Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) (Inactive)

Game Master stormraven

High-Power Pathfinder Homespun Game


5,401 to 5,450 of 7,012 << first < prev | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | next > last >>

Am I right in thinking that the Cyclops and I are outside each other's 10ft reach? Also, can I see any safe areas over by Jayse?


DM

Jayse - Everything 'West' is uphill. That would be a Swim roll and yours was more than good enough.

Jayse swims through the churning rock and manages to make headway as the tide recedes to a trickle. He stands up, knee-deep in pumice.

Orin - you and Popeye are just out of range of each other.

From his new height and, as the rock dust begins to clear, Orin can see areas about 50' uphill that appear relatively stable. There is still shifting rock and pumice but it appears to be no more than knee-high at a guess.


Straehan floats gently above the fray and grimaces, unsure of Jayse's position. He can only shout a warning and hope the Monk is clear of the blast radius. "Fire in the HOLE!"

Straehan casts a spell familiar to three of his comrades. A tiny glowing pea launches from his hand and shoots to a spot uphill of the cyclops and detonates in a roaring sphere of flame. The fireball blankets Popeye and brushes against the feet of the allies.

When the glare fades, Popeye is smoldering but very much alive standing in a super-heated bowl of rock.

Round: 3

ORDER: Popeye, Jayse, Straehan, Orin, Ushari, Jofram

On-Going Effects:
ALLIES
Prayer - Rnd: 2 of 7 - +1 Luck to ATTs, Weapon DAM, Saves, Skills

ENEMIES
None

Boom:
Fireball (Spell Specialized)
RANGE: 400' + 40'/level ; 20' radius
EFFECT: 10d6 + 10 ⇒ (1, 3, 2, 3, 6, 6, 2, 5, 6, 1) + 10 = 45 Damage
SR:17 - 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
SAVE: Reflex v DC:21 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 for 1/2


DM

Orin - the Levitate spells puts some additional modifiers on your combat ability. Be sure to check the spell.


Yep, but it shouldn't matter for this turn anyway. :-) BTW, anybody else think it's awesome that the prayer spell was most likely the difference between life and death for Jofram? *cue the Bon Jovi*

Orin studies the cyclops at close range, gauging its strengths. The creature is reckless, fueled by rage. Shouldn't be too hard to dodge him. He looks down at Jofram, struggling to hold onto his hair after suffering a vicious wound. The teacher speaks a word of power and in an instant, he and Jofram are on higher ground, away from the creature's clutches. The hair disentangles from the ranger, shrinking down in size as it retracts.

Swift: Kirin Style lore check on Popeye Knowledge (Nature) DC 15 + CR of Popeye 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 31

Success! Result--If you succeed at the check, while using this style, you gain a +2 bonus on saving throws against that creature’s attacks, as well as a +2 dodge bonus to AC against that creature’s attacks of opportunity. These bonuses last for as long as you use this style.

Standard: Cast Dimension Door on Jofram and I (verbal only, no spell failure chance) I'll go to H-11, he'll go to G-12 (negatives are on purpose this time).

Dimension Door

Forfeited move action due to Dimension Door wording, but FAQ says that only affects the caster, so Jofram can still move this round.


DM

Your Kirin check was successful. I'm assuming you are landing at the end of the D-Door and not continuing to levitate, yes?

One second Jofram is whipping like he's on a rope swing and the next second, Orin and Jofram vanish and re-appear in a pop of out-rushing air far uphill.

Popeye roars in confusion. "HEY, where dey go?!"

NEXT UP... Ushari and Jofram
(since their actions aren't likely to conflict)


Yep, I meant to land on ground level. Jofram, if you can inspire courage as a move action (and I believe you can), you might want to do that before you shoot (if you're going to manyshot again, which I think is a standard action). If this dude gets close I'm going to try to grapple him, and I'm going to need as high of a bonus as I can get for that, hehe.


STONE-FACED KILLA

You can only Manyshot as part of a full-attack.


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Settle down, ladies. Jofram's got this.

Mourning tones rise in the air, a dirge in the language of giants. Singing of the cyclops' approaching doom, Jofram's voice pierces the air, followed by a masterwork arrow that glints in the night.

rolls:
Swift: Activate Armor +3
Move Action: Performance - Inspire Courage +2
Attack: (Arcane Strike, Deadly Aim, Prayer, Inspire, Target Enemy, MW Arrow): 1d20 + 14 + 2 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 14 + 2 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 1 = 42 <-- Crit?
Damage: 1d8 + 5 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 4 = 22 Max Damage = 26
Crit Confirm (Anatomist): 1d20 + 14 + 2 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 14 + 2 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 1 = 29
Crit Damage: 2d8 + 5 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 5 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (5, 7) + 5 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 4 + 5 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 4 = 48


Hmm, was I thinking of the 3.5 version of manyshot, maybe? I don't really use archers. And holy crap, Jofram is friggin' deadly!


DM

Jofram adjusts for the wind coming off the hillside...
as well as the shifting cross-currents from the avalanche...
and compensates for the density of the stone-dust filling the air...

To fire a single arrow perfectly into a finger-width gap in the cyclops' hand-stitched armor and into the creature's spine - between the industrial strength vertebrae. Popeye's back spasms and he roars his pain before whipping around to spy his enemy. He is deeply wounded but not out of this fight yet.

NEXT UP... Ushari


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

BRB - I have some lotto tickets to buy.


Jofram, could 'Shari rub your belly for good luck?

Ushari is again amazed at the targeting prowess of the ranger who she has known for only a couple of weeks. She debates whether she could reach him to give him some healing but it would take too long.

That thug will be out foir blood now, need to buy some time here... hope this works...

Ushari points at the cyclops and chants a divine prayer, willing his muscles to freeze in place.

Move: Fly to H-4 up 30' (total height 60')
Standard: Cast Hold Person on Popeye. Will save DC 17
Caster level check 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 7 + 1 = 23 prayer.


DM

Ushari's spell fails to enslave the mind of the enraged cyclops.

Will Save DC:17 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Next UP... Popeye

ORIN - an AoO, if you please.


Trip attempt with hair

1d20 + 7 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 7 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 = 42

As the giant tries to lumber past Orin his hair whips around, latching onto the creature's ankles and jerking upward violently.


STONE-FACED KILLA

CLUTCH! (hopefully)


READ ME:
It's not clear to me that a Hair AoO would work in quite that way. The write up is a bit non-standard and, I think, open to interpretation since it doesn't conform to a standard CM attack. For this battle, we'll go with the way you're expecting and then we can hash it out in the OOC.

FWIW, guys, when you are throwing in attacks with a stack of modifiers, I'd love to see you post the mods the first time they appear. Like so... "Hulk SMASH <ATT Dice+5-2+1+1+4> <DAM Dice> Base, Power Attack, Prayer, Inspire, Fav Enemy".

Orin's hair flows through the pumice undetected, like a python. A thick strand lashes around the cyclop's ankle and yanks it off its feet as it rushes towards both Orin and Jofram. Popeye topples and slams down in a splash of stone dust. But the prescient vision of the cyclops is such that it sees the ruination of its plan to slay both men with a single slash. Instead, it vents its rage on Orin alone - delivering a faultless horizontal slash that would nearly have cut the witch in half at the hip-joint... had it not ddestroyed one of the shifting images instead.

Nevermind. :)...

MOVE: Close w/ Jofram & Orin
STAND: Attack
IMMEDIATE: Flash of Insight (Auto 20 on first attack roll)

Round: 4

ORDER: Popeye, Jayse, Straehan, Orin, Ushari, Jofram

Map: 30 Degrees of Battle

[ooc]Ja's HPs: 70|70
Jo's HPs: 33|79
Ov's HPs: 21|72
Uv's HPs: 52|52
St's HPs: 60|60

On-Going Effects:
ALLIES
Prayer - Rnd: 4 of 7 - +1 Luck to ATTs, Weapon DAM, Saves, Skills
Inspire - Rnd: 1 of 12 - +2 Morale to Charm/Fear Saves, Weapon ATT & DAM

ENEMIES
None

rolls:
Greataxe (20/x3) - Great Cleave
@ Orin
HIT (Insight): 20 + 21 - 4 = 37 Crit?
Confirm: 1d20 + 21 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 21 - 4 = 34 Yes
Total DAM: 18 + 12 + 3d6 + 12 ⇒ 18 + 12 + (5, 2, 2) + 12 = 51

Mirror Images: 1d7 ⇒ 3 1 = Our Hero... NO!


Before I roll, I have 6 mirror images, so he only has a one in 7 chance of hitting me. And I REALLY hope he hits an image. :-) In a little while I'll type all my modifiers' descriptions.


DM

Gah! I missed that. I forgot you had Mirror Images up. Don't roll yet... Resolved. :( Dammit, I don't get to snap your character in half in your first battle. Color me disappointed.


STONE-FACED KILLA

A voice presents itself from next to the cyclops's head, "Drop the axe and stay on the ground or we finish you off!" Invisibly, Jayse has made his way as quietly as possible next to the cyclops and now stands ready to deliver some punishment should the cyclops do anything but obey.

MOVE: Move silently to F-9. Stealth 1d20 + 13 + 1 + 20 ⇒ (2) + 13 + 1 + 20 = 36; prayer, Vanish.
STAN: Ready a two-handed mind blade strike (including psychic strike).
.
Mindblade 1d20 + 15 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 15 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 2 = 22; prayer, Invisible, Inspire, Power Attack.
---> Damage 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 6 + 1d6 + 2d8 ⇒ (3) + 12 + 2 + 6 + (5) + (2, 7) = 37; Inspire, Power Attack, shocking, Psychic Strike.

Status:
HP 70/70
AC 25 • Touch 19 • FF 22
CMD 32 • FF 29 (+2 vs. Grapple/Trip)
Fort +8 Reflex +8 Will +10
.
Effects/Conditions: Mage Armor, Vanish (rd 3/7), Prayer (rd 4/7), Inspire
.
Power Points 6/11
Ki 3/8
Stunning Fist 4/7
Hero Points 1


Popeye is startled to see the monk appear next to him, holding a wicked looking glowing blade. He looks hard at Jayse, distrust evident. "If I drop axe, how I know you won't kill me anyways?"

Perception 1d20 + 16 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 16 + 5 = 23 Circumstantial
Morale 1d100 - 20 ⇒ (23) - 20 = 3

Jayse, if you are going to try to convince him - that'll take a Diplo or Intimidate roll - and Intimidate, if it fails, will guarantee escalation.


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

SR:
You also may need to adjust Orin's HP in your next listing, unless I mistook something in there.


DM

Jofram:
Thanks, Jimmy. It's been adjusted on my master sheet, I just haven't updated it here. :)


STONE-FACED KILLA

It was more of an ultimatum, but I'm game for an Intimidate check. :)
Intimidate 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21.

"Guess you're gonna have to live with that gamble. You're definitely dead if you don't."

EDIT: Especially when it comes up 20. :D


Popeye weighs the odds for a long moment before setting the axe down while sitting up slowly. The blade is still close at hand. He doesn't trust Jayse's lack of assurances and it seems clear that he'd rather die with a blade in hand, if it comes to that.

Here's the deal, Popeye won't go for the blade or make any attacks provided you don't either. If anyone tries to get the blade away from him, or something tricky along those lines, you're sure it will precipitate bloodshed.

Combat OVER?


STONE-FACED KILLA

Not really sure... Jofram may have another three of four crits to jam in his face. :D

Jayse shrugs, not dropping is blade, "You're the one who started this dance, big guy... the fact that we haven't put you in the ground already should speak volumes." He looks the cyclops over, "So who are you and why did you attack us?"


Popeye grumbles. "My mountain. My cave. My home. You are trespassers and I am hungry. Small two-eyes stay in valleys and rivers. Mountains belong to us."


Ushari ses the brutish cyclops lay down his weapon and breathes a sigh of relief. Keeping a close eye on him, she flies over him and hovers well out of reach of his axe 25' up in square G-12 and calls down to him. "We have no quarrel with you and we did not mean to intrude in your territory. If you truly mean to end this fight, then I can heal your wounds. I will do this for you...if you would answer some questions for us first."

Basically Usahri is waiting for Popeye to respond peacefully here to her question. If so, then she will Channel Energy here and include Popeye in the effect. If not, then she will exclude Popeye from the Channel.
Diplomacy 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 12 + 1 = 14 prayer
Channel 4d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 5, 4) = 20
...and RESUME COMBAT, he he.


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead
Ushari Velnokal wrote:
"We have no quarrel with you and we did not mean to intrude in your territory.

No quarrel? muses Jofram, struggling to hide the pain of his likely broken ribs. Speak for yourself, kid.

Biting down on the thought, the ranger eases his draw on the bow, but adjusts the knock to allow the polished arrowhead to catch the faint light.

Let him him know that I have no qualms with putting him down where he lay.

Consider the above communicated through Jofram's body language.


He eyes the flying cleric then his downed axe, as if it answers her question. "I agree. What questions?"

He glances at Jofram and his bow. "I understand you more."

I'll update your HP and post the new totals when I can. I've got that on a different computer.


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse regards the brute. He maintains his blue blade's presence near its body, but gives his powder-covered coat some ineffectual swipes with a frown. "For starters, what do the... 'small two-eyes' call those two villages down there?"

Trying to establish where we are.


Popeye rubs his bald scalp and points to the nearer, Northern glow. "That one is called Fin or something like that. Don't know other one - but it is much bigger."

1d20 ⇒ 2


DM

Ja's HPs: 70|70
Jo's HPs: 53|79
Ov's HPs: 72|72
Uv's HPs: 52|52
St's HPs: 60|60


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

< "Do you know how large this land is? Is it an island, or much bigger? Can you see the ocean from your* mountain?" >

If it's cool, for the sake of time, I'll just post out of spoilers, assuming that I will let the others know his responses, once given. <Giant's language in angle brackets.>

*Jofram will definitely concede that the mountain is the territory cyclops, hopefully setting him more at ease.


Popeye puzzles through the question before replying in rumbling Giantish, <"You can maybe see the Great Water from the far Southern mountains, but not from here. South is closest ocean.">

I've got no problem with you doing <bracketed> Giantish. In case it isn't clear, you are still on Amador Isle, just on the other side of the the mountain range from Orfallen - approximately 1/3 the way across the island now. Due to his poor roll, Popeye is misstating the village name 'Flyn' as 'Fin'. If you check the map-link below, the very first map, you can see approximately where you are. On the mountains somewhere below Flyn and well above Far Corvosa.

Map


Ushari waits for Jofram's translation before she asks another question, "Do you know anything of the small two eyes who are from the hunam-place called Fin?"


Seeing Jofram is still wounded, Orin will approach him.

Well fought, friend. Stand still and I'll heal you.

Swift: Arcane Armor Mastery
Standard: CLW 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

After that, if I can take another turn without another combat ensuing, I will use one of my pearls of power to regain CLW again.

What places have you been here besides Orfallen? Would Far Corvosa have a ship we could take to Orfallen, if you guys need to get back there?


Ushari wrote:
"Do you know anything of the small two eyes who are from the human-place called Fin?"

His tone is incredulous, "They are farmers." It seems a nonsensical occupation to him, like saying they herd rocks.

Ja's HPs: 70|70
Jo's HPs: 59|79
Ov's HPs: 72|72
Uv's HPs: 52|52
St's HPs: 60|60

Orin - the crew has been up and down the West coast of the island but never to Far Corvosa. The Isles have a heavy maritime bent so it is almost a given that the major cities have trade ships moving between them.


I guess that makes sense in a game called "Great Southern Isles" ;-) That was a pretty big "duh" on my part, hehe.


Yeah, this has been quite the maritime campaign, esp considering how it started, he he. Seriously I wasn't worried about getting back to Orfallen, although the Mako might be impounded for nonpayment of the anchorage fees...Ushari wanted to check into rumors of one of Dinwat's associates who may be located in Flyn.

Ushari shakes her head slightly. As if farming is a BAD thing..."OK, so you don't like farmers. I just wanted to know if any of the small two-eyes ever traveled to talk to you, to perform any tasks for them."


Popeye looks as if the idea of humans approaching him is insane. "No. Two eyes run from our mountains."


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse smirks, "Well, most of them, anyway." Jayse allows his blade to dissipate, still wiping his clothes in a useless attempt to get the coating of gray rock off as he looks at the pile of rubble covering the door back to Crossroads. "Were a long way from home, folks. We wanna see if our boy here can help us clear the door?" He looks over at Ushari, giving up on his coat-wiping, "Or do you want to take this opportunity to look into that whole H.C. thing? I gotta say I'd rather be looking for hidden pirate treasure, but I'm open to suggestions."

He looks over at the cyclops, even seated they were eye to eye. "So what's your name, big guy?"


"Rumblestone." says Rumblestone, hooking a meaty thumb the size of a pheasant at himself.


DM

Jayse, you'll understand if I wait to have Strae voice an opinion until after everyone has had their say on what they'd like to do. :)


Usahri alights on the ground next to Jofram, and decides he is still looking a little injured. She channels her deities healing power and and allows the healing to wash over him.

Convert spell Divine Strike to CLW 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

She looks around her, her gaze lingering at the rubble burying the door back to Crossroads.She then looks back at Rumblestone. Sighing softly, she gives the monk a tired look. "While I do want to check out that lead we discovered earlier, I would feel better if I were better..." she looks down at the dress and heels she is still wearing, "equipped." She glances at Orin. "Of course, not everyone has a vested interest in checking into this L.C. person."


This place seems as good as any to explore. . He shrugs.


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse looks at Jofram, "You have an opinion?"


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Jofram shrugs in response, then immediately regrets it as his ribs scream protest.

"I think the larger town would serve us better. More likely to have equipment for Ushari, and information - just as valuable, in it's own way."


DM

Jofram feels his pain ease quite a bit under the combined healing effects.

Ja's HPs: 70|70
Jo's HPs: 65|79
Ov's HPs: 72|72
Uv's HPs: 52|52
St's HPs: 60|60


STONE-FACED KILLA

As Jofram answers, Jayse makes his way over to where the door to Crossroads now lies buried... hopping easily from one hopefully-firm spot to the next.

Trying to determine exactly how much rock is piled up on the door, he speaks up, "Rumblestone. If you decided to, how difficult would it be for you to unearth the door that was here a few minutes ago?"

5,401 to 5,450 of 7,012 << first < prev | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.