Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Sardaukar's Legacy of Fire

Game Master Sardaukar


5,151 to 5,200 of 7,210 << first < prev | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | next > last >>
Osirion

Bahir smiles broadly, "Reminds me of home. If the earth spirits reside there than that is where we must travel."

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Pae grins.."Have you ever been to Osirion my friend...this is an afternoon stroll for us" he says to Hazreem

Osirion

Since we are headed out into the desert I updated my spell list with Create Water and Endure Elements.


You begin the long trek through the desert sands. As you cross dune after dune, you quickly lose sight of the lush land behind you. The going is slow with each step sinking into the sand. Hazreem floats along beside and above you, avoiding throwing sand up with his swirling vortex of air. The day goes by without any sign of anyone else out here.

As the day starts to near its end, the sun going low in the sky ahead and to your left, you spot two dark figures flying high in the sky before you. It's hard to make out what they are from this distance, but they look like large, horned bats of some kind. They seem to be circling high over an area far ahead. So far, they don't seem to notice you.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem glances up at the flying creatures. "I do not like the looks of this. Take cover...somewhere and I will check it out." He then flies up behind them, trying not to draw attention to himself as he tries to get a closer look.

Perception 1d20 + 18 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 18 + 4 = 28 desert native
Stealth 1d20 + 1 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 1 + 4 + 4 = 18 desert native, size


Rolls:

Perception #1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Perception #2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

With the others hiding behind a dune, Hazreem floats up and tries to blend in with the sky, being as transparent and inconspicuous as possible.

As you get closer, you are clearly able to identify these creatures as Gargoyles. But more interesting is what you see ahead of you in distance. The sea of sand is marred by a giant crater in the center, as if an object from the heavens above crashed into the ground. Built along the northern edge of the crater is a small structure, containing a platform hanging out over the crater with a ramp down to its base.

As you look upon this, one of the two Gargoyles seems to be focusing on your airy form. He then swoops down and heads quickly towards the crater.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem watches the gargoyles depart and then returns to the others, telling them what he discovered. "We should make our way towards that crater, but I expect us to run into a welcoming party eventually."

DM, how long has it been since Hazreem shifted into his elemental form?


It's been about 8 hours, so not much time left on your current incarnation. And the distance to the crater is such that a land party would not reach it until well into the night.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

"We should make ready for an attack then" though I'm not much good unless you can draw flyers down to the ground.

Pae grips his sword and


Pae grips his sword and... The DM moves to the edge of his seat...

Osirion

Bahir shakes his head, "I am afraid I disagree my friend, it would take us well past dark to reach our destination. We would be traveling across unfamiliar terrain. Best we set up camp and guard here and wait to approach when we are fresh (he looks toward the sky) in what passes for daylight here."


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem nods as he shifts back into his own form. "I think you are right Bahir. Let me see about setting up a camp where the gargoyles will hopefully not detect it. Since I need little water here, there should be little need to forage for it. We need to set watches though." He turns to the halfling. "Pae, we need to make sure no one finds this camp. Can you help hide it?"

Survival to set up a hidden camp 1d20 + 18 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 18 + 4 = 38
Stealth to hide the camp 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

I forgot, what is our normal watch rotation?

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

..and looks to the sky...was having connection problems yesterday

Stealth to assist in hiding the camp 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (4) + 19 = 23

Pae makes the ocassional suggestion but it is obvious that Hazreem has more experience in this regard.

Osirion

I think Bahir and Mah'ysa are on dawn patrol. Hazreem and Pae on midnight watch? They have better abilities to deal with the dark I think. That leaves Efreat and Daumari on first watch. Any thoughts on this?


Along the back side of a dune, Hazreem and Pae work to set up a camouflaged camp. But as you work, your attention is brought to the sky above. Several gargoyles soar high above like vultures waiting for their pray to die before swooping down. They seem to come and go, but you spot at least four at one time.

Quickly finishing your shelter, you settle in for the night with watches set. Efreat and Daumari take the first watch, one keeping an eye on the sky as best you can in the starlight and the other scanning the sandy horizon. Periodically these creatures soar above, obviously aware of your presence in the area. Whether or not they know of your current position, you cannot tell. As tense as the situation is, you manage to catch some sleep.

This night, your dream of the previous night returns. Once again, you find yourself on an island filled with dead trees and gravestones. This time you know to look for a cat and quickly find it perched on one of the tombstones, just as some of you saw last night. The chase begins again as you pursue the cat who jumps from stone to stone, staying just out of your reach. The small brown cat makes its way up the steps to a large bronze mausoleum at the highest point of the island. The front of the mausoleum seems partially melted with several humanoid bones partially melted into the bronze. Standing on the top step, the cat howls. Its screech deafening and pitiful, startling you awake once again. All four of you wake up at the same time. Daumari turns at the sound and asks nervously, "Everything okay in there?"

Wisdom Check DC18:
As you wake, you feel a strong mental pull to the east for a few seconds. The words, "Isle of the Dead" come unbidden to your lips.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

WIS check 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Wis: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Osirion

Wisdom check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

Osirion

Bahir responds, "Eh? Oh...yeah everything is fine just some more strange dreams." He looks to the others to see if everyone is alright before getting comfortable again. His breathing quickly slows as he seems to have little trouble getting back to sleep.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Wisdom check..1d20 ⇒ 3

"I wonder what the cat wants though"


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

"I am not sure Pae. It sounds like it wants us to find this mausoleum. I think it is on a different island though, so if we are to get there we need to find another way-point."


The rest of the night passes with only a couple of sightings made. The sun rises to the east revealing your campsite was unmolested during the night.

Osirion

Recast my Endure Elements.

Finishing his morning prayers with Mah'ysa he rejoins the rest of the group, "Well lets see what has all those gargoyles circling like vultures, shall we?"


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

"Sounds like a plan, Bahir." Hazreem prepares to lead the group towards the crater.

Survival take 10, total 32


It takes a good chunk of the day to travel across the desert sands to reach the crater mentioned by Hazreem. Finally, as you climb to the top of the next dune, you are able to see a ring of badlands surrounding an apparent hole in the ground off in the distance, probably a mile. On the northern edge of this craggy rock rests a small stone temple.

Several of these gargoyles circle high above, watching your approach. But they don't make any move to prevent you from continuing.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

"The temple first?"

Osirion

"Yes." Looking out across the craggy rock, "I don't see a better option."


Heading down the other side of the dune, you make your way across the sand and towards the northern edge of the crater. Soon the stone temple comes into clearer view. This small temple sits perched upon the northern edge with a stone ramp leading down into the crater from the open-air structure. The gargoyles overhead migrate towards the temple and land along its top, forming demonic statues along the edge. You count eight in total.

As you approach temple, you notice a strange creature standing in the shadow of the building. It seems to be a cross between a beautiful woman, a lion, and large wings of a falcon. She is looking away when you first see her, a bored and tired look on her human looking face, but when she turns to see your approach, her expression brightens and he gets up on all fours and prowls up to the sand's edge, her uncovered bosom bouncing with her movement and tail high in the air.

As you near, she calls out in common. "What have we here?" she asks, "Travelers! The Golden Bowl sees so few of your kind these days." You realize just how big this creature is when you get near, towering over you and occupying a large space on the ground. (10'x10') The eight gargoyles remain perched motionless high above.

Knowledge(Nature) DC23:
What stands before you is a Sphinx, a rare yet long lived magical beast of the desert. Despite her mythical appearance, she could be quite a formidable foe if engaged in combat.

Pae, it doesn't look like you've leveled to 9 yet.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Knowledge Nature 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15

Hazreem shrugs as he fails to recognize the woman? Creature? Extending a hnad in a non threatening gesture. "Yes, we have journeyed far. What is this place, you call it the Golden Bowl?"


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Mah'ysa curtseys, as is prudent when encountering someone way bigger than she is.
"Peace be upon you. I am Mah'ysa Alandir Abbess Protector of Kelmarane. Who might you be?"
Diplomacy (with a Touch of Good): 1d20 + 9 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 9 + 4 = 27


Tucking her wings in, the strange hybrid nods in Mah'ysa direction sending her golden blonde hair swinging forward before landing again just above her chest. "I am Zulfiqar, the guardian of this temple. It is called the Golden Bowl because the sand in the basin below is nearly golden in color." She looks at Hazreem's extended hand and moves up to smell it. Satisfied, she steps back again and states to Mah'ysa, "I have not heard the name Kelmarane in a rather long time. You must be from the outside world. What brings you here?"

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

I'm Osiriani,,shouldn't I recognise this creature for what she is? After all there are statues of them Everywhere in Osirion


Pae: Add a +4 bonus to your roll for that background, or make a Knowledge(Local) check if that is higher. It looks like you have a +13 on Knowledge(Local), possibly higher after you level your character.

Osirion

Catching himself staring in wonder as the woman-beast approaches he suddenly glances quickly toward Mah'ysa to see if she noticed. His hand, however, never leaves the pommel of his scimitar just in case the approaching creature proves to be a threat.

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Know.Local 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26

Recognising the creature for what she is Pae whispers to Hazreem..

"Tis a Sphinx..they favour riddles and mind games let us keep our wits about us and we may gain knowledge and information..But beware if the riddle is not answered correctly then we will in for a fight."


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem is startled by the news this was a legendary sphinx. He nods in response to Pae's revelation and then turns to face the sphinx.

"We seek information...nothing more. We are looking for the lair of the earth spirits which reside on this island. We wish to talk with the leader of them."


A smile appears on her human looking face as she looks down at Hazreem. "I can provide you such information, but only if you can answer a riddle first. Many find riddles cliche, but I find them quite delightful. If you would seek my aid or pass beyond, you must answer me this: I build up hills and tear down mountains. I make blind eyes see and make seeing eyes blind. What am I?"

Osirion

The furrowed brow shows that such answers are well beyond the scope of a formerly cloistered paladins breadth of knowledge.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem looks around him for a moment before the amswer comes to him. "Let me guess...Sand?"

Osirion

Giving Hazreem a quizzical look, "Sand? Build up hills? Ah, dunes...I guess that makes sense. Yes, it has made me blind more than once and I have seen it wear things away but how does it make blind eyes see?"

Spoiler:
Yes, I know the answer but I figure there is no way he would fully understand it.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Hazreem chuckles. "Being a part of the desert as I am, I know one of the uses of sand is the creation of glass bottles, dishes..." his eyes twinkle in humor. "Spectacles too."

Osirion

Male Halfling Rogue 11

Pae is on the verge of answering when Hazreem does so.The halflings face splits in a grin.


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Mah'ysa, musing about answering something like "Time", looks at Hazreem with new respect.


A broad smile appears across Zulfiqar's face and she moves aside, gesturing for you to pass. "I'm impressed. Sand is correct. Come and information you shall receive." But just then, a large, voluptuous and golden-skinned woman emerges from one of the stone pillars of the temple. Her physical form is that of human, but she towers above you in height, matching that of the sphinx. Her skin is like polished stone, her hair stiff and non-moving. A large scimitar hangs from her side. "You've had your fun, Zulfiqar!" the new woman yells as she appears. The sphinx turns to look at the new voice, the smile on her face vanishing as quickly as it came. "Need I remind you that you serve Obherak now, not the ridiculous tongue-twisting traditions of your kind?" Zulfiqar's expression changes to that internal rage.

The new woman approaches and addresses the small people in front of her. "You have no business here. Leave now or I'll spill your blood upon the sand." She draws her large blade threateningly.

Knowledge(Planes) DC22:
Before you is a Shaitan, a genie native to the plane of earth. They can travel through stone and rock as easily as you move through water. A picture of this woman is present on the cover of this book of the AP. See http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/PZO/PZO9022_180.jpeg

Knowledge(Planes) DC27:
Shaitan's are immune to electrical damage. Also requires Adamantine to bypass damage reduction (or +3 magical weapons).

Efreat gains +4 to above roll due to having read the Book "Courts of Stone and Flame".


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Knowledge (Planes): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Fem Half-Elven Cleric L10+Bard L1 | HP67/67 | AC 21(28) T16F17 CMD24 | Saves F9 R9 W14 | Percep +11 | Endure Elements | Status: Hasted

Mah'ysa gasps a little at recognizing the woman.
"Shaitan, djinn of the earth." She breathes. She glances sideways at the rest of the companions, dearly wishing to make further comment, but deeming it unwise.


Wild Shape: Medium Air Elemental Male Human (Desert) Druid 11

Shaitan! These must be the earth spirits who are holding Magiyawalla prisoner!

Hazreem says quickly "We have no quarrel with either of your species...great Shaitan and you great Sphinx...we just wish information. Please listen to us!"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Osirion

Seizing the moment before Hazreem can do anymore harm Bahir steps forward and bows to the mighty Shaitan, "Greetings mighty Shaitan, your wishes mirror our own. I am Bahir al-Asim Abdul Shihab, radiant protector, servant of the flame, and Abbot-Protector of Kelmarane. We only desire to leave this realm and return to our own. The spirit of Vardishal travels with and guides me through his scimitar. (He pats the hilt of the sword) I fear we may have done great harm in freeing Jhavul from this realm. Perhaps we may assist one another. Surely ones of our stature provide little threat to one such as you. I assume you have no wish to hand Thaiyanathan or Lahapraset a victory?" So this must be how Pae sees us...

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (20) + 20 = 40 Lol, nice! The paladin seems to be in rare form.


The Shaitan raises her large blade high, preparing to render Hazreem in two when Bahir steps forward and bows graciously to the woman's surprise. She halts her attack and lowers her weapon as the paladin speaks, scoffing quietly at the mention of Jhavhul's name. Turning to Bahir, she simply says in a tone that expresses impatience, "Go on, speak."

Osirion

I was editing my previous post as you responded. Simply added Bahir's name and titles as is polite.

He waves his hand to encompass the party, "I will be as brief and forthright as I know how. We...discovered The Scroll of Kakishon, created by the Wizard-King Nex, which opened the doorway here. Unfortunately, something went wrong and it appears that it was a one way trip for now. So we are now seeking a way out. Upon arriving we received a challenge from Lahapraset in the form of a turtle to hunt the golden ram. I hope the beast was not sacred to you as we slew it and gained its horns for passage off the end of this world to a land of darkness and shadow. That is where we met Lahapraset and Chinoy. They claim the earth spirits have captured a companion of theirs by the name of Magiyawalla and wish us to secure his return. For this they have promised to show us a way to escape this realm. I have my doubts as they have been less than honest with us so far and put our lives in great peril. And that is how we come to stand before you now."

He will detect evil during his speech.

5,151 to 5,200 of 7,210 << first < prev | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Zoomackulas's Legacy of Fire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.