Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Sardaukar's Legacy of Fire

Game Master Sardaukar


4,701 to 4,750 of 7,327 << first < prev | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Following the inquisitor's lead the paladin motions for the rest of the group to accompany them.


Male Human (Keleshite) Sorc (Efreeti) 11 l AC 23(ff21/t14) l F7 l R7 l W9 l HP(76) I
DM Sardaukar wrote:


Efreat: With your knowledge of the plane of fire and the denizens that reside there, you recognize the Efreeti commander as the efreeti warlord Jhavhul who, according to legend, was imprisoned centuries ago in a world beyond the world. The name rings a bell from your reading of the book Courts of Stone and Flame. It describes Jhavhul as a shamed member of the Efreet nobility of the City of Brass, a famed location on the Plane of Fire. It suggests that he ventured to the Material Plane in search of an army and a legacy to raise his standing, during which time he and his armies warred against the Templars of the Five Winds, but that he was never seen in the City of Brass again.

As Efreat calms himself, he turns to the others to advise them of whom the brute was that saluted them on the way in. "Jhavhul, it was Jhavhul..."


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

As Efreat explains what he knows of the Efreet Jhavhul, Hazreem frowns. "So he was the one who brought us here? Is it possible he was imprisoned here and we unwittingly freed him?"

Scarab Sages

Bahir clenches his jaw at the mention of Jhavhul's name a second time. As he continues to follow Daumari, "It was against Jhavhul and his forces that Vardishal himself fell, outside of Kelmarane. This is not a good sign."


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

"I dearly hope such a being was not actually trapped in this place; if it were the case, and this Jhavhul could not engineer an escape of his own, our chances of escape would appear to be exceedingly small." The inquisitor continues to look toward the hut, though his stride seems to lengthen slightly as he speaks.


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP56/67 | AC (29)21 T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9R9W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted
Daumari wrote:
"...Enjoy your planar wonderland, Priestess."

Mah'ysa was left astonished for long moments, missing the discussion about Vardishal altogether as she reacted to Daumari aparently blaming her for the situation the company found themselves in.

She racked her brains for the perfect comeback.
"Thank you! I will!" Is what she ended up saying.
She looked around for some place to stomp off to, but there was no other place but the hut. So she trailed the others as they made their way to the hut, still steaming.


As the tension rises between the Dawnflower's faithful, Daumari heads off towards the stone hut with everyone following. But before you reach the hut, yet another creature comes climbing out of the water to greet you. This time it is a large sea turtle. It slowly climbs up onto the beach as fast as its large flippers can carry it, landing about a dozen or so feet down the beach in the direction you are headed. It stops and stares at you as you approach.


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

Daumari halts in mid stride and returns the turtle's stare. After a few moments the inquisitor tilts his head to one side, a motion mirrored by the giant creature.

I sense a kindred spirit. Can we keep him, Hazreem? I'll take good care of him, I promise. I'll polish his shell once a week. I'll make sure he gets plenty of food. I'll tell him stories each night and take him for walks in the surf each morning. He'll be my BFF forever, or at least until the rations run out; I'll name him "Emergency Soup."


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

"Mah'ysa, Daumari was making a joke...I hope so anyway..." Hazreem tries to calm the priestess down. Still, this place is anything BUT a wonderland!

When the giant sea turtle makes an appearance on the beach, Hazreem waves the others away. "Let me talk to him..." He approaches the sea turtle non-threateningly.

Wild Empathy 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 8 + 1 = 20; takes 1 minute.

Emergency Turtle Soup...PRICELESS! LOL!! OK Daumari, but YOU will clean up after him. And NO sticking the droppings in Mah'ysa's pack either!

Scarab Sages

How many things are going to come out of the water at us? he thinks while giving the turtle a calm studying stare. Wait a second, a joke? Hmmm, must of missed it? Momentarily distracted from his turtle study he glances back at Mah'ysa, "Is everything alright Radiant One?"

LOL, turtle soup. Reminds me of a situation in the Kingmaker game I am currently running where a turtle named Crackjaw had grown to huge proportions by making its lair in the runoff from a star-shard that had fallen nearby. A little nod to our earlier Second Darkness campaign. They killed it, took it back to the city, made turtle soup out of it, and had a celebration. That is until everyone started falling ill from the infected meat and turning into void zombies...ahhh, the fond memories I have of their zombie infested brothel...

Scarab Sages

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Pae sits in the shade of the hut..

"Well this is all very pleasant..multi headed beasties aside..but what do we do now?"


The giant turtle cocks its head at Daumari, then turns and looks at Hazreem as he approaches. The druid and the sea animal seem to have a long staring contest as Hazreem tries to make friendly contact with the turtle. After about a minute, the turtle turns and looks in turn at Bahir, Mah'ysa, and Efreat, then Pae sitting over by the hut. It then turns back to Hazreem and Daumari and starts heaving, it's body pulsing as it regurgitates a small cylinder onto the sand. Turning away, it starts to head back towards the water.

Bahir wrote:
the fond memories I have of their zombie infested brothel...

I don't think I want to know. Keep your necrophiliac fantasies to yourself... :)


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreen glances at the others, a confused look on his face. He reaches down to pick up the cylinder and cleans it off as best he can. He then scans it for any clues as to its purpose.


Picking up the cylinder, you inspect it. It appears to be a really small scroll tube that can be opened on one end.


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

Daumari continues to stare at the turtle as it retreats into the surf. The inquisitor absentmindedly raises an arm to wave at the creature as it disappears from view.

SOUP! Come back!


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem casts Detect Magic on the scroll, and assuming it is not magical, proceeds to open it up.


As the turtle disappears into the water, you scan the scroll case. A faint transmutation aura is emanating from it.

Scarab Sages

Bahir stares after the retreating turtle and then meets Pae's gaze as if to say, "Are you seeing this too?!"


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP56/67 | AC (29)21 T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9R9W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted
Bahir wrote:
"Is everything alright Radiant One?"

"Fine." Mah'ysa groused, arms tightly folded while she glared at Daumari's back.

Curious as to what the cylinder was she came closer to peer at it.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

"Mah'ysa, would you care to examine this scroll, I found an aura emanating from it." Hazreen asks, pointedly ignoring her glare.


Spellcraft DC23:
The contents of this tiny scroll appear to be under a spell to shrink them down to fit inside, such as Shrink Item.

After a brief examination, Hazreem opens up the scroll case and empties the contents into his open hand. First to roll out is a small blue egg with brown spots on one egg. You immediately realize that the egg is bigger than the scroll case it just came out of, having no way without breaking the egg to put it back in. Looking inside the case, you see a small rolled parchment which you easily pull out with a finger.

Unrolling the parchment, you notice that it feels weirdly cool to the touch. Once unrolled, the parchment seems rather large for the scroll case it just came out of. Written on the parchment in common are the following words:

Long ago, visitors to these islands received a greeting from the Imprisoner. You shall receive the same.

"Greetings and welcome, brave hunters, to the Serpent Isles. Here you will find a hunt to satisfy your thirst for challenge, danger, and adventure, a tale to be told as you relax at the Pleasure Palace. Your task is simple: you must hunt down the Golden Ram and take its horn. There are many challenges to be faced on these islands, but only by sounding the ram's horn can you call back the ship that will bear thee hence. Do not think to cheat the hunt, as the Golden Ram is under my protection; this is a test of skill and skill alone, of courage and cunning, not raw power. One ram's horn you must sound and present to the boatman to gain passage. The other horn is yours to keep, as a trophy and reward for your daring. May Fate smile upon you and guide your aim."

The Imprisoner is gone now, but his world remains. A world we created. You have only just arrived but we must know if you are ally or enemy, capable or inept, complete the Imprisoner's task and we shall have a greater one for you, one to help fulfill your heart's desire. Give this egg to the boatman, and he will bring you directly to us. We have much to discuss.

This letter is not signed.


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP56/67 | AC (29)21 T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9R9W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Mah'ysa says a brief prayer to the Dawnflower; Touch of Good +4 for good luck.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 4 = 19

"Clearly a marvellous enchantment, but I fear I cannot tell anything more about it. Hunt the Golden Ram? How can we do this on a series of islands?"


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Spellcraft 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Hazreem grunts, "Nice trick." Turning to the priestess, he adds "Good question, Mah'ysa. This note doesn't have much in the way of instructions. We don't even know what sort of creature this Golden Ram is. Still...it's either that or spend the rest of our lives here eating turtle soup."

I was hoping to get a turtle soup reference in, he he.


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP56/67 | AC (29)21 T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9R9W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Hazreem, add +3 for a Touch of Good from Mah'ysa. (She's not mad at you, you know...)

Scarab Sages

Male Halfling Rogue 11

that would give Hazreem a 21 and Mah'ysa could use her roll as an assist to take it to 23


Male Human (Keleshite) Sorc (Efreeti) 11 l AC 23(ff21/t14) l F7 l R7 l W9 l HP(76) I

Efreat looks at the scroll and casts his detection spell.spellcraft1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
"A ponderous riddle but I do not know the magic."


As you ponder the received message, you make your way to the stone hut. This small domed building looks to be crafted of polished yellow marble and alabaster. The wide arched entrance seems to welcome you inside the building that is big enough for all six of you to easily fit inside with plenty of room to spare. The marble trim is exquisitely carved with almost a noble feel to it. Inside are several benches on either side of a large basin against the far wall. Near the open archway, you notice several pegs mounted into the wall as if something might hang from them. But currently, the pegs are empty.

Outside, a short stone pier heads out over the water. But the last several feet of the pier is crumbling, blackened, and ruined as if the end of the pier had been burned away by an impossibly hot fire.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem strokes his scraggly beard, trying to understand what the purpose of the hut is. "Hmmm, is this place supposed to be a resting place while we hunt this Golden Ram?"

He looks around the hut looking for any clues as to its origin. Perception 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (15) + 16 = 31


Bahir, Efreat: This whole strange place gives you an uneasy feeling, as if there is something rather chaotic about it. You both receive a -2 penalty on all Charisma-based checks while in this world. This is an alignment based effect.

Hazreem: You don't find anything else of interest while looking around the structure, but the architecture of this place seems very Nexian in origin. The place doesn't look like it has been used in a very long time as numerous small and harmless spiders and other insects have populated every corner and edge within this place. It could use a good cleaning. There is only entrance to the place and walking around the outside doesn't give any indication that there is anything hidden. The only other openings are smoke holes near the top of the dome.

Scarab Sages

Bahir looks at the pegs and then out along the pier, "Maybe this was a place they went swimming." He raises an eyebrow at the druid, "I am surprised you are so ready to go hunt anything as magnificent as a golden ram. Of course, it may be our only was out of here but I am not sure I am willing to take a turtle's word for it." He gets a big grin and continues in an over dramatic serious tone,"This doesn't have anything to do with the great turtle and ram conflict does it? I'd hate to take sides in that." His attempt at levity doesn't quite cover the fact that this place greatly troubles him.

Scarab Sages

Male Halfling Rogue 11

"Aye Bahir..the king of the Rams and the Queen of the Turtles have obviously been at war for centuries..but as I see it we have two choices..stay here till we die of old age or do what this message says."


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

"I dislike being led by the nose like some beast of burden, but I believe Paellat speaks the truth. I have no desire to remain here, no matter how, pleasant a place this may seem, which leaves only this Rsm." Daumari straightens up and walks to the pier outside, kneeleing down to thoroughly examine the structure.

Perception Take 20 = 20+16 = 36


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP56/67 | AC (29)21 T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9R9W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

"Well if what I remember of that map was any indication, we are on an island. Let's find out how big it is and what else may be present; hopefully no more hydras."
She looks around for the highest point she can see within a mile.
"Up there. Let's go see!"

She will wheedle someone to go with her.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem nods in agreement with the Dawnflower. "Seems like a good idea to me, get a sense of this land. I will go with you Mah'ysa." He glances at the others, "Anyone else tagging along?"

No Diplomacy check needed, he he.

Scarab Sages

"You needn't have asked Radiant One. Of course I will happily accompany you."


Looking inward towards the jungle, Mah'ysa decides to go for a hike with Hazreem and Bahir tagging along. (I'm assuming the party is not splitting up and everyone is going.)

Leaving the beach behind, you enter the thick foliage of the jungle. Plants and flora of all kinds surround you as various kinds of snakes and other serpent like creatures scurry out of your way or watch you from tree branches above. It is difficult to see anything above as the trees provide a thick canopy blocking the sky above. Thick mist seems to form in the air with water droplets forming on all the leaves near the ground and there is a general dampness in the air. You don't seem to be gaining much in the way of altitude as you spend over an hour rising up and down low hills.

Soon the sound of water is heard ahead. And as you find yourself approaching the bottom of a cliff. As you part through a grouping of trees you see long waterfall before you. A narrow path of water drops hundreds of feet onto a pile of rocks before flowing away in a small stream that heads back the way you came. A barely visible rainbow shimmers in the mist. The land around you is strikingly beautiful.

Off to the side, you are able to find a not-so-difficult way to work your way up towards the top of the waterfall, moving more inland and away from it as you do so. You travel for another hour or two over rolling hills filled with large tree roots and fallen moss-covered trees, damp leaf-covered soil, and various flowering ground-cover plants.

After about 3 hours since you left the pier, you find yourself at high rocky clearing, looking out over the vast jungle before you. It looks like the jungle continues in this direction for at least another 10 miles before an expansive sea of water continues to the horizon. The jungle landscape continues as far as you can see to your left and right, and actually appears to curve around on both sides, almost meeting at the horizon. It is as if the sea before you is a giant circle almost completely surrounded by land. On the right side of the horizon, over the crescent land that meets it there, it appears as if the sky is darker in an otherwise clear blue sky. It doesn't appear to be dark clouds but more like black smoke way off in the distance.

Behind you the other edge of the island is visible, also about 10 miles or so away. A relatively narrow channel of water cuts in from the shoreline, but you cannot see how far it goes as the tree tops before you block your view.

Scarab Sages

Just happy to be sitting and catching his breath after the three hour hike in this heavy armor Bahir admires the vista, and here I thought the splintmail was heavy...


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem is silent all during the hike, although judging by the look on his face he is clearly enjoying this part of the island. Once the group has reached the top of the clearing, Hazreem points out the smoke off in the distance. "That is the only signs of...civilization we have seen, other than the hut. We should check it out. Maybe we can get some clues as to what this Golden Ram looks like."


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

Daumari maintains his usual composure, but beads of sweat running down his face betray his exertion over the past three hours. "When walking through the wilderness in this way, following the direction of one attuned to its whims is often the best course of action." He nods to Hazreem in agreement, though the inquisitor's voice wavers slightly at the thought of extending their trek.

Scarab Sages

Glancing wearily at the black smoke, "Or it's the volcano we almost fell into on our passage here."


"Snakes...why did it have to be snakes" Pae mutters as he treks through the jungle glad of his companions presence

Sorry guys I just had to channel Indiana Jones there

At the vantage point he sits and mops his brow.."More walking?.."he asks of no-one in particular "We don't want to be spending the night in this jungle do we?"


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

I think it is only late afternoon at this time. Correct me if I am wrong, DM Sardaukar.

Hazreem wipes his brow, "Yeah, I don't think we'll make it before nightfall....assuming the sun rises and sets in this place as it does on Golarion."

Survival chek to find a good campsite and food for the group. 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (16) + 17 = 33


It's going to be a busy weekend for me, so I don't know if I'll be able to post until Sunday night. In the meantime...

It is about mid-Afternoon, the sun in the sky seeming to following the pattern you'd expect on Golarion. As Hazreem begins looking for a good campsite, everyone make perception checks...

Scarab Sages

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Perception1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Perception 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36

Scarab Sages

Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

Resting with his eyes closed Bahir doesn't notice much of anything...


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

Perception 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 25


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP56/67 | AC (29)21 T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9R9W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Tired and soaked with sweat, Mah'ysa nevertheless takes time to admire the scenic vistas.
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13


Rolls:

Efreat Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6

As Hazreem begins to move off to look for a good spot to camp, his attention is immediately drawn to the four large beasts off in the distance to the west, flying on a collision course with your position. They look like strange beasts with a vaguely humanoid head, the body of a lion, and with wings of a dragon. Swinging behind them as they flap their large wings are long tails that end in long, sharp spikes. They don't appear to be friendly as they close to about 225 feet.

Knowledge(Nature) or Knowledge(Arcana) DC15:
These are Manticores, fierce predators that like fresh meat, any meat, though they prefer human flesh! They have powerful claws and teeth. Once a creature of magical origin, they have since established themselves as a natively occurring species.

Knowledge(Nature) or Knowledge(Arcana) DC20:
Beware their tail spikes! They can launch a volley of spikes from their tails from long distance.

You find yourself somewhat exposed up here on the rocky top of the island mountain ridge. The nature of the ground is not the best for combat as you could easily twist and ankle in all the holes, cracks, and gaps. Treat everything here as difficult terrain.

Init Rolls:

Bahir: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Pae: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Efreat: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Daumari: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Hazreem: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14
Mah'ysa: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Beasts: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Round 1 - Hazreem, Pae, and Daumari get to act in first round. Everyone else can act only in subsequent rounds for not noticing the incoming beasts.

Map Link (The beasts are not currently on the map, they are ~225 feet from Bahir off the left edge of the map, coming in a formation where each beast is about 20 feet apart.)

Current Status:

Hit Points (Remaining/Max):
----------
PCs:
Mah'ysa 52/52
Bahir 69/69
Daumari 66/66
Hazreem 74/74
Paellat 62/62
Efreat 59/59
NPCs:
None

Damage:
None

Conditions in effect:
----------
None


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

"Manticores. More of Nex's long-forgotten pets, I imagine." Daumari quickly strings his bow, draws an arrow, takes aim at the approaching creatures, and releases the bowstring.

MW Composite Longbow 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19; Damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
I'll fire at the rightmost manticore. A -4 penalty due to the increased range (3 range increments distance) has already been factored into the above attack roll.

4,701 to 4,750 of 7,327 << first < prev | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Zoomackulas's Legacy of Fire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.