Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PH Dungeon's Hyborian Campaign

Game Master P.H. Dungeon

A sword and sorcery campaign set in Hyboria, initially Shadizar Zamora, using the Barbarians of Lemuria Rules.


351 to 400 of 701 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

male human

The 10 is good enough Bran.

Bran you manage to lunge at the unnatural guard and tackle him. He falls to the ground with you on top of him. His falchion falls out of his hand and lands on the rugs.

He lets out a bestial snarl, and then attempts to throw you off

2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 6) + 4 = 12

Bran his strength is tremendous, and he hurls you off of him sending you sprawling across the rugs. You roll a couple of times and come to a stop against one of the dead women.

He then struggles to get to his feet.

This round is almost done. Temur can still act, and Juma still needs to go.


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

I swear I posted a thing earlier about Xanos saying "Destroy the horn" when the rest of the group entered the room. Where the he'll did it go?

"The horn! Destroy it!" Xanos growled, still dodging Juma's swings.


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

"The horn?" Temur looks around the room, then sees it in the niche. A quick dash across the room and he takes his scimitar in both hands, smashing it down on the horn with all his strength.

I'm not sure what rolls are needed for this, so here's the usual attack and damage:
Scimitar (Melee, Str): 2d6 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (4, 1) + 2 + 3 = 10
Damage (Str): 1d6 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 3 = 5
If he needs to burn hero points for this, either to bypass the guards to get there or to do enough damage, he will. He's putting everything into hitting it.


male human

I think you are going to need that hero point to destroy the horn, given your poor damage roll. You don't actually need to roll to hit the thing, so no worries there.

Temur rushes across the room and smashes his scimitar against the horn of the demon statue. The horn itself is green jade where the rest of the demon is more of dark basalt. The mighty blow is strong enough to shatter the horn, but it also shatters his scimitar as well.

There is a sound like a clap of thunder when Temur destroys the horn, and his body goes flying backward about 15 feet, landing on some of the rugs. He's barely conscious.

Temur

Spoiler:

Mind test: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8

As the horn shatters you feel like a thousand raging voices all surge into your head at the same time.

The agony of it burns you mind.

Damage 1d3 ⇒ 2

An instant later the two zombie guards waver and then fall lifelessly to the ground. The foul sorcery that seemed to have been powering them has seemingly vanished.

Furthermore, Juma seems to come to his senses as well. The glazed over look in his eyes vanishes. He lowers his blade and wipes the slather away from his mouth.

It looks like combat is over for now. Feel free to post as you wish.


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

Temur sits up, says "Ouch" very calmly and lies back down until the world stops spinning.


male human
Temur wrote:
Temur sits up, says "Ouch" very calmly and lies back down until the world stops spinning.

You did take a pretty good pounding this fight


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

What's the story with the other guards on the other side of the table?

As his mind suddenly clears, Juma finds himself facing Xanos instead of on of the guardsmen and, for a moment, thinks the sorcerer must have cast some spell on him and turned against them all. Growling, he tightens his grip and raises his sword.

Fortunately though, he then realizes the big man is in a purely defensive posture, and, further, that there is no more fighting going on in the room. His sword slowly lowering, he looks around, a dazed, confused and somewhat angry expression on his face as he says "What...?"

Also, I believe some of these guards had spears, are any of them lying around? If so, Juma will grab one, smiling. Temur will be free to take Juma's scimitar and torch if he wishes

Oh, and PHD, can you please explain when full defence is an option and when it isn't?


male human

The guards that were behind the table had retreated back into this room and were the ones that you guys just finished killing. There is a spear on the ground in the guard room that you can take.


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

Ok thanks, as stated, Juma takes that spear, leaving his scimitar available. But what I had meant was all the guards who had come up the stairs where the dead dog was

And did you catch my last question in my previous post btw? I edited it in later


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

Bran rises slowly from where the zombie guard threw him near the girls' corpses.
"Somehow this place is even more foul than that labyrinth."

"You were enscorcelled, Juma, and tried to slay Xanos. The priest fled in a cloud of black smoke. At least we're all alive after that mess... even if leaving the way we came isn't an option."
Bran looks around the I'mallah's throne room for another possible exit... and anything else of worth.


male human
Juma Oathbound wrote:

Ok thanks, as stated, Juma takes that spear, leaving his scimitar available. But what I had meant was all the guards who had come up the stairs where the dead dog was

And did you catch my last question in my previous post btw? I edited it in later

Full Defence works a follows: When you are being attacked, and you are aware of the attack you can opt to use your action to go on full defence. This doubles you defence attribute for that round. If you haven't acted during the round you forfeit your action for the round. If you have acted you forfeit your action for the next round.

For example: Ardeth's defence score is 2. That means an enemy normally needs 9+2 (11) to hit him. If an attack lands Ardeth can opt to go full defence, which means that his defence score is considered 4 instead of 2, so the enemy now needs a 9+4 (13) to hit him.


male human

Juma when you go back to the guard room to pick up the spear, you see that the dust has started to settle from Xanos' spell. There is a great deal of rubble in the hallway leading up to the guard room. There are several dead guards in the hall and few others that are really badly wounded and unable to walk. Although the hall is cluttered with dust and fallen rock, it isn't so full of the debris that you couldn't make your way back through it with some effort.

There doesn't seem to be any sign of any more reinforcements coming.

Juma there are several scimitars about, so taking a spear and scimitar is no problem


male human

Bran inspecting the room, you note that there are now many corpses. There are a total of 8 dead slave girls as well as all the guards the party killed.

In terms of valuables, there are many expensive looking rugs and silk pillows, though several have been soiled with blood and filth from the dead guards.

The big hookah pipe is probably quite valuable, but it is far from easily portable, though a couple of strong men could carry it together.

There are several candelabras and braziers that look finely wrought, but not overly portable.

The most portable thing you see is a small but beautiful box that holds lotus hashish.

Box image: box

There are a couple of silver platters on the floor with exotic fruits, cheeses and cured meats on them. As well as some silver goblets and few ceramic jugs of wine.

The whole sanctum looks like a real den of hedonism gone horribly wrong.


male human

There is also another exit from the room. It is through the hide flap that the I'mallah fled. On the other side of the flap is a short hallway that leads to another round chamber. This one is only about 15' in diameter. It features a winch system and a grate in the floor. You are pretty sure it is designed to winch open the door the cell that you were originally trapped in.

Near the winch are two empty buckets that were clearly once filled with blood, probably the same blood that was dumped down the grate onto you when you first woke up.

The room also has a small alcove at the opposite end of it. In that alcove is a wooden ladder that leads up a shaft. There is an opening at the top of the shaft suggesting another hall or room.


As soon as Temur shatters the horn, Ardeth will begin frantically searching around the hookah pipe for any lotus. If he finds the small box, he will snatch it and look for something to smoke with.


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

As he hears the account of what happened, the giant Kushite cannot stop the shiver that crwals up his spine and make his flesh crawl at the thought of the devil priest's fingers working in his very mind. Growling an incoherent oath internally Juma vows to see the sick servant Azoroth dead.

He then stares at Xanos for some time before uttering a single word, disgust plain in his voice "Magic", spitting to the side, he breaks gaze with the other big man. As his eyes then light on the statue of the demon, he growls again. Stalking over to it, Juma picks up the statue, hold it high above his head and throws it against the wall with all of his might.

Before he goes to get the spear, Juma grabs a few handfuls of the fruit, cheese and meat, making sure to save enough for the others.

Once he has a spear in hand and a scimitar in a sheath strapped around his waist, he approaches one of the still living guards and, leaning down, puts the spear point against his throat and asks in a grim voice "Where are we, and who is responsible for putting us here. Answer me and I end your misery, fail to answer or lie and I let you live you to die in agony."

Have we gained any HP back yet? If not, how long do we have to rest?


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

I don't think any of the guards are still alive- and both of those questions were answered on page 4 or so by the guard we interrogated at the pit. We're about six hours from the city of Shadizar, in the desert. There's a camp of slaves and guards outside. I'm guessing the I'mallah is the person ultimately responsible for abducting us with help from a crooked innkeeper to sacrifice to his patron demon.


male human

Ardeth, the big hookah pipe is the only implement for smoking lotus you find in the room.

Juma, The demon statue is bigger than you and made entirely of stone, so it is much too heavy for even you to lift or smash- you would need some time and proper tools.

As I mentioned there are a couple of terribly wounded guards in the hall that survived Xanos' spell. The ones you guys dealt with are all dead. I believe that Juma was referring to one of those guards. However Juma, like Bran mentions above the guard you interrogate doesn't give you any information that you hadn't already garnered from previous interrogations.

By taking a short rest you can regain half the LB you lost during the fight rounded down. Additional LB is normally regained 1 per day.

Juma regains 1 LB

Xanos regains 0 LB

Bran regains 0 LB

Temur regains 6 LB

Ardeth regains 0 LB


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

Ah yes, thanks Bran I had forgot about questioning the guards before. But yes, I was referring to the alive ones in the collapsed hall. So, in that case Juma does teh same thing but asks....

"How many more of you guards are in the camp outside. And also, where are all our belongings?" Just for something to say

After their short rest, Juma rips up one of the ruined rugs to from a small sack, into which he places his share of any valuables. He then searches the guards for anything of value, including any armor and footwear which might fit him. As he does so, he mercifully kills any guards who clearly will not survive. Any who seem as if they might be fine once freed from the rubble, he says "You can stay here and die, or swear oath to follow and help us out of here and be free men once we escape. What say you?"


Aredth will tip the hookah back up and start to smoke out of it. Not a lot, just enough to make the craving stop.


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

Xanos shakes his head and sighs, saying nothig further to Juma.

With nothing more to be done in this place, he looks for some way to permanently destroy it.

Fire

Yes. Fire.


male human

Juma: All the guards are equipped with the studded leather girdles, which I think you already have one of. The captain has the biggest feet and probably the only set of sandals that actually fit you. You also discover a coin purse tucked in behind his girdle that has 25 sp.

In terms of your interrogations the guard you are talking to can barely speak.

"There guards in the camp. Don't know how many, maybe 8. Gear?"

That seems to take all his strength and he passes out. Looking at the other 3 survivors from the ceiling collapse, you don't see any that would be good for much of anything. All have horrible injuries and none can walk on their own.


male human

Ardeth Mind Check: 2d6 + 0 ⇒ (4, 1) + 0 = 5

Ardeth your cravings are pretty strong, once you get the hookah pipe set right and going, you find it very difficult to stop.

Spoiler:

This is probably the best lotus you've ever had.


Caught by the waves of self-immolation brought on by the lotus, Ardeth lounges relaxed next to the hookah, puffing it occasionally. He allows his eyes to drift closed, and he seems to forget that he is in enemy territory for the moment.


male human

Ardeth

Spoiler:

This particular lotus gives more than a pleasureful high; it is also imbued with some pretty intense psychotropic qualities.


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

Juma straps on the Captain's sandles and tucks the coin purse behind his own girdle. Getting nothing much of use from the fatally wounded guards, Juma puts them out of their misery.

Moving back to the hookah room, Juma picks up his improvised sack of loot and ties it to his waist. After carefully searching all the rooms to make sure their gear is not hidden anywhere he approaches Ardeth. Seeing a drug addict about to fall into a drug induced stupor, he kicks over the hookah, trying to break if possible, and yells at the smaller man "Get up you fool! Have you fought so hard for your life only to throw it away to that damned plant!"

Having seen addicts before however and being aware of their unpredictability, Juma readies to defend himself from a crazed attack from the man.


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

Having stuffed some of the meat and fruit into his mouth and a sip or two of wine from the jugs, Bran picks up one of the guard's falchions before quietly grabbing the valuable snuff box away from Ardeth and the hookah- for later sale... and rationing if need be.
"The next chamber's got a ladder leading out of here. Think that's where that damned sorcerer fled to. Do we want to follow or try to dig out the passage? Doesn't look like our scout's up to it at the moment..."


male human

Remember the hookah pipe is very big. It is as tall as Juma, and it has enough tubes for a dozen people to smoke from it at once. It weighs around 250 lbs.


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

Poor phrasing on my part- I meant that he's grabbing the snuff box and whatever contents remain for rationing, taking it away from where Ardeth sits with the hookah. Not trying to take the hookah.


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

As soon as Bran mentions where the sorcerous priest had gone, the one who had taken control of his mind, Juma begins stalking towards the ladder, murder in his eyes.


male human

It looks like Juma is heading up the ladder. Is anyone else going with him?


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

I'll go as well.


male human

Juma and Bran head up the ladder. Presumably Xanos and Temur are keeping an eye on things from down below, while Ardeth remains rather high on Lotus.

At the top of the ladder there is a really narrow hall with a low ceiling. It leads to a small room that has an opening in it that is the size of a man. The opening is essentially a doorway that leads out onto a ledge which overlooks the valley and the camp. A somewhat hidden trail winds its way from the ledge down to the valley floor.

There is a dead guard in the room. Much like the women in the sanctum, his body seems to have had the very life sucked out of it. He is armed with a dagger and a bow. He also has an ox horn, presumably for altering the camp to danger.

Daybreak is just beginning and there seems to be a lot of activity in the camp below. Some guards are scurrying about and helping 6 robed figures to hastily saddle horses down in a coral that is beside the camp.


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

Staying hidden and taking a good look at how many guards seem to be in the camp, Juma eyes the figures in the robes, gauging his chances in hitting one of them with an arrow.

He also pays close attention to any other important details he can notice, like escape routes, potential means to cause massive distraction and/or destruction and any identifying characteristics of the robed figures.


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

Temur gingerly sits up and shakes his head after a few minutes. Since everything seems to hold together, he gets up and looks around the room, seeing Bran head up the ladder. He takes a moment to strip one of the dead guards of his armor and put it on, then takes on of the thing's falchions and follows them up the ladder, ignoring Ardeth and Xanos if they're still below.


male human

Juma, they're pretty far off- probably a little over 500 yards away, so pretty long range for a bow shot, but possible given your elevated position. You are essentially hiding in the opening to a ledge that is on the side of rocky hill/mountain. The mountainside has a bit of scrub on it, but it is mostly barren. Beyond the valley that camp is in is the dessert. Based on the geography and the fact that the sun is coming up behind you, you are pretty sure that you looking in a westerly direction.

It's still too dark down in the camp to make out much in the way of details. The figures mostly look like silhouettes. A few voices trail up, but you can't make out words or conversations. You get a general sense of commotion around the camp.

You haven't seen any sign of the I'mallah. You see a boulder on the hillside nearby that you could likely climb over to without to much difficulty. You figure if you could dislodge it, it might roll down into the camp, but you aren't sure exactly what good that would accomplish.

While the targets are unaware, and assuming that you spend a bit of time aiming your shot, you could hit one of the robed figures with a #TN 12 ranged attack roll from your current position.


Male Kushite; Barbarian 1/Slave 0/Gladiator 2/Mercenary 1, Str 4, Agil 1, Mind 1, Appeal 0, Brawl 1, Melee 2, Ranged 1, Def 1, Health 12/16, Hero 5/5 Armor 4

And where/which way is the path that the guard said would lead back to Zamora?


male human
Juma Oathbound wrote:
And where/which way is the path that the guard said would lead back to Zamora?

There isn't a path per se, but the valley that the camp is in opens out into the dessert, and based on your limited knowledge of the geography of the region you figure that if you ride in a generally westerly direction you would be heading towards Shadizar. At any rate if you ride west you should hit a caravan trail, which you could then follow to Shadizar.


Ardeth will allow Juma to kick over the hookah, but when Bran tries to take the box he slaps his hands away. "Don't think so barbarian. You can have the box, but I paid for what's inside with blood." He will roll the hashish into a ball, and wrap it in a piece of cloth, before stowing it inside his turban. He gets slowly to his feet, stretches and saunters after Juma and Bran. The whirling colors and visualizations only serve to make this temple of death more macabre. While he feels relaxed, a growing paranoia begins wriggling in the back of Ardeth's brain and he quickly increases his pace to catch up with the others.

Okay, I'm hoping that you're not going to tell me "oh you're high you can't do anything." because that's completely unrealistic. I'm fine with heavy penalties to rolls, but even smack heads nodding off can do small things. Conan punches a camel into unconsciousness while high on lotus in one of the films if I remember correctly.


Cimmerian (Barbarian 2/Thug 1/Smuggler 1) B 1, M 2, R 0, D 1; LB 0/12, HeroP 4, AR/ACR 4/4

The Cimmerian shrugs, throwing the box into a makeshift sack of his own.
"Fine. But if Temur wants to split hairs over exactly whose blood that was- well, you're grown men aren't you? You can settle accounts amongst yourselves."

Can I figure out if the boulder would do enough to damage the camp to be worth using with a mind roll?
Mind: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (5, 2) + 1 = 8


Male, Defense 2, HP 7/11, SP 9/15, PP 8/11, Hero Points 4/5

Xanos waits patiently while Bran rouses the drug-addled killer off the floor, continuing to calculate about his surroundings.

"Take what you need from this place Ardeth, but do not plan on returning. I plan on sending a message to our captors."


male human

Bran you figure the boulder would probably roll into one of the tents, possibly crushing a person or so inside, and then it would likely get hung up.

Ardeth you are still welcome to do things.

Ardeth:

Spoiler:
Due to the nature of this particular lotus you might not always see a situation as it actually is for the next while.


Cool.

"I'm on my way out. That was great bringing down the hallway back there by the way. You saved our asses. Thanks." With that Ardeth ambles the rest of the way to the ladder and climbs up it.


male human

So it looks like Xanos is burning the rugs, trying to get a fire going, and that everyone will be departing down the pathway.

Assuming that's the plan, what's the plan for after that?


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

Does it look like they're abandoning the camp? Or are just the robed figures leaving?

If there are enough horses left, we should try to steal them after dark, other wise, it'll be a long walk back to Shadizar.


male human

They could be abandoning the camp it's hard to tell. If they are it looks as though the robed figures will be leaving much sooner than anyone else thanks to the horses they are readying


male human

As you watch and ponder your next course of action, the guards finish saddling the horses, and the robed men mount up. A few guards saddle other horses and mount up as well. It's still a bit dark out, but altogether you count 6 robed ones on horses and 4 guards. There are no other horses now in the coral just some goats. It looks like they are about to ride off.

There are still folk left in the camp, and they are starting to take down the tents. You spot another 6 guards overseeing the camp and count about a dozen other folk who you presume are common labourers, possibly even slaves.


(Nomad 1/Bandit 2/ Mercenary 1) Stats: (S 3 | A 2 | M 0 | A 0) Combat: (Melee 2/Ranged 2), LB 13/13, HeroP 5/5

Any chance of taking a different path down and intercepting the riders?

Otherwise, I say we just start the hike back to Shadizar.


"You can run but you can't hide little ants. We will find you." Ardeth says to no one in particular as he watches the people leaving. He seems to be staring intently at everything, even objects as uninteresting as stones and sand. We will find you, and I will steal the rest of your hashish.


male human

It looks like the riders will be leaving the valley, which means that they will be moving away from you guys. From where you are there is only the one pathway down into the valley. You have zero chance of intercepting them. The only thing you might be able to pull off is to take a couple out with some bow shots.

Otherwise you best bet is probably to sneak down the path and then either investigate the camp or bypass the camp entirely and start walking.

351 to 400 of 701 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PH Dungeon's Hyborian Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.