Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

[PFS] 1-39: Citidel of Flame (Roving Dachshund)

Game Master Andrew Harasty

[PFS]1-39: Citadel of Flame

Citadel of Flame Maps


1 to 50 of 207 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

Starting placeholder

The Exchange

Male Oread Inquisitor lvl 2 21/21 hp, AC 18 (FF 16, Tch 12 ), Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6, Perception +7, initiative +10 Move speed 15 feet, Main weapon MW Greatsword 2H +5 2d6+4, Profession Miner +6, Knowledges: Dungeoneering, Planes, Arcana, Religion +3

Dot

Scarab Sages

hp 15/15 | Ac 18 T 14 FF 15 | Init +3 | Fort +1 Ref+5 Will +2 | Perception +4 | Ray 4/6 | Spells 2/4 | Reroll 1/1

In the shadows a grippli is watching and waiting

The Exchange

Female Tian-Xian Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)/2 (HP 18/18 | AC:17 T:13 FF:14 | CMB:+2 CMD:15 | F:+1 R:+6 W:+0 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Low-light vision | Move:30ft) Mwk Rapier +7 (1d6+3/18-20x2) Panache 4/4 DL 3/3 CL 2/3
Skills:
Acro +9 Bluff +7 Climb +4 Diplomacy +7 EA +7 Intim +8 Knowledge (Local +5) Perc +4 Perform (Dance) +7 Ride +7 SM +0 SoH +7 Stealth +3 Swim +4

A lithe young woman in a rakish purple hat stands nearby, casually tossing and catching a switchblade knife.

Perception DC15:

Her facial features mark her as one of the shapeshifting fox-people, the kitsune.

She has an air of quiet confidence about her.

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

While you are still settling, a sturdy gentleman enters the room with little fanfare.

Hamshanks ignored all pretense of pleasantries as he pounded into the meeting room in the Grand Lodge in Absalom. “Never time to do it right, is there? Gorum see us through this, then.” He grunted loudly and leveled his glare at the entire room. “Ever been to Qadira? Religion is almost a fad down there, with new cults springing up like weeds and getting crushed just as quickly. It has been that way for centuries.

“But some make a mark—on Qadira or in the Chronicles. Three centuries ago, the archdevil Moloch, preaching surrender to the desert heat, suddenly became the rage. Qadirans walked into the desert just to die just as if the heat was their paradise. The most devout sought out the hidden Citadel of Flame, where a fearsome bull-headed idol of Moloch judged them and sent the worthy to Malebolge, the sixth layer of Hell. No surprise that Sarenrae’s priests launched a mighty crusade to demolish the citadel. After two weeks, a great sandstorm swallowed the expedition—and, it seemed, the citadel and its idol. Nothing more was heard from either.

“Until ten days ago, that is. Sandstorms regularly scour the Qadiran highlands, and this time they emptied an entire valley of dunes. Poking out of that valley, visible only to those soaring above—such as a flying Pathfinder wizard—was the lofty spire of a fortress: the Citadel of Flame, presumably.

“Hopefully we are the first to learn about its reappearance and we need to act fast. The Decemvirate doesn’t expect any trouble, so they’re sending you. But I do expect trouble—who knows what’s infesting that citadel? Get in there fast and find that idol—it could be the key to the entire cult. It’s likely statue-sized, maybe as big as me, and should have a bull’s head on it. And for Gorum’s sake be careful.”

Hamshanks, waits impatiently for you to leave, but knows that agents always have questions.

Feel free to ask any questions. You may also take this time for any last minute purchases before your trip.

Scarab Sages

Female Half-orc Monk 1 | HP: 9/9 | AC 19* (T14, FF 17*) | CMB: +3 CMD: 15 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+4 (+2 vs. hot weather) | Init +2 | Perc +6, SM +2, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Orc Ferocity: 1/1, Stunning Fist: 0/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour (1 hour)

A solidly built half-orc woman stands still and stoic during Hamshanks' mission briefing. Her pale green skin is tattooed with strange sigils. She wears her long black hair tied back, has rather large teeth protruding from her mouth and a pair of large claws piercing her earlobes like earrings. She wears light clothing, no armour, and bears only a dagger and a sling for weapons.

As the briefing comes to an end she speaks for the first time, her teeth and her foreign accent make her a tad bit difficult to understand.

"Who is the Archdevil Moloch?" she asks seriously.

"Where is the Citadel of Flame?"

"How will we be travelling there?"

Anyone who's familiar with the region can tell from her accent she's Osiriani.

The Exchange

Male Oread Inquisitor lvl 2 21/21 hp, AC 18 (FF 16, Tch 12 ), Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6, Perception +7, initiative +10 Move speed 15 feet, Main weapon MW Greatsword 2H +5 2d6+4, Profession Miner +6, Knowledges: Dungeoneering, Planes, Arcana, Religion +3

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Naseem looks about the room at the oddball assortment of adventurers gathered in the room. One appears to look like walking bullfrog, another seems human, but something is clearly almost animistic about her.

Not to mention the two more half orcs, one heavily armored, the other wearing some ragged robes. Aside from the venture captain, only one person in the room could pass for a common man.

When I was young, I was bullied for looking different. I can't imagine how those kids would've treated assortment of beings. Thank Gorum this mission doesn't require discretion, this crew would be drawing stares in nearly any civilized place on Golarian.

After pondering the makeup of the group and listening to the briefing, Naseem speaks up.

This place sounds miserably hot and unpleasant. I'm planning to buy some fire-ward gel, liquid Ice and a hot weather outfit. Anything else that you can suggest we do to prepare ourselves?

total cost of 192 gold. Liquid is basically alchemist fire but with cold damage. Fire Ward Gel is stuff that gives you 20 points of protection from Energy, in this case fire.

EDIT: I am buying this stuff before we leave Absalom, in case that wasn't clear.

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

Hamshanks responds reluctantly.

"Yes Archdevil, of the Malebolge and so-called 'God of Fires.' Had quite a following in Qadira, especially in Sedeq and Dimayen. This discovery is outside Sedaq in the southern portions of Qadira. The Society will be funding your travel to Segad, and you will need to travel from there a few days in to the desert."

Others can make a Knowledge history, religion, or planes to remember other facts about the Cult of Moloch

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Paladin 1 AC 16 {T:11/FF:15} HP 13/13 Init+1, Perception -1 / Fort +4, Reflex +1, Will +1

Sigh...no knowledges.

"What if the Sarenrites catch word of this and try and bar our entrance? I mean, we are on the same side...for the most part."

The Exchange

Male Oread Inquisitor lvl 2 21/21 hp, AC 18 (FF 16, Tch 12 ), Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6, Perception +7, initiative +10 Move speed 15 feet, Main weapon MW Greatsword 2H +5 2d6+4, Profession Miner +6, Knowledges: Dungeoneering, Planes, Arcana, Religion +3

Naseem attempts to recall if he's heard anything about the Cult of Moloch.

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

History of the Cult of Moloch

Three hundred years ago, during one of the fiercest heat waves ever recorded on the long rolls of the Padishah Emperor, the cult of Moloch, archdevil of Malebolge and so-called God of Fires, spread honeyed words through the many markets of Sedeq and Dimayen and the small towns in between.

The cult of Moloch argued that the heat itself was holy, a landmark guiding Qadira to paradise, but in truth they were encouraging their fellow Qadirans to risk the desert’s heat so that hundreds would die and the leaders of Moloch’s cult could claim to their god that they had made a great sacrif ice for him. Soon many Qadirans trekked alone into the
dunes, giving their lives to the inimitable desert, and young Qadiran lovers immolated themselves in the hopes of reuniting in the f iery paradise beyond. All of these events increased the Moloch cult’s power in the eyes of the archdevil of Malebolge.

This upstart cult and its devil god, seducing the faithful from the Dawnflower, infuriated Sarenrae’s dervishes. With much fanfare, they launched a crusade into the Meraz, seeking to destroy the Citadel of Flame and the cult within. Weeks later, the greatest sandstorm of the century scoured the desert, and the heat finally broke. Sarenrae’s expedition never returned and the cult of Moloch fell silent.

Legend also holds that the Citadel itself bound its pilgrims even more tightly through some ritual or ceremony.

--------

"At this point we are the only ones aware of this, so time is of the essence. You may want to be respectful of any Sarenrae remains you do find. We tend to stay on good terms with the Dervishes."

Scarab Sages

Female Half-orc Monk 1 | HP: 9/9 | AC 19* (T14, FF 17*) | CMB: +3 CMD: 15 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+4 (+2 vs. hot weather) | Init +2 | Perc +6, SM +2, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Orc Ferocity: 1/1, Stunning Fist: 0/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour (1 hour)

"Understood," Kenza replies. "I am prepared to fulfill my duties for the Society."

She seems ready to go.

Scarab Sages

hp 15/15 | Ac 18 T 14 FF 15 | Init +3 | Fort +1 Ref+5 Will +2 | Perception +4 | Ray 4/6 | Spells 2/4 | Reroll 1/1

”Seems straightforward, so it probably it is not...” Quon adds before he goes to do some shopping

Hot weather outfit and wand of endure elements for 8 gp plus 2PP

Grand Lodge

Human CG human Magus 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 T: 11 FF: 14 CMD: 14 | F +4 R +1 W +3 | Init +7 | Perc +2 | Arcane pool +1 5/5

Cork stands up when the VC finishes his announcement. "So we're headed to the desert huh?" He straightens his jacket and adjusts the belt holding his cutlass. "Being a sailor, well, ex-sailor, I'm more comfortable with water. But, you know? You have to do what they ask you to do." He tips an imaginary hat towards Hamshanks then looks to the rest of his group.

"So I guess we should stock our hold and get ready to go. By the way, when are we leaving? Oh. One more thing. Could I stop and get a couple magic items before we go?"

Magic weapon scroll for ??gp. Wand of Endure Elements for 2pp. Ok?

The Exchange

Female Tian-Xian Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)/2 (HP 18/18 | AC:17 T:13 FF:14 | CMB:+2 CMD:15 | F:+1 R:+6 W:+0 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Low-light vision | Move:30ft) Mwk Rapier +7 (1d6+3/18-20x2) Panache 4/4 DL 3/3 CL 2/3
Skills:
Acro +9 Bluff +7 Climb +4 Diplomacy +7 EA +7 Intim +8 Knowledge (Local +5) Perc +4 Perform (Dance) +7 Ride +7 SM +0 SoH +7 Stealth +3 Swim +4

Jinny wishes to purchase two vials of Liquid Ice for 80gp total, and call in a favor (2 Prestige Points) for a Wand of CLW.

Let's go! Adventure awaits!

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

With your purchases made to board the ship to Qadira.

Scroll of magic weapon is 25gp

Now, after a swift voyage to Sedeq and a tiring trek through the endless Qadiran dunes, the sun beats down on a maze of red slickstone, with delicate arches and towering columns called hoodoos dotting the landscape. Somewhere within this expanse lies the Citadel of Flame and within, the idol of Moloch.

The path descends through a maze of cliffs, opening into a slot canyon of smooth red stone surrounded by towering hoodoos. At the far side, two hoodoos carved into enormous bull-headed men leer down on the canyon, while those nearby look like stylized flames. To either side, the canyon walls rise steeply in a series of rough ledges to the clifftops above. Brass doors on a massive wall of baked gray mud can be seen through an arch at the far side of the canyon.

go ahead and place yourselves on the first map.

The bull-headed statues leer down on the valley while the flame-carved hoodoos rise gracefully far above the canyon floor. The arch at the east end of the canyon has a multitude of faint runes carved on its front.

Perception, knowledge (planes), and survival checks can be made to survey the area.

The Exchange

Female Tian-Xian Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)/2 (HP 18/18 | AC:17 T:13 FF:14 | CMB:+2 CMD:15 | F:+1 R:+6 W:+0 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Low-light vision | Move:30ft) Mwk Rapier +7 (1d6+3/18-20x2) Panache 4/4 DL 3/3 CL 2/3
Skills:
Acro +9 Bluff +7 Climb +4 Diplomacy +7 EA +7 Intim +8 Knowledge (Local +5) Perc +4 Perform (Dance) +7 Ride +7 SM +0 SoH +7 Stealth +3 Swim +4

Jinny is happy to take the lead into the canyon, marveling silently at the architecture and geology. She draws her rapier slowly and silently, aware that she may be watched by unseen foes.

For anyone else ignorant of such things: what is a hoodoo? Today I Learned.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

The Exchange

Male Oread Inquisitor lvl 2 21/21 hp, AC 18 (FF 16, Tch 12 ), Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6, Perception +7, initiative +10 Move speed 15 feet, Main weapon MW Greatsword 2H +5 2d6+4, Profession Miner +6, Knowledges: Dungeoneering, Planes, Arcana, Religion +3

Naseem nods approvingly at the boldness displayed by his fellow pathfinder.

Gorum would approve of your boldness. He bellows ahead. Let's push forward and find this idol!!

He strides forward confidently and surveys the area around the canyon, taking particular note of the bull headed statues.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Scarab Sages

Female Half-orc Monk 1 | HP: 9/9 | AC 19* (T14, FF 17*) | CMB: +3 CMD: 15 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+4 (+2 vs. hot weather) | Init +2 | Perc +6, SM +2, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Orc Ferocity: 1/1, Stunning Fist: 0/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour (1 hour)

Kenza is also one of the first into the canyon. She eyes her surroundings calmly, hands empty, step light.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Survival: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Untrained Planes: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Grand Lodge

Human CG human Magus 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 T: 11 FF: 14 CMD: 14 | F +4 R +1 W +3 | Init +7 | Perc +2 | Arcane pool +1 5/5

Knowledge(planes): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Cork trudges along with the rest until they finally enter the canyon. He glances at the towering hoodoos and cliffs. "This is rather impressive," he says appreciatively. But at the same time he is wary of danger. He draws his cutlass. He also casts detect magic in the direction of the large brass doors.

Scarab Sages

hp 15/15 | Ac 18 T 14 FF 15 | Init +3 | Fort +1 Ref+5 Will +2 | Perception +4 | Ray 4/6 | Spells 2/4 | Reroll 1/1

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9

"These rocky spires are impressive!" Quon says while he follows Jinny's example and draws his sword

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

Moving into the box canyon, the following is determined:

Knowledge (planes) DC 15:

There is definitely some type of fire elemental activity in the area

Stonecunning:

Several of these glyphs were carved recently

Desiccated corpses are also seen among the hoodoos. As well as erupting flames that take on lives of their own.

Two small fire elementals emerge from the hoodoos but you are ready as they approach.

The non-clear areas are difficult terrain

Initiative
Init, Naseem: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Init, Korum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Init, Cork: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Init, Kenza: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Init, Quon: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Init, Jinhong: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Init Elemental Purple: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Init Elemental Green: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

ROUND 1

The "green" elemental moves on up next to Naseem and attempts to slam him.

Slam Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Slam Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4
Naseem Reflex Sv: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Although solidly hitting, Naseem avoids being set on fire by the creature.

Jinhong and Quon are up before the other elemental moves

The Exchange

Female Tian-Xian Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)/2 (HP 18/18 | AC:17 T:13 FF:14 | CMB:+2 CMD:15 | F:+1 R:+6 W:+0 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Low-light vision | Move:30ft) Mwk Rapier +7 (1d6+3/18-20x2) Panache 4/4 DL 3/3 CL 2/3
Skills:
Acro +9 Bluff +7 Climb +4 Diplomacy +7 EA +7 Intim +8 Knowledge (Local +5) Perc +4 Perform (Dance) +7 Ride +7 SM +0 SoH +7 Stealth +3 Swim +4

Jinny advances near cork and awaits the purplish elemental, blade ready.

Readied action on enemy within melee range:

Rapier: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19 Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

The Purple-ish elemental takes the bait and quickly moves towards Jinhong, however she is ready and soundly slices at the elemental before it attacks.

Slam Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

But put off balanced by the swashbuckler's quick strike the fire elemental misses.

Everyone else is up. Quon's action will happen before Purple, if it needs to

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Paladin 1 AC 16 {T:11/FF:15} HP 13/13 Init+1, Perception -1 / Fort +4, Reflex +1, Will +1

Korum races up to support The Crimson Fox.

Double move

Grand Lodge

Human CG human Magus 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 T: 11 FF: 14 CMD: 14 | F +4 R +1 W +3 | Init +7 | Perc +2 | Arcane pool +1 5/5

Cork steps towards the elemental near Jinhong. He strikes at the elemental with the cutlass in his right hand and at the same time blasts a ray of frost from his left hand.

cutlass@purple,spellstrike: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 3 - 2 = 20
confirm crit?: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 3 - 2 = 8
damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

ray of frost@purple: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
damage: 1d3 ⇒ 2

cast defensively: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 DC 16, I think

The Exchange

Male Oread Inquisitor lvl 2 21/21 hp, AC 18 (FF 16, Tch 12 ), Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6, Perception +7, initiative +10 Move speed 15 feet, Main weapon MW Greatsword 2H +5 2d6+4, Profession Miner +6, Knowledges: Dungeoneering, Planes, Arcana, Religion +3

Blasted Fire Elementals! They must be all over the place here! I'll extinguish you worthless monsters for the glory of Gorum! Naseem bellows>

Everyone is welcome to read the knowledge check, although the info contained was an 'O RLY?' moment for me, lol

Naseem pulls out his greatsword, takes a slash at the creatures, then sidesteps to get a better angle.

Draw Greatsword, attack and 5 ft step

2H Greatsword attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
2H Greatsword Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 3) + 4 = 13

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

Cork's swing hits but he gets too distracted to get his spell off, however, the damage from the cutlass is still enough to disperse the small elemental.

Naseem swings but the small elemental easily ducks under the Oread's blade.

Quon and Kenza are still up before "green" goes again

Scarab Sages

Female Half-orc Monk 1 | HP: 9/9 | AC 19* (T14, FF 17*) | CMB: +3 CMD: 15 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+4 (+2 vs. hot weather) | Init +2 | Perc +6, SM +2, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Orc Ferocity: 1/1, Stunning Fist: 0/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour (1 hour)

Kenza dashes forward and strikes at the remaining fire elemental with a fierce punch.

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Scarab Sages

hp 15/15 | Ac 18 T 14 FF 15 | Init +3 | Fort +1 Ref+5 Will +2 | Perception +4 | Ray 4/6 | Spells 2/4 | Reroll 1/1

Quon steps forward and slashes at the last elemental, his wakizashi doing only minor damage

Wakizashi Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Damage: 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0 = 1 nonlethal

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

Quon and Kenza both step up and strike, Quon hits lightly. Kenza swings but the heat of elemental causes her to pull back before connecting. Hitting a fire elemental with a bare hand may be a bad idea.

Kenza missed the AC, but also realized that hitting a fire elemental with a natural weapon could damage you as well.

The fire elemental continues to focus on Naseem

Slam Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

But misses completely.

Everyone is up

Scarab Sages

hp 15/15 | Ac 18 T 14 FF 15 | Init +3 | Fort +1 Ref+5 Will +2 | Perception +4 | Ray 4/6 | Spells 2/4 | Reroll 1/1

Quon slashes again, this time putting more force behind his swing!

Wakizashi Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Damage: 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Scarab Sages

Female Half-orc Monk 1 | HP: 9/9 | AC 19* (T14, FF 17*) | CMB: +3 CMD: 15 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+4 (+2 vs. hot weather) | Init +2 | Perc +6, SM +2, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Orc Ferocity: 1/1, Stunning Fist: 0/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour (1 hour)

Surprised at the intense heat, Kenza draws her dagger and thrusts forward, stabbing at the fiery creature.

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Move to draw, standard to attack

Grand Lodge

Human CG human Magus 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 T: 11 FF: 14 CMD: 14 | F +4 R +1 W +3 | Init +7 | Perc +2 | Arcane pool +1 5/5

The elemental in front of Cork dissipates. He turns his attention to the other group fighting a second fire elemental. He points towards the flaming being and a blast of cold shoots towards it.

ray of frost@green,into melee: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 2 - 4 = 9 touch

The Exchange

Female Tian-Xian Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)/2 (HP 18/18 | AC:17 T:13 FF:14 | CMB:+2 CMD:15 | F:+1 R:+6 W:+0 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Low-light vision | Move:30ft) Mwk Rapier +7 (1d6+3/18-20x2) Panache 4/4 DL 3/3 CL 2/3
Skills:
Acro +9 Bluff +7 Climb +4 Diplomacy +7 EA +7 Intim +8 Knowledge (Local +5) Perc +4 Perform (Dance) +7 Ride +7 SM +0 SoH +7 Stealth +3 Swim +4

Jinny takes a running buildup (fluff only) and tries to bounce off the southern wall past Naseem.

Acrobatics to avoid AoO: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

She lands with a quick backflip, weapon ready, to add a little panache to the action.

Rapier: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19 Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

Quon's blade swings but the small elemental deftly dodges, however even with its high mobility, Kenza sticks her blade solidly enough and avoids catching on fire herself.

Cork's ray goes wide hitting one of the Hoodoo

The Crimson Fox deftly dodges around to get an opening, and while the elemental is reeling from Kenza's attack, is able to finish off the small fire elemental.

Out of Combat

Beyond the arch, the red stone hoodoos open up to a massive citadel. The stronghold appears to have two parts: the nearest is a squat, square fortress covered in decaying plaster and topped by an enormous minaret from which a thin plume of smoke escapes. The plaster walls are richly decorated with intricate geometric carvings of dancing flames, and smaller minarets rise from the corners. At the east end of that building, the valley floor drops suddenly and a windowless second structure perches on a plateau beyond, rising gracefully from the void in a tangle of minarets and spires. Even though centuries of sand have scoured away most of the gold leaf that once decorated the structure, the sunlight reflecting off the deep red stone of the citadel makes the entire structure glow like a massive bonfire. A delicate, red, enclosed bridge links the first fortress with the second one beyond. A pair of massive brass doors covered in a flowing decorative script blocks access to the near fortress.

Scarab Sages

hp 15/15 | Ac 18 T 14 FF 15 | Init +3 | Fort +1 Ref+5 Will +2 | Perception +4 | Ray 4/6 | Spells 2/4 | Reroll 1/1

"Now would be a good time to apply some magical armor" Quon says while he makes intricate movements with his wand, finally lightly touching himself with it on the left arm. An blue sheen moves from the touched spot to cover his entire body which shrinks in on itself until it is gone.

"What are those letters? Can anyone read them? Otherwise I have a scroll that will allow me to understand them."

Grand Lodge

Male Half Orc Paladin 1 AC 16 {T:11/FF:15} HP 13/13 Init+1, Perception -1 / Fort +4, Reflex +1, Will +1

"I have no idea. Can't be anything good though, they were bad guys, right?"

The Exchange

Male Oread Inquisitor lvl 2 21/21 hp, AC 18 (FF 16, Tch 12 ), Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6, Perception +7, initiative +10 Move speed 15 feet, Main weapon MW Greatsword 2H +5 2d6+4, Profession Miner +6, Knowledges: Dungeoneering, Planes, Arcana, Religion +3

Naseem takes a step back and smiles as the team swarms and extinguishes the fire elemental.

There's no way this thing still standing right?

I see Gorum has blessed me with a group that isn't afraid to get up close and fight! No lazy scholars or onlookers here! Naseem bellows.

He looks at Jinhong and Kenza in particular.

The fancy footwork, tricky nonsense and acrobatics isn't my style, but I cannot deny it's effectiveness. He says with a nod of respect.

As for you Kenza, I admire your eagerness, but battles must be fought with the head and heart. Punching fire is not an ideal battle plan. He says letting out a low chuckle as he says this.

We must search this area, there may be more fire elementals or other valuables in the area!

He moves up slowly, keeping an eye out for anything that piques his interest.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

Making you way though the archway, Naseem does notice that some of the mummified remains have salvageable items.

  • four potions
    Spellcraft DC 16:
    oils of bless weapon

  • four magic arrows
    Spellcraft DC 22:
    +1 holy arrows

At the doors, they seem steadfastly shut. It looks like they will require some effort to open. There is some strange script on the Door, matching the script on written on the bull-headed columns of the archway.

Korum Linguistics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Korum is able to loosely parse that all the writing is in Ignan, and looks to be prayers or other types of idolizations of Moloch.

Scarab Sages

Female Half-orc Monk 1 | HP: 9/9 | AC 19* (T14, FF 17*) | CMB: +3 CMD: 15 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+4 (+2 vs. hot weather) | Init +2 | Perc +6, SM +2, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Orc Ferocity: 1/1, Stunning Fist: 0/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour (1 hour)

Kenza nods at Jinhong, acknowledging her skill with a blade, before examining the space the fire elemental was defeated. Is its body is gone? Or still there? Just smears of soot? Whatever is left Kenza examines with interest.

Kenza stands and surveys her surroundings, alert for more danger and enemies. She draws a potion from her belt pouch and drinks it. Mage Armour, AC updated

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Kenza wanders over to the wall that is carved and examines it, running her hands along its ancient carvings.

At Naseem's pronouncement, Kenza allows herself a bit of a smile. "It is my duty to protect such scholars and onlookers. I pray I will not be bored."

At Nazeem's further remark, her smile fades. "I have trained to ignore such pain, sir. But I accept your criticism with humbleness." Kenza clearly considers you, and possibly a few of you, her superior, and is taking Naseem's remark as a reprimand.

As she realizes the door will take strength to open, Kenza steps forward. "Shall we force them open?" she asks. "Of do our learned members desires to try wits first?"

Kenza is ready to try to push her way through the doors when given an order to do so. Until then she stands patient, but alert.

Grand Lodge

Human CG human Magus 2 | HP 20/20 | AC: 15 T: 11 FF: 14 CMD: 14 | F +4 R +1 W +3 | Init +7 | Perc +2 | Arcane pool +1 5/5

spellcraft potion: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
spellcraft arrow: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

"These look nice." Cork says as he picks up the potions and arrows. "These potions will bless our weapons and these are holy arrows. Who's our best archer here?" Cork holds the bundle of arrows out to whoever wants to take them.

Cork approaches the doors. "I'm all for forcing them open but maybe someone has a better way."

Scarab Sages

Female Half-orc Monk 1 | HP: 9/9 | AC 19* (T14, FF 17*) | CMB: +3 CMD: 15 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+4 (+2 vs. hot weather) | Init +2 | Perc +6, SM +2, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Orc Ferocity: 1/1, Stunning Fist: 0/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour (1 hour)

Kenza shakes her head at Cornelius in shame. "I bear only a sling, and have never shown competence in archery."

Scarab Sages

hp 15/15 | Ac 18 T 14 FF 15 | Init +3 | Fort +1 Ref+5 Will +2 | Perception +4 | Ray 4/6 | Spells 2/4 | Reroll 1/1

”There might be a keyhole somewhere, if there is I can try to open the doors, although I am no scholar”

Checking for traps: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

The Exchange

Male Oread Inquisitor lvl 2 21/21 hp, AC 18 (FF 16, Tch 12 ), Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6, Perception +7, initiative +10 Move speed 15 feet, Main weapon MW Greatsword 2H +5 2d6+4, Profession Miner +6, Knowledges: Dungeoneering, Planes, Arcana, Religion +3

Thanks for figuring out what these are Cornelius. I'm not much of an archer. But I will take an arrow anyway. I'll just ram it down a monsters throat! He says. I'm also keeping one of these oils for myself.

Naseem Passes out three oils of bless weapons to whoever accepts them.

First come first serve I guess? As Naseem alluded to before, it's rare to have a party with six melee chars who want the oil. Anyway, Naseem has one oil and one arrow in inventory.

As for the door, I'd also like to see if there's a quieter way in. He says. worst case, we can just muscle it open. He says, making a fist in emphasis.

The Exchange

Female Tian-Xian Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)/2 (HP 18/18 | AC:17 T:13 FF:14 | CMB:+2 CMD:15 | F:+1 R:+6 W:+0 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Low-light vision | Move:30ft) Mwk Rapier +7 (1d6+3/18-20x2) Panache 4/4 DL 3/3 CL 2/3
Skills:
Acro +9 Bluff +7 Climb +4 Diplomacy +7 EA +7 Intim +8 Knowledge (Local +5) Perc +4 Perform (Dance) +7 Ride +7 SM +0 SoH +7 Stealth +3 Swim +4

Edit: I posted without updating first and missed a bunch of dialogue.

Jinny acknowledges the mighty oread's comments with a tip of the hat and a jaunty smile.

Thank ye kindly, stout warrior. Truth be told, I work best with an audience. And I thank ye for the oil.

Jinny carries a shortbow. I'll take the remaining 3 arrows unless someone else can use them, in which case we'll split them. Taking one oil of bless weapon.

Scarab Sages

Female Half-orc Monk 1 | HP: 9/9 | AC 19* (T14, FF 17*) | CMB: +3 CMD: 15 | F:+4 R:+4 W:+4 (+2 vs. hot weather) | Init +2 | Perc +6, SM +2, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Orc Ferocity: 1/1, Stunning Fist: 0/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour (1 hour)

Kenza accepts one of the oils of bless weapon with a respectful nod of her head.

Scarab Sages

Citadel of Flames Maps

A quick survey of around the building show no other entrances. There should be some entrance from the bridge to the lower stronghold, but none easily seen from your vantage point.

Map slide 3 shows the overall layout. Lower stronghold, bridge and main Citadel across the canyon

Quon does not locate any traps and the doors just appear to be heavy, but not otherwise barred. Opening the brass doors without any adjustment would make some noise, most likely heard in the lower stronghold.

Let me know how you want to open doors or other plans

The Exchange

Female Tian-Xian Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)/2 (HP 18/18 | AC:17 T:13 FF:14 | CMB:+2 CMD:15 | F:+1 R:+6 W:+0 | Init:+3 | Perc:+4 Low-light vision | Move:30ft) Mwk Rapier +7 (1d6+3/18-20x2) Panache 4/4 DL 3/3 CL 2/3
Skills:
Acro +9 Bluff +7 Climb +4 Diplomacy +7 EA +7 Intim +8 Knowledge (Local +5) Perc +4 Perform (Dance) +7 Ride +7 SM +0 SoH +7 Stealth +3 Swim +4

@GM, I assume there's a roof preventing us from simply scaling the wall to gain egress?

I don't think we're an especially stealthy group to start with, so losing the element of surprise is not a big deal IMO. That being said,...

Does anyone have any lamp oil we can use to lubricate the hinges?

Anyone have Knowledge Engineering?

The Exchange

Male Oread Inquisitor lvl 2 21/21 hp, AC 18 (FF 16, Tch 12 ), Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6, Perception +7, initiative +10 Move speed 15 feet, Main weapon MW Greatsword 2H +5 2d6+4, Profession Miner +6, Knowledges: Dungeoneering, Planes, Arcana, Religion +3

I'd be very surprised to discover anyone in this crew had knowledge engineering. no oil either :/

We don't need any lubricant. Just elbow grease. We don't know what's on the other side of this door, so lets get ready before we get it open

Naseem takes a minute to apply his fire ward gel.

20 points of protection from fire for the next hour.

When he's finished, he moves to the door and begins straining against it.

Don't just stand and watch, help me push! He growls.

strength check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

1 to 50 of 207 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS] 1-39: Citidel of Flame (Roving Dachshund) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.