Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

PFS First Steps by Xzaral (Inactive)

Game Master Xzaral

The First Steps PFS Modules


201 to 250 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Male Human Knife Master

Jiece scowls and looks around for another route. Not seeing one immediately in sight and letting his impatience get the best of him, he pulls the wooden wand from his hip and gives it a once-over. "Maybe this damn thing has something to do with it." Flipping it around in his hand, he aims the (Not sure what it looks like entirely so we'll say pointy end?) and says a few select words of arcanum that he picked up in his lifetime.

GM:

Use Magic Device - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Jiece brings out the slender wand and attempts to activate it, but to no effect.


Daniel is impressed by his companions' prowess in problem-solving, but he begins to feel something's going wrong.
"We've got what we came for, don't we? I think we'd best leave the last chest alone. For all we know, it can only be another trap or decoy to stop us from getting to the map. Now that we have it, we just need to open up the door. Could this wand be used to open it? Maybe we just need to touch the door with it?"
Daniel doesn't know that the last chest is an illusion, and he doesn't know much about arcane magic, to him it's almost exclusively fairy tale/mad scientist stuff.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

I'm thinking it wasn't clear (more like assumed people would expect it, which I guess I know what that makes me) but the door itself does have a keyhole on it. Also everyone can choose to make a will save (with a +4 bonus on it) against the chest now.


Male Human Knife Master

Yeah, see, I had no clue on that. Thought it was a secret sliding door that the servant showed us.

Jiece curses under his breath and whispers a few more words of arcanum. When nothing happens again, Jiece pulls his kit out and takes his time going to work, with dedication he works the tumblers of the lock into place to unlatch the door.

GM:

Use Magic Device - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Disable Device (Taking 10) - 10 + 9 = 19


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

While the wand continues to elude Jiece, the tumblers in the door are another matter. The door easily unlocks and opens, revealing upon the other side the servant who had brought you forth. Seeing the door swing open, he silently beckons for you all to follow him.


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece glances at the servant and scowls. "Given the fact that you've probably been silently waiting this entire time, I'd like a word or two with you later ... preferably at the tip of a dagger." Jiece continues to rant knowing full well there'd be no response from the servant. He was more or less emptying his frustrations into the man. "Hell, at this point, I know it was a damn test of yours, but I'd seriously love nothing more than to just... Ah, screw it. You Osiriani are an annoying bunch. Here's your damn map. I'm keeping the rest as collateral."


Daniel nudges Jiece slightly and whispers "I think we were supposed to bring the map back to the venture-captain. And they still need to sign us a charter to explore the vault."


Male Human Knife Master

"Were those our orders?" Jiece sighs. "Fine. Here's everything. You lot figure out what we need and what we don't." Jiece hands the stuff over to Daniel whilst keeping the wand. "I plan on figuring this damn thing out still though."


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

As you all begin to follow, the servant speaks for the first time. "Good work all on solving all the puzzles. As a reward you can keep the map and the wand. As far as the wand, if you like I can tell you it's function, or allow you the fun of figuring it out. Entirely your call. Either way, as you have procured what was requested, I shall escort you out. Once again, good work."


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece pats the wand at his left hip and nods. "The function would be nice. I'm keen on a few magical knick-knacks, but none of the words I remember from the mages I've procured items from activated this thing." Jiece followed the servant to the door and, as they exited, he looked back to the man. "I didn't actually mean it when I said I was going to kill you, y'know? You're a stand-up guy. You just had the bad luck of being born Osiriani."

GM:

Jiece doesn't actually know or, better yet, care if the guy is Osiriani or not. And Jiece doesn't really have any personal hatred towards Osiriani. He's just the lovable rogue being the lovable rogue if you know what I mean.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

The servant smiles, seemingly unfazed by your comments. "No offense taken, I assure you. As far as the wand, it can open locks with but a word. A handy tool, though it's strength is lessening."

Wand of Knock, CL 3, 11 charges.


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece chuckles and smiles as he pats the wand. "Ha! A good ol' wand of Knock. I've used a few of these in my time. It'd figure that'd be the only command word I didn't try." Jiece ensures the wand is very secure to him as he turns to leave. "So where to from here, gentlemen? The Chelish girl or the Imp?"


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

You all have now been escorted out of the mansion by the servant. Back on the street, you have completed two of the tasks assigned. Where shall you all go now?


"To be honest, I'm not very keen on doing a loan shark's work. Perhaps we could try and get the books from the Pickled Imp first."


Male Human Knife Master

"The Imp it is," Jiece acknowl edges as he begins to work his way towards the destination of the Pickled Imp. He wasn't too keen on pointlessly waiting around unless he absolutely needed to. One vote was all he needed. Besides, at least this way, he could save the woman for last.

Grand Lodge

male human fighter/1

Follows with the rest of the group Did any one else want to become a pathfinder to figure out puzzles in mans basement, I mean really what was the point in all of that [i] Continues to grumble along the whole way.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Remember you can make Knowledge checks untrained if the DC is 10 or less.

Knowledge (local) DC 5:
Map of Absalom I've included a map of Absalom (probably should have earlier, but just thought about it). Just as an FYI you started in the Foreign Quarter, went to the Ascendant Court to meet with Ollystra, to Eastgate to talk to Auntie Baltwin, then to the Wise Quarter for the map. The Pickled Imp is in the Docks, while the other is in the Ivy District. Not trying to influence any decisions but just felt it was good to let you know the city layout.

Our group of adventurer's leave the mansion in the Wise Quarter and discuss their next move, deciding on heading to the The Pickled Imp.

Perception DC 15:
While leaving the mansion, you happen to glance across the street and see a hooded figure, sitting upon a barrel, seemingly watching your group with much interest. Before you can act, a carriage with a trail of servants passes the street between you and him. As the procession passes by, the hooded figure is gone.

Going to wait until at least 3 post with new information before moving on.


Knowledge (local): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (17) - 2 = 15
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18
NOW I get the good rolls :D
Daniel agrees with Arathorn. "Unfortunately, any service has much more routine than heroics. While I accept my duty, doesn't mean I have to always enjoy it."
He glances around the streets, happy to be out of the stuffy room, and an unpleasant feeling tingles his senses, as if someone stares at him. He does a double take, but sees nothing.
"Could they send someone to watch our progress? Unlikely. I have a bad feeling about this."
"Has anyone else noticed that hooded man across the street? He looked out of place, and now he's gone."

Andoran

Male Human Cavalier 1

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17
Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14

"I didn't see anyone," says Gerald, swinging himself up onto his camel.

Andoran

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13.

Jericho looks over in the direction Daniel indicated.

I see no one of interest. Let us be on our way.


Male Human Knife Master

Rolls:

Perception - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Glancing over, Jiece couldn't make anything out. He looked back to Daniel. "I don't see anything but everyone keep an eye out. This is Absalom after all. Wouldn't surprise me if we were being watched."


"Well, that's weird. Usually others warn me when I have my field of view narrowed down. I hope it's just the snake incident made me overly suspicious. Anyhow, let us be on our way."


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

You all head to The Pickled Imp in the Docks district. This creepy shop contains myriad odds and ends, most bereft of any discernible use. A number of malformed creatures and creature parts bob in jars on a long, prominent shelf, a tiny fetal devil centered in this macabre lineup. The shopkeeper, a greasy-haired Varisian with a thin mustache, shouts from behind the cluttered counter:

“Ah yes, I see the Pathfinders have arrived. I’m glad Ambrus was able to lend a few of his new recruits to help me. Please come in and let me tell you what I need.” Looking around as if to be absolutely certain no customers are browsing the aisles of knock-off Thuvian burial urns or supposed Azlanti porcelain, he begins again.

“Well met. I am Guaril Karela. A friend of mine has a warehouse near here and he received a parcel on behalf of me and some of my associates, but there’s a problem. See, Master Gelbane had to leave town in a hurry and our shipment is still waiting at his warehouse. Rumor is he ended up in trouble with the law and the place was seized. I heard tell from someone down at the docks that some creep was snooping around his warehouse just the other night, so I want to make sure nothing of mine was taken. He keeps all kinds of things, from beer to nails, in that old pelican, but every now and then he stores something really special. This is one of those cases.

“There’s a big crate marked with three crows arranged in a triangle. Inside that crate is a smaller container with a few books and papers in it. That’s the only parcel I’m interested in, and as far as I’m concerned, you can help yourself to the rest of the crate. Honestly, anything else you want in the place too. I’m sure the once things get sorted out, the city will seize most everything else anyway.

“My associates and I often work with the Pathfinders when it comes to special relics and documents, getting them in and out of ports and across borders where the authorities ask too many questions. Most people don’t realize what they have and frankly many don’t deserve to have it, so sometimes we help take the goods off their hands. If things work out well and you get this done, I’d be glad to talk with you more and help you out with any future endeavors, as long as you help me out too. I’m good at returning favors, trust me.”


As the man speaks, Daniel's frown gets more and more pronounced. He crosses his hands on his chest and regards the man appraisingly.
Detect Evil
When the man mentions cooperation with Pathfinders, Daniel is unable to suppress a 'harumph', but otherwise stays silent. He doesn't wish to bring out his judgement prematurely and wants to see what kind of response the man evokes in his companions.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Daniel:

You detect no evil in this man.

Andoran

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

So you want us to break into a warehouse that is under a legal sanction and to remove items from it?

Does the society not generally operate within the bounds of the law?


Male Human Knife Master

As a small grin crests his face, Jiece lifts his hand to Daniel's shoulder, respectfully placing it down in the sign of trust to the paladin. "Fear not, gentlemen," Jiece says as he removes his hand and steps towards Guaril. "You're with allies here and, Calistria willing, there is still honor among thieves." Jiece proffers the same hand he placed upon the Paladin to Guaril, extending favor to the Varisian. Throughout his speech, Jiece's eyes do not leave the man's. "And if honor should fail, well, that will give yet another resolute reason as to why we carry blades." To Guaril Karela, "I should pray a man like yourself prefers the former, Sir Guaril."


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Jericho and anyone else interested:

That's a difficult question to answer. The Pathfinder Society is a group of explorers and adventurers who do a variety of tasks, and is divided into 10 different factions of varying degrees and temperments. The Society itself doesn't necessarily sanction illegal actions, though some of it's actions (dependent on faction) have dubious legal backing. Does that help at all?

To Jericho

"Now now, friend, I am only asking that you retrieve what's been paid for before someone of differing moral perspectives decides to liberate it for their own personal gain. I doubt anyone will even notice."

To Jiece

"Of course, friend, though thieves is a harsh word, something I've been called for the prices of my exquisite goods." He gestures towards the goods in his store, then turns to the Daniel. "I can assure you, I'm just looking to protect my interests."


Daniel intervenes "If the warehouse was seized by law, doesn't it mean there are guardsmen around to keep the creeps at bay? How can we be sure it's not YOUR cargo that was the reason for locking it up in the first place? What if we spend a night outside the warehouse and detain that creep? Infiltrating a warded property is a criminal offence, you know."


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

A look of impatience crosses Guaril's face. "Look, look, feel free to examine the cargo before you bring it. By the time I go through all the proper channels, there will be too many opportunities for it to get stolen. Besides, don't you all have a 'duty' to Ambrus, he is the one who sent you here after all. Or are you so willing to set aside your 'duty'?" As he speaks, he attempts to usher you all out the door.

Andoran

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

Jericho allows this impatient little man to herd him out the door with the rest of his companions, giving him nothing but a very flat look. Once outside he glances around to see if anyone is near,

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17.

then turns to the rest of the group once he sees that no one is in a position to overhar,

Do you think we should commit this robbery, or should we return to Ambrus for guidance?

Sorry for the delay on my part, Jericho is not really much of a leader type.


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece ignores the lot of the group as he heads towards their predetermined destination. "The man states that he is simply having us retrieve what is already his to claim. The Society itself is not without guilt when it has come to such missions in the past. I, for one, plan to go through with this. If you do not wish to accompany me, then bow out, but don't for one second think to stop me. If, however, you want to come with me, I can provide you a simple enough reason to do so." Jiece smiles at this time and waves his arms in introduction of himself. "I am Jiece Dragonius, practitioner of the larcenous crafts. As your civic duty, you should attempt arrest of me, but you can only do so upon the commission of a crime deemed illicit by Absalom law. Since I have committed no such crime, to your knowledge," with a smirk "you cannot yet arrest me. In summary, you are simply following a suspected scoundrel in hope of finding evidence substantial enough to convict him." With his speech concluded, Jiece turns and works his way towards the Docks.


Daniel sighs.
"I am not here to police you, Jiece. I have sworn to fight evil and corruption, but when doing so one must always measure his actions so as not to overstep the boundaries of reason and conscience. In short - let's go and see what the man wanted from us; I sensed no evil in him, even though he's walking a thin line - and so are you."


Male Human Knife Master

With his now trademark smile Jiece turns to Daniel. "Then I should be glad I have someone such as yourself to turn me away from my sinful ways."


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

The group makes their way to the destination given them by Guaril. Perched on the end of a long pier fifteen feet above the water, the warehouse appears to struggle against its own roof, threatening to sag into the bay below. No light shines from the building’s windows and only the movement of gulls and pelicans stirs the scene.

Map of Pier


This whole breaking and entering thing not being his strong suit, Jericho stops on the pier near the boat and looks inside it. Square J9

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19.


Daniel is walking back and forth on the pier, on the lookout for trouble - any guards or bandits coming their way, while Jiece is working his magic on the door. "Do you reckon you'd be able to lock it back afterwards? I'd hate leaving the warehouse wide open for thieves."
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3


Male Human Knife Master

Taking his kit out, Jiece kneels to one knee and begins to work at the tumblers in the lock. "Shouldn't be too hard." He replies without looking up. Less than a minute after he kneels down, Jiece feels the click and lets the door swing wide. Slipping his tools back into his kit, he places it back in its rightful place and steps through, holding a hand up to his companions to wait a moment. "I'm going to make sure the coast is clear." Jiece crouches slightly and slides through the entryway, keeping to the shadows as he does.

Skill Checks:

Disable Device - 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Stealth - 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Perception - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Map of Pier

I've put up a map of the pier. You should be able to move your tokens around (please only move yours). Arathorn and Jericho, if you want to find an image for your Alias, please do so. Otherwise we can come up with something. I'm still new at this map thing, so if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations, let me know.

Jiece manages to easily open the lock on the door and get inside.

Jiece:
Darkness fills the warehouse, the ambient light from outside blocked by a filthy, oily film on the structure’s few windows. Darting illumination comes from light reflecting off the water through a splintered hole in the floor. Throughout the warehouse, crates, boxes, and barrels lean against each other in vaguely sorted stacks. A lingering smell indicates some of the contents are certainly spoiled.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Daniel:
Aside from the scattered fisherman or child at play, you see no one of note. No one seems to be paying you any attention.

Andoran

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

how do i make a portrait for a PFS character?


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Go to your account, for their character select edit, then click change image.

Andoran

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

Portrait Added


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece enters and searches around for anything important (to include shinies). He'll take as long as he has to (Taking 20).

Perception - 20 + 5 = 25


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

Pier and Warehouse

Darkness fills the warehouse, the ambient light from outside blocked by a filthy, oily film on the structure’s few windows. Darting illumination comes from light reflecting off the water through a splintered hole in the floor. Throughout the warehouse, crates, boxes, and barrels lean against each other in vaguely sorted stacks. A lingering smell indicates some of the contents are certainly spoiled.

I have since learned how to make the map editable by you all, so you can place your tokens as you see fit. I'll give until tomorrow night for people to move them, and then I'll respond to Jiece's search.


Male Demigawd Nerd 5, Dungeon Master 6, RPGA GM 2, PFS GM 1

A search of the warehouse reveals the crate you are all looking for to be at the center of a hole in the floor of the warehouse, teetering across two split planks. Caution will be needed.

As you search, a trio of dire rats, hostile at this encroachment upon their territory, come from around the crates to the north.

Inish Order
Jiece
Arathorn
Radig
Dire Rats
Gerald
Jericho
Daniel

Dice:

Jericho 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Radig 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Gerald 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Arathorn 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Daniel 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Jiece 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Dire Rats 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece pulls his rapier, stealthily moving in to engage the nearest rat whilst giving enough room for his companions to reach the enemy as well.

Rolls:

Attack Roll - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Damage Roll - 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Sneak Attack (if applicable) - 1d6 ⇒ 5
Stealth (unless you choose to use the one from before) - 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Andoran

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

Jericho will hang back letting his larger companions take the frontline. He will throw a javelin at the closest rat that is not in melee, or the closest if all are in melee.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8. -4 if throwing into melee.
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5.


Hearing the ruckus in the warehouse, Daniel abandons his watch and rushes in to check on his companions, drawing his sword. Upon noticing the rats, he presses his lips in disgust and advances, kicking the crates around as he goes to attract their attention.
Double move M7->Q6, circling around the crates

201 to 250 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PFS First Steps by Xzaral All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.