Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

SeanDM's Return to Brim

Game Master Mur


251 to 300 of 848 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Male Halfling Warlock / 2

Cog has move 6 so he should be able to make it to D11 unless I'm miscounting the double movement squares. He'll end up in D11 if he can make it or E11 if not.


Those little legs can carry you 6 squares??!
Maybe 6 "halfling squares"... which at today's current exchange rate is about 5 squares I think. :D
lol Yeah, you're right. Cog should be at E11.
The rat will stay where it's at. But we'll move you in the correct direction.


Male Halfling Warlock / 2

Is that 6 half-squares so I'm actually stuck in the water? hehe


Male Human Level 1 Battlemind

Okey Dokey. Rive will move to F9 (he can't shift because of the rocks, right? If he can, he will, if not, he'll suck up the attacks of opportunity). He will then hit Swarm 2 with Vicious Cobra Strike 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 Argh. He will then Augment Battlemind's Demand again, marking Swarm 2 and Dire Rat 1. The first one that attacks and hits Katsuye will get Mind Spiked. (We hadn't taken a full rest, right? If we had, I will change that attack and use my Ardent Surge on Katsuye instead. But I'm pretty sure we hadn't).
Current h.p. 15 -- ( 14 + 4 for ending my turn near a swarm)
Flee, Katsuye!


@Rive: Since the square you are moving to is not difficult terrain, you can shift there. The reason you couldn't shift diagonally before was you had to go around a physical corner.
You're allowed to attack diagonally around a corner (with a -2penalty), but you can't move diagonally around a corner --- one of those odd rulings in the PHB.
ALSO Were you at full health when combat started? If so, I have you at 17hp, if you were down some then your total makes sense.

Rive shifts and commands the attention of the pea-brained rodents.

Katsuye's coming up... then a new map


Female Revenant Assassin 2

Rats, why did it have to be rats?

My surprise at the appearance of the filthy creatures is only slightly outweighed by my surprise when the vile things find every miniscule gap in my armor.

I am actually at -1HP right now...bleh

As I weave dizzily on my feet, there is just enough time to pull at the string of shadows and I disappear...reappearing next to Cog and placing an additional shroud on the Dire Rat behind me.

Unnatural Vitality to use Shadow Step to D10
Assassin's Shroud on DR1

Death Saving Throw
1d20 ⇒ 11

Conscious for now!

Status/Used:
HP: -1/24, Surges: 5/8, AP: 0/1

Treasure:
80gp, 100residuum, +1 leather to Katsuye, and a vial of one strange ironroot (we used the other one)

Player XP:
230


Katsuye, I forgot that you weren't at full health at the start of the fight. Remember if you hit -12hp (your bloodied value), you're dead-dead, but if you get some healing it's as if you are at zero before you heal - no matter how negative your total is.

Rive, you are sure you see Katsuye take a mortal wound. You've seen veteran soldiers fall dead from less, but her eyes seem to glow a brigher red and she seems more upset at the inconvience rather than being any closer to death. In a blink, she teleports through the shadows to safety, while the shadows continue to collect around Dire Rat1.

Map Info:

Water = difficult terrain (at least, there may be deeper parts you cannot see)
Brown (Dirt floor) = normal movement
Cream/White (Rock) = if it fills the square, you cannot enter it -- Rocks block all line of sight and line of effect
Dots (loose rock) = difficult terrain
Orangish Dots indicate marked by Rive.
Red Dots indicate bloodied enemies (bloodied players are NOT indicated)
Remember that you can walk on and through a swarm, but is considered difficult terrain.

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 11
Dire Rats: unknown
Giant Rats: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 12

SWARMS! If you END your turn NEXT TO or IN the rat storm you take 4 damage and the swarm can shift as a free action. ALSO the swarm can occupy your square - you can walk on its square, but it is considered difficult terrain.
INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Swarm1: (Bloodied, near dead)
Swarm2: (marked by Rive)
Rive (Bloodied?)
Katsuye (Should be Dead) Dazed
Aurr: +1 AC (TEoNT), (Bloodied)
Giant Rat2 (minion)
Cog: concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Dire Rat1 (marked by Rive) (2 shroud)
Dire Rat2
Giant Rat5 (minion)
Giant Rat6 (minion)

Aurr you're up...

<< New MAP >>

I'm not sure how often he's checking, and I told him I could post his action for him rather then him worrying about it (he's on vacation)... so, I'll give him a bit to check and then I'll just post for him


ATN asked if I would post for him...

Aurr empowers his armor throwing off the last of the rats swarming over him.

Standard action: Thundering Armor on self... Aurr gains +1 AC till the end of his next turn and he makes a secondary attack vs the Swarm1 trying to finish it off: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 vs Fort, hit for: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 -- which should be enough to kill off that swarm!
move action: shift to D13

Aurr is out of main healing. He's got a daily that he could spend on Katsuye, he could use his action point to help, someone could try a diplomacy check to get Kartus and Theeb's butts in here to help (they do have that extra healing potion still).


Aurr explodes the last few rats clinging to him with a thunderous discharge. (Swarm1 is dead). An ominous sound starts to crack through the cave. and pebbles and stones begin to shift...

Rat2 takes a small chunk of flesh out of Aurr:
Giant Rat2 Bite vs Aurr 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17, hit! 4 damage

Total Damage
Aurr: 4

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 11
Dire Rats: unknown
Giant Rats: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 12
SWARMS! If you END your turn NEXT TO or IN the rat storm you take 4 damage and the swarm can shift as a free action. ALSO the swarm can occupy your square - you can walk on its square, but it is considered difficult terrain.
INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Swarm2: (marked by Rive)
Rive (Bloodied?)
Katsuye (Should be Dead) Dazed
Aurr: +1 AC (TEoNT), (Bloodied)
Giant Rat2 (minion)
Cog: concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Dire Rat1 (marked by Rive) (2 shrouds)
Dire Rat2
Giant Rat5 (minion)
Giant Rat6 (minion)

Cog you're up...
(no new map yet)


Male Halfling Warlock / 2

Cog shifts to *C11* and points his staff at Giant Rat 6. A ball of dark crackling energy builds around the end of his staff and then pulsates at the rat.

Eldritch Blast vs. Reflex
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Damage
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

After the rat falls dead on the floor Cog uses Warlock's Curse on Giant Rat 2.

*Cog calls out to Kartus and Theeb to assist Katsuye with the remaining healing potion!*

Diplomacy
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

HP: 24/26 - Surges: 8/8 - Temp HP 0/0 - AP: 1/1


Rat6 is dead!
Cog, don't forget when your cursed target dies you gain a +1 to any d20 roll till the end of your next turn... should be nice when that minion bites it

Before the rat in front of him is finished sizzling, you hear Kartus and Theeb making their way through the tight cave openning (Cog, your natural 20 from earlier gives you a bit of a bonus when asking for help... your 11 is good enough :) ).

Atreos coming up


Atroes's Turn

Katsuye gave me a consultation on this one, and we decided Atreos would help out the mass on Rive -- they're grouped so nicely for an area attack!

A blank look crosses Atreos's face as he summons divine power and directs it at the mass of rodents surrounding Rive. Lightning showers the cavern.
Standard: Vanguard's Lightning on Rat5, burst 1. Attack rolls:
vs minion Rat5: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 vs Ref, hit!
vs Swarm2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 vs Ref, *miss*
vs Dire Rat1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 vs Ref, *miss*
vs Dire Rat2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 vs Ref, hit!
each hit is for 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8 damage (and if Dire Rat takes an Opportunity Attack, it will take 1hp damage)

Move: Move to F13 to help Aurr out (and maybe give that rat a different target)... besides, if the rat hits him, he can use Armor of Wrath.


Kartus and Theeb drop down from the cave openning ready to move and help Katsuye with their last healing potion (1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 Athletics to get down -- they're down safely). Meanwhile, the Dire Rats close in on Rive. A thick saliva drips from their jaws, and their eyes have an unnatural gleam to them.

Dire Rat1:
Bite vs Rive, 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 vs AC, *miss*

Dire Rat2:
Shift one square closer to Rive (G10)
Bite vs Rive, 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 vs AC, *miss*

At the end of the round...
You have been hearing grinding and cracking from the cave for the last few seconds. Your combat has destablized this chamber and all of a sudden the cave's ceiling erupts into a shower of large stones and gravel crushing everything below it. TRAP! The trap goes off as shown in the initiative. It makes an attack vs each creature in the red zone (burst 3, centered on the big Dot), and the zone is now difficult terrain. It will last for another 1d4 ⇒ 2 rounds.
Trap vs Swarm2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 vs Ref, *miss* BUT the trap still causes half damage: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 6) + 2 = 12... = 6 damage (+5 for their vulnerability to area attacks).

<< New Turn: ROUND 5 >>
The swarm of rats shifts out of the trap zone into Rive's square, and the dozens upon dozens of little rats begin trying to find opennings in Rive's armor.

Swarm2:
Shift into Rive.
Bite vs Rive, 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 vs AC, hit!1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 Yikes! max damage

Total damage:
Rive: 13 (he's near dead!)
Swarm2: 11

Map Info:

Water = difficult terrain (at least, there may be deeper parts you cannot see)
Brown (Dirt floor) = normal movement
Cream/White (Rock) = if it fills the square, you cannot enter it -- Rocks block all line of sight and line of effect
Dots (loose rock) = difficult terrain
The RED ZONE is the Trap! It is now difficult terrain.
Orangish Dots indicate marked by Rive.
Purple Dots indicate cursed by Cog.
Red Dots indicate bloodied enemies (bloodied players are NOT indicated)
Remember that you can walk on and through a swarm, but is considered difficult terrain.

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 11
Dire Rats: AC: 13 ... Fort: 15 ... Ref: 11 ... Will: 11
Giant Rats: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 12

SWARMS! If you END your turn NEXT TO or IN the rat storm you take 4 damage and the swarm can shift as a free action. ALSO the swarm can occupy your square - you can walk on its square, but it is considered difficult terrain.
INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Swarm2: (marked by Rive)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead)
Katsuye (Bloodied, should be dead), Dazed
Aurr: +1 AC (TEoNT), bloodied
Giant Rat2 (minion) (cursed by Cog)
Cog: concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Kartus & Theeb (Healing potion in hand, heading for Katsuye unless told otherwise)
Dire Rat1 (marked by Rive) (2 shrouds)
Dire Rat2
CAVE-IN! (1st attack)

Rive you're up...

<< New MAP >>


Don't forget about your Second Wind -- it gives you a healing surge and a bonus to your defenses. Sure it will take you out of combat for 1 round (unless you use your action point), but it's better than being taken out for the REST of the combat.


Male Human Level 1 Battlemind

Rive scans the field of battle -- not especially promising. He bites down on the disgust he feels as the rats swarm over him, tries to ignore the thousand little daggers of their teeth on his flesh. He knows if he strikes now he may not strike again, and he knows if he flees the swarm he'll leave the way open to Katsuye, who lives, but just barely. He needs to hold -- but to hold, he needs to catch his breath
Rive takes his Second Wind -- +8 hp= 10, -4 for standing in the Swarm, so current hp 6. I believe he used is action point in the first encounter, so that's all he can do except Battlmind's Demand on the Rat Swarm -- as usual, he'll Mind Spike it if it attacks Katsuye.

Could use a little help here. If anyone's free. Whenever it's convenient.

He does still have a Daily that'll let him spend a healing surge -- but if possible I'd like to hold onto that. Getting the swarm off him would be very helpful, if anyone has a ranged attack that might do it.


Swarms can't be pushed or pulled... you might consider shifting a square away (the swarm square is difficult terrain, but the square you shift into wouldn't be) You'll still take the 4hp, but it will allow someone to target the rats without ALSO targeting you :)
And yes, I've got that you used your AP last combat.
Good news with the Second Wind, you gain +2 to all defenses, really boosting your AC -- it's not unhittable, but it'll be tough for the rats.


Female Revenant Assassin 2

I lean against the ragged wall, closing my eyes and whispering something...the shadows seem to pull in from the cracks and mist around me.

Kartus, Theeb, if I still stand after this please hold your healing in case Rive is overwhelmed before we can help him.

Assassin's Shroud on Dire Rat 1
Nightmare Shades on Dire Rat 1 triggering all 3 shrouds and also using Dark Reaping

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 vs Will
Damage
2d8 + 4 ⇒ (1, 3) + 4 = 8 Nightmare Shades
1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 Dark Reaping
3d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 5) = 11 Assassin's Shrouds x3

With a satisfied hiss I watch as the shades twist and turn over the big rat--hearing is shriek in pain.

Death Saving Throw
1d20 ⇒ 11

I wave off Kartus and Theeb

Status/Used:
HP: -1/24, Surges: 5/8, AP: 0/1

Treasure:
80gp, 100residuum, +1 leather to Katsuye, and a vial of one strange ironroot (we used the other one)

Player XP:
230


25 damage in one shot! Niiiiice. Unfortunately, the dire rat still clings to life -- it's close to death, but it still limps about.

Kartus looks confused. Heal Katsuye, don't heal Katsuye...
But Theeb understands the situation. He knows the need to keep Rive standing.

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 11
Dire Rats: AC: 13 ... Fort: 15 ... Ref: 11 ... Will: 11
Giant Rats: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 12


SWARMS! If you END your turn NEXT TO or IN the rat storm you take 4 damage and the swarm can shift as a free action. ALSO the swarm can occupy your square - you can walk on its square, but it is considered difficult terrain.
INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Swarm2: (marked by Rive)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead)
Katsuye (Bloodied, should be dead), Dazed
Aurr: +1 AC (TEoNT), bloodied
Giant Rat2 (minion) (cursed by Cog)
Cog: concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Kartus & Theeb (Healing potion in hand, heading for RIVE)
Dire Rat1 (Bloodied, near dead))
Dire Rat2
CAVE-IN! (2 more remain)

It's Aurr's turn, but I don't remember when he's getting back in town... I'll give him a chance to post if he's around, otherwise the DM Assistant will post for him.

RIVE = you do still have a move action if you want to shift/move away from the swarm -- it would give Atroes a chance to use his Area of Effect spells on the Swarm.


Male Human Level 1 Battlemind

Yes, Rive will shift please! He'll go to E9, still hoping to stay between the Swarm and Kastsuye -- will still mark, and will still Mind Spike should the swarm attack anyone else.


Aurr says he'll check in once the jet-lag wears off... so we'll wait for him to post.
The Map hasn't changed accept, Rive is now at E9, and only the swarm is marked


"The Map hasn't changed accept, Rive is now at E9, and only the swarm is marked"
That should be... the map hasn't changed except Rive is now at E9. :P


Male Changeling Artificer

Standard action: Aurr will use Thundering armor on Giant Rat 2 that is sitting at E 13. I don't have anywhere to shift to that will prevent the opportunity attack so I will just try to finish this thing off.

Attack Dice: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 I will give myself the + 1 AC bonus

Damage roll:1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Assuming that I didn't die from the attack of opportunity from the giant rat I will just stay where I am. I have no more actions points and I am out of healing so not much use from here. I will drop the sunrod and finally load my crossbow.

Hopefully Atreos can mop up some more afterwards!

Stats/HP:
HP 6/26 , Surges 5/8, AP 0/1


No worries, close bursts don't cause Opp Attacks. Only distance attacks (Ranged or ranged bursts/blasts).

Aurr's thunderous spell squishes the last of the rodent minions.

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 11
Dire Rats: AC: 13 ... Fort: 15 ... Ref: 11 ... Will: 11
Giant Rats: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 12

SWARMS! If you END your turn NEXT TO or IN the rat storm you take 4 damage and the swarm can shift as a free action. ALSO the swarm can occupy your square - you can walk on its square, but it is considered difficult terrain.
INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Swarm2: (marked by Rive)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead)
Katsuye (Bloodied, should be dead), Dazed
Aurr: +1 AC (TEoNT), Bloodied
Cog: concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Kartus & Theeb (Healing potion in hand, heading for RIVE)
Dire Rat1 (Bloodied, near dead)
Dire Rat2
CAVE-IN! (2 more remain)

Cog, you're up (and your cursed target just died).
Map's the same except, Rive is at E9 and the giant rat at E13 is dead


Male Halfling Warlock / 2

Cog uses Shadow Step and moves below the pool to *H12*; gaining concealment until the end of his next turn. He eyes Dire Rat 1 hoping to finish him off. He points his staff at the rat as dark crackling energy builds around the end. Cog utters some words and a bolt of the energy pulsates towards it.

Eldritch Blast vs. Reflex
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Damage
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Cog places Warlock's Curse on Dire Rat 2

HP: 24/26 - Surges: 8/8 - Temp HP 0/0 - AP: 1/1


The dark energy from Cog staff burns a hole clear through the Dire Rat. It twitches a bit and falls dead with a wet flop.

Map Info:

Water = difficult terrain (at least, there may be deeper parts you cannot see)
Brown (Dirt floor) = normal movement
Cream/White (Rock) = if it fills the square, you cannot enter it -- Rocks block all line of sight and line of effect
Dots (loose rock) = difficult terrain
The RED ZONE is the Trap! It is now difficult terrain.
Orangish Dots indicate marked by Rive.
Purple Dots indicate cursed by Cog.
Red Dots indicate bloodied enemies (bloodied players are NOT indicated)
Remember that you can walk on and through a swarm, but is considered difficult terrain.

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 11
Dire Rats: AC: 13 ... Fort: 15 ... Ref: 11 ... Will: 11

SWARMS! If you END your turn NEXT TO or IN the rat storm you take 4 damage and the swarm can shift as a free action. ALSO the swarm can occupy your square - you can walk on its square, but it is considered difficult terrain.
INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Swarm2: (marked by Rive)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead)
Katsuye (Bloodied, should be dead), Dazed
Aurr: +1 AC (TEoNT), bloodied
Cog: concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Kartus & Theeb (Healing potion in hand, heading for RIVE)
Dire Rat2 (cursed by Cog)
CAVE-IN! (1st attack)

Atreosis up...

<< New MAP >>


Male Deva Invoker Level 1

"By the Gods! These vermins shall perish!"

Standard Action: Atreos will use Vanguard's Lightning on Swarm 2!

Attack Roll:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 VS Reflex Yes that is a hit!

Damage Roll: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 dang it! that was a low roll...

Atreos will just stay where he is at. Don't see a reason to move

Stats/used:
Current HP: 10/24(bloodied], Surges 3/6, Action point 0/1

Edit: Changed my attack to Vanguard's lighting. I think I just got the names confused. Sorry about that!


I think Astral Wind is a close blast 3 (which right now can't hit the swarm)... meaning you'll have to move closer AND be careful not to catch Kartus and Theeb in the shot.
You could switch it to Vanguard's Lightning. This would let you hit both the swarm and the Dire Rat (both are area of effect spells, so they'll do the extra damage to the swarm).
Besides, you can't push the swarm anyways, so the Astral Wind isn't that huge of a benefit.


Male Deva Invoker Level 1
SeanDM wrote:

I think Astral Wind is a close blast 3 (which right now can't hit the swarm)... meaning you'll have to move closer AND be careful not to catch Kartus and Theeb in the shot.

You could switch it to Vanguard's Lightning. This would let you hit both the swarm and the Dire Rat (both are area of effect spells, so they'll do the extra damage to the swarm).
Besides, you can't push the swarm anyways, so the Astral Wind isn't that huge of a benefit.

Ooops! I updated the wording on my post. Do I roll a separate attack for both targets?


No worries.
Yes, roll attack for each target (1 damage roll, multiple attack rolls)
So we need another roll for the Dire Rat.
PS... that damage on the swarm severely bloodies the swarm -- it's close to the "near dead" status.


Male Deva Invoker Level 1

Here is the second attack rolls! I will remember to roll for all tragets next time!

Second Attack Roll vS Dire Rat 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 VS Reflex

Second Damage Roll1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Lightning blasts the swarm destroying most of the rats in the group (badly bloodied). The dire rat seems to shrug off the damage and it's beedy eyes look for a new target (It's still not bloodied)...

NPC/Enemy turns coming up soon -- I'll post it when I get home tonight.


Kartus and Theeb shift away from the dire rat. Kartus tosses Rive his last potion, while Theeb wirls his blade keeping Kartus protected (Standard Action: Aid another's defense).

The last dire rat moves about the cavern and quickly scans the room looking for the most easily vulnerable target... It locks eyes with Cog seeing him almost all by himself. Then it charges. This Dire Rat is the size of a dog, nearly eye-level with Cog, and it rushes towards him like a ball of fur, teeth, and bone, saliva spewing off as it charges, and even Cog's cloak of shadows can't prevent the impact.
Dire Rat1:
Move to H9
Charge Bite vs Cog, 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 6 + 1 - 2 = 17 vs AC, hit! 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Meanwhile rocks and debris continue to rain down in the cavern kicking up dust and smoke. No one is near the danger zone, but the air in the cave begins to cloud up (the trap will create a cloud of concealment that will spread out in the chamber, right now, only the trap zone provides concealment).

<< New Turn: ROUND 6 >>
The swarm of rats continues its attack on Rive. Surging back over him, covering him (with as many rats remain), and looking for the little holes that it already created in his armor.

Swarm2:
Shift into Rive.
Bite vs Rive, 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 vs AC, *miss*

Total damage:
Cog: 14 (he's bloodied! -- and now no one feels left out)

Map Info:

Water = difficult terrain (at least, there may be deeper parts you cannot see)
Brown (Dirt floor) = normal movement
Cream/White (Rock) = if it fills the square, you cannot enter it -- Rocks block all line of sight and line of effect
Dots (loose rock) = difficult terrain
The RED ZONE is the Trap! It is now difficult terrain AND provides concealment (partial if one square in, total if more than two).
Orangish Dots indicate marked by Rive.
Purple Dots indicate cursed by Cog.
Red Dots indicate bloodied enemies (bloodied players are NOT indicated)
Remember that you can walk on and through a swarm, but is considered difficult terrain.

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: AC: 15 ... Fort: 13 ... Ref: 15 ... Will: 11
Dire Rats: AC: 13 ... Fort: 15 ... Ref: 11 ... Will: 11
Giant Rats: all dead

SWARMS! If you END your turn NEXT TO or IN the rat storm you take 4 damage and the swarm can shift as a free action. ALSO the swarm can occupy your square - you can walk on its square, but it is considered difficult terrain.
INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Swarm2: Bloodied! (marked by Rive)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead)
Katsuye (Bloodied, should be dead), Dazed
Aurr: +1 AC (TEoNT), bloodied
Cog: (Bloodied) (concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Kartus & Theeb (+2 defenses)
Dire Rat2 (cursed by Cog)
CAVE-IN! (1 attack remains)

Rive you're up...
PS - you now have a healing potion in hand, it takes a Minor Action to drink it (you spend a healing surge, but instead gain 10hp). You can use it or bet on the combat finishing off before you do.

<< New MAP >>


Male Halfling Warlock / 2

I didn't mind being left out!

*Bloodied*
HP: 10/26 - Surges: 8/8 - Temp HP 0/0 - AP: 1/1


You can't fault the rat, you look like a scooby snack to him! (Actually, the rats are programmed to attack lone targets whenever possible.... but "snack food" works as well, lol).


Female Revenant Assassin 2

I signal to Rive to let me step in for a moment.

I resign myself to the inevitable and pull the darkness from the falling debris and settle it over the swarm before trying to skewer whatever I can reach.

Assassin's Shroud on the Swarm

Shadow Storm on the Swarm plus invoking the Shroud
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16 vs AC
Damage
1d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 (+4 +2 for each creature next to target)
1d6 ⇒ 5 (shroud)

Death Saving Throw
1d20 ⇒ 20

woot!! woot!!! I am ALIVE! DM, let me know if the swarm lives and I will subtract 4 from my current HP

Status/Used:
HP: 6/24, Surges: 4/8, AP: 0/1 - used my Encounter Powers Dark Reaping and Nightmare Shades

Treasure:
80gp, 100residuum, +1 leather to Katsuye, and a vial of one strange ironroot (we used the other one)

Player XP:
230


Katsuye knows death is upon her and still slices out at the swarm. She cuts through enough of the tiny rats to disperse the rat-mob, and the surge of victory brings her back from the brink of death.

WOW! A 20 on the death save! Nice roll and a free healing to boot! You're now fine, still bloodied, but no longer dazed and no longer dying. Great roll :)
The swarm had 7hp left, your brave attack in the face of death does 16/2 = 8hp, just enough to kill the swarm and avoid taking the damage.
Swarm2 is DEAD! whohooo!

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: all dead
Dire Rats: AC: 13 ... Fort: 15 ... Ref: 11 ... Will: 11
Giant Rats: all dead

INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead) *turn delayed*
Katsuye (Bloodied)
Aurr: +1 AC (TEoNT), bloodied
Cog: (Bloodied) (concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Kartus & Theeb (+2 defenses)
Dire Rat2 (cursed by Cog)
CAVE-IN! (1 attack remains)

Rive might be out of communications for a bit, so we'll delay him. Aurr, feel free to take your turn.
Map is the same, except that the swarm is now dead.


Male Changeling Artificer

"Prepare to be exterminated!!"

Standard Action:Aurr will use Aggravating force on Dire Rat2.
Attack Roll:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17 VS AC. Looks like it might be a hit!

Damage Roll: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

I will stay at the same spot for the moment as well.

After getting a good shot on the rat, Aurr contemplates the cheesiness of his battle cries and looks to his companions with an inquisitive and hopeful look.

Stats/HP:

HP 6/26 , Surges 5/8, AP 0/1


The bolt screams from Aurr's crossbow and explodes with force on the dire rat (It's now bloodied). The shock of the attack makes it easier to hit the creature.
Aurr, your spell grants a +2 to the next ally that attacks that target

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: all dead
Dire Rats: AC: 13 ... Fort: 15 ... Ref: 11 ... Will: 11
Giant Rats: all dead

INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead) *turn delayed*
Katsuye (Bloodied)
Aurr: (Bloodied)
Cog: (Bloodied) concealment (-2 to be hit)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Kartus & Theeb (+2 defenses)
Dire Rat2 Bloodied! (cursed by Cog)
CAVE-IN! (1 attack remains)

I think Rive is out of communications for a bit, so he's delayed. Cog, feel free to take your turn.
Map is the same, except that the swarm is now dead.

Remember the next person to attack Dire Rat2 gets a +2 to hit from Aurr's spell!


Male Halfling Warlock / 2

[ooc]Cog shifts back to *H13* as he twirls his staff over his head creating a cirlce of crackling blue energy. He then swings the staff down and points it at the Dire Rat as the circle of energy funnels down into a stream and then rains over the dire rat.[ooc]

Eldritch Blast vs. Reflex

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

damage (including curse damage)

1d10 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 4 + (2) = 8

HP: 10/26 - Surges: 8/8 - Temp HP 0/0 - AP: 1/1


Purplish energy sears the rat, but it still clings to life and can't wait to take a bite out of the little halfling (Good hit, and the rat is near dead).

Enemy Defenses:

Rat Swarm: all dead
Dire Rats: AC: 13 ... Fort: 15 ... Ref: 11 ... Will: 11
Giant Rats: all dead

INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead) *turn delayed*
Katsuye (Bloodied)
Aurr: (Bloodied)
Cog: (Bloodied)
Atreos (Bloodied)
Kartus & Theeb (+2 defenses)
Dire Rat2 Bloodied! (and near dead) (cursed by Cog)
CAVE-IN! (1 attack remains)

I think Rive is out of communications for a bit, so he's delayed. Atreos, we're back to you -- feel free to take your turn.
Map is the same, except that the swarm is now dead, and Cog has shifted one square.


Male Deva Invoker Level 1

Atreos turns his steely gaze towards the last remaining Dire rat.

Standard Action: Atreos uses Vanguard's lightning on Dire Rat2
Attack Roll:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 versus Reflex. Hit!

Damage roll:1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 Not Bad! Hope that kills him!

Atreos will stay where he is for the moment.


The bolt of divine power that Atreos calls down splits the dire rat in two.
BUT! We're not out of combat yet
The caven-in trap triggers one more time, but no one is in the zone to take damage.

<< New Turn: ROUND 7 >>
The cavern continues to fill with smoke, dirt, and dust, making it harder and harder to breath. There are three apparent exits:
- You can go back the way you came (though Kartus would argue against that)
- There is a tight passageway to the northeast that should lead to less dusty rooms
- You can wait for the rocks to settle and see if they have openned up a new passage (though waiting in this room is going to be tough...)
...
And now that the rats are all dead you do see a pile of cloth and rags in the northwest corner of the cavern...B5

If you choose to stay in this room you have to make an ENDURANCE check:
DC 20 first round.
DC 25 second round.
DC 30, 35... you get the point.
* If you fail, you lose one surge. When you are all out of surges you take 1hp per round.

YOU CANNOT STOP TO REST UNTIL YOU ARE OUT OF THIS ROOM *AND* OUT OF COMBAT

Decisions/Thoughts?

INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
Rive (Bloodied, near dead)
Katsuye (Bloodied)
Aurr: (Bloodied)
Cog: (Bloodied)
Atreos (Bloodied)

SAVES REQUIRED FROM:
Rive:
Katsuye:

<<Newest Map>>


Male Changeling Artificer

Aurr shouts "we have to get out of here before this cave crumbles on us!"

I humbly suggest we all head through the cave opening because it is obviously getting more and more dangerous here. I mean we barely survived rats!

Aurr thinks to himself that he must survive long enough to find his father and make House cannith pay for their crimes.

When its Aurr's turn he will run and use any movement action he has i.e. Double move etc. to get to the cave opening


Male Deva Invoker Level 1

"Hmph" Atreos monosylabic statments reflect his current attachment to this plane. Still he has the gods work to do here so he looks at his fellow party members for guidance unlike the overly zealous Aurr.

Atreos will most likely vote for the cave exit but he will follow everyone direction even if it is staying in the cave.


Male Halfling Warlock / 2

Aurr, by the cave opening are you referring to the way we came in or the tunnel in the North end of the cave? We definately need a full rest and I think we should go wherever will best accomodate this. Unless Kartus has a large amount of healing potions he's not telling us about we need a safe place to camp. I can perform a safe camp ritual to disguise our camp.

*DM*
How much work would be involved in using the rubble to block off the tunnel opening from the cave? i.e. how big is the opening? If we could block it off it could make setting up a camp in the tunnel a bit safer leaving only one direction to guard.


Confused a bit by the wording too... sorry.
There is a ton of loose stone and rock that could easily be used to block up one of the passages in or out of the place.
There are two clear ways in and out of here.[/list]

  • The northeast passage (around J1, K1, L1) -- this was the direction you would think leads to your destination, it goes deeper into the mountains, and could easily be blocked up (though you'd want to be on the otherside of the map, so you're not blocked in with the choking hazard).
  • The tunnel from the ceiling --- this leads back out into the open (the orc camp). It may be tough to get everyone back up into the tunnel, and defending a campsite in the open may be harder. BUT, you would be free and in the clear. And have better visability. [/list]
    Most of the dust and smoke will clear out through the ceiling (like a chimney), the room should eventually settle down and clear out. Eventually. For now though, it's not safe.

    You're free to keep discussing a course of action, but remember if you stay in the cave very long (like trying to search the cave, or if you can't run across the rubble fast enough), you'll have to make endurance checks.
    You need to get to get past K1 to be "safe"


  • Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    My general thought, although open to suggestion, is to bararcade the North tunnel with us inside the tunnel. This will let the cavern air out and provide only one side for us to protect while getting a full rest in. After we rest we can open the tunnel back up in case we become in need of a quick exit and search the cavern. If someone does come across the cave opening and looks down inside, the cave in would actually be a bit of a blessing in that it will most likely cover up any traces of the battle that had ensued and if someone takes the time to drop down they won't see any tunnels out of the cave. If they know the area already then it's on but it may at least protect us from wandering sorts. Food for thought any way.


    Female Revenant Assassin 2

    I would agree with Aurr and Cog, signaling for everyone to head for the cave exit (deeper in the cavern, not up and out). As they start to head off, I would veer to the left and stop at B5.

    Endurance Check
    1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

    Poo...down one surge.

    What does the pile look like? I don't think of rats as booby trapping types so if the pile looks interesting and portable, I would gather it all up in my arms as I make a dash for the opening next turn. If it cannot be moved, I would take the time for the rest of this turn to search through it for anything worth taking with us. Let me know what rolls you want to see for that.

    Status/Used:
    HP: 6/24, Surges: 3/8, AP: 0/1

    Treasure:
    80gp, 100residuum, +1 leather to Katsuye, and a vial of one strange ironroot (we used the other one)

    Player XP:
    230


    Male Halfling Warlock / 2

    Since the majority of the group is in favor of moving into the tunnel Cog will head into the tunnel and start barracading the tunnel entrance unless there are objections. Once everyone is inside he will continue until finished. Once finished Cog will perform the create campsite ritual.

    Possible checks if necessary (if someone has a higher skill level in Athletics then Cog would assist. If anyone else has ritual casting/Arcana/nature then I think they can assist me with the ritual)

    Endurance vs. debris
    1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

    Athletics for building barracade
    1d20 ⇒ 2

    Nature check = stealth check for the campsite (ritual)
    1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


    Unless you have a special ability that lets you get through difficult terrain, it looks like each of you will have to spend at least one more turn in the choking hazard before you can get clear to the tunnel in the north.

  • Katsuye would've stopped at B6 to get the pile, she'll have to try and get out next turn (no need for another Endurance Check).
  • Cog would've stopped around G5 if he used a double move, or I3 if he used a double run... either way he'll be able to get to safety next turn (no need for another Endurance Check).
  • Everyone Else: Make sure you roll your Endurance checks! (DC 20 for one round in the cave).

    Katsuye makes her way through the dust and debris to the pile of cloth and rags (you scoop it up and begin to make your way out -- I'll let you know what you find when you are free of the cave). Cog begins to move to the north exit readying to seal yourselves in and camp.

    Does anyone else want to make a stop in the cave before trying to get out? Search a particular area (the pools in the room)? Maybe gather up rat corpses for a necklace? ... whatever it is, it will probably delay your leaving for another turn - requiring ANOTHER Endurance check (at a harder DC: 25).

    Endurance Check results shown below.
    INITIATIVE (bold shows who's turn it is)
    Rive (Bloodied, near dead)
    Katsuye (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Aurr: (Bloodied)
    Cog: (Bloodied) (Failed Endurance Check, -1 surge)
    Atreos (Bloodied)

    SAVES REQUIRED FROM:
    Rive:
    Katsuye:
    ***I still need saves from Rive and Katsuye (not related to your Endurance Check).

  • 251 to 300 of 848 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SeanDM's Return to Brim All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.