Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

[PFS] GM Mjolbeard's 'Scions of the Sky Key' Series

Game Master Mjolbeard89

On the Table

Initiative:
[dice=Farshaya]1d20+6[/dice
[dice=Jann]1d20[/dice
[dice=Laiashi]1d20+6[/dice
[dice=Meredith]1d20+2[/dice
[dice=Denair]1d20+1[/dice
[dice=Saritirnen]1d20+4[/dice
[dice=Willem]1d20+2[/dice


801 to 828 of 828 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts a fireball with long, trailing streaks descending from the sky.

Knowledge (history) or Knowledge (geography) DC 18:
The mural depicts a historical event called the Rain of Stars. Before recorded history, a fireball fell from the heavens and crashed into the land now called Numeria. Modern scholars believe the fireball was a vessel of some sort.


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts two dwarves locked in battle. One of them has long, braided hair while the other is bald.

Knowledge (local) or Knowledge (dungeoneering) DC 18:
The bald dwarf in the mural is a duergar. According to legend, an outcast god turned their heads bald and their skin ashen gray. They are infamous slavers who believe that the surface dwarves are traitors of their race and that other creatures are fit only for service and torment.


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts four complex symbols arranged on the four points of a compass rose slanted slightly to the right.

Appraise or Perception DC 18:
The symbol set on the south point of the compass rose is a stylized version of the symbol engraved on the piece of metal that the PCs found inside the dwarven talisman.


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts rolling hills with dark gray, rocky soil, punctuated with veins of gold. A vine covered in lavender flowers crushes a giant lizard like a constricting serpent.

Knowledge (geography) or Knowledge (nature) DC 18:
This mural depicts the westernmost part of the Bandu Hills.


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts a map with many rooms, some crude, others skillfully carved and rich in detail.

Knowledge (engineering) or Survival DC 18:
This mural depicts a stylized version of Ashkurhall, the dwarven settlement whose ruins the PCs are exploring. The map quite accurately shows how the parts that were built later are architecturally more impressive.


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts a dwarf with his eyes cast to the ground and his hand held against his chest.

Heal or Sense Motive DC 18:
The dwarf looks worried and has lost much weight. It is likely that the dwarf depicted has a terminal disease.


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts a demonlike creature with horns and wings.

Knowledge (engineering) or Knowledge (nature) DC 18:
The creature is a monstrous humanoid called a gargoyle. Gargoyles are best known for their ability to freeze in place to look like a statue. They are also ageless beings, and over time, their appearance changes to match the surrounding architecture.


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts a humanoid with bulbous eyes and bowed legs.

Knowledge (geography) or Knowledge (local) DC 18:
The creature is a grippli, a member of the same race of humanoids from whom the Pathfinders gained the dwarven talisman.

Those who completed Scions of the Sky Key, Part 2 get an auto success on this one! Congrats! Go ahead and read this spoiler.


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

The mural depicts a dwarf whose weapons and armor are made of wood and stone rather than metal. His skin bears numerous simple tattoos, and several bright feathers adorn his beard.

Knowledge (geography) or Knowledge (local) DC 18:
The dwarf in the mural is a Taralu. These jungle dwarves practice a version of ancestor worship alongside the worship of totems based on local creatures, particularly dragons and wyverns. These dwarves have a small but notable presence within the city of Kibwe.

Scarab Sages

HP 27/27; AC 14, T 10, FF 14; F+4, R+1, W+4; Perc +0, darkvision 60', Init +0; CMD 12

Knowledge 1 (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Knowledge 2 (history): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Knowledge 3 - cannot attempt
Perception 4: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Knowledge 5 - cannot attempt
Knowledge 6 - cannot attempt
Sense Motive 7: 1d20 ⇒ 15
Knowledge 8 - cannot attempt
Knowledge 9 auto success
Knowledge 10 cannot attempt!

Liberty's Edge

HP 19/19 | Spells -/1 | AC 15 T 11 FF 14 | CMD 15 | Saves 3/1/3 | Init 2 | Perception 0 (Denair 13) | 2 Female Human Unchained Summoner (Fey Caller) | Eidolon | GM Folio Reroll+1 |

"Fair enough." Meredith stares long and hard at most of the murals.

I'm using Guidance to give myself a +1

Quote:
The mural depicts four complex symbols arranged on the four points of a compass rose slanted slightly to the right.

Perception: 1d20 + 0 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 0 + 1 = 17

Quote:
The mural depicts a map with many rooms, some crude, others skillfully carved and rich in detail.

Survival: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 1 = 19

Quote:
The mural depicts a dwarf with his eyes cast to the ground and his hand held against his chest.

Heal: 1d20 + 0 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 0 + 1 = 17

"Hey, Denair. Help me with these- especially these nature focused ones." Meredith muses as she focuses on three of the murals.


| Female Eidolon Outsider (also counts as fey) | Denair's HP 13/13 | AC 19 T 16 F 18 | CMD 16 | Saves 4/1/3 (Evasion)| Init 1 | Perception 13

"Oh! I can help!" Denair scoots alongside Meredith and looks at the murals.

I'm using Guidance to give Denair a +1 bonus

Quote:
The mural depicts four complex symbols arranged on the four points of a compass rose slanted slightly to the right.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 13 + 1 = 16

Quote:
The mural depicts rolling hills with dark gray, rocky soil, punctuated with veins of gold. A vine covered in lavender flowers crushes a giant lizard like a constricting serpent.

Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 1 = 15

Quote:
The mural depicts a map with many rooms, some crude, others skillfully carved and rich in detail.

Survival: 1d20 + 0 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 0 + 1 = 20

"Oh, I get it! This is Ashkurhall, that's where we are now. Their uh... architecture improved over time. You chiseled more stone, I guess."

Quote:
The mural depicts a dwarf with his eyes cast to the ground and his hand held against his chest.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 1 = 20

"Oh that poor dwarf! He's so skinny! He got a disease that killed him, he must be in the later stages."

Quote:
The mural depicts a demonlike creature with horns and wings.

Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 1 = 25

"Oh hey, another gargoyle! Do you know their appearance changes over time to match their habitat? I mean, the surrounding architecture?"

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 3 | AC: 18/14/14 | HP: 23/23 | Fort +2, Ref +7 (+1 vs traps), Will +0 | CMB +2, CMD 16 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

On my phone, and replying sucks in Wayfinder. Sigh.
1.
2.
3. Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
4. Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
5.
6. Survival untrained: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6
7. Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
8.
9. Auto-success!
10. Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

-Posted with Wayfinder

Scarab Sages

HP 27/27; AC 14, T 10, FF 14; F+4, R+1, W+4; Perc +0, darkvision 60', Init +0; CMD 12

"See, here is the dwarven quest for sky. See, they seek the world above, even though it will be devoured by the darkness between the stars!"

Grand Lodge

Male Oread Sacred Fist Warpriest 2/Monk 2 | AC: 19/17/18| HP: 33/33 | Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +10 | CMB +7, CMD 24 | Init +1 | Perc +10 & Darkvision
GM Mjolbeard wrote:

The mural depicts a dwarf in a cave gazing up and shielding her eyes with a hand.

** spoiler omitted **

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 Success!

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Grand Lodge

Male Oread Sacred Fist Warpriest 2/Monk 2 | AC: 19/17/18| HP: 33/33 | Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +10 | CMB +7, CMD 24 | Init +1 | Perc +10 & Darkvision
GM Mjolbeard wrote:

The mural depicts a fireball with long, trailing streaks descending from the sky.

** spoiler omitted **

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Grand Lodge

Male Oread Sacred Fist Warpriest 2/Monk 2 | AC: 19/17/18| HP: 33/33 | Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +10 | CMB +7, CMD 24 | Init +1 | Perc +10 & Darkvision
GM Mjolbeard wrote:

The mural depicts four complex symbols arranged on the four points of a compass rose slanted slightly to the right.

** spoiler omitted **

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Grand Lodge

Male Oread Sacred Fist Warpriest 2/Monk 2 | AC: 19/17/18| HP: 33/33 | Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +10 | CMB +7, CMD 24 | Init +1 | Perc +10 & Darkvision
GM Mjolbeard wrote:

The mural depicts a dwarf with his eyes cast to the ground and his hand held against his chest.

** spoiler omitted **

Heal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27 Success!

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 3 | AC: 18/14/14 | HP: 23/23 | Fort +2, Ref +7 (+1 vs traps), Will +0 | CMB +2, CMD 16 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Ugh. Apparently the rest of my post got eaten.

The first several murals are beyond Laiashi's knowledge, so she follows the lead of her allies. However, she recognizes what's happening in the third. "That's a duergar, a deep dwarf. Their goal is to enslave all the normal dwarves."

"That southern symbol," she says when they approach the fourth mural. "It looks the same as the one on the talisman, or close enough."

She doesn't recognize the next two, but she notices something in the seventh. "He's got some kind of disease. Fatal, from the look of it. See how much weight he's lost?"

The ninth mural is immediately recognizable to all of them. "A gillman! We've been dealing with a local tribe of them. Not surprising they'd be involved here."

"I've heard of those dwarves," she says of the final painted figure. "They're called the Taralu. They worship totems of dragons and their own ancestors. There aren't that many of them."

-Posted with Wayfinder

Sovereign Court

PFS#119796-1|Male Human Cavalier (Emissary) 4 | HP: 36/36 | AC: 17/12/15 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +3 | Will: +4 | Init: +2 | Diplo: +12 | Handle Animal: +11 | Perc: +2 | Ride: +6 | SM: +9
GM Mjolbeard wrote:

The mural depicts a dwarf with his eyes cast to the ground and his hand held against his chest.

** spoiler omitted **

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Willem looks around at the images, each one as odd as the next. He could read a man's face up close and in person, but ancient drawings eluded him. What does it matter? He thinks. We have the talisman and none of these are true nobles.

Sovereign Court

PFS#119796-1|Male Human Cavalier (Emissary) 4 | HP: 36/36 | AC: 17/12/15 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +3 | Will: +4 | Init: +2 | Diplo: +12 | Handle Animal: +11 | Perc: +2 | Ride: +6 | SM: +9
GM Mjolbeard wrote:

The mural depicts a humanoid with bulbous eyes and bowed legs.

** spoiler omitted **
Those who completed Scions of the Sky Key, Part 2 get an auto success on this one! Congrats! Go ahead and read this spoiler.

Willem listened to the others explain what they could figure out. He recognized the gillmen, especially since the drawing looked like the one that gave him attitude earlier. "I've heard of the Quest for Sky, but alas my knowledge of Dwarven history is not as keen as others."


SoSK 3 | Midnight Mauler

Was giving Saritirnen some time to get his post up last night, but you guys already passed enough checks to succeed here, so we'll move on.

The Golden Guardian nods approvingly. “You truly are the worthy bearers of the talisman, so I shall tell you a story that Sigrin of Ashkurhall, the founder of this place, once told me.

“Long ago, when Sigrin’s father ruled as king, the dwarves rose from the depths and built a citadel so mighty that even a titan would gaze upon it in awe. Centuries later, a shower of stars rained upon a land not far from the dwarven hold. The dwarves marched to investigate. They found many wonderful things, the greatest of which was the mysterious artifact they named the Sky Key.

“But dark times soon followed, for their cousins from the underworld fell upon the dwarven citadel. Caught unprepared, the dwarves knew they could not hold off against the siege. The king ordered all but his most trusted guards to leave, and stayed behind to buy his people time to escape. Before Sigrin and her three siblings left to lead the dwarves to safety, the king gave each of them a piece of the Sky Key, and kept one for himself. The dwarves traveled far and wide, but the dangerous journey across the unknown land caused rifts in their clan. One by one, the king’s children went their separate ways, each taking a piece of the key and a part of the clan. Sigrin’s dwarves made their way to this continent, and though they found it quite inhospitable, they pressed on. After much searching, they found gold and started building this place. Their prosperity grew with each passing decade.”

Grinning, the Guardian continues, “That’s when I entered the picture. We didn’t get along at first, but I came to realize they were decent people, who appreciated stone and gold as much as I did.

“Their luck did not last, however. A sickness came over the dwarves, and the survivors were too few in number to continue their lineage. Rather than slowly die out here, they chose to leave. However, they wanted someone to watch over this place. They chose me. Sigrin went to her grippli allies and gave them her piece of the key. Where the dwarves were going, they couldn’t hold onto their memories and traditions. I think Sigrin made up a monstrous story about me—I probably deserved it,” the Guardian says with a grin, “but the story was to protect this place and the piece of the key.”

The Guardian stares at the last mural for a long time. “The dwarves left to join their cousins who lived in the jungle to the east. They never came back.”

Scarab Sages

HP 27/27; AC 14, T 10, FF 14; F+4, R+1, W+4; Perc +0, darkvision 60', Init +0; CMD 12

Jann smiles widely. "They tell many monstrous stories about me, too." He scratches at a cancerous sore on his face, which begins to ooze with pus.

Grand Lodge

Neutral | Elf Male | Oracle 2 | AC 17 (T 13/Fl 14) | hp 13/13 | Init +4 | Fort +1 Ref +3 Will +4 | Perception +3 | Conditions: None | Spells: L1 (DC13): 5/5 | CLW wand: 50/50
Expendables:
Wands:CLW: 10/12 charges | Lesser Restore: 5/5

Apologies GM. Got home too late from class

"They journeyed further to the east and left all this treasure here? Since the dwarves how many times have you been visited by those other than kobolds which revere you?"


| Female Eidolon Outsider (also counts as fey) | Denair's HP 13/13 | AC 19 T 16 F 18 | CMD 16 | Saves 4/1/3 (Evasion)| Init 1 | Perception 13

"Oh no..." Denair seems lost. "That's terrible."

"Raiders enjoyed defiling my forest. They would pour all sorts of weird potions and stuff into the ponds, they would hunt more than they needed to- they would even start fires. Plus they weren't kind at all to the people who were nice- like the Boss here." She gives a sideways glance to Meredith.

"When they poisoned my home tree and razed the Boss's home, she gave me a chance to see the world and a chance to be free. I guess they wanted you to be a gargoyle to scare people off? You must get lonely out here, the kobolds worship you but they don't really converse with you, huh?" Denair scuttles up the guardian and looks at it in the eye.

"What can I-we do to help you? I know we have to get the Sharrowsmith guy here out but you need help, too!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Phew, glad I didn't roll a 1 there.

Meredith is surprised with Denair's initiative, but ultimately agrees with her sincerity. Besides, it just felt right.

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 3 | AC: 18/14/14 | HP: 23/23 | Fort +2, Ref +7 (+1 vs traps), Will +0 | CMB +2, CMD 16 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

"That's so... sad." Laiashi looks from the Guardian to the last mural. "I'm sure there are dwarves in the Society who would be very interested in repopulating this place. If you like."

-Posted with Wayfinder

Grand Lodge

Male Oread Sacred Fist Warpriest 2/Monk 2 | AC: 19/17/18| HP: 33/33 | Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +10 | CMB +7, CMD 24 | Init +1 | Perc +10 & Darkvision

How did you go from working with the might and noble dwarves to protecting these creatures? Dolomite asks, indicating the kobolds.

Sovereign Court

PFS#119796-1|Male Human Cavalier (Emissary) 4 | HP: 36/36 | AC: 17/12/15 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +3 | Will: +4 | Init: +2 | Diplo: +12 | Handle Animal: +11 | Perc: +2 | Ride: +6 | SM: +9

"It is a very interesting story.", Willem agrees. "It seems the dwarves have no interest in returning, but these kobolds, if led properly, could live in harmony with the gillmen and the settlers in these parts. I would gladly put forth word to have sent an envoy to make such a thing happen."

Aid Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

801 to 828 of 828 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS] GM Mjolbeard's 'Scions of the Sky Key' Series All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.