Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Pixie Rogue's Adventures in Darkmoon Vale

Game Master Pixie Rogue

A small party, thrown together, adventuring in Darkmoon Vale in the nation of Andoran.


1,851 to 1,900 of 1,900 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>

Male Wolf Wolf 3

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 strength check
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11 bite attack

Perrin scratches and claws at the shell, and then the beast, to no avail.


Male Elf Druid 4

Nox will fire at the commander.

1d20 ⇒ 7 bow attack

Nox's shot at the commanding kobold goes high.


Initiatives restated
21 Kerrdremak
13 Warrior 2 (down 2 hp)
11 Crossbowman (down 22 hp)
11 Slurk #1 (down 11 hp)
11 Slurk #2 (dead)
09 Nox and Perrin
07 Glenna <-- Up next
07 Graymoon (down 11 hp)
04 Gilgar
02 Warrior 1

Glenna flings another spark of lightning at the toad-like creature menacing the wolf.

Mechanics:

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

The tiny mote of magical energy proves to be just enough as the slurk stiffens and collapses into the slime.


The ranger tries to get to his feet once again.

Reflex to stand: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

He tries to move to aid the dwarf with the sniper.

Reflex to move: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

He and Gilgar are now adjacent to the target, who is penned in by enemies and walls. He will have to provoke an AoO to get away from them at this point.


Initiatives restated
21 Kerrdremak
13 Warrior 2 (down 2 hp)
11 Crossbowman (down 22 hp)
11 Slurk #1 (dead)
11 Slurk #2 (dead)
09 Nox and Perrin
07 Glenna
07 Graymoon (down 11 hp)
04 Gilgar <-- Up next
02 Warrior 1


Dwarf Barbarian

Sorry, Mr. DM, but without a visual, I've lost track of everything... Is there a foe, any foe, within Gilgar's striking distance?


I totally understand, sorry I was not more clear. Both of the slurks are dead and only their wrangler remains. He's penned in between Gilgar, Graymoon, and the wall.


Dwarf Barbarian

Well there ya go! A perfect candidate for "rough dissection"!

Gilgar takes a swing at the slurk master, once again from his back.

1-handed MW Adamantine Warhammer Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
MW Adamantine Warhammer 1-handed damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


The similarly-prone kobold, worried about the elf suddenly standing over him with a sword twice his height, doesn't realize the crazy dwarf's plan until it's too late. The massive hammer proves once again that there's nothing it can't crush - including kobold skull.

You hear nothing but the sound of your breathing as you recover from your exertions. Then, you hear a faint squeak from a hall to the west.

In the light of the mage-lit arrow, you see there are three alcoves that would be effective places for ambushers to wait, but all are empty currently. There are three passages that lead away from this slimepit - the one you entered through (east-southeast), due west (where the noise came from), and the one where the kobold made his stand, north-northeast.

Perception checks, if you wish.

Glenna quietly asks, "Are you able to continue? Is everyone OK?"


Dwarf Barbarian

Gilgar slops and scrambles to the West passage... Once out of the slime, he slowly stands up, scraping slime from his boots and grumbling. Without looking back, he says "Ye comin'?"


When the kobold leader (Kerrdremak) sees the dwarf working toward the west entrance, offers, "That way nursery. Should only be nurse and babies."


Dwarf Barbarian

Gilgar, remembering their deal (not to mention having no stomach or inclination to for killing young), stops as soon as the kobold speaks up. He nods once, then says "Where to?"


Brought forward to refresh memories:

Pixie Rogue wrote:

He considers the dwarf for only a moment before continuing, "OK. Mekapa is midwife in hatchery - she might know more, doesn't like king much, either. Before hatchery, go right-claw and down steps, come to tunnel with screamy mushrooms. Past these is den where most of tribe sleeps. Not sure if they will fight or let you pass to king's chambers. After king's throneroom, you find crazy shaman's room. That where children were held."

As he describes the path, Glenna and the bard appear to be ticking off memories and nodding. When the kobold adept is done, the two halflings nod in confirmation, making sure he doesn't see so as to avoid offending him.


Kerrdremak and the two warrior kobolds slowly make their way through the slime to the northern tunnel. He points. "Screamy mushrooms this way, and tribe sleeproom."


Dwarf Barbarian

North it is!


Glenna picks up the dead wrangler's crossbow, "This looks nice, doesn't it?." Casting a quick spell, her mouth forms an O. "Can I keep this?" Without waiting for a response, she starts gathering up the bolts he'd dropped, but she only finds five.

One of the kobold warriors picks up the handaxe, looks at it with some envy, but offers it to the shaman. His offer is met with a sharp command, but the warrior smiles and turns to lead the party down the tunnel, new handaxe in hand. The kobolds take the lead, moving furtively - but that seems to be how they generally move.

The path north descends quickly down a series of natural terraces to another intersection. Tunnels lead left, right, or straight ahead. The shaman points to the right. "Only dark death that way." To the left, "Screamy mushrooms too noisy." Ahead, "Tribe nest. On way to king." The tunnel before you is straight and cramped, but tall enough for the party to walk without stooping. Gilgar can see that after a short distance, it opens up into a larger chamber.

The warriors look at Kerrdremak and the dwarf, waiting for a signal or, even better, a plan.


Male Elf Druid 4

Perhaps a stealthy member of the party can move closer to perform some Reconnaissance


The room ahead is very dimly lit, if that decides who takes a peek.


Dwarf Barbarian

If someone wants to scout, Gilgar don't care...


As the others pause and look back and forth, Graymoon holds up a hand. "Let me take a look. If I shout, I'm bringing company back with me."

He turns to Glenna and hands her his bow and quiver. "Ma'am, if you would be so kind as to hold onto these for a moment, I would appreciate it."


Map and Graymoon's description forthcoming, but, in general, you are at a four-way intersection with the elf sneaking up the north passage. Any preparations you wish to make as he sneaks forward? Readied actions to cast a buff spell, take up an ambush position, something else?

Glenna moves Graymoon's weaponry back down the path the party used to enter the intersection, loads the slurk wrangler's crossbow, and crouches down to wait.


Trying a new map method

Glenna has taken up a position on the left side of the southern passage near the terraces.

If I get this figured out, you will be able to move your icons once I have them added.


DM Screen:

Graymoon stealth with FE: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Did they hear him?: 14d20 ⇒ (20, 6, 19, 3, 4, 14, 11, 5, 3, 16, 10, 11, 13, 11) = 146

The elf draws his sword and sneaks down the passage.


Dwarf Barbarian

Need permission for the map. Have requested it.


Gah! I thought it was visible by default! Try again, please.


Male Elf Druid 4

Works


Dwarf Barbarian

Put Gilgar at the bottom of the "steps", please.


Thanks for the prod, Gilgar. I will make some assumptions and apply make the map, probably on my return.


OK, I made some changes. Let me know if 1) you can see the changes I made and 2) if you can select and move your avatar.


*bump*


Dwarf Barbarian

Can see changes. Can select avatar. Cannot move avatar.


OK, we will go with that.


OK, this is ridiculous. Overthinking things, then putting them off because I didn't like what I came up with. There's an easy way to fix that - roll for initiative and see what the dice decide!

Graymoon sneaks down the passage quietly, but not quietly enough. Every scuff of his boot sounds like thunder to those waiting, but maybe the kobolds didn't hear...

Those hopes are dashed as the elf peers around the corner. A pair of javelins and a battle cry are hurled his way and suddenly the howl of several voices is evident.

Roll for initiative. Further simplification - we will move to a "you go, they go" model. It's easier to show you than explain.

Glenna initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Kerrdremak initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Allied Warriors initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


Enemy Warriors: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Enemy Commandos: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15


Dwarf Barbarian

Map link, please.


This should still be correct

Only Graymoon can see the assembled mob of kobolds currently.


Dwarf Barbarian

Thanks!


Initiatives
23 Kerrdremak
20 Allied Warriors
17 Glenna
15 Enemy Commandos
14 Graymoon
04 Enemy Warriors
?? Gilgar
?? Nox


Surprise Round
Failing to sneak up on the kobolds, Graymoon narrowly dodges a pair of javelins hurled at him as he tries to peek into the room where the tribe waits.

First Round
The allied kobolds quickly react to the attack, rushing up to flank the elf, shouting in Draconic.

Draconic:
"Do not attack! They do not come to kill the tribe, they come only for the children! Let them kill the usurper and go on their way!"

The halfling sorceress moves forward to get an angle on anyone attacking the crazy kobolds or the crazy elf, loaded crossbow under one arm and her other hand held in an odd way, ready to fling her lightning.

Graymoon, realizing what the kobold holy man is trying to do, puts his hands up and backs away, down the tunnel toward where Nox and Gilgar are waiting.

We collectively won initiative regardless of what you guys roll, so we are taking our turn. Do you have any actions to take?


Dwarf Barbarian

Sorry. I was confused by the "you go, they go" stuff, and thought you only wanted one initiative for the party. Here you go, Mr. DM.

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Dwarf Barbarian

Gilgar looks expectantly at Graymoon, hoping for the "kill 'em all" sign. He's begun shifting his weight from one foot to the other repeatedly.


Whispered, "Kerrdremak is trying to talk 'em down and let us pass. It's his show - he wants to save his tribe from the chief and we are the tools to do it." With a grim smile, "I can live with that."


Dwarf Barbarian

Looking more than a little disappointed, Gilgar deflates a bit, and nods once.


Nox delays, Perrin at his side.

The waiting tribesmen push forward. I need to do some rolling to determine the outcome of the surge. More later.


Commands in Draconic are shouted and the sound of clawed feet moving comes to the party, who really cannot see into the room.

DM Screen:

Kerrdremak's speech: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Warrior's aid: 1d20 ⇒ 17
Warrior's aid: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Commando's counter: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
Commando's counter: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15

This is a unexpected turn of events. I should have let the dice decide weeks ago!

The party can hear a fight break out in the other room, but the allied kobolds hold their ground in the entrance - they don't appear to be part of the scrum.

After a very long minute or two, the sounds of the fight fade to muffled complaints and struggles. Kerrdremak turns to you, a wide smile on his face, and waves you forward.

You see the two kobolds like the fighter that you rescued the little bard from when you found the girl, each at the bottom of a pile of kobold warriors and struggling to get free.

Kerrdremak says (and Graymoon translates for non-Draconic speakers), "My people know king bad. You defeat king, we be healthy tribe again." He points at the two pinned kobolds. "They get choice after king dead. You go - king and crazy shaman that way."


Dwarf Barbarian

Hooting and laughing at the sight, Gilgar gives thumbs up and nods of approval to the victors, followed by a maniacal smile to the two at the bottom of the pile. He turns and heads off to kill himself a bad king and shaman...


A new map is forthcoming, but picture the existing map with an exit to the left into a larger room empty of foes (just females and children, all staying well back from the party as they pass) and a exit into a hallway beyond.

Any particular plans or precautions as you move forward? The little kobold cleric and his warriors seem to be planning on remaining with the rest of the tribe at this point - is that a problem with anyone?


With a wry smile, the elf asks, "Last time went so well, do you want me to sneak in ahead again?"


Dwarf Barbarian

Gilgar gives the ol' grunt'n'shrug, but steps aside for Graymoon to pass.

1,851 to 1,900 of 1,900 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Pixie Rogue's Adventures in Darkmoon Vale All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.