Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

[SFS] GM kuey's The Commencement (SFS #1-01) - PbP GD6

Game Master kuey

maps and handouts


1 to 50 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

If you've been accepted to the game, please ninja-dot here, i.e. post something then delete the post so to not clutter the gameplay thread.

Sovereign Court

After your simple graduation ceremony, signalling your official recruitment into the Starfinder Society, Guidance, the Society’s compiled intelligence of Starfinder personalities, summons you to the Lorespire Complex.

As the doors to the Lorespire Complex slide open, a green holographic image of a middle-aged human woman shimmers into view at the center of the room. “Greetings,” it says. “I am Guidance. Please use the cheek swabs in the open receptacle to provide a genetic sample for Starfinder Society identification purposes. If desired, you may place your hand on the glowing panel to receive a subdermal implant further marking you as a member of the Society.”

Please indicate whether you wish to comply or otherwise.

“It is our pleasure to officially welcome you into the Starfinder Society. Today is the commencement of your new role as a Starfinder field agent. It is our tradition, at the end of the graduation ceremony, for new graduates to present themselves to the heads of our most prominent factions and complete a task at those leaders’ behest. This allows the leaders of these groups to become familiar with all new Starfinder agents, and it provides a constant supply of agents for handling situations in our holdings on Absalom Station. While these tasks were formerly symbolic, the heavy loss of Starfinder agents in the Scoured Stars necessitates that these missions become something more. Please treat any tasks given with the gravity you would grant any other Starfinder assignment.”

Guidance provides an overview of the factions (see Handout #1 in maps and handouts) and explains that once you have completed the faction leader’s desired mission, that leader will signal Guidance to indicate the mission is finished. Once all missions are complete, Guidance requests that you return to the Lorespire Complex to finish your commencement and prepare for future missions.

Some of you might know about Absalom Station from your time spent here or from your research.
(Based your Culture check, you know all of the information with a DC less than or equal to the result of their check.)

5+:
Absalom Station is the cultural hub of the Pact Worlds. Races from every planet in the system, including those once prominent on lost Golarion, can be found on the station.

10+:
People around the station are increasingly amenable to Starfinders. They respect both the dogged veteran field agents who were not lost in the Scoured Stars disaster and the new recruits, whose presence brings renewed hope. Stating one’s association with the Starfinder Society is likely to garner support from the locals of Absalom Station.

15+:
A host of starships, known locally as the Armada, orbits Absalom Station. Ships from the Armada are often starships that have taken advantage of the station’s Starstone core—a mystical device that allows for quick travel through the Drift back to Absalom Station. The ships of this fleet are increasingly at risk of bringing back undetected alien life, simply because the policing Stewards lack the numbers to search every orbiting ship.

Based on the socialising that you have done while on Absalom Station prior to this, you might know even more.
(Based on your Diplomacy check to perform the gather information task, you learn all of the information with a DC less than or equal to the result of your check.)

5+:
Everyone is excited about the upcoming junkrace. Apparently some nobody mouthed off to Ratrod, the reigning junkrace champion. People know that trash talking really gets under Ratrod’s fur and wonder whether there will be more harsh words exchanged before the race.

10+:
The latest prerelease song from sugar-pop sensation Strawberry Machine Cake is about to be released. Unlike previous releases, the band is putting out a limited-edition physical copy prior to the concert when the released single and additional tracks are scheduled to debut and become available in digital form.

15+:
Word on the street is that a dangerous alien predator got loose somewhere in the Downlow district of the station. The creature is now contained in a warehouse, but not after it impaled a security officer with a harpoon-like natural projectile.

At this time, you may finalise your boon slots. Please indicate in your character profile page. (See page 7 of the SFS Guild Guide. Any questions, please direct them at the discussion page. This might be the first time for you guys.)

Wayfinders

Female CG Human Hotshot 1.1 | SP 6/6 | HP 10/10 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort 0; Ref +6; Will +4 | Init: +6 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 30ft |

Eli raises an eyebrow and grins at the mention of cheek swipes - she inquires further.

"Guidance, are the subdermals traceable? Do agents provide a swipe every time they enter the complex without it?"

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

Boons set, not that I have many to do so...
Culture: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (9) + (2) + 8 = 19

Madrigal rubs her hands together, happy to finally be an official part of the Starfinder Organization.

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

Daramak gives Guidance a stiff salute out of habit and stands at attention while she speaks. He submits to the cheek swab and subdermal implant without question; he's used to both cybernetic implants and following orders.

Culture, untrained: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 12

Boons: Dataphiles Champion, Welcome to Starfinder Society (Elixer of Renewal) (also listed in profile)

Exo-Guardians

Male LN vesk bounty hunter soldier 1 | SP 9/9 HP 13/13 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; +2vsfear | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

"I will not be tagged like a beast when a cheek swab will suffice. What is the benefit to the implant?" Hakrinag asks while swabbing the inside of his cheek.

"Guidance, what missions do you have for us? We are eager to begin!" he declares, cracking his knuckles and rolling his neck. I've been itching to try out my reaction cannon. This will be an exhilarating hunting method.

Dataphiles

Male-ish NG Android Scholar Mechanic (Exocortex) 1 | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4, Recall knowldege reroll 1/1 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +0 (+2 vs. disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: -2 | Speed: 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Asier gladly takes a cheek swab and drops it into the receptacle. "I didn't realize that cheek swabs worked on andriods. Also my data might be on file already. Asier 16, 19, 22, 23-0, -3 and -5 were all in the Society and I doubt our Distinct Number Assignment has changed at all." He then steps up to the glowing terminal and places one of his hands over it.

"If we get to choose which faction we can help first can I recommend the Dataphiles? I really want to see their headquarters! I didn't get a chance to before our training mission and we've been to busy with laundry and other things since then!"

Exo-Guardians

Female Android Technomancer 1 | Init: +3 | Perception: +0, Darkvision 60', Low-light Vision | Speed 40' | SP: 5/5, HP: 9/9, RP: 5/5 | EAC: 14, KAC: 16, CMAC: 24 | Fort: +0 (+2 vs disease & poison), Ref: +3, Will: +2 (+2 vs mind-affecting & sleep) | 1st Level Spells: 2/3

Antares nods at the others and steps forward to provide a swab and accept the implant. Obviously an android, with circuits of pale violet thrumming just beneath her skin, she sports hair of dark purple, in a punk style that seems to be a growing trend among her kind. A simple tactical pistol is holstered at one hip, and on the other is an energy pistol of some kind - those familiar with the weapon recognize the static arc pistol.

Though outwardly calm and reserved, the android is glad to be taking her first step in joining the Starfinders. Beyond the fact that they rescued her, this is the first step to learning more of the varied civilizations to be found among the stars. Perhaps even the one responsible for her creation. In response to the conversation around her, Antares speaks. "For myself, I am eager to meet Zigvigix, but I am content to begin with whichever mission the others might choose. I am quite patient."

Culture Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Diplomacy Check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

I need to look into boons, I'll have an answer soon. Filled out the check-in sheet as well, do you want Day Job rolls now, or later?

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

Looking at the palm of his left hand where the subdermal chip was implanted, Daramak says "I wouldn't worry too much about the subdermals. Most likely they're holotags; for identification purposes should one of us end up needing a closed casket funeral." He opens and closes his hand thoughtfully for a moment and adds "But then, I suppose they could also be designed to burst a blood vessel or release toxins into the bloodstream should we be captured or go rogue..."

I know this is a long shot, but is there any chance of using a knowledge check to learn more about the chips? I'll include rolls, just in case.

knowledge rolls for chips:
engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
medicine: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Sovereign Court

The hologram first turns to Eli and Hakrinag. "The Society subdermal graft implant rests underneath the skin of the palm of one hand, or at the end of a tentacle or similar appendage in species that lack hands. The augmentation can be activated or deactivated mentally (as a swift action). Activating the implant causes a rendition of the Starfinder Society’s symbol to glow underneath the skin. This augmentation acts as a mark, letting others know you are a member of the Starfinder Society. It also increases the light level within 5 feet by one step while active. You are not required to scan the implant upon entering the Lorespire Complex main compounds as they are open to the public. Access to restricted areas are controlled be via genetic recognition, not via such grafts. Nonetheless, it serves as a convenient identification mark for agents out in fields. I do not have information on whether such grafts can be traced but I can project that with sufficiently powerful magic or advanced technology, that would indeed be possible."

I made up that last part. What impact having or not having the graft would have on future scenarios is anyone's guess. :) You have up to the end of this scenario to decide.

Turning to Daramak, it continues, "And rest assured that the graft is not a auto-destruction mechanism. The source of the strength of the Starfinder Society lies in the liberty each agent possesses. Although at times they have run counter to the Society's short-term goals, on a long-term basis, such freedom have only furthered them."

Daramak:
The implant's functions seems to be as the Guidance has described.

Finally turning to Asier-23-7, it continues, "Indeed, even androids have unique identification patterns recognisable patterns at the cellular level. The construction process of androids comprise artifically grown semi-organic controlled by protein strains not unlike organic DNA. Each android is unique due to spontaneous and unpredictable mutation of the source DNA."

"You may now proceed to meet with the four faction leaders and complete their missions." With that as a farewell, the Guidance fades away from view.

If there are no strong objections, would like to propose: Dataphiles, Wayfinders, Acquisitives, Exo-Guardians. I'll explain at the end why I chose that order but generally, I feel that it gives a nice sequencing of different types of activities.

Exo-Guardians

Female Android Technomancer 1 | Init: +3 | Perception: +0, Darkvision 60', Low-light Vision | Speed 40' | SP: 5/5, HP: 9/9, RP: 5/5 | EAC: 14, KAC: 16, CMAC: 24 | Fort: +0 (+2 vs disease & poison), Ref: +3, Will: +2 (+2 vs mind-affecting & sleep) | 1st Level Spells: 2/3

Antares glances once at her hand after receiving the implant, then turns away once Guidance fades away. "So. The Dataphiles first? Historia-7 is their leader according to what Guidance told us, correct? Shall we see what is required of us there?" There is a brief pause, and then the android speaks again. "I do apologize, it has only been quite recently that I have been exposed to others, and I am unused to some of the social customs. We are strangers, so it seems very unlikely you know my name. I am Antares."

Dataphiles

Male-ish NG Android Scholar Mechanic (Exocortex) 1 | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4, Recall knowldege reroll 1/1 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +0 (+2 vs. disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: -2 | Speed: 30ft | Active conditions: None.

The other android in the group, whose outward appearance looks like a man in his mid-forties but has the energy of a small child takes up Antares' hand and gives it a shake. "I'm Asier-23-7. And we're going to met the Historia-7? I have always wanted to meet her. Let's go!"

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

Daramak activates and examines his new implant. In response to Guidance's explanation of its purpose, he says "Good enough for me." He turns off the chip and lets out a satisfied grunt.

After Antares' and Asier-23-7's introductions, Daramak introduces himself "Name's Daramak. Fuse Tender 1st Class, VCS Amphisbaena, Veskarium Navy. Retired. You can call me Mak. Or not, I'm not picky."

Daramak nods at the suggestion to visit the Dataphiles first. If anyone can help advance my investigation into the Scoured Stars Incident, it'll be the Dataphiles. I should do what I can to ingratiate myself with their leadership.

No objections here to the proposed sequencing.

Exo-Guardians

Male LN vesk bounty hunter soldier 1 | SP 9/9 HP 13/13 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; +2vsfear | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

"I'll pass on the implant," Hakrinag snorts. While introductions take place, he takes a seat and unslings his reaction cannon and an oiled rag. "I am Hakrinag Bonecrusher. I come from a long line of mighty vesk hunters," he says while cleaning his weapon. And so far, I've been living up to my family's lineage. The Society has proven very promising in that regard.

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

"While I am not one who appreciates body augmentation, a quick way to tell a society member from another quickly, even without identification, would be a good thing for me. I will accept the offer"

Madrigal continues: "As for the order to go? I have no preference."

Sovereign Court

Eli, let me know if you want the implant.
Onto Historia-7!

Mission - Dataphiles
Some of you might know about Historia-7, either from what you have read or hearing people talk.
(Based your Culture check or Diplomacy (Gather Information), you know all of the information with a DC less than or equal to the result of their check.)

DC10+:
Historia-7 (LN female android mechanic) manages the activities of the Dataphiles within the Archives compound of the Lorespire Complex. She took on her name when she became an apprentice to the former head of the Dataphiles, the reclusive Historia-6. Ever since her mentor disappeared in the Scoured Stars incident, she has assumed leadership of the faction.

DC15+:
Historia-7 follows herpredecessor’s meticulous methods of data analysis, but she has become somewhat obsessed with the idea that other organizations are somehow responsible for withholding data relating to the Scoured Stars. As a result, much of the Dataphiles’ current operations involve the active investigation and infiltration of other institutions, both within and beyond the Pact Worlds.

The Lorespire Complex, home and heart of the Starfinder Society, is a striking campus dedicated to knowledge. Communal labs and historical departments study the Archives’ massive collection of artifacts and texts, gathered by generations of agents from across the galaxy. A quick search of the directory indicates Historia-7 frequents the Archives’ Cortex, a computerized matrix containing digital records of the Starfinder Society’s most prominent discoveries.

The android reclines on a raised chair and is plugged into the local infosphere when the doors open. The neural cables detach themselves from her neck as she swivels in her seat to address the new arrivals. “Greetings, Starfinders,” she says calmly. “I am Historia-7. If you are seeking a mission from me, please be aware that my request requires both discretion and speed. Do not accept it if you feel incapable of working within these parameters."

“I discovered someone recently hacked into Bluerise Tower’s computer systems and stole a large amount of sensitive data from the resident corporations. I wish to be privy to this information. I managed to trace the hacker’s location through many proxies and erased the trail so that station and corporate security should be delayed in their pursuit. This deception will not fool them for long, so you must move quickly to retrieve the data before they can recover it. I will leave you to decide what to do with the hacker afterward, but should it be feasible, I believe that person would be an asset to the Society.”

maps and handouts updated with her picture. Very anime feel.

Exo-Guardians

Female Android Technomancer 1 | Init: +3 | Perception: +0, Darkvision 60', Low-light Vision | Speed 40' | SP: 5/5, HP: 9/9, RP: 5/5 | EAC: 14, KAC: 16, CMAC: 24 | Fort: +0 (+2 vs disease & poison), Ref: +3, Will: +2 (+2 vs mind-affecting & sleep) | 1st Level Spells: 2/3

Culture Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Antares cocks her head in a curious gesture. "Please excuse me if I am overlooking the obvious, but should this hacker not be arrested for their actions? Is there a reason that the Dataphiles are seeking to protect this person from corporate security?" The technomancer is fairly certain from what she has heard of Historia-7 that the reasons for her assignment are not strictly legal in the truest sense of the word. Though that doesn't particularly bother Antares. She is mostly curious as to how the Dataphiles leader will answer the rather direct question.

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 6

Do we need to pick culture or diplomacy, or can we try one of each? (Sorry if this is a dumb question)

As soon as Historia-7 finishes the briefing, Daramak connects his comm unit to the local infosphere and pulls up any information he can about Bluerise Towers. Assuming Historia-7 gives us the location that she traced the hacker to, he also downloads a map of the area and starts planning possible entry and escape routes.

"Speed and discretion, yes sir." Addressing the party, Daramak asks "Shall I arrange transportation? It looks like we'll need two taxis, unless the Society has a motor pool."

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

Diplomacy(Gather Information): 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (11) + (4) + 8 = 23

"Discretion? That we can do." Madrigal pokes Daramak in the side. "Speed, well, that may be difficult."

Exo-Guardians

Male LN vesk bounty hunter soldier 1 | SP 9/9 HP 13/13 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; +2vsfear | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

Hakrinag grunts in approval. "I'll do as you ask. Have you tech people done your thing? We should get going," he says, barely through the door and already starting to head out.

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

Somewhat sheepishly, Daramak says "Apologies. I'm afraid my armor was designed for protection at the expense of mobility. I've been meaning to retrofit it with some servos at the joints, but I'm a bit low on credits at the moment."

"I'm not sure discretion will be easy either," he says, nodding towards Hakrinag and the reaction cannon he carries. "Still, leadership must have some confidence in our capabilities; we would never have been given this assignment otherwise."

Sovereign Court

Daramak, yes in this case as it states one or the other, you can only choose one skill to roll.

Antares-1 wrote:
"Please excuse me if I am overlooking the obvious, but should this hacker not be arrested for their actions? Is there a reason that the Dataphiles are seeking to protect this person from corporate security?"

"My fellow android, that is indeed a valid question. And if the circumstances were different, you would find the Starfinder Society cooperating fully with the Absalom Station authorities. However, I have come to learn after years of apprenticeship that matters are not always so clear cut. The Bluerise Tower is a private office structure maintained by multiple corporations and for some reason, it is legally protected to the point that even the station’s Stewards have difficulty entering. Why these corporations need such absolute sovereignty over their own affairs is of suspect - I fear they might have connections to some level of the government. This crack in the security is a one and only opportunity to peer into what's happening within. Let us find out more first; after that if necessary, we can always go to the authorities. Honestly, I fear though that should we go down that route, the hacker and all their information would mysteriously disappear."

She then turns to Daramak. "I would rather not call attention to the Starfinder Society unnecessarily, so hailing a cab would be fine." She then gives you the coordinates and waves you on your way.

Sovereign Court

The flat that Historia-7 directs you to is located in Drifter’s End, a district in the station’s Ring known for providing cheap housing to vagabonds of all sorts. When you arrive, you find an apartment that resembles a cement cube, with several tomato plants in plastic barrels sitting on an otherwise barren porch. Boxes of nutrient broth, gardening tools, and various cultural knickknacks clutter the floor of the flat, leaving barely any room for visitors to sit down. A young man is hand-pollinating the plants, and has yet to notice you arriving.

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Do I see anything suspicious? First pass this doesn't look to be the home of hacker, especially one that a head of an organization wants data from....

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (13) + (6) + 8 = 27
"Hello there! Lovely garden you have here. Do you plant anything else besides tomatoes?" Madrigal walks up to the man and offers her hand to shake. "My name is Madrigal, what's yours?"

Either we can try the diplomatic approach, or I can keep the person occupied and you guys attempt to sneak in.

Exo-Guardians

Male LN vesk bounty hunter soldier 1 | SP 9/9 HP 13/13 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; +2vsfear | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

Hakrinag keeps his distance, ready to pounce on the person if they decide to run away. The guilty ones always try to make a break for it... Hopefully Madrigal keeps them calm and gets us into that house.

Exo-Guardians

Female Android Technomancer 1 | Init: +3 | Perception: +0, Darkvision 60', Low-light Vision | Speed 40' | SP: 5/5, HP: 9/9, RP: 5/5 | EAC: 14, KAC: 16, CMAC: 24 | Fort: +0 (+2 vs disease & poison), Ref: +3, Will: +2 (+2 vs mind-affecting & sleep) | 1st Level Spells: 2/3

"I understand completely, thank you for the explanation Historia-7." Antares responds, bowing slightly in a sign of respect. In truth, the Dataphiles' leader's answer is not only sensible, but also quite ominous in the mind of the technomancer. Though a government might not always work perfectly, at least it usually functions on behalf of all peoples it represents. If this Bluerise Tower is hoarding power and information for its own pursuits, perhaps even from the government...

Antares thinks on what they've learned as they journey to the flat. She glances around at the makeshift garden as the group disembarks from the public transport vehicle. She glances at the young man, and then turns to the others, pausing to let another take the lead here. The android knows that she would make a poor spokesperson here, given that their effort will require... a clandestine approach if they are to learn the whereabouts and identity of the hacker they seek. In almost the same moment, the Lashunta steps forward and speaks. Antares keeps an eye on the surroundings, watching to see if anyone is showing particular interest, either from the apartment itself or anywhere else within visual range.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4

Ha! Three of us posted in about the same span of minutes there. Nice. :)

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

As the taxis approach the flat, Daramak speaks quietly into his comm unit "That looks like the place. Easily fortified, could be difficult to get into if we go in loud. Our hacker has more important things to be doing than gardening, so that's probably a bodyguard. There could be others inside or around back."

After a few moments of thought, he adds "I'm starting to think the hacker might not be working alone. If he's half as good as we've been led to believe, then he knows he left a trail. He can't hold out in that flat against station security forever, so I'm thinking this is a rendezvous site. We have to assume that either security or the hacker's friends will show up at any moment."

Daramak approaches the gardener with Madrigal, staying a few paces behind and looking uninterested in the conversation. He looks around, trying to spot danger.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

I'm not sneaking anywhere in this tin can I'm wearing, I should stay here in case Madrigal runs into trouble. Does this team even have an infiltration specialist?

Sovereign Court

While Hakrinag stands some distance way, ready to pounce should the young man attempt to flee, Anatares-1 and Daramak stands nearer, keeping a watch on what's happening. Madrigal, however, goes forward warmly and introduces herself.

The young man turns around, and gives Madrigal a bright and warm smile. He looks guilelessly at the other five strangers, and does not seem to give them any heed. Instead, he walks up to Madrigal and grasps her offered hand, not even brushing off the dirt off his hand before doing so. "Hello! Madigar? That's a nice name! My name is Jubair! Sounds like yours! Yes, my garden is lovely! My tomatoes are really sweet! Do you want some?" He then looks a bit sad. "No, I only know how to grow tomatoes. Took me a long time to learn. Can you teach me?"

You are starting to realise that the young man is a little... slow.

From within the apartment, the raspy voice of what sounds like an elderly old woman calls out, "Jubair? Who are you talking to? Do we have guests?"

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (14) + (5) + 6 = 25

Is this guy for real? Did Historia-7 make a mistake? Something is fishy here.

Madrigal turns to look at her comrades and cocks her head in curiosity, and even manages to raise her eyebrow.

"Jubair, nice name. Can you please introduce us to the person inside? And yes, I would love a tomato or two.

Dataphiles

Male-ish NG Android Scholar Mechanic (Exocortex) 1 | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4, Recall knowldege reroll 1/1 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +0 (+2 vs. disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: -2 | Speed: 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Sorry for not posting much this weekend, It turned out to be busier than I had expected.

Belated Histroia office:
In Historia's office, Asier spends most of the time looking around the place and watching the android herself. I can't believe I am meeting the Historia. They were all anyone at the Artifical Advancement Academy of Aballon, Absalom and Akiton: Android and Abiological Alien Arm talked about. She's so pretty and precise! I can't believe she has an assignment for us...

Lost in thought like this he mostly loses the thread of the conversation, relying on Suzuta, his exocortex to record and point out any interesting tidbits. Towards the end of the conversation the AI prompts Asier to act on one of them. "So we are rescuing this hacker to see if there are even larger illegal activities than hacking a company going on? I guess from a utilitarian perspective that would make rescuing and sheltering them okay."

Asier spends the trip to from the 'Spire to the indicated address in a daze, still in a bit of shock about meeting Historia-7. When he finally realizes the rest of the group has started moving, he glances around at everyone else. Seemingly at a loss about what to do he stands there for a few moments until the man starts talking and proves to be harmless.

Deciding to back up Madrigal he moves closer to her group and adds a few words himself. "Wow, you grew those tomatos yourself? I've never had a real tomato, could I have one too? Also, do you have a sibling or someone living with you?"

Sovereign Court

Madrigal does not sense any deception from the man who has introduced himself as Jubair. Either he is really masterful, or he is really as he appears, a simple young man growing tomatoes.

"You would? Here, and here!" Jubair plucks out two bright red tomatoes practically bursting with ripeness. If you bite into them, their sweetness simply overwhelms you.

"No, I have no sibling. I just live with grannie. She says I can't bring strangers home. But I could ask her to come out! Grannie!!!" After a short while, a wizened old woman in a blue-and-white abaya, balancing herself with a gnarled walking stick, steps out of the apartment. She looks at you curiously and frowns a little when she see the well-armored and heavily-armed strangers at her doorstep. She nonetheless maintains her composure and in a trembling but firm voice, asks, "Yes, can I help you?"

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

Honesty is the best policy...
"Hello ma'am. My name is Madrigal. My companions and I were asked to track down some stolen information. The hacked data was traced to this location. But something isn't right here. You and your grandson don't appear to be who we are looking for. Do you have a computer in the house? Maybe the data was relaid through it, which led us to you."

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

Seeing that the woman is unnerved, Daramak slowly lifts his hands away from his rifle in a non-threatening gesture. He tries to look as friendly as possible for an armed, six foot tall, 200 pound carnivorous reptile.

"Rest assured, ma'am, none of us have any intention of harming you or yours. An unfortunate reality of our job is that we sometimes need weapons for self defence; we're only carrying them as a precaution. That said, our sources have led us to your domicile, and there are other, less scrupulous groups who are also looking for this data. It is likely that they will arrive here looking for it sooner or later, and it would be best for everyone if we could locate it and clear this up before they do. At any rate, we should talk inside, this street is too open."

Exo-Guardians

Female Android Technomancer 1 | Init: +3 | Perception: +0, Darkvision 60', Low-light Vision | Speed 40' | SP: 5/5, HP: 9/9, RP: 5/5 | EAC: 14, KAC: 16, CMAC: 24 | Fort: +0 (+2 vs disease & poison), Ref: +3, Will: +2 (+2 vs mind-affecting & sleep) | 1st Level Spells: 2/3

Antares is in full agreement with Daramak's assessment. Too open by far, if that corporate security mentioned by Historia-7 have any clue as to the whereabouts of the hacker. The android remains quiet though, letting the others do the talking as she keeps watch, ready to follow the rest of them inside if the old lady invites them in.

Exo-Guardians

Male LN vesk bounty hunter soldier 1 | SP 9/9 HP 13/13 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; +2vsfear | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

Playing with an open hand. Not my style, but I will wait for the results before passing judgement. Hakrinag still remains tense and ready to move on a moment's notice.

Dataphiles

Male-ish NG Android Scholar Mechanic (Exocortex) 1 | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4, Recall knowldege reroll 1/1 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +0 (+2 vs. disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: -2 | Speed: 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Asier tries to gently catch the tomato, deciding this is not the time or the place to be try it. Taking a small container from his bag he puts it in there hoping the tomato will be okay.

After listening to Madrigal and Daramak talking, Asier scrambles to put in an extra word or two. "But we aren't here to hurt anyone. In fact we are here to make sure whoever recovered the data is okay."

Sovereign Court

The old lady looks somewhat reassured of the Starfinders' peaceful intentions but confused as you share why you are here. "Yes, of course we have a computer. A rather ancient one but functional. Certainly, neither of us would have hacked..."

Suddenly, she pauses, staring into thin air. Her hand slows rises to cover her mouth as she blurts out, "Oh no..." Suddenly trembling in fear, she stutters, "I... I think I know what happened. Oh dear... Please, please, come in. I... I uh... need to check something."

As quick as she can on her tottering legs, supported by Jubair, she goes back to the apartment without looking to see if you follow. The inside of the apartment is simply furnished. The fittings are aging, but clearly effort has been made to upkeep the place. She gestures at you to take a seat on the sofa and dining chairs while she retreats into the kitchen. She returns shortly after with a tray. The teapot and cups on it are clattering a bit with her trembling hands, but she seems more collected. "You came at a good time. I had just prepared a pot of tea. I would need it to calm me down. If what I fear is true." After pouring each of you a cup of tea, she rather mysteriously takes a sit on the cozy and goes quiet with her eyes closed. Some of you realises that she is examining her neural implants. After a minute of two, she opens her eyes and sighs.

"It is as I feared. I have the stolen files." While she is calm about this, Jubair looks shocked. He asks her uncertainly, "Grannie?'

While laying a wrinkled hand on his lap to reassure him, she turns to the Starfinders, "I best explain. My name is Ceren. In my younger heydays, I was a rather accomplished hacker, and without any false modesty, one of the best in the field actually. However, age has brought on a degenerative brain disease, which eventually forced me into retirement. Augmentations in my brain has halted the damage and kept me functional all these years, but I still have occasional large lapses in memory. And of course, I am no longer as capable as I once was. During one of those memory lapses, my implants must have slipped back into my younger mindset and performed the hack. Unfortunately, my conscious mind is not aware, but the evidence is clear. The stolen files are sitting right here in my implants. Sigh, and oh dear, what possessed me to hack into the Bluerise Tower of all places? Their security system is one of the most advanced in this Station. They are sure to track me down soon. What will happen to me? To Jubair?" She tears up at this, grasping Jubair's hands tightly. Jubair is looking very confused now.

She looks up hopefully at the six of you. "Please, can you help? I'll gladly hand you the files in return for our safety."

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

Madrigal looks at the groups computer experts. "Is there something we can do? Can we take the files as we are supposed to, but redirect the search here to, well, somewhere else?"

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

Daramak enters the house with the group, half expecting an ambush. As Ceren tells her story, he grows more and more concerned. So we've found the files, and the hacker is willing to give them to us if we take her back to HQ? Things don't go that smooth. Something's wrong here, I just don't know what.

"Alright ma'am, try to remain calm. We're here to help, but we don't have much time. You and your grandson should get anything you need to travel, stick to the essentials. Does this place have a back door we could use?"

At Madrigal's suggestion, Daramak thinks for a moment and adds "You mentioned an ancient computer. If you let me use it, I could try to plant some false evidence to make it look like someone used your network as a proxy, or encrypt some dummy files. That could buy us some time.

If she'll allow using her older computer:
Computers: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

"You weren't kidding about this computer being ancient. This tech is even older than the stuff I'm used to. Not sure I can pull this off..."

Wayfinders

Female CG Human Hotshot 1.1 | SP 6/6 | HP 10/10 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort 0; Ref +6; Will +4 | Init: +6 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 30ft |

I'll take the implant, sure.

Eli trottles with the party, in thought, but she listens in on the assignment objectives. She raises an eyebrow as the old-timer mentions the word 'hack' without it being mentioned by the starfinders, and the politely declines the offer to take a seat. She eyes the woman and her grandson with suspicion.

"So you're saying you just happened to hack into, as you put it, 'one of the most advanced' security systems in the station. While unconscious. Possibly during a good night's rest?"

Crunch:
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Dataphiles

Male-ish NG Android Scholar Mechanic (Exocortex) 1 | SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 4/4, Recall knowldege reroll 1/1 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +0 (+2 vs. disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: -2 | Speed: 30ft | Active conditions: None.

Asier follows the group inside. Taking the offered seat, he watches the woman, not entirely certain why she seems so distressed. When she admits to the truth Asier's eyes bug. "You must have been an amazing hacker if, only using mental implants and without concious effort, you hacked into that one of the most advanced security systems! We should definitely find a safe place for you, your grandson, his plants and any animals you have, but I don't quite get why they would hurt you if you didn't intentionally hack them..."

At Madrigal and Daramak's ideas Asier also moves over to the computer. After he realizes that Daramak doesn't know what to do with the computer, Asier takes a seat at it and takes a crack at it himself.
"Asier-23-2 used to modify these all the time, and Suzuta has some data on how to work them."

__________
Computers: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Exo-Guardians

Male LN vesk bounty hunter soldier 1 | SP 9/9 HP 13/13 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; +2vsfear | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None

Eli has the right of it, she expects us to believe that this was all an accident beyond her control? Hakrinag snorts with disbelief and closes the front door. "You want protection? I want to know what will prevent you from doing this again with our networks if we take you into our protection. Someone of your caliber would be the perfect spy," he explains without taking his eyes off of her.

Exo-Guardians

Female Android Technomancer 1 | Init: +3 | Perception: +0, Darkvision 60', Low-light Vision | Speed 40' | SP: 5/5, HP: 9/9, RP: 5/5 | EAC: 14, KAC: 16, CMAC: 24 | Fort: +0 (+2 vs disease & poison), Ref: +3, Will: +2 (+2 vs mind-affecting & sleep) | 1st Level Spells: 2/3

The old lady's story seems odd to Antares, but the android knows little about the human mind. Computers, however, are well known to her. Taking her cue from Asier, she does her best to assist the other android in accessing the system.
Computers Check - 'Aid Another': 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
The system is indeed archaic, but Antares is able to offer a bit of assistance.

Give +2 to Asier's Computers check!

Sovereign Court

Ceren smiles to herself as some of you question about her past, her pride becoming evident. "I did say I was one of the best. Sigh, but that was decades ago. And what has it earned me? This old dingy apartment. At least I have Jubair." Eli does not sense any deceit from her.

Speaking directly to Asier-23-7, she speaks rather directly, "You have not been at Absalom Station for long, have you? The corporations housed in the Bluerise Tower are practically a government to themselves. Many rumours, and even some open talk, of them having their hands deep in the pockets of a number of politicians. I doubt they would stop to ask questions if they found what I have... stolen."

As Hakrinag confronts Ceren, Jubair interposes himself between them. "Stop scaring my grannie!" he calls out. Ceren, however, comforts him and pulls him aside. "It's ok, it is natural that they don't trust us." Turning to Hakrinag, she replies wearily, "Spy? At my age, what would I want with that? I just hope to have Jubair well-taken care of before I pass on. If I could remove this implants which caused this troubles, I would. But they are all that are keeping my brain from degenerating further." She looks again at Jubair with concern in her eyes, then steels herself as she faces Hakrinag, "Well, whatever your suspicions, these are my terms. You know the stolen files are here, and I'm telling them they're with me. You can have them, if you help us. To not let the corporate thugs track us down, Jubair and I would need new identities."

By then, Daramak, Asier-23-7 and Anatares-1 have turned to the computer. Ceren goes over and examines their work. She frowns at Daramk's work, and mutters, "That might have left a trail..." She nods with satisfaction, however, when the two androids take over in laying false evidences. "That might do it. Perhaps if you reroute that ping address through those servers as well, that could mask the effect of the vesk's mistakes."

She looks up again. "Leaving a computer trail is not enough. We would need new identities not just in the virtual space but in real-life as well. Please, I don't know how you would do it, through your connections in Absalom Station, your resources, whatever. We will need to leave our lives behind now."

Ok, assuming you agree to help her to get the data files, this part here is really quite open-ended. Come up with ways to create and augment her and Jubair's new identities, pulling up your contacts. Just come up with something and do the necessary skill checks. So long as justifiable, I'll roll with it. The more the better as that would buttress the false identity you create. You have a few hours for this, because...

She turns to Jubair and instructs him to pack whatever valuables they have. While he does that, she explains to the group, "This place is no longer safe. There's somewhere the two of us can go for temporary hiding, while you go about your work. We will meet you at Jatembe Park in 6 hours time. By then you would have completed your work?" She then gives you direction to a secluded bridge in the park in a heavily forested area. Ceren and her grandson then quickly takes her leave, refusing any company. She clearly wishes to keep the location of her temporary hiding a secret.

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

"Here's my plan. Asier, can you hack in to the government and show these two as dead? While you are there, go ahead and create new ID's for them. On our way to Jatembe Park, we can stop and get those ID's printed out for them..."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (18) + (1) + 8 = 27 To get the ID's printed without issue...
Computers(Aid Another): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Dataphiles

Male Vesk Mechanic 1 | init +0 | perc +4; low-light vision | speed 20' | SP 7/7; HP 12/12; RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 16; CMAC 24 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +0; +2 vs fear

Disappointed with his failure to prove useful to the team, Daramak stands aside to allow the androids to work. Serves me right for rushing. At least there are others here who can cover for my mistake, I should be thankful for that. Wait, are those...are those punch cards?

Thinking about Ceren and Jubair's predicament, Daramak says "In addition to the new IDs, it may be possible to physically change your appearances through either medical procedures such as plastic surgery or certain biological augmentations. It's a bit extreme, but if it could help you two live normal lives then it may be worth it."

To know specific procedures and maybe where to get them done:
Medicine: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Life Science: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

If possible, Daramak will also help with hacking into the station's network as Madrigal suggests:
Computers (Aid Another): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Exo-Guardians

Female Android Technomancer 1 | Init: +3 | Perception: +0, Darkvision 60', Low-light Vision | Speed 40' | SP: 5/5, HP: 9/9, RP: 5/5 | EAC: 14, KAC: 16, CMAC: 24 | Fort: +0 (+2 vs disease & poison), Ref: +3, Will: +2 (+2 vs mind-affecting & sleep) | 1st Level Spells: 2/3

Antares pretty much ignores the small talk, focused on the task of trying to obfuscate the data trail that might lead any security forces to this flat - though it likely too little too late.

When Madrigal mentions her plan with regard to new IDs, the android nods. "I will help. Though we might need access to a more... sophisticated computer."

Computers (Aid Another): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Sovereign Court

I'll resolve this set of actions after everyone has a chance to post their actions. Please feel free to continue discussing among yourselves. Just a nudge though. Having an identity is more than just what is in government records. It also includes having friends and contacts, jobs, lodgings, etc.

Wayfinders

Damaya Lashuntas Envoy 1|STAM:5|HP:10|RES:5|EAC:11|KAC:12|ACvCM:20|F-1,R+2,W+4|Init:+0|Bluff:10,Co mp:5,Cult:8,Diplo:8,Disg:8,Intim:8,Per:10,Prof(Comedian)9|

"Maybe Historia-7 can help and hide them.... Her skills might be useful to it."

Wayfinders

Female CG Human Hotshot 1.1 | SP 6/6 | HP 10/10 | RP 5/5 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort 0; Ref +6; Will +4 | Init: +6 | Perc: +5, SM: +5 | Speed 30ft |

"Sounds fishy, if you'd ask me, but I'll back you up, Cap'.", Eli proclaims, and helps out with the ancient machinery in the room.

Computers, Aid: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

1 to 50 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [SFS] GM kuey's The Commencement (SFS #1-01) - PbP GD6 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.