trampling each other or the party. The group by the butcher also moves away but not as quickly or organized. A few people are knocked to the ground but get up as soon as the mob passes them by.

1d20 ⇒ 6
1d100 ⇒ 92
Things are not going well for the last group though where people don't know which way to flee from the monster next to them. They push each other to the ground, bash each other with whatever is in their hands, and even stab each other with their eating knives or other weapons on hand. Blood quickly splatters over the street and the citizens. More than one person drops to the ground. Finneas recognizes some of the children from the orphanage that had been watching the puppet show.

The monster ignores the crowd and turns to the warehouse. It tears down the side of the warehouse with it claws and its mandibles and rubble fills the streets.

Behind the puppet tent, the party notices the local fruit cart merchant, Beppo, trying to move his cart away from the destruciton. He appears to have his eyes closed, but is moving very slowly away from the monster and crowd (5' per round).

New Map
Yellow is rubble filled difficult terrain.

Party up for Round 2.
Glimmil twice.
Toffit GM controlled this round.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 2, Initiative 19, Location X14->AD15

Status:
AC: 10 CMD: 13 HP: 32/32
Weapon Equipped = Cudgel
Conditions = Blessed
Channel Energy Left: 7/7
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Cleric Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Stabilize
1) Bless, Command, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Lesser Restoration
3) Magic Vestment, Prayer, Cure Disease

Atol rushes up to the crowd and tries to help them. Seeing Dr. Toffit reacting strangely, he avoids looking at the creature at all (averts his gaze)...

1d100 ⇒ 44 where 1-50 means I avoid the save (will 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29 vs DC 15 just in case I'm doing it wrong).

Seeing the injuries in the crowd, he's unsure what to do.

A preacher would calm them down and prevent further bloodshed. An adventurer would cure those who have fallen. What to do?! Calm down, what would Dyrant do?

Atol decides to preach! He yells to be heard over the warehouse destruction.

"Everybody calm down and move in an orderly fashion out of the way! Quickly now, make for the silkmongers shop down the alley and you'll be safe!"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 vs DC 15 to try to direct the remaining crowd.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Round 1

Glimmil rubs his eyes as he observes the strange Bug-Man in the distance, but quickly realizes the opportunity to once against rise to heroic deed-doing.

"Cog! To battle we go!" he calls, working up his best booming gnome-voice.

Move action to Cog, then attempt to swift mount...

Swift Mount (Ride DC20): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Swift mount fails, a second move action to climb onto his mount.

Round 2

Glimmmil begins riding off atop Cog, unstrapping the lance as he moves - he rides wide around the crowd in front of the heroes, setting up his courageous charge into the strange monster.

"People! Have no fear, the Cauldron Five is here!" Glimmil boasts, unaware he just rhymed.

Double move to AB,14 around the crowd. Then activate Smite Evil as a swift action.

Glimmil has no idea to avert his eyes, so here's his Will save.

Will Save DC15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Atol Lem wrote:
1d100 where 1-50 means I avoid the save (will 1d20+11 vs DC 15 just in case I'm doing it wrong).

I usually go high is good, but you made the will save anyway.


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Round 2 Init 24

Status:

HP = 39/39
AC = 13/13/12
Weapon Equipped = Cold Iron Greatsword +1
Speed = 30'
Rage/day = 5/5
Oracle Spells Left (CL 4, +8 melee touch, +5 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud
1 6/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith

Finneas closes his eyes and begins to chant another blessing.

This is how I died before, nobody is dead yet so I've got some time.

Begin casting Enlarge Person.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Really need that Iron Will...


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

From D20PFSRD.com

Gaze (Su)

A gaze attack takes effect when foes look at the attacking creature’s eyes. The attack can have any sort of effect; petrification, death, and charm are common. The typical range is 30 feet. The type of saving throw for a gaze attack is usually a Will or Fortitude save (DC 10 + the 1/2 gazing creature’s racial HD + the gazing creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s text). A successful saving throw negates the effect. A monster’s gaze attack is described in abbreviated form in its description. Each opponent within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw each round at the beginning of his or her turn in the initiative order. Opponents can avoid the need to make the saving throw by not looking at the creature, in one of two ways.

Averting Eyes: The opponent avoids looking at the creature’s face, instead looking at its body, watching its shadow, tracking it in a reflective surface, etc. Each round, the opponent has a 50% chance to avoid having to make a saving throw against the gaze attack. The creature with the gaze attack, however, gains concealment against that opponent.

Wearing a Blindfold: The foe cannot see the creature at all (also possible to achieve by turning one’s back on the creature or shutting one’s eyes) and does not have to make saving throws against the gaze. However, the creature with the gaze attack gains total concealment against the opponent.

A creature with a gaze attack can actively gaze as an attack action by choosing a target within range. That opponent must attempt a saving throw but can try to avoid this as described above. Thus, it is possible for an opponent to save against a creature’s gaze twice during the same round, once before the opponent’s action and once during the creature’s turn.

Gaze attacks can affect ethereal opponents. A creature is immune to the gaze attacks of others of its kind unless otherwise noted. Allies of a creature with a gaze attack might be affected; these allies are considered to be averting their eyes from the creature with the gaze attack, and have a 50% chance to not need to make a saving throw against the gaze attack each round. The creature can also veil its eyes, thus negating its gaze ability.


Round 2
Dyrant (Bless) = 28 - Mage armor and moves closer (per text)
Finneas (Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith) = 24 - Enlarge
Glimmil (Bless) = 23 - move, pull out lance
Atol (Bless) = 19 - diplomacy
Toffitt (Bless) = 10 - Attacks 1d2 ⇒ 1 Cog
Bug = 2
Crowds = 0

Toffitt turns his feral eyes on Cog and stabs him with his dueling blade.
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

The monster appears almost gleeful as it continues to move along the side of the warehouse while it rips it apart.

Atol's valiant words are wasted on the group by the puppet tent as they continue to be confused. The people stop attacking each other and begin to hurt themselves. Children bash rocks against their own heads while adults dive their knives into their stomachs. The puppetter stabs himself in the eye with a puppet's sword. Several people collapse from their injuries.
1d100 ⇒ 73

The other two groups of citizens run out of sight while two groups of the City Watch run down Magama Avenue. One group comes from each direction. They have their swords drawn and appear ready to catch the monster in a flank.

In round 3 Toffit will babble incoherently about why he stabbed Cog.
1d100 ⇒ 50

Party is up for Round 3
Dyrant (Bless) = 28 -
Finneas (Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith) = 24 -
Glimmil (Bless) = 23 -
Atol (Bless) = 19 -
Toffitt (Bless) = 10 -
Bug = 2
Crowds = 0

New Map


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Not sure if Cog would be susceptible to sneak attack in this case... If he didn't hate Toffitt before...

"Don't look at me like that... Stop it, you mangy. *Hiss* BAD dog! *MROWR!*"


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 3, Initiative 19, Location AD15

Status:
AC: 10 CMD: 13 HP: 32/32
Weapon Equipped = Cudgel
Conditions = Blessed
Channel Energy Left: 7/7
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Cleric Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Stabilize
1) Bless, Command, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Lesser Restoration
3) Magic Vestment, Prayer, Cure Disease

Remember the crowd is also blessed - Atol would have considered them friendly; so +1 to hit themselves and each other...

Atol stands horrified for a moment and weeps as the crowd tears itself apart. Gathering what wits he has at his disposal, he channels energy to heal them, and Cog, selectively removing the creature (not that he's taken any damage yet).

Atol channels energy for 3d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 6) = 15 worth of healing to try and save some lives.

"People please! Look at yourselves! By Cuthbert stop this madness immediately!"

Do I need to save each round I'm within range of the gaze attack? Also, is the gaze a charm/compulsion effect (I have a bonus vs those)? Just in case I do...
1d100 ⇒ 8 vs DC 50 to avoid the gaze. Willpower 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17 vs DC 15 to avoid the crazy.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Ride Check (vs DC24 to avoid Toffitt stabbing Cog): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

"Hey hey! Doctor, what ARE you doing?!" Glimmil exclaims, almost panicked as he witnesses Toffitt stab at Cog. He looks around pleadingly towards Dyrant and Atol as if either of the priests might know what has gotten into the doctor.

"Dyrant! Something's wrong with the doctor!" Glimmil shouts, as his slow mind begins to process all the other people hurting themselves or those standing nearby.

Why?? It MUST be that bug-eyed monster!

Seeing his path lined up, Glimmil lowers his visor and commands Cog to charge at the monstrosity.

"ChaaAAaarge!"

Darn, I apparently forgot to buy that masterwork lance I wanted... well to compensate, Glimmil issues his cavalier's challenge as a swift action.

Attack (lance, bless, mounted charge, power attack, smite, challenge): 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 3 = 24 for 2d6 + 12 + 2 + 6 ⇒ (3, 3) + 12 + 2 + 6 = 26 damage*

*If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature add +6 more damage from the smite.

If only Skie were here to see!

Status:

Glimmil Status:
HP: 52/52
AC 25 (24 base -2 charge +3 smite)
Spells: 1) Challenge Evil [ ]
Smite Left: 1/2
Lay Hands Left: 2/4

Cog Status:
HP 31/35
AC 23


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Round 3 Init 24

Status:

HP = 49/49
AC = 9/9/8
Weapon Equipped = Cold Iron Greatsword +1
Speed = 30'
Rage/day = 5/5
Oracle Spells Left (CL 4, +8 melee touch, +5 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud
1 5/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith, Enlarged, Raging

Better let Glimmil through, he's got a clear shot.

Finneas will delay until after Glimmil has charged and then move to strike the creature. I'm not sure if he can charge through friendlies or I'd just move and assume he charges through my legs.

Finneas moves up, calling upon the rage of his ancestors as he swings at the creature with eyes averted.

Cold Iron Greatsword +1 Power Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 283d6 + 16 ⇒ (5, 6, 4) + 16 = 31
Avoid Save High Good: 1d100 ⇒ 42
Will Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Creature Conceal: 1d100 ⇒ 9

Well...I failed in every way that mattered.

Female voice: Perhaps your father was actually that nice elven woman I met just before the orc.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

I'm hoping I don't need a Will save every round since Glimmil stared the creature in the eyes last round. Just in case I do, here's a roll for this round...

Will Save DC15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Either way, let me know if I should post a save every round (or start averting staring at the creature, although I tend to think Glimmil would keep his eyes locked with the Bug-Man and somehow understand what goes on in it's head...


The gaze is like an aura. You have to save any round where you are on it.

At Atol. Diplomacy just isn't going to work against the crowd under the influence of the confusion spell. It would have worked otherwise.


Glimmil can't charge through the difficult terrain unless Cog has an ability I'm unaware of.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Round 3, Init 28

That thing is hideous! It drives people crazy just looking upon it!

Dyrant, realizing that there are Cauldron citizens in danger, turns his gaze and thoughts from Atol and to the BugBeast.

That thing must be stopped.

Calling upon the minute angels of light to aid him, Dyrant begins the prayer-spell of Angeldust, trying to blind the creature. (The bug, not Atol.) DC16 Will.

Posting from phone, don't have map, but Dyrant will center the Glitterdust blast to get the bug beast only, if possible...and a few citizens if necessary.

Dyrant will move to about 55' from the bug.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1
GM_Chris wrote:
Glimmil can't charge through the difficult terrain unless Cog has an ability I'm unaware of.

Originally I was looking at this map that only had 5ft of rubble between where Glimmil was charging to and the umber hulk.

Now I see there's 10ft of rubble, given the lance is a reach weapon, can't he charge into AH,14 (ending his turn in the first rubble filled square) and attack with reach?

If a charge isn't possible, then simply take half the damage and Glimmil/Cog do a single move action then an attack action.


Round 3
Dyrant (Bless) = 28 - Glitterdust 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Finneas (Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith) = 24 - miss
Glimmil (Bless) = 23 - move and hits for 19 (1/2 of 26 plus 6)
Atol (Bless) = 19 - channels
Toffitt (Bless) = 10 - babbles
Bug = 2
Crowds = 0

1d100 ⇒ 24 - Toffitt gets to act normally in Round 4

Dyrant sparkles glittering dust amongst all the dust of the destruction caused by the monster. Finneas moves up while trying to avoid eye contact so is unable to connect with the giant bug.

Glimmil and Cog are impeded by the debris, but still manage to strike the monster. The bug stops its destruction and turns to deal with Glimmil. It strikes Glimmil with its claws and mandibles, but can't quite penetrate Glimmil's armor.

Atol's healing appears to have saved most of the people by the puppet tent. However, now the crowd just stands there staring at each other and the destruction. It's hard to tell whether it's the influence of the monster or just the sheer madness of the last moments that have left the crowd standing in place and staring off into space.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24 - Bug at Glimmil
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
1d100 ⇒ 32 - Crowd

The city watch approaches from the west and stops next to Atol as they look for a way to attack the creature.
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 - will save
1d100 ⇒ 1 - act normal

The other city watch approaches from the east. The first brave soldier manages to duck as the monster swings its massive claw over its head.
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19 will save
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13 AoO

Party up for Round 4
New Map


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Round 4, Init 24

Dyrant will cast fly (standard) and put his scroll (move action) away into his pouch.

This monster bugs me.

Heh.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Round 4, Init 10 {>AL13}

I initially planned to drink a potion of protection from evil, but realized that it has no effect on confusion. Doh!

Toffitt takes a moment to reflect on what he's experiencing. Spellcraft 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Realizing that he is suffering from confusion, he does what seems, er, best. He rushes towards the monster, if possible moving through the guard.

"Atol, my thoughts are a jumble. I believe that if I provoke it, I'll be able to focus my anger on it."

Toffitt lets cold fury fill him as skirts the guards and moves through the crowd, ending up behind the BEM. I'm not sure if an AoO would stop him in his tracks, given the rules of confusion. If not, he ends up in a position to flank the monster. This is assuming Toffitt can treat the guards and civilians as neutral crowds or friendlies.

Status:

**Controlled rage: +4 Dex**
AC 24 (+7 Dex, +3 Nat armor, +4 armor), possibly +1 dodge crowd control
HP 37/37
Fort +8 Reflex +12 Will +2
Weapon Equipped Dueling Blade (+13 to hit, 1d8+2 dam, 2d6 sneak)
Shield Equipped none
Mutagen ACTIVE (+4 Dex, +2 AC, -2 Wis, 40 minute duration)
Controlled Rage 1 of 5 rounds used
Spontaneous healing 0hp of 10hp used
Elixirs
1 Cure light wounds
- Deathwatch
- empty slot
- empty slot
2 Alchemical allocation
- empty slot
Wand of Shield 39 charges


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

First, Glimmil looks deep into the eyes of his enemy, trying to ascertain why a bug-monster would suddenly appear and start tearing down buildings.

Will Save DC15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Confuzzled: 1d100 ⇒ 9

Glimmil shrugs, not quite understanding the creature, but feeling if he had some time to train it, and a large enough saddle...

No, it's evil and Garl would have it no other way... it must be vanquished!

Glimmil leaves his lance sticking out of the beast, unstraps his hook hammer and moves forward to engage in close combat.

Glimmil attack (+1 hammer, power, bless, smite): 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 9 + 1 + 3 = 32
Glimmil damage (+1 hammer, power, smite*): 1d6 + 7 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 7 + 8 = 21

*+4 instead of +8 from smite if it's not an "ultra-baddie" (let me know for future posts)

Cog attack (bite, power, bless): 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 1 = 24
Cog damage (bite, power): 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Cog trip: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 1 = 15

Status:

Glimmil Status:
HP: 52/52
AC 27 (24 base +3 smite)
Spells: 1) Challenge Evil [ ]
Smite Left: 1/2
Lay Hands Left: 4/4

Cog Status:
HP 31/35
AC 23


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Round 4 Init 24

Status:

HP = 49/49
AC = 9/9/8
Weapon Equipped = Cold Iron Greatsword +1
Speed = 30'
Rage/day = 4/5
Oracle Spells Left (CL 4, +8 melee touch, +5 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud
1 5/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith, Enlarged, Raging

Confusion: 1d100 ⇒ 57

Finneas, confused and enlarged, smacks himself in the face with his greatsword.

1d8 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 4, Initiative 19, Location AD15->AC 16

Status:
AC: 10 CMD: 13 HP: 32/32
Weapon Equipped = Cudgel
Conditions = Blessed, Spiritual Weapon 1 of 5
Channel Energy Left: 6/7
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Cleric Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Stabilize
1) Bless, Command, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Lesser Restoration
3) Magic Vestment, Prayer, Cure Disease

Willpower 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18 vs DC 15 to avoid the crazy.

Seeing Dr. Toffitt and the crowd come out of his confusion gives Atol hope... but his frustration returns as he watches Finneas smash himself.

What can I do? Most of my spells are arranged around healing Dr. Toffitt's sick.

He hears Dyrants voice in his head.

That's what scrolls are for you... you...! *facepalm*

Atol takes out a scroll of Spiritual Weapon and casts it looking straight at the creature as he does so - though he does take a 5' step back when he realizes the enormity of it all (to AC 16).

"By the power of St. Cuthbert you will be brought to justice!"

Spiritual Cudgel 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 points of damage.


Round 4
Dyrant (Bless) = 28 - Fly
Finneas (Confused round 2, Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith) = 24 - Hits himself
Glimmil (Confused round 1, Bless) = 23 - hits for 17 (Extra damage is only on first attack)
Atol (Bless) = 19 - spirtual weapon hits for 9
Toffitt (Confused Round 4, Bless) = 10 - Moves
Bug (Damage=19, 17, 9, 5=50) = 2
Crowds (Confused round 4) = 0 - 1d100 ⇒ 93 - Attack each other
CW1 (Confused Round 2) 1d100 ⇒ 54 - Stab themselves
CW2 (Confused Round 1) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13 1d100 ⇒ 42 Babble
Woman and Baby1d100 ⇒ 81 -

From a distance Dyrant calmly continues to cast spells while Finneas facepalms himself with his sword.

Glimmil moves up and smacks the creature hard again. Cog's bite seems less than fully effective though.

Toffitt expertly navigates the crowds as they stand in their stunned silence and stands alongside the city watch.

The creature tries again to deal with Glimmil, but still can't break through Glimmil's armor.
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

The crowd by the tent begins to move again, but only to resume attacking each other. Meanwhile, one group of guards stabs themselves while the other just stands there staring at the creature.

Amongst the chaos, a woman holding a baby walks out onto the second floor balcony of the music shop. She pauses for a moment and then tosses her baby onto the floor and begins to stomp him.

Party up for Round 5
Toffitt, Finneas, and Glimmil are confused. Don't forget to start your turn with a 1d100 roll.
New Map


At Atol. I forgot. You need to give me an SR check for the spiritual weapon last round and then one for each additional round it attacks.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Round 5, Init 10

1d100 ⇒ 5

Status:

**Controlled rage +4 Dex, Bless, Flank**
AC 25
HP 37/37
Fort +8 Reflex +12 Will +2
Weapon Equipped Dueling Blade (+14 to hit, 1d8+2 dam, 2d6 sneak)
Shield Equipped Buckler
Mutagen ACTIVE (+4 Dex, +2 AC, -2 Wis, 40 minute duration)
Controlled Rage 2 of 5 rounds used
Spontaneous healing 0hp of 10hp used
Elixirs
1 Cure light wounds
- Deathwatch
- empty slot
- empty slot
2 Alchemical allocation
- empty slot
Wand of Shield 39 charges

Having somehow managed to keep his wits about him, Toffitt strikes out at the BEM. He then equips his buckler.

Dueling blade 1d20 + 13 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 13 + 2 + 1 = 20 flank, bless
1d8 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + (2, 5) = 10


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Round 5, Init 28

"Angel, we are needed!"

Dyrant, after requesting Angel's aid in flight, will move quickly to engage the beast, moving up 10' and to AF13.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 Will save

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 Perception

Dyrant will consider giving the bug creature a dirty look of his own, but upon spying the woman and baby, will fly (avoiding the bugbeast) directly over the helpless brat (the baby, not Finn).

"Lady, by the Cudgel! Get a hold of yourself!"


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Confuzzled: 1d100 ⇒ 91

Attack the nearest creature, assuming the rule for familiars counts as animal companions (although it doesn't say so specifically... Chris feel to rule on this). 4 targets, using 1 as North and going clockwise to determine which. 1=UH, 2=C2#1, 3=C2#2, 4=Finneas.

1d4 ⇒ 3

Glimmil stops for a moment, and then bobs his head after another deep look into the bug creature's eyes. "Yes... yes, must attack all who are evil..."

Not sure if Glimmil would power attack? Keeping it the roll since it was what he did last round.

Glimmil attack (+1 hammer, power, bless, NO smite): 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 1 = 17
Glimmil damage (+1 hammer, power, NO challenge): 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Also I realize now that Cog should be making Will saves too (since he probably hasn't figured out about averting his eyes?)

Cog Will vs Confusion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Despite Glimmil's wild attacks, Cog focuses on the vicious bug-creature that seems to have possessed his master.

Cog attack (bite, power, bless): 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 1 = 23
Cog damage (bite, power): 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Cog trip: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 1 = 11


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

While trying to prevent the lady from knocking the baby unconscious, Dyrant will yell to Atol.

"Atol, by the Cudgel, get a smokestick ready! They truly are St. Cuthbert's key to salvation!"

Dyrant will try to keep his eyes averted from the bugbeast.


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Glimmil, per the Confusion rules you automatically attack the creature that attacked you without having to roll on the table.

Relevant text:

A confused character who can't carry out the indicated action does nothing but babble incoherently. Attackers are not at any special advantage when attacking a confused character. Any confused character who is attacked automatically attacks its attackers on its next turn, as long as it is still confused when its turn comes. Note that a confused character will not make attacks of opportunity against any creature that it is not already devoted to attacking (either because of its most recent action or because it has just been attacked).

Round 4 Init 24

Status:

HP = 41/49
AC = 9/9/8
Weapon Equipped = Cold Iron Greatsword +1
Speed = 30'
Rage/day = 3/5
Oracle Spells Left (CL 4, +8 melee touch, +5 ranged touch):
2 4/4 Resist Energy*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Fog Cloud
1 5/7 Divine Favor*, Shield of Faith*, Remove Fear*, Enlarge Person*, Cure Light Wounds*
0 (at will) Purify Food and Drink*, Create Water, Stabilize, Ghost Sound*, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Light, Spark*
* Allows save DC = 12 + Spell Level
Status Effects = Heroism, Bless, Shield of Faith, Enlarged, Raging

1d100 ⇒ 23

Finneas attacks the creature with a roar.

Cold Iron Greatsword +1 Power Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 133d6 + 16 ⇒ (4, 4, 5) + 16 = 29


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Round 5, Initiative 19, Location AC15->AG14

Status:
AC: 10 CMD: 13 HP: 32/32
Weapon Equipped = Cudgel
Conditions = Blessed, Spiritual Weapon 2 of 5
Channel Energy Left: 6/7
Resistant Touch Left: 8/8
Strength Surge Left: 8/8
Cleric Spells Remaining:
0) Create Water, Guidance, Light, Stabilize
1) Bless, Command, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith
2) Bull's Strength, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Lesser Restoration
3) Magic Vestment, Prayer, Cure Disease

Last rounds Caster Level Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Spiritual Cudgel 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 8 + 1 = 25 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 points of damage. CL check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Atol's mouth hangs open, horrified by the sight of the crowd and the mother and the baby. He very nearly sits on his skirts in frustration and sadness.

1d100 ⇒ 57 vs DC 50 to avoid the gaze as he moves toward the creature while still avoiding his gaze as best he can.

Atol moves past the crowd to AG14 so to be in reach of the baby and channels energy for 3d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 1) = 10 worth of healing. He selectively avoids the creature with the healing but should reach everyone else in the area (30' burst).

Celestial:
"Dyrant. I have a scroll of Obscuring Mist which I plan to use as soon as the creature is down - is that OK?"


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant emulates Finneas and *facepalms* himself severely at Atol's response.

Composing himself, Dyrant responds to Atol.

High Prayer (Celestial):

"Atol, by all that is noble and holy and by the Holy Cudgel, you get that smoke effect out right now! We need to stop the creatures gaze immediately from harming our flocks!"


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Celestial:

"Already harmed! The confusion lingers. Kill it!"


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1
Finneas Glenn wrote:
Glimmil, per the Confusion rules you automatically attack the creature that attacked you without having to roll on the table.

I did not know that bit, Glim hits AC22 then with the Smite and the flank with Toffitt vs the Umber Hulk, if that's enough.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Damage would +9 more too against the umber hulk versus the innocent Cauldronite from smite and the cavalier's challenge (for a total of 21).


The monster leans down to capture Glimmil in its mandibles, but Glimmil pounds the monster on top of the head. Cog gets a hold of one of the mandibles and rips it from its head. The monster drops before Toffitt even has a chance to stab it.

Such is the power of smite & AC vs DR.

If we were in a dungeon or isolated place where resources mattered, I'd play it out. However, since nothing will quickly follow we're out of initiative. Give me some general roleplaying on how you deal with everyone who is stabbing each other and themselves. The confusion lasts a total of 8 rounds (so less than 30 seconds at this point).

Finally, go ahead and start on level 6 for your characters.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Seeing the creature fall, Atol quickly takes out a scroll of Calm Emotions and reads it loudly. He positions himself to be in the middle of as many of the confused crowds as he can.

"Everyone please, look at me! Come to me to relax and hear the good word! St. Cuthbert loves you and the Cauldron Five have saved you. Er. Uh. Stealing is hurtful! Don't steal..."

Atol drops into the only sermon he knows - "Don't steal" and tries to hold the crowds attention for a few more seconds...

Depending on how you read the spell it either dispels confusion or simply masks it for the duration of the spell - 3 rounds. If there is a duration past that, Atol will channel energy every round to keep everyone healthy.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

LOL@Atol.

Dyrant will tender aid immediately to the baby at his feet, ignoring the mother should she attack him.

2d8 + 5 ⇒ (7, 2) + 5 = 14 Healing

"Come now, child. The Cudgel protects the innocent." Dyrant carefully picks up the baby and cradles it close.

Dyrant will fly out away from the mother until she calms down.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Does the baby attack Dyrant? How would the grapple check go? :-p


Atol figures the most logical spot from the center of the creature is atop its head, so he climbs up and speaks to the crowd as Cog gnaws on the mandible. The crowds calm down until the spells expire and then begin to deal with the wounded and the trajedy of all that has occurred. Thanks to Atol's quick channel no one was killed.

Healed by Dryant and calmed by Atol, the baby now giggles with Dyrant and waves his arms as they fly through the air.

6,151 to 6,200 of 13,586 << first < prev | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.