Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Sfounder's In Service to Lore PbP (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Marsh

COMBAT MAP


101 to 150 of 1,086 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

After leaving Amenopheus’ study, the servant brings you back through the spacious estate, leading you down sturdy stone steps into the cool basement. Down a hallway, after a couple turns, the party ends up at a plain wooden door. The servant opens the door, gesturing to the room with a bow, and waits silently for you to enter. Beyond, a plain stone room contains three chests: a copper-banded chest of smooth, dark wood; a red lacquered chest; and what looks to be a cube of solid steel. Behind the chests sits a low table holding a clear glass jar half full of liquid and a covered wicker basket.

Andoran

male Halfling Druid 3, AC 16, HPs 16/20, In +3, F +4, R +5, W +7 (Grip AC 16, HPs 9/26, F +5 R +5 W +2)

The halfling looks perplexed. Something tells me we shouldnt just rummage through till we find it. Is anybody good with traps?
While the others think Sumac steps closer for a better look. He looks with his eyes, nose, and ears. But not his hands or tongue.
Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Interesting, what are we supposed to do here kind sir? Fel looks imploringly at the servant. It's been a long day for us so far sir. I wonder if you could find some sympathy for us and offer some insight about the workings of this puzzle, for a puzzle it surely must be.

Fel conspiratorially whispers, I swear we won't breathe a word regarding any assistance you might offer! then the elf winks and grins at the man.

Diplomacy: Make Request1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

Chud enters the room and carefully inspects the chests and cube. He does not touch them, but focuses especially on signs of hidden compartments.

Appraise 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Both these checks benefited from the racial ability, Scavenger, which grants a +2 bonus to appraise and perception checks used to search for hidden things like traps and secret compartments

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

If each object requires their own checks, here are the additional two. Chud can work his way from left to right, facing the front of the chests.

appraise
1. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
2. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

perception
1. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
2. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


As Chud begins his examination with the halfling, the servent merely shifts his gaze from the elf to the door, and then closes you into the room. An ominous click signals that the door is locked. Fel follows the servant's gaze to the back of the door, "Within these cases lies your quest and your way out."

Sumac:
You juuuuust barely hear the sound of something...slitheringin the wicker basket.

Chud:
The chests seem to be non-descript, with the exception of the red lacquered chest, which has slightly glowing runes by the lock. The steel box looks like a cubic piece of steel. Without touching them it's hard to find secret compartments...


M Dwarf Inquisitor / 1 AC:18 Touch:12 FF:16 HP:12/12 Init:+4

Dagnud goes up to the chests and inspects them, also without touching: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 +2 more if the Dwarf racial trait on perception for unusual stonework applies here

If I can make a knowledge arcana check for the runes, I'll do so: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

As Chud carefully inspects the red lacquered chest, careful not to touch, but leaning forward at different angles, he suddenly freezes and lets out a barely audible gasp. ...runes.

knowledge arcana: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Fel inspects the glass half full of liquid.
Perception 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13

Andoran

male Halfling Druid 3, AC 16, HPs 16/20, In +3, F +4, R +5, W +7 (Grip AC 16, HPs 9/26, F +5 R +5 W +2)

In a soft voice barely above a whisper Sumac speaks to the group. Hey guys, Im pretty sure there is a very dangerous snake in the wicker basket.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf Fighter / 5 AC:23/24 Touch:14/15 FF: 21 HP 64/64 Init: +3(+2 underground); P:0;F:9;R:4;W:2(+1 fear,+1 ench,+2 poison&spells)
Hérwë Felthanilal "Fel" wrote:
Fel inspects the glass half full of liquid.

Iiiii dunno. I think the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

hack will also give it a look--and a sniff.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 7


Chud:
The runes make no sense. Not that you fail to understand them, but that they are purely decorative...

It's hard to sniff the contents of the glass with the wicker basket on top...

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Maybe we should move the wicker basket. Anyone object to that?

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

These runes appear to have no meaning divorced of this little game we are playing.

Chud straightens and turns to face the rest of the group.

So, we have a serpent and who knows what else in a basket, which is peculiarly set atop a mysterious jar of liquid, two chests - one with strange runes, and a cube that appears to be made of solid steel. I think that my eyes alone have exhausted their usefulness. I recommend those that think they can see more, look. If nothing new is discovered and nobody can think of something obvious to do with these items yet, I vote to progress to more hands-on experimentation

DM, how big are the keyholes of the chests?

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf Fighter / 5 AC:23/24 Touch:14/15 FF: 21 HP 64/64 Init: +3(+2 underground); P:0;F:9;R:4;W:2(+1 fear,+1 ench,+2 poison&spells)
Dungeon Master S wrote:
It's hard to sniff the contents of the glass with the wicker basket on top...
DM wrote:
Behind the chests sits a low table holding a clear glass jar half full of liquid and a covered wicker basket

I guess I dont' understand how the jar and basket are arranged.

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Is this particular puzzle or are the runes based on any historical symbolism? Perhaps an old Osirion tale or historical motif?

Knowledge: History 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Is there a religious significance to anything in the room?

Knowledge: Religion 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


The layout of the room does not seem to hold any historical or religious significance. The keyholes look normal sized, but clearly they each use a unique key

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

Chud inspects the cube using his hands.

perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Cn Fel see inside the wicker basket without disturbing the cover?


Chud, the cube is light, as if hollow, you notice a near imperceptible crack in the side running all the way around. On the back side is a keyhole, one that is exceedingly thin, maybe a 1/4 of a normal key.

Fel, the wicker basket is double layered and opaque.

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Gentlemen, I move that we should lift the cover off of this basket and see what sort of serpent is coiled within. Perhaps we could open it up and find a key ring in its belly. Maybe the liquid is an acid that could eat through the boxes. Maybe it is water and after a day or two trapped in this room we could wrestle for the privilege of drinking it. At this last, he glance at the burly dwarves and amends his position, Or perhaps we divvy up shares of the water in proportion to how tall we are. he says with his characteristic grin.

Fel is about to gingerly lift the basket off of the glass of liquid, unless someone objects...

I guess sometime mid-morning tomorrow (Saturday) if no one stops me, Fel will do the above

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

Chud sighs and folds his arms across his chest. His hooded stare shifts between the cube and the two chests. After a brief moment passes he turns to the party,

I may be able to lull the beast in the basket to sleep for a very short time. That could give one of you a chance to subdue the creature without suffering injury or, worse yet, poison. In order to solve this puzzle, I'm almost certain we'll need whatever else is in that basket, perhaps even the snake itself...I see no alternative to opening the basket, unless one of you is a locksmith...

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Let's put it to sleep. Go for it. You knock it out, I'll tie its head to a stick so when it awakens it won't be able to bite us. I have this mop sticking out of my backpack, perhaps that will work.

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

Chud gestures for one of the strong, mighty warriors to ready themselves in front of the basket. When they are in position, Chud begins singing what is best described as a creepy lullaby in the direction of the snake.

the slumber hex works much like the sleep spell except it will only last one round. There is nothing that says I actually have to see my target..dc is 16 for will save

chud holds this action until one of our warrior types agrees to it by moving into position.


M Dwarf Inquisitor / 1 AC:18 Touch:12 FF:16 HP:12/12 Init:+4

Dagnud draws his sword and moves into position next to the basket.

Ready when you are.


Supernatural abilities require "Line of Effect" to their origin. Since this targets a creature, you can't cast it through the basket.

I'm 2 hours early for an autopilot, but let us try Sumac first.....

Sumac extends a hand, gesturing to stay back. Uttering hisses he slowly makes his way towards the basket. With a slow and steady hand he lifts the cover. His swaying motion is connotes a serpent's motion (Wild Empathy check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4). The snake is apparently too hungry or maltreated. Before it can lash out at the small druid, Chud's eyes flash and the snake (Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9) drops over the edge of the basket and plops on the floor.

Fel quickly works on the snake, but 6 seconds is a short time. I'll call it similar to sabotaging a single tricky device. 1d4 ⇒ 2 rounds. The snake begins to shake off the hex and Fel is about to switch to Plan B when Dagnud drops his blade on the snake. 2d6 ⇒ (4, 5) = 9. The snake's head comes apart from it's body and ends up in Fel's hand..... Hopefully Amenopheus wasn't attached to the creature.

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Fel drops the head and examines the body. Are there any peculiar markings? What are the contents of its stomach?

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Is there anything on the ceiling above the boxes?


The snake's stomach is empty, and Sumac can tell you it's underfed, though it looks pretty round to you. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14 You don't see anything out of place in the ceiling.

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Fel has a -2 to perception :(

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf Fighter / 5 AC:23/24 Touch:14/15 FF: 21 HP 64/64 Init: +3(+2 underground); P:0;F:9;R:4;W:2(+1 fear,+1 ench,+2 poison&spells)

Anything else in teh basket? How about checking that jar of liquid?


M Dwarf Inquisitor / 1 AC:18 Touch:12 FF:16 HP:12/12 Init:+4

Dagnud casts Detect Poison on the jar of liquid. If it's not poisonous, he'll try to taste test it (Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20).

Andoran

male Halfling Druid 3, AC 16, HPs 16/20, In +3, F +4, R +5, W +7 (Grip AC 16, HPs 9/26, F +5 R +5 W +2)
Dungeon Master S wrote:
The snake's stomach is empty, and Sumac can tell you it's underfed, though it looks pretty round to you.

What do you mean by round? Does the snake look like a key to something?

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

puzzles on PbP are gay


lol. "Round" was meant to imply that it looked normal to everyone who isn't a druid. This si the first time I've really tried one on PbP, though once you guys get started I don't think it'll be that bad.

...Inside the wicker basket is a pile of old linen, and wrapped up haphazardly in the linen is a small metal key. Runes on it glow ever so faintly.

Dagnud, the liquid is not poisonous, but your taste taste goes horribly wrong. It's some kind of potash solution. You take 1 point of damage.

Andoran

male Halfling Druid 3, AC 16, HPs 16/20, In +3, F +4, R +5, W +7 (Grip AC 16, HPs 9/26, F +5 R +5 W +2)

Hmmm, potash is most commonly used as fertilizer...

Do the runes on the key mean anything to Chud?
Id guess this opens the chest with the runes on it?


The runes on the key match the runes on the chest.

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

Rune chest, rune key. Stick the thing in the thing.


Chud turns the key, and a soft click signals the lock being released. The lid opens of it's own accord. Inside the chest holds a key forged
into the end of a jeweled scepter. There is also another click coming from the ceiling. In a crack that Fel missed, releases a small, golden
key from a slit in the ceiling, dropping it 6 inches down from the 15-foot-high ceiling.

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Oh, this is too easy! Three boxes and three keys! Fel smiles broadly and reaches for the key hanging from the ceiling.

I may need a step up... Fel mutters, glancing at the short, stumpy, sturdy party members and wondering which one would likely object less and remain still better.

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Witch/1 Initiative:+0 - AC:10, T:10, FF:10 - HP:9/9 - FAME:0

Chud inspects the scepter with the key in it, also looking for any buttons or creases that can be manipulated to get the key out. Does it have any discernible magic properties?

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Know(arcana): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Natural 1 FTW!


The scepter is neither equipped with moving parts nor magical properties. Appraise: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24 and the "gems and jewels" are colored glass, hardly worth a copper.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf Fighter / 5 AC:23/24 Touch:14/15 FF: 21 HP 64/64 Init: +3(+2 underground); P:0;F:9;R:4;W:2(+1 fear,+1 ench,+2 poison&spells)

Oi, ye durned elf. 'Ere, lemme giveye a boost.

Harnack gets under, but a litlte back from, the dangling key. He interlaces his fingers, cupping his hands in the universal "boost" pose, bracing himself in a slight crouch.

ONce Fel puts his foot in the makeshift boosting mechanism, Hack will give a mighty heave--way stronger than one might expect!!--aiming Fel for the key.

Me pappy says "Go hard or go home," eh?? Har har har! YOu get that thing, or you need another boost??

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Fel is slightly built, so the Dwarven heave was remarkably effective.

Dex check to grab key: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


That's an Acrobatics skill check.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf Fighter / 5 AC:23/24 Touch:14/15 FF: 21 HP 64/64 Init: +3(+2 underground); P:0;F:9;R:4;W:2(+1 fear,+1 ench,+2 poison&spells)

does he get a bonus for the boost? Say, Harnac's strength mod of +3???

Andoran

male Halfling Druid 3, AC 16, HPs 16/20, In +3, F +4, R +5, W +7 (Grip AC 16, HPs 9/26, F +5 R +5 W +2)

What about stacking the chests on top of the low table? How high would that be? Close enough for Fel to then reach the key?

Andoran

Male
Crunch:
Perception +2 / Stealth +3 | Fort: 0, Ref: +6, Will +1/+2 vs. Enchantment | FAME:12/12 - XP:6/9
Elf
Short Bow:
Shoot Short Bow: [dice]1d20+5[/dice] for [dice]1d6-1[/dice] damage.
Bard / 3 Initiative:+0 - AC:16, T:13, FF:13 - HP 16/16 - Bardic Chant 11/13

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12


Fel misses horribly. Sumac, you're pretty sure that if you stack the boxes, a simple leap would net you the key.


M Dwarf Inquisitor / 1 AC:18 Touch:12 FF:16 HP:12/12 Init:+4

Do the boxes look sturdy enough to support that weight? How is the key attached to the ceiling? Could it be knocked down by throwing or shooting something at it?

101 to 150 of 1,086 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Sfounder's In Service to Lore PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.