Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Seekers of the Grail (Inactive)

Game Master Matt, Garnished Game Designer

Join the ranks of an expedition on their quest to recover the history of their land and to recover the artifact which saved it in times of yore. A home made Play-by-Post Campaign.


701 to 750 of 1,339 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

The nobles seem furious about your intrusion into your affairs.

In fact, the shorter one seems about ready to draw a weapon when the taller one pulls him aside and whispers something in his ear. The shorter one's grip slowly eases off the pommel of his sword.

The two give a last dirty look at the old man and walk away to their horses and ride off unless intervened with.


Male Human 3rd Paladin |HP 25/25|AC 15|CMD 16|Fort +7|R: +4|W: +4|Init: +0|Perc: -2|

Endrian sees the situation unfold as he approaches the group.

As the men turn to leave, he questions them "What business do you have with this man that seems worthy to beat him on the streets until someone stands up for him? Are you cowards? Do you believe that so long as you outnumber a weak individual you are free to harass him. Turning your back on us will only prove your guilt."


hp 26 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 16 | F +3 | R +5 | W +3 | Init +4 | Per +4

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Leylyn strains to hear what the two nobles are whispering. When they turn and go she says "Told ya." to the group watching.


Urban Barbarian 1/Musket Master 2 (HP 31 | AC 20 | T 14 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +7 | R +5 | W +1 | Init +3 | Per +7

Jevon lifts the old man gently by his arms, "Alright gramps, on yer feet. Oi, Ithriel, wanna give 'im a quick look? Make sure he's alright?" Jevon will provide the man as much support as he needs, at the same time he keeps his eyes on the retreating nobles, making sure they don't do anything foolish.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Male Elf Oracle 2 / Fighter 1 (HP 17 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +2 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7)

Takes a look at the old man to see if he has any serious injuries.

Heal: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


HP 22/25, AC 20, F +4, Ref +2, W +1, Init +1

Leon eyes their regalia, going through what he can remember of the symbols and colors of noble houses.

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Oh well, it was worth a shot.


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Baster sees the nobles retreat.

"Little yapping dogs" he states, his voice dripping with contempt.

Does Baster know the noble houses those two men are a part of ?
Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Crossing his arms on his chest while nonchalantly leaning against a wall, he eyes Jevon helping the old man to his feet.

"So you're not just rough all around, Jevon ? You cleverly hide a caring heart under your rapascallion appearance ?" he asks half-mockingly.


Ithriel, you see that he only has a few minor bruises, nothing serious.

Endrian, as you shout after them they simply ignore your questions, and instead ride off hastily out of town.

Baster:
You don't recognize where they come from but their accouterments seem to indicate them as being vassals or minor nobles, most likely under a stronger noble house.


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

"I didn't recognize their coat of arms" says Baster while looking at the two riders getting away from town "but I think they are minor nobles, vassals from a stronger noble house."

"You have a most peculiar opinion about our duty as nobles" the nobleman says, turning to speak to Tim Deamon.

He seems to recall some memories.

"As to our relationship with commoners, my grandfather used to say this:

"We command and protect them, and in return they obey us, so they are free of the burdens of war and governance and can work to provide bounties from the land for all; thus, nobles and commoners, we toil together in this world, tending to our appointed duties so as to gather the blessings of saint Eveldine and the church."

Baster pauses.

"He was a very dutiful man, my grandfather" he concludes in a perfectly neutral tone.


Male Human 3rd Paladin |HP 25/25|AC 15|CMD 16|Fort +7|R: +4|W: +4|Init: +0|Perc: -2|

As the men ride off, Endrian turns and says to the others "So much for 'Nobles'."

He then turns to Tim and Baster "I am sorry that your nobility is cheapened by men such as those."

Endrian quickly turns his attention to the beaten man.

He raises his hand over him "May Eveldine ease your pain."

Lay on Hands: 1d6 ⇒ 3


Urban Barbarian 1/Musket Master 2 (HP 31 | AC 20 | T 14 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +7 | R +5 | W +1 | Init +3 | Per +7

"What, I can't be a caring rapscallion?" Jevon replies to Baster, before turning back to the old man. "You, you old fool, watch where yer walkin' next time. Can't even say thank you? Shiiiit." Jevon says hands on hips. No respect...


The old man looks up from being tended to by Endrian. You see him grimace at your words and open his mouth, revealing the lack of tongue. He makes a feeble smile before getting to his feet.

Unless stopped, the old man simply hobbles away after bowing and shaking your hands for the help.

Perception DC 25:
You notice in a small fraction of a second a small pendant inside the old man's tattered shirt shaped like a diamond, with a smaller diamond inside it, corners matching the larger diamond's borders. link


M Human 1 Mnk 2Sorc [AC 16/20 CMD17] [F3R6W7] [HP16]

"Sorry about them, too many idiots that think they inherently deserve things because of birth when really birth just saddles us with responsibilities."

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Well I need a 19 or better, like that will happen.


The perception is meant to be tough.


Male Human 3rd Paladin |HP 25/25|AC 15|CMD 16|Fort +7|R: +4|W: +4|Init: +0|Perc: -2|

Endrian will not let the man just hobble away.

He will provide an arm to lean on as the man moves and say "Lead the way, good sir."

Endrian really isn't that perceptive


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Just before Endrian helps the commoner, Baster goes to the old man and presses something in his hand. He whispers something to him and then walks right away.

Perception check: 1d20 ⇒ 13

"Let us go to the tavern and have a drink before we go back to the camp. Something local, so as to taste the bounties of this fair land !" the Peacock knight says pleasantly to the other Seekers

Game Master Matt:
Baster just gave 5 gold pieces to the old man.
Sleight of Hand check to hide the pieces (capped at 10): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Perception DC 10 to notice what Baster did:

Baster pressed gold pieces in the old man's hand.

Perception DC 15 to hear what Baster whispered to the old man:

"Take that, old man. And don't make a fuss. It's just a bet I lost to a lady friend."


hp 26 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 16 | F +3 | R +5 | W +3 | Init +4 | Per +4

Leylyn smiles at Jevon as Baster makes his comment. When Jevon turns and speaks to the commoner again, she shake her head. "...And you were doing sooo well..." She says, unable to keep a smile off her face.

When the man shows that he has no tongue, Leylyn frown. Why would his tongue be missing She ponders.

Knowledge (local) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 To determine whether having a tongue cut out in this city is a form of punishment, or a form of servitude or something like that.

Perception against Baster.
Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Leylyn nods in approval and stifles a laugh as she watches Baster whisper to the old man.


Leylyn:
While not a form of punishment, you do know that "tying up the tongue" is a common practice performed by brigands, bandits, thieves and other shady folk to ensure that someone doesn't reveal a secret or something that the person witnessed.


hp 26 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 16 | F +3 | R +5 | W +3 | Init +4 | Per +4

"That man must hold an important secret to have his tongue tied like that." Leylyn whispers to the others.


Male Dwarf Cleric 2, [hp 19][AC 20][CMD 15][Fortitude +5][Reflex +2][Will +7][Initiative +4][Perception +10]

Although he wasn't part of the whole noble/peasant altercation, Koldir was nearby, so I'll make a perception check just in case.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

Koldir does notice the pendant, and although it's not standard peasant jewelry, it does stand out and he makes a mental note of it.


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

"What do you mean ?" Baster whispers back to Leylyn.


hp 26 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 16 | F +3 | R +5 | W +3 | Init +4 | Per +4

Leylyn shrugs. "tying up the tongue is what brigands, bandits, thieves and other shady jerks do to people to ensure that someone doesn't reveal a secret or something that the person witnessed. I guess it is better than the alternative... I wouldn't put the practice past corrupt nobles either."


Male Elf Oracle 2 / Fighter 1 (HP 17 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +2 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7)

Perception of the old man: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Baster Perception checks:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Ithriel notices what Baster handed the old man and thinks, I knew you weren't as cold as you try to appear. Then realized that Baster whispered something but couldn't make out what he said.

At Baster's suggestion, Ithriel says, "I know a place."


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

"Lead the way and I'll follow" says Baster to the ElF.


Male Elf Oracle 2 / Fighter 1 (HP 17 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +2 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7)

Ithriel leads them to the tavern that he visited earlier.

Whispers to Leylyn.

Leylyn:
Can you find out if anyone has seen an Elf that looks like me in the past several decades?


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Baster adresses the old woman with the wispy hair behind the counter.

"Give all of us a drink with "Neremburg" in its name, woman. And make one, if you don't have one. Ho, and give this stern warrior" he points to Endrian "a glass of fresh water, too."

Baster pays for the drinks. Once all the glasses have been brought to the Seekers, he drinks a toast: "To life and victory ! And to the bounties of the land !"


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Baster smiles to Leylyn.

"I have bought a flute. I look forward to learn to play Magma the Magic Dragon on it with you."


Urban Barbarian 1/Musket Master 2 (HP 31 | AC 20 | T 14 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +7 | R +5 | W +1 | Init +3 | Per +7

Perception on Pendant 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Baster Perception 1 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Baster Perception 2 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

"Fair 'nough." Jevon says to the old man when he reveals his lack of tongue. "Sorry." He notices Baster giving him some gold but doesn't catch what he whispers. Not as cold as he seems... Jevon will accompany the others to the bar. He will light up his pipe, and then look for a pretty girl to dance with.


hp 26 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 16 | F +3 | R +5 | W +3 | Init +4 | Per +4

Leylyn nods as Ithriel whispers into her ear. "No problem Ithriel!" She says back.

At the bar Leylyn chugs her drink in one go and slams it down on the table. "Ahh, that's good stuff!. Maybe I should have bought some travel'n booze with my already spent money. Oh well." She shrugs.

When Baster mentions the flute, Leylyn sighs. "Ohh Basty, you should have said something! It's the teacher's job to buy a flute for their apprentice! What am I gonna do with the extra flute I bought?" Leylyn complains, although she seems more amused than upset.

When Jevon goes off looking for a dance partner, Leylyn gets up and walks over to him. "I owe you a dance from the first time we met don't I? You game?" Leylyn asks.

If Jevon dances with Leylyn:

Leylyn gets into the dance, either going with the type of dance or taking Jevon's lead. She has no problem going wild, being intimate, or taking it very seriously. Once the dance is over she leans in close and gives him a kiss on the cheek and whispers, "That was fun! I'd love to dance more, but I've a promise to keep! and I don't like to disappoint friends..."

If any of the other party member's asks Leylyn to dance, she doesn't decline. She only dances one song eith them though. Once that is over she starts to mingle with other patrons at the bar for some time and eventually leaves the bar by herself.

DM Matt:

Diplomacy (Gather Info)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Leylyn is trying to find out if an elf matching Ithriel in appearance has passed through the town within the last few decades. She starts at the bar and move to where ever leads takes her, or goes to another bar or place with a lot of people to continue is she can't get any leads.


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Baster seems to enjoy the tavern's ambiance, though he doesn't really mingle. Other people don't seem to warm up to him either; maybe that's because of the torture instrument - his scorpion whip - hung on his hip.

The nobleman talks a while with Endrian, Leon and Tim Deamon about the battle with the dragon. He drinks many a cup during this talk, draining his glasses with surprising speed.

Then he says, taking up a glass of wine while letting the light play on its surface:
"That one is strong in tannin, isn't it, Tim ? I understand that it's flavored with limetree barks. Maybe you could pass the recipe to your winemakers back in your fief ?"

Baster puts a hand on Endrian's shoulder.

"You know, Endrian, that I respect your choices. Nonetheless, I invite you to drink some alcohol while we're in this cozy tavern."

He lets go of Endrian's shoulder and raises a finger:
"In my experience, men who won't drink, ever, are terrible when they eventually taste the sweet spirits they forcefully denied themselves."

"It's the honest truth, paladin. I've seen men reduced to gibbering wrecks because they abstained from alcohol for far too long a time. I posit that's because they resolved to drink when their moral defenses were sorely tested - when they were at their weakest, if you will."

Baster gulps the limetree flavored wine he had kept in his hand while lecturing Endrian.

"Haa, that was gut warming !... So, my friend, I'll say it one last time: it's better to drink when you're sober !"

Baster chuckles. He is himself past sober, though he gives the impression he could drink much more than he already did without flinching.


Human Witch 3 | HP 20/20

Are there any open tables in the tavern?


HP 22/25, AC 20, F +4, Ref +2, W +1, Init +1

Leon disappears for a few hours, eventually reuniting with the rest of the company at the tavern. Outside on the hitching post is a stunning white and grey stallion, fully barded and wearing a horse tabbard in white and gold. The horse looks far, far too fine for the scruffy farmer turned soldier.


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Skein blows some air out of its nostrils, and shuffles a bit when the stallion is tied at the hitching post.

Some time later, Baster exits the tavern and looks at the warhorse with its white and gold tabbard.

Then he comes back in the tavern.

"So" he says to Leon "you're finally showing your true colours ?". It sounds like a joke and almost like a menace at the same time.

Baster has had many drinks and is apparently a little flustered.

"Would you care to speak of your lineage, sir Leon ?"

Baster makes a dismissive gesture, while glancing briefly at Koldir.

"I assume "Leon" is your real name, although it has been revealed that some in the present company have used false names in the not so distant past."

Sense Motive DC 12:
Whatever the reason, Baster is malcontent and is half-heartedly looking for an excuse to start something with Leon.


Male Elf Oracle 2 / Fighter 1 (HP 17 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +2 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7)

What is he getting at now? Ithriel wonders to himself.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Grips his staff more tightly.


Urban Barbarian 1/Musket Master 2 (HP 31 | AC 20 | T 14 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +7 | R +5 | W +1 | Init +3 | Per +7

"I'm always game lovey." Jevon says taking Leylyn's hand and leading her out to the dance floor. He seems to lack formal traning, but makes up for it with enthusiasm. His dancing is a mixture of styles, at times like Irish step and others african tribal dancing. After their dance, and the little kiss he says "Yeah no problem, it was fun." before giving her a wink and a quick pat on the bum and heading back to the table to talk with Koldir.

"Oi Koldie, sorry fer bustin' yer name out in the battle back there. It was an accident." he says, setting down two cups of strong wine. "Hope this'll make up fer it. What'd you fink of that old man today?" Jevon asks.


HP 22/25, AC 20, F +4, Ref +2, W +1, Init +1

If Leon notices the barbs in Sir Baster's voice, he does not respond to them. Instead he shrugs and takes a pull of his drink.

"Not much to tell really, at least not much for certain. I'm a farmer. It might be that my family was nobility once upon a time, but they're farmers now. I think 'm the last one left, and all I have to tell me where my ancestors came from are some stories I have a hard time believing."

After another drink he glances out the window to his new horse.

"But I took what you said seriously. I read a book that talked about knighthood and what knights and nobles are supposed to be. It's half philosophy and half instruction. I just took the advice in it about what to look for in a mount and bought a horse. I might not be a knight to anyone but you, but I doubt the horse knows that."


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Baster is taken aback by Leon's simple and honest answer.

"A farmer ?"

He blinks several times, as if trying to think clearly through the haze of alcohol that permeates him.

"And you read a book..."

Baster looks like he is ready to burst into laughter, but then something registers with him that sobers him up, and he calms down, looking at Leon with quiet dark eyes and an intense expression.

"And you're the last of your line, whatever it may be."

"I'm... sorry to hear that. May Eveldine bring you solace."

Baster glances away from Leon, staring into the distance.

How must it feel when you're all alone, bereft of your kin... I can't really imagine it. But did I not dream about it once ?

"It is a... beautiful... stallion, fit for a knight" Baster says slowly while looking at the warhorse in front of the tavern.

It is fit for a peer of the kingdom !

Curse you, Leon ! I hate it that I don't hate you !

Baster looks back at Leon with a smirk.

"I drank much. Though not enough, it seems."

He turns to the counter and slaps his hand on it.

"There, woman ! Fill our glass with spirits, so that we may try to conjure happiness from them !"

He laughs bitterly.

"Let us drink and make no pretense of wisdom ! You too, Endrian !"


Male Human 3rd Paladin |HP 25/25|AC 15|CMD 16|Fort +7|R: +4|W: +4|Init: +0|Perc: -2|

After safely seeing the man to where he had intended on going, Endrian seeks out the tavern the others were making their way towards. He makes inquiries with the locals describing his friends in an attempt to find them.

Gather Information: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Upon locating the tavern, Endrian walks inside, catching Baster's eye.

Baster wrote:
...he points to Endrian "a glass of fresh water, too."

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (17) - 2 = 15

After some time sitting in the tavern, humoring Baster as he speaks about the importance of a man partaking in alcohol every so often and watching Jevon and Leylyn dance, Endrian sees Baster get in Leon's face.

Before moving to do something, he watches the scene play out, knowing that Leon could handle himself having seen him fight.

When Baster orders a round and practically demand Endrian partake, Endrian relents and says sternly "Just one. No matter how much I beg for more, only allow me one."

He then moves over to Baster, handing him his coin purse saying "Do not return this until tomorrow."

Here goes...

Endrian walks over to the bar, takes his drink and gulps it down. It does not seem to be an alien concept to him at all.

Will Save DC: 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

He leans over to Baster and says "Happy now, friend?"


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

"Yes."

Baster smiles.

"You're supposed to enjoy it, you know ?"

The knight grabs a glass and gulps it down, in much the same way as the paladin did.

"You're a good man, Endrian" the nobleman states while putting the empty glass back on the counter.

"I wonder what it feels like" he jokes.


HP 22/25, AC 20, F +4, Ref +2, W +1, Init +1

"Thank you. I'm not trying to overstep my station. I'm just trying to earn one. It means a lot that you approve. You two are the only real knights I've ever met." Leon says simply.

Quote:
"You're supposed to enjoy it, you know ?"

Looking down into his glass, Leon sighs and pours another.

Supposed to...


Male Human 3rd Paladin |HP 25/25|AC 15|CMD 16|Fort +7|R: +4|W: +4|Init: +0|Perc: -2|

Endrian returns Baster's smile.

Missing the joke, "A good man..." he chuckles a little, "being a paladin takes a lot Sir Baster, not just in terms of strength and courage but in terms of sacrifice... Sometimes I wonder whether it's worth it."


Male Elf Oracle 2 / Fighter 1 (HP 17 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +2 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7)

Visibly relaxes after Baster seems to go back to a better humor. Still nursing his first glass of wine, Ithriel thinks to himself, I wonder how Leylyn in coming along?


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Baster looks at Endrian with a thoughtful expression.

"You said to me your vow was: To serve all that is right and just. To ensure that Evil is punished and that fair and just order is maintained."

"I can understand why this would demand sacrifices on your part. Mighty and worthy causes have a tendency to do that."

Baster looks at his empty glass with the same thoughtful expression he just had, and decides to refill it with the pitcher of wine standing on the table around which the Seekers are seated.

He then drinks it down in two gulps.

"Nivmadas and Keddenmark need men like you upholding that kind of vow !" he says to the paladin in a definite tone.

"Why do you think we Seekers are searching for the Grail ?"

"My recent... adventurous forays... in the land's borders have made me aware of things whom most seem to be oblivious to."

"There's trouble afoot in the twin kingdoms. Some underlying tension, easily overlooked, but waiting to discharge itself."

"Petty nobles chomping at their reins to overstep their station. Patches of land with crops not coming to fruition, leading to restless peasantry in some parts of the countryside. Bandits in the marches..."

"All of that staying invisible for the most part. Until yesterday, when a full detachment of well-equiped and well-trained soldiers attacked an expedition - an expedition blessed by our king and queen, no less - with a dragon at their side."

"So Endrian" Baster asks the paladin with a quirky smile "tell me: is it worth it ?"

The Peacock knight clasps the paladin in the back in a gesture of comradeship without waiting for his answer.

"Don't answer too fast, or don't answer at all."

"And most importantly: don't answer to me !"


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Half an hour later, Baster, who has been emptying whole mugs of wine with a steady beat, sighs with relief. And pleasure.

"I'm not drunk yet, but I'm getting there. Ha, sweet nectar of the vine ! Dissolve all my nagging thoughts !"


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Time has passed and Baster has spent it all drinking.

Fortitude check to stay clear-minded despite the alcohol: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

"Pshaw ! What must a man do to lose himself in ethylic stupor these days ?" he says ruefully.


Male Elf Oracle 2 / Fighter 1 (HP 17 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +2 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7)

Ithriel stands, walks over to Baster, puts a hand on his shoulder and says, "We should probably head back. The expedition is going to need those supplies." Turns and begins to walk out the door.


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Not sober anymore, but not sufficiently addled despite all his efforts, Baster looks around him with a bleary predatory glance, searching and hoping for trouble.

Perception check: 1d20 ⇒ 5

But he finds none. The tavern is full of people enjoying themselves after a hard day's labor.

Look at all these bloody peasants, how they look happy ! And those merchants comfy in their corner: not an ounce of disagreement to be had with them !

That wine is not even watered down, or I would loudly demand to be reimbursed !

He looks at the old woman with wispy hair behind the counter.

That harmless cow... There should be a burly man with questionable manners in her stead, just a bit unrespectful of my station and ready to have his head bashed in ! Eveldine's hammer : how I would love to bash some heads in right now !

He looks at Leon.

No... he is a very decent man. And he grieves. And he is my ally. And I already tried to provoke him. I can't aggravate him further: etiquette forbids it. For now.

Baster briefly closes his eyes.

What's wrong with me ? I have no quarrel at all with this man for any reason I can think of. What's so grating about him ?

He opens his eyes.

I don't want to think about it anymore. I don't want to think at all. Is that too much to ask for ?

He glances over Endrian (Where is Ithriel gone ?), and sees Jevon and Koldir speaking and drinking together nearby.

Under the poisonous influence of the alcohol, the thoughts in his head mingle with each other in a dreadful cacophonous ballet.

Ha, that one ! Jevon ! Foul-mouthed Jevon Ryker ! A resentful plebeian, angry at living in the common dirt. Like an unruly bull tied to a picket. I could provoke a fight from him in an heartbeat...

Baster sniggers.

But then I would have to take on the dwarf too. Ha, it would be good ! You're not so tough, the two of you ! And I'm most cunning.

Baster's hand unconsciously strokes the handle of his scorpion whip. But something in Koldir catches his attention.

The dwarf... There's... darkness in him. I can tell. I can feel it. I can almost taste it. Like an insidious black liquid seeping into his innermost thoughts.

Baster swallows hard.

Are you afraid of yourself sometimes, Koldir ? Have you ever tried in your youth to strangle an elder brother of yours in his bed, Koldir ?

Baster's hand goes to his mouth.

Ho no ! ho sweet Eveldine, no... I won't go there. I don't want to think about it. I won't. I'm not a bad man. Just don't think, Baster !

Baster pours himself another drink with a slightly trembling hand.

Damn it, I'm supposed to be hammered by now ! Doesn't anything work like it's supposed to do anymore ?

Baster pours himself another drink.


male human cavalier 3 [hp 26/26] [AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)] [Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1 ] [Init +2] [Perception +2 ] [CMD 18]

Fortitude check to resist alcohol: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Baster's eyes close. He stays erect in his chair.

His arms go limp at his side.

His hands finally unfurl themselves from his palms, like pale flowers blossoming.

Something taut inside him slackens and lets go of him. He lets out a great sigh.

His face smooths out by itself. His breath deepens and goes steady.

Oblivious of all around him, the Peacock knight is asleep, .


Male Human 3rd Paladin |HP 25/25|AC 15|CMD 16|Fort +7|R: +4|W: +4|Init: +0|Perc: -2|

Watching Baster fall in sleep, Endrian looks over to his companions "Well, that's our cue. I'll saddle him up if you want to start getting ready to go."

He then recovers his coin purse from the sleeping Baster and gives the bartender 20 gold pieces. "That should cover us for our night.

He then picks up Baster, throws him over his shoulder and leaves the tavern.

Once outside he secures Baster to his horse and readies himself while waiting for the others.


Urban Barbarian 1/Musket Master 2 (HP 31 | AC 20 | T 14 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | F +7 | R +5 | W +1 | Init +3 | Per +7

Still would like to hear Koldir's response to my question when he gets a chance, but...

Jevon will follow the others out of the bar, mounted on his new horse, adorned in masterfully crafted gear. Not half bad this...I might mistake me fer a noble. Heh. He seems to be immensely pleased about something on their way back to camp, although he remains quiet for most of the trip.

701 to 750 of 1,339 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Seekers of the Grail (Gameplay) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.