Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Rigor Rictus' Carrion Crown - Game Thread

Game Master LastNameOnEarth


1,001 to 1,050 of 2,574 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>

Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Valachi shakes his head, "Give me something physical that I can get my claws into. These spirits... I cannot confront."

Yaaay! Post 1000!


Killer GM

Congratulations all on 1000 posts! It has been a very enjoyable 9 months getting this far. Thanks everyone; keep up the great work!

Kendra puts in, "I've not really used any of my true magic yet, only cantrips, but as it is for you," she indicates the fighters, "there has been little here upon which to work. Most of the time we do not even know what we are walking into until it is upon us!"

Riff's face is stark and white, "I never care if I never here the name of this place ever again! Do we not have what we need? The spirits here are mad with strife! Surely it must be what has been afflicting the town. Let us return and tell the council as much!"


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

"I have one spell remaining me, as well as the ability to declare Iomadae's judgement on a foe. If we indeed meet one that can be bested by force of arms, it will lend me strength for the battle."

"However, I too am wounded. I feel like that cold robbed the strength directly from my flesh. I think it will take more than common healing to restore me. I can press on a bit further, but I think our limit may be approaching. For this day at least."

He fumbles as well, pulling out the wand in his belt, and touching it upon Ember. CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

"We still have much to learn here. There is a sinister power in play, but we still don't know what killed Lorrimor. I say continue in, for now."

To Kendra, Val adds, "I've not been much use as a bodyguard."


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

Ember stands and channels, giving healing to the group.
Healing Channel: 1d6 ⇒ 6

"We can press onward a bit more, but I feel Zhan is correct, we have almost exausted our ability to find an answer today."
"I am sorry Riff, but so far, the haunts here are ones tied to this spot. You saw how the haunt here could not even leave this room. If there is something here affecting the town, it lies deeper within."

15/15 HP
0/7 Channels
1/4 1st level spells


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

Zhan 17/20 HP

"Your claws were a great help against those skulls, and I don't think we would have been nearly as successful against that scythe without Agnar's sword. No, the range of challenges here does seem to be diverse, but I would not want to be here without either of you. We should search this chamber for clues. Hopefully we can find a way to put this haunt to rest so we need not have to deal with it again.

As he has suggested, Zhan moves out into the chamber to begin a thorough search.
Taking 20; with the size of the chamber he'll need help of course, lest we be here for hours..


Killer GM

Kendra puts a hand on Valachi's arm, "As I told you all upon the day we met, I am not a doll. I can look after myself. That being said I am still very glad each and every one of you is here. My father would be so proud! I think Zhan is right though Valachi; the threats here are diverse, and I imagine we will face physical foes soon enough. Let us aid Zhan in the search. If this cold is as draining as he says, then we do not want to have to endure it every time we cross this room. Keep in mind to bear a lookout as well for other clues to our mission; ties to Ravengro and the purpose the Whispering Way had in coming here."

Presumably, the group spreads out and conducts a close search of the room. The doors exiting the room are like those that barred your entrance, and look similarly like they could be as easily forced. No one does so of course, for fear of provoking something new before this room is dealt with, and until a choice of doors is made by the team. The benches are old, and some are burned, broken, or rotted, from the ancient fire, time, and the penetrating moisture of the pond that begins in the room next door. The search of a room this size does take some time, and some thirty minutes pass before all are satisfied that there is nothing new to be learned. Unfortunately, nothing results from the search that was not known at its outset. There is nothing hidden in this chamber, and no sign of what might have tied the spirits of cold to it.

Riff states the obvious question when all are regathered at the open end of the room, "Well, now what do we do?


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Valachi nods shyly to Kendra, then moves to assist Zhan with the search. After turning up nothing, he points to the door off stage right. "I think we know its flooded, but a quick look there before we move on?"


Killer GM

Kendra replies, "Are we giving up on defusing this haunt then?"


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Val shrugs, "Any ideas?" He looks around to the others for suggestions.


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 17/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia also shrugs at the question, "I have no idea how to deal with these things. I have the vial here, but I don't think it works if the haunt is inactive. I am ready, however, for the next time one of these things pops up." She brandishes the vial held firmly before her.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

"Sorry, but I do not have any ideas," Ember replies. "Maybe if I could study more of the lore of this place..."


Killer GM

Kendra interjects, somewhat cautiously, "We have the spirit planchette; we could ask the spirits thhemselves what would ease their torment..."


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

"Why yes, that would work. But we would only have one question, so we should decide what we will ask first."


Killer GM

Kendra continues, "Unfortunately, yes. And the question needs to be one that can be answered with a yes, no, maybe, or a single word answer. It will be hard to find out what we need to do in order to put them to rest with those limitations... I have heard that sometimes it is possible to communicate with spirits in other ways as well, so perhaps once we have their attention..."

"Does anyone have suggestions on what our question should be?"


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Valachi's brow furrows as he thinks out loud, slowly. "Well, the fire furnace ghost thing took cooling off in the water to release it. This one bursts freezing cold... but we haven't found anything like the bones we found in the furnace..." He sigh, frustrated.


Killer GM

Kendra looks around during the long silence, and at the blank faces that stare back at her, "Um, ok, no concreate ideas. Valachi might have a point though; if the last haunt was settled by cooling, maybe the key to this one has something to do with heat. We could ask if the spirits desire heat...?"


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

"Light a fire or maybe get some warm clothing? " Agnar suggests.

Sorry I could not get on the site for awhile.


Killer GM

I had the same problem earlier. I couldn't get any Paizo page to load from about 7 am till around 4pm. Seemed like the site was down.


Killer GM

Kendra asked Delia for the spirit Planchette (I believe that was who was carrying it last), and presuming that she hands it over with no objection, Kendra takes it over to the Podium and places it down on the top surface.

The kit contains a thin wooden board, with the words 'Yes' 'No' and 'Maybe' writer across the top, with all the letters and numbers of the common tongue written out beneath. The Planchette itself is a brass piece with a hollow in the center and an arrow indicating that whatever is visible within that window is the focus of the Planchette's attention.

Kendra places her hands on the brass piece and closes her eyes, moving the planchette randomly around the board. Soon however, you see her muscles relax, and the planchette appears to be moving itself around the board, in a slow exploratory style.

Kendra's voice is low and steady when she speaks, "Hear me spirits; those trapped and suffering in this room. Hear me, we wish to lay you to rest, but we need your help to tell us how. Hear and answer my question: Is warmth what you desire?"

Rolls behind the GM screen:
1d100 ⇒ 23
Kendra's saving throw: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

The Planchette moves slowly, but settles over the word, 'Yes.'

Her fingers not really placing much pressure on the planchette, Kendra is a bit surprised when it stops moving of its own accord. It thumbs to the lower edge of the slanted podium surface, stopped by the lip placed their to hold papers from falling to the floor.

Kendra moves a stray strand of hair back towards her bun, and returns the planchette and the board to the box. "So, we have a clue. How do we provide these spirits with the warmth they desire? I don't think anything so simple as a fire will suffice; after all, this building was destroyed by fire. If there were bones like in the furnace, I would suggest we take them to a forge or some such, but as there are not... Perhaps if we had a vessel of some sort in which to transport them?"

Just as she is finishing speaking, the podium and the benches in the room begin to rattle for a moment, as though in an earthquake; though the floor you are all standing on remains perfectly still.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

"I would say the spirit wants us to burn these benches and podium," Ember comments, stating the obvious.
"Agnar, Valachi, Zhan; if you could gather them together?"
She reaches for a bench herself, and begins to drag it towards another.


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 17/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

As the podium shakes, Delia lets out an EEP of surprise, before she grabs the vial in both hands, ready to unstopper it. Looking around, waiting for the sign of the spirit's return, she looks to Father, "Help them with furniture, would you please?"

Delia is ready with the vial in case it manifests again.


Killer GM

As Ember reaches for a bench it scoots away a few inches on one end, leaving subtly beyond the reach of her fingers. She could easily reach a bit further to grab it, but the movement seemed deliberately timed.


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

Agnar moves to pick up a bench so he can start a pile.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

Ember pauses, and contimplates her actions.
"Perhaps not burn the benches, but bless them?" she wonders aloud.


Killer GM

No response from anything in the room.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Valachi makes a deliberate attempt to grab the jumping bench.


Killer GM

The bench is not jumping. It merely moved perhaps two inches along the floor; just far enough to be out of the range of Ember's fingers.

Valachi moves beside Ember and deliberately extends his hand to grab the bench. Again it scoots perhaps an inch away, but he is able to lay his hand on it without difficulty.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Val lifts the bench, looking at the underside.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

"Or perhaps burn just the podium?" Ember ventures a guess. She turns and reaches for the podium.


Killer GM

Valachi - You lift the bench and examine the underside. There is nothing unusual about it. It is an old, worn, wooden bench with no back.

Ember V- There is no response at the verbalized question, but when you reach for the podium, it rattles a little bit as if to discourage the action.

Kendra pipes in, "The spirits here certainly seem to be trying to communicate. Perhaps we just need a way to help them make their wishes more clear." She raises her voice a little and addresses the room, "Spirits? Can you understand me?" The benches and podium rattle in response. "Can you rattle once for a 'Yes' and twice for 'No'?" The furniture rattles again, then after a long pause it rattles once again, pauses and rattles again. Kendra turns and smiles at the rest of the group.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

"Spirits, do you wish a small fire to warm you without burning the furniture in this room?" Ember quiries.


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Valachi slowly puts the bench down. By the look on his face, he seems unsure whether to be horrified or to laugh.


Killer GM

After Ember's question there is a rattle, a pause, and then another rattle.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

"Would you want us to burn the podium?" Ember asks next.

Come on people. I'm not the only one who can offer suggestions.


Killer GM

Two rattles.

What Ember said.

Kendra says, "Do you want another sort of fire?"

Two rattles.

Riff gets in on it and asks, "You want heat, but not fire?"

One Rattle.


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

"Try ask if blankets would be okay since they do not seem to want fire or maybe hides?." Agnar suggests to Ember and Kendra.


Killer GM

Kendra gives Agnar a wry look, "I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, Agnar. Spirits? Why... damnit, I wish they could just answer that." She turns to the others present. "They want heat, but not fire. Why would they want that, and how would we provide it for them. There are no bones here, so we have nothing physical to use to represent the spirits. Spirits? Do you require a proxy or a vessel of some sort? An object to represent your travel from this place?"

One rattle.


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

Agnar shrugs "They said they wanted heat."


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

"Maybe we can find a winter blanket, or old lantern... I don't know." Valachi shrugs. "Should we move on and return?"


Female Human Master Summoner 4 (AC: 16 [T: 12 /F: 14]; CMD 15; HP: 17/23; F+0, R+3, W+6 [+8 vs Fear]; Init: +2; Perc: +2)

Delia is confused by the whole exchange, she looks back and forth between both sides the men with their literal ideas and the women with their clarifications, nodding in agreement as each speaks. "What if we are looking at this too black and white? What about heat or warmth, in a not real sense. What about the warmth of compassion, the heat of a body held close, the fire of love? Maybe they just feel the cold of loss and regret." she asks, with eyebrows raised, as if she wants someone to agree so she doesn't feel ridiculous for asking.


Killer GM

We will experiment here with a modest time split, for starters, to see how it goes. The group has reported that they would like to continue until they have one more encounter, so I will keep that in mind. Valachi had indicated that he wanted to explore the room in the North West corner (bottom right on the map) next, so I will make that the next accessed room. When you are posting actions and responses, please make sure to address in which room you are taking said action. Things happening in the current room will be considered to have happened prior to moving into the next room, so you may declare actions in both rooms if you please.

In the Auditorium:
In response to Delia's line of questioning, there is a long pause, as if they are deciding how to answer, or which part of her reasoning to respond to. However, in the end the result is the same as before; a rattle, a pause, and then another.

The next room:
Unlike the other doors you have encountered thus far, the door to this room appears to be heavy and reinforced, and quite in tact. Once seeing the door, a glance at the other doors shows that it is definitely of a different make and intent. Whatever was behind this door, it was more restricted than the doors you have past thus far. Kirill examines the door as he did the others, and declares it to be sound, but that the lock is also in good working order, and could be picked. He works on it for a time, but eventually has to give up, stating that like the door you saw on the balcony, this lock is too sophisticated for him to open with the tools he presently has at his disposal. The other party members examine the door as well and decide that it would take a fair amount of punishment to batter it down, but that it might be doable. (Hardness 10, 60 HP, Strength DC 28 to force - the lock is a DC 30).


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

The Next Room

"Might be that we need to locate a key to get through. A bit of smash might work, but I think we should try keeping our presence low profile, if we can." Valachi tries to recall any passages or other doors we've skipped.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

In the Auditorium:
"I would guess that they just want warmth without a fire. Do we have some object that we could heat up to give them?"


Male Half-Elf/Kellid 3 Barbarian Wild Rager/Totem Warrior/1 Fighter Two-Handed Fighter

Next Room.

"Seems to be a good idea." Agnar says after hearing Valachi.


HP 52/52 | AC 19 (T 12, FF 17) | CMD 15 | F +7 | R +4 | W +12 | Init +9 | Per +14

The next room

"Shall we try the door on the opposite side then? It appears to of a more common construction. We should note this room though; such a sturdy door is likely to con eal something of note."


Male Human Ranger (Shapeshifter) 3 { AC 13 | 18 of 35 hp }

Can you repost the current map, please?


Killer GM
Valachi wrote:
Can you repost the current map, please?

Of course.

Auditorium
Progress

I apologize for any slow down of postings lately on my part; I am leaving work to go visit family for a week, and so I have been doing all the necessary prep to account for my absence next week. I'll be driving all day tomorrow, but I will have internet where I am staying, so I should be able to continue posting throughout.

Auditorium:

Ember V wrote:
"I would guess that they just want warmth without a fire. Do we have some object that we could heat up to give them?"

After Ember says this, there is an immediate single rattle, and then silence.

Zhan notes the response from the room, "I don't believe I have anything like that. I could heat up a shell casing from my gun easily enough, but it is very small, and not likely to stay hot long." He pulls one of the bullets from his belt, and holds it up to demonstrate the size.

There are two rattles in response.


Killer GM

Riff pipes in, "There was a lot of metal in the last room, and plenty of wood in here for fuel. There may also be some what's usable in the coal shoot. We could start up a fire in the furnace, a heat up one of them hunks of iron. Would that be better?

A single rattle answers.

"Is that it? Will that give you rest?" Kendra puts in.

A rattle, a pause, and then a second.

I've reached my destination. My wifi is working, so I'll be checking in regularly.


| HP: 27/27 | AC: 17 (T:11 , FF: 16 ) | CMD: 15 | F +6 | R +2 | W +7 | Init +3 | Per +6 | Channel: 7/7

Auditorium
"Then we shall do that," Ember decides. "Riff, can you gather up the needed items to do so. I will assist you."

1,001 to 1,050 of 2,574 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Orlok Jr's Carrion Crown - Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.