Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Sardaukar's Legacy of Fire

Game Master Sardaukar


3,601 to 3,650 of 7,198 << first < prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | next > last >>

"Wait, hold on." the man says quickly to Efreat's comment., "I can be of service to you. Do you need an extra swordsman? I could work for you! My services are real cheap!"

As the paladin shrinks back down to his original size and several other incantations fade away, Garavel steps up to the group. With his usual emotionless tone of voice, "We'll set up camp on the far side of the oasis. But we should not waste any time, the sunlight will be fading soon." Glancing back, you see that two of the pactmaster guards are leading the camels down to the water while the third is moving the wagon around to the side of the pool, the old man and the first prisoner Radi still in the back. As the wagon turns, your stash of gear in the back taken from the House of the Beast becomes visible to the group. "That's a lot of stuff." says the new prisoner.


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

As his sight return, Daumari bows in thanks to Mah'ysa. "Bahir is right; know that you will hold a special place in my prayers when I greet the Goddess each morning, even should our paths part."

---------------------------------------------------

The inquisitor nods at Garavel. "Of course. I believe this man when he states this attack was intended as retribution for our raid against the Carrion King; the beastmen declared as much when they appeared over the dunes. That said, we remain a tempting target. It would be best to be settled before nightfall."

Osirion

Bahir moves quickly to assist in setting up camp.

Ready to move on. He will use Zone of Truth on the man (does he have a name?) in the morning to verify his story. If it checks out he has no issue with having a extra swordarm around as long as Garavel is ok with it. If not, than he will remain unarmed for the remainder of the trip. He will also warn the man to stay clear of Radi as he is poor company to be keeping if he is hoping for redemption and wants to avoid the Katapesh stockade.


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Mah'ysa gets very red in the face and mumbles something like; "Thankyousverykindly" then rushes off to busy herself elsewhere.


Done with the interrogation for now, Bahir gives the man a quick warning about Radi and asks his name. "You can call me Gib" he says and acknowledges the paladin's warning. He seems to be accepting of his fate.

With the camp preparations complete, you set up your normal watches for the night. The air gets cold out here in the desert when the sun drops below the horizon. But morning comes again without incident, the glowing orb in the sky quickly warming the place up.

After spending his morning in prayer to the Dawnflower, Bahir rises and finds Gib still under watch by the pactmasters. He willfully submits to his truth zone and repeats basically what he said the day before. Some of the jobs he did for the gnolls were somewhat questionable in their nature that he masked or glossed over a little the first time. But overall, it is the same.

I will fast-forward to your arrival in Katapesh later tonight...


With the two prisoners secured, the camp was broken down by Garavel and his men while the Knight Protectors did their morning rituals. Once everyone was ready, the caravan set out on its final day of their journey across the vast sands.

It is another long, hot day of travel with only a quick stop in the vast nothingness for water and other personal business needs. But around mid-afternoon, you come over a large dune to see a sight like no other. Way out on the horizon, you see not sand but water. And between the sands and the sparkling blue of the Obari Ocean sits the massive sprawling city of Katapesh, the peaks of thousands upon thousands of buildings are visible above the high, protective wall surrounding them. The caravan comes to a halt while everyone looks on. Garavel stops the wagon next to you and says, "Welcome to the second largest city in the entire Inner Sea region. It is the central hub of all trade in the region and the greatest marketplace in all of Golarian. Here you can buy anything, from the mundane to the exotic. It is the bazaar of the bizarre. But just remember the golden rule. Do what you will, but do not interfere with trade." He urges his camels on and the wagon begins moving forward once again. You do the same and you head towards the walled city. (There is a crude map of the city in the front cover of the Player's Guide.)

When you finally approach the city wall, you notice that the city starts well before you even reach the wall. Numerous vendors line the road and the surrounding area in front of the large entrance to the city within the wall. As you approach, merchants immediately begin spouting their sales pitches, trying to get you to buy whatever hat, jewelery, or clothing they are hocking. Strange artifacts and boxes. Even a water dealer willing to fill your waterskins for just a copper. Hundreds of people are bustling about. The crowds seem even thicker inside the gate ahead.

You dismount your camels and instead lead them by hand. "This is known as Dawn's Gate, the northwest corner of Katapesh and one of only two entrances" states Garavel. "I can lead you to Rayhan if you'd prefer. But he lives on the opposite side of town, just outside the city wall along the coastline. We could cut through the city and go back out the other gate, but it may be quicker just to follow the wall around on the outside to get there. Less crowded."


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

"Let's follow the wall around. I like it less crowded."


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem looks at the seemingly limitless throngs of people, and feels very out of place, not to mention an acute case of agoraphobia.

"Yeah, I agree with Mah'ysa here."


Correction: There are three gates into Katapesh. The main Dawn Gate to the northwest where you are standing now, then two more where the Scorpius River enters and exits the city wall to the west and south. These are the Serpent Gate and Twilight Gate, respectively.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

"Ah Katapesh..where you can buy anything you can imagine..and a good deal more that you couldn't possibly dream off..or want to in some cases. I'll have to look up some old friends while I'm here."


As you look up upon the 40 foot sandstone wall surrounding the massive desert metropolis, you notice it is topped by ramparts and interspersed with crenellated towers. What seems like a small army of veiled guards patrols the walls and towers, intently watching all that takes place below. Garavel notices your interest and interjects, "Those are the Zephyr Guards, the pactmaster elite soldiers. They keep a watchful eye over the entire city."

But then something else, much more disturbing, catches your eye. Gnolls! A whole group of them. But they seem to be peaceful and minding their own busines. They seem to be... shopping. Then, you see another. Wait, that one isn't shopping, he's the merchant. As you start to look around, you notice there are dozens of gnolls. Garavel and the guards don't seem to be bothered by it though.

As you start leading your camels south around the outside of the of the city with one of Garavel's guards driving the wagon while the other two watch from behind keeping an eye on the two prisoners, you notice that the amount of development on this far side of the wall is rather extensive. Permanent building have been erected here, including small warehouses. Though the buildings are falling apart having seen better days. After passing by a jumble of decrepit warehouses and office buildings, you go past a tall, ramshackle building that appears to be the backside of a tavern. The front of the building obviously faces the main part of the town as you go around the less dense outside. The small sign over the back door is not in a language that most of you are familiar with. A pair of gnolls walk out of the door, but walk right past you without issue.

Paellat and Daumari:
You recognize the words over the door as gnoll. It reads, "The Rabid Dog"

Garavel notices your discomfort with all the gnolls. "Many gnolls come to Katapesh to do their trading. All races are welcome here, as long as they don't cause any problems. This area outside the Dawn Gate is known as Dog Town for obvious reasons. Most of the gnolls in the city reside here." You had kept moving while you were talking. Suddenly a rather unpleasant odor strikes your senses as you pass another building, like that of burning flesh. You look over to see the back of some other business. A bloody cart is parked in the back of one of them with what looks like a human arm hanging over the side of it. "But if you're hungry, I'd suggest going to a different part of the city to get something to eat." he adds.


Pae shrugs.."We won't cause trouble if they don't..but lets get out off here as fast as possible.huh?"


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

"There is more here than I remember..."


As you continue onward, the density of the shops and other buildings thins out, but never really ends before it picks back up again. But at least the numbers of gnolls that you see does die off. Ahead in the distance, you see another opening in the large sandstone wall. Numerous Zephyr Guards man the wall towers watching down to those that enter and exit. The structures here seem a little less permanent, but in considerably better shape. And the clientele more of your liking. In other words, no or very few gnolls. One tent among the sea of tents and other rooftops here catches your attention as it is black and purple striped.

As you get closer to the gate, which Garavel mentions is called Serpent's Gate, you realize a small to medium-sized river transverses straight through the shops. A bridge crosses over the river allowing you to get to the vendors on the other side. Those with a basic geography knowledge of Katapesh would know that the Scorpius River winds through the city.

Looking down the river as you prepare to cross, you see the river flows right through Serpent's Gate. Small boats move up and down the water while others walk into Katapesh through the gate on the road next to it. The sounds of a young boy is hearing crying out, "Come see the legendary smoke lady. She can see into your future. Come and see for yourself. Get a glimpse into your future." You see a small boy sitting on a stool in front of the striped roof tent urging every passerby to partake in their services.

After you cross the river, you pass a small stable filled with various camels. A sign above the entrance states, "Alssen's Camels". In smaller print underneath it reads, "Camels, Saddles, and Riding Gear".

Osirion

Bahir watches the gnolls warily, matter-a-fact he seems to be trying to watch everyone warily, he sighs to himself shaking his head and mutters, "Felt safer in Kelmarane, you could see your enemies coming." Addressing Garavel, "Let us divest ourselves of Radi and then find a secure place to lodge." As to Gib he finds himself wanting to let the man go, perhaps he was getting soft...there's just been too much blood and death and the man seemed on a path to redemption no matter how tenuous the first step was. Distracting himself from his dark thoughts and the unwholesome environs of the gnolls, he would every once in awhile appreciate just how the sun made her face glow in its rays.


When you crossed the bridge, there was sign next to it that stated, "Broke Plank Bridge". Down river towards Serpent's Gate, there was another bridge with plenty of pedestrian traffic crossing it.

Garavel responds to Bahir statement with one of his own. "The River Inn is a rather nice establishment down in the Sprawl area, which is just ahead the way we're headed. The sprawl is a prominently residential area just outside the Twilight Gate and is along our way to Rayhan's villa. We can stop there if you'd like. It would be good to find a place to off-load your...", he pauses for a seconds before finishing, "stuff." With reference to the prisoners, "I could take Radi and the other man into custody for you and deliver them to the city authority, but since they haven't actually done anything wrong they will likely just fine them for disorderly conduct and let them go."

As you continue south, the tents and other structures quickly dissipate and you find yourselves on your own, just following the large sandstone walls and walking through the sandy dirt.


About 3,000 feet since the last merchant stall near Serpent's Gate, you notice that one of the towers above the sandstone wall soars high into the air. Much higher than all the others. Garavel sees you all looking up at in and chines in, "That's the Grand Alchemist's Tower, home to Katapesh's most accomplished alchemist and the guildmaster of the Order of Alchemists and Potion Makers."

The wall begins to turn slightly eastward and after another 1,500 feet or so, it makes a hard turn to the east, several guards watching you from the tower on the corner above. As you come around the corner, more civilization is found outside the city wall. The crystal blue ocean off on the horizon stands in sharp contrast to the dusty streets and buildings before you. But this area doesn't have the bustle of people moving from trader to trader, goods in hand or slung over their shoulders. This seem more like a typical town that you are used to without all the flash and exoticism that the areas before contained. Rows of modest homes line the streets with a couple simple markets and stores for buying the essentials.

You quickly come to a large building that stands prominently among the lesser buildings around it. "This is the River Inn" says Garavel as you look up at the three-story inn made of river stones and mortar with stout timber beams. Lanterns flank its wide front doors that are lit even in the mid-afternoon daylight. It is a rather magnificent building, though it still seems to blend in well with the homes and smaller businesses around it. "Rayhan's Villa is still further this way, down by the water's edge." Garavel gestures to the east in the direction you were headed when you came across the Inn, "But we can stop here if you want and I can run the wagon and prisoners in after you unload your stuff. I can come back in a few hours to take you to Rayhan if you need direction there.."

Amwyr, the old man who hitched a ride with you, climbs out of the back of the wagon. "Katapesh! I'm home! I'm must of fallen asleep, how long have we been here? Why didn't you wake me? Come, Come, I must go fetch your reward and let you choose your slave girl!" Looking at Mah'ysa, he adds, "Or slave man if you so choose." He starts heading toward the third gate into Katapesh, the Twilight Gate, which is now visible in the distance further to the east. He stops and turns around when you don't follow.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreeem is extremely relieved to have reached their destination, not to mention getting away from the crowds. He responds to Garavel, "Yeah, that is a good idea. I don't feel like dealing with any more people right now."

He turns to enter the inn when Amwyrs response stops him in his tracks. Still, he did not want to start a scene here. "Amwyr, if you insist on rewarding us, then we will be here at the River Inn. I have no interest in a slave girl, and I suspect I speak for the rest of us as well."

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

"Speak for yourself Hazreem..I was promised a slave girl and I have every intention of claiming my reward.."

Pae strides off..if a Halfling can stride...in Anwyrs direction


Male Human (Keleshite) Sorc (Efreeti) 11 l AC 23(ff21/t14) l F7 l R7 l W9 l HP(76) I Images: 5

Efreat takes the journey into the city in stride. He smiles the majority of the time as he has finally come home. The one exception is in Dog Town; there fire dances in his eyes at the gnolls but since he was given no offense, he offers none in return.

Once they are within the walls, he smiles and turns to Halleen, "It is good to be home. There is adventure aplenty within this city."

After hearing Garavel's proclamation, Efreat's face contorts. Under his breath, "Should have left them to the desert. There is more justice there."

Efreat smiles at Amwyr's suggestion, "I will take one who is skilled in bathing and message. It has been a long trip. Haleen, What would you prefer?"


Efreat wrote:
Once they are within the walls, he smiles and turns to Halleen, "It is good to be home. There is adventure aplenty within this city."

So far you have only walked around the outside of the wall. The River Inn is in the Sprawl, an area just outside of the Twilight Gate. You have yet to enter through any of the gates.


Male Human (Keleshite) Sorc (Efreeti) 11 l AC 23(ff21/t14) l F7 l R7 l W9 l HP(76) I Images: 5
DM Sardaukar wrote:
Efreat wrote:
Once they are within the walls, he smiles and turns to Halleen, "It is good to be home. There is adventure aplenty within this city."
So far you have only walked around the outside of the wall. The River Inn is in the Sprawl, an area just outside of the Twilight Gate. You have yet to enter through any of the gates.

sorry, I thought that we entered the walls after getting past the gnoll section. I reread it and see tha tyou were talking about what is within the wall.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Did he really just ask a Priestess of Sarenrae what kind of slave she wants..theres a man who likes living dangerously


Garavel commands his men, "Help them unload their gear off the camels and wagon, and then take the camels inside to the stables. Then you are relieved of duty. Go home to your families, I will deal the wagon, prisoners, and remains myself. Check in tomorrow morning. I will post details of the funeral once I have brought news of their loss to his family." All three men say in unison, "Yes sir!" and quickly move to everyone's mounts to begin unloading their stuff.

As Pae strides over to the man, "Why yes, there should be plenty of girls who would gladly bath and provide you with a most intimate massage of whatever your heart desires. Come, we should go there before nightfall as things generally get busy after dusk." Amwyr turns and starts to head towards the city gate while Pae follows close behind.

Efreat turns to Haleen who responds, "I could definitely use a good massage after every thing that has happened recently, but I think I can bathe myself. But regardless, I will go with you. Now that I'm in Katapesh, I need to go pay off a debt before word spreads that I am here. And I have a feeling that Amwyr here will be taking us to the same part of town."

So is Pae, Efreat, and Haleen following Amwyr into the city proper leaving Hazreem and the three Sarenrae religious types back at the River Inn to check-in and unload all the gear?


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Mah'ysa lingers back with the baggage at the Inn. After the relative quiet and open spaces of Kelmarane, the big city seems dirty, crowded and just intimidating.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Pae is glad to be back on the bustling streets of a city..."This is the life.." he says to Efreat as they walk through the streets "..gold in your purse..and the riches of the world to spend it on"


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

Daumari shakes his head as he watches the flesh peddler lead his companions into the city, but he can't help but smile at Pae's exuberance. Just as quickly as the display of emotion appears, though, the inquisitor smothers it and once again dons his usual, grim mask. Turning back to the wagon, he busies himself by helping in its unloading.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem watches Pae and the others head into the city after Amwyr to pick up their 'reward'. He is surprised to feel a pang of something in his heart. After reflecting for a moment he realizes it is lonliness. The path he chose to walk is not an easy one, and certainly did not lend itself to building a lasting relationship with another person. Maybe he could avail himself...No, he thinks to himself, I cannot force another to walk down my path with me. I made the right call.

He shrugs and moves to help with the unloading of the gear. Besides, he thinks wryly, I would be completely lost in there.

Osirion

Bahir's seems torn momentarily but he seems to resolve his mix of emotions quickly and with a fleeting glance toward Mah'ysa he strides quickly to follow the group with Amwyr. As he passes Daumari he tosses him the bag of gems Pae took off Radi and growls, "See he gets that and his belongings with the understanding that this "Father Jackal" will soon know Radi betrayed him." His tone and look saying 'Your the only one who can make sure he "understands" the price of a second encounter with us'. He picks up his pace and yells out with a sudden smile, "Pae! Efreat! Haleen! I'm coming with you!" His smile all but brightens as he catches up, "What a city this is! Amwyr, do you know the city well?"

Updated spell list to Honeyed Tongue and Zone of Truth while in city.


As Bahir hurries off to catch up with those heading into the great city, Daumari, Mah'ysa, and Hazreem begin helping the guards to unload the camels and wagon. "Where do you want it? asks the younger looking of Garavel's men. "Should we just pile it here, or taken it up to your room?" With that comment, you realize you should probably check in to make sure they have room before unloading everything.

Walking up the steps of the grand entrance of the River Inn, you step into a large hotel lobby that is furnished and decorated as if this place was fit to accommodate nobles and rich merchants. Rather exquisite chairs and couches surround large rugs with finely detailed tapestries covering the walls behind. Multiple large and expensive looking chandeliers hang from each peak of the vaulted ceiling above, the candles all burning brightly with numerous small flames. But the light from them is not needed as the afternoon sunlight fills the room through large decorative windows lining the front of the building.

Across this large chamber and to the right, you see what looks like a front desk. A human man stands behind the counter, busily going over some paperwork. He looks up as you approach. "Welcome to the River Inn. Can I help you?"

------

Catching up with Pae and the others, Bahir asks the old man, "What a city this is! Amwyr, do you know the city well?" As you continue to walk down the street, he happily answers with a joyous tone in his voice, something you haven't heard from him since arriving in Kelmarane after you recused him from the gnolls. "Why yes, I've grew up here. I've spent most of my life here. Only left the city for business."

By now you've reached the gate, but need to cross the Scorpius River once again to get to the side where you can walk in. The Shady Palm Span bridge conveniently crosses just before the Twilight Gate. Looking up, you notice several Zephyr Guards watching from above while several more stand on the ground monitoring all the traffic, their faces masked with scimitars sheathed at their waist. They only give you a cursory glance as the five of you walk in together.

Once inside, things look completely different. The modern, contemporary look outside is replaced by a mix of two distinctly different building types, both modern and ancient. The old man, apparently happy to hear his own voice, continues to prattle on without prompting. "This part of the city has been here for over a thousand years. It used to be outside the city wall before they built the new one when just came through. The original city is through those walls up ahead." As you follow along side the river, he points off in the distance. Several thousand feet away you see that another large sandstone wall separates the city into further chunks. Another gate opening seem to exist where the river leads. "Many of the buildings in here are over 2000 years old. But a giant sandstorm buried and destroyed many of them causing some of them to be rebuilt. Its easy to tell which ones are new and which are old. Some of the really old ones have become tourist attractions all by themselves."

He turns right and heads down another packed street. The crowds here are insane and you spend most of your time just trying to keep up and not lose the old man or your friends as you work your way through the mass of people. Ahead, maybe a thousand feet, that inner wall crosses the road that you are now on. He looks back to see that you followed and then continues, "That last road takes you to the Inner City, but I live down in the Lower City that is this way."

You pass a massive structure that is made of a framework of bones and stretched hides. Amwyr points up at it as you go by. "That's the Gladiators' Guildhall. They host public pit fights every week with people fighting to gain membership to the guild. It's quite the spectator's sport with lots of gambling. You should check it out while you're here." As you continue, the ground starts to slope downward, becoming steep in spots.

As you approach the next sandstone wall separating the twilight area with the lower city, you notice that walls bear many sculptures and faded frescoes that hint at their antiquity. "People know this gate as Jackal Gate. It helps to know all the names in case you ever ask for directions to a place." As you cross through, the ground continues to slope downward. Before you you can see almost all of the lower city, an extremely densely populated area that makes the areas you just came through look empty by comparison. It even looks like there are shops on the building rooftops here. But blocking your view of a good portion of this section is a walled compound sitting atop a low bluff that overlooks the rest of the lower city that spreads around it. Amwyr continues walking down the road that heads directly towards this compound... (To be continued)

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

"2000 years..really "Pae says with a grin unable to resist a bit of oneupmanship "You know some of the newer buildings in Sothis are almost that old.."

Sothis was founded 8500 years ago..or thereabouts


Male Human (Keleshite) Sorc (Efreeti) 11 l AC 23(ff21/t14) l F7 l R7 l W9 l HP(76) I Images: 5

Efreat nods along as the guide explains the city's geography. He smiles and comments to his companions, "I think some of this looks familiar."
DM

Spoiler:
I'll be gone till monday. Please NPC Efreat. Thank you.


The old man grins back at Pae and responds, "Oh, this is just the newer part of Katapesh, The inner and lower cities are much older. Though many of the buildings have been rebuilt."

Crossing the Jackal Gate, you look down upon the lower city. Off in the distance and to the right, the Obari Ocean is visible over another wall that slopes downward towards the water. Quickly catching up with the Amwyr who didn't stop to gaze upon the sea of buildings below that are packed in like sardines, he follows the road around the walled compound on the hill. He gestures up towards it. "This used to be the estate of Massein Aktep, an extremely wealthy businessman who had his hands in nearly every enterprise in Katapesh. Apparently there was some sort of scandal and the pactmasters sized everything he owned and threw him in their dungeon. Something about tax evasion, fraud, and murder. Now they drag him through the streets every year as some kind of example."

Reaching the other side of the hill, the path continues to slope downward. You can see the rest of the lower city from up here. The outer walls come to two large defensive towers surrounding an opening where shipping docks meet the massive city. Several large vessels are currently docked and from here you can make out the tiny specks of people moving on and off the ships carrying large crates.

You pass by a large gray tent that is covered in sky-blue stars. Inside, silk cloths hang from the ceiling of the tent blocking off your view with some kind of breeze blowing that is causing ripples to form in the silk, though you don't feel anything out here. Upbeat music and singing spills forth from the tent, the spell of spirits filling your senses. Several groups of people are seen entering through an opening in the silk. You notice the long hair on a woman entering in one of the groups blows backwards slightly as she enters before she disappears from view. Another tent catches your eye as you walk. The tent itself is nondescript, but the name of the business contained within is a little more memorable. Aandrik the Chirurgeon.

The old man seems more preoccupied since you have gotten down in this area and has become less talkative. The tents, buildings, and huts down here are extremely packed in, and the crowds of people are just unbelievable. Some peddlers simply have kiosks set up along the side of the street in carts or simply rugs on the ground filled with their wares where people will not step on them. Everything you can imagine is for sale down here. But the further down into the lower city you go, the dirtier it becomes and the less safe you feel here. Well, at least for the Paladin.

Amwyr turns a corner and heads down what could be an alley. He stops and turns around, "It's been many months since I've been here. Wait here while I go in and get your money. Then we'll head over to get your gifts." Before you can reply, he turns and ducks into a side door. It shuts behind him and you think you hear a click, though it is hard to tell over all the noise here in the marketplace behind you.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11
DM Sardaukar wrote:

Walking up the steps of the grand entrance of the River Inn, you step into a large hotel lobby that is furnished and decorated as if this place was fit to accommodate nobles and rich merchants. Rather exquisite chairs and couches surround large rugs with finely detailed tapestries covering the walls behind. Multiple large and expensive looking chandeliers hang from each peak of the vaulted ceiling above, the candles all burning brightly with numerous small flames. But the light from them is not needed as the afternoon sunlight fills the room through large decorative windows lining the front of the building.

Across this large chamber and to the right, you see what looks like a front desk. A human man stands behind the counter, busily going over some paperwork. He looks up as you approach. "Welcome to the River Inn. Can I help you?"

Hazreem walks over to the man and motions to the area where Garavel is directing the unloading of the gear gathered from the groups escapades. "Yes, we have just arrived from Kelmarane and we would like some suites for us and our caravan crew. What rooms do you have available?"

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

"Ware my friends the old reprobate might be trying to double cross us"

Pae quickly checks the door and tests the lock.

Perception1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16

Disable device 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17

muttering about old crooks and their schemes he looks up to see if there is an access from above


A broad smile appears across the man's face as he stands behind the counter, moving his interrupted work aside and gives you his full attention. "Yes, we have many rooms available. How many are looking for? We have several small rooms available with one or two beds that may be good for your caravan crew, and we also have several grand suites open with enough space for a large extended family. The single rooms run for three silver while the doubles are five silver a night. The grand suites are fifteen silver per night."

-----

Moving after the old man, Pae approaches the door through which he disappeared and reaches up to check the door handle. It doesn't turn, apparently locked. Though you find the door knob is loose, either poor quality, worn out, or improperly installed. The door is also warped and flimsy looking. Even a halfling like yourself could probably bash this door in with ease.

Looking up, you see several windows that are open with only worn-out cloth curtains blocking your view of the inside. But getting up there would be more difficult as there are not any ladders or other natural ways up to the windows that are about 10 feet above the ground.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Pae looks at the flimsy door and decides not to waste time unlocking it..

"Wait here friends" he says, activates his slippers spider climbing ability and strolls up the outside wall .

grins


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem thinks for a moment. "OK, I would like one grand suite room, plus a double suite for our caravel master Garavel. He will let you know how many single rooms he requires for his guards. I think three days should be enough time for us to finish our business here."

If Garavel or any other PC objects to this sleeping arrangement, feel free to change it. I am not sure how long we will be here so I just took an educated guess.

Osirion

Bahir watches the little man scamper up the wall, I'll never get used to that. He turns, while resting his palm on Vardishal, to keep an eye out for any ambushes coming just in case the man did indeed sell them out.


"Great, that will be two gold per night then, plus any extra your Garavel requires." He accepts the coins and takes down some basic information from you before presenting you with a rental contract for your signature. With nothing seeming out of the ordinary, you sign it and he hands over several keys. "The suite is straight down that hallway on the right", pointing across the lobby. "The double room is upstairs", gesturing to the stairs to the right of the front desk, "and straight down the first hallway. Please enjoy your stay and let us know if you need anything."

Entering the suite, you find it open and inviting with a lounge area with a fireplace in the center, a large flue rising into the ceiling. Numerous doors lead away from the central area, each leading to a room with a bed and storage closet. One door leads to a room with a communal bath with washtub, all done in granite or some other kind of hard, polished stone. A small fire pit filled with rocks sits next to the bath basin, possibly used for creating steam or warming the water in the tub.

With the rooms reserved, you return to unloading all the equipment and other loot from the camels and wagons. "I will take the wagon and prisoners to the city guard", says Garavel once everything is unloaded. "Then I have some business of my own to tend to. I will be back by morning to guide you to Rayhan's Villa. Be safe tonight."

----

Bahir watches in fascination as Pae begins walking up the wall again. It doesn't take long for others on the street to notice and soon people stop and begin staring at the strange halfling clinging to the side of the structure.

Glancing into the window, holding the curtain aside just enough to get a view, you see a dark chamber. Well, dark compared to the bright sunshine still present outside. You are able to make out two people standing in what looks like small, well decorated bedroom, embracing each other. Both appear to be elderly and either tall halflings or short humans. As the two separate, they hold each other at arms length. They fail to notice you as they stare longingly into each others gaze, one of them is the old man who brought you here. You hear a woman's sobbing voice as they talk softly to one another. "I can't believe you are here! You disappeared and never returned, I thought you might of been dead!" says the woman. Amwyr responds to her, "I'm sorry, the deal went bad and all the girls were killed. I was taken prisoner by the gnolls. I nearly died in there, but I'll save you the details. The good news is I was recused by some do-gooders and I offered them a reward to get me back home. And here I am!" The woman breaks out crying and they embrace once again. Through her sobbing you hear, "How much did you promise them?"

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Pae takes a seat on the windowledge and listens..


Making himself comfortable, Pae listens in on the private conversation where he doesn't risk being seen from those inside. "A grand, plus a slave each." Amwyr says softly. But her voice comes through clearly, "A slave each? How many are we talking about?" His voice remains calm, not rising to the level of hers. "Seven, but many were those religious do-gooders types and wouldn't accept. There are three that did waiting outside right now." There is a short pause before he continues, "Once I've done with them, I'll come right back."

Below in the alley, a well-dressed human man walks up below the window next to Bahir. He looks up at Pae sitting on the window ledge and says in a friendly sounding voice, "Those are amazing shoes you have there, do you think I could buy them off you? Would three grand work?"

Haleen leans over to Efreat and whispers something to him.

Efreat:
"These crowds are making me nervous. I should go pay off that debt before I'm recognized. If I don't see you back here, I'll meet you back at the inn."

She then turns around and slips into the crowd, quickly disappearing from view.

Osirion

Bahir keeps a few feet between him and the newcomer, "I think I can answer for my friend in that he rather enjoys his scenic views too much to part with his nice shoes. I'm sure you could commission a set of your own at the various magic emporiums here in town."

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Realising that Radi intends to pay off his debt Pae strolls down the wall..

"I'm sorry Sir..but these shoes are a necessary tool of my trade and are not for sale."


CG male half-elf inquisitor of Sarenrae 8

As Garavel leaves, Daumari turns to regard the pile of goods the group brought with them. He scratches his head as his eyes wander across the pile of goods. "Perhaps it would have been best to leave everything in the wagon, and only unload it after we located a buyer."

The inquisitor grumbles as he sets his pack and most of his gear in the room, only keeping his weapons, armor, and coin on his person. Almost as an afterthought, the man also drapes one of his waterskins over his shoulder. "I'm going to see if I can't find someone willing to pay for all this. I might even be able to locate someone willing to haul it away. Provided we sell everything at a slight discount, of course. Anyone care to join me?"


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem looks first at the sizeable pile of loot just unloaded and can only nod helplessly. He turns to Daumari, "Yeah, I'll go with you Daumari. Someone has to keep an eye on you, right? Plus, I don't think it is a good idea to travel alone in this place." He takes off his pack, and only carries his newly found scimitar, along with his other pouches. "Perhaps we can find a mage willing to examine our magical loot as well."


As Bahir responds to the newcomer, he responds to the paladin, "Why yes, I could. Though it would cost a lot more to do so." When Pae steps down on horizontal ground and states his intention not to sell, the man simply nods and says, "Then sorry for the interruption. Good day to you both" and he turns and walks away.

Soon the crowd disperses and it is as if nothing happened. You wait patiently in the dirty alley for Amwyr to return.

--------------

After storing all the gear, Garavel heads off with the wagon leaving Daumari, Hazreem, and Mah'ysa back at the River Inn. But as the group looks over the pile of gear, Daumari and Hazreem decide to head out and explore the city to find a buyer. Mah'ysa staying at the Inn?

Heading towards the gate, you find yourself standing before an opening in the 40 foot tall sandstone walls looking into upon the shantytown that lies within. Guards watch from above as you enter into the trading capital of the Inner Sea region. You quickly find yourself surrounded by merchants and dealers of all types. From rugs to pottery to jewelry of all types. Several food venders serve up all kinds of local snacks, from fried scorpion on a stick to harpy hands poached in honey and coriander. You pass one vendor named "Acids and Spittles of Many Creatures". A quick glance inside shows that they sells items labeled as "Spittle of Hell's Vipers", "Festering Juice of the Gargantuan Slug", and "the Milk from the Teat of the Daughters of the Sphinx of Corrosion" But the prices seems outlandish with some of the stuff going for 50 gold or more. There are even vials of some kind of green slime that are behind the counter and run for a grand.

Eventually, you come across a tent containing a dealer who sells bladed weapons of all sorts. Here you find a display case filled with a wide selection of daggers of all sizes, from your small blades easily concealed under tight fitting clothing, to large daggers more fitted for hand to hand combat. Even a really tiny blade that is really too small to be held in your hand. There are all kinds of swords on display from scimitars to rapiers to long swords. The inventory includes throwing axes and battle axes. Even a couple of large halberds. Some look shiny and new, while others look like they've seen some use. "Howdy, can I help you find something?" says the strong voice of a tall human man watching you from the back of the tent.

Osirion

Bahir adjusts his cloak, chasuble, and tunic to make sure they are all still concealing his scroll burden. As he does so he checks for the now familiar weight at his waist. Looking to Pae, "Are we still waiting or have we been double-crossed?"


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Mah'ysa elects to stay at the inn for now.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

I think this is his house..he's talking to a woman who seems to be his wife I didn't want to intrude further.He's still going to pay us..but I'm surprised..a good follower of Sarenrae accepting a slave..that's a bit out of character isn't it my friend"

3,601 to 3,650 of 7,198 << first < prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Zoomackulas's Legacy of Fire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.