Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


ProfPotts' Legacy of Fire PBP

Game Master Alexander Scott


2,501 to 2,550 of 2,898 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>

hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender starts to study the ruins. "I don't really know much about this kind of stuff... " Despite what lavender says, she tries to help Bahram figure out what the columns are about.

Spellcraft 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 (helping other, if possible)


"Yeah, me neither. But I can see if anything is trapped."

Perception for traps 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Normal +7 for 23
Sight +12 for 28


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

nervously walking back and forth

Qadira

Bahram and Lavender:
Figuring out the spells on the columns will take an hour and a DC 21 Spellcraft check per spell. As with Knowledge checks, in this case you only get the one roll (until your Spellcraft skill increases that is) per spell to try to figure it out, and there's six spells in total. Trying to decipher the spells is pretty intense work, so it wouldn't count as 'resting' - but could be done whilst others rested, if wanted... barring interuptions, of course...

Yousef:
In the altar's alcove you spot a narrow passageway to the east, which appears to lead into a small chamber... but, before you get too close, the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, and your eyes are drawn to a subtle movement within the sculptures at the base of the altar... like scales moving quietly across scales... You're pretty sure that approaching the altar will set something off...


Yousef draws Tempest "Something's in there, guys.

Readied action to charge attack anything that strikes out at the sorcerers.


"Oh, just perfect." Bahram says with a tired sigh, "What do you see?"

Bahram steps behind a column and peeks his head at the alcove, waiting for something to happen. "I'm nearly out of spells, let's hope it's friendly."

Qadira

Yousef:
The subtle hint of scaley movement from the sculptures beneath the altar appears to cease when you step back from the altar, and increase (rapidly) if you approach - whatever it is seems to be triggered by proximity...

Despite Yousef's warning, nobody else manages to spot anything 'in' anything in the room...


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

drawing scimatar w/ shield step forward and look about.


Yousef will slowly move forward and back, testing the agitation of the thing he sees, trying not to set it off or scare it.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


"Umm... Yousef?" Bahram says, watching as Yousef sways back and forth in front of the altar. "You still with us? What do you see?"


"Over by those sculptures. Something is there that seems to move more rapidly the closer we get."


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

"Does it look hostile?"

Qadira

The alabaster altar is a full ten feet wide, and a little less than that deep, and appears perfectly clean and polished as it gleams in the erratic blue light cast by the eerie glass lamps suspended between the columns of the chamber on green copper chains. The sculptures Yousef refers to are those on the altar's pedestal - carvings in the shape of winged, scale-covered bulls.

Yousef:
With a little (careful) experimention you become convinced that the effect you've spotted is a magical trap or defense of some kind - and that approaching within ten feet of the altar will trigger it. Unfortunately that would include any attempt to reach the small side-chamber you noted in the altar's alcove. From your own experience, and the rumours you've heard over the years, you'd be surprised if there wasn't some way to safely approach the altar - such magical defenses often have visual or spoken ques to allow passage to those with permission... although you've also heard of more complex set-ups using more esoteric magics to determine who would be allowed past them...


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

Does anyone got detect magic going? Maybe it's magical and will detect as such, I guess, sice neer used it myself.


"I believe it is some kind of magical trap. There may be a way to bypass using magic or some kind of keyword. Maybe there is a safe path that won't trigger it." Yousef inspects a little closer trying to wrack his brain for any ideas.
.
.
Disable Device (to determine how, not to actually do anything yet) 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25
Knowledge (local) (for any legends or information) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
UMD (same reason as rolling DD) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


"Is it safe?" Bahram asks, his head still peeking from behind the pillar he's hiding behind. 'Some sorcerer you are.' he scolds himself and forces his feet forward.

Casting detect magic, giving his eyes that all-too-familiar blue glow, he fingers his new-found holy symbol, hanging by his neck by the Guides' Token and approaches the altar. 'Sweet Nethys, guide me as I view this wonderful creation.' he prays silently as he inspects the carvings.

spellcraft; 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

Stay behind me Bahram, incase of trouble


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender walks up behind Yousef, rubbing her eyes from looking at the runes. "Be careful guys. It's probably something to gaurd these spells..."


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender cast's Detect Magic, and studies the object as Bahram does.

Spellcraft 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Rashid puts a restraining hand on Keldar's shoulder.

"Those temple guardians we encountered earlier stood-down when Bahram presented that holy symbol of his, so it is possible a similar system may work here. Let Bahram go ahead..."

I am not saying much at present, as I do not feel that Rashid can really contribute to a discussion about 'arcane' matters ;-)

Qadira

Yousef:
Although you recall no local legends about this altar, you're pretty sure that some of the pseudo-mystical mutterings which worked on the fire-producing statues should work on this thing too...

Bahram and Lavender:
The altar does indeed possess a faint magical aura - as Yousef suggested, it appears to be mystically warded, in this case to summon a fiendish viper when someone approaches within ten feet of it...

As Bahram cautiously edges forwards, within the range of when the mystical effect should trigger, hand on his holy symbol of Nethys, the movement of scales over scales seeming to come from the sculptures themselves - which Yousef noted earlier - becomes plain for all to see. However, the actual 'trap' effect doesn't yet manifest... almost as if Bahram was teetering on the brink of triggering or not triggering the ward...


Stopping in his tracks Bahram's brow furrows as he purses his lips and inspects the magically moving carvings. "uummm... It's definately magical... faint, but active... a summoning spell? For a fiendish viper!" he almost squeaks out the last sentence, raking his brain for a way to counter the summoning.

'anothersummoningspell?wouldanyconjurationmagicwork?howaboutanopposingschoo l?alteration?transmutation?illusion?Oh,sweetNethyswhattodo?' runs through his mind as he unconsciously mutters prayers to Nethys.

Kn; Arcana; 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

Prof:
as he sqeaks out that it is a summons of a viper, I will spont a 1st level spell into SN1 and counter spell it. yea, figure all casters know about countering, just not sure how SNA works against SM


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender leans forward, squinting her eyes, trying to beleive what she is seeing. When Bahram confirms it, she remarks. "...A fiendish... Viper... Is that it? Seems a bit lame compared to the stoned sphinxes, the hall of insanity and the four armed yacht tour guide. Maybe we should just trigger it and deal with the thing. Problem solved. Unless... Do you think the trap resets once triggered? Or maybe it summons more then one? Maybe it's a really big viper? (Sigh) I hate traps..." Despite Lavender's statement, she seems quite intrigued by it.

Qadira

Bahram:
Based on the mystical aura you've observed, you'd imagine that a summon monster II spell would counter the effect of the warded altar... although as Lavender muses, that's no guarantee that the thing won't simply summon another serpent straight away...

Keldar:
You know that your own powers can't counter that sort of arcane summoning (SNA only counters SNA, not SM, sorry).

As Bahram considers the altar, and the others ready themselves, a serpent finally manifests from within the carvings - a jet black thing, a full eight feet long and as thick as a grown man's arm! Rearing up, the serpent flairs out its hood, venom dripping from its fangs to sizzle ominously on the floor as its eyes glow a threatening red colour...


Bahram launches into into a summoning spell of his own, directing his energies into dispelling the ones on the altar.

Counterspell!


ProfPotts wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Yousef raises his hands, one of which still gripping the flachion, and coughs. "Ahem. Mecca lecca hi, mecca hiney ho. Go away snake!"


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender steps back. "...And Of course it's really big... I hate it when I'm right..."


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Sigh. Ah, the impetuousness of youth!

"Well, it looks like it did not work out after all..."

Rashid starts to move forward, scimitar at the ready, intending to place himself betwixt Bahram and the serpent...

Qadira

As the serpent snakes its way out of the altar, Bahram casts a spell of his own, causing the fiendish thing to vanish in a puff of black smoke. As he does so, Yousef darts across to the altar (no disarming traps at range - sorry!) and utters his (scary as all heck!) chant... No more snakes manifest... And anyone checking with detect magic will confirm that the mystical ward is 'disarmed'.


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

good job all


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

"Right. Well, is there anything else in here, or is it time to go?"


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

What, we'er going. Okay lets go


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender rubs her hands together. "Nope! Time to investigate! Nobody traps something for no reason! There is more to this alter here than what we first thought!" Lavender says, that curious sparkle back in her eyes!

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Damn, that sure was some sparkle! A roll like that for me probably means that there is nothing there...


Sagging with relief when the serpent un-summons Bahram casts detect magic to confirm that the trap is disarmed, grinning with pride at the results. "It's all clear. Let's see whats in there." he says, stepping into the room with his spell still active.


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Rashid smiles at Bahram.

"Well done!"


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th
Lavender Leaf wrote:

Lavender rubs her hands together. "Nope! Time to investigate! Nobody traps something for no reason! There is more to this alter here than what we first thought!" Lavender says, that curious sparkle back in her eyes!

Perception 1d20+8
Damn, that sure was some sparkle! A roll like that for me probably means that there is nothing there...

Course, we dwarves wouldnt think of false traps and dead ends.


Lavender Leaf wrote:
Lavender rubs her hands together. "Nope! Time to investigate! Nobody traps something for no reason! There is more to this alter here than what we first thought!" Lavender says, that curious sparkle back in her eyes!

"Yeah there's gots to be some good stuff down here!"


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Everything ok Prof?

Qadira

There proves to be a small room off the side of the niche the altar is in - barely six or seven feet across. Considering the proximity to the altar, and the size, best guest would be that the room was a vestry of some kind, but now it stands open and barren, any rich paraphernalia once kept here by the temple's priests in ancient times long since gone...

Lavender:
As you search the area you discover a section of the room's southern wall which pivots, opening onto a crumbling cavernous hall which appears to lead back into the cavern with the floating barge, hallucinagenic mists, and Bahram's new best friend...

That's pretty much it for the whole place - there's still (technically) the chance for the odd 'wandering monster' encounter, but you've basically cleared the place out now... and finally finished book 1 (main and secondary adventures!).


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Once appraised of the situation, Rashid becomes much more business-like.

"Right then. Let's head back to town, and let the good Father know what we discovered. We should also order in some scrolls from Katapesh to help Keldar and myself..."

I recall that the local Priest of Nethys was offering a cash reward for exploring the ruin ;-)

Keldar needs one scroll of Restoration, and Rashid requires two...


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender shows the others the hidden door.

"Yes, Lets get back. Me and Bahram can come back later to decipher the spells on the columns."


"Yeah, I could use a little R & R myself. And a stiff drink too."

I don't remember where Philipe died or if we even buried him, but if it was in this crypt Yousef will want to bury him near Saranae's statue (where we fought the undead thing IIRC.


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

leaving, we are leaving doing alittle half step.

Qadira

The journey back to the village proves uneventful, although Almah and her retinue are certainly pleased to have the Knight Protectors of Kelmarane back safely in (mostly) one piece. Father Zastoran excitedly quizzes you all on what you discovered, happily (despite his usually rather spendthrift tendencies) handing over the nine hundred gold darics he promised you for information. Once your story is related, the good Father focuses on questioning Bahram, seeming fascinated by the young sorcerer's experiences with the guide and the barge...

Over the following weeks and months, scores of merchants and settlers arrive and the work of rebuilding the village begins in earnest. Yet despite the turn of events for the better, rare are the nights that pass for Kelmarane's new keepers that are not punctuated by distant howls. Somewhere in the mountains the gnoll warlord known as the Carrion King still lives...

Right-oh - there's now that year of downtime I mentioned a while back, so I'll need to know what everyone plans to be doing for that year. You guys can choose pretty much anything you want, but the general catagories in the book (in case it helps) are the following:

Helping with administration of the town.
Setting up a business.
Work involving the Church of Sarenrae.
Hanging out with 'shady characters' (like Undrella, or incoming black marketeers or the like).
Exploring some personal mystery (something from your character's background).
Patrolling the the Kelmarane hinterlands (hunting gnolls and the like).
Focusing on a personal romance.
Helping to rebuild the town.
Research (studying stuff at the ruined monasteries and the church).
Travel (pretty much being anywhere else but Kelmarane).

Also, Yousef has the opportunity to spend his time practicing with his new Tempest related superpowers (although he by no means has to, and there's no point in the campaign which would penalise him for not doing so - it's simply an extra possible option for him).

Buying stuff should probably wait until you've decided on what your year's downtime will be spent doing, since lots of stuff could possibly net you some extra cash, or alter the max GP you can blow on single items at the town. Don't worry - you'll get to shop 'til you drop before we plunge into book 2, it's just that it'll help if I know what your downtime activities are first.

I hope that all makes some sort of sense - as always, feel free to ask questions!


How about research with a focus on personal romance? Bahram will want to replicate the summoning of Zaina if he can so most of his energies would go into that or research at the temple of Nethys.


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Well, oddly enough, Rashid will spend his year of 'down time' helping to restore the Temple of Sarenrae in town, and the Monastery (of Sarenrae) out in the desert...

After 'taking out' the cost of the three Restorations, each PC's share of 'party loot' comes to 4355gp, 7sp, and 4cp (less whatever was spent by a PC before we went to the temple of Nethys).

@ProfPotts: Given that we have a year of 'down time', I assume we should probably be able to identify the four 'dehydrated' potions without too much trouble?


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

I will first see if I can help to build the oasis, using what little I know of know nature and survival.

build a blacksmith. Maybe saving some expense with proffession miner, to get my own iron. Got 1 rank in craft weapons and 3 in craft armor. Also figure can do other simpler blacksmithing like nails, tools, and such.

Also will help some in scouting, since can fly around looking for any gnoll excursions.


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th
Rashid al-Gahiji wrote:

Well, oddly enough, Rashid will spend his year of 'down time' helping to restore the Temple of Sarenrae in town, and the Monastery (of Sarenrae) out in the desert...

After 'taking out' the cost of the three Restorations, each PC's share of 'party loot' comes to 4355gp, 7sp, and 4cp (less whatever was spent by a PC before we went to the temple of Nethys).

@ProfPotts: Given that we have a year of 'down time', I assume we should probably be able to identify the four 'dehydrated' potions without too much trouble?

Thanks!


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender will help in deciphering the spells in the temple. Once that is done, she might look into trying to find her dead mother's body so that it might be resurrected. (Don't really expect to find it, but it is something she would do.)

With whatever time she has left she spends it assisting in the administration of the city.

She also assists the other PCs on their own tasks if they need the assistance.

2,501 to 2,550 of 2,898 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / ProfPotts' Legacy of Fire PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.