Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Quateros Revisited

Game Master sunshadow21

Our adventurers have secured a foothold in their new lives, and have been called back to Borentia for a new assignment. Where will it lead them this time?


51 to 100 of 108 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Half-Orc

Since I have Darkvision, I'll take Midnight watch.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Last Watch is fine.


1st-Zhiyo, Atokos
2nd-Morbak
3rd-Crispin, Evrail

The night is quiet, and aside from a fox that snoops around the edge of camp during the first watch looking for some scraps, nothing exciting happens. The next day dawns with nasty looking clouds on the horizon, making you glad that you are almost to your destination. As the day progresses, the wind starts to pick up, and the clouds start to build up, making it rather unpleasant as you hurry along. You are able to make good time though, as the road to the estate has been improved since your initial visit. Just as you see the last bit of the sun peeking through the clouds before setting, you finally reach the estate.

A newcomer would not guess what it looked like as recently as a year ago. There is a proper village square built up just outside the main compound, which sits on one side of it, surrounded by a handful of businesses and homes. There are numerous paths leading off to cabins and buildings scattered throughout the estate. Your tavern, the Burning Flagon, is connected to an inn run by the Kat with the help of other dragons in humanoid form. Sylvia can usually be found there. Other buildings include a stable, a bunkhouse, a blacksmith, and a chapel, as well as a few small houses where the permanent residents live. The compound itself serves as the company headquarters for this area, with the main house having been converted to offices, and permanent housing for the office staff in the other buildings. Sur'kil thanks your for your services when you arrive and heads to the compound to take care of some business. You head into your tavern, and are greeted by Loranda, a smiling halfling lass who, despite, or perhaps because of, the challenges of running the business, has bloomed into a rather fetching looking lady. You find that she has your supper prepared already and set out in one of the back rooms, including Crispin's favorite dish, though how she knew you were coming you're not immediately certain. After a flirty smile aimed toward Crispin, she disappears once more into the common room to serve the folks gathered there.

You have the evening ahead of you to do with as you wish.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin blushes a bit, and smiles at her before she goes. He watches her leave the room, then says "This place seems to be shaping up, seems to be a nice place, compared to what it was when we found it." Crispin wonders how they knew we were coming.


Half-Orc

After stowing his gear away in his room, Morbak decides to go and find Sylvia.


Male Human Fighter (Lasher) 3

"You've done a good job with it, looks like," Atokos says, surveying all around him passively before beginning on his meal.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Looks about a bit before starting up his meal as well he, keeps silent mostly waiting for the others to speak some more.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

"And to think the first thing I tried to do was burn it." Zhiyo grabs a roll then follows after Morbak.


Half-Orc

"Those were some good times." He turned to Zhiyo, "So...what have you been up to for the past year?"


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

"Other then telling fortunes? Mostly expanding my spell library. I still need to get few powerfull spells to take back home to be a fullfledged mastermage."


As you are talking, a beautiful red hedded human female enters the room. It takes a minute, but many of the party are able to recognize Sylvia, who seems to be smiling about something, but you aren't sure what. She lets the party members from the north know that rooms have been prepared in the inn next door for them when they are ready to retire (the others already have lodgings of their own back in the small complex of support buildings attached to the tavern) as she sits down and asks the newcomers what kind of exciting stories they have to tell.


Half-Orc

"Hello Sylvia, how have you been?"


"Good, I've been working with Kat at the inn, and she has taught me a number of things." She's still smiling, as if waiting to see if you say something, or if she gets to say it first.

Lantern Lodge

M Human Intellectual Fighter 2, Scientist 1

"You've grown quite a bit Sylvia. Looking good too. Doing good in all your studies?" Zhiyo looks at her trying to dicern what all has changed.


"They must be going well; I followed you all morning, and nobody said a word, even Lord Sur'kil, though I'm sure he probably noticed."


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin slaps the table and laughs " Were you the Fox that was tracking along.


She just smiles and is about to respond when an older woman walks in; it takes a second, but you quickly figure out it's Kat. "Sylvia, I need your help in the inn, a large group showed up, and we need to prepare the rooms for them; you'll have time enough on the trip ahead to hear all their stories." Sylvia leaves reluctantly, with Kat close behind, "I apologize for not staying and talking, but business comes before pleasure."

The next couple of days passes by quickly. Those not familiar with the estate get a full tour which even includes the public areas of the compound. The main building has essentially been turned into an office building, with the various outer buildings being updated to house the permanent office staff along with their servants and horses. There are a number of cabin clusters of various sizes for those seeking a little bit more privacy, and the square itself is bustling as new people pull in every day to settle in for the winter. Sur'kil stays within the compound and seems content to simply rest in his quarters for the most part, though he does have a long meeting with Kat and Sylvia, and is always willing to field any questions from your party whenever you see him out and about.

If you wish to ask Sur'kil, Kat, or any of the other NPCs any questions, or do any last minute shopping, now is the time to do so. I will advance the game on Monday so as to give people sufficient time to do so.


At some point on the 3rd day there, you get summoned to the compound, and led downstairs to the basement, which has been turned into private offices. Sur'kil and Sylvia are waiting for you in one of the meeting rooms. He speaks up, "The ships are within range for us to execute our plan. Because of the sensitive nature of this task, we will be joining them enroute, so as to avoid any opportunities for would be spies to figure out what we are doing in advance. Several of the local dragons, including Sylvia here, will be helping us get the ships via their underwater routes. Sylvia will also be joining us for the trip, as the local elders have decided that this is a good opportunity for her to learn about the larger concerns of the world as their representative on this expedition."

After a few more brief instructions on precisely how you are going to get to the boats, you go even further down into the dragon lair below the estate. For those who have been here before, it's looks a bit different. One wing has been closed off, and is where Kat, Rogforo, when he is around, and her staff, including Sylvia live; a tunnel to the basement to the inn has been added. The rest has been turned into visiting quarters for other dragons, such as Sur'kil, who as soon as you reach the main chamber of the lair, transforms into his normal self, a huge blue dragon, and Sylvia reverts to her normal form, a medium sized bronze dragon, but she is definitely bigger than when you last saw her in her dragon form. Kat and several other dragons, all in their dragon forms, are waiting, and after casting water breathing on all of you, lead you through a series of waterways, some above ground, some not, out to an isolated cove where there are dinghys waiting to take you out to the ship.

With Sur'kil and Sylvia back in human form, you are ferried out to where the two small ships are anchored as their crews get fresh water and game from the shore. The first couple of days go by quick; the weather is cooperating, and the only potential annoyance is Sylvia constantly hounding you for more and more stories of your travels. On the third day, the seas are choppy, and most non essential personnel are staying below decks, but as the storm is building a cry goes up of a ship sighted, which brings the guards, and yourselves out so that you can be prepared for an attack should it be necessary. As you watch, you see the outline of a ship against the backdrop of the approaching storm.

If you wanted to do anything while on board, let me know. Otherwise, I need to know what preparations, if any, you are making as the strange ship approaches.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin smiles when he hears Sylvia will be coming with them.

Crisping does his best to tell Sylvia Stories of the past year but not that he runs out but he keeps thinking of the loss of the past year.

When Crispin hear the call that another ship is approaching and he should be ready just incase there is combat, he puts on his mithral shirt and draws his blades. He is almost excited to be in a fight.


Male Human Fighter (Lasher) 3

Atokos puts his mithral shirt on as well, taking his whips in hand and cracking them a few times.

Well, this looks like it could get dicey, eh? Maybe a little interesting?

I only just now saw that their were posts. Sorry for the lack of posting. I've got people in my house who reset my (x new) things for fun.


Not a problem. I understand that Paizo has been having issues lately, and having people playing with your account doesn't help matters.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

"Am I being overly paranoid to wonder if someone on that ship has something to do the storm behind that ship?"

Zhiyo preps for the arrival of the other ship.


Half-Orc

"It certainly is an interesting sight."


I'll get something up tomorrow. The last few days have been a headache in real life, and I haven't had much chance to let my mind relax enough to work on the campaign unfortunately.


As the strange ship approaches, your captain and the other ship in your group spread out forcing it to choose which target to go after. You notice that your ships are both doing pretty well in the choppy seas while the approaching ship seems to be sitting unusually low in the water.

As it approaches, you are able to piece together the story from what you have heard up to this point on the trip and what the men are saying around you. There is a ghost story of an old pirate that refused to be defeated by anybody or anything, including the seas themselves. Thus when a storm struck and sank his fleet a few days out from port after a particularly successful voyage, his last words were to curse the storms and cast some kind of magic to stave off the final blow. While it didn't stop the ship from sinking, the magic supposedly tied the ship to the power of the storm, and now, whenever a storm builds up enough strength, this ghost ship of his appears in or around it, only to fade away once again, along with anybody and anything unfortunate enough to be on it, when the storm weakens. While the storm is strong enough, however, the crew of this strange ship fight as they did in real life, with ferocity and taking no prisoners, taking on loot as they can, always finding more room for it. It is said that anyone who could defeat the pirates, and get the loot before the ship disappears would be a rich man indeed; many a man has tried, and all have failed, doomed to join the stricken crew in their eternal quest for plunder.

The enemy ship is now close enough you can see clearly see a pirate flag flying from the mast as it chooses to close with the other ship. Your captain starts to close on the opposite side, careful to wait until the enemy ship is fully engaged before getting too close. You can see what appears to be perfectly normal, blood thirsty pirates on the deck readying gangplanks and grappling hooks.

You will have one round to get off a ranged shot at about 60 feet before your ship is fully engaged with the enemy, and another round after that before gangplanks are laid and you are dealing with the enemy face to face. Go ahead and roll two ranged attacks if you wish, and I'll get a map up for the melee tomorrow or Tuesday.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

So I can't start shooting at 600', 10 increments out with a -20 penalty? To bad, was hoping to get a crit on the first shot, just cause that would be epic awesomeness.

Zhiyo moves up the rigging to take shots with his short bow. Just before getting to 60' he will cast shield on himself.
Atk 60': 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 181d6 ⇒ 6
Atk close: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 111d6 ⇒ 3


Half-Orc

Morbak, upon noticing their ships course, notched an arrow and waited until they got to within about 100 feet then looses it at the pirate ship.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Critical Confirm: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8
In case that was a confirmed crit: 1d8 ⇒ 2, 1d8 ⇒ 7

Notching another arrow, the Half-Orc waited until they were a little closer. 60 ft

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
In case that was a hit: 1d8 ⇒ 3


You're in choppy seas. Simply aiming takes a bit of time in and of itself as the ship goes up and down.


Half-Orc

Hence the waiting.


Male Human Fighter (Lasher) 3

Atokos takes a shot with his bow, after which ,the next round, he draws his whips, and readies an action to trip the first one to cross on a gangplank with his heirloom whip.

Longbow Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Longbow Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Readied trip: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


Ship Combat Round

As much as I would love to roll initiative properly, it's not happening this week, so I'm going to make it simple. The enemy crew (black outline) has just dropped the planks, and you are up. After you all have posted (taking things in posting order to keep things simple), the friendly npcs(orange-melee, green-some archers up in the crow's nests) go, than the bad guys again. Hopefully, my job interview on Thursday goes well, and I can return to some kind of normalcy. I'll post a full status update with the npcs' actions.

There is other action going on as well; this is just the part that directly affects you.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo will ready his longspear and wait till someone tries to cross the gangplank, then he will drop onto the plank with a lightning hands. (First use of his 2/day feather fall charm)

15' cone of lightning: 2d4 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7


Half-Orc

Seeing the shadowy figures on the deck, Morbak takes a shot.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Most likely a hit, Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin swings his Sling at the creatures on the other boat and lets loose with a stone.

Attack 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Damage 1d3 + 2 + 2d4 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (4, 2) = 11


Morbak and Crispin both send projectiles across the gap, and while both find their mark, Crispin's stone just bounces off the man's armor. Your allies moves to stop the enemy on the gangplanks, and the ones on either end move off to the side and switch to bows, seeing the gangplanks sufficiently guarded. The enemy comes across 3 to a gangplank and one archers stays back to help cover them. Zhiyo's lightning annoys, but does not kill any on the left flank, and one of those effected manages to avoid the worst of it. On the right flank, Atokos' whip sends one man straight down into the water, who immediately moves to get anywhere but between two ship hulls in a stormy sea. The enemy archers tries to hit Atokos but misses, and though your allies on that plank fight hard, they do not drop the man that reaches the end of the gangplank, and that man also takes a swing at Atokos, and also misses. On the left plank, none of the advancing melee guys make it into melee range as the lead guy is cut down by one of your allies. Meanwhile, your allied archers pour down arrows into the enemy ranks, and a few of them even manage to hit.

ship combat round 2:
Round 2

Status
Atokos 34/34
Crispin 21/21
Evrail 34/34
Morbak 20/20
Zhiyo 12/12

Left Ramp (dead, 7 damage (severely hurt), 3 damage (moderately hurt))
Archer (3 damage (moderately hurt)
Right Ramp (in water, 3 damage (moderately hurt), 2 damage (noticeably hurt))

The party is up. Sorry about the delay; job hunting is so much more tiring than any job.


Male Human Fighter (Lasher) 3

Atokos lashes at the man who attacked him, trying to deal some damage while also putting him at a disadvantage.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Trip, Heirloom: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

Well, that attack doesn't look too good. At least I don't provoke AoOs for attacking with my whips while adjacent. Maybe I'll do better next round.


Half-Orc

Morbak notches another arrow and looses it at the one almost straight across from him. F4

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6


The enemy archer is severely wounded, but not yet dead.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin tries to Aim more for his face and tries his sling again.

Attack 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Damage 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Crispin just barely hits one of the men on the planks.

I'll get an update up tonight; this week has been interesting, to say the least.


It takes a couple of rounds to fend off the assault, but it never really is in question who will win. The fighting on the other side is more in doubt, and you think that an assault from the rear might be enough to tip the balance, and that as long as you stay on deck, you shouldn't be in too much danger of being caught on the ghost ship.

Do any of you decide to reinforce the battle on the other side of the ship by going onto the enemy ship?


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin will


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo charges across after Crispin, but remains ready to run and hop off the side at any moment.


Male Human Fighter (Lasher) 3

Atokos also joins in the fight on the other side.

Sorry about the inactivity, This is the first time I've even opened a browser in quite a while.


The party surges forward to catch their foe in the rear, and the battle crescendos with the raging storm. Even to landlubbers like yourself, it is clear that your own captain and his counterpart in the accompanying ship both lead extremely adept crews, as at no point do you yourselves have to worry abut anything other than fighting. Another couple minutes of fighting passes as you deal with fighting the strange ghost pirates on the decks of the three ships, and the marines with you prove as adept as the sailors, easily handling whatever the pirates throw at them with few losses. Finally, as the first edge of the storm seems to be edging, and any weapons, armor, and loot that could be found on the dead pirates have been grabbed, the other ship has disconnected, and only a few men, your party and a few other stragglers, remain on deck the ghost ship, when one final wave of pirates emerges from the decks below, this time led by a rather larger man who is clearly a cut above the rest in terms of both leadership, personal skill, and equipment. Despite the fact that you are certain you are running out of time before the ship fades again, you make one last final stand to cover the retreat of the remaining marines.

Everyone go ahead and give me 4 attack and damage rolls or other appropriate spells/actions. There isn't much in the way of tactics available to you; it's a general, large melee on a relatively small area of deck.


Half-Orc

Attack 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Damage 1: 1d8 ⇒ 4

Attack 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Damage 2: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Attack 3: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Damage 3: 1d8 ⇒ 8

Attack 4: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Damage 4: 1d8 ⇒ 8


Male Human Fighter (Lasher) 3

Trip: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Trip: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Trip: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Trip: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

As a TWFer, I'd prefer to do some TWFing, so, if possible, I'd like to add these in as well:

Disarm: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Disarm: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Disarm: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Disarm: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


With some help from the archers in the masts of your ship, you are able to comfortably hold them back long enough for the others and yourselves to safely return to your own ship and break away. At first it seems like they are going to try to pursue, as a massive monster of a man can be seen coming up as you start to back away, roaring and cursing as he sees the carnage before him, but as soon as he steps on deck, the ship starts to fade away and in another minute, the space where the ship was is completely empty, leaving behind nothing but choppy waves. The rest of the night is uncomfortable as the storm ebbs and flows, and though it mostly breaks up by morning, the rest of the trip is a bit unpleasant as the seas churn and increasingly colder winds blow. Sylvia, however, is having a blast, and your discomfort is mitigated by the many small favors you receive from the crew of the ship after your success against the ghost pirates. You even encounter another pirate ship trying to return to safe haven; this one is very real, and after a short struggle in which the pirates are completely outmatched, you capture and plunder the ship, which while it won't make any single individual rich, will still allow a pretty nice bonus for everyone.

Thus it is with 3 ships in your convoy that you arrive in the bay beneath the city of Freeharbor. To the north you can see the wide expanse of the Boiling Desert, a vast expanse of sand dunes and monsters. You can even see hints of the peaks of the Io Mountains to the northwest. Freeharbor itself is built out of ancient ruins and due to it's location on southern tip of the continent, has become one of the largest market hubs of the both Tora and the world as a whole. It, and the large natural bay beneath it, sits on the northeast edge of a plateau about 75 miles long and 20 miles wide that towers over the Boiling Waste, and is filled with agricultural land fed by wells and bubbling springs. The plateau, with both major commerce, and a surprising amount of agriculture, form the heart of the Tunoth Confederacy for this region of the world.

After docking and getting everything situated with the ships and finding lodging, Sur'kil takes your group to a small temple in the temple district where the infected from the island have been staying it's hospital wing. Most of them seem to have mostly recovered, though most still report recurring headaches and strange dreams.

You each get 500 gp from the plunder taken on the way here. You can question the recovering folk, and you can shop and explore as well; for shopping, Freeharbor literally has anything you could possibly want. The market district dominates the entire center of town, with a huge open air market in the very center.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

did anyone see Crispin's attacks, I posted after Atokos


Half-Orc

Nope.

51 to 100 of 108 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Quateros Revisited All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.