Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

PH Dungeon's Hyborian Campaign

Game Master P.H. Dungeon

A sword and sorcery campaign set in Hyboria, initially Shadizar Zamora, using the Barbarians of Lemuria Rules.


401 to 450 of 701 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

male human

Yes Ardeth, to you they do look like dark little ants. You could reach out and crush them with our fingers.


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

Xanos goes about the sanctuary pulling down tapestries and connecting flammable things to other flammable things with them. In short order the entire place is set to burn.

Once everyone else is out of there, I set it ablaze and join them.


male human

So are we walking back to Shadizar then?


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

Bran watches the procession of horses leave, realizing there's little left that he can do.
"We'll catch up to them sooner or later. Let's turn over that camp and see what we can scavenge- food and clothing aren't free, after all, and we'll need both once we're back in Shadizar. We can pay a visit to our good friend the innkeeper once we're back there as well."
He starts descending the path toward the camp below.


male human

I'm not really up for running another big fight just yet. The guards in the camp aren't as disciplined or well trained as the ones you just dealt with, so despite your injuries I'm going to assume that you can secure the camp without that much difficulty. It's free to pillage, and I will assume that you have several captives to interrogate, some guards who are wounded or surrendered and other slaves who didn't run off into the desert.


Ardeth approaches the slaves. "You are free now. Go, before I decide to kill you."


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

Xanos comes out of the hole in the dark in time to see that his new companions have routed the rest of the camp. he watches them work for a time, backlit against the ruddy hell-glow of the pit they'd escaped from. He nodded to himself.

They will do. They are not the Masked Riders, but they are much the same as they were before the masks were donned and the legends were built.

You live in the past, Xanos. The legends you speak of are dead and gone. Forgotten ashes. Your kingdom is fallen and your house is a footnote in someone else's story. Everyone you know is dead. Everyone dies.

Except me.

Except you
and us

It does not matter. If nothing is permanent then now is all I have. So I will build a new legend. With them. For now.

Which is how they will die.
With their blood on your hands. You choose for them.

They choose for themselves. They are mortal. Choice is all they have.

And yet, you will take that from them. Trick them. Bind them. Convince them to help you.
and yet you still think of yourself as different from us. How are you different?

Because I have no choice.


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

"You think that's necessary, Ardeth? Listen, if any of you lot can tell us if there's another temple to Azoth in Shadizar or where the I'mallah's closest allies reside in the city, we'll send you back with what supplies and sellable goods we can find for you in these tents. Probably won't be much, but enough to look for work that doesn't involve slavery. You must overhear things, time to time..."

Appeal w/smuggler level, if applicable: 2d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5, 5) + 1 + 1 = 12


male human

Most of the men seem to scared to say anything. However one of the guards who is wounded calls you over.

I'm dying. Just promise me you'll end it with a quick death, and I'll tell you what I know.

Another wounded guard yells to him:

Say nothing fool! Azoth will torture your soul for all eternity if you betray the faith!

This guard then starts crawling towards the guard who seems to want to talk with his entrails dragging behind him, murderous intent in his eye.

It take you but a second to finish him, so that the other one can say his piece.

They have a temple... In the city... In the temple district.... It is hard to find... It is hidden down below... Go down the alley across from Zyion's Apothecary. The red door...

He then starts coughing up too much blood to speak anymore.


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

Bran hastens him along with a dagger thrust, as quickly and cleanly as he can.
"My thanks. Well, we've got a destination, then."


Ardeth grunts, before turning in the direction of Shadizar and beginning to walk.

If there is water and food around I will take as much as I can carry.


male human

There is plenty of water and rations, but little of value. You can properly cloth yourselves, though. There are still some goats in the coral and plenty of tents if you want. If you force march you figure you might stand a chance of making Shadizar by nigthfall.


male human

If there is anything you plan to take besides basic rations and water, let me know. Othewise I will assume that you are just grabbing what you need to ensure you can make it to Shadizar.


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

Works for me

First taking the time to find the best weapons and armor that fit him (at least a spear, a sword, a dagger and whatever armor is available) once properly outfitted again, Juma grins for the first time in some time. The giant warrior then finds a shirt that fits him, clean cloth to make a proper loincloth and fashioning a shoufah to protect his head from the sun, Juma also gathers together enough food and water for 3 days journey and, once the others are ready, sets out towards Shadizar.

With his long strides, he keeps up a quick pace for the others to follow, for he is determined, deadly determined, to reach Shadizar, and more importantly a certain inn and it's innkeeper, by nightfall.


male human

There isn't any armour here that is any better than what you've found thus far. However, Juma, you can easily equip yourself with the stuff you mentioned in your post.

I'm not so sure if the rest of the party is going to be eager to confront too many more enemies until they recover from their injuries a bit more, but we'll see.


male human

Hopefully everyone is ready to move forward.

After gathering up the supplies you need, you set out west into the dessert. It is a long hot walk. Eventually you come to a caravan trail and you follow that south to Shadizar. You have to march hard that day, and it is nearly dark when you finally at the city wall. There is a tent city outside where caravans that are willing to risk the dangers not being protected by the wall camp to avoid paying various tariffs and taxes. The gates close at dark, but you figure if you hustle you can make it before they close. Either that or you can a find lodgings in the tent city for the night.

You are all totally exhausted and want nothing more than to collapse and sleep.

Ardeth, the effects of the Lotus have now worn off, though you'd love to smoke a little more something soon.


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

I was going to suggest not hiking through the desert under the sun, but that's alright.

Like the others, Temur will have grabbed clothing, boots, something cover his head. Standard desert garb or as close as he can get.

When we reach the gates he's all for going in. "I should still have a room in the city and not at the tavern they took me from, either. Hopefully the landlord hasn't decided I'm dead or fled. I wonder if we were kept drugged more than a day?"

During the hours of the trek, he'll have shared a few details of how he was taken: drinking, drugged at the “The Jeweled Dancer.”


"They might have people watching the gates for us. We should lay as low as possible." Ardeth says.


male human
Ardeth Bay wrote:
"They might have people watching the gates for us. We should lay as low as possible." Ardeth says.

So what do you propose for passing through the gates then? FYI this next section of the game is going to be pretty character directed. Obviously you have a couple of leads on this cult, and I'm sure vengeance is a priority for some, but if you have other interests feel free to let me know about them, and I will try to work in opportunities for you to pursue them.


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

Bran thinks back to when he and his former employer first arrived back in Shadizar; did they use the front gate?
Trying to think of an alternate route- Mind+Smuggler 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (5, 4) + 2 = 11


male human

Map of Shadizar

You guys are approaching the gate of three swords. The tent cities built outside the Gate of 3 swords and the Caravan Gate aren't marked on the map.

Bran

Spoiler:

You know that the huge portcullis that could once be dropped down to seal the river entrances no longer function. They are always open, and at night the guards stationed under the river walls turn a blind eye to the smuggler punts that pass through, as long as they flash the correct signal with their lanterns. That signal changes from week to week. You know that if you talk to a man named Henil, who runs a brothel tent in the tent city near the river and give him a sufficient bribe he will allow you to rent a punt from him and provide you with the signal. He in turns pays a portion of his take in this venture to the city guard, which is why they don't bother anyone who knows his signal. Since the signal changes from week to week smugglers must continue to fill his and the city guards' coffers.


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

"We're going to have to go in eventually. If we split up and approach the gate separately it'll be harder to spot us. We are dressed differently, which'll help. Some of us are pretty obvious, even with cloaks on. "


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

"We could do that.", Bran says, dropping his voice to a whisper,"Or we could take advantage of the river gate. I know someone in the tent city that can arrange a punt and get us the signal... but we'll have to pay his fee. He takes his cut, the guards get theirs and we preserve the surprise."


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

"It maybe worth it. He'll have to take his bribe in trade, unless someone knows a fence in the tent city."

Find a fence: (Mind, Bandit)2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 3) + 2 = 6


male human

You don't know of any fences, but you guys have some silver goblets and such that you pillaged from the sanctum, you figure it is pretty likely that some of those objects will serve suitable payment. Most folk are happy enough to do a little bartering.


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

"They know me here. I have been coming and going from this gate for some time. The guards will not trouble us. The toll is slight for those without goods."


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

Bran stifles a shudder just hearing Xanos speak. But he forces himself to look the sorcerer in the eye.
"The problem isn't the toll. The problem is our entrance being marked; they don't need to trouble us to report to Azoth's priests. If we go in through the river gate, under cover of darkness marked only by men whose pockets are personally being filled by our arrival... it will be more discreet."


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

"Very well."


male human

I'm going to move this along a little.

With Xanos in a agreement you spend some time in the tent city, trying to keep a low profile, waiting until dark. You then head down to a tavern/brothel tent by the river. There Bran asks for a man named Henil, whom you speak with in private. You explain your interest in discreetly entering the city, keeping an eye out for any prying eyes and ears, though you don't notice any. In exchange for a couple of silver goblets, which he examines with curiosity but not comment, he directs you down a set of stairs to the river bank. He sends a large zamoran man with a lantern to escort you. When you get to the river you see several punts tethered to the shore. The man ushers you aboard one, then he gets into the stern, hangs the lantern from a pole pulls a hood down to conceal its light. Next he starts poling the punt forward. You pass under the wall, through the river gate. He flashes the guards stationed along the bank a quick series of signals with the lantern, and they let you pass without issue. Not long after he docks the punt at a pier. You get off, and he nods, turns the punt around and heads back the way he came without saying a word.


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

"This way." Xanos rumbles once they are within the city walls. "I have rooms in the Caravan district."


Time:Earlier

Ardeth replies to Bran, "Agreed." He tries to disguise his appearance as best as possible with what they have on hand. He will rub his hair with red mud, and wear a heavily concealing cloak. If he can fins someone willing to trade, he will acquire different clothes.

Disguise (Assassin) 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 5) + 2 = 11

Time:Now

Ardeth turns to Xanos, "Do you have somewhere we can hide for now? Until we are healed enough to attack them? If we wait a couple days they may think that the desert became our grave."


male human

Take it away Xanos. Feel free to describe the next little segment as you wish (i.e. your trek through the city streets, your lodgings etc...

Ardeth you were successfully able to trade for some different clothes.


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

Do we have any idea of approximately how much value the remaining loot we have is?

"Personally I would like to retrieve my things, if they haven't been sold or given away. That being of course right after I bury my spear in the bastards that drugged me. But I am not so sure about staying anywhere any of us may be known. After all, Xanos, they took you once already knowing who you are and likely where you live. Why give them the chance again?"

What Juma leaves unsaid is that he also has little desire to enter the lair of another magic-user, especially after having his mind tampered with so recently by one of the demon worshippers. They were all the same, as far as the big man was concerned, and the look he gives Xanos make his feelings fairly clear.


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

"I was not taken from the city." Xanos replied to Juma. "I have paid handsomely to ensure I am well informed and safe where I have been staying. Sadly, that money is now gone, but for now my safe-guards should still be in effect for a time. I find it worthwhile to pay in advance if it can be afforded. This way."

The river had dropped them into the craftsman district which was still churning with activity despite the lateness of the hour. Noise came from everywhere. Firelight pulsed in shops all around as they moved through the streets. Smiths and carpenters watched them pass from the corners of their eyes, but people around here were used to late night comings and goings through the river gates.

A trio of soldiers moved from shop to shop interrupting the workers and lifting a severed head out of a bag by it's dark, greasy hair. "Do you know this man?" they loudly asked everyone they came to. At the fourth asking the group heard, a nervous tanner must have told them something they liked. A small bag was pressed into his hands. "The city thanks you for your diligence." one of the guards said. They stomped across the street and vanished into a sideway, throwing the severed head into the river as they went.

The workers ignored it as it bobbed away.

Shadizar, it seemed, was not a place for the faint of heart.

The noise died down as they moved south into the caravan district. Warehouses were prominent here. In the city that never rests, this place at night was as close as it came to empty. Eyes of ragged children eyed them from alleyways and opiate addled addicts shambled along the streets making wide berth around the dangerous looking group.

They turned a corner and found themselves just outside the street lights that burned eternally in the merchant district. The building he stopped in front of was a stoutly build two story inn and tavern with a an attached stable. A sign out front proclaimed it the Ice Worm Lodge.

Xanos stopped for a moment and waited. A rustling sound came from the alleyway next to them. A serious looking girl of perhaps eight years dressed in tattered boys clothes came to the mouth of the alley. Xanos spoke but did not look at her.

"I wish to know what has become of my companions, the ones I left the city with. Whichever of your friends brings me good information will receive all they can eat, a night in a warm bed and a bath if they wish one."

The girl nodded and whispered "Got it." and then vanished on light feet back down the alley.

Xanos crossed the street into the tavern. It was quiet, only a few patrons still awake so late at night nursing their drinks and a strange game of black and white stones. A bald-headed Aesir came from the back at the sound of the door opening and seemed surprised to see Xanos. "New crew?" the innkeep said simply.

"Yes." Xanos replied. "And they are hungry."


"Aye, food. And bring me a pipe as well." Ardeth adds to Xanos' statement.


male human

Well you've got a place to stay now. How long do you wish to rest, and what's your next course of action? Remember you recover 1 LB each day. You have no money, but you still have some silver dishware from the sanctum that you could potentially fence for actual coin.


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

"If we're thinking about revenge, I think we should let it sit for a little bit. If they're expecting more trouble from us, they're probably expecting it soon. They'll be most alert now. Give them a few days and they'll relax, think we haven't found them or aren't interested.

Meanwhile, we should try to stake the place out. Keep an eye on them, see if they're running off, see who goes in and out, work up a plan."


"Agreed. A couple of us need time to heal anyway."


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

Clearly not liking the situation but having few other options at present, Juma reluctantly goes along.

Juma scowls as the drug addict asks for his pipe, but on a moment's more thought realizes he has a powerful thirst himself. Mostly though, he seeks a good meal "Yes, food, lots of it. And some ale if you have anything drinkable."

Was this the haven the wizard was referring to? Taverns were the kind of place he knew well, why the last time he was in Shadizar he was in a tavern, the very same night that...

"On second thought, no ale, just food and some clean water." he didn't suppose he'd be off drink forever, but for now he'd seemed to have lost his taste for it. And at least with water, he should be able to taste if anything was wrong with it...

He doesn't speak his opinion on their revenge just yet, instead he just glowers and cracks his knuckles, making a surprisingly loud sound.


male human

Everyone check the discussion thread, specifically my last post

I can see Juma is eager to do some more killing.


male human

You all sleep long and deep for the remainder of that night. In fact you are so exhausted that you sleep through much of the next day as well.

Everyone regains an LB. If you are injured.

Temur had mentioned staking out the temple or maybe the Jeweled Dancer. Does anyone want to do that the next day/evening or are you wanting a few more days to recover first?

Dark Archive

Male Human Dungeon Master

Since you didnt get the message I posted in my game thread I will post it here. Stop posting in my Game P.H. Dungeon, you dont like my game then dont play it. A recruitment thread is not a place to showcase your opinions on a game system.


male human

Ignore that guy. I'm not really sure what his problem is. Apparently suggesting that it would be cool to use the Game of Thrones rpg for a Game of Thrones campaign is offensive.

FYI Nimrod, I had not planned on posting on your thread anymore, but thanks for the message. I apologize if I annoyed you.


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

"Ignore the local color." The sorcerer nodded as the strange man in the corner rambled his nonsense, speaking tongues and stringing words together that announced his idiocy to the world.

Food was brought but no plate sat before Xanos. Instead the Aesir proprietor brought the tattooed sorcerer a steaming mug of water and a simple wooden box.

Xanos nodded his thanks, tapped the box against the heel of his hand and then flicked his wrist. The box clicked and he opened it. The lid slid open rather than lifting. Inside were four small leather pouches.

He tapped a measure of white powder from one pouch into the cup, followed by a pinch of dried reddish leaves. The broth gave off a slight fizz as Xanos lifted it to his lips.

Besides this ritualistic drink, the magician neither ate nor drank.


P.H. Dungeon wrote:

You all sleep long and deep for the remainder of that night. In fact you are so exhausted that you sleep through much of the next day as well.

Everyone regains an LB. If you are injured.

Temur had mentioned staking out the temple or maybe the Jeweled Dancer. Does anyone want to do that the next day/evening or are you wanting a few more days to recover first?

Once he awakes from his exhaustion, Ardeth will disguise himself as a beggar and get high. He will stop by Xanos' room and say, "I'm going to stake out the temple. Don't worry, I will remain hidden and come back." He looks at Xanos for a moment before nodding and heading out. He leaves his bow in his room, and his daggers are hidden under his beggar's clothing.

Disguise (Assassin, Mind) 2d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6, 5) + 2 + 1 = 14

He will seek out the red door of the temple, and hide himself in a nearby alley where he has a view of the comings and goings. He will lay in the gutter and beg while keeping an eye on it. He tries to avoid notice as much as possible.

Stealth (Assassin, Agility) 3d6 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (4, 1, 4) + 2 + 3 = 14=13


male human

I'll wait and see if anyone else is joining you before responding.


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

Ardeth finds Xanos sitting in the center of a circle drawn with sand in the middle of his room. The runic tattoos on his body seem to be slowly shifting and seething between metallic glints, smoking burns, cracked blisters and necrotic rents. His eyes flicker and flash and his lips move silently, snarling in obvious hate and rage. Swirling energies in the colors of shadows and bright moonlight poured off his hands to light the room in dualing light and dark.

But only for a moment.

Then his eyes were clear and the runes only ink, the energies from his hands subduing to merely a trickle. He listened and nodded.

"Stay hidden. Should trouble arise seek refuge in the Garden Temple of Ishtar. It should be near there. Tell them you ask asylum in my name."

"And please lock my door."


male human

That afternoon Ardeth sets out to do some recon- seeking out the Red Door in the temple district that was mentioned by the guard at the camp.

Is anyone else up to anything or are the rest of you resting for now.

Ardeth

Spoiler:

Ardeth you don your disguise and make your way to the temple district. There you find the alley with the Red Door and begin your covert surveillance.

No one seems to pay much attention to you. During the day you see no activity. No one enter and on one leaves.

Do you wish to keep watch on the door after dark?


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

When Temur realizes Ardeth has left, he curses again. "We should have planned before he went. At least when he would return and when someone else should take over the watch."

Still, he will rest and wait for Ardeth to return.


Ardeth will lock Xanos' door on the way out.

Yes, I will keep watching for as long as I physically can.

401 to 450 of 701 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PH Dungeon's Hyborian Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.