Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Rites of Passage:Chapter 0 Legacy

Game Master Nimon

In this chapter of Rites of Passage you play out the events of the Nex/Geb war that created the Mana Wastes during the Age of Destiny.


1 to 50 of 324 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Ok lets try this again first time this did not work

You are all summoned into a large tent just outside the main camp in the Fortress City of Ecanus. Inside the tent there are unseen servants and a Crystal Ball on a table, under the table there is a chest. When you enter the tent the sounds from the busy warcamp stop and suddenly the tent is filled with the voice of Nex coming from the crystal ball. Ah, so you made it. Good. Down to buisness we do not have long. Geb has proven to be more resourcefull than I originally anticipated. He has gained favor with the Worshipers of Ugathoa, whom have raised and incredible amount of undead in the northern region of Geb. Also Kelish pirates are either siezing an oppertunity and raiding the Valkus' eastern coast. The final thorn in my side is the Southern Dwarves along with thier human allies of the Ustradi lake region want to remain neutral in this conflict. I need those supplies and that area more than ever to push a front on Geb!

There is a pause as his unseen servants collect maps from the chest under the table of various regions

I can only use you for one mission, than report back here to gain assignments for the front. As you are my most trusted I will let you choose which of these issues is of the most important for you to address.
1) Defeat the Kelish pirates
2) Negotiate or Subjugate the Southern Dwarves and their human allys
3) Defeat Geb's newest allies and send them running back to thier dark temples.
Choose and I shall give further details.


Male Azlant Wizard (Universalist) 20

The entrance of the tent was lapping and soon a figure stepped in. The dark black colour of his hair seemed to absorb all the light as he walked, his movement precise and in perfect harmony with this whole body.

Varos was one of the most famous warmages in Neb has ever produced. One of the close members of Nex as his proven loyalty, senses and powers were only unmatched by fews and Nex himself. However, he had not made it this far or to this position being ungrateful, snobbish, negligent or underestimating his woes.

Looking at the table and maps as Nex was speaking he took a quick note of everything

My lord, I do note that it would be better to secure our back and supplies until pushing against the full forces of Geb. I do vote for defeating Kelish pirates first and after that going for southern dwarves and their allies as he spoke and went through the maps.

Who else is arriving here I wonder... indeed these things need to be solved fast and a worrisome look appeared on his face.

Regarding the "POST" monster.... yah, inevitable. Have to save your writing beforehand in another table or just copy-paste. There is no cure against it... its same as Tarrasque, paizos on little pet of destruction.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

Varian brushes the tent flaps aside and strides in, not quite late to the party, but obviously not the first arrival. His jet black hair is pulled back in a tight ponytail that hangs down to his shoulderblades. He's not particularly tall or imposing but something about him lends an aura of power and he moves with the grace of a jungle cat.

He takes in Nex's words and scowls a little as he listens, each of the tasks important in it's own way. He's by far not a stupid man, but thinking and planning are not his fortes. Neither is diplomacy and he scowls deeper at the suggestion of negotiating with the dwarves, then a smile touches his lips at the word 'subjugation.'

He listens quietly to Varos' words and nods silently. He shrugs and speaks finally, "He said one mission then further orders. You want to do two. I don't know anything about boats. I vote for the dwarves. They need to be convinced to give up their neutrality. Now is not the time for it. A stand must be taken by all."


Knight of the Wrathful Skies

After entering into the imposing tent and taking quick stock of the contents, Allumbris gives Nex a formal bow, the faint clink of metal on metal revealing that despite first appearance, the knight is armoured in more than the blue and silver robes wrapped around his muscular form.

"My Lord Archmage," he says, the magical illumination within the tent glinting over the colourful gems fused with the skin of his forehead as he lowers his gaze to the maps, "with all the respect due to my noble colleagues, it would appear to me that all three tasks are vital; as you say, Geb has proven most resourceful, and able to capitalise on even our smallest weakness. I do not believe that this is a matter of which task is of greater importance, but rather which most needs our particular skills to be accomplished. Surely there are many members of court eager to lend their silvered tongues to sway the southern dwarves, and no doubt a few ships could be spared to defend our coastal regions from these opportunistic thieves."

"Now, a strike behind enemy lines," he says, planting a finger on the maps, "is a far more difficult thing to achieve, and yet it must still be done; lest when the time for battle comes, our front lines be overwhelmed by an endless horde of the dead."


Male Pure Blood Azlanti Sythesist Summoner 20

Havandrier walks into the tent, not the most impressive of men physically though his confidence is palpatable. The smell of sulfur and brimstone follows the demonbinder as he enters the tent.

The information provided, he considers for a moment. "I believe Varos has a point, one which can kill two dragons with one arrow. A demonstration of force used to wipe out these Kelish pirates could convince the dwarves to come to our side, lest the same befall them." The man smiles, the bindmark on his head burning at the prospect of wiping out a pirate fleet, more feeling from his other half than his own. "In fact, we may take out three if we can instill a little worry into the Ugathoans."


Male Azlant Wizard (Universalist) 20

I would say it is more beneficial for us to first secure our backs. Without supplies and constant raids on our backs means we are exposed to more dangers in longer future. I hope, I really do, that front lines will hold and surely the men there have seen more horrors in their life than normal citizens. The dwarfs can be taken care later or they might even subdue to us when they learn of our powers. tapping the table and going through the maps as Varos points to different locations.

Of course we are on this together. We must make fast decisions and solve these problems. None of them are less-importance gentlemen.

Guys, just one question arised: You do want me to provide support with different magics or go directly killing machine mod? 1. To prepare anchors, dispel magics, aoe control buffs / debuffs or 2.All slots with killing spells, fireballs, lightnings, acid, etc etc


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

Varian shrugs slightly. "I think perhaps we are overthinking this. He asked us to decide which task to undertake, and when we are done, he will ahve further orders for us. I take that to mean he will find other ways to deal with the other two tasks once we make a choice. In which case, all three tasks are equally important. I think, then, our choice should be to take on the task we are best suited for as a group."

I'm assuming ooc that we already know each other and our capabilities, perhaps have even worked together in the past... I could be wrong on this, in which case perhaps we should discuss our strengths and weaknesses ic.

Cheliax

Male Human Dungeon Master

Sorry I knew I forgot something from my original when it got ate. You all are familar with each other, but this is the first time all of you have been together at the same time.


Male Azlanti Druid (Mooncaller) 20

Gallus entered the tent to find the others already deep in conversation. A small breeze seemed to flow around him and the scents of freshly turned earth and trees briefly filled the tent. As he caught himself up on the options and tasks before them, his ageless face frowned towards the third map.

Gallus leans his hands on the table, his voice steel. I agree with Allumbris. The undead scourge must be crushed! Geb has visited enough devastation on our lands already and a scourge of the undead will only further corrupt the very home we're fighting to defend. Also, a handful of pirates and some obstinate hole-dwellers can await our attentions, they won't be going anywhere. With the undead every day that we let them roam it further swells their ranks. While I'm no expert on the matter, we are all aware that there are plenty of undead that spawn more of themselves with each kill. If we allow them to roam unfettered, the problem will get exponentially worse. They must be destroyed.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

"So we have two for pirates, two for undead and me with the deciding vote... shall we discuss this more or should I just decide?" He chuckles softly at being in this unenviable position, though he expects it will come down to further debate.


Male Azlanti Druid (Mooncaller) 20

Gallus nods at Varian. It seems you are at that. Well as you said, all of these tasks are important to Nex so I don't think we'd be wrong in doing any one over the other. I'd ask you listen to Allumbris and myself but you must decide what is right in your own mind.


Male Pure Blood Azlanti Sythesist Summoner 20

"It matters not if pirates or necromancers first. What is important is that we send a message. A message to the dwarves that ours is the side to join, and a side to the other not to trifle with us. If we are to remain indecisive, it only gives our enemies time to plot against."


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

"Well, now it seems we have 1 for pirates, 2 for undead, and 1 either way... Makes it easy for me as I no longer really have to break a tie. But since I know nothing of boats, I would tend to favor dealing with an army of undead over a flotilla anyway. The undead it is then." He sighs. Not the decision I would have favored, but all are appropriate and necessary quests. I hope we've made the right choice for our abilities.


Male Azlant Wizard (Universalist) 20

Undead it is then. All of them are important ones and if we all agree to this then that is more than better nodding and turning his gaze upon region maps of north Geb

Cheliax

Male Human Dungeon Master

Was waiting for the rest to show befor I continue. I will give them a bit more time, but if have not posted after I eat then I shall give you details on the Undead Mission.


Yes, Geb has grown close to the sect of Urgathoa. This particular sect in northern Geb is special in that it only allows those whom have achieved Daughter status amongst them. You will be facing true masters of undeath. They march north across the desert now. They have made no attempts to block my scrying which tells me they want me to know this. Their location is one day of flight from here, or you may use other means. They must be stopped, I can not allow such a bold move to go unchecked.

The crystal ball shows images of the Daughters of Urgathoa and hordes of undead marching north, a magical fog surrounds them as they march.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

Varian wrinkles his nose at the sight of the army of undead marching, their progress hidden in mist. Mmm... We've got our work cut out for us... He studies the image in the ball as best he can, trying to determine the types of undead revealed there.


Knight of the Wrathful Skies

The knight frowns at the sight within the crystal ball, raising a hand to pinch the bridge of his nose, "That they are so open about this reeks of a trap, or at least a diversion... what do we know of the enemies other movements? Is there something they don't want us to see?"


Varian:
You can give me a Knowledge Religion and Knowledge Planes, the DCs will be 10 higher since vision is obscured and you are judgeing by sight alone

Geb has cast a dark shadow over most of his lands. My diviners have caught only glimpses of his movements south of the Desert,but do not let that trouble you. Once we have stopped this forward unit I can position my forces strongly without him the wiser.I admit this is a dangerous mission, but if it was easy I would not have asked for you.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

knowl religion 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37

knowl planes 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26


Male Pure Blood Azlanti Sythesist Summoner 20

"It's probably they have defenses against magical scrying. And any attempts risk them realizing our actions. A blind assault doesn't sound appealing either, so what say we get up close, see this little group for ourselves? If we're lucky, we'll be able to grab someone for information."


Male Azlant Wizard (Universalist) 20

Information? It is useless. We are speaking about undeads here and even if those daughters of urgatho are sentinent... they are fanaticals and in touch with their goddess. If we go, we go and blast them out of this world Varos answers with full of determination


Knight of the Wrathful Skies

"Do not mistake me, my lord. I do not baulk at the danger, indeed it was the danger of the task which led me to suggest we be the ones to undertake it... we shall soon teach them the folly of their arrogance."

"Have you no magic that would allow you to pry the secrets from their unliving minds?" He asks, turning to Varos.


Male Pure Blood Azlanti Sythesist Summoner 20

Havandrier smiles, "I do enjoy a good battle. And I agree, we'll smash everyone of them to prove our superiority. Either way, we can discuss it en route. Do any amongst us lack the ability to fly? Or would anyone suggest a different method?"


Male Azlant Wizard (Universalist) 20

Sir Allumbris, I do indeed posses the capabilities to scry on these wretched lifeforms. Who do you take I am? Varos asks with curiosity as he his eyebrow lifts up a bit for surprise

I may do it now immediately if needed to find out their strength and numbers


Varian:
The Fog is strange to you, you asses that it must be something like a Hungry Fog, but is not of this plane. The Undead range from Ghasts to Devourers and the Daughters of Urgathoa are stronger than they others you have seen.

The Strength and Numbers of the Ugathoan Cult grow each day. They are currently at about 100 strong, but that is counting the weaker units. Kill the Daughters and their army will break to chaos. There are Three daughters. I was remarking befor about Sir Allumbris question about OTHER Geb movements. The movements of these daughters are not a mystery to me.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

"That fog around the undead is like a Hungry Fog, but somewhat different as it's not of this plane. A Hungry Fog is a type of ooze, with the ability to stagger anything enveloped in it. I see undead that range from ghasts to devourers, and the Daughters are stronger than any I've seen before. This is going to be .... interesting, to say the least." Varian reports simply as to what he sees in the crystal...

"As for flying, I have a carpet that could take all of us there, but it only flies at a moderate rate of speed, slower than some spells I've seen in operation, but there is no limit to the duration of the flight. Other than that, I have winged boots for short duration faster flight."


Male Azlanti Druid (Mooncaller) 20

Gallus crosses his arms as he studies the globe. We will crush the Daughters as we have all the other foes of Nex. There will be no other outcome. Let us be about it and stop with all of this quibling.

As for our journey, there are magics available to swiftly carry us as far as we need. The world provides, for those who know to ask.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

"No quibbling, just offering for any others who might have no magics to call on. Whatever works is fine with me."


Very Good. If there is any last minuite items you require you should be able to find it in this camp. If there are no more questions I shall await good news upon your return.


Male Azlant Wizard (Universalist) 20

I will accept the offer for the flying carpet. I rather save my spells for later when we really need them. Varos nods to Varian


Male Pure Blood Azlanti Sythesist Summoner 20

"If it's all the same to the rest of you, I'll just stretch my wings. I'd rather be prepared in case of trouble."


Male Azlanti Druid (Mooncaller) 20

I will be able to move all of you if any of you so desire. I will need time to prepare the casting of that particular magic. Regardless of who cares to benefit from this, I will be ready to leave first thing in the morning.

I need a day to re-memorize my spell list for this.

GM, can we get a ballpark figure for how far we're traveling and where to? So we can plan accordingly as far as traveling.

Regarding the spells used, my thought is that we'll be getting close to the Daughters and then figuring out what to do from there. Basically I thought we'd be resting nearer to them to get our spells back and then attacking. Is the plan to try to get directly to them? Cause yeah we're looking at high level magics for traveling that kind of distance.


Knight of the Wrathful Skies

"I am unsure it would be wise to give them the night," Allumbris intones, "but if whatever you have in mind for the morning would transport us immediately to our destination then it would make little difference, as it would likely take us until dawn travelling by flight in any case."


Male Azlanti Druid (Mooncaller) 20

Gallus chuckled. The magics I would employ would not be instantaneous but they would be quicker than a casual carpet ride.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

"Whatever works and faster is better, I say. Let's get on with it then."


it is approx half a day flight over the southern peaks. Non-flight would take considerably longer(except teleports ect.) This is my best estimation, they are gaining speed unnaturaly in the night and are even able to move in the day light at the speed of the fog. A good place to spot them prior to an attack would be a top one of the peaks that look over the desert valley.


Male Pure Blood Azlanti Sythesist Summoner 20

"Sounds like flight it is, and an ambush to set. If no one is in need of additional preparations, I vote we set off."


Male Azlanti Druid (Mooncaller) 20

In the morning, I will allow us all to fly there. If there is nothing else, I will see you gentlemen in the morning.

I'll hold off for the moment but unless people pipe up to object or do something else, my next post will take place the following morning when I'm memorizing my new spells and casting them on us.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

@Havandrier "Sounds like we're leaving in the morning... gives them time to advance, but they'll be moving slower in the daylight, limited to fog speed as they'll be. We'll have no trouble with them, I'm sure.


Male Pure Blood Azlanti Sythesist Summoner 20

Havandrier smiles. "Then morning it is. I think a drink is in order, if any of you wish to join me."

If anyone joins him, Havandrier will make idle chit-chat and whatnot, and retire early to prepare mentally for tomorrow.

Cheliax

Male Human Dungeon Master

The tension in the camp is high that night. Many young soliders are spreading rumors of the horrors of Geb.Each of you have a strange dream of darkness spreading.

The next day is clear. Give me a marching order and how you are flying and we will start this thing.


Male Azlanti Druid (Mooncaller) 20

Gallus wakes early the next day and finds a secluded spot away from the bustle of the camp to prepare his magics for the day. Drawing on the hidden power of the earth and the world, he absorbs it into his being and sets his mind to the spells he will use to decimate the undead hordes.

Moving back he can see the rest of his companions finishing their preparations. He motions them to circle up near him. Everyone link hands for the moment if you would, I need physical contact to link you all to the spell as I cast it. As they grab arms Gallus rests his hand on Varian's shoulder to complete the circle.

Intoning the words while his hand begins to twitch in a comlex pattern of symbols, everyone can feel themselves suddenly feeling lighter and more ephemeral. Slowly drifting up, everyone seems a bit transparent, almost see through. Nodding to himself in satisfaction, Gallus looks to everyone with a small smile. Try to keep up. With that, he shoots up into the sky before zipping off towards the Gebites.

Casting Wind Walk on the group. This will last for 20 hours. Using the fast "setting", we can fly at 600 feet per round or 60 mph, which should be more than fast enough to get us where we want to go in the time we want. I've marked this as cast on my character sheet already.

Also I adjusted my memorized list for the day. GM, just an FYI I added Word of Recall to the list and the standard location for this whenever I prep it will be the capital of Nex.

Cheliax

Male Human Dungeon Master

No Problem Gallus. No posts since Tuesday so I will continue and assume everyone is cool with flying using wind walk and has everything they need. Marching order will be alphabetical until I see otherwise.

You have all been flying for about and hour and about to cross over the southern peaks when you start to notice the darkness in the sky to the south.

Roll perception. Rolls not completed in 24 hours will be done by me.


AC w/SoF: 25/23/18 21/19/14 (19/17/12) ; hp 43/43; saves: F 3 R 3 W 4; melee 5, ranged 5; CMB 5, CMD 18; speed 40; init +2; perc +8 human oracle (metal)/5

perception 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (1) + 31 = 32

well that sucked... but better now than for a saving throw later


Male Azlant Wizard (Universalist) 20

Perception 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (14) + 25 = 39


Male Azlanti Druid (Mooncaller) 20

Perception: 1d20 + 33 ⇒ (16) + 33 = 49

And I LOVE that Varian fumbles his roll and still manages to get a 32 lol. Huzzah epic level!


Male Pure Blood Azlanti Sythesist Summoner 20

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Female Elven Cleric

LIlly awakes the next morning and greets her new companions with a slight nod and then begins casting a spell. 10 minutes later there appears a great feast, including a magnificent table, chairs, service, and food and drink.

"Please friends enjoy this feast as fellow hero's and defenders of this great land." she says as she finishes casting the spell. She sits down at the table and starts to eat and drink. An hour later the feast is over and she gets ready to leave.

As the party gets ready to leave she whistles and a ball of gas appears at her side. She says something in a strange language and a very sickly looking male human appears. He hisses as the sunlight hits him but he holds out a shaking hand which Lilly takes in her own hand. "Now hold his hand" she says to the man and the human holds out his hand to another party member and Lilly does the same.
-----------------

Just thought i would retcon a little. She cast Hero's Feast for anyone that wants to partake. I linked the spell name to the description for anyone who isn't familiar with the spell and I'll track that I'm down a 6th level spell.

DM I'm going to assume unless told otherwise that my vampire companion is unaffected by sunlight while under the effects of the wind walk spell.

Perception:1d20 + 28 ⇒ (9) + 28 = 37
Compainion Perception:1d20 + 22 ⇒ (20) + 22 = 42


Knight of the Wrathful Skies

Perception 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (17) + 24 = 41

I'm heading to a convention now, so I'll be a bit sporadic in my posting over the weekend.

1 to 50 of 324 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Rites of Passage: Legacy campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.