Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) (Inactive)

Game Master stormraven

High-Power Pathfinder Homespun Game


5,701 to 5,750 of 7,012 << first < prev | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | next > last >>

Straehan laughs, "Probably true but is it justified ego or am I just too big for these out-sized boots?"


Ushari smirks, "Actually, I suspect you will have many opportunities to back up your boasts, Strae! Who knows, if you actually save the day you may get a kiss from the maiden faire...IF I can hire one that is."


STONE-FACED KILLA

"The boots are fabulous... its' teh britches that don't seem to fit anymore."


"Are you calling me... fat?" Despite the unknown risks of a Shaudran structure, the gnome seems in high spirits. He pokes his insignificant belly.


STONE-FACED KILLA

"Wouldn't dream of it, Strae." His face sobers as he considers their mission once again, "There any supplies we need onboard before we shove off?"


DM

You guys should be fully loaded already, just FYI, in case you weren't doing a lead-in there. :)


"Just the usual provisions I think. I think Strae here..." She playfully ruffles the gnome's hair. "wanted to do some more shopping!"

OOOHH...ninja'd...


Orin watched the friendly jests with admiration and, he hated to admit to himself, a bit of jealousy. They rely on each other and give strength to one another, even in the face of overwhelming danger. I think I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

The sooner we get back on the boat, the sooner we're back on steady ground. The Mako is a fine ship, to be sure, but I can't say I'm looking forward to another night at sea. I'm ready when you are.


DM

OK, both Shield Other (150GP) and Breath of Life (1125GP) are available in scrolls. You can purchase as many as you can afford. And the waterskin as well.

Before the sun clears the horizon, the Mako vanishes East, out of sight of the still sleeping town. Only the gulls are left to marvel at the boat's sudden appearance and departure.

The day passes uneventfully, the heatwave of the previous week gives way to more pleasant and mild spring weather. The wind is little more than a gentle puff. Our heroes glide across the deep blue of the massive bay as miles of parched and broken hills slide by on their right. The world seems peaceful and still. Seeing no reason to stop, they press on through the day and night - the Mako seems to know her way and holds her course well.

By the next day's dawn the broken hills, which have been growing steadily closer as the boat has held an Easterly course, suddenly slide away south, forming a wide inland channel - the first of the pearl-like connected bays. Orin, tired of being a passenger, has been practicing his boat-handling skills and has the conn. He throws the tiller over hard, leading the Mako through a sharp pirouette and into the channel. Vaelos screeches a protest at the sudden shift from his unofficial perch on the bow rail.

Onward, towards an uncertain fate, our heroes head. As the sun approaches its zenith, the Mako and her crew, sail into the maw an imposing wall of eroded hills and stone punctured by a narrow strait. The passage is perhaps three boat-lengths wide. With little difficulty, the agile boat enters the strait and winds its way among the rock walls and piles of loose, semi-submerged stone that dot the passage.

30 minutes of skilled sailing sees our heroes leave the channel and enter the small 'pearl' of a bay with far less imposing hills. For Ushari the effect is unsettling - clearly her dream wasn't entirely a fantasy landscape conjured from her own brain.

The bay is small, no more than a few miles across. The air is rich with the taste of brine as the current in the bay swirls the waters in a slow vortex around the tower at its center. It is a stark black square perhaps 60' across and no more than that in height. It seems to rest on the water and the edges of the building are so sharp, even at this distance, you'd think they'd cut. Despite the swirling spray from the water, and the polished surface of the building, it seems to reflect no light. It is a black so intense, you'd call any other blacks you've seen gray in comparison. Even the noon-day sun shining down upon it seems vaguely less potent. And it fills you with unease that, despite the time of day, the building casts a long shadow that nearly touches the shore... as if an invisible sun nearer the horizon is casting a bolder light upon it.

Pulling your eyes away from the unnaturally precise, eldritch, tower... you see a modest beach off to the right. The beach is buttressed by low inviting cliffs on all sides. On the furthest side you see a ring of looming oak trees. Other than that, the hillsides surrounding the bay appear relatively bare - supporting scrubby plants and rich ground covers that live off the moisture kicked off the turgid waters.

Orin and Jofram, since you've never seen a Shaudran ruin up close before, I'll need a Will Save vs fear.

sc-rolls:
5th <46%
Breath of Life 1d100 ⇒ 24 Cost:1125GP

2nd <76%
Shield Other 1d100 ⇒ 32 Cost:150GP

Weather Rolls:
Weather: 1d100 + 10 ⇒ (57) + 10 = 67 Spring
Duration: 1d7 ⇒ 7
Wind Dir: 1d8 ⇒ 2
Wind Spd: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Encounter?:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 11
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 5
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 23
Watch Jayse - HR 21-23
Watch Strae - HR 24-02
Watch Jofram - HR 03-05
Watch Ushari - HR 06-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Encounter?:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 26
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 4
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 12
Watch Jayse - HR 21-23
Watch Strae - HR 24-02
Watch Jofram - HR 03-05
Watch Ushari - HR 06-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Strae scrolls:
5th Spells <46%
Acidic Spray 1d100 ⇒ 47
Summon Monster V 1d100 ⇒ 51
Stoneskin, Communal 1d100 ⇒ 31


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

I thought that's what I saw after the shipwreck? Ah, well.

WILL SAVE, GO!!!!!!: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


DM

Don't think so... Trolohain's Crypt (where you washed up) was a normal man and the Necromancer's love-shack was built with some slabs from the ruins of a busted Shaudran structure, not a 'good' one. However, either way it doesn't matter since you saved. :(


Breath of Life scroll purchased.

As the Mako is beached, Ushari sees the ring of oak trees and a memory of a time talking to an oracle many weeks ago surfaces in her memory.

"Guys, I suggest we check out the oak trees first. Isolde may be able to help us out here." Once the group has joined her at the ring of trees, she takes out the box given to her earlier by Isolde and removes the acorn. Muttering a silent prayer to her goddess, she them plants the acorn in the ground next to the largest oak tree.


Bonus, just noticed after re-inspection that Lore Wardens only lose the first level of Bravery, so I actually have Bravery +1. Save Fear: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Ruh-Roh


DM

Happy to keep that action, Ushari... but you guys haven't landed the boat yet. Is that your vote?


DM

The shadow of the tower slides across the boat briefly before resuming its tenuous grab at the shoreline. Orin can't peel his eyes away from the unnatural structure and the dark feeling that it is watching and waiting for him - hungry. He can only imagine the horrors that await him should he dare enter it.

Orin is shaken for 10 minutes.


As the shadow momentarily covers Orin, cold fear freezes him into place and a voice from within whispers to him.

That place is certain death. Why go in? This is not your fight. Not if, but when, you die in that place, your passing will go unmourned. Worse, no one will even know of your fate, however boldly you face it. You will be forgotten. Turn back, and leave while you still can.

He had no answer to the concerns voiced by his own fear, but gripped the rail in a feeble attempt to hide his shaken nerves.

Bluff, while shaken 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17


Ooof, guess I was a mite overanxious there...lemme revise here...

As Ushari points the bow of the Mako towards the beach where the oak trees lurk, she notices Orin growing pale and quivering. Motioning for Strae to take the helm, she slides next to the white-haired man and chants a quick prayer touching his shoulder. "Easy there Orin. The Shaudran have this effect on everyone!"

Cast Remove Fear on Orin.


DM

Orin feels his nerves calming but still has the lingering impression that the building waits for them all.

Shaken - gone.


Yes! Thanks, Ushari! I was hoping you had that spell. I believe as a 7th level caster you can target someone else too, giving them a bonus to fear saves for the 10 minutes.

The craven voice subsides due to Ushari's divine power. Ushari's gods are strong, perhaps stronger than the foul creatures within that place.

Orin breathes deeply, steadies himself, and let's go of the rail, legs no longer trembling.

Thank you, Ushari. For a moment, the evil of that place, it was...no matter, it's gone now. I am ready.


DM

You are correct, sir... about Ushari being able to hit someone else with a save bonus for 10 minutes. Whether Ushari's god is stronger than the fun I have in store - we shall see!

>:{D} <-- Evil DM Smile with Goatee (which equals extra evil!)


Heh...OK I did not realize that about the spell. She would have placed it on Jofram, had he not saved...oh well, he will get it anyway, he he.

nice emoticon there, SR...are we dead yet?


stormraven wrote:

You are correct, sir... about Ushari being able to hit someone else with a save bonus for 10 minutes. Whether Ushari's god is stronger than the fun I have in store - we shall see!

>:{D} <-- Evil DM Smile with Goatee (which equals extra evil!)

Before we even get off the boat, we need to use a spell. Resources drained! Dun dun DUNNNNNNN! Hehe


stormraven wrote:
Happy to keep that action, Ushari... but you guys haven't landed the boat yet. Is that your vote?

I second the magic acorn plan, though I'd rather throw it at Bavmorda and turn her to stone. What, no Willow fans? ;-)


Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
I second the magic acorn plan, though I'd rather throw it at Bavmorda and turn her to stone. What, no Willow fans? ;-)

Dang...been a LOOONG time since I watched Willow. It goes right up there with Ladyhawke, Labryinth, and one of my faves...The Black Cauldron.


DM

Sacrilege. I am Madmartigan... and Sorsha... RRrrowwwwrrrrrr!


...the greatest swordsman that ever lived. ;-) Yeah, I bought it on DVD a couple years ago and was saying all the magic words along with Willow. My wife thought it was pretty funny, hehe.

I've never seen the Black Cauldron, but I did read the book series. I remember something like the guy who ended up being a powerful wizard, he started out as just a normal kid that was raised in the woods by these two witches (don't remember why). Anyway, he was stirring a pot of some intelligence potion spilled some on his fingers and burned them, so he sucked on 'em. Got really smart and eventually became a wizard. I read that when I was a kid, but I always thought that was cool.


Yep...cool stuff. OHHH I almost forgot...The Dark Crystal...Man I lOVED that movie!!


DM

OK, I'm going with the land-the-boat-and-plant-acorn plan...

Erring on the side of caution, our heroes keep a wary eye on the flat cube of the Shaudran tower as the Mako heads towards the shore. She runs up onto the firm sand. From there, it's an easy walk up to the top of the bluff. The companions quickly enter the small circle of rather sizable trees. Ushari plants the acorn near the largest of the oaks and steps back, unsure of the effect.

A leafy shoot bursts from the ground and grows rapidly, sprouting branches. It launches upwards for a moment as its root system laces beneath the earth. When it runs into the roots of the older tree, the unexpected happens, irrevocably altering its growth. The growing tree and its roots merge with its larger sibling - widening it and pushes it higher into the sky. After a few minutes, the combined tree is nearly twice its previous size.


Shortly thereafter, a section of the tree shimmers briefly and Isolde steps through it, hastily donning gloves and buttoning up some sort of travelling outfit. She takes a moment to look around. "Where is this? What has happened?"


Ushari nods in greeting to her, a little surprised at her appearance. "Hello again Isolde. You are on Aamari Island, near the city of Amratt." She points to the Shaudran ruin on the water, "And THAT is why we summoned you." She sighs, "To be honest, I was not expecting you to physically transport here but since you are here...." She takes a deep breath. "Naladoria showed me this place in a vision I had. She instructed us to recover an artifact of hers from that Shaudran ruin, else she implied something terrible would happen."


The Oracle weighs all statements as if they were of equal import. "You have planted the seed, so I came. Perhaps Fate had reason to make you do so. Since I am here..." She eyes the Ruin with palpable dislike. "Big or small, they are all dangerous. How can I help? I have only a few potions on me and my skills are... not for facing something like that."

Ushari wrote:
"...She instructed us to recover an artifact of hers from that Shaudran ruin, else she implied something terrible would happen."

Isolde frowns in concentration. "That may be true, I cannot say; The Gods are still silent and do not answer me. Whatever happens here, it has their attention. You must choose your own course in this matter and trust to fate, providence, or your own hearts. I will help as I may."


Ushari gives her a reassuring smile. "Isolde, I would not ask you to accompany us inside there. This is something the four...uhh actually five of us must do alone." She looks around her. "I suppose if you could tell us of the surrounding area, whether it is patrolled or guarded by...whatever, it would be a good place to start."


She nods, "I will check for you." She walks down to the shore while casting a spell. She slaps the pooling water until a curious fish investigates. Isolde speaks briefly to the fish in its own burbling language before waving goodbye to the silver arrow and turning to the companions.

"He says there are no unnatural creatures in the waters or seen in the airs. The building hangs suspended, just a few feet below the waterline. He mentions a sunken city in the 'large pond' downstream but it does not sound Shaudran... I think you have more to fear from what may be in the Ruin than around it."


Assuming Speak with Animals , but Orin will attempt to ID the spell, regardless. Spellcraft: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (5) + 17 = 22


Isolde wrote:


..."I think you have more to fear from what may be in the Ruin than around it."

Orin smiles, and approaches Isolde, hand extended in greeting.

I agree with your assessment, as a wave of fear just poured forth from that place moment's ago. I'm Orin--thanks for your help in this difficult endeavor.

He looks about at the others restlessly.

The environment may not be an immediate danger to us, but I feel we should press on nonetheless. Those ruins seem to have some sort of...sentience. I fear that tarrying here will only make our road more difficult in the long run, as though the ruins are preparing itself to defend against our intrusion.


Ushari looks over to the ruin, trying to stare at it as long as she is able. It is only a few seconds before she is forced to look away. And that is our destination...our doom more likely...still what choice have we?

"I agree with Orin. Time is of the essence. I advise we sail the Mako as close as we can get to it and swim the rest of the way. There must be a way in. Then we leave Isolde aboard to sail back to shore to wait for us." She looks at everyone "A good plan?"


Yep, Speak with Animals

Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
Orin smiles, and approaches Isolde, hand extended in greeting.

Isolde takes his hand in her firm, calloused grip. "Isolde."

She is a lean, muscled woman with brown hair. Her features are angular as if carved by the wind and her skin is tanned like a hide. Her face has creases and wrinkles around the eyes but despite that, determining her age is difficult, somewhere between 40 and 60 perhaps. Even her race is hard to define - human or half-elven at a guess. Her eyes are bright but their color seems to shift subtly from shades of nut brown to forest green. She seems 'solid', as if she might put down roots at any given moment. Her long fingers are bony and rootlike.


STONE-FACED KILLA

So intent is Jayse's blue-eyed stare on the unnatural structure that he misses most of the exchanges on their approach, even staying onboard for a few minutes as the others disembark. Isolde's arrival brings him from his study, though, and he uncoils from his seat, hopping easily onto the sand. As he approaches, he can't help but shoot the structure errant looks. Regardless, he gives the witch a warm smile, extending one tattoo'd hand. "You're always a welcome sight, Isolde… especially in our current situation."

Isolde wrote:
"How can I help? I have only a few potions on me and my skills are... not for facing something like that."

As Isolde returns from fish-talking, Jayse listens to the fish's report. "Any potions you can spare would be helpful. We'll obviously return what is unused when we return, and I'll do my best to pay you back for any that we use." Jayse frowns at Ushari's suggestion that Isolde stay with the Mako. "I don't mean to put words in your mouth, Isolde.." he turns to Ushari, "but I'm uncomfortable asking her to do this. This isn't her fight, and we have no way of knowing what will happen once we get near the structure. Sure, we know of no risks in her being on the Mako right now. But once we get close? I'd feel better knowing that Isolde can put her own safety as her highest priority… whether that means she stays hidden here or tree-travels back to her house until she hears from us." Jayse turns back to the witch, "I don't suppose you have a way for us to easily get across the water without having to swim it?"


"Nice, again, to see you Jayse." She returns his smile hesitantly, clearly unused to the warmth. She hands over a set of small vials on a leather bandolier, each is conveniently labeled. "No payment is needed. Use them well."

I'll roll up the exact potions later and let you know.

Jayse wrote:
"I'd feel better knowing that Isolde can put her own safety as her highest priority... whether that means she stays hidden here or tree-travels back to her house until she hears from us."

She looks around, her eyes falling on the ring of oaks on the bluff. "I will watch and wait there for your return."

Jayse wrote:
"I don't suppose you have a way for us to easily get across the water without having to swim it?""

"I do not think so... not for so many. But you should be able to get very close to the building. I have been to the Hill Tower, close enough to touch its walls. You may be able to anchor your boat very near this thing."


can't post now, but pretty sure I have a rowboat in my robe of useful items. Ha!


DM

Quite possibly the best use of a whacky Robe of Useful Items item evah!


DM

I spy with my little that Orin has a rowboat! So, kids, what's the plan in general terms? Sail over and knock? >:)


Orin pats a pouch on his robe at the mention of sailing up to the ruins.

I can actually get us across the water without putting The Mako in any further danger. Believe it or not, I have a rowboat in here. First, though, I have a few spells that can aid us.

The teacher motions the others closer presumably after checking out Isolde's potions as well and begins making preparations, staying a healthy distance of 80 feet or so from the water.

Sorry, couldn't post until now. Ok, so I want to do the following before dropping the boat in the water, and in this order.

Drink Potion of Darkvision—duration 3 hours
(I have another if anyone needs it)

Cast Heroism on myself—duration 70 minutes

Cast See Invisibility on myself—duration 70 minutes

Cast Scroll of Shield Other on Jayse—duration 3 hrs (we have to stay within 35 ft of each other or the spell ends): UMD difficulty 23 (if you want to wait until we get inside or whatever due to the range restriction, let me know)

UMD DC 23: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

Cast Scroll of Mage Armor on Jayse—duration 1 hr

(I will use my arcane armor training feat for all of these)

Give Potion of Cure Serious to Jayse

Give Potion of Cure Serious to Straehan

I figured me, Jofram, and Ushari can heal ourselves, so Jayse and Strae would benefit most from those potions. I think Jayse has Darkvision from his goggles and Jofram and Strae have low-light vision, so maybe Ushari should take the other potion of Darkvision? I'd recommend her using the other shield other scroll on Jofram.

Finally--Use Belt of Disguise to look exactly like Jofram, except a streak of white hair so the party can tell us apart. After using the illusion to change his appearance, Orin looks at Jofram and shrugs.

Might as well keep our enemies confused. He then turns to Straehan, handing him a parchment. Here, I have a scroll of it too, in case you want to shiny up those boots. Hands over scroll of Disguise Self. Phew, I think that's everything.


DM

The only amendment I'd make there is you can save your Mage Armor scroll, Jayse is able to cast that spell through the Black Stone.

In that vein, Strae will cast Mage Armor on himself.


If Jayse can cast Mage Armor on himself, I'll cast the scroll on Filch then, hehe.


The gnome takes the potion gratefully and then casts a spell of his own and sets a small stone spinning about his head. He looks at the others, "No jokes about me being so fat I've got my own moon."


DM

DMy Stuff:
# Potions 4d4 ⇒ (3, 4, 2, 3) = 12
Efficacy 1d5 ⇒ 4

1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 6
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 20
1d20 ⇒ 6
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 1


Ushari nods in thanks to Orin and downs the potion in one gulp. She then takes the Shield Other scroll and touches Jofram whilst casting it. "Sorry, Jofram. It's either you or Vaelos, he he." She then slips a hand into her pouch and takes the music box out. Activating Skitter, she places it on her shoulder.

"Say hi Skitter. OK I think we are ready. Let's get moving." She glances back at Straehan, a grin on her face. "Is that what they call a lunar eclipse?"


The gnome musters a mild glare, "If we live, remind me to kill you later."


The crab-like box waves a claw at Orin and makes a grinding sound. It appears to be a greeting.

5,701 to 5,750 of 7,012 << first < prev | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.