Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Rigor Rictus' Carrion Crown - Game Thread

Game Master LastNameOnEarth


1,101 to 1,150 of 2,515 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>

Killer GM

Valachi:
Flowers are actually fairly easy to come by, though slipping away to pick them unnoticed may be a challenge; make a stealth role if you would like to remain unnoticed. The flowers will be of the wildflower variety, and perhaps better described as flowering weeds, but they will still look pretty enough in a bouquet.


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

Agnar washes up before finding some not ripped clothes before waiting for the rest of the group to be finished. He follows behind silently not sure what to do at a party in the south.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

DM:
Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Val will try to remain inconspicuous while gathering the wildflowers. Once he has enough of an assortment, he'll bind them with a little bit of twine, string or grass.


Male Canadian

Perception DC: 22:
As the group walks along, Valachi can be seen subtly reaching down and plucking wildflowers as he walks. He tucks these behind his back, adding them to a bouquet he is collecting.

In the absence of any strong guidance to the contrary the group approaches the front door of the home, in order to enter the event by proper decorum. After knocking on the door, it opens to reveal a sober faced white haired man dressed in a finer version of the servant's livery you saw worn by the delivery boy.

"Good evening. Ladies. Gentlemen. I am Steggar, Master Muricar's valet."

He greats the group formally, and invites them into the entry room, and while collecting coats asks for each party member's name and titles.
If anyone is carrying obvious weapons, he will ask for these as well, to be put aside with the coats. Gentlemen wearing a sword on their hip will be allowed to keep it, as gentlemen are permitted such accouterments.

"If you would follow me to the veranda, Master Muricar is expecting you." He proceeds to lead the group down the hall towards the south end of the home. At the end of the hall a set of double doors are thrown wide. The veranda is populated with guests; this 'quiet evening' appearing to have around twenty guests present, not including another half a dozen servants. Brazers filled with coals and scented with burning herbs line the edges of the balcony to keep the chill, as well as any insects, at bay.

Steggar announces the group in pairs, as would be proper in such situations, "The Mistress Kendra Lorrimor and Zhan Iomadine." Each pair is then allowed to progress into the party proper. "Mistress Delia Pilachet, and her "Father." Ember Volkin Pharasmine and Agnar, of the Realm of the Mammoth Lords. Valachi the Sczarni." Valachi, who was trailing a bit during the walk, is left without a partner on this occasion.

Almost as soon as Steggar finishes speaking, Gharen Muricar is there to welcome his guests. "Welcome, welcome! I am so pleased that you were able to attend this evening." He gives Kendra a kiss on the hand, as she entered first, but then rapidly skips on to make his approach on Delia. He is dressed in a similar style to the garb he wore this morning, rich and stylish, with a fine cut and just enough lace to appear regal without looking too soft. As before, he has a finely wrought rapier hanging from his left hip. "My Lady Delia! You honour me with your presence. I am so glad to see you accepted my gift. The dress looks more lovely on you than I could possibly have imagined. I cannot recall ever having seen a sight so lovely." He turns for a moment to Ember, and gives her hand a kiss as well, "You honour me as well, priestess. I had no idea the faithful could look so lovely. Please, all of you, enjoy yourselves."

There is a group of musicians and pipers standing just off the veranda on a bandstand that raises them level with the rest of the guests, and they are playing well, but softly. The varanda itself is a circle, perhaps 30 ft across, about 4 ft above the level of the ground, and the whole area is covered by a roof to keep off rain and sun. Several tables lay laden with h'orderves, soups with small bowls, breads and sweat meats, all attended by stoic faced men in livery. Another man stands at a bar, handing out drinks, and a few servants walk among the guests, offering drinks, and taking empty glasses and dishes.


Eidolon Biped (AC: 18 [T: 12 /F: 16]; CMD 17; HP: 18/18; F+4, R+1, W+3; Init: +1; Perc: +12)

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 I only rolled for Father, as Delia couldn't get a 22.

Father crosses his arms and lets out a low grumble when Gharen addresses Delia. He does not speak out though, knowing Delia would berate him for such given their current environment.


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 7/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia marvels at the spread, being such a fan of high society and fancy formalwear as she is. She doesn't even have any of her weapons on her, and is surprised to think any of the others may had brought theirs, and she hadn't even noticed.

As they are announced, she levels a curtsy at the crowd, and encourages Father to at least bow, which given their difference in heights, he had to just to keep her arm.

Finally, as they are greeted by their host she presents her hand as is proper, and curtsys once again, addressing him. "Milord, you flatter me with your praise. I thank you for your gift, and for our invitiations to this lovely affair. If I may ask, what is it that we are celebrating this evening?"

DM:
Reading the CC Player's guide I had initially thought Sczarni were a clan/tribe of Varisian. However, after reading the RotRL player's guide (or AP don't remember. I'm running it for my kids) I believe Sczarni is the equivalent of being Mafia/Thieves guild and as such they don't advertise it. One of my CC players and I had been using as a tribe name until I found that out, and for anyone that doesn't really follow Golarion (I don't), I don't think it makes much difference. I just thought they should clarify it better.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

Ember curtsies to Master Gharen as he addresses her, too tounge-tied to respond. Fortunately, his attention is on Delia, and Ember is able to quietly move away. She steps nearer the musicians and listens to their melody.


Killer GM

Delia, thank you for the background on the Sczarni, I was not aware.

Gharen gives Delia a rakish smile, "Why, the honour is for you, of course. Even the chance that you would grace us here with your glowing presence was easily enough to warrant the effort needed to arrange a simple get together as this one."

Delia:
Though he is an older man (mid-forties), his smile is perfect, his form trim and fit, and the streaks of grey in his otherwise dark hair only make him look more distinguished. He is successful, well dressed and wears a cultured and sophisticated air as naturally as a pair of gloves. Were his intentions perhaps not so transparent, he would be very hard to ignore.

"It does serve a dual purpose though. I am joined tonight by an old friend I wished to make feel welcome. He is here abouts somewhere, I will make it a point to introduce him when I get the chance."


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 7/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

DM:
For my TT game I found pics of actors for each of the major NPC's. For Gharen, I used a pic of Alan Rickman from Sense and Sensibility. (For others I used Anne Hathaway as Kendra, and older Linda Carter for Shanda Faravan.) So, I can see Gharen as a strikingly charming man.

Delia is taken aback by the statement, but flattered all the same as she tries to hide the bright blush of her cheeks. "That is very kind of you Sir, but all this is far above what my presence deserves. I am but a tailor's daughter. It would have been better served as a memorial reception for the late Professor." She suggests, a slight reproachfully, looking in the direction of Kendra.

"It would be my pleasure to meet your friend, and get to know any of the other townsfolk that are here as well." she changes her tone back to that of a respectful young lady.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Valachi, trailing the group, does not realize anything is amiss until he's introduced late, and alone, after the others have entered as couples. Distracted by his mission, he barely registers the valet's error. (I messed that up, too!)

For the first few minutes of the reception, Valachi looks about the room looking part-hunted animal, part-foriegner. He glances at Kendra occasionally with apprehension in his eyes; or at Zhan, more pointedly. Eventually he scents out the finger foods and moves in that direction, following his stomach's growling urges.

Such wealth, such precision...


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

Valachi:
Since none of us were aware, we can retcon that mistake if you like. The Valet would have announced you by whatever title you gave him.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Zhan aids Kendra into the dining area and continues to take stock of the room and the people while standing escort to Kenrda. Having seen Valachi picking up flowers along the way, the bouquet he is now trying to hide, and the surreptitious but lingering gazes he is casting at Kendra, Zhan maneuvers them closer to the Ranger.

"Valachi, I seem to have forgotten something in my coat. Would you be able to take my place and watch over Miss Lorrimor for me?"
Bluff/Poker Face: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Killer GM

Gharen appears to have missed the reproach as he gestures to one of the men on the Varanda, "Ried my friend, come here. These are the outlanders I was telling you about. Those so brave as to investigate the ruins on behalf of our town."

An elf approaches and Gharen introduces him, "This is Reid Wil o'Wisp of Osirion, a bold man I met in my youth, though he's yet to age a day it seems. I have been telling him about our troubles with the prison ruins and the strangeness of late. It is possible you have some things in common, as he also seems to have an unhealthy curiosity about such places."

Ried:
Please introduce yourself, and provide a brief physical description for the group members.


Male Desert Elf Crypt Breaker 3 / Archaeologist 1 F:4 / R:8 / W:3 (+2 ench/poison)
Spoiler:
  • AC: 13
  • HP: 3/32
  • Bombs: 7/7
  • Luck: 5/5 rds
  • Bard Spells (1): 1/2
  • Extracts (1): Bomber's Eye, CLW, Tgt Bomb Adm, Shield
  • Wand of Grease (12)
  • Ghost Salt Bolts 6/6
  • Bolts: 20/20

A lithe, tall brown-skinned, elf walks up, smiling genuinely and brushing his coal black hair out of his face. "Fellow adventurers and, as I've heard recently, budding solvers of local problems. I'm truly excited to hear of your adventures so far!" Ried is dressed in a tan thigh-length, stiff, yet breathable cotton coat with a high collar touched with faint embroidered elven designs at the cuffs and seams. He wears soft leather boots and seems comfortable with the people here. "I've been speaking with Gharen and Riff recently and they've encouraged me to see if I can bring any assistance to your group. I'm damn near useless with a sword, quite honestly, but I know my way around strange places and solving puzzles, particularly ones with arcane flavor. With your permission, I'd be honored to accompany you and add what I can to your eclectic party. I must admit, it's a far cry from my desert home, but the late intrigue is truly exciting!"

Ried takes in each of the party members as he's introduced, lingering the handshake a second or too longer than custom would dictate, but holding each member's gaze with a smile, ensuring that he repeats their name and nods as he moves from person to person.

Sorry about the avatar ... no desert elves available in their vast selection


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 ... oblivious!

Zhan wrote:
"Valachi, I seem to have forgotten something in my coat. Would you be able to take my place and watch over Miss Lorrimor for me?"

"Ummm, uhhh..." Valachi stutters, his mouth half-full. "Sure, if you need me to." He wipes his mouth on his sleeve, and slowly makes his way over towards Kendra, standing in her vicinity, but not too close, and instead ending up in an awkward no-man's land.

Why is this so difficult?

After a minute building up his nerve, Valachi takes a deep breath and turns to Kendra. Because of the distance, he has to speak louder than normal, inadvertantly making his words for all to hear. He presents the wildflower bouquet to Kendra, holding it forth like a dripping wax candle. His eyes remain locked at her feet. "Miss Lorrimor, you like... umm, look beautiful tonight." He pauses to look up, starts to say something else, then stutters and remains silent. "Umm."

...


Killer GM

She smiles, "Thank you, Valachi. It feels odd to be dressed up and in a place like this after what we saw this afternoon. The contrast in a single day... it's just a bit... surreal." She appears distracted by the goings on, and at the moment she is looking more towards Gharen and his friend than at Valachi.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

"Right!" Valachi replies, smiling suddenly, emboldened by the fact that she didn't run away. "It was all I could do to not break and run in that place, and now its the furthest from my mind. If we dwell on those... umm, horrors, they'll consu-, er... umm, we'll go mad. Know what I mean?"

He follows her distracted gaze, and gives the new arrival a disapproving look. When Ried introduces himself, Val gives him a nod but remains silent.


Killer GM

Kendra replies, "I'm starting to understand a little bit of what Zhan was trying to say the other day; that there are things that exist in the world that we might be better off not knowing about." She turns and looks at Valachi, "But don't tell him I said so."

She then notices the bunch of wildflowers Valachi is offering, "Valachi, I... thank you. These are quite lovely." She takes the bouquet and gives them an appreciative smell.

In the other group, where Gheran is introducing Ried, the councilman says, "Well yes. I was able to speak to Riff shortly after you returned. He came and delivered a report to some of us on the council. You may speak with him on the motives involved, but I regret to say that he will not be returning to Harrowstone with you. He was most convincing in the depth of his genuine belief that the haunting of the prison is real. I have asked Ried here to take his place and act as eyes and ears for the council."


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

Agnar looks at Ried oddly, as he speaks than shrugs before saying "If you wish to join us."


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }
Rigor Rictus wrote:
She then notices the bunch of wildflowers Valachi is offering, "Valachi, I... thank you. These are quite lovely." She takes the bouquet and gives them an appreciative smell.

Valachi smile grows wider, and he turns a shade of red. "I'm glad... umm, well... I hope they make you glad, er happy. They aren't much of anything, I know. The last couple weeks can't have been easy. So, umm... if you ever need to talk, or vent, or umm..." Valachi lets out a frustrated sigh.

Words, dammit!


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 7/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia greets Reid accordingly, and as expected lets the look of irritation cross her features only briefly as Gharen mantions him being the eyes and ears of the council.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, and if you wish to help us then you are most welcome." She turns to Gharen, "Yet you Milord, and the council, still deem it necessary that we be watched, even after Riff's report. Noted." With that she excuses herself to glance over the foodstuffs, not really eating but needing an excuse to be somewhere else before she makes a scene with her temper. It is obvious, though, that her previously congenial nature once more turns cold towards Gharen.


Eidolon Biped (AC: 18 [T: 12 /F: 16]; CMD 17; HP: 18/18; F+4, R+1, W+3; Init: +1; Perc: +12)

If Father could smile, one could be seen on his smooth features. He nods at Ried, and Gharen, before following Delia. Even if it isn't visible on his face, one can almost see his pleasure in her response in the more relaxed way he is carrying himself.


Male Desert Elf Crypt Breaker 3 / Archaeologist 1 F:4 / R:8 / W:3 (+2 ench/poison)
Spoiler:
  • AC: 13
  • HP: 3/32
  • Bombs: 7/7
  • Luck: 5/5 rds
  • Bard Spells (1): 1/2
  • Extracts (1): Bomber's Eye, CLW, Tgt Bomb Adm, Shield
  • Wand of Grease (12)
  • Ghost Salt Bolts 6/6
  • Bolts: 20/20

Ried nudges Gharen, chuckling "Looks like you made quite a splash." He glances at the party as they break away from the introductory meeting and head their own ways around the room. He sighs, "I've got my work cut out for me."

Ried will start to follow Delia as if to explain, and then thinks better of it and moves to grab a refill of his drink. He heads over to Ember (assuming she's still watching musicians). "They're not half bad, no? Pleasant to distract ourselves, but I find myself drawn back to the mysteries of your quest. Your thoughts, ma'am, on this whole haunting business?"


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

"Ah... yes the musicians are pleasent," Ember answers, a bit surprised. A hit of a blush creeps across her pale face.
"The haunts at Harrowgate? So far, they have been just the trapped souls that one might expect in such an infamous place. But I feel that there is something else there now, something that has disturbed the haunts. It is my duty to send them on to Pharasma." Her voice changes from the shy tone to one holding more certainty as she speaks.


Killer GM

Gheran nods to Reid, "Not the reception I was hoping for, perhaps I misread things. Excuse me, old friend."

Gheran takes a few steps and catches up with Delia. "My Lady, I did not mean to offend, so if I have let me apologize most sincerely. I meant for the inclusion of my friend to be a sign of confidence. He is not there to watch you, but to watch what happens in the prison. There are always those in the town who would not accept the word of outsiders; Ried is a man I have known many years and can vouch for; they will accept his word as mine. I am afraid I could not offer you and yours the same, for they would challenge how I could know you well after so brief a time. You must forgive a small town their distrustfulness. Ried is a capable fellow, and will be able to aid you far better than that ragtag guard ever could."

Gheran's Diplomacy Roll: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
Delia: He sounds most genuine and concerned that he might have offended you.

Ried:
It is too bad about that Avatar. I just thought you were intentionally going for mopey emo type.


Male Desert Elf Crypt Breaker 3 / Archaeologist 1 F:4 / R:8 / W:3 (+2 ench/poison)
Spoiler:
  • AC: 13
  • HP: 3/32
  • Bombs: 7/7
  • Luck: 5/5 rds
  • Bard Spells (1): 1/2
  • Extracts (1): Bomber's Eye, CLW, Tgt Bomb Adm, Shield
  • Wand of Grease (12)
  • Ghost Salt Bolts 6/6
  • Bolts: 20/20

DM:
I seriously think I spent more time looking for a non-cartoon avatar then I did actually making the character. Hate having to settle ... if you've got a spare moment, do an avatar sort by elf/male and prepare to be amazed by the overwhelming 60 options available. Disappointed to say the least. Certainly don't want to play the mopey guy, I couldn't sell it. C'est la vie!

"Something recently has disturbed those haunts, then, eh? Any thoughts on what that might be? Interlopers from town, nefarious individuals or even something ephemeral from some dastardly place?"
Ried ponders for a moment and then glances over at Ember with a smile, "Would you like to dance while we talk? I believe I may know a step or two that would fit this gentle melody" He extends his hand expectantly.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

"That has been my understanding, that something has recently stirred up the haunts. As to exactly what it was, I am not sure enough to say."

At the offer to dance, Ember loses the confidence that was in her voice, and again a blush spreads across her face. Toying slightly with the sweep of raven hair that covers the left side of her face, she shyly extends a hand.
"Ah, I have no experience with formal dances, a-and might prove to be a poor partner."


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 7/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia, as always, is obvious in her temper. The arms-crossed scowl she wears so often is as much a warning as a cat's raised hackles. She listens, but she is not eased by his words, still good enough though, she is also not further angered.

"The council knows that you have spoken with us as much as they have. I also believe many of them bear, if nothing more, at least a grudging respect for the professor. Based on what they have heard thus far from Riff, what we have shared, and the very idea that the professor himself trusted us enough to aid him, you could at least convince the four of them. You would not need to speak to the town on our behalf, but at the very least if the council could get up enough courage to encourage their people to think well of us, it would go a long way."

Her features ease as she discusses her interpretation of things. "If your friend wants to see the interesting sights, and strange goings-on within Harrowstone, so be it, I welcome his company. But, as long as either the townsfolk or the council feel that he is needed to be the 'eyes and ears', you send the message that we still bear watching, which only further incites the good people of Ravengro to speculate on our actions and intentions here. I'm trying to show the people that we are kind and fair, and have their best interests in mind, by the banquet I am trying to have organized, but all your actions have done is take a step back from the step forward I made."

Having gotten so much off her chest, and realizing that it may seem as if she is reprimanding Gharen in his own home, she sighs and composes herself. "I apologize Milord. It appears that what we witnessed has me a bit pent up with aggression. If only I could dance all this negative emotion away." She looks around, pretending to spy an available partner waiting until after her conversation to ask her.


Male Desert Elf Crypt Breaker 3 / Archaeologist 1 F:4 / R:8 / W:3 (+2 ench/poison)
Spoiler:
  • AC: 13
  • HP: 3/32
  • Bombs: 7/7
  • Luck: 5/5 rds
  • Bard Spells (1): 1/2
  • Extracts (1): Bomber's Eye, CLW, Tgt Bomb Adm, Shield
  • Wand of Grease (12)
  • Ghost Salt Bolts 6/6
  • Bolts: 20/20

Ried affects a stage whisper, "Quite frankly, I'm not that good either, but I've discovered that as long as you hold your head high and act like everything you're doing is exactly as you intended, you may start a new trend!"

Ried takes Ember's hand, bows deeply, and begins a simple elven step that requires more from the lead partner than the following. "So, we were discussing the haunts that you so kindly returned to the Grey Lady. May I ask the details on them? How did you end their haunting?" Ried keeps up the dance, but focuses on Ember's words, watching her intently as she speaks.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Valachi gets caught in the awkward pause, and points out the first thing to try and distract the awkwardness. "Umm, the food on the table is good, but umm... just bite-size."

Seeing the trend moving to the dance floor, he hesitantly adds to Kendra, "Do you know this dance?"


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

Ember will speak of what was done to lay the haunts to rest, giving credit to all who helped.
Dance: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
She will manage not to step on Ried's feet while dancing, but not be particuarly smooth at the dance.


Killer GM

Valachi: Kendra smiles, "Indeed I do. Would you honour me with a dance?"

Kendra and Valachi move towards the area set aside for dancing, joining Ember and Ried, and the few other couples engaged there. They begin to dance, moving to the music being provided by able minstrels. After a few steps, Valachi begins to feel a bit more at ease, as Kendra is a forgiving partner.

Gharen moves to speak with one of the other guests present at the gathering, and the other guests mill around enjoying good food, the cool evening air, and the comforting music.

Checks:

Agnar Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9; Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Delia Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20; Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Ember Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23; Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Kendra Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13; Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Father Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5; Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Ried Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22; Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Valachi Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20; Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Zhan Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13; Initiative: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Baddies: Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Gheran: Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Initiative Order: Zhan, Delia, Agnar, Badies, Ember, Valachi, Kendra, Gharen, Ried, Father

The party progresses calmly for a time and nothing seems amiss. However, now and again a few people (Ember and Ried/DC: 21) catch a hint of a discord that seems out of tune with the playing by the musicians; a kind of hum or droning that seems like more than an instrument out of tune.

Suddenly, a scream bursts forth from one of the women dancing towards the southern end of the platform. The others in this area look up only in time to catch the briefest glimpse of their attackers.

Ember and Ried are each attacked, as are two of the women dancing near them. The creatures come flying out of the evening in a rush, as if meaning to collide with you. They look like massive insects with long piercing beaks; like a mosquito grown to almost the size of a house cat.

Knowledge: Arcana DC 11:

Attack vs. Ember: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Attack vs. Ried: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Attack vs. Blond Woman: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Attack vs. Brunette Woman: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

In all four cases the beast lands upon its victim, hooking on with barbed feet, and stabbing beneath their skin with their long beak. A rush of light headedness accompanies the loss of blood as the vile creatures feed on them. (Suffer -1 CON damage.) Two more of the creatures can be seen flying towards the balcony.

Ember and Ried may both act in the surprise round, but are considered Grappled by the creatures.

There is a sense of confusion in the air, and not many have even noticed yet what has happened. In fact, the musicians have not even stopped their playing.

MAP

Notes on the map:
*While the Map appears crowded, keep in mind that in regular interactions, a person does not usually need to take up a full 5x5ft square.
*The balcony is approximately 5 ft above the ground, meaning no damage will result should someone jump off. There is a rail around the outside to keep people from falling accidently. A DC 15 Acrobatics check will be required to keep your feet if you do jump, otherwise you will land prone.
*You may move through an ally’s space as though it were empty, but may not charge through it. Bystanders are not aware enough to let you pass, and moving through their spaces will count as difficult terrain.

Ember and Ried, actions in the Surprise Round?


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

Surprise Round
Ember screams in surprise and pain, and claws at the creature attacking her.
AC: 10, HP 13/15 (Con 11/12)
Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Damage (if hits): 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Male Desert Elf Crypt Breaker 3 / Archaeologist 1 F:4 / R:8 / W:3 (+2 ench/poison)
Spoiler:
  • AC: 13
  • HP: 3/32
  • Bombs: 7/7
  • Luck: 5/5 rds
  • Bard Spells (1): 1/2
  • Extracts (1): Bomber's Eye, CLW, Tgt Bomb Adm, Shield
  • Wand of Grease (12)
  • Ghost Salt Bolts 6/6
  • Bolts: 20/20

Suprise Round
AC: 13
HP: 20/23 (Con 11/12)

Ried stares slightly in disbelief, "Fascinating creature, but terribly uncomfortable." He attempts to squirm away from the thing.

Escape Artist: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

I believe that's as much as I can do in a surprise round action


Killer GM

Embers sharp nails tear through the small monster's carapace, spilling out greenish icor. The husk of what's left falls dead to the floor. Ried moves swiftly and twists and turns the creature off of him.

The people near the dancers have begun to notice the attack, and a few gasps and even a shrill scream are heard, but the musicians continue to play and a few of the guests remain blissfully unaware.

Round 1:
Actions please. The PC's are a bit taken by an attack in this setting, but react far faster than most of the guests. Everyone may act in round 1.


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 7/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia scowls at not being able to go to a dinner party around this place without some craziness going on. She acts quickly to request the aid of her frequent helper, "Priho Ditieh Minyeh Pohmoach! Pry these foul bugs off of the dear townsfolk, would you please?" After the golden eagle pops into being and talon and beak flash at the pests, she directs Father to act.

"Father, that woman needs our help, do what you can for her." She points to the woman beside Ember.

Summon monster Celestial Eagle into I10
Eagle attacks 1 with each attack (if one is dead before its turn, it will use whatever remaining attacks on any it missed).
Talon 1 vs J9 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22, damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Talon 2 vs H9 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Bite vs I11 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15, damage? 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Eidolon Biped (AC: 18 [T: 12 /F: 16]; CMD 17; HP: 18/18; F+4, R+1, W+3; Init: +1; Perc: +12)

"Of course, my dear." Father looks unsure about where to go, and how to get there through the crowd, but moves as told.

If the one in E8 is still alive, he will move to D7 to attack it. Otherwise he will move to the closest one (considering he's dead last).
Slam 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

"Beware!" Valachi says and moves to defend Kendra, standing between her and the creatures.

Ready for approach. If any of the creatures come close, Val will attack them with claws.

Claw: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12; Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male Desert Elf Crypt Breaker 3 / Archaeologist 1 F:4 / R:8 / W:3 (+2 ench/poison)
Spoiler:
  • AC: 13
  • HP: 3/32
  • Bombs: 7/7
  • Luck: 5/5 rds
  • Bard Spells (1): 1/2
  • Extracts (1): Bomber's Eye, CLW, Tgt Bomb Adm, Shield
  • Wand of Grease (12)
  • Ghost Salt Bolts 6/6
  • Bolts: 20/20

Ried will tumble over to a nearby buffet table (E6) and hurl a plate at a nearby mosquito-thing.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15; damage:1d6 ⇒ 4


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

Round 1
Ember will reach out and try to touch one of the creatures attacking one of the nearby ladies.
AC: 12, HP 13/15 (Con 11/12)
Touch Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Bleed Touch (5/6) Damage (if hits): 1d6 ⇒ 4


Killer GM

Round 1 Summary:
Initiative Order: Zhan, Delia, Agnar, Badies, Ember, Valachi, Kendra, Gharen, Ried, then Father.

Zhan reaches for his pistol instinctively before realizing that it isn't there. Instead he draws forth his sword, and knowing he is not the best swordsman, he moves next to the unarmed Agnar, and shoves the weapon into his hand.

Delia utters her incantation and brings a vibrant living bird into existence out of nowhere. Some of those in the crowd, never having seen a summoning before, gasp at the sight. The magnificent bird swoops down on the creatures, and grasps at two with its talons, while snapping at a third with its beak. Only one of the talons makes contact, and the creature furthest from the balcony is struck. Its skin rips apart and again green ichor sprays forth, the body then falling to the ground. Creature at J9
On a side note I just noticed that an Eagle has 3 primary attacks. Do you think this is a mistake? With most creatures either the beak or the claws would be considered a primary attack, while the other would be a secondary attack made at -5. Thoughts anyone?

Agnar, one of the furthest from the commotion, seems distracted and apparently unaware of the troubles so far. He looks at the sword Zhan thrust into his hand and looks confusedly around to see why he was given the weapon.

Two of the creatures, still attached to bystanders, continue to gorge. E7 and H8 - Now in the same space as their victims. Uninterested in trying to latch to something as small and nimble as the eagle, the outlying stirge (I11) tries to fly around it (provoking an AOO from the eagle: Attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13). The eagle snaps fiercely, but can't quite catch the nimble frying monster. It moves into the balcony area an attacks a local merchant standing near Valachi and Delia. Touch Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24. It attaches easily and the man screams as the creature stabs him with its nose and begins to feed. The last of the bug creatures, that shaken free by Ried, attempts to attack him again. Touch Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24. It latches on again, despite his best efforts to avoid it. Take -1 Con damage again please.

Ember invokes the name of her goddess and attempts to touch one of the creatures with the power. However, the woman to whom it is attached is flailing frantically, and Ember is unable to make contact.

Valachi takes a step forward to try and defend his lady companion. One of the creatures affixed itself to a man next to him, and so he lashes out at it with his claws, drawing blood forth, but failing to dislodge or kill it.

Kendra steps behind Valachi. "My spells won't help here; I could cast armour on you but these creatures would not be hampered by it. I could use acid splash, but I don't want to hurt the wrong people..."

Gharen draws his sword, which flashes with light and sheds illumination like a lamp just unshielded. He shouts, "Into the house, everyone! Now!" gesticulating with his sword and trying to guide his guests inside.

Ried is now once again grappled. Converted to another escape artist attempt, he would get a 17, allowing him to escape, and giving him a move action remaining. Is there anything else you would like to have him do? If you do wish to attack with a plate at some point, it would rather optimistic to assume it would be a d6 weapon. As a fighting knife is a d4, and a kitchen knife a d3, a plate is likely a d2 or d3 at best.

Father rushes forward and attempts to smash one of the creatures with his heavy arms. However, the victim to which it is attached is moving a screaming, making a solid blow impossible. I amended his movement to F6, as the creature had moved. Let me know if you wanted something different.

The people on the balcony start moving towards the door at different speeds, some stumbling awkwardly (or drunkenly) while some others move only halfheartedly, craning to continue watching the creature's attacks. The musicians, finally noticing what is going on, at last stop playing allowing the sound of confusion and panic to reach everyone.

Round 2:

Zhan picks up a carving knife from the table of meats next to him, and moves to the struggling merchant and his vile attacker. He invokes his power of Judgement (Justice), and swings with the blade. Attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 1 = 12, 1d3 ⇒ 1. He hacks off a spindly leg, and though it was already wounded by Valachi, it does not kill the creature, or knock it loose.

MAP


Male Desert Elf Crypt Breaker 3 / Archaeologist 1 F:4 / R:8 / W:3 (+2 ench/poison)
Spoiler:
  • AC: 13
  • HP: 3/32
  • Bombs: 7/7
  • Luck: 5/5 rds
  • Bard Spells (1): 1/2
  • Extracts (1): Bomber's Eye, CLW, Tgt Bomb Adm, Shield
  • Wand of Grease (12)
  • Ghost Salt Bolts 6/6
  • Bolts: 20/20

I threw out a d6 knowing we could make it a d3 if need be (divide by 2). Up to you since improvised weapon damage is completely made up

HP: 20/23 Con:10/12

Ried will follow through with his move action in Round 1 and attack in Round 2 with a plate or a knife or anything else that looks like it might hurt if thrown well.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14; Damage 1d3 ⇒ 3


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Round 2

"Hold your spell until one is airborne, then you can try a clear shot," Val suggests to Kendra, while continuing to claw at the nearest creature.

Full attack 2 x claws
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20; Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23; Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

Round 2
Ember again tries to reach out and touch one of the creatures attacking one of the nearby ladies.

AC: 12, HP 13/15 (Con 11/12)
Touch Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Bleed Touch (4/6) Damage (if hits): 1d6 ⇒ 4


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 7/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia steps back away from the creatures, and waits for the bird to fly in and assist some more.

The eagle does just that, it flies towards the closet one and tries to bite it with its powerful beak.

Delia 5' step to J5
Eagle, move to the space above H8, and attack from over top of it. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18, damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Eagle's Attacks: I had wondered that on various occasions here and there, and found the rule a few times, and then ended up looking it up again when it came up again. All it says it a quick blurb about how non-predatory animals have a primary and secondary. It doesn't say predator have all primaries or that all their attacks are equal, just non-predators are different. Found it! HERE under the entry for animals


Eidolon Biped (AC: 18 [T: 12 /F: 16]; CMD 17; HP: 18/18; F+4, R+1, W+3; Init: +1; Perc: +12)

If there are any when he goes.

Father continues to try and assist anyone still dealing with the pests, and as soon as he spots one nearby he takes a heavy swing at it. He is hesitant, as they are so small and he worries about hitting anyone else amongst the crowds.

Slam 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10, JIC damage 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Killer GM

Round 2 Summary:

I'll sum this up quick as I need to get ready for my trip. Thanks to everyone for posting promptly.

Initiative Order: Zhan, Delia, Agnar, Badies, Ember, Valachi, Kendra, Gharen, Ried, then Father.

Delia moves back while her eagle attacks, ripping one of the creatures to bits.

Agnar steps forward a few steps to be able to guard the retreating townspeople, in case the creatures try to follow them towards the house.

Of the the three remaining creatures, two are still attached to their victims, while the third has just be rejected again by Ried. As Ried has retreated beyond its immediate surroundings, the creature moves to attack Valachi. Touch Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17. It latches onto him, and begins to drink. Take -1 Con damage.

Ember spins and touches one of the creatures latched to a nearby townswoman. The creature screeches as the attack's energy rips through it, but it maintains its hold.

Valachi finishes off the beast attached to the woman in front of him. Now with a creature attached to himself, rips into it with a claw and tears it apart as well.

Kendra holds her action, waiting for an opening.

Gharen steps forward with his glowing sword and thrusts at the beast affixed to the woman by Ember. Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12+X. His blade strikes true and skewers the little monster.

Ried Dances back and picks up a plate, ready to throw, but sees no target to attack.

Father likewise rushes into the fray, but sees that all the creatures are finished.

END OF COMBAT


Killer GM

We'll wrap up the social aspect of the scene when I get back, but please feel free to converse in character in the meantime if you like. Upon resuming, you will level up to 3rd upon your rest tonight, so feel free to update your profiles. Please post a summary of your improvements and feat selections in the OOC forum.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

"Ugh," Valachi grunts, pulling the dead creature from his body, dropping it to the ground, and giving it a healthy stomp to ensure it stays down. Wincing at the blood loss, he looks back to check on Kendra, "Are you alright, my lady?"


Male Desert Elf Crypt Breaker 3 / Archaeologist 1 F:4 / R:8 / W:3 (+2 ench/poison)
Spoiler:
  • AC: 13
  • HP: 3/32
  • Bombs: 7/7
  • Luck: 5/5 rds
  • Bard Spells (1): 1/2
  • Extracts (1): Bomber's Eye, CLW, Tgt Bomb Adm, Shield
  • Wand of Grease (12)
  • Ghost Salt Bolts 6/6
  • Bolts: 20/20

Knowledge Arcane 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

After checking around to ensure everyone is settled, Ried ponders, "These overgrown mosquitos are stirges, but it seems odd they would attack such a large group of us. Native to the area, do we know?" Ried looks thoughtful. "Could these be a distraction from another effort? Are there others in town we're worried about?"


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 7/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Arcana 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Delia considers the newcomer's words before mostly dismissing them. "The one we are worried about the most, is Mistress Kendra. Besides, aren't they just hungry vermin? It's like asking why a mosquito would bother to sting someone at a picnic. I think they may have just been in the vicinity and the scent of so much food in one spot was intoxicating." She looks down at one of the squished critters and lets a shudder of disgust run through her.

1,101 to 1,150 of 2,515 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Orlok Jr's Carrion Crown - Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.