Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pixie Rogue's Adventures in Darkmoon Vale

Game Master Pixie Rogue

A small party, thrown together, adventuring in Darkmoon Vale in the nation of Andoran.



Well, it appears the time has come to dip my toe in the waters of running a play-by-post on the boards here. We will be continuing a play-by-post experiment that has had a couple of different homes that have been abandoned for different reasons.

To any lurkers:

Because the game is already in progress with a group that knows each other, I'm not planning to open invitations to the game at this time. If we experience some attrition, I might consider it at a later date. If you have advice or suggestions for our players (this is their first game on these forums, but far from their first game), you are welcome to post here. Naturally, we'd rather keep the posts on the game thread to those playing in the game as much as possible.

To the players:

We will be picking up where we left off, but there have been a lot of very cool things become available during our hiatus. If you wish to modify your character in some fashion using the new rules available in the Advanced Player's Guide or just wish to try something difference in the Core Rulebook, have at it. If you have something you want to try from a third-party source, run it past me first. I'll probably say yes, but want an opportunity to look at it ahead of time.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss things that don't belong in the game thread. Once everyone is ready (alias built, character sheet filled out, etc.), I'll start a game thread. In the meantime, welcome to the new home of our poor, neglected game!


M Brownin (Half Pale Skin/Half Dark Skin) Healer 8/Merchant 3

Hey congrats on launching your first PbP Pixie Rogue! As I'm already very familiar with your stellar playing style, I'll definitely be a lurker wacthing you take the helm for a change.

Best of luck to you all. My only piece of advice for you PbP new comers is to enjoy what I'm sure will be a great game. Oh, well and this, do take advantage of the RSS feeds, as they are an easy, convinient way to keep up to date on new posts in your game.

(And hey, if you are collecting a list of names for back-up players, please consider my name on it)


Khaladon wrote:

Hey congrats on launching your first PbP Pixie Rogue! As I'm already very familiar with your stellar playing style, I'll definitely be a lurker wacthing you take the helm for a change.

Best of luck to you all. My only piece of advice for you PbP new comers is to enjoy what I'm sure will be a great game. Oh, well and this, do take advantage of the RSS feeds, as they are an easy, convinient way to keep up to date on new posts in your game.

(And hey, if you are collecting a list of names for back-up players, please consider my name on it)

You are too kind, but ....

Check. Adding Khaladon to interested players.

But you've got to let me get my feet under me first, lad!


Pixie Rogue wrote:


To the players:

We will be picking up where we left off, but there have been a lot of very cool things become available during our hiatus. If you wish to modify your character in some fashion using the new rules available in the Advanced Player's Guide or just wish to try something difference in the Core Rulebook, have at it. If you have something you want to try from a third-party source, run it past me first. I'll probably say yes, but want an opportunity to look at it ahead of time.

Alright. I have a few things to cover in the post.

1) This being my first post on the boards, I am still getting a handle on everything. found the BBCode tags that can be used, and I am excited about what is available. Alas, you will have to make sure to post the link the the thread that used for the game, or you can send it to me.

2) I think I remember which game this is, but I don't remember my character. I think this was my Illusionist, but I don't remember his name. If you have his name, I am sure I have him save on my computer.

3) We are still at 1st level right? If a different character was made, or if I need to rework him, I just need to know the level.

4) Once I get that info, I can create the alias, and get him ready to go. This is exciting, and should be good. Thanks Pix.


Jumps up and down, clapping.

Yay! You found me!

1) I will post a link to the game thread here once it's up and running. I'm not in a hurry, half the fun is discussing what's coming.

2) It is indeed the illusionist, Laucian. I may have his stats here.

3) I'm almost 100% that we've moved to second level, but I will have to confirm. It should have been well before the hiatus, so you're probably done leveling up -- but you are welcome to re-train him if you would rather he have a different feat or something like that. Or if there's a different option in the APG that interests you. I'm not too worried about continuity in a game that's all start-stop-wait-start again like this one.

4) Pix. I like that! And you're welcome!


Ooo-Teeney!!! 0oo-Teeney!!!


Yay!! That's two!

Oh, the anticipation is killing me!!


Male Elf Rogue

What's an Ooo-teeney?


Oh, and three!!


Malum wrote:
What's an Ooo-teeney?

Apparently something Jawas say in greeting.


Right, then.

I see that Laucian has the basics of his character sheet, but I'd like to see more in case I choose to secret checks or NPC your character.

I have a number of character profiles on the boards, and probably no two of them are identical, but there are some common themes.

Below are some links - specifically, I would like to see the Offense and Defense sections near the top as those are the information needed most often, by you or yours truly. I'm partial to how I do skills and spells, but I realize all too well that it is time-consuming, so I won't ask for that kind of detail -- but the minimal information would be much appreciated.

Gil, Changeling Beguiler Recaster
Rhasadilara Goldenbough (aka Rhasa), Elven Ranger (Guide)
Livvy Goldenscale, Halfling Sorcerer (Brass Dragon)

Post your questions! Let's get this rescue back on the road!


Male Elf Druid 4

Test post with alternate alias.


Male Elf Druid 4

My character info has been posted (version 0).


Male Elf Druid 4
SOFreyr wrote:
Pixie Rogue wrote:


To the players:

We will be picking up where we left off, but there have been a lot of very cool things become available during our hiatus. If you wish to modify your character in some fashion using the new rules available in the Advanced Player's Guide or just wish to try something difference in the Core Rulebook, have at it. If you have something you want to try from a third-party source, run it past me first. I'll probably say yes, but want an opportunity to look at it ahead of time.

Alright. I have a few things to cover in the post.

1) This being my first post on the boards, I am still getting a handle on everything. found the BBCode tags that can be used, and I am excited about what is available. Alas, you will have to make sure to post the link the the thread that used for the game, or you can send it to me.

2) I think I remember which game this is, but I don't remember my character. I think this was my Illusionist, but I don't remember his name. If you have his name, I am sure I have him save on my computer.

3) We are still at 1st level right? If a different character was made, or if I need to rework him, I just need to know the level.

4) Once I get that info, I can create the alias, and get him ready to go. This is exciting, and should be good. Thanks Pix.

The string is still alive on Yahoo. If you are still looking for info on your character, I can forward it.


Male Wolf Wolf 3

Grrrr


Female Elf Druid 2

Druid Healer reporting for duty.


Perrin La'Athvanna wrote:
Grrrr

Nice puppy, nice puppy... it's only a game!


Angelius Lightbringer wrote:
Druid Healer reporting for duty.

We don't have any druids needing to be healed (yet!) - are you sure this is the thread you were looking for? ;-)

We await a couple of other invitees and I will need to see your character build in the profile, good Lightbringer. I linked to some above for examples of how I like to see them laid out -- you don't have to be as crazy as I am with the details, but detail is appreciated nonetheless.


Pixie Rogue wrote:
I linked to some above for examples of how I like to see them laid out -- you don't have to be as crazy as I am with the details, but detail is appreciated nonetheless.

I am still working on getting mine transferred over. I will be sure to let you know once I got it all up on the profile.


SOFreyr wrote:
Pixie Rogue wrote:
I linked to some above for examples of how I like to see them laid out -- you don't have to be as crazy as I am with the details, but detail is appreciated nonetheless.
I am still working on getting mine transferred over. I will be sure to let you know once I got it all up on the profile.

It's all cool. I just noticed that Angelius was rather spare on character information, so I wanted to re-state the request.


Female Elf Druid 2

Info entered but not formated.


Angelius Lightbringer wrote:
Info entered but not formated.

Don't post here any further - I want to discuss something with you off-list before we go too far and we can't change it. I may have misled you. Check our discussion boards, I'll explain there.


Laucian, glancing at your profile. I don't know if you are done or not, but here are some observations.

It would helpful if you could include your prepared spells for the day. Someone suggested on another thread that the currently-prepared spells be listed and as they are used, change them to italics so it's easy to see what's still available. These games go too slowly to assume we'll remember what's been cast during the game day.

Also, for the same reason, please include somewhere your daily abilities, how many you get in a day and how many have been used.

Last thing (for now, at least), I don't see any gear. I'm pretty sure he's not wandering through the forest naked. ;-)


Sylvanis, I believe you indicated to me that you were working on your gear.

Other than that, nothing's leaping out at me as missing at this point.

However, you might consider building a second alias for your animal companion. It's your call, but I've seen a lot of people do that with their companions -- Nox has Perrin on a second alias, for example.

Just a thought, feel free to disregard if it does not appeal to you.


Nox, the only thing I notice on your profile is your "Feats and Features" only includes your weapon proficiencies -- armor proficiencies probably belong in the same place -- I thought there might be other class or racial abilities you meant to include...


Gilgar, I don't see your profile yet. If you have questions, let me know.


Male Elf Wizard (Illusionist) (3)
Pixie Rogue wrote:
Laucian, glancing at your profile. I don't know if you are done or not...

That is correct. I haven't finished yet. I hadn't thought of how to handle prepared spells, but that sounds like a good idea. I will do that when I get to them.

I will also work out a system for daily use abilities and the like. Something easy to track.

And finally, yes I have gear. I don't believe I am running around naked :-P. Please refer back to my first response.


Laucian Galanodel wrote:
And finally, yes I have gear. I don't believe I am running around naked :-P. Please refer back to my first response.

Whew, that's a relief. It's all good - a week is a long time to wait for an update for a pixie, you'll have to forgive me if I'm impatient.


Male Elf Rogue
Pixie Rogue wrote:

Nox, the only thing I notice on your profile is your "Feats and Features" only includes your weapon proficiencies -- armor proficiencies probably belong in the same place -- I thought there might be other class or racial abilities you meant to include...

Thanks, I have added my Skills and Traits


Dwarf Barbarian
Pixie Rogue wrote:
Gilgar, I don't see your profile yet. If you have questions, let me know.

Geez!!! Don't get pushy! lol


Gilgar wrote:
Pixie Rogue wrote:
Gilgar, I don't see your profile yet. If you have questions, let me know.
Geez!!! Don't get pushy! lol

Who me, pushy? Pshaw!!!

But since you mentioned it, "Areyoudoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyet?"


Dwarf Barbarian
Pixie Rogue wrote:

Who me, pushy? Pshaw!!!

But since you mentioned it, "Areyoudoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyet?"

BLARGH!!!!!!... I mean, uh, yeah... It's done. Give it a look, and keep your editing comments to yourself. :)


Male Elf Wizard (Illusionist) (3)
Pixie Rogue wrote:
Whew, that's a relief. It's all good - a week is a long time to wait for an update for a pixie, you'll have to forgive me if I'm impatient.

Alright! I think I have the bulk of it in and ready to go. Look it over and let me know if I am missing something. I could of overlooked something with my jumping around. Just let me know.


Gilgar:

Spoiler:
Looking through the character sheet, I think there was some miscommunication. He appears to be a 3rd-level character rather than a 2nd-level. Sorry if I misled you.

Base attack bonus for a second-level barbarian should be +2, not +3

Attack bonus for the Waraxe (both ways of wielding) should be +5 (due to BAB correction)

In the Offense spoiler, what is your CMB bonus? Since your racial traits affect certain CMB rolls, go ahead and note which ones, please.

Maximum number of ranks you can purchase for a skill is two. Again, this appears to be a 3rd-level vs 2nd-level issue.

What did you take for your favored class bonus? (I'm assuming that barbarian is your favored class, of course.) It appears that you have the standard skill point vs hit point choice or you can use an alternative from the APG.

Armor class. +4 from Chain Shirt, +2 from Dex, so AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, right? Am I missing an effect that keeps your flat-footed armor class at 16?


Sylvanis:

Spoiler:
Here's how you find yourself in Darkmoon Vale:

Sylvanis' training took place in the Verduran Forest, near the frontier town of Bellis, located on the eastern border of Andoran. For the past couple of years, the Circle of the Verduran Forest has given her the responsibility of monitoring and caring along the Sellen River.

However, the Circle has lost contact with the elderly Druid of Darkmoon Vale. The rumor is that he had a son that would step in when the time came, but no one has heard from the son for several years. They've tasked you with watching over the Vale until the Druid La'Athvanna - either of them - returns.

On your trip from the Verduran Forest, you traveled west to the headwaters of the Andoshen River near Mount Kia. Your plan was to take one of the ancient trails along the foothills of the Five Kings Mountains southwest to the forest of Darkmoon Vale.

More to come, feel free to shoot me any questions you have...


Gilgar:

Spoiler:
Questions for the setup:

Scenario - you are traveling down the trail on your own and one of the following occurs - what do you do in each case? (General, no detail necessary -- I'll take one of your answers and write something up from it.)

You find yourself facing four orcs, as surprised as you are.

You are ambushed by a pair of orcs.

You hear shouts in orc and when you investigate, you find orcs attacking a lone elf.


Sylvanis:

Spoiler:
Looking at your character sheet, I don't see any gear yet or any offensive/defensive stats. That might make the following harder to answer, but I'll post them for when you get around to it:

Scenario - you are traveling down the trail on your own and one of the following occurs - what do you do in each case? (General, no detail necessary -- I'll take one of your answers and write something up from it.)

You find yourself facing two orcs on the trail, as surprised as you are.

You are ambushed by a pair of orcs.

You hear shouts in orc and when you investigate, you find orcs attacking a lone dwarf.


Dwarf Barbarian

I made the necessary changes. The flat-footed AC element you were missing comes from the ever-popular feat "PCGen has a bug in it". For the sake of continuity, I have removed that bonus feat from my character. I'm holding out for "Inexplicably improved critical" instead. Pending DM approval, of course.


Dwarf Barbarian
Pixie Rogue wrote:

Gilgar:

Questions for the setup:

Scenario - you are traveling down the trail on your own and one of the following occurs - what do you do in each case? (General, no detail necessary -- I'll take one of your answers and write something up from it.)

You find yourself facing four orcs, as surprised as you are.

Slaughter them mercilessly and with much glee stomp their guts to mush.

Pixie Rogue wrote:


You are ambushed by a pair of orcs.

Slaughter them mercilessly and with much glee stomp their guts to mush.

Pixie Rogue wrote:


You hear shouts in orc and when you investigate, you find orcs attacking a lone elf.

Cordially invite the Orcs to die horrifically painful deaths, then proceed to impose such upon them no matter how they answer the invitation.


Male Elf Rogue
Gilgar wrote:
Pixie Rogue wrote:

Gilgar:

Questions for the setup:

Scenario - you are traveling down the trail on your own and one of the following occurs - what do you do in each case? (General, no detail necessary -- I'll take one of your answers and write something up from it.)

You find yourself facing four orcs, as surprised as you are.

Slaughter them mercilessly and with much glee stomp their guts to mush.

Pixie Rogue wrote:


You are ambushed by a pair of orcs.

Slaughter them mercilessly and with much glee stomp their guts to mush.

Pixie Rogue wrote:


You hear shouts in orc and when you investigate, you find orcs attacking a lone elf.
Cordially invite the Orcs to die horrifically painful deaths, then proceed to impose such upon them no matter how they answer the invitation.

WIN!!!


Female Elf Druid (2)

She doesn't have much based on level and profession, but it should all be in the C Sheet now.

Pixie Rogue wrote:
You find yourself facing two orcs on the trail, as surprised as you are.

Answer 1:
Walk around at a decent distance with both myself and companion keeping an eye on them.
Pixie Rogue wrote:
You are ambushed by a pair of orcs.

Answer 2:
Companion draws attention with growls while I Summon Nature's Ally. Hopefully we dispatch them without actual conflict once they are outnumbered. If we must we defend and try to flank.
Pixie Rogue wrote:
You hear shouts in orc and when you investigate, you find orcs attacking a lone dwarf.

Answer 3:
Summon Nature's Ally from one side, companion comes in from side two, I perform heal checks on all three members of the brawl and come in from side three. Try to break up conflict with out any infliction of pain on my part. Gather information on the reason for the brawl as much as possible. Talk first if at all possible, attack second.

Expert 3/Slacker 4/Layabout 2

Hey, welcome to the boards, players.

Pixie Rogue, nice to see you setting up shop here. I've enjoyed playing with you and look forward to seeing how you run a game. I'll lurk the game from time to time.

therealthom (Shimei)


therealthom wrote:

Hey, welcome to the boards, players.

Pixie Rogue, nice to see you setting up shop here. I've enjoyed playing with you and look forward to seeing how you run a game. I'll lurk the game from time to time.

therealthom (Shimei)

Thanks, therealthom. I hope my efforts are worthy of the attention. Enjoy!


therealthom wrote:

Hey, welcome to the boards, players.

Pixie Rogue, nice to see you setting up shop here. I've enjoyed playing with you and look forward to seeing how you run a game. I'll lurk the game from time to time.

therealthom (Shimei)

Thanks very much, therealthom. Glad to be here.


OK, a technique that I have seen used here to great effect is using the spoilers to separate out what characters know and don't know. For example, we have a situation where two of the characters are experiencing one thing (their introduction to the game) and the other two will be experiencing another (the departure of the NPCs from the old game). The characters seeing the introduction won't know about the departure scene, the departure-scene folks won't know about the departure. There's no reason why they cannot share what they see later when they meet, but in the meantime, I will spoiler the scenes. Your character will only know what is in his/her spoiler.

(You can open both spoilers, if you wish - not like I can stop you - but I prefer to maintain the mystery in the games I'm in, so I generally do not peek at the other spoilers.)

This technique might also be used for skill rolls. I might put a Perception DC followed by a spoiler. You have the right to open the spoiler if you made the roll. If you didn't, you shouldn't -- because your character didn't see/hear/smell whatever's in the spoiler.

If you are participating in a spoilered scene, please spoiler your responses for the same reason. To spoiler something, insert it between spoiler tags: [ spoiler ] your spoilered text here [/ spoiler]

Of course, your spoiler tags won't have any spaces in the tag itself -- I did that to illustrate what the tag should look like. Below the edit window when you create a post is a spoiler "BBCode tags you can use:" that has the tags if you need a refresher.

I'll have some time this weekend to push things forward. This has been a rough week for much of anything not work-related.


*bump*

I'm hoping to start the game thread tonight...


Oh, look! A link to the game thread!


Sylvanis:

We need to determine the totals for Winter's stats and record them somewhere. I can put them under my profile since as an NPC, or you can put on your profile, or on a separate one for Winter, as Malum has done for Nox' companion. Below you can see what I figured for him, but I'm sure the numbers require some addition attention - I did this rather quickly.

Note: I put the default hit points for him because I didn't see any anywhere, but you are welcome to roll for him, same rules as normal for a character -- roll twice, the first one on a die can be rerolled once, use the best roll.

Note that as an animal with Int 2, Winter is eligible for up to six tricks. His status as an animal companion grants him a bonus trick in addition to that. You are welcome to "train" him in additional tricks.

The notes in your profile indicate Intimidate and Stealth are his skills -- you have three skill points to assign and may put up to three points in any one skill - which skill do you want to put the extra skill point in? Note that Stealth is a class skill for him, so a single point spent there would give him a bonus of +7 (+1 [rank]+3 [class]+3 [ability]) while Intimidate is not a class skill, so two points spent there will give him a bonus of +2 (+2 [rank]+0 [ability]). It might be more profitable to put the third rank into another class skill.

Winter:

Winter
Medium Animal
Perception +2
Initiative +7

AC 14 = +1 [natural]+3 [dexterity]
hp 20 (3d8+3)
Saves F4 R6 W3

BAB +2
Speed 40'
Bite +3 (1d6+1),
2 claws +3 (1d4+1)
CMB +5, CMD 16

Str 13, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10

SA rake +3 (1d4+1)
SQ low-light vision, scent
Feats Agile Maneuvers, Improved Initiative


Pulling off archive shelf, dusting it off.

Sheesh, gets harder to find these everytime...


I like to keep this out where I can see it...

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / Pixie Rogue's Darkmoon Vale adventures All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.