Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Ross's CotCT PbP (Inactive)

Game Master Ross Byers


351 to 400 of 885 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Haedrik will pocket Yargin's keys. "I could care less about the acid and such. I do, however, think it might be beneficial to take a quick run through some of these other doors and see what is what?" If no one argues, Haedrik will go back up the stairs and listen at the door at the end of the balcony. If he hears nothing he will enter.


Haedrik, do you mean the door at the middle of the room, attached to the southern walkway, or the door at the north of the room?


I meant the door in the middle, attached to the walkway.


Verronax, you take two of the parchment scrolls. They weigh 2 lbs.

Verronax, Taemin, you step over the dead man, watching your step where the latern had broken and spilled oil across the floor. The room tot he west is quite dark, but soon Haedrik joins you through the other door with the sunrod.

Haedrik, you find that the middle door is sitting ajar, as if someone had rushed through without bothering to close it. That someone, of course, being the dead half-orc laying on the walkway. Another door is just beyond, likewise sitting just open. Both doors appear to be hinged in such a way that they will open in either direction. You pass through in time to meet up with Taemin and Verronax and provide them with light.

This room is mostly empty. A single desk sits in the middle of this room, a moldy chair pushed up against the far side. A small pile of ratty furs and straw is heaped under the table. Through the open door to the south, you see a set of bunk bed. To the west is a large set of double doors, presumably the inside of the main entrance. Another door is to the north. It is closed.

Map updated. Jack, I dragged Karista along with the group rather than leave her alone in the dark.[/url]


If the desk has not been searched, Haedrik will give it a quick rummage.


It's empty.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 2

Verronax will give a quick look-see to the southern room with bunk beds.


Haedrik will wait patiently for Verronax's report on the room with beds. He will then listen behind the northern door and open it.


Male Elf Monk 2

Taemin stands at the ready, focusing on his breathing as the pain of the crocodile bite recedes. He keeps an eye to the northern door.


F Human (Shoanti) Barbarian 1

Karista follows mutely, her hand resting on the hilt of her blade. She seems to focus for a moment whenever there is a sudden noise or a door opened but other than that she seems lost in her own thoughts and uninterested in the contents of the house.


Verronax

Spoiler:
A pair of bunk beds sits against the far wall of this room to either side of a boarded-over window. On one of the bottom bunks sits a half-completed card game, presumably Towers, but it's hard to tell in the dim light.

Haedrik
Spoiler:
As you take Yargin's keys you realize that both keys are duplicates of keys on Lamm's keyring.
You proceed to the north door, and hear nothing on the other side. You push the door open, and a rich stink flows out, a mixture of fish and sweat
To the east, a large wooden trough holds a mound of half-rancid fish, seaweed, and brine. Filthy seawater and fish blood stain the floor around this trough. A pair of wooden chutes lead from this trough through holes in the northern wall into a larger room to the east. To the west, a desk and chair sit in one corner while a tall cabinet sits in the other.


Haedrik turns back to the party. "I am going to give a quick run through of this room. After that let's swing by Jazbarl's; its a small tavern where we can get some free food and drink and discuss what the hell happened? In particular, how did some dead woman hire us?"

Haedrik will check out the desks and cabinet.


The desk contains very little. A piece of chalk sits in a groove on its surface.

The cabinet, however, is locked. One of Yargin's keys opens it. Inside are six canvas pouches, each containing about a pound of coins. A quick look inside reveals that four of these pouches contain copper. The other two contain silver.


F Human (Shoanti) Barbarian 1

Karista blinks at Haedrik, "Don't be thick, it can't be the same woman."


Male Elf Monk 2
Karista wrote:
"Don't be thick, it can't be the same woman."

"I believe that is precisely why we must discuss it."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 2
Taemin Swallowtail wrote:
Karista wrote:
"Don't be thick, it can't be the same woman."
"I believe that is precisely why we must discuss it."

"Agreed."

Verronax quickly flips over the mattresses to see if anything might be hidden underneath.

"Let's go through the rest of these rooms and get out of here."

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Verronax, under one bunk you find a change of clothes (Yargin's, by the style) and a garnet amulet.


F Human (Shoanti) Barbarian 1

Karista glances around the house, silent save the sounds of looting. She spits on the floor once more. "I'm going to go check on Taras and the children." Karista stalks out of the room, back to the door that she originally kicked in. As she is about to leave she hesitates, and goes to check on the unconscious dog.


Karista wrote:

Karista glances around the house, silent save the sounds of looting. She spits on the floor once more. "I'm going to go check on Taras and the children." Karista stalks out of the room, back to the door that she originally kicked in. As she is about to leave she hesitates, and goes to check on the unconscious dog.

The dog is mangy and lies in a crumpled heap, but is breathing regularly. A swollen bruise is rising from its neck, a sign of when it slammed into the doorframe. It wears a leather collar, but has no tags.


Male Elf Diviner 1

Taras stands up from the curbside as he sees Karista fill the doorway. "Ah--! Maybe they're done...?" he asks, trailing off as she turns back to look inside.

"Karista!" he shouts, stepping a few paces away from the group of kids. "Karista, hurry them up! Something's wrong in the city!"


F Human (Shoanti) Barbarian 1

With a slight ruffle of the dog ears, she stands and steps gingerly onto the walkway's unstable planking. More focused on her footing than Taras or the world at large, she replies with an distracted, "What?"


Male Elf Monk 2

Taemin ducks inside the north room and makes his way east, seeking the door that leads to the stairs found in the large room to complete the circuit.

"If this is all there is we should follow Karista out and rejoin Taras, I believe I heard him shouting at us about something."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 2

Verronax scoops up the amulet and follows Taemin to finish their explorations.

"Taemin, is that footlocker locked? We've been looking for this elven boy, but it doesn't seem like anyone is left here. And after finding Zellara's head, I'm starting to worry about just what might be in that locker..."


"If we are done here let us scoop up, oh, what's his name? The fancy-talking gent who didn't seem to have a head for combat? Taras! Let's grab him and bolt to my friend's tavern, we can divvy up the loot and go our seperate ways, eh?"


Is there any other exploring anyone would like to do? Otherwise, outside to Taras, the Children, and the Death of the King!

Osirion

M Native Outsider Thinker 6 / Doer 2

Gasp! The King's dead?!? onoes!


Male Elf Monk 2

Taemin nods and heads to the exit, careful to space the way along the catwalk.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 2

"Let's move out then."
Verronax moves along with the group to rejoin Taras.


As you return outside, you find what Taras has been watching for several minutes. To the west, the horizon is lit with an orange glow suggesting fire. Alarm bells toll. Signal fires are lit on the Spires of Castle Korvosa.
Verronax

Spoiler:
Verronax, you recognize the signal patten as one meant to recall the Sable Company and summon the Hellknights to the city.

The voice of a herald cuts the din, annoucing "The King is Dead! Long live the Queen!", only to be shouted down by the rabble, who reply 'Hang the Queen' (occasionally replacing 'queen' with 'usurper' or 'who' and 'hang' with a few, less pleasant, verbs).
You can see flights of Sable Company Marines in the sky above, apparently seeking the worst pockets of rioters. You see at least one squadron of marines attempting to land, only to be repelled by a volley of cobblestones and other thrown objects.

Suffice it to say, the people are not taking the death of the king, or more specifically, the rise of the Queen.


F Human (Shoanti) Barbarian 1

Karista looks around, a bit bewildered. "Is...is the city on fire?" She looks at Taras and then at the group of children that had rather suddenly become their responsibility. "What do we do with them?"


Male Elf Diviner 1
Karista wrote:
Karista looks around, a bit bewildered. "Is...is the city on fire?" She looks at Taras and then at the group of children that had rather suddenly become their responsibility. "What do we do with them?"

Taras looms as protectively over the children as a not-particularly-martial diplomat can be expected to, looking anxiously in the direction of the Castle and the fires that fill one horizon.

"I couldn't even begin to say. The elven quarter, perhaps, until it all quiets down..."

He turns to regard the party as they approach. "Where's Rivas? Did you find the boy?"


Verronax

Spoiler:
You know of the location of a City-run orphanage not far from the Fishery - Only a few blocks westward in the Slope, one of several the King opened during his reign.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 2

"No, it's not on fire, Karista. It's just signals recalling the Sable Company, and, incidentally, summoning the Hellknights to the city as well. Interesting..."

Turning to Taras, Verronax says, "No, Taras, we didn't find the boy, I'm sorry. But I know of an orphanage near by, in the Slope. It's just a few blocks away. I propose taking the children there, and thence to Haedrik's pub, to try and find out more of what's going on and stay away from the mobs."


In case I wasnt clear, the fires lighting up the horizon are in addition to the signal fires on the Castle.


Male Elf Monk 2

Gazing softly into Taras' eyes, Taemin clutches his arm and whispers, "We will find him Taras. Just not here or now - do not fear for him." Louder, "Agreed, the orphanage then someplace out of the way of the tempers and fires flaring in our city."


F Human (Shoanti) Barbarian 1

Karista looks at the orange glow on the horizon. "That's one damned big signal fire." Karista turns to Taras and her brow unfurrows for possibly the first time since they've met. "There wasn't anything below except Lamm...and his crocodile. No elf child. I'm so sorry, Taras."


Male Elf Diviner 1

Bewildered, Taras looks back and forth between Karista's honest-eyed sorrow, Taemin's quiet hopefulness, and Verronax's stoicism. "Wh-- you... you looked everywhere, then?" he asks. "I suppose you would have."

Something like a hard look passes over his aristocratic features as he looks down over the collection of kids at his feet. "You brought Lamm to justice then, I take it? We're done, then?" he asks, turning then to regard the children without really waiting for an answer.

"We're going to take you all to a shelter nearby. They'll go about finding your families, or giving you to parents who will care for you, alright? Come on," he says, gesturing with his hands for them to stand up.


It takes Haedrik a long moment to tear his eyes from the orange glow that burns the city, his city, around him. His ears perk up a bit, however, at Verronax's mention of the pub.

"Yes. Let's go. We can figure out what is happening there; my friend usually has a solid ear to the ground."

Haedrik motions for the group to follow him and as he spots pockets of rioters he makes sure to hold tight the bags of money he found.

Ross, when we get to the inn, I'll count the money, but if you want to give us the numbers whenever we can divvy it.


You manage to get through the city to the orphanage without much trouble: the riots seem to center around the castle, and while you've seen a few groups running throught he streets nearby, they've all steered clear of your well-armed group.

The orphanage is an unassuming building, looking as much like a large home as anything else. The sign over the door reads 'Eodred's Haven' and bears the crest of Korvosa. The Matron of the orphanage answers the door cautiously, after a long pause. She is an older woman, currently in a dressing gown, with a holy symbol of Sarenae around her neck. She looks shocked at the large group of children. "What? Whose children are those?" Coming more awake, she realizes what it means if the children are being brought there. "What happened!?"


Male Elf Diviner 1
DM Ross wrote:
(snip)She looks shocked at the large group of children. "What? Whose children are those?" Coming more awake, she realizes what it means if the children are being brought there. "What happened!?"

Taras waves his hands gently to settle his friends. Diplomacy, his forte, at last.

"Madam," he says, voice slightly stilted to indicate aristocracy and noble intent. "We've come from a wharfside where these children-" And here he dropped his voice and his countenance a touch, adding emphasis. "-these kidnapping victims... Were being held against their will. We know not where their families are, or if they were merely urchins. They seem readily able to speak for themselves and..."

"The streets, as you can see," He declares before she can break in. "Are unsafe as now. There is ill news from the Castle, and the Sable Company is recalled. It is unsafe for children to follow us where we mean to go, but we could not in good conscience leave them scattered about the town."

Here Taras turns and smilingly indicates the colorful crew of adults here -
Haedrik, stubbled and likeable-looking in a rough-and-tumble away...
Karista, veiled and exotic, powerful beneath her fitted leather...
Verronax, austere in the vestments of a priest of Justice...
Taemin, lithe and anxious and warily watching every corner...

"...and you can imagine we're rather unfit to be a family to them. We've come to you first, and this sanctuary." Taras flashes congenial smile at this, practiced for warmth and honesty.


The Matron nods. "Very well. You did the right thing. Fortunately, we have plenty of empty beds." She opens the door fully and ushers the children inside. "I'll wake the cook. He'll be a bit grumpy: You just doubled the number of mouths he has to feed."


Male Elf Diviner 1
DM Ross wrote:
The Matron nods. "Very well. You did the right thing. Fortunately, we have plenty of empty beds." She opens the door fully and ushers the children inside. "I'll wake the cook. He'll be a bit grumpy: You just doubled the number of mouths he has to feed."

"I think I can spare a few coins to see that they're boarded, if it'll help," Taras says quietly, bowing his head a little at this. "...you wouldn't happen to have heard of a child named Rivas, would you? An elven boy. I know him to be lost in this stretch of neighborhood, and have come to fear the worst for him, but..."

Taras fishes out four gold coins - inventory edited. As I understand it, gold is still a pretty big deal to "commoners" in Pathfinder, yeah?


F Human (Shoanti) Barbarian 1

Karista attempts not to glower; she fails.


The Matron takes the coins with a smile, taking them to a donation box somewhere inside. She returns shortly with a ledger and freshly-dipped quill. "I just need a signature from one of you. The Abadarites insist on good records."


Male Human Gamer 4 / Philosopher 7
DM Ross wrote:
The Matron takes the coins with a smile, taking them to a donation box somewhere inside. She returns shortly with a ledger and freshly-dipped quill. "I just need a signature from one of you. The Abadarites insist on good records."

At this, Taras steps back, nodding to Verronax and gesturing him cordially up onto the porch.


Male Elf Monk 2

Taemin waits for Verronax or Taras to sign, then nods to Haedrik and follows him to 'his' pub. "I hope it is not altogether too rowdy..."


Taemin Swallowtail wrote:
"I hope it is not altogether too rowdy..."

"I do, friend." Haedrik pats the elf on the back as they leave the orphanange. "Rowdy is good for business."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 2

"Of course, Matron." Verronax steps up and takes the proffered quill, taking a moment to ensure the ledger lists Taras as the children's benefactor.

That done, he turns to the group. "Let us be off, and with haste."


Male Elf Diviner 1

Taras smiles a little forlornly at the matron and the collection of children at her feet. He turns to follow the others with a shake of his head. "Civilization," he says quietly to no one in particular.


The matron thanks you and smiles. As she closes the door, you hear her telling the children that she needs to get them into some clean clothes, and some hot food into them.

Haedrik, something I should have already asked, but where in Korvosa is Jazbarl's tavern?

351 to 400 of 885 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ross's CotCT PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.