Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PFS First Steps by Xzaral (Inactive)

Game Master Xzaral

The First Steps PFS Modules


1 to 50 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

the Mythic

Newly inducted into the Pathfinder Society, the six of you have been told to meet with your Venture Captain, a man named Ambrus Valsin, at 8 in the morning at the Grand Lodge in the city of Absalom. If there are any tasks you want to perform before heading for the meeting, just let me know.

After being escorted through the lodge you meet with Venture Captain Ambrus Valsin. A stern man, he speaks with a voice that demands attention.

“All right, Pathfinders! Listen up. I know you are new recruits eager to make names for yourselves in the organization, but first we need to make sure you are up to snuff and won’t get yourself killed out there. I have a number of small assignments for you and your team, and it would be best if you could finish them before the day’s end.

Every day we get some doe-eyed hopeful or some sniveling bootlicker willing to do anything to join up with the Pathfinders. Most of them are good kids, but not all of them have the salt to make it in a world like this. It’s rough out there and I’m not just talking about the ruins, tombs,and wilderness Pathfinders find themselves in on missions. We’ve got people who look down their noses at us, folks who think we squander our resources, and agents who want to take everything we have collected. This wealth of knowledge and these items of lore make us the most powerful organization on the planet. That said, since we are fractured and widespread, it’s difficult for that power to light on anything for too long. For every friend of the Society, there are two enemies.

“Your first mission, to test your mettle and loyalties, sends you to meet a few people important to the Society living here in Absalom. These are other venture-captains or close allies of our organization, so follow their orders as you would mine. I’ve prepared a list of things I want you to do. They’re not arranged in any particular order of importance, but I want them all completed as quickly as possible. Only report to me once you complete them all. Included in the envelope you hold in your hands is the list, complete with the name of your contact, and directions to the meeting location.”

After his speech he hands you an envelope containing your instructions as well as directions and the name of your contact.

Assignment #17::

. A man named Guaril Karela runs a curio shop in the Docks called the Pickled Imp. Go to him and fill his request as a favor to the Society. I believe it has something to do with a set of rare books.

. Ollysta Zadrian requested aid and is expecting you at the Temple of the Shining Star in the Ascendant Court. She needs someone to deliver a parcel of medicine and curatives to a needy orphanage and verify the character of the recipient.

. Visit the offices of Osirian nobleman Dremdhet Salhar in the Wise Quarter. The Pathfinder Society needs to obtain permission to delve the Salhar ancestral vaults beneath Sothis. He has made a verbal agreement, and your visit makes it official. You will receive an official charter and detailed maps. Do not embarrass the Society in this matter.

. Chelish Paracountess Zarta Dralneen possesses an item loaned from the Vaults. Meet with her in her estate in the Ivy District and retrieve the item in her possession.


Dotting to follow along as I do the same mission. Don't mind me...

The Exchange

Male Humanoidish Yahoo 4/Painlord 6/Punk 2/Cleric of Happiness & Sunshine 1

Dotting as well for my own evil and nefarious reasons. Mwhahahaha.

Grand Lodge

male human fighter/1

Looks at the captin and bows gracefully, You can be sure that we will not fail sir, consider them done. bowing again before turning to leave with my comrades So which task do we do first? I think we should accomplish this in the fastest way possible. Showing the letter to everyone


Daniel listens to the venture-captain's speech without moving, standing upright, his freshly polished armor gleaming in the candlelight. As he receives his envelope, he salutes the venture-captain.
Thank you for the faith you've put in me, sir! I'll prove I'm worthy of being one of you, sir! The lines come out awkwardly because of the excitement.

Daniel is one of the first to open the envelope, and he lights up at the mention of a temple and an orphanage.
We cannot possibly delay the help to the poor orphans! The books and the nobles can take their time, but we must strive to ease the poor souls' suffering!

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

By your word, Captain. Jericho gives a slight bow to the Venture-Captain

Looking the paper over, he says, I agree with Sir Von Dorn, let us aid the needy first.

Grand Lodge

male human fighter/1

That is agreeable to me dorn, the children should come first, and we have to accomplish all of them anyway so where is the harm in doing this one first. quickly looking around to my other compatriates to see if they agree, or have another idea.

Dark Archive

Male Dwarf Fighter/1

It matters not to me what we do first. Radig says rather grumpily and while preening his long mustache. Come, let us make haste.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

Very well. With another slight bow to the Venture-Captain, Jericho heads for the door.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cavalier 1

I too agree with the justness of Sir Von Dorn's suggestion. Without a moment of pause, Gerald is out the door and astride his camel.

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

Giving Jiece a chance to respond before moving on.


Male Human Knife Master

(Been road-tripping all day. In a hotel now. Sorry.)

Jiece nodded solemnly as he listens to the Venture-Captain relay the information to them. Taking into account what the others in his party were voting for, he kept his own ideas of what they should do to himself and went with the consensus instead. If he needed to speak up, he would. "Children are our future, are they not?" He replied dryly as he followed his companions onward to their first task of the day. "Though I don't think I can sound nearly as enthusiastic as Dorn over there."

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

Havind decided to help the orphans first, the instructions inform you that your contact is Ollysta Zadrian at the Temple of the Shining Star. Arriving at the temple a meeting is quickly setup with the young paladin.

"Thank the light of Sarenrae you have arrived! I knew Ambrus would come through for us in the Silver Crusade. I desperately need you to bring medicine to an orphanage let me know if the headmistress, Gilga Baltwin, is deserving of our charity. Since our quest began, the needy have clamored for our aid, and I suspect some are abusing our generosity. It may sound cruel, but there are plenty of dishonest people out in the world eager for easy gold.

"Do you know of the Silver Crusade? After discovering so many factions splintered the Society, a number of us banded together to proliferate the cause of charity and kindness using the Society's resources. As it is said, 'The Dawn brings new light' and I've made it my life's work to use our recent darkness to bring a new light to the world and to the Pathfinder Society.

"I apologize for straying off point. Will you bring this parcel of medicine to Auntie Baltwin's Home for Recovery in the Eastgate district?"

If you have any questions you would like to ask Ollysta, this is your chance. If you would like to do anything before or after heading to the Temple, let me know.

Grand Lodge

male human fighter/1

of course we will bribg it but please do tell what reason if any do you have to doubt the care taker of the orphanage?
Taking a quick look at my other pathfinders to see if any feel thier tounge is more silver than my own.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

Certainly we will. Do you have any specific suspicions about Gilga Baltwin?

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

"There will always be rumors surrounding any charitable effort, so I don't have any specific suspicions, and I don't want to cloud your own observations with third party information. You can ask around the shops near the orphanage, I'm sure they'll be better sources."

Dark Archive

Male Dwarf Fighter/1

Aye... leave it up to us. Still preening his awesome mustache, I'm a great judge of character.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cavalier 1

You bring up an interesting point, Ollystra. However, if we are to judge any and all "charitable efforts," as you put it, with a skeptical eye, this places you under suspicion as well. Gerald manages his most genteel smile. I mean no offense, of course. I am simply pointing out a fallacy within your argument. Nevertheless, I will observe Gilga with a healthy level of scrutiny.


Daniel frowns at Gerald. "You make no distinction between those who fund charities and those who operate those funds, and then talk about fallacies. Receiving income always presents a temptation to misuse it. Giving, on the contrary, is a form of sacrifice and a purifying act."

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

"I would not ask others to scrutinize for possible deception if I was not prepared to face such scrutinization myself. The work of the Silver Crusade is great, and there are those would spread false rumors to discredit our organization. I would offer you to ask around not only the town, but to where the Silver Crusade has become known and you will see the good we have done.

And it's because of this very willingness to stand in the face of corruption that I need this task performed. If there is some ill doing in the name of the Silver Crusade it must be stopped. Does that sufficiently address your concerns for this task, Gerald?"

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cavalier 1

Absolutely. I trust you and your pursuits, I was simply trying to point out that it is easy to become overly suspicious. However, I do believe that an organization that is foremost concerned with helping other would be an ideal hiding place for those who would abuse its power. I see that you have great wisdom in not discounting the possibility of dishonesty within the Silver Crusade, and I think it noble of you to desire it be brought into the light, if present. Gerald turns to Daniel. I tip my hat to you. You have bested me in the way of discourse, and I bend to your words. I spoke too harshly.


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece scowls a bit as he listens to the conversation unfold, but admits to himself that its probably better if he runs with the group. When in doubt, it never hurts to have someone nearby to help you out of whatever trouble you're in. "Asking around doesn't seem to be too bad of an idea. I think I'll take a look around some of these shops and see what others have to say about things." He says as he slips by Gerald, muttering quietly enough for the Cavalier to hear, but as loud enough for his next words to be overheard. "I trust my own judgment as opposed to that of the idealistically impaired." If anyone took offense to it, it was obvious Jiece didn't care.

Knowledge: Local 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

Before I resolve the checks, are you traveling as a group or splitting up looking for information?

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

I will be traveling with the group.

Dark Archive

Male Dwarf Fighter/1

I'd rather stay with the group.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cavalier 1

I suggest staying together, or splitting into two groups, but no more.


I feel obliged to point out that my "idealistic impairement" might present trouble with regards to which sources of information might be available. As long as some more chaotically-inclined members of the group can disappear for private conversations silently, it shouldn't be a problem. But as a paladin, I will have to stand up against any shady dealings done in my presence.


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece is inclined to stay with at least one other, but his personal code will leave him at odds with the more lawfully-aligned. He will be keen to point out that the paladin is just as capable of walking off as he is. This is nothing personal, but he's critical until trust is earned.

Jiece comes to a halt inches from the door and looks to the rest of his companions. "Anyone coming with me or shall the rest of you just stand around while us adults take care of all necessary business?" The amber-tint of his eyes rested on Gerald for a moment. He gauged the Cavalier to be more cooperative than the others in the group, but he hadn't traveled with them long enough to make the decision. Yet...

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

Since there's enough consensus as traveling as a group, I'll go ahead with the first roll. If Arathorn wants to roll separately, I'll let him.

Thinking on the area, Jiece remembers there is a market nearby Gilga Baltwin's orphanage. Entering the market an older gentleman, whom Jiece recalls is named Miltivis. A good natured fellow, he greets you all as you walk in. "Good morning to ya, gents. How can I help ya today?"

Does anyone not go in?


Male Human Knife Master

Walking into Miltivis' shop, Jiece gives a curt nod as he steps up. Without skipping a beat, Jiece looks to the man and smiles. "Miltivis, you old dog, how's life been treating you as of late?" Jiece, having shopped with Miltivis off and on for years, offers his hand in a friendly greeting. "You know I speak straight with you, old man, so I'm hoping you'll do the same with me today. What can you tell me about Auntie Baltwin and her orphans?"

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

"Tell ya? About 3 decades worth of doin' business with her. She's a demanding old biddy, and rude with the other customer's when she comes in. But she's kept my whiskey supplier in business, that's for sure. Somethin' didn't happen to her, did it?"

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

Jericho will remain silent and allow the more socially inclined of his companions do the talking.

Grand Lodge

male human fighter/1

Whisky supplier? How much of the creature does she partake of looking at the shpkeep quizically.

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

"More than you'd think a woman her age could handle, I tell ya. Certainly a woman I wouldn't want to get in a drinking contest with."

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cavalier 1

What other products does she commonly purchase? Also, could you give an example of her rudeness to the other customers?

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

"Oh, what you'd expect. Mostly food, clothing."

Dark Archive

Male Dwarf Fighter/1

So the woman likes her drink. Who doesn't enjoy a drink from time to time. Searching through his pockets. As a matter of fact, I could do with a bottle meself


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece smirks a bit at his Dwarven companion's train of thought. Slipping a finger into his belt pouch, he works a gold coin from its depths and flicks it to Miltivis. "Give Sir Radig his desire, old man, and keep any change for yourself." Listening on, Jiece does his best to process the information being fed them in order to better utilize it later on if he should need to.

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

"Here's your bottle, and thank you." Miltivis palms the coin as he hands you the whiskey. "As far as her comments go, well, she's old. Anything she dreams up. People are too young, too slow to place an order, shouldn't buy this, should buy that. A lifetime of complaining, so she's skilled at it, doesn't matter what you do, you're wrong." Miltivis gives a small chuckle.

Grand Lodge

male human fighter/1

Seems she is a bit crotchty but not nefarious, other than the amount of alcohol she inbibes it seems normal enough looking around at his companions for thier opinion.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cavalier 1

I feel it's worth noting that she may not be drinking all of it. She may have a drinking partner or two, and there are alternate uses for alcohol. Gerald takes particular care in glancing at Radig and Jiece, believing them to be knowledgeable on the topic.


Daniel, who was silent throughout the alcohol conversation, suddenly asked in a non-sequitur manner:
Incidentally, do you have some sweets for sale? Or should I look for them elsewhere on the market?


Male Human Knife Master

Jiece smirks at Gerald's comment about the 'alternative uses for alcohol' and recalls a few of his more inventive moments from the past. Snapping quickly out of it, he cuts his compatriots off, stepping forward. "I don't know what the rest of you think, but I say that basing the rest of this on conjecture is something less productive than actually going to see the old hag. Let's see what bit of the rumors we can substantiate." He falls silent after his speech and looks to the rest of the group to see their take on his idea.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Cavalier 1

That seems a fine idea to me. Once Daniel finishes buying a gift for the children, we can head to the orphanage, says Gerald with a wide grin at the paladin. You continue to impress me, Sir.

Dark Archive

Male Dwarf Fighter/1

Finally some action. I grew weary of all this talking

Silver Crusade

the Mythic

"There's a baker just two blocks over that could fit you right up, don't have too much here. Let her know it's for the kiddies and she'll give ya a good price too."

Grand Lodge

male human fighter/1

Yes lets be off after daniel finishes eager to be off to see the caretaker of the orphanage.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Alchemist 2 [hp 20/20] [AC 16, touch 13 flat-footed 13] [Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1] [Perception +5]

Thank you sir, for your help. Jericho heads to the door, and waits patiently outside for his companions to be ready.


"Thank you sir, you are most kind. I will head to the bakery at once."
Daniel buys about a dozen of buns and sweet rolls before returning to the shop entrance.

Dark Archive

Male Dwarf Fighter/1

Aye... let's make haste

1 to 50 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PFS First Steps by Xzaral All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.