Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Rigor Rictus' Carrion Crown - Game Thread

Game Master LastNameOnEarth


251 to 300 of 2,574 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

I think if 12 hours goes by and I haven't had anything to contribute, I'll just pop in with a 'NTA' in ooc text, or 'Nothing to Add'.

Kirill's Initiative:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
That's not a promising way for a rogue to start combat.

Seeing everyone pauses as he hears some strange noises around the corner, Kirill flurries into action, knowing what dangers these old tombs and crypts can hold.

Kirill's actions:
Kirill will move to D8, atop the coffin, using acrobatics to tumble at full speed if needed to avoid AoOs, or to D7 if needed to be not adjacent to an enemy. From there he will take an attack with his shortbow.

Acrobatics to tumble (with a -10 for going full speed):1d20 + 8 - 10 ⇒ (16) + 8 - 10 = 14

Attack roll on nearest enemy without cover (including Point Blank Shot):1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Damage if a hit:1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

Round 1: Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Wow. I managed to beat Kirill.

Zhan takes a look at the beasts, and takes a casual step into the chamber. Not yet sure what level of threat these things might pose, he draws a knife, and sends it flying into one of the hard carapaced creatures.

Action:
5 ft step to F6 and throw a knife at creature 3 (or any creature left alive by my turn). Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 71d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Must be getting all my bad luck out of my system...


Alright, we'll go ahead and resolve. Sagaar and Valavhi spend the round trying to decide what to do.

Father takes a few steps forward and drops into a ready stance as Delia casts her spell. A resounding screech heralds the eagles arrival into this plane. It scrambles fiercely at one of the centipedes, a whirlwind of feathers and claws, though the creature's tough exoskeleton stands up easily to the assault. One of its talons, however, finds the vermin's eyes, yielding a frantic screech.

Agnar rushes past Father and shoves Valachi aside, his sword slicing through the air in a mighty overhand cleave. The edge easily splits the carapace of the nearest centipede, and the creature offers a pained squeal as a portion of its head is shaved neatly from its body. It flails around frantically for a moment before flipping onto its back, its legs twitching feebly.

With a deep hiss, one of the centipedes moves forward, crawling over the fresh corpse of its brethren to get at Agnar. It darts forward, its vice-like mandibles seeking his flesh.
Attack Roll 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Damage On Hit 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
Agnar, however, is able to deftly sidestep the attack.

The second centipede lashes out wildly at the eagle above it, but is unable to strike such mobile prey.
Attack Roll 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Damage On Hit 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Kirill rolls down the stairs, smoothly drawing his bow and knocking an arrow as he springs to his feet. He lets the projectile fly, but misses his mark by inches, and the arrow strikes the wall before clattering to the floor.

Zhan whips a dagger towards one of the monstrous vermin, but his throw is wide, and e blade finds nothing more than stone.

[ooc]Agnar has moved to F10, Centipede 2 has moved to F11, Centipede 1 is dead, and Centipede 3 is right where it was. Everyone else has moved to the space they declared.[/ooc


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

Round 2 Init 17
Agnar looks at the centipede that tried to attack him he laughs he than says "Well this is an odd sight." After saying this he swings at the beast.
Attack and Damage Roll
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 162d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 5) + 6 = 17


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

Round 2 - Initiative 5

Zhan throws another dagger at any remaining creature.

Attack:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 71d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
No wall can withstand my fury.


Round 2, Initiative 8, AC 16, HP 8/8

"Neat trick- might have to learn that one someday. Handy indeed! [The graverobber whispers to himself after seeing Delia summon the celestial bird of prey.]"

Kirill, curses his luck and licks his fingers before drawing back his bowstring for another attack.

Action:
Kirill will attack the nearest enemy with his shortbow, moving to avoid cover granted by allies if necessary (30' move).

Kirill's attack (including PBS):1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Damage if a hit (including PBS):1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


We'll resolve in the morning. Also, we've been getting sporadic posts at best from Sagaar, and I now we haven't heard from him in nearly a week. Any thoughts or insights?


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

He had some private family matters happen this week so he has been busy with that. Sporadic post stuff came up. I really got to remind him to tell you when stuff like that happens.


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 17/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Round 2 - Initiative 19

Delia, frustrated by lack of options left to her, tells Father, "Please, go help them, I'll be fine. They will need your strong arm more than I."

Standing back, she hopes that the eagle can do more while it remains. Sadly, under it's limited room for mobility, it flounders with difficulty in its attacks. Preparing for the possibility of needing to use it, she draws and loads her sling.

Actions:
Eagle attacks number 3
Talon 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6, damage 1d4 ⇒ 4
Talon 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9, damage 1d4 ⇒ 1
Bite 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7, damage 1d4 ⇒ 3

Took some liberties with placement. Zhan, I don't think you can 5'-step around a corner. Kirill, I moved you to where there is no cover from Agnar or Father (given your initiative)

MAP


Eidolon Biped (AC: 18 [T: 12 /F: 16]; CMD 17; HP: 18/18; F+4, R+1, W+3; Init: +1; Perc: +12)

Round 2 - Initiative 18

Father, after Delia's urging, reluctantly moves from her side to the front. As he nears he takes a swing at the closest insect. His heavy wooden fist slamming into the creature with amazing force.

Actions:
Slam, attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22, damage 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


Male Human Level 1 Fighter

Sorry guys, this past week I've been going through some tough emotional times with my family, this time last year my mom died in a car crash, and We've had some family over the past while and theyve been remiscining so I've taken the time to avoid home as much as possible. But, I should be back to posting frequently now. Thanks for bearing with me, sorry youve had to put up with it.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Sagaar steps cautiously into the room upon seeing the fighting, he walks to E5 to check the other side of the room for any possible hole creepy crawlies might find their way though.
Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Wow, I'm sorry to hear that man. Go ahead and take your time to do what you need to - we can work with you on this, no problem.

Delia's eagle continues to flail ineffectually at the partially blind centipede as Father crushes a second with one tremendous blow. Agnar's sword cleaves down once more, neatly splitting the remaining beast.

That wraps up combat. Dropping out of initiative. Will post more after work, but feel free to begin poking around the room in the meantime.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Appologies for the lack of inputs - apparently Val dozed through the whole melee. I had my birthday this weekend and lost track of time between checking the boards...

Recovering from his shock at the sight of the massive centipedes, Val circles the chamber, helping to clean up the mess while searching for additional tracks or clues.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

After killing the last centipede Agnar turns to the group "Well that is done. Valachi want to help me check these things out?"

I am so getting knowledge nature next level.


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14
Delia wrote:
Zhan, I don't think you can 5'-step around a corner.

I never noticed that particular rule; but I looked it up and you are right. I disagree with it myself, and so I would not inforce it in my own games. In this case it would have made no difference as Zhan could have used a move action instead.

Zhan moves over to the sarcophagus and begins to examine it. "Kirill, could you help me with this? You might be better able than I to see if this has any special safeguards..."
Zhan will search the sarcophagus, looking for means to open it, and keeping an eye out for any mundane traps: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Male Human Level 1 Fighter

Sagaar joins with the group over by the sarcophagaus, shining light on the hewn stone. The dark seemingly creeps back slowly as molasses out of the illumenence, as though not wanting to reveal its secrets.
"Shall we see what was so important to the professor, to risk himself in such a dangerous place." Sagaar says waiting on Kirill and Zhan to work out how to properly open the sarcophagaus.


"Of course, Zhan. At least we know there aren't any pressure based traps on the cover, eh? [Kirill recalls how he recklessly chose it as an archery perch just moments ago in the heat of battle.]"

Perception check to examine the sarcophagus for hidden compartments, means of opening past the obvious, and traps:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 Add another +1 if there is a trap to be found.

Edit: Nope, no traps to be found :)


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 17/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia breathes a sigh of relief as the creatures are slain, returning her sling and bullet to their holster. She nears the eagle, as it stands on one of the corpses, tearing it open and picking at the meat inside. As she approaches the bird of prey, it stops as it gobbles down a chunk it had in its talons, eyeing her. She addresses the bird, "Thank you, most noble eagle for your assistance." as she bows to it respectfully. The bird watches her briefly, before it dips its head in what could be seen as acknowledgement. It takes a few more hunks, before it lifts its wings to take off, and disapperas in a flash of radiance.

Returning to the task at hand, she decides to aid in the search in her own way. "Yest Li Mag'ia Zdyes", she casts a simple cantrip to show her the presence of magic.

Detect Magic


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

"Hmmm..."

Knowledge - Nature: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

"Of course, we're all familiar with centipedes of the garden variety type... mildly poisonous if you're not careful, but more of a threat to other insects. Now, one this size... I can't imagine what would cause it to grow so huge. And its venom is probably deadly to anything living."

Can I add anything of note about these critters?


The acolytes stare dumbstruck at the bodies of the creatures on the tomb floor. One of them begins vigorously tracing Pharasma's spiral over his chest, as the other thanks you for ridding the tomb of these beasts. "Secret cache or no, you have rendered an important service here. They must have been tunneling through the earth, feasting on those buried..."
+1 Trust Point! Current Trust Points: 26. I'm going to begin keeping a tally here, just so I stop loosing track of where you're at. Thus far, you've had mostly meteoric rise in trust, with a few slides back in the chapel.

Valachi:
These are nothing more than a larger variety of the common centipede, most common in large forests. Their size makes them dangerous hunters to humans, and their venom can cause severe weakness in just about anything smaller than a horse. It's unusual, but not unheard of to see them in settled areas. As the brother said, you imagine they were scavenging in the cemetery.

Delia:
You can sense a plethora of minor auras radiating from the chest. You detect several weak enchantments of mixed schools, though abjuration and necromancy seem to be the predominant types of dweomer contained within, though there is a single aura of moderate divination magic.

The sarcophagus is absent of any traps. It seems that secrecy was its sole safeguard. Nothing but weight seems to be keeping the massive tablet on top of the coffin, and with a few strong backs, it could be easily removed.


Eidolon Biped (AC: 18 [T: 12 /F: 16]; CMD 17; HP: 18/18; F+4, R+1, W+3; Init: +1; Perc: +12)

As Delia maintains her focus on the container, ready to see which auras are attached to which objects, Father decides to move toward the edifice and grasps the lid. He stands ready to aid anyone else lifting when the decision is made to open the lid. His joints and limbs tighten with force as he bunches his muscles in preparation.

Strength check to either lift or assist as necessary, 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21.


Male Human Level 1 Fighter

Sagaar stands off to the side, making way for the more muscled of the group to make thier way forward. "If need be I could help but I feel as though their are those more adept at this sort of thing."

Spoiler:
Not sure how this works, but I was just thinking that irl i would probably use like my spear to work as a lever to help pry it open but I'm not sure if you can do that or how you'd do that in game mechanics.


Father removes the lid of the coffin with ease, bringing it to rest against the stone wall with a dull scrape. Inside the sarcophagus there is no corpse, but rather an assortment of tools and weapons. A pile of various alchemical items have been placed in a corner, including four long silver tubes, each set with a small crystal, and six vials of water stamped with the symbol of Pharasma.

A box of a dozen silver-tipped crossbow bolts rests next to them, with an arrangement of arrows sitting next to it. They have been neatly separated into groups of ten, five, and two, with all arrows in a group having matching runes carved along their broad heads. All of these, save for the bolts, give off a minor magical aura.

Seven vials are displayed in the opposite corner, again divided into groups - one of five and one of two.

Next to these are four tightly rolled scrolls. Unfurling them reveals that they are covered in eldritch scribbles.

Finally, in the center of the coffin there lies a thin darkwood case, carved with the image of a scarab beetle, and radiating an aura of divination and necromancy stronger than the items contained alongside it.

To recap, we've got...
4 sun rods
6 vials of holy water
12 silver crossbow bolts
17 magic arrows
7 magic potions
4 magic scrolls
1 mysterious box
I've got to get to dinner right now, but when I get back I'll post the DCs for identifying everything and what the items are should you garner success. I also assume someone will have opened that box by then, so we'll get to the contents of that too.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Val will open up his backpack and begin carefully collecting the items, leaving the magic scrolls and mysterious box. "Once we get back to the house and figure out what we have, we can distribute these before we head to the prison."


Appraise check to determine if the box is magical (DC 25) since he hasn't yet been told:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 Doesn't know, not by a long shot.

Kirill licked his lips as he rubbed his palms together, nearly salivating with curiosity, as he eyes the darkwood container left by Valachi. He examines it carefully, looking for keyholes, hidden compartments or traps before doing anything else. There was rarely a mystery he could stand waiting to solve.

"How curious...a wood box in the stone box. I wonder what's in it?"

Perception check to search the exterior of it:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 +1 to determine if a trap is found.

Looks like Kirill is distracted tonight, skills don't want to cooperate.


One of the acolytes gives a deliberate cough as Val begins loading the items into his backpack, but his companion shuts him down with a quick jab of the elbow. "The church owes you a debt for ridding our departed of these predators. I am confident that you will put these tools to good use. If you find you are unable to discern the function of anything here, bring them by the temple. We are practiced in using such instruments, and can instruct you on their nature." He crosses his arms and leans against the wall as you finish your business in the tomb.
I apologize for being scarce. On top of the busy summer schedule, one our other teachers has been sick so I've had to pick up their classes on top of mine. Good news is that in another two and a half weeks, our summer classes are over, and then I've got around 10 months of what essentially amounts to "office hours," during which I have ample opportunity to respond from the office.

Kirril:
You don't find any traps on the box, and it doesn't appear to be locked.


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

Zhan looks over at the brothers in response to the cough, "Thank you, brothers, for your assistance in this matter, and for your offer to loan us these tools. We would not have felt comfortable looking for the cache without your blessing, and these items will likely prove useful. I assure you that these devices will only be used in opposing the enemies of this community and the church. Anything that is not so used when this matter is concluded will of course be returned to your chapel, as the rightful owners."

Once the contents of the sarcophagus are safely stowed, and after Kirill gets around to opening the mysterious box (Zhan will keep close to see what it is), Zhan will move around the rest of the chamber, looking for anything unusual, or other secret compartments that are hidden anywhere.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Should he fail to find anything, then it seems likely that the group will be ready to leave, and we will return to Mistress Lorrimor's home (baring any objections from the party, of course).


"I'll carry this piece."

Kirill volunteers, snatching up the darkwood box curiously that Valachi left behind, assuming one of those capable of casting spells would take the liberty of assuming custody of the scrolls. He holds it in front of himself, one hand on top, one on the bottom and feels its weight, shaking it a bit to see if he can hear what's inside. His lips twist pensively. It didn't look particularly magical or trapped to him, but that didn't mean it wasn't dangerous. His gaze shifts across those around him and he hold the case at arm's length, slowly opening it just a crack to peer inside.

Edit: And the ninja returns! Great timing, sir.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Did we miss any other doors or exits? If not, Val is ready to return to the house, where we can figure out what we have and plan for the morrow.


Eidolon Biped (AC: 18 [T: 12 /F: 16]; CMD 17; HP: 18/18; F+4, R+1, W+3; Init: +1; Perc: +12)

After all the contents have been removed, Father slowly lowers the lid of the sarcophagus back into place. Afterwards, he turns to the acolytes and gives a light bow of apology for his part in disrupting the sanctity of the mausoleum.


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 17/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

As everyone loads the gear and prepares to leave, Delia steps up to add, "I will carry those scrolls, I would be interested to discover their contents." as Kirill grabs the box, she warns him "If you are carrying the box, be careful, it is the one object amongst what we have found that has the strongest magical aura. It means that there is a greater infusion of magic in that one over the others, and it bears necromancy." She steers clear of Kirill when he chooses to open the box.


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

Agnar listens to the other as the speak of the items. Agnar walks to stand near Kirill as he opens the box.


Male Human Level 1 Fighter

Upon seeing Kirill open the box, Sagaar takes a step back, understanding the caution to be taken when dealing with things of strong magic. "I'm sure that if theres anything more of importance in here than we would have seen it by now, it seems as this was just a storage place for hiding items. Now the real question is, why would somebody go to such lengths to hide something as to desecrate a tomb. When we get back to the house we can observe them in closer detail but as for now, I suggest we leave this place and allow the Brothers to go on their way. I'm sure they have important matters to attend to." Sagaar takes a step towards the entrance as if gesturing for all to follow.


"Fret not, friend Delia. I checked it over pretty thoroughly and detected no traps, magical or otherwise. At least Agnar here has a bit of faith in my abilities. [He chuckles a bit.] I'm pretty sure that it must be safe. After all, why go through the trouble of hiding all of these valuables here and then only trapping one of them as opposed to the whole casket? What's the worst that could happen I'm offically claiming this as Kirill's catch-phrase.? It probably just holds..."

He pauses, waiting to answer until after seeing what's inside, his heart fluttering from the recent combat and the excitement of possibly holding some grand treasure.

Assuming that whatever is in the case is benign, after peeking within, Kirill will open it widely and announce the contents of the box.


At last! A day off!

The box opens surprisingly smoothly for something that's been here for who knows how long. The interior is lined with black felt, with eight small depressions in the back of the lid, four of which are occupied by a series of glass vials stoppered with iron lids. They are cold to the touch, and pale green vapors churn within them.

Detect Magic:
These vials radiate a faint aura of necromancy.

Identification DC 18:
The lids of these vials can be twisted to release the mist inside, which is infused with positive energy. It is enough to nullify, or at least weaken any restless spirits in an area. These items were created to combat unusual and uncommon minor manifestations of the dead - a phenomenon commonly called a haunt - and would be of little use against ghosts or other true undead.

Inside the body of the case, there is a thin wooden board, decorated with the letters of the Varisian alphabet, and macabre images of grinning skeletons adorn its edges. Laying next to it is a bronze planchette with a lens in its center. You've seen such items sold in curio shops and occasionally used by Varisian fortune-tellers when Harrow decks are either not handy or not trusted.

Detect Magic:
This item radiates a moderate aura of divination magic.

Identification DC 24:
The magic actually comes from the small bronze planchette, with the board merely serving as a necessary tool. By resting your hands upon the planchette and concentrating for a few moments (2d6 rounds), you can contact lingering spirits in the area, tapping them for knowledge. This allows you to ask them a single question, which will be answered with a single answer by being spelled out on the board. There is on limit to how often you may use this, but there is a risk. Contacting spirits is taxing on the mind, and your senses may be momentarily overwhelmed (Confused for 1 round) as the spirit imposes itself on your will. Places with restless or angry spirits may prove especially dangerous (-2 to will save to resist Confusion in such areas). Furthermore, questions are not always truthfully answered.

The rest of the items are less exotic.

Arrow Identification DC 20:
There are...
10 +1 arrows
5 +1 ghost touch arrows
2 +1 undead bane arrows

Potions Identification DC 18:
The potions are...
5 potions of Cure Light Wounds
2 potions of Lesser Restoration

Scrolls, easily identified with Read Magic:
The scrolls are all divine. They are...
2 scrolls of Hide from Undead
1 scroll of Protection from Evil
1 scroll of Detect Undead

You can take a roll for each item if you want, or you can go by the bunch. In any case, the church, or possibly Kendra, can identify whatever items you cannot. Sorry I've been scarce. We've got two weeks left in our summer schedule, so I might be spotty till then, but I'll do what I can. I am NOT abandoning the game! I'm just crazy-busy for five weeks each summer.


Brony Vegetarian Book Worm 1 / Gambler 13 / Zombie Slayer 6

Appraise to determine if the vials in the box are magical (DC 25):1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Appraise to determine if the fortune telling board is magical (DC 25):1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Appraise to determine the value of the fortune telling board (DC 20):1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Perception to determine if there are any hidden compartments in the case:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Perception to identify one group of potions (DC 15+CL), once we get a chance:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Perception to identify the second group of potions (DC 15+CL), again, once we get a chance:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Woot! Skills! Rogues are fun!

"It probably just holds...old liquer and a magical fortune telling board? [Kirill finishes, showing the group the interior before prodding the interior for hidden caches, his guess only half right.] That was unexpected. Once we get back to the house for the evening perhaps we should explore its function. I've a feeling one of you spell callers will be adept at that...unless you think we should figure it out the old fashioned way? But if I've learned anything in my short time, its that you should take a reasonable amount of caution when you can. Now I may not always practice what I preach I suppose..."

Kirill was in good spirits. They had survived an attack by viscious vermin, delved into an old tomb, albeit a false one, and were going to make it out unscathed with a magical boon and hopefully useful tools to look into and quite possibly avenge his dear friend's untimely demise. This evening had gone far better than many of the Varisian's solo expeditions in tomb raiding.

"So which one of you is the lucky charm?"

Unless Kirill finds a secret comparment in the box, or the group would like to stay around for whatever reason, he will unstring and stow his shortbow and follow the party back to Kendra's. Once identifying the potions, if needed Kirill can pass on the knowledge of their basic effects.


Kirril, Spellcraft + Detect Magic is used to identify items, not perceptions, though I confess you might be employing an ability I glossed over. Also, no hidden compartments.


Brony Vegetarian Book Worm 1 / Gambler 13 / Zombie Slayer 6
Orlok Jr wrote:
Kirril, Spellcraft + Detect Magic is used to identify items, not perceptions, though I confess you might be employing an ability I glossed over. Also, no hidden compartments.

You can identify a potion via taste with a DC 15+CL check. This was pointed out to me only recently as well. It kind of hides.

Curious, eh?

It has the downside though. If you attempt to identify a poison via taste thinking its a potion... Luckily Appraise (poor man's Detect Magic) can tell if something is magic. So as long as nobody Nystul Magical Aura's a poison for pre-emptive trickery, I should be safe. :)


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

Once the group has returned safely to the Lorrimor home, Zhan will aide the others in categorizing and examining the items. Unfortunately, at this level, he does not yet have Spellcraft, so he asks Kendra to take a look at any we have not yet identified.


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 17/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

At the home of Kendra Lorrimor, Delia scrutinizes each item as they are shown, but she is distracted by her interest in the first to the point of showing less and less focus on any of the others. After barely glancing at the potions that she looked at last she explains how the iron stoppered mists work.

Spellcraft on green vapors 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Spellcraft on Board 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Spellcraft on Arrows 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Spellcraft on Potions 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


When you arrive back at the Lorrimor home, there is a cold, thin stew waiting in the kitchen. Kendra is sitting in the study, buried in her books. So engrossed is she that she does not at first notice your entry, looking up with a start when you enter the room. "Oh! You mustn't creep up on me like that!" she admonishes, gazing down her reading spectacles with mock severity. She brushes a few books off to the side and gestures to a weighty tome. "I've been learning a few things about the Way - most unsettling..."

She offers a brief presentation on what she's learned today, but tells you nothing you haven't already found out yourself.

"...Beyond that, I haven't learned anything new today. I'm afraid the old lumps at the town hall aren't prepared to open their records to us, though I was able to look up one of my father's old contacts, a man by the name of Alendru Ghoroven. He runs the Unfurling Scroll; one part two parts schoolhouse, one part magic shop. He can let you use his records, but he's a bit of a miser, and expects to be paid the privilege - 10 crowns for a day of study, and he's willing to assist you in finding what you need. So what have you learned today? What's the next step?"

Using the Unfurling Scroll's library provides a +2 bonus to checks made to research Harrowstone.


"10 crowns? That's a bit steep. I hope he'll extend a line of credit if we require his services. [Kirill glances to his purse, and thinks to his own currently limited funds.] Or at least be willing to offer a trade of goods or services. After spending a great deal of time in the archives we've learned a bit of useful information; not as much as I would like. I'm sure Zhan or Delia could fill you in more clearly than I. I think we had decided to take the supplies we've just recovered and head up to the old prison at first light, prepared to face the worst. Unless someone had changed their mind?"


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

"Indeed, I think the plan was to head to the prison tomorrow. But, if there's more to be learned with an extra day of research, if we can prepare ourselves better for any confrontations, it may be worth it."

Val shrugs, "But I'm hardly a scholar, so I wouldn't be much help there anyway. I'm ready to go to the prison when the rest of you are."


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

Agnar listens as the other speaks than says "I will go with what the rest of you say. I will say this though we best be prepared for the prison. If we need these special tools whatever is there may well be very dangerous."


"Unless there are any objections then, perhaps we should finish figuring out what our magical spoils do and decide who will hold what for our trek to the prison in the morning. If it is dangerous we should be prepared for the worst. [Kirill takes a small sniff and tastes a drop of each potion and attempts to determine the effects of each brew (see rolls above).] The large set seem to knit flesh wounds...the other two revitalize a fatigued body. Perhaps or warriors who prefer to be up close and personal- [he looks pointedly at Agnar with his greatsword-] should split those. As someone who prefers to avoid a fight, and use a well placed dirk or hunter's bow when violence is called for, if some gets close enough to me that I need magical healing, then things are already looking pretty bad, and I doubt any potion will help much."


It's mid-evening right now. Does anyone have anything they'd like to do before we move on to morning?


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

Zhan confers with Kendra and Delia for a while, reviewing the information uncovered by each party, making sure that everyone is up to speed on what we have learned so far.

"I am sure that there is more to be learned here, but I am also afraid of letting too much time go by, and what the Whispering Way will accomplish if we do not intervene. I think we also risk allowing any signs at the prison to fade away if we continue to ignore them. I believe we should do as we planned and investigate the grounds of the prison tomorrow. It need not be an exhaustive search of every level, but rather an examination of the grounds and main entry ways. Once we complete this, we can regroup and decide whether the interior merits immediate attention, or whether we should return to our research."

"I think Kirill's suggestions for the gear are good ones. I would add that you should carry the arrows, as you seem to be the only one present who uses a bow. I can use one, rather well actually, but I don't possess one at present. If needs be, and we need more than one archer to use those arrows, I can acquire one later. Sagaar and I will carry the scrolls, naturally, as we can best use them."

"Now, I suggest we enjoy a meal, and retire for the evening. We can be off before first light to make the grounds by dawn. Agreed?"


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 17/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia nods in agreement, adding lightly, "I agree that we should make haste to the prison. Despite my preference to not go in without being completely prepared, we have lost a day in research already and learned much. I think we may only need the shopkeep's library if we happen across something we are having trouble explaining." thinking to herself she adds, "Speaking of which, would anyone mind if I carried the board and planchette that radiated divination? I'm still curious about it, and would like to study further." she explains.


"Agreed."

Kirill nods to Zhan as he stows the handful of magical arrows in his quiver. He was unsure how likely he would be to use them. Surely under dire circumstances he expend their magic to help him strike truer, but it would be difficult for him to give up magical goods; they could be so very valuable, and the Varisian wasn't one to throw away perfectly expensive goods, even if that was their intended purpose. He turns to Delia.

"You'll get no objection from me- as long as you let me watch whenever you decide to fiddle with it. And I suppose we should figure out who is to carry those vials with the green smoke for when we leave in the morning as well."

Once all is decided and dinner is over Kirill will retire for the night, eager to get a full rest before heading out.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

"Then tomorrow, it is," Val nods intently. He remains silent through dinner, thinking anxiously of what's to come. Will this be the start of some epic quest, like the stories he would hear as a child, or some grim, grisly fate, like the reality of his youth?

251 to 300 of 2,574 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Orlok Jr's Carrion Crown - Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.