Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

ProfPotts' Legacy of Fire PBP

Game Master Alexander Scott


1 to 50 of 2,898 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Qadira

The huge arena-like room is dominated by a massive circular wooden stage, its surface smeared and sticky with blood. Two rows of terraced wooden benches surround the stage, creaking under the jeering, yipping, and howling forms of more than two-dozen hulking hyena-men, each jostling and elbowing his neighbours in a raucous effort to get the best view of the action centre-stage. Natural light streams through a large circular opening in the citadel’s domed stone roof a full sixty feet overhead, illuminating both the stage and the myriad motes of dust which lazily drift through the oppressively hot air; air pungent with foul aromas of stale sweat, old blood, animal waste, and the distinct scent of filth-matted fur known all too well to any who’d ever encountered gnolls. Torches illuminate the darkened galleries behind the gnoll crowd, and in one quarter of the circular room a raised platform along the inner wall sports four round tables, several wooden chairs, a long bar stocked with numerous bottles of dubious content, and a few of the non-gnoll spectators – both shifty looking humans, and monstrous, dark-furred, lumbering goblinoids, their tiny glittering milk-white eyes fixed eagerly on the stage.

About twenty feet above is an open balcony, beyond which lie a series of what look to be small rooms on an upper level of the building. Several rows of empty bleachers peer down from the edge of this balcony, suggesting that the citadel was built with a far greater crowd in mind than its current gnoll masters have been able to muster. Twenty feet above the balcony level is a final, half-circle, balcony marking the highest of the citadel’s terraces. Three thrones look down from this vantage, each positioned to give a commanding view of not only the stage below, but the entire structure. The bald, weathered, human-looking figure seated in the centre throne must be at least seven feet tall as he stands to his full height, the corded muscles of his bared arms declaring his obvious physical power, even as the deep crimson fire-light smouldering in his eyes hints at a more arcane form of strength. In his hands, held horizontally in front of him, he brandishes an enormous many-flanged great-axe, the red light pulsing from the gem embedded in the weapon’s head seeming to match that in the figure’s own eyes,

‘I am Kardswann, Mouth of the Carrion King,’ declares the figure, his booming voice resonating to every part of the citadel as he speaks, clear even above the excited yowls and yelps his proclamation raises from the gnolls surrounding the stage, ‘I am Chieftain of the Kulldis Tribe, and Master of this domain. You...,’ his fiery gaze fixes the group of raggedly clad, filth-splattered, beaten, and weary captives huddled on the centre stage, each one with wrists bound tightly behind their back by strong leather thongs, each one forced to their knees by the enthusiastic spear-butts of their gnoll guards, and each one bearing a spider-like mark agonizingly branded into their shoulder just moments before to mark them as slaves, ‘... you are now the property of the Kulldis – whether you be fit to toil for your new Masters... or to be butchered to feed them... will now be determined. I advise you to choose your next words carefully, slaves – those who fail to convince of their value are fated for the night’s stew...’

Statement made, Kardswann sits. A feral looking woman with tattered wings and hawk-like feathers for hair, clad in the embroidered silk vest and veil-hung coin-belt of a dancer, steps to his side, her talon-hands seductively tracing across his broad shoulders as she too focuses her attention on the stage below. A large dark-furred gnoll, seemingly a figure of some authority, clad in a well-used armour breastplate, and wielding a weapon consisting of two spiked iron bars joined by a length of chain, grasps the nearest slave by the scruff of the neck and drags, kicks, and throws them to the centre of the stage. At a menacing growl from the gnoll the chatter and noise of his fellows softens as all eyes turn to examine the first of the fresh meat...


dot


Male Human Barbarian

The large barbarian looks around the impressive structure, his dark black eyes adjusting to the light from having his hood removed. Hearing the man speak, Saul decides the mans statements deserve an answer.

"Slave I be before. Master found holding other end of chain worse than being shackled. Saul hope you not be stupid as other master. Saul bigger, stronger than most other warriors. Saul think Kardswann should make Saul warrior. Not make Saul slave. Saul think that be best for you and me."

Saul awaits a response, his large muscled frame layered in grime from the dust mixing with sweat.


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

greetings your lord ship *bowing*. today is your lucky day, and unforanat for my former owners. i am a hard worker who is an expert miner, but of late i have found i am skilled at making simple arms. no more will you need to buy such things, that will only profit others. i am still young and so have many years ahead of me. i will easyly jusify the small amount you will need to feed me and with time as my talents grow i can even make a profit for you. but it is all up to you since you are now my master. *bows again and waits for judment*


In between the huge barbarian and a swarthy, unshaven half-orc of average height but a muscular build, is a human of a height a little shorter than the barbarian. The man is thin, and nervous. The half-orc steps in front of the man and barks at him, "BACK FOOL! RORF!" and the human stumbles backwards a couple steps, then plunges off the stage and into the crowd of barking, hyena-like humanoids. Then in Gnoll, the half-orc calls to Kardswann, "Eat the pathetic dolts like him who trips over his own feet. I been through worse. Give me a tool and I'll get to work. Besides, half-orc taste like s$#@, don't you know!"


This is not good! Bahram thinks to himself. This can't be happening! How did I end up here? The last he remembered he had a meating with a man who claimed to have a tome Bahram would be interested in. A tome of planar knowledge. How could he have been so stupid! So careless! A trap. And now to wake up screaming as his shoulder burned!

It took Bahram a moment to take in his surroundings. As it sunk in, the thought stayed with him, This is not good!

As his turn came to speak up he was hesitant at first. What was his worth? What could he do? He knew hard labor would kill him, and well, lets face it; he realy didn't want to start working all of a sudden. Eyes darting to and fro with sweat pouring down his face he finally says, "Well my lord. I am... or was... a merchant of fair success. So if you would require somone to manage your stores, keep your inventory perhaps or even a scribe?" he says hopefully, tilting his head and bowing slightly.

Qadira

Quote:
"Slave I be before. Master found holding other end of chain worse than being shackled. Saul hope you not be stupid as other master. Saul bigger, stronger than most other warriors. Saul think Kardswann should make Saul warrior. Not make Saul slave. Saul think that be best for you and me."

Kardswann glares down at the muscular savage, but little reaction can be seen on the man's impassive face. From the bar area, however, the hulking goblinoids start to chatter together in a huddle in response to Saul's plain talking statement... a moment later one of their number hurries from the room heading for parts unknown...

Quote:
greetings your lord ship. today is your lucky day, and unforanat for my former owners. i am a hard worker who is an expert miner, but of late i have found i am skilled at making simple arms. no more will you need to buy such things, that will only profit others. i am still young and so have many years ahead of me. i will easyly jusify the small amount you will need to feed me and with time as my talents grow i can even make a profit for you. but it is all up to you since you are now my master.

'We have no love for The Circle tribe or the Witch who leads them,' Kardswann's voice rumbles through the citadel, 'and would have gladly taken their slaves, skilled or not. That you profess to the skills your people are known for promises to be a bonus, that is true... maybe we will have to test your craft before we make final judgement.'

Keldar:

Spoiler:
The Circle tribe Kardswann refers to is the gnoll tribe which had Keldor, and many other slaves, excavating a site high in the moutains. The Witch is their human Mistress (and, as far as Keldor ever saw, a dangerous religious nutter as well).

Quote:
"Eat the pathetic dolts like him who trips over his own feet. I been through worse. Give me a tool and I'll get to work. Besides, half-orc taste like s!~@, don't you know!"

The assembled gnolls burst out in peals of their hyena laughter at this height of humour (or perhaps at Yousef's accent as he speaks their yipping, growling, language). Kardswann himself shows little evidence of amusment, but the dark-furred gnoll who seems to be in charge of the prisoners cracks a wide grin...

Ranks in Linguistics or Sense Motive:

Spoiler:
From their reactions (or lack of the same) to the various speeches it seems highly likely that none of the gnolls (even the dark furred guy) can speak common.

Quote:
"Well my lord. I am... or was... a merchant of fair success. So if you would require somone to manage your stores, keep your inventory perhaps or even a scribe?"

Kardswann (as usual it seems) remains impassive, but his winged lady-friend leans close to whisper in the big man's ear - her eyes fixed on Bahram with what can only be described as a predatory stare... After a few moments he waves her away, but does look to the dark-furred gnoll and shake his head ever-so-slightly... the gnoll in response appears to roll his eyes, shrug, and move on to the next slave...


The dishelved young man tenses as he watches the excange obove him, his ligtning-blue eyes darting between Kardswann and his apparent misstress. Feeling as out of place as he had ever, his fine robes now in tatters and feeling a welt forming on the left side of his othervise well-groomed head. Thats were they must have hit me.

As the verdict is in, Bahram feels a smile of relief come over his fair features. He tilts his head again and bows slightly to his new masters. At least they're not cooking me yet.


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Rashid gives a mirthless grin at Kardswann's statement.

"I think I might be too old and stringy to provide much in the way of sustenance for the tribe.

However, I do know my way around healing herbs and the other tools of the healer's trade; perhaps I could be of use treating your wounded?"


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

As the cloth is taken of of her head, lavender looks up at the leader of her captors. Normally in this situation she would have been frightened beyond belief, but instead she gritted her teeth as anger flaring up in her like she never felt before. This was the leader of her mother's killers, and if it wasn't her willpower that prevented her from attacking it was her pure exhaustion. She needed to survive and find an opportunity to achieve her vengeance. For her dear mother's sake.

With the best smile she could muster... I-I am a magician, my lord, I have a knack with magical items and spells. I could be useful as magical support, identifying magical items, and... other... things...

She gives a wink towards Kardswann. As disgusting as it is putting her self out like that was, as long as she could live long enough to avenge her mother, she would endure.


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

as he stands there waiting for judment, those who notice, notices that he keeps glancing around at his captors that are near enough to trike him, ready to duck. it dosnt seem like the tat is to bothering since it looks like hes been burnt before several times in fact. it even looks like maybe he has a tat on his forarm, or is it a burn, that looks like a hammer. standing just over 4' but solidly built. has red hair, except on top where it looks like it was burnt and than shaved off.

Qadira

Quote:

"I think I might be too old and stringy to provide much in the way of sustenance for the tribe.

However, I do know my way around healing herbs and the other tools of the healer's trade; perhaps I could be of use treating your wounded?"

Kardswann's heavy brow furrows for a moment, then he glances towards the dark-furred gnoll. With no further warning, the gnoll pulls a dagger from where it was tucked into one of his armoured bracers, grabs a scrawny looking human girl of no more than fifteen or sixteen summers from the huddled mass of slaves, and plunges the blade deep into her thigh! Her quiet sobbings change to an agonized scream then, as the gnoll twists and pulls free the blade, she falls silent, slipping from her assailant's paws to the stage, her fresh blood pooling rapidly around her to mingle with the older stains already infused in the wood. The gnoll stands back, his tongue flicking across the now-crimson blade of his dagger, as Kardswann points to the fallen girl and calls down to Rashid,

'Show me.'

DC 15 Heal check to stabilize the girl

Quote:
I-I am a magician, my lord, I have a knack with magical items and spells. I could be useful as magical support, identifying magical items, and... other... things...

The winged woman hanging near Kardswann's shoulder yells and spits profanities as she notes the half-elf's flirtatious glance at 'her' man, but Kardswann's reaction is different: leaping to his feet once more he stabs a finger towards Lavender and bellows the order,

'Gag the witch!'

For a moment the dark-furred gnoll looks worried and confused, but then Kardswann glares at him and he steps forward to pull Lavender's head back by her hair and force a filth-stained rag into her mouth! Firmly gripping the near-choking woman's hair the dark-furred gnoll signals one his fellows who steps over and secures the rag with a leather thong tied tightly around Lavender's head. The dark-furred one leaves the half-elf forced back to her knees with her new-found personal guard's paw gripped firmly on her shoulder...

'Kill her! Kill her!' the cries of Kardswann's lady friend echo down from the high balcony, but the tribe's chieftan shakes his head, a harsh look from his fiery eyes finally calming the winged woman's outburst to a silent, seething, fury...

Knowledge (Arcana) DC 20:

Spoiler:
Kardswann appears to be communicating with his gnoll lieutenant via some form of telepathy

The perverse 'selection' process continues, Kardswann sometimes commenting, but mostly sitting in stoic silence, as the fresh slaves are slowly divided into two camps: those who have apparantly shown some potential for 'usefulness', and the rest - the old, infirm, scrawny, or just plain unlucky (like the poor chap the half-orc forced into the crowd of gnolls...). Finally, with the gnoll crowd starting to lose interest, and the collection of misanthropes at the bar having long since turned back to their drinks and dice, Kardswann nods towards the dark-furred gnoll, stands, and leaves his balcony, winged paramour in tow.

The dark-furred gnoll yaps out orders, and several of his tribemates crowd round the 'unselected': pushing, shoving, cursing, and generally herding them from the central room. The half-dozen guards the dark-furred gnoll selects for the more 'useful' slaves seem a bit more organized as they form-up around their captives, spears at the ready in paws, and march them the opposite way out of the great chamber.

yes, all the PCs have proven to be 'useful'... I guess there's a first time for everything, right? ;)

The group of captives is marched past the benches surrounding the central stage, down a short corridor which divides what appears to be an outer ring of small stone market stalls - most now in a shocking state of disrepair - and towards a large set of solid-looking bronze-bound double doors. Here the gap between the ring of stalls and what must be the citadel's outer wall forms a circular corridor, continuing flat in one direction, and rising up as stairs in the other. A tired looking goblin clad in, of all things, a colourful jester's outfit stirs as the group approaches, rubs sleep from his eyes with a yawn, then (upon seeing the dark-furred gnoll leading the group) leaps up with a yelp, the bells sewn into his outfit jingling as he does so, and prostraits himself on the ground, scrabbling backwards as he squeals,

'Ugruk no beat Jank! Jank a good goblin! Jank not sleeping, Jank just resting eyes! Nice Master Ugruk! Merciful Master Ugruk!'

For his part the dark-furred gnoll (apparantly called 'Ugruk') completely ignores the fawning goblin, instead waiting while two of his troops swing open the double doors - bathing the group in the blinding light of a mid-day sun - his eyes darting warily over the slaves in his care as they do so.

Stepping out into the harsh sunlight the slaves have a moment to take in their surroundings - an apparantly (mostly) abandoned market town, with flat-roofed Katapeshi-style buildings falling slowly to rubble all around. They appear to be in the mountains somewhere, one large mist-shrouded peak in particular dominating the far-off skyline.

Knowledge (geography, history, or local) check DC 10:

Spoiler:
The large peak is obviously Pale Mountain, placing them somewhere in the northern scrublands of Katapesh.

DC 20

Spoiler:
This place seems to match descriptions of Kelmarane - a town which was purged and abandoned almost a generation ago when some unknown darkness infected the town and forced the Pact Masters to send their troops in. Rumours about what that darkness was abound, but none can claim to know for certain.

DC 25

Spoiler:
You recall that Kelmarane also sported a small fort in the mountains to the north-west, and a monastery of Sarenrae to the south, both abandoned along with the town. The river running through the town was fed by a waterfall to the north-east which rumours claim is haunted.

Having escorted the group of slaves a short way from the central circular domed citadel, Ugruk motions Yousef forwards, points towards a large pile of rubble blocking the way into an impressive, and mostly intact, palace-like mansion of a building, and begins to growl and yap in what seems to pass for language among the gnolls...

In gnoll:

Spoiler:
'You will translate for the others, funny-man. For now you will all dig. Dig with enthusiasm and you get water. Dig for a long time and you get food. Dig poorly and you will be food - for us or for old Bonegrinder. Your hands will be freed, but my warriors are all around. Try to escape and we will hunt you down... if you're lucky... if Kezurkian does not find you first...'

With a signal from Ugruk one of the gnoll guards starts to move between the slaves, cutting the leather thongs from their wrists with a dagger to free their hands, even as his fellows keep the slaves carefully at spear-point. The gnoll pauses when he reaches Lavender and looks to Ugruk - the lead gnoll shakes his head, so the guard leaves her, alone, bound and gagged...


Bahram flinches slightly at the half-elf's words, knowing what would come. No, no, NO! You didn't say that!
As she is brutaly handled by the gnolls he tries to make himself smaller, hounching his shoulders and keeping his face downcast.
His eyes narrow slightly as he realizes the bond between the chief and the harpy but otherwise he makes no move.

Peering through the sudden glare of the sun the sinking feeling in his gut sinks even further as he has absolutley no idea where he is.

As his bonds are cut he hesitantly rubs his wrists and suspicously glances about but says nothing.


Knowledge local 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Bluff 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Yousef listens to the gnoll's barking and yipping, and doesn't flinch. Instead, he stands tall and proud, as if he is in his element.

"He wants us all to dig. If we show enthusiasm, we will be given water. If we do it for a long time we will get food. They are going to free our hands to let us dig, but he says there are a bunch of these dog-faces biotches waitinf for us to try anything. He says that they will hunt us down and eat us alive, starting with our feet. I am to be translating, so I hope that helps my chances at least." Bluff to pass secret messages. "As soon as we can we should get the f!*+ out of here. The big guy here looks like he can take out a couple gnolls by himself and I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

When his bonds are cut, he flexes his fingers and swings his arms around, trying to get circulation in them. He makes a show of not touching his new brand, only looks at it and smiles, his shortened orc tusks only partially prevalent. "I think I like the look of our new marks. I think I'll do the other side when we get out of here."


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Rashid gives the girl a worried look and then hurries over to her. That was not quite what I had intended!, he thinks with a frown.

He quickly kneels down on her thigh, putting pressure on her femoral artery to slow the bleeding. He then begins to unwind his ragged turban, wrapping it around her leg until it staunches the bleeding (I will keep rolling Heal checks until successful).

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Having proven his worth as a healer, Rashid trudges outside with the rest of the worthy slaves, blinking in the sunlight.

Knowledge (history) 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
Knowledge (geography) 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
Knowledge (local) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Rashid gives a slight start, as he realises that he has a rough idea of where he is!

(whispered casually in Common)
"We are in the ruined town of Kelmarane! That tall peak over there is Pale Mountain. If we can escape from this place, I think I might be able to get us to safety."

Rashid nods at Yousef's words, and moves over to the rubble pile, chatting casually as he goes to avoid attention.

"Very well. We should make a show of it at the very least. I agree, we should try to escape as soon as possible; once we have had a chance to recuperate and arm ourselves, however, we should come back and cleanse this place...

"By the way, my name is Rashid, and I am a humble servant of the Dawnflower; who are you, exactly?"


Male Human Barbarian

Saul glares at the gnoll, flexing and attempting to make himself as large and intimidating as possible. When his bond are cut he will continue glaring at the gnoll with a 1000 yard stare trying to get him out of his element.

Saul looks for a weapon of some sort, shovel, stick, something heavy he can preferably swing with two hands.

"Saul ready crush dog-heads... just wait for give sign."

Qadira

While the gnolls don't seem to pay attention to Yousef's suggestion of escape (or, indeed, any of the chatter in the Common tongue), Saul's intimidating presence does seem to put them on edge, causing them to grip their weapons tighter and pay more attention... of course, it's mostly the big barbarian they're paying attention to, so that may not be a bad thing for anyone else who's trying to avoid being noticed...


perception1d20 ⇒ 9
Bahram follows quietly as people make their way to the pil of stone, he is still hesitant and doesn't take his eyes of the guards for any extended period.

They must be insane if they think we can take the guards. Still, if they do then I won't be left behind.
Still rubbing his sore wrists he quietly joins the conversation. "Bahram, Bahram Zarishu is my name. I am, or was, a merchant by trade but I have a taste for the arcane. A dabbler if you will, I can manage some manifestation of power but this trek has left me drained." He pauses for dramatic effect. "I am afraid I will not be of much use in a fight in my current condition. Please, allow me to advice coution. I want out as much as the next man, but I am not suicidal!"


Male Human Barbarian

Saul notices the dog-heads are focusing all of their attention and decides to try and intimidate them a little more. He realizes he is playing a very dangerous game and makes sure not to go too far and set them off.

"Hey dog-head... you want fight? How about you... No, you?" Saul looks from gnoll to gnoll glaring and intimidating them... knowing they can't understand him.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23

Saul hopes to distract them enough for others to devise and execute a plan of escape.


Male Human Barbarian

Saul lets a huge bellowing laugh. "HAHAHAHAHA, Saul think he make dog-heads scared. That good. Dog-heads should be scared. Names Saul..."

Saul then ignores the gnolls and looks around for a weapon. He's not going to pick it up yet. Even he is smart enough to not do that.

Perception: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0

Just not smart enough to find a weapon.


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
will find a club to use. if more than than will make small pile of, maybe 3. otherwise is silent and just watching. locating our gaurds and there numbers. nearest building.


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Lavender tries looking around to find something that might be of some help.
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
But alas she does not notice anything.

Lavender attempts to do her task despite the bindings, and listens in on the conversation of the others. Although her situation is worse off than the others, at least she made it to the right group.

She also keeps an eye on the guards, and looks for any weaknesses or oddities that she might be able to exploit.


ProfPotts wrote:
While the gnolls don't seem to pay attention to Yousef's suggestion of escape (or, indeed, any of the chatter in the Common tongue), Saul's intimidating presence does seem to put them on edge, causing them to grip their weapons tighter and pay more attention... of course, it's mostly the big barbarian they're paying attention to, so that may not be a bad thing for anyone else who's trying to avoid being noticed...

Could you describe a general lay-out of where the guards are and how many, please?

.
Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Yousif looks around for an exit while he digs.

Wow, perceptive bunch aren't we.


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Knowing full-well that there is no way he could out-run the gnolls, Rashid sees two options before him: Sneaking away, or fighting his way out.

To that end, he will keep an eye-out for a possible escape route/bolt hole, or a weapon...

Perception check

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

"Alright. We need to come-up with a plan before we try anything - simply assaulting them piece-meal will simply get us killed.

First off, what resources do we have? From what I understand, Lavendar and Bahram have some familiarity with the arcane arts - do you have any skills that could be used to harm or distract the gnolls?

I have been blessed with the Dawnflower's grace, and I can heal you if you get hurt, although I would be more effective if I had a chance to rest and pray. Despite my scrawny appearance, I also have some skill with weapons, although I will not be as good as Yousef or Saul.

Keldar? What skills can you bring to the table?"

If there is anyone that I have missed, feel free to chime in!

"As to arming ourselves, we have been given the perfect opportunity to 'innocently' accumulate clubs and staves whilst the gnolls are distracted. I think we should keep 'cleaning' until we find enough for everyone.

Before we attack, we should also identify somewhere we can retreat to, in order to hide, once we defeat the guards.

However, before we do so, it would probably be a good idea to wait until Ugruk gets distracted and goes somewhere else; it would probably be easier to take the remaining gnolls with him gone.

What are your thoughts?"

Exactly *how* many guards are there?

Since we are clearing rubble away, I would argue that that is a perfect cover for taking 20 on a Perception/Search check to find enough staves for everyone - It will take a while to clear it all, after all...


"Without rest I can offer no offence, or defence for that matter, I am truly exhousted and my magic comes naturally to me."
Bending, he grunts as he picks up a rock.
"I say wait for our opporunity, they have obviously decided to keep us so lets wait a day. Plan this a little, gain our strength back if we can."
Looking at the group. "Eh? What say you?"


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

[
Keldar? What skills can you bring to the table?"[/b]

[as you can see i am stong and healthy. one on one i can take out a gnoll, with this club. but more import is Torag has let me tap into the fires of his forge. altough its only small bolts for now.


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th
Bahram Zarishu wrote:

"Without rest I can offer no offence, or defence for that matter, I am truly exhousted and my magic comes naturally to me."

Bending, he grunts as he picks up a rock.
"I say wait for our opporunity, they have obviously decided to keep us so lets wait a day. Plan this a little, gain our strength back if we can."
Looking at the group. "Eh? What say you?"

im with him on this, after few days of rest and food we will be better prepaired. also gaurds will be more relaxed, thinking they have beaten us

Qadira

Quote:
Since we are clearing rubble away, I would argue that that is a perfect cover for taking 20 on a Perception/Search check to find enough staves for everyone - It will take a while to clear it all, after all...

Yup - since no-one's played 'have-a-go-hero' yet you do indeed have the time to take 20 (and an excellent idea it is too!)

Quote:
"Hey dog-head... you want fight? How about you... No, you?"

The gnolls appear to bristle at Saul's tone, but Ugruk keeps them from doing anything rash, quietly growling...

In gnoll:

Spoiler:
'Leave him - his type won't be cowed by violence... more like he'll just revel in it... I'm guessing he's destined for a role on the stage in any case, so he won't be our problem for long...'

Quote:
I'm with him on this, after few days of rest and food we will be better prepaired. Also guards will be more relaxed, thinking they have beaten us.

Keldar:

Spoiler:
Even as he speaks, Keldar recalls that the type of rest Bahram is speaking of - a good night's sleep followed by some quiet time in a safe place to gather one's thoughts - was impossible to come by under the lashes of his previous Masters in the Circle tribe. Of course they had a deranged witch willing to torture them if she thought the slaves under their charge were slacking... Maybe this Kulldis tribe, with their nice secure town, will prove more leinient in the long run... maybe...

Quote:
She also keeps an eye on the guards, and looks for any weaknesses or oddities that she might be able to exploit

Lavender:

Spoiler:
Watching the guards Lavender fails to note anything she'd really class as a 'weakness' - although it does seem that without Ugruk they'd be much more inclined to spend their time snoozing in the shade than actually doing much guarding... apart from herself and the big man 'Saul' (both of whom the gnolls seem wary of). The fact they ignore the periodic inhuman cries which echo through the town could be construed as an 'oddity', of course...

It's more than an hour after the group was set to their task - with all now tired, even more filthy, and rapidly approaching dehydration (one poor man has already collapsed from the heat, although the gnolls ignored him, seemingly content to further sort the chaff from the wheat in this cruel test of endurance) - when a lone figure exits the central citadel and walks briskly towards the gnoll guards. The man appears to be a tall, rail-thin, human swathed in black desert-style robes, complete with matching turban and a scarf covering the lower half of his face, leaving just his keenly darting eyes visible. He mutters what appears to be a gnollish greeting to Ugruk, with a polite but brief bow, then strides up to Lavender. Grasping her chin firmly he turns her face this way, then that... then releases her and curses under his breath. Stepping back to the watching Ugruk the man begins to speak in the gnoll tongue (as best as a human mouth can), wildly gesticulating and pointing to Lavender as he does so...

A DC 15 Heal check an save the collapsed man... if he gets some water too...

In gnoll:

Spoiler:
'That one, the girl - I wish to talk to her, Ugruk.'

Ugruk shrugs and replies,

in gnoll:
'Why, is she attractive to you humans?'

The man looks momentarily startled, before answering,

in gnoll:
'No... well... yes, actually... but that's not my point! Do you have any idea who she is?'

Ugruk peers carefully at Lavender, then shrugs again,

in gnoll:
'Should I have?'

The man shakes his head, perhaps in disbelief,

in gnoll:
'That red hair, with those elf-ears and that dark skin... and those eyes... There's only one girl in Katapesh who'd fit that description. Her father's a merchant - a rich one - he deals in magical artifacts... have you any concept of the sort of coin involved in the magic trade? It's on a whole other level! I tell you, Ugruk, she's worth much more as a hostage to be traded than as a simple slave. Please, just let me talk to her...'

Ugruk rubs one paw thoughtfully across his chin, shaking his head slowly as he does so,

in gnoll:
'The Chief told me she's a witch - she's got dangerous magic to command... besides... I think we may have killed her father when we captured her... plump human, silk clothes, those boots with the toes that curl into a point..?'

The human looks shocked, but then holds up his hands to interupt Ugruk,

in gnoll:
'I... Look, I never met the man! I just know of him by reputation - and the girl's desription is unmissable. It won't really matter if he's dead - he's a guild member of high standing, he has... or had... important clients and contacts... Trust me, Ugruk, people will pay to get this one back. As for her magic...'

The man lets slip a rather dismissive chuckle as he glances at Lavender once more, then continues,

in gnoll:
'... I'd seriously doubt she could do more than parlor tricks to entertain her rich, giggling, friends and impress daddy's business associates - she's no threat.'

Ugruk continues to look thoughtful for a few moments more, then shrugs one last time, and watches as the human hurries back over the Lavender and (under the watchful eyes of the gnolls) removes her gag.

'Quick, girl,' he hisses in whispered Common, 'tell me your name... and that of your father.'

Meanwhile...

A DC 15 Perception check reveals:

Spoiler:
Three of your fellow slaves (foreigners from far-off Cheliax by the looks of their sunburnt corpse-pale skin and dark hair) who have been keeping to themselves in their own little group take the opportunity of the distraction caused by the robed-man's visit to huddle together and start to rapidly whisper to each other in whatever bastardized infernal tongue passes for the native language in their land of devil-worshippers...


Male Human Barbarian

Saul takes to clearing rubble, intentionally clearing out the largest of the rocks and debris so the others don't have to work as hard. That and he enjoys the exercise...

Saul says in broken common to the nearest slave. "Dog-heads dumb... don't realize only make Saul stronger by make work. Saul make sure Dog-heads learn lesson hard way."

Saul will take 20 on perception to find a weapon... which gives me an 18... guess all I can find is a club... although he really wanted a two handed weapon. Oh well.


Long houres at his uncles store and warehouse had tough Brahim to look buisy without realy exerting himself. He did his best to stay in the shade and used slow deliberate movements he is quite relived when the big brute starts throwing the stones around, that way he can follow in his wake and clear smaller stones.. Using the time to look at his suroundings and his guards.
Take 20 on perception = 20 to find a stick/club wich he uses as leverage on some stones. Bahram isn't realy doing anything constructive on the dig, do you want a bluff roll for faking working?

Despite his best efforts to stay cool and not exert himself, the sun still takes it's toll on him. When the poor soul collapses from the heat he starts to worry as he is himself thirstier than he can remember ever beeing he looks to Yousef. "Hey, you speak that gods ugly language they use. Do you think you could convince them to water us? We all need it and that guy is going to die if he doesn't get water."

Perception1d20 ⇒ 7


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th

taking 20=27 perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

taking staff size ruble as i find them, i first start with saul and show him how to use it for leverage. if find another than show yousef. leaving staff with them

saul this might help you to do it better, or not,but i think you can find a use for it


Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Yousef moves closer to Rashid as he lifts and moves the stone. "Those Cheliaxybaters are about to try something stupid soon. Maybe get themselves, or more, killed. Whatever they do, we need to get water first, or we might not get any."

When Bahram asks him about water, Yousef replies with disdain. "We will get water when we work with enthusiasm, not just kicking some rocks around. Pick up something big and move it. You might put some meat on those bones." Yousef bends down and lifts up the biggest rock he can find and carries it past one of the gnoll guards and talks to him in gnoll.

[b"]Sir, we need water or we will not be able to continue much longer. Do you want dead slaves?"[/b]

Then overhears the conversation between Ugruk and the man. Hmm. As we passes the others, he nods his head towards Lavender. "That chic is someone important. If we help rescue her we may be rewarded."

Profpott. When you have a conversation in another language, it might be easier to digest if you put it all under one spoiler, then just describe the body language in another paragraph.


Male Human Barbarian

Seeing Yousef speaking to the gnolls, Saul yells over to him. "Hey you! Tell dog-head less he want big rock on ugly head, he give us water."


Yousef chuckles at Sauls words, picks up a melon sized stone, then he turns to one of the gnoll guards.

Gnoll:
"That big guy over there says that he needs some water or he is going to freak out and start dropping rocks on some gnoll ass. If you ask me, I think he's dangerous and that you should put him down now before he hurts somebody. " Bluff 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min
Rashid al-Gahiji wrote:
First off, what resources do we have? From what I understand, Lavendar and Bahram have some familiarity with the arcane arts - do you have any skills that could be used to harm or distract the gnolls?

MmmMmf...Mnnmmm... ... ...sigh

ProfPotts wrote:

Ugruk continues to look thoughtful for a few moments more, then shrugs one last time, and watches as the human hurries back over the Lavender and (under the watchful eyes of the gnolls) removes her gag.

'Quick, girl,' he hisses in whispered Common, 'tell me your name... and that of your father.'

My name is Lavender Leaf, my father is an Ekujae Elf. I have never met him, nor has my mother ever told me his name, but I did inherit his surname, "Leaf"

If it looks like it is possible to speak to Rashid al-Gahiji (or any other player...)

whisper:
I can bend the air to make false sounds, and some minor tricks, make some light. If I wasn't so exhausted I could do more...

Also if it is possible I relate what info that I found out in the above spoiler.

Perception check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
well, it looks like I roll as well here as I do at a normal table top... :P

Qadira

Quote:
"Sir, we need water or we will not be able to continue much longer. Do you want dead slaves?"

The gnoll Yousef addresses glances up from his game of knuckle bones and shrugs, replying,

In gnoll:
'Actually, I'm easy either way... But I like you, funny-man, so I'll let you in on the secret: we're only been assigned enough water to keep about half of you lot alive. We could give it to you all now, in which case we'd end up with nothing but meat, or we can let nature take its course and end up with some meat, some workers. Of course... if you were to whittle down the numbers a little yourself you'd get to the point where there's few enough of you for us to let you drink a lot sooner...'

... the gnoll grins a wicked grin.

Quote:
Yousef chuckles at Sauls words, picks up a melon sized stone, then he turns to one of the gnoll guards.

Whatever Yousef says to the gnoll guard makes him laugh out loud as he replies...

In gnoll:
'Well then, funny-man, I suggest you start whittling...'

Quote:
My name is Lavender Leaf, my father is an Ekujae Elf. I have never met him, nor has my mother ever told me his name, but I did inherit his surname, "Leaf"

The robed man blinks a couple of times in confusion, then shakes his head,

'No, girl!' he snaps, 'I mean your... your mother's husband. Is he not a dealer in magical artifacts?'


Seeing the gnolls wicked laugh at Yousef, Bahram can only assume he's not getting any water soon. Blasted mongrels.

The priest, maybee? Worth a try. More out of desperation than hope he wispers to Keldar. "Hei, Keldar. Does Torag grant you the power to create water?"


Yousef turns away from the gnoll and looks around, taking in the number of prisoners and guards. Then he walks over by a rocky area that looks like it needs to be dug, and happens to be near the Chelaxians.

Perception to see if he is being observed 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Qadira

Quote:
...and happens to be near the Chelaxians.

Two of the Chelaxians appear to be doing their best to look busy whilst keeping an eye on the guards and shielding their companion - a slender man with a drooping handlebar moustache - while he, in turn, is (as quietly as possible) weaving arcane-looking patterns in the air with his fingers and chanting a rhythmic ditty of some kind. He has something small gripped firmly in one hand...

Spellcraft DC 15:

Spoiler:
The moustachioed Chelaxian appears to be casting some form of simple auditory illusion spell Ghost Sound.

Yousef's preparations (and perceptions) mean that he can, if he wishes, act before the Chelaxian finishes doing whatever it is he's doing - but he'll need to be quick about it. If it's relevant then yes, he's holding a rock if he wants to be...


Yousef uses a sharp piece of rock to make a minor slice on his scalp, right where the stubble of his black hair meets his temple. He pulls his fingers away bloody, then bashes his rock against the nearest gnoll.

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
.
(you've got to be kidding me)
.
Bluff 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

He trips over a rock and smashes into the ground in front of the gnoll. He points towards the Chelaxian's screaming in both gnoll and common.

gnoll:
"Those bloody Chelaxatives just f&!@ing threw rocks at us!"

"NOW! NOW! Do it now while they are distracted!" He screams at the Chelaxians, still pointing.


m dwarven page 18 druid 5th
Bahram Zarishu wrote:

Seeing the gnolls wicked laugh at Yousef, Bahram can only assume he's not getting any water soon. Blasted mongrels.

The priest, maybee? Worth a try. More out of desperation than hope he wispers to Keldar. "Hei, Keldar. Does Torag grant you the power to create water?"

of course, what forge would be without its qeulching water? but i cant just cast it here in the open

what is all that noice going on over there? i tell you those half-orcs are going to get us killed quick if they keep this up

Qadira

Quote:
"NOW! NOW! Do it now while they are distracted!"

The gnoll nearest Yousef (the one he tried to bash) spins angrily to face him, but his anger fades to confusion as the half-orc stands there bleeding, pointing, and yelling. The other guards grip their weapons tighter and start to yowl and snarl, moving towards the Chelaxians. Suddenly there's a cacophany of noise from behind the gnolls - the distinct sound of what must be a full dozen men in armour, shouting battle cries and charging from somewhere in the direction of the main citadel! The gnoll guards start to frantically look this way and that, unsure which menace to face...

... but a snapped order from Ugruk brings them sharply to attention,

In gnoll:
'It's a trick, you fools! Watch the slaves!'

... Orders recieved, the gnolls all turn to surround the group of slaves, spears levelled at the ready - ignoring both the sound of rapidly approaching troops (which fail to materialise), and the three Chelaxians scrambling to climb down the hill. Ugruk himself, meanwhile, strides forwards, smoothly grabbing up and flinging a spear in one fluid motion: it sails almost lazily through the desert air after the trio of escapees, before planting itself firmly through the left calf of the rearmost of them. The man screams of goes down, tumbling through the dirt to end up half-way down the steep hill, writhing and screaming in agony. Ugruk sneers, steps to the edge of the drop-off and calmly signals one of his men for a fresh spear...


Yousef screams and dives behind the gnolls as they start thowing spears at the escaping slaves and crab-crawls his way towards Saul and the others. He quickly admits:

"I don't know what those goofballs were up to, but I think we're outmatched physically. One of our guards told me that there is only enough water for half of us, and that they weren't going to give us any until about half of us died of exertion. Those She-laxains were going to try something, and being damned devil-worshippers, I figured they wouldn't be team players and therefore be a good sacrifice to keep the rest of us alive...

Perception: How attentive are they to our group? 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Startled by the sudden noise of armored troups, Bahram looks asround. Armored troops? Here? Rescue maybee!
Knowledge (Arcana) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Seeing the chelaxians run and the gnoll's reactions chrushes that hope. He slowly stands up from where he was crouching over a rock wich he was digging the sand from around, making it easyer to pick up for anyone inclined to do so, and slowly raises his arms.
Eyes darting from gnoll to gnoll, he tenses as he waits for someone to make the first move.

"Water might not be an issue Yousef." He sais quietly, so the man attending Lavender can't hear him (hopefully). "Our good friend Keldar can conjure it. We might want to keep that from the guards though." Smiling reasuringly toward the gnolls as he says it.


hp 35 | AC 12 | T 12 | FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +2 | R +3 | W +3 | Init +8 | Per +8 || LL 8 || Sp ~/8/2 ||| SpC 8min

Spellcraft check:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Quote:
'No, girl!' he snaps, 'I mean your... your mother's husband. Is he not a dealer in magical artifacts?'

Ohh!...ahh... yes, his name is Arthur Ironguard...Sorry!...D-do you know him??

Perception check:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Sense Motive check:1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17

Lavender tries to get a good look at the man, see if she recognizes him, if he has anything on his person of use, and tries to see if she can gauge if this guy is good or bad news...


Bahram Zarishu wrote:

"Water might not be an issue Yousef." He sais quietly, so the man attending Lavender can't hear him (hopefully). "Our good friend Keldar can conjure it. We might want to keep that from the guards though." Smiling reasuringly toward the gnolls as he says it.

"Shh." Yousef grabs the young man by the shoulders with his dirty, scarred, and calloused hands. That's great news. Those noises aren't the cavalry. The Chelaxybums have cast some kind of sound-illusion. Uh, as for the water.... well, the gnoll told me that when the herd is thin enough, they would give us some. If your friend can whip some up, all the better. Hopefully my stunt, and if we lay low right now, will make the guards relax towards us in the future." Yousef then pulls Bahram to the ground next to him, and huddles, as if trying avoid the conflict.


Male Human Barbarian

Saul looks around perplexed by the running, fighting, bleeding, throwing, and sounds of cavalry. He stands holding a large rock before shrugging and continuing moving rocks, shaking his head all the while.


Male Dwarf Cleric 5

Rashid shakes his head at the folly of the Chelaxians.

He sighs, and comments, in-between rocks:

"Water will certainly not be a problem, as I can produce it as well, courtesy of the Dawnflower.

I would caution against trying anything rash, at least while that big brute of a Gnoll (Ugruk) is here; of course, if he went away, we might have a chance...

We would probably be better-off waiting until we have had a night to rest, so that spell-casters can replenish their spells."

After all, only wizards need 8 hours of uninterrupted rest... everyone else just needs 1hr to prepare spells!

1 to 50 of 2,898 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / ProfPotts' Legacy of Fire PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.