Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Sean's Master of the Fallen Fortress (Inactive)

Game Master osuracnaes


251 to 300 of 567 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Thank you Beckett, for the blessings of Milani.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf Spellblade / 1

Quartes stretches his muscles and thanks Beckett as well before following Noran over to the black altar to examine the scroll.

Spellcraft
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

@Beckett

Spoiler:
Ha!


The scroll on the black altar is shatter.

Just a reminder: you don't get to keep the scroll, but you can use it during the module (it is a level 2 spell though). There are additional rules for copying a spell into a spellbook that I can't remember right now.

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

Since the scroll is too high a caster level for a level 1, anybody trying to use it would have to make a caster level check to use it, but I think it would only be DC4. Probably only useful for learning the spell, unless we run into something that particularly needs shattering, and punching it won't do the job.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf Spellblade / 1

Quartes shares the discovery with the others, then walks to the white altar to examine the scroll there, as well.

spellcraft
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


The scroll on the white altar is a divine scroll of shield other.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

I can use both, but don't have a particular use for either. . . Also, in PFS do you require Focus materials for a scroll, or is that part of the "creating" of the scroll?

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

No components required for use.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf Spellblade / 1

Quartes looks at one altar, then the other. Well, I guess we can assume that whomever now calls this fortress his home is a worshipper of this two-faced god. The presence of the skeletons certainly points to its being evil; is there anything else we should take away from these altars? Filios, perhaps you could make certain there are no hidden compartments within?

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Filios nods and checks the altarts again for secret compartments.

No problem Quartes...I am on it.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


It seems like the altars are just large solid pieces of stone... no compartments or drawers.

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

No threats being evident, Noran begins a thorough top to bottom search of the room.

Take 20 on perception, 28

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

I'll go ahad and Detect Magic, again, and just keep renewing my Light. I guess Ill hold onto the scrolls, unless someone else wants them?


Noran:
In the middle of the northeast wall in the southern half of the chamber, you notice something off with the pattern of symbols and writings. Examining it more closely, you see a well-hidden secret door. One of the writings has a small hole which appears to be a keyhole on closer inspection.

Beckett:
Assuming you turn in each direction... As you face north, you sense the presence of magic. As you continue to focus and study the area, you learn that it is a faint conjuration (healing) aura, but the precise location isn't in this room. Even though there doesn't appear to be any way to reach it, it's coming from the northern wing of this floor.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

I feel, a disturbance in the, . . . that way. . . , pointing to the north wall. I fear some sort of dark force is srouding the surce. Like a wall. . .

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

"That way, huh? Hey, come look at this, I think I may have found the way to the rest of this level, it looks like there's even a keyhole in part of the writing. What do you make of it?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 1 Inquisitor
Beckett of the Bleeding Rose wrote:
I feel, a disturbance in the, . . . that way. . . , pointing to the north wall. I fear some sort of dark force is srouding the surce. Like a wall. . .

Hmm, I'll take a closer look, Beckett. Keep an eye out.

Jareth casts detect magic, along with going to the wall with the magic aura, and takes 20 on his perception check.

Perception 20 + 6 = 26

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Filios will also take 20 on a Perception for a 26 to determine if a mechanical device operates the walls at all.

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

Noran points at the door again. "Uh, guys, door here, with a hidden lock."


Jareth:
The magic aura isn't coming from the wall but from a room beyond the wall in the northern wing of the tower. It's a faint conjuration (healing) aura.

Filios:
You find the door Noran's been talking about.

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Filios examines the lock, and as he rubs his hands together, he says,

Alrighty, let's see what we can do...

Disable Device: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

Another lock, without a key. . . How do these goons travel between? Maybe that is the great mistery here. Maybe they are just trapped between two locked doors, and turned to , . . . um, um, . . . "not evil" dark gods as a way of getting out of their eternal torments here., just a little sarcasticly.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

Open says-ah-me. . . with a shrug. Ya never know


Filios's quick attempt at picking the lock comes close to unlatching the mechanism, but isn't quite enough to unlock it.

Don't forget you can take 20 to pick locks.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf Spellblade / 1

Quartes, considering himself fortunate not to have been charred to the bone, waits back behind the others, watching the professionals at work.

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Filios will take 20 for a 26 at Disable Device.

Bear with me all, this one is difficult...

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

Noran backs up to give Filios room to work, and covers him.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

Hey look, I found a key. . . Jus' kidding. . .

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Har...dee...har...har...

Filios sarcastically responds, rolls his eyes, and doubles his efforts.


Much like the locked door to the temple, it takes a couple minutes of concentration for Filios to figure out how to pick the lock. However, he eventually succeeds and the stone door can now be opened.

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Ok...there ya go Noran. I assume that you will lead the way.

Filios draws his Curveblade and prepares to enter after Noran.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

Surprize, surprize, I cast Light and start to head on up.

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

Noran follows the eager priest, bow at the ready.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


The door swivels open with a quiet sound of stone rubbing against stone. It opens to a view out of the ruined eastern wing of the tower. A larger portion of the floor has collapsed here, but enough of it remains to form a path to the northern wing.

As you get closer to the room, movement draws your attention upward. A living, moving fabric seems to cover the ceiling of this half-collapsed chamber, which stretches northwest into darkness. The pungent smell of ammonia rises from the droppings that litter the floor.

The location of the magic aura would have been near the western wall of this chamber.

Knowledge (nature) DC 12:
A swarm of bats calls the room home. Any movement or light might disturb them, and you probably won't be able to harm them with your weapons... you'd just be able to take out a few of the thousands of tiny creatures.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf Spellblade / 1

Quartes, knowing little of The natural world, merely covers his nose with an edge of his cloak. He keeps a wary eye on the roof as he scans all other aspects of the room, his sword out and ready.

Perception
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Great...Bats! I would suggest that we try to not disturb them.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

I'll try to cover my light and take a look for whatever was creating that aura.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 <Low-Light Vision>


Beckett:
You can barely make out a glass vial partially buried in the debris along the wall where you detected the magic aura. Marked with an X on the map.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

with soft whispers and a few signals, I'll try to indicate to the others that I see something in that area. I'll actually step back outside of the room for the moment, to discuse what we should do without risking the swarm.

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Filios whispers to the group, just outside of the room.

I could try to stealthily work my way to the object and back?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Vigilante-Priest 1

Are you confident in your abilities? I don't have much healing rain left, and I'm not sure we could take these bats. . .

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Very confident in my abilities! However, the real question is, is it worth it? How strong is the nature of the item you have pointed out?

GM Sean: Do the stairs continue up in the center? Are there windows to access the room closer to the object from the outside walls?


The stairs continue up to the fourth floor. The in-tact walls of the tower are featureless the entire way up. These siege castles are famous for having no indication of any way inside, including an absence of any windows or doors.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf Spellblade / 1

Quartes shakes his head, cursing. I have no magics that could take them all at once...we'd have a tough time cutting all of the little beasts down before they could overwhelm us. I do have a spell that could lift an item far away...if only I could get a little bit closer.

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Well, I either go get it myself, Quartes goes in and tries to magically grab it himself, or we move on. Anyone else with any bright ideas?

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

"Due to my darkvision, I don't carry torches, but if that's bats, I believe someone could burn them with a lit torch. My own oil flasks would work in a pinch as well, but I only have two, and getting them to ignite is not a sure thing like true alchemists fire."

The Exchange

Elven Rogue Swashbuckler/5; HP 38/38; AC 22; T 16 /FF 18 /CMD 18; Fort +2 /Ref +8 /Will +1; Init +6 ; Perc +10; Sense Motive +0

Good idea, Noran, but I am afraid we do not have enough fire to deal with so many.

@DM Sean: How many stealth checks to retrieve the item?

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

Not sure how much we're supposed to know IC about the nature of swarms in general, but OOC, 3 people with torches would probably put down a low level swarm in one or two rounds.


The item is 30 feet away, so you'd need 4 checks to get there and back.

Are there updated rules regarding torches? It looks like they do gauntlet weapon damage plus one point of fire damage. I think IC you'd recognize that weapons won't do much good against thousands of tiny creatures.

Silver Crusade

Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 1

Ah, yeah, I thought it was 1d6, not 1. And elemental damage is supposed to be 1.5x damage against them, unlike weapon damage which does nothing.

251 to 300 of 567 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Sean's Master of the Fallen Fortress All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.