Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Pirate 5-06 Have What you Hold PbP GD VI

Game Master Pirate Rob

As an act of retribution, an enemy of the society begins hiring river pirates to waylay Pathfinder boats bound for the crusader nation of Mendev. Unless the Pathfinders can track down the party responsible and put an end to their piracy, the raids may spell the doom of the society’s ambitions to the north.

Maps


1 to 50 of 420 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

You're welcome to leave a dot.

Silver Crusade

Female Human Fighter 5 [ HP 8/45 (0 NL) | AC 19 Tch 14 FF 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +3* | CMD 22* | Init +3 Perc +4 | Effects: bless, inspire courage ]

Dot!

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

.

Grand Lodge

Sylph Ranger 4 | AC 19-T13-FF14 (21 vs ranged) | HP 32/32 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Per +9, darkvision; Init +4

dot? Ah, good, dot.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Undine Bard (Watersinger) 3 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 18 (13 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 (dark 60ft), SM: +9 | Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft. | Bardic Performance: 8/14 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: None.

dot

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

Looks like we start soon, so time to get in character!

A slender half-elf wearing simple vagabond's clothing rummages through his rucksack for a snack as he waits to meet his new compatriots.

"So... I wonder what we're going to be up to this time. Last time I ended up on a boat full of pirates and undead..."

Unable to find any remaining food in his pack he settles for his flask. "Here's to a change of pace..."

He takes a swig and a chirping sound comes from a battered pewter mug hanging from his belt.

Liberty's Edge

Female Thrush Figment | HP 6/6, | AC 16 (20 Mage Armor), T 16, FF 14 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +5 | CMD 3 | Perc +13 (+21 Skilled) | Init +2

*Chirp chirp* Pirates again! *Chirp chirp* Read the note, master!

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

"Seriously? Again? I SPECIFICALLY said NO more boats, NO more trips to Kaer Maga, and NO more calling me 'master' you twit!"

He stands there, fuming, and looks down at the mug on his belt. "Anyways... I left the missive at a bar somewhere... Some venture commander person whatever the hell they call themselves had the bright idea to sign me up for this while I was three drinks past gone. Couldn't make heads or tails of it but it said Mendev... Figured if it didn't say Kaer Maga or the Shackles I was probably safe."

He rubs his temples and shakes his head. "I'll bet you think this is funny don't you Hariwini..."


Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

Amusingly enough you are summoned to Tymon, a city-state in the River Kingdoms renowned for its tradition of arena combat.

In between Razmiran and Daggermark on the western edge of the River Kingdoms

---

For a city founded upon bloody combat traditions, Tymon is surprisingly docile. Weapons are invariably peace-bonded, there is a lack of muscle-flexing machismo in the streets—even public disputes are scarcer than in comparably large settlements.

The Rule of law here is strong, perhaps, or else violent urges are simply sated vicariously through the famed Arena of Aroden.

Whatever the cause, little impedes the swift journey to Smine’s Weaponworks, locally famous as a place of business but secretly also a Pathfinder lodge.

The sound of ringing steel and the withering heat of the forge through an open sliding door identify the stone structure as readily as its well painted but soot-stained sign. Several apprentices work blades in various stages of completion, and at the largest work area toils a smiling dwarf: famed weaponsmith and venture-captain Holgarin Smine.

He glances up under singed eyebrows, never missing a beat as he says,

“Ah. It’s you. A moment.”

After putting some final touches on a spearhead, quenching it in water, and nodding approvingly after a brief appraisal, he unties his apron and opens the door into the adjoining building.

WiWithin a few minutes, Smine has set out refreshments such as bread and cheese in a much cooler kitchen.

Smine then speaks “Forgive me for not asking about your journey. Love the details, but those can wait. Tell me who Mr. Valsin has sent my way first?"

Please take a moment to introduce yourselves, I likely won't be able to continue until quite late tonight or possibly not until the morning.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

Searlas looks at the spread and quickly begins to eat. He holds a drinking cup in one hand, bread and cheese in the other, and continues to bring more food over to himself with a conjured hand of force.

Using mage hand to grab food. Searlas has recently kicked a hangover and is ravenous.

After a few bites, the half-elf finally introduces himself. "Searlas Savy, at your service. And this pain in the -" A very loud chirp drowns out the next word. "- in the mug here is my ~faithful companion~ Hariwini."

There is enough sarcasm in that last statement to fill a keg.

"Don't listen to him... he'll just say I'm a coward with a short fuse, and that's most certainly not what you want to hear about someone assigned to your job."

Liberty's Edge

Female Thrush Figment | HP 6/6, | AC 16 (20 Mage Armor), T 16, FF 14 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +5 | CMD 3 | Perc +13 (+21 Skilled) | Init +2

A strange somewhat mal-proportioned thrush climbs out of the mug on the pathfinder's belt, perches on it, then leaps up to fly a lazy circle around the room before landing on Searlas's shoulder. "Master drank too much last night."

The bird has very strange looking talons that articulate in more places than a bird's claw should...

My familiar has the Figment archetype and has the evolution Skilled to grant a +8 racial bonus to Disable Device.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Undine Bard (Watersinger) 3 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 18 (13 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 (dark 60ft), SM: +9 | Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft. | Bardic Performance: 8/14 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: None.

A small, wiry Undine man hops forward, hand outstretched. "Ah, it's a pleasure to meet you, sir, a pleasure! My name's Daffy, and music's my game! Me and Gurtie here", he says, patting his beautifully-made but well-worn Hurdy-Gurdy, "have played all over Osirion, from the docks of Sothis to valley of Tar Kuata and back again. Most of Absalom too, since joining the Society. Tell me," he asks, turning to include his fellows in addition to the Venture-Captain, "what kinda music do you folks like?" Not waiting for an answer, he begins to play a tune. As he plays, a small tendril of water rises out of the quench bucket and begins to dance along with the rhythm of the music.

Grand Lodge

Sylph Ranger 4 | AC 19-T13-FF14 (21 vs ranged) | HP 32/32 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Per +9, darkvision; Init +4

Did the Pathfinders arrive by boat? Zephyr really wanted to arrive by boat. Regardless of her method of arrival, she strides into the Weaponworks like a woman out of a theatrical play set in the Shackles: she has on knee high leather boots folded over at the top in nautical style, leather breeches, a captain's elaborate greatcoat in rich purple velvet (under which the gleam of a mithral chain shirt can just be seen) with lace peeking out at the cuffs, an eyepatch, and an enormous captain's hat with a feather. It all sets off her powder-blue skin and white hair in striking, if garish, fashion.

"AHOY, MATES," she grins as she saunters in and leans against the wall of the room Smine has led them into. "How's tricks? Daffy, I'll take a sea shanty if ya've got one, an' I'm guessin' you do by the wet look of ya, ha! Name's Zephyr. Good to have music along, yah? Yah!"

Zephyr grabs an apple from the spread and starts peeling and eating it with a knife. "Ey, Savvy- what's wrong with ya bird, there? Looks creepy, no 'ffense."

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

"You think it looks creepy? I swear that little -" *CHIRP* "- knows exactly what I'm thinking and what I'm about to say. He's gotten blown up at least twice and STILL comes back to give me a hard time. He IS creepy."

He shakes his head, then looks over at Daffy. "Know any good drinking songs?"

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Undine Bard (Watersinger) 3 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 18 (13 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 (dark 60ft), SM: +9 | Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft. | Bardic Performance: 8/14 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: None.

"A shanty? A drinking song? Why, those go together Corentyn tariff collector and a silver handshake! Why, you oughta hear some o' the songs we'd sing down on the docks in Sothis. Enough to make a Venture-Captain blush (and I should know. You oughta seen ol' Valsin turn red when I got to verse about cattle)! Anywho, how 'bout an old classic. Try this one on for size." With a flourish, he gives instrument a crank and launches in:

Weeeeeeellllll it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog
All for me beer and tobacco
Well I spent all me tin on the lassies drinking gin
Across the western ocean I must wander

Where are me boots, me noggin, noggin boots
they're all gone for beer and tobacco
For the heels they are worn out and the toes are kicked about
And the soles are looking for better weather

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog
All for me beer and tobacco
Well I spent all me tin on the lassies drinking gin
Across the western ocean I must wander

Where is me shirt me noggin, noggin shirt
It's all gone for beer and tobacco
For the collar is all worn and the sleeves they are all torn
And the tail is looking for better weather

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog
All for me beer and tobacco
Well I spent all me tin on the lassies drinking gin
Across the western ocean I must wander

I'm sick in the head and I haven't gone to bed
Since I first came ashore from me slumber
For I spent all me dough on the lassies don't you know
Far across the western ocean I must wander

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog
All for me beer and tobacco
Well I spent all me tin on the lassies drinking gin
Across the western ocean I must wander!

Grand Lodge

Female human (Varisian) cleric of Erastil 3 LG | Init +3 | Perception +7 AC 17, T 13, FF 14 | hp 21/21 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5

"I prefer the hymns myself, but all music is good for the soul." A short curvy Varisian woman takes her seat at the table. She props a longbow at the back of her chair.

Her dark hair is pulled back, and on her neck and down her upper chest is a bleaching of the symbol of Erastil. Along with Wayang rings in her ears.

"Shera Dionas, cleric of Erastil at your service." She takes some food and drink. She smiles at the little bird creature. "What are you little creature?"

Silver Crusade

Female Human Fighter 5 [ HP 8/45 (0 NL) | AC 19 Tch 14 FF 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +3* | CMD 22* | Init +3 Perc +4 | Effects: bless, inspire courage ]

A tall, well-muscled woman enters, casting an assessing eye around the room as she crosses the threshold. Her light yellow hair lies in practical twin braids down her back, the ends fastened together with a rawhide thong. As she glances around the room, one hand rests lightly on the dagger at her belt, while the other keeps a firm grip on a double-bladed staff nearly as tall as she.

Apparently satisfying herself with the room's contents (or lack thereof?), the weathered face relaxes slightly and the woman nods once in greeting. "I am Itra," she offers, by way of introduction. Odd crew! What mission could need such a... varied assortment? Not raw, though... that one looks like she's seen some things, sure, and those two... may be playing the classic 'underestimate me once'. Never seen a waterman before, makes him hard to gauge. Wait and see, I guess.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

Searlas nods at Shera and Itra. "Heh... well... that one would be a hymn in my book. As for that little creature, I think it's Cayden's joke to keep me in line. And to bother the living daylight out of me."

Liberty's Edge

Female Thrush Figment | HP 6/6, | AC 16 (20 Mage Armor), T 16, FF 14 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +5 | CMD 3 | Perc +13 (+21 Skilled) | Init +2

The little bird jumps up onto Shera's shoulder.

"I am Hariwini. Master needs manners."

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

"I swear you little -" *CHIRP* "- of a bird... if you call me master ONE more time I'll drink until I black out just to spite you! I am no one's master, and no one's slave... and as much as I despise your incessant chatter, neither are you. I have no -" *CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP* " - idea why you insist on following me around..."

He starts to calm down a bit, then looks over at Itra. "For some reason when I get clocked over the head this guy vanishes for a bit. Getting blackout drunk works too and has less side-effects."

Liberty's Edge

Female Thrush Figment | HP 6/6, | AC 16 (20 Mage Armor), T 16, FF 14 | F: +3, R: +4, W: +5 | CMD 3 | Perc +13 (+21 Skilled) | Init +2

"Ma-"

The bird catches Searlas's pointed look and pauses.

"Mister has bad liver now."

Silver Crusade

Female Human Fighter 5 [ HP 8/45 (0 NL) | AC 19 Tch 14 FF 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +3* | CMD 22* | Init +3 Perc +4 | Effects: bless, inspire courage ]

Itra raises an eyebrow, a bemused expression on her face. "Interesting. Shall we try it?"

She smiles and hefts her weapon, showing a shovel-like end that would no doubt work very well for the purpose.


Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

Venture Captain Smine interrupts, clearly having gotten more than be bargained for with that question.

"Someone’s picking a fight—with us.”
He divulges in broken sentences reminiscent of the staccato clanging of the adjacent forge.

Continuing,

“You might know-
we’re committed to supporting Mendev.
Important business, that.
Worldwound expanding, wardstones failing.
Not good for anyone.
So when we send supplies north-
and they’re stolen,
it gets our attention.
And that’s been happening.
Months now.
Boat after boat-
heading up the Sellen,
attacked, looted—
always a few days out-
of Tymon.
Now, River Kingdoms shipping isn’t always chancy;
brigands on the water are nothing new.
Not like this, though.
And it isn’t all shipping.
Just ours. Someone is targeting us."

He pauses for a moment to make sure everybody is still following before continuing in slightly longer phrases.

"It’s my job to get to the bottom of this,
and I have a notion how.
Been told you lot were just what I needed.
So here’s what’s going to happen.
We’re not just going to find these pirates;
we’re going to flush ’em out.
They want to hit Pathfinders?
Pathfinders can hit, too.
They’ll think they’ve got another soft supply boat,
but the cargo will be you.
Ready to fight.”

He grins before concluding,
“You’re bait.
But you’re bait that bites back.”

Silver Crusade

Female Human Fighter 5 [ HP 8/45 (0 NL) | AC 19 Tch 14 FF 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +3* | CMD 22* | Init +3 Perc +4 | Effects: bless, inspire courage ]

Itra stiffens a bit as Smine begins to speak, and her stance takes on the aspect of a soldier at attention. She nods slowly as the Venture-Captain finishes explaining the plan, and when he winds down, she waits a moment before speaking up. "Any complications expected, sir?"

Scarab Sages

Male CG Undine Bard (Watersinger) 3 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 18 (13 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 (dark 60ft), SM: +9 | Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft. | Bardic Performance: 8/14 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: None.

Daffy's smile fades as the Venture-Captain's briefing goes on. Why did they send me along here? I'm no soldier, and this sure doesn't sound like somethin' we can talk our way through. What am I gonna do, sing the pirates away? At least it'll be on the water, not another trek through the dusty ol' desert.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

Searlas cringes every time the words 'boat' and 'pirate' are mentioned. When Itra finally asks her question Searlas looks at her incredulously. "Um... Itra? Were you listening to the same briefing I was? We're going to be bait... on a boat... in pirate infested waters... and you want to know if he expects complications? That's it... I qu-" CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP "- ... Hariwini? Are you quite done yet? I qu-" CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP " ... "

Searlas pull out a flask and takes a good long swig. "To hell with it... I guess I'm in. Lets do our best to be the complications instead of run into them."

He takes another long drink, scratches his poor excuse for a goatee, and asks, "Who would want to block our supplies to the soldiers at the wound? Even most ruthless pirates would rather not deal with floods of demons, daemons, devils, and other abominations. I mean... even the Aspis consortium couldn't be THAT hard up for cash that they'd risk hampering the war effort for their own personal gain right?"

He raises an eyebrow and then shakes his head. "Ok... yeah, probably Aspis... or one of Guaril's business deals gone bad. Or one of Zarta's old friends with a grudge."


Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

Smite muffles a chuckle as he responds "You are the complication. You pose as the crew of a Pathfinder barge. They try and rob you. You take them down. You hunt down their hideout and deal with any others."

You can also each make a knowledge local check.

DC 10+:
Tymon is founded on a tradition of gladiatorial combat, most famously in the city’s Arena of Aroden, where gladiators have vied for popular acclaim for over 2,000 years.

15+:
Tymon’s ruling class is composed entirely of experienced gladiators who earned their status after winning 10 arena combats.

Called “bloodied,” these gladiators have rights and privileges beyond any common Tymons. They alone are allowed to own property or bear weapons, and their word carries greater weight in court, almost placing them above the law. Tymon’s ruler, called the Champion, earns his place through combat as well.

20+:
In spite of the privileges of the “bloodied,” specialized laws grant some equity to others. The Law of Grievance allows anyone to challenge someone who has wronged him to arena combat.

This carries across social ranks; if challenged by a commoner, even one of the “bloodied” must submit. Even the Champion’s position is not secure; through the Law of Succession, any “bloodied” can challenge him for leadership.

25+:
Nothing more

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

"Ah... and find their hideout. And you say they always get attacked near Tymon eh? This... will be interesting. Suffice to say you ain't nobody in Tymon unless you've got 10 wins in the Arena of Aroden, and if you're somebody then the rule of law may as well not apply to you."

Searlas turns to Daffy. "Bet you a round of drinks that we end up in in the arena."

Grand Lodge

Sylph Ranger 4 | AC 19-T13-FF14 (21 vs ranged) | HP 32/32 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Per +9, darkvision; Init +4

Zephyr grins at the briefing, eating her apple with gusto. "Ahhh, an' this'll be a fine group to do just that! Slap a smile on ya face, Daffy, this'll be a nice little sailin'!"

Searlas's words make her arch a brow. "Ya think so? Well, well, I can think of worse things than a bit of steel to prove our point. Ha!

"So, Smine, do we got any clues at all who might be gunnin' for our colors? Think it's demon cultists things, mebbe? If they're stoppin' our shipments meant to fight demons, na?"

Silver Crusade

Female Human Fighter 5 [ HP 8/45 (0 NL) | AC 19 Tch 14 FF 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +3* | CMD 22* | Init +3 Perc +4 | Effects: bless, inspire courage ]

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Civilians...

Itra shakes her head ever so slightly, as if to dismiss a thought. Regaining her composure, she nods at Smine again. "Understood. Seems straightforward."

Scarab Sages

Male CG Undine Bard (Watersinger) 3 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 18 (13 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 (dark 60ft), SM: +9 | Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft. | Bardic Performance: 8/14 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: None.

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

"I've always wanted to play an arena...."

"I've heard about this place. Bloodsport is everything here, from entertainment to government, and anyone can challenge anyone else, even one of those 'bloodied' folks. If it comes down to it, the key may be to pick the right person to challenge."


Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

Smine smiles

"Good, I'll finish up hiring you a boat and get you the info first thing in the morning, in the mean time make yourselves look soft. Hit the taverns. Look like landlubbers. Drink hard, and look like you’re shipping out hung-over. Spread a good cover story. Make them overconfident.”

He continues "When you're done, I've got rooms set aside for you here, and then a strong black coffee to get you going in the morning."

Feel free to go hit the town.

Grand Lodge

Sylph Ranger 4 | AC 19-T13-FF14 (21 vs ranged) | HP 32/32 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Per +9, darkvision; Init +4

"Look like landlubbers!" Zephyr sputters. "Oh.... fine. Can I leave some of me dosh here then?" she says with a gesture at her big hat and fine velvet greatcoat.

***

When she makes her way to a tavern with the others, she's still muttering about the insult of having to pose as a lubber. But she shakes off her displeasure.

"Yah, thass smart, Daffy, we'll keep that in mind. So, I know Daffy here does a bit of strings, and Savvy's got his creepy bird, and Shera here has the god-whispering down... nice bow, by the way... so what do the rest of the crew bring to the ship, eh? Itra, ya look beefy, ya good with that big hacky staff?

"Me, I'm a fair hand with a bow myself, and I know me way around a ship. 'm not much good at glib-speakin' tho, me accent or somethin'. So if we're to spin clever tales in this pub, best someone else na' me takes the wheel there."

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

A huge smile crosses Searlas's face at the mention of drink. "Looks like Cayden's church is back in session!"

***

Searlas has no problem looking like a landlubber, as every time he's been aboard a ship it ended poorly. He also has no problem appearing to ship out hung-over... because that's about the only way he's willing to board one again. He saunters along, rucksack over his shoulder, and follows the party.

"I think you've got it backwards Zephyr, the creepy bird brings me to the ship I think... If I had my way I'd have turned tail and scarpered as soon as he said 'boat.'"

Searlas gives an exasperated sigh. "I'm a psychic... I have a knack for convincing people to do things they would otherwise prefer not to do. Like for example... convincing people not to kill me... or convincing a slaver to look the other way for a moment while my bird goes at their manacles... that sort of thing."

Hariwini, comfortably situated back in the hole-filled pewter tankard chirps in agreement.


Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

To save ourselves a bit of time I'm going to pull back the curtain and explain the mechanic:

This is an opportunity for the players to indulge in some roleplaying. During the evening, each PC can make a single skill check to determine whether or not they succeeded in seeding his deception into Tymon’s rumor mills.

Descriptions that are well done or otherwise amuse me will resolve against an easier DC.

Further details on skills:
Although Bluff or Diplomacy might seem essential, even less socially savvy characters can contribute.

Someone with a high Swim modifier might take a dare to dive off the docks, making an awesome show of floundering about in the water. A Linguistics specialist might drone on at length about the root words for nautical terms while displaying complete ignorance of practical sailing knowledge.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

Oh boy, an opportunity to make an ass of myself? Whoohoo!

Searlas will cast False Life on himself before hitting the town, knowing that his shenanigans will likely illicit a punch to the face.

Temp HP: 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

"So... looking to make a name for ourselves eh? Except in the... other way. Hmm well getting thrown in the dock in some public manner usually gets your face remembered, although that may be a problem as far as... you know... actually getting anything done. Anyone familiar with local law? What we need is a convenient way to get in only a little bit of trouble with a lot of people watching. Preferably something with a cheap fine... you know like 50 gold to the widows of the watch fund or something. All sorts of places have weird busking rules right? I'm sure there is something here that'll do the trick... like mimes... or juggling holy symbols of Razmir, or something like that. Has to be just bad enough to leave an impression but not so bad that it actually lands you in a cell."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sylph Ranger 4 | AC 19-T13-FF14 (21 vs ranged) | HP 32/32 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Per +9, darkvision; Init +4

"Hehh..... yeah, mayhap ya could insult the warriors in their arena," Zephyr smirks at Searlas. "Tell 'em the city oughta be ruled by the smartest, not the biggest brute. I'm sure that'd make ya a lotta friends! Mayhap yah psykick powers'll get ya outta trouble."

The sylph winks, then considers how best to pose as a lubber and an easy mark. Much as the concept offends her. Well, she supposes she can manage to sound like someone who only thinks they're a sailor.... as long as she can avoid cringing at her own intentional misuse of nautical terms.

In the tavern, Zephyr loudly orders rounds for the house... of GROG, because, as she explains to the bartender, "that's what us REAL SAILORS drink!

"Ya know, when we're battening the jib to the mast! An' swashing the deck! An' furling the mizzlemast an' bilging the wheel! Eh, what do ya mean, have I even been on a boat before-- of course I have! Why, I've sailed on the.... coracles and the... jolly ships... so these are fine ships out here in the river ya have, anyway... almost as good as those ocean boats..."

As any true sailor can tell you, it's a criminal offence to mix up the distinction between a boat and a ship. Zephyr takes every opportunity to desecrate that sacred distinction through the next few rounds of the grog she's insisting on, despite scurvy only being a risk to ocean-bound sailors and not at all a problem in the River Kingdoms. In her heart of hearts, she quietly apologizes to Besmara for this charade.

Profession Sailor... to be an AWFUL sailor: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Undine Bard (Watersinger) 3 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 18 (13 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 (dark 60ft), SM: +9 | Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft. | Bardic Performance: 8/14 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: None.

Daffy finds the bartender and loudly tries to solicit work: "Excuse me sir! What your fine establishment here needs is some music, and I can provide it! Here, let me give you a sample!" He begins to play the same shanty he played for the party earlier, but with the quality turned down. He 'forgets' some words, misses a few notes. Not terrible, but enough to seem like maybe he just learned it.

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog
All for me beer and ...tomato
Well I spent all me tin on the lassies drinking gin
Across the wetter ocean I must wander

Where are me boots, me nagging, nagging boots
they're all gone for beer and tobacco
For the heels they are worn out and the toes are falling off
And the soles are looking for better leather....

"Please mister, just one set! I haven't had a paying gig in weeks! I've had to resort to being a deckhand just keep myself in strings!"

Perform (strings)...badly, but not too badly: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Grand Lodge

Female human (Varisian) cleric of Erastil 3 LG | Init +3 | Perception +7 AC 17, T 13, FF 14 | hp 21/21 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5

Shera follows along to the tavern. "This shouldn't be too hard for me fake being a sailor. I haven't spent much time on boats."

She takes the grog that Zephyr, and sips at it while trying to look like she's drinking quickly. "You're sure that grog is what the real sailors drink. It's not as tasty as cider."

"Those boats are really nice. I've always wanted to ride on one of those. I got a job doing just that. I'm supposed to do be doing something with sails I think. Not sure. It's going to be so much fun." She tries to make conversation with everyone about what she will be doing on the boat and trying to pick their brains about "real" sailing words.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Silver Crusade

Female Human Fighter 5 [ HP 8/45 (0 NL) | AC 19 Tch 14 FF 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +3* | CMD 22* | Init +3 Perc +4 | Effects: bless, inspire courage ]

Itra takes a few minutes to scope out the place, studiously avoiding the rest of the group. Finally she sidles up to one of the more senior-looking bouncers — he doesn't look like he'll tolerate any nonsense.

"Ha, look at them," she comments to thin air. "Bout as experienced as a bunch of freshies straight from training, eh?" Reaching over, she punches the bouncer in the arm "playfully" (read: hard enough to hurt).

She pauses for a few seconds as he stoically ignores the assault, then continues. "You really should throw 'em out. Here, why don't you let me..." So saying, she grabs "clumsily" at the cudgel on his belt and makes for the center of the room, waving the cudgel about wildly and "accidentally" smacking one or two arms, hands, and mugs of ale along the way.

Profession (Soldier): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

Let's try this... Going to try to use Knowledge (Local) to try to come up with a minor local law that I could 'run amiss of' with a small fine attached and then blab to the guards that 'am new around here' and 'I'll pay the fine, no excuse, blah blah blah'

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

As the night goes on and the bar's average inebriation level goes up, Searlas decides to make a spectacle of himself by performing the most ancient of magic rituals... the cups and balls routine. Making heavy use of Hariwini's presence to maneuver items from his pocket to his hand does little to hide his utter incompetence. As he gets to finale of the trick he announces to the few onlookers who remain, loudly enough get the attention of any local watchmen nursing their drinks.

"...so as you see, a ball is placed under the left and right cups and the center has naught, but with a tap..." He strikes both cups on the top and very obviously moves them back slightly to palm them. Hariwini flutters about to make the necessary preparations. "...they are gone once again! But nothing in my hand here so where did they go? Of course! The center cup!" He tips the cup forward, revealing both balls underneath. "But now..." He dramatically produces a pen, and scrawls on the front of the cup a rough symbol of Gorum whilst simultaneously replacing the balls with a much larger pair from his pocket. He lifts the cup to reveal his crude joke. "Looks like the lord of battle has quite the pair eh?" He rotates the cup around revealing a holy symbol of Razmir, then lifts the cup again, revealing that both have been removed. "And the living lie... none"

His performance is matched by few... as most people drunk enough to consider attempting such a feat with no skill pass out halfway through.


Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

Searlas comes up with a nice scheme. Despite Tymon's rough nature it does feature a temple of Abadar, which has very strict rules on noise.

Searlas waits for a nearby guard before heading loudly in the temple.

As Searlas looks back to make sure he's being followed, he runs straight into a barrel chested Bloodied.

The guard turns the corner and the gladitor smiles "I got dis."
The guard looks, nods and backs out.

Searlas's' flying body soon follows out the door, landing roughly on the street.

The guard shakes his head, shrugs and heads off.

---

Itra's scheme also works well as her tavern is filled with uproarious laughter.

---

Daffy John's accent gives away that he's a bit more experienced with the water than he lets on while Shera has trouble getting anybody to pay her any mind at all.

---

The next morning Smine sends you to dock #12b where Tevryn’s Terrapin, a modified barge—awaits.

Whereas most barges are currendriven and only travel downriver, the Terrapin is equipped with a sail and several oars to allow for movement up and down the waterways.

A thick Taldan introduces her self "Name's Demeliah Sorhenson, and Smine told me what you're up to. I'll sail the boat, you deal with the pirates, square?"

Silver Crusade

Female Human Fighter 5 [ HP 8/45 (0 NL) | AC 19 Tch 14 FF 16 | Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +3* | CMD 22* | Init +3 Perc +4 | Effects: bless, inspire courage ]

Itra nods, sizing the woman up by sheer force of habit. "Have you sailed for long, Demeliah?" she asks, listening for telltale signs of deceit in the response.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

Searlas seems a lot less picky. "Yeah... square... super square... cube... something like that."

He sits down, thinks, then stands back up and approaches Demeliah. "About how far out do these boats usually get ambushed?"

Searlas has a wand of Mage Armor and will use it when they are about an hour out from the suspected hit zone, and keep reapplying every hour until they find their mark. False Life lasts for 5 hours, so he'll apply that sooner.

False Life: 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Scarab Sages

Male CG Undine Bard (Watersinger) 3 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 18 (13 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 (dark 60ft), SM: +9 | Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft. | Bardic Performance: 8/14 | Spells: 1st 2/4 | Active conditions: None.

Daffy will spend as much time lounging and playing music as he can, trying to project the image of an idle deck hand.


Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

Demeliah responds to Itra "Long enough to grow a firm hatred of pirates, and Smine's paying well. She grins a bit at that last statement.

She continues "Well it's a little over a week up river from here to Mendev. When I asked Smine if he knew about the ambushes why not just send a group of Pathfinders over land or maybe hire some locals to deal with it ans he said 'They've been attacking all up an' down the river, that's why they need ya to play bait."

Grand Lodge

Female human (Varisian) cleric of Erastil 3 LG | Init +3 | Perception +7 AC 17, T 13, FF 14 | hp 21/21 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5

"Got it. Stay on guard. Who knows when the attack will come." Shera double checks her weapons and sends up a prayer to Erastil for safe travels, and a good end to the piracy.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Psychic 5 | HP 34/27, | AC 11 (15), T 11, FF 10 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | CMD 12 | Perc +12 | Init +1
Resource Tracking:
Phrenic Points: 3/5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 6/8 Lvl 2: 4/6 | 2 GM * Reroll unused | Detect Thoughts unused

"So no clear stretch of the river where they tend to show up eh? Alright then. We'll do our best to keep watch then."

Searlas whistles and Hariwini leaps out of the tankard. "Well? If I promise not to run away or swear too much, would you mind keeping a lookout from the sky?"

Hariwini has +10 perception. If Hariwini is out of arms reach, which he likely will be if he's flying around on lookout, Searlas's perception drops to +10. Please roll on my behalf when it becomes pertinent.

The bird stares at him continuously for an awkward 30 seconds without so much as a peep. Finally Searlas gives an exaggerated sigh. "Ok... yes I, Searlas Savy, do solemnly swear NOT to run away while my -" *CHIRP* "-ed conscience bird is watching for things that want to kill us."

~Another 30 second pause~

"Grrr... and I will not use language that is not befitting of the situation."

~Another 30 second pause~

"If I swear while you're on watch I'll buy you a pot of ectoplasmic residue and a bag of birdseed."

Hariwini chirps in agreement.

"Deal."

He begins to fish around in his pack for 21gp to set aside. Once the Hariwini flies off he looks over at Demeliah. "Know where I can buy a pot of ectoplasmic residue and a bag of birdseed? He loves that stuff for some reason... and I'm really bad at watching my language."


Have what you Map || The Gauntlet

The first day of travel proves uneventful as Tevryn’s Terrapin meanders upriver.

With a reasonable routine of Hariwini keeping watching overhead things are almost boring until just after lunch on the second day Hariwini swoops back

"Chirp! "Chirp! "Chirp!"

speak with master?:
The bird squawks "As soon as you flightless apes got within view a croc over there slipped into the water. That isn't news on its own but it went swimming away with a purpose. I suspect that trouble you keep whining about is coming soon."

1 to 50 of 420 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Have what you Play GD VI [PFS] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.