Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

SeanDM's Return to Brim

Game Master Mur


301 to 350 of 848 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Changeling Artificer

Endurance check:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18 Ouch - 1 surge

Aurr makes his way to the north to get out of this crumbling cave!

Stats/HP:
HP 6/26 , Surges 4/8(minus 1), AP 0/1


Male Deva Invoker Level 1

Endurance check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14 dang it! -1 surge

As his companions move towards the tunnel entrance to the North, Atreos follows wondering what trials the gods have waiting for him ahead.

stats/Used:
Current HP: 10/24(bloodied], Surges 2/6(-1), Action point 0/1


Both Aurr and Atreos take off after the group, trying to get clear of the haze and dust. Everyone is coughing and gasping as dirt clogs their lungs -- each one tries their best to hold their breath, but the sudden gasps from everyone shows the energy they spent in the failed attempt.

Meanwhile, Rive seems transfixed. The horror of rats must be eating away at his wits. You've seen him throw himself headfirst into crazy orcs, but rats must be some deeper fear. As everyone runs for the exit, Rive stands holding the last healing potion, possibly contemplating his own mortality.


  • Aurr can make it to about H5 (or I3 if he runs), either spot allows him to get clear next turn (no need for another Endurance Check).
  • Atreos can only get to about G7 (or G5 on a run), either spot allows him to get clear next turn (no need for another Endurance Check).
  • Cog and Kat are noted in previous post.
  • Just waiting on Rive... (if Rive just double moves out of the area he can get to about H4 -- one check necessary, next turn he'll easily clear the zone, no second check necessary ----- UNLESS, he wants to search the room or use an action to look around for treasure, then we're talking additional checks)

    Endurance Check results shown below.
    INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
    Rive (Bloodied, near dead)
    Katsuye (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Aurr: (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Cog: (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Atreos (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Ouch - those were some tough rolls, A DC20 isn't easy to hit; you're just not ready to hold you're breath for very long I guess :/

    ***I still need saves from Rive and Katsuye (not related to your Endurance Check).
    SAVES REQUIRED FROM:
    Rive: ?
    Katsuye: ?


  • Male Human Level 1 Battlemind

    Back! Sorry -- got back Monday night, heading back tomorrow until Sunday. Grr. Argh.
    Endurance check:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
    OK, that looks like it saved. I've been a little bit out of touch -- but it looks like we're looking at getting out of here and taking a full rest, and that Rive can get out in a double move this round. Since he made the Endurance check, he'll hold onto the potion and use his full move to get out of Dodge -- to K1 or so. Did I read that right?


    Rive!! Good to have you back.
    You made your Endurance Check (so you are holding your breath just fine... you don't lose a healing surge).
    BUT
    You ALSO need to make a saving throw. (Katsuye missed that too).


    Female Revenant Assassin 2

    Sorry, I thought the Endurance thing was the save I needed to make.

    Save vs...
    1d20 ⇒ 17

    maybe????


    @Katsuye: no worries, easy mistake to make -- I'll be more clear next time. BTW: a 17 is certainly a good save - I'll fill you in more after Rive rolls.

    After one more round of stepping over loose stones and trying to breath through a cloud of dirt, the whole group makes it the northeast openning. The cavern narrows to a small passage that slopes down further into the Ironroot Mountains -- clearly this "hallway" was well used by the hundreds of rats you have now exterminated.
    You make your way a few feet into the "hall", just far enough that the dust and dirt from the cave-in no longer trouble you.

    You seem out of immediate danger and are now able to rest (Short Rest: all encounter powers are renewed, and you can spend any number healing surges).

    Endurance Check results shown below.
    Rive (Bloodied, near dead) (SUCCEEDED his Endurance Check!)
    Katsuye (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Aurr: (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Cog: (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Atreos (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)

    ***I still need saves from Rive***
    SAVES REQUIRED FROM:
    Rive: ?
    Katsuye: good save!


    Everyone gets: 145 xp

    @Katsuye -- in the bundle of torn cloth and various scraps, you find:

  • A pouch with the Karrnath Emblem on it -- it contains 50gp
  • A signet ring. History Check to learn more.
  • A bundle of papers -- though most are destroyed, there are a few pages still in one piece (some appear to be journal entries, others may be ritual papers? Religion/Arcana/Nature Check to learn more.)


  • The minute one of you looks to be settling down to sleep (for an Extended Rest - all hp and surges back, and dailies back), Kartus will protest.

    "This isn't some weekend camping trip!" Kartus has probably only seen 20 winters, but his voice cracks when he gets angry much like a young teen. "We don't have time to take naps whenever one of you gets a bruise... we have to press on!"

    If the loot from the cavern is obvious, Kartus will get even more excited... The Karrnathi emblem means that the missing emissary you were sent to find may be close.

    Theeb is a bit more of a realist. He straight-faced looks over the party, judging whether you can continue or not.

    What is everyone's status? After spending healing surges, how many do you have left and what is your current hp?
    Also, remember from the Ironroot Stew you will all get 3 temp hp to start the next encounter (unless you go to sleep)


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Kartus, it's easy to bark orders when you take no part in the battle! I earned these gray hairs by being smart, and the smart thing to do is to rest so we'll be ready to handle the rest of what we need to do. However, if you want to continue on your own don't let us stop you...

    Diplomacy
    1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

    we've gone through 2 battles without a full rest and I think we should suck it up now and get fully revived and then try to finish out the job at hand.

    *Katsuye*
    Please subtract 15 residuum from the community treasure for Cog's create campsite ritual, unless the rest of the group insists on taking a short rest only.


    Male Human Level 1 Battlemind

    Here's my save!1d20 ⇒ 18


    "Agh! The longer you sit here and rest your feet, the closer House Cannith's spies get to our goal. For Boldrei's sake, it's just past noon and you want to go to bed!?! I thought Tharashk was hiring real adventurers..." Kartus continues to try and push your group. (The diplomacy roll is exceptionally good, but in this case it will take more (perhaps additional successes from other party members, or some other incentive) -- his job/life depend on getting this mission through to the end).

    Theeb continues to try and judge the state of the group.
    Rive and Cog (EVERYONE, Really), what are your current HP and Surge statuses after the short rest and before the extended rest?

    Rive and Katsuye. As you catch your breath from the last fight, you see the bite marks from the Dire Rats is a bit puffy and warm to the touch. Clearly your body is fighting off some sort of infection from their bite. If a Dire Rat succeeds in biting you, you have a chance of contracting Filth Fever... since you both saved verse it, you are both safe - no worries, but now you know for the future.


    Male Changeling Artificer

    Current HP:6/26 , Surges 4/8

    I will use 3 surges to give me 18 HP back which will leave me with one healing surge left

    Aurr quest to find out more about House cannith gets the better of him and urges his companions to press on.

    "I agree with Kartus, House Cannith is never up to any good and I think we should press on but be more cautious about it"

    Stats/HP:
    HP: 24/26 , Surges 1/8, AP 0/1


    Male Deva Invoker Level 1

    Current HP: 10/24(bloodied], Surges 2/6(-1), Action point 0/1

    After using both surges for a total of an extra 10 HP which brings my total to 20 HP and NO surges left

    Atreos feels exausted and is starting to doubt if the gods want him to continue on this path.

    "I disagree Aurr. We must rest. Our deaths will be upon us if we do not do so."

    Stats/HP:
    Current HP: 20/24 Surges 0/6, Action point 0/1


    LOL -- I love that you argue with yourself. That cracks me up.


    Male Changeling Artificer
    SeanDM wrote:
    LOL -- I love that you argue with yourself. That cracks me up.

    Just trying to stay in Character!


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog has used his daily already.

    Kartus, taking a rest is not up to discussion, and I will walk away from this mission before I let a youngling such as yourself lead me into a short-sighted situation because of your own vested interests. I suppose to someone who only walks along behind the fight and then barks orders views resting as "resting ones' feet", however real adventurers like the rest of our group here need to rest in order to bandage the wounds of battle and ready their powers for the next fight.

    If the majority of the party feels confident in pushing on after a short rest and not taking a full camp I will push on, but to carry on without rest is not wise, unless there is something you're not telling us about the situation down here...?

    (after a short rest Cog is as follows)
    HP: 26/26 - Surges: 4/8 - Temp HP 3/3 - AP: 1/1


    Theeb looks over Atreos. Then to Kartus, "Shidoo, if you stay far from the fighting, I can instead use my skills to protect the Deva. If that will help the group move forward." Theeb will use Defend Another each turn to grant Atreos a +2 to all defenses.

    You realize you haven't heard Theeb speak much before. He seems easily capable of protecting Atreos. And willing to help the group push forward.

    I forgot: Everyone also earns another Action Point for the last fight.

    Still waiting to hear from Rive and Katsuye about being able to move on... it sounds like Cog and Aurr could go another encounter or two, but Atreos is suffering from lack of healing surges.


    Female Revenant Assassin 2

    In order to start at full health, I would need to use my last three healing surges.

    I pick some rat fur out of the tears in my leather and brush off the dust, taking a few deep breaths before spitting the grit out of my mouth. Although I stand and move about as if nothing is amiss, the astute eye would note that the shininess of my leather isn't a reflection of its newness but might be related to the rusty colored footprints I have been leaving behind.

    Kartus, I can understand your desire to push forward when it feels like your goal is so close at hand. In my line of work, being under- cautious can very well lead to mistakes and failure. I signed on to complete this task and I have no intention of failing. We did not find the emissary's corpse which leads me to believe that the intent is not to kill yet. Right now we have the advantage of knowing that, while our prey do not yet know much of us. This may be our only chance to regroup before pushing on.

    Diplomacy Check
    1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

    Of course, your opinion is the only one that counts in this case. You know more of our timeline than do I.

    Kartus is the boss and I would not go against his orders as much as I think we should stop and rest.

    Before putting the signet ring and papers into my bag, I would offer them for review by the group.

    Perhaps these will help?

    DM:
    I saw your note about Temp HP...is that assuming we used the second vial from the stash?

    Status/Used:
    HP: 24/24, Surges: 0/8, AP: 1/1

    Treasure:
    130gp, 100residuum, +1 leather to Katsuye, and a vial of one strange ironroot (we used the other one), a pouch with a Karrnath Emblem on it, a signet ring--History Check to learn more, a bundle of papers (some appear to be journal entries, others may be ritual papers?)--Religion/Arcana/Nature Check to learn more.)

    Player XP:
    230


    Male Changeling Artificer

    SeanDM can I offer a suugestion for a house rule? Could we trade in our action point for a healing surge if we so desired? I think that would work well without unbalancing the game so much? It also add to the false sense of security we have!!


    Aurr, that's an interesting suggestion! I read once on ENWORLD where someone had house ruled something similar (they also allowed another use of a magic item, back when those were limited...) -- It may have some consequences to resource management... I'm thinking it over.

    @Katsuye: The ironroot soup you ate earlier is a full-day effect. It lasts until you take an extended rest. So, you get +3 temp hp at the start of each encounter until you take a full 8hr rest. At which point you'll need to prepare and eat another soup (but that will be your last ironroot).

    Hmmmm.... still no word from Rive.


    I don't have a problem with each person in the group deciding whether to gain an action point or gain another healing surge. Theeb will still volunteer to protect whomever needs it.


    Male Changeling Artificer

    Aurr looks at his companions "Come on then lads, we should go! We shouldn't be behind House Cannith! Theeb can help give some cover to Atreos. This cave-in has annouced our arrival one way or another we are not safe. Our only option is to move forward! "Aurr looks at his friends wounds." Albeit we should move cautiously...."

    Once everyone is ready I suggest we move forward! Onward ho!


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Although I still think a full rest is wise, I'm feeling better now and am ready to push on if the group concurs.

    assuming our short rest is complete, Cog will concede to moving forward.


    Male Deva Invoker Level 1

    Atreos shrugs and says"May the gods be with us then!"

    He slaps Theeb on the back and does not leave his side.


    Female Revenant Assassin 2

    Ahem...does anyone with something in History want to take a closer look at the signet ring? Or perhaps a Religion/Arcana/Nature roll on the bundle of papers (some appear to be journal entries, others may be ritual papers?). I am likely to fail.

    I stand in front of Rive and wave my hand in front of his eyes.

    I start a small fire. I pull out my pack and set it on the floor. From it I produce steak, potatoes and various vegetables from which I whip up a lovely dinner. I pull out a nice dinner plate, silverware and silk napkin. I tuck the napkin under Rive's chin, put the fork and knife in his hands, hold the plate under his nose and wave it gently.

    Hello? You in there?

    I look at the group plaintively and shrug.

    Okay, let's proceed... Light?


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog was feeling so grumpy after dealing with Kartus that he completely forgot about the loot; very unusual for a halfling.

    Let me take a look at that Katsuye, I may have some insight.

    History on ring
    1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

    Arcana on papers
    1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


    GREAT Rolls Cog!

    Treasure:
    Ring: The ring is clearly a signet ring of House Cannith (you easily make out the metal gorgon's head). Generally worn by someone of importance. But the design and styling is odd/off... You would guess that this particular design is several hundred years old (not used anymore), but the ring itself doesn't appear to be that old (based on the wear and tear of the the object, you'd guess it no more than a few decades at most) -- (PS. it is non-magical and could be sold for some coin if you wish.)
    Papers: The papers are pages from someone's ritual book (you can tell from the quality of the paper and ink). It appears that the book also had some journal entries (which means they must be important if the author would waste space in a valuable ritual book). The journal entries will take some time to decipher -- they're in some shorthand and sloppy penmanship (during your next extended rest, you'll be able to make an intelligence check). ALSO included in the papers are the following:

  • The full rituals to: Animal Messenger and Tenser's Floating Disk.
  • Scrolls of: 2 scrolls of Water Walking
  • Several partial rituals, you can try to study them for fun, or if you had a full library at your disposal you may be able to reproduce them... they're worth keeping for a future time.

    Ritual Rules:

    Learning a new ritual (like, Animal Messenger):
    If you have the ritual caster feat (which three of you do), you can master a new ritual if you are the same level or higher -- it takes 8 hours to copy a new ritual into your ritual books, and 8 hours to master it (thankfully you can do both at the same time). There's no roll. You spend the time, you learn the ritual. You are all welcome to learn the ritual, it doesn't disappear after one person copies it.

    If it's a scroll, you cannot learn/master it. BUT you can cast it as long as you have the feat. The level of a scroll doesn't matter.
    So, any of the three of you can cast Water Walk, but you cannot learn it -- even if you were level 2 you would not be able to learn it (it's only a scroll and not the full ritual).


  • Let's keep the train a movin'
    Everyone needs to decide whether they want another action point or another healing surge (you can't go above your max).

    The group, a little dusty and weary from the last fight, agrees to move on. The tunnel continues deeper into the mountain. It seems to narrow a bit in the distance (maybe 40feet away), and it has a gradual slope down. Atreos and Theeb (the two tallest) will definitely have to start ducking, and eventually you may all be crawling (except Cog).

    I'm assuming standard marching order from before:
    Rive, Katsuye, Aurr, Atreos, Cog, Kartus, Theeb (ready to rush in to help protect the rear of the group as necessary).
    I'm assuming Aurr is holding the light as usual.

    Any thoughts?
    Or are we just running down the tunnel?

    (PS -- is someone going to carry Rive, he appears to be in the middle of some sort of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I guess the rats really did him in, most be a phobia. Even Katsuye's spur of the moment gourmet cooking couldn't revive Rive!)


    For Cog:

    Hey brother, can you email me?
    I don't think I have a recent email for you -- I tried one of the ones I have, but I don't think you got it.


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog opts for the healing surge as he still has his AP.

    Status:

    Daily used

    HP: 26/26 - Surges: 5/8 - Temp HP 3/3 - AP: 1/1


    Female Revenant Assassin 2

    I am going with the healing surge. I am ready to move on and will gladly wield Rive like a shield until he regains his composure.

    Status/Used:
    HP: 24/24 +3TH, Surges: 1/8, AP: 0/1

    Treasure:
    130gp, 100 residuum, +1 leather to Katsuye, and a vial of one strange ironroot (we used the other one), a pouch with a Karrnath Emblem on it, a House Cannith signet ring--(History Check), a bundle of papers (journal entries, rituals, scrolls)

    Player XP:
    375


    Female Revenant Assassin 2

    I would not run down the tunnel...not after the rats. I am stealthy and have low-light vision. I could take lead and try to watch out for traps and just hope that my acrobatics/reflexes will keep me out of trouble. I can always try to Shadow Step out of trouble.

    I signal for everyone to hang back as I move forward into the cave until I can find some kind of natural shadowing that allows for stealthing.

    Stealth Roll
    1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

    Dungeoneering Roll
    1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

    As someone who has come close to their disease is there any kind of bonus I can get...smell? :o)


    Male Human Level 1 Battlemind

    OK -- let me try to catch up :) First, Rive ended the last combat with 6 h.p. and 9 healing surges. He'll spend 3 during the rest, bringing up up to 30 h.p. and down to 6 surges. He'll take that extra action point. So his stats:

    HP: 30/33 Surges 6/13 AP 1/1

    Ready for the tunnel!!!!! Standard marching order's fine for me -- unless anyone else has suggestions.


    Katsuye is moving slightly ahead of the group (about 3-4 squares in front of Rive to stay at the edge of the bright light). The tunnel continues its downward slope, heading deeper into the mountains. It's not long until it becomes fairly cramped and packed with rat droppings. After what feels like a 100 feet or so, Katsuye hits a dead end.


    Male Deva Invoker Level 1

    Atreos looks off in the distance...after a few moments of silence he looks towards Aurr and ask: "Do you think she hit a dead end?"


    Male Changeling Artificer

    "Yep."


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog stands up on his tip-toes and stretches his arms up.

    whew, and I thought this was going to be tight in here! Kartus, what do you make of this? I thought you knew this was the proper entrance, are we missing something?

    Cog assumes Katsuye is the most capable at detecting secret doors so he will assist her in scouting the tunnel, especially since he has the best mobility.

    Perception/Dungeoneering on detection
    1d20 ⇒ 15

    If Insight is possible then add 5 to the roll

    HP: 26/26 - Surges: 5/8 - Temp HP 3/3 - AP: 1/1


    As for Kartus.
    (He sounds a bit sheepish in his response) "I don't have a map of the area, all I know is the detection ritual sent us in this direction... so there must be someway to get through."

    ---

    As for Katsuye.
    She is trained in stealth and combat, but simple things like dead ends must baffle her -- Cog, as you stretch around the group to get a better look you can tell there is a very slight gap in the bottom of the floor of the dead end (Katsuye's passive perception was not good enough to pick it up, but Cog's 15 on a perception check is).

    Also, a small amount of dim light seems to be leaking through the crack in the cave floor. The openning is about the width of a fist, and it's a wonder the floor did not fall out with Katsuye so near it.


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog will tell everyone to back up from the end so to not cave the tunnel floor in, and he will look through the gap to see if he can make anything out on the other side. If it goes down into another tunnel (small drop) then Cog will chip away at the hole until he can fit his head down and look into the tunnel. If it looks like a large drop down into another cavern, the Cog will suggest tying a rope around his waste and having someone hold the end while he chips away a big enough hole for everyone to fit down. Either way he will want to look inside before he makes a decision as to how to proceed. Let me know what checks if any will be applicable.


    The hole in the cave floor opens onto another tunnel (running perpendicular to this one).
    There is a light coming from the tunnel below you (off to your left there must be some sort of light source).
    It about a 10ft drop to the floor of the next tunnel.

    Same rules for the last time you had to drop down from a cave...:

  • If you just drop down, you'll take 4 damage and you will be PRONE.
  • If you're trained in Arcobatics (I think this is just Katsuye), you can make a check and reduce the damage taken (1/2 your check result is subtracted from the falling damage) - if you take no damage you land on your feet.
  • If you'd like to try to hang from the openning and ease yourself down, it's a DC 15 Athletics Check (you can do this even if you're not trained). If you succeed, you can drop the remaining distance and fall prone but take no damage, fail and your back to taking damage AS WELL AS being prone... if you beat the DC by 5+, then you're able to do a one handed hang, nearly touch the bottom, and land on your feet (no damage).
  • You're also welcome to try the rope idea; if you just hang a rope in the hole and use it to help you climb down, it gives you the following bonus: Athletics Check DC 10
    Succeed: you land on the bottom, no damage, and you're standing
    Fail by less than 5: You just wasted your turn, you can roll again, no penalty.
    Fail by 5 or more (ie you get a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 on your check): You fall, look back up at the first bullet for the results.
  • The hole is large enough for a giant rat to squeeze through, and you think you can pick away at the hole to enlarge it. (If you decide to pick away at it, let me know how you plan to go about it. There may be a roll or two.)


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog will stick his head down and look both ways down the tunnel. If there are no creatures he will proceed to chip away at the hole using his quarterstaff until it's big enough for everyone to fit down one by one. Cog will voluteer his rope, rig it up and tie it around his waste as a safety measure in case the tunnel floor caves in.

    Perception for scoping the tunnel
    1d20 ⇒ 4

    Cog perceives that is in indeed a tunnel


    Cog, you can't fit your head through without possibly falling through some loose stones (Bad perception check).

    I would assume you're banging away with care, so you don't accidentally trigger a cave-in and fall through.
    Cog: make a Thievery Check (to represent your careful movements in trying to open this floor up).


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog rigs the rope and ties it around his waiste with about 5 feet of slack, the best length he can figure, as a safety measure. He carefully uses his quarterstaff to start chipping the hole out. He will widen the hole on the oppositte side of where he's standing to minimize the chance of a cave in of the tunnel floor. Once he is sure the hole is big enough to fit his head through to look around he will do so, if he's not sure he can do this without falling through, he will then continue until the hole is big enough for everyone to fit down one by one, drop the rope down, and then climb down into the tunnel below.

    Thievery

    1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18


    Cog carefully chips away at the rock floor until the hole is wide enough for the armored-folk to fit through.
    Excellent Roll!
    You open the hole in the floor and avoid the "trap" (a bad check could have caused you and several others to go falling to the ground below).

    You're still left with getting down.
    Cog has a rope around him, so someone could lower him with a relatively simple Athletics Check - which anyone within reach of the rope could assist.
    The rest of you have to follow:

    The same rules for the last time you had to drop down from a cave:

  • If you just drop down, you'll take 4 damage and you will be PRONE.
  • If you're trained in Arcobatics (I think this is just Katsuye), you can make a check and reduce the damage taken (1/2 your check result is subtracted from the falling damage) - if you take no damage you land on your feet.
  • If you'd like to try to hang from the openning and ease yourself down, it's a DC 15 Athletics Check (you can do this even if you're not trained). If you succeed, you can drop the remaining distance and fall prone but take no damage, fail and your back to taking damage AS WELL AS being prone... if you beat the DC by 5+, then you're able to do a one handed hang, nearly touch the bottom, and land on your feet (no damage).
  • With a rope extended between the hole and the tunnel below (assuming Cog is in the tunnel below), it becomes an Athletics Check DC 10.
    Succeed: you land on the bottom, no damage, and you're standing
    Fail by less than 5: You just wasted your turn, you can roll again, no penalty.
    Fail by 5 or more: You fall (4 damage and you're prone).

  • Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog had tied the rope around him as a safety measure in case the floor crumbled, however now that the hole is big enough to fit everyone through alright, he will rig the rope inside the upper tunnel, drop it down to the lower tunnel and leave it in place so everyone can use it to climb down. He also offers to leave it in place in case we need to return this way and climb out. Cog will delay back into the marching order and climb down when it's his turn.

    Athletics check for descending the rope upon his turn

    1d20 ⇒ 5

    When it's his turn to climb down, Cog loses his grip descending the rope and falls prone taking 4 damage; he will use the rest of his turn to stand up.

    HP: 25/26 - Surges: 5/8 - Temp HP 0/0 - AP: 1/1


    Female Revenant Assassin 2
    Quote:
    When it's his turn to climb down, Cog loses his grip descending the rope and falls prone taking 4 damage; he will use the rest of his turn to stand up.

    If I am allowed to intercede, I would not want Cog to attempt this on his own - possibly falling and alerting more critters to our presense. I would try to help.

    I would wrap the end of Cog's rope around my waist, stepping on it with one foot and wrapping it around the opposite wrist in order to slow his descent. Hopefully Rive will step in to take lead and use me only as anchor.

    Athletics check
    1d20 ⇒ 9

    Sorry, buddy. Maybe Rive can help.

    After Cog is safely down, I would stand at the edge (backwards of course) and do a simple back flip down through the hole...landing gracefully.

    Acrobatics check
    1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

    I brush some dust off and take a look around to make sure it is safe for the others

    Perception check
    1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

    Seems safe enough to me. I would motion for the others to follow.


    Katsuye politely offers to help Cog down the tunnel, but then must not have the grip she thinks she does. (Katsuye's miss actually hurts the situation -- I suppose if Rive rolls well enough the -2 from "Katsuye's Help" can be overcome and Cog can be carefully lowered into the tunnel... that is if he doesn't mind hanging from the end of a rope like some sort of fishing bobber! It sounded like Cog was content to wait his turn at the back of the pack -- a 4hp doesn't hurt much when you have 3temp hp... and after a short rest to catch your breadth you'll get those back).

    Anyways, at some point Katsuye makes it down, easily and gracefully enough, and looks around. The most obvious thing (even with a poor perception check) is the tunnel continues in both directions and after about 20 feet either way it turns (so you can't see much down here). There is a light source down the left tunnel (after the bend).

    Everyone else?

    The same rules for the last time you had to drop down from a cave:

  • If you just drop down, you'll take 4 damage and you will be PRONE.
  • If you'd like to try to hang from the openning and ease yourself down, it's a DC 15 Athletics Check (you can do this even if you're not trained). If you succeed, you can drop the remaining distance and fall prone but take no damage, fail and your back to taking damage AS WELL AS being prone... if you beat the DC by 5+, then you're able to do a one handed hang, nearly touch the bottom, and land on your feet (no damage).
  • With a rope extended between the hole and the tunnel below, it becomes an Athletics Check DC 10.
    Succeed: you land on the bottom, no damage, and you're standing
    Fail by less than 5: You just wasted your turn, you can roll again, no penalty.
    Fail by 5 or more: You fall (4 damage and you're prone).

  • SeanDM wrote:
    ... I suppose if Rive rolls well enough the -2 from "Katsuye's Help" can be overcome and Cog can be carefully lowered into the tunnel...

    oops. Misprint: The fail on the Aid Another is only a -1. So, "Katsuye's Help" wasn't that bad :)


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Cog would not ask to be lowered out of pride, however if someone were to offer to lower him down, perhaps for an elevated view for his arcane prowess, he would accept.

    301 to 350 of 848 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SeanDM's Return to Brim All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.