Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

On Abadar's Secret Service (Inactive)

Game Master James Martin

A game of colonization and exploration in a new land with new dangers and threats.


201 to 250 of 1,224 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Monk(Zen Archer)/Inquisitor 5, hp 60/60, AC 21, (T21/FF18), Init +13, Perc +14 F+8(13)/R+8(13)/W+11(16)

Orin is eager to start poking about the island, so he would rather be outside the walls than in, if no one needs him for anything in particular.

He does suggest that a comprehensive survey and catalogue of the compound's resources be conducted and perhaps some organization of a civil militia be conducted, but admits that others are probably more suited to that task than he.


So, Orin and Leralt wish to explore outside the walls, while Dr Krupt wishes to stay behind to investigate the colony itself. What about the rest of you? Stay and explore or go and explore?


Male Catfolk Bard 5; HP 28/28; AC 17/13/14; F+1/R+7/W+4; Init +3; Per +10

Songan first expresses concern about the sudden appearance of such bounty, expressing his beliefs that the food and drink should be tested for poison or some other possible malady.

Once that is done, he tries to find Dr. Eyesquint and talk over her conversation with the bleachling gnome and anything that might've been said that would give them any idea of what vague, though dire, threat this "Tezcatlipoca" may pose to the colony. He can recall no mention of such a being to his mind, much as he tries.

Eventually he tires of the mental games and goes to explore the island, with particular interest in the area directly surrounding the colony, on some level hoping to find other signs of the bleachling gnome or anything else that might help the colony get a better start. In addition, he looks for any wild game that can be taken to supplement the colony's food stores.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Or not...


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Lena is intrigued by this 'Tezcatlipoca' and would like to explore the wilderness, but the mayor's disappearance and cataloguing of the colony takes precedence in her mind for the moment. After waking up and jogging around the perimeter of the town and taking in the brautiful views of the surrounding jungles, Lena dresses and heads back into the centre of town where she is more comfortable. She seeks out the others as they are discussing the day's plans.

"A good idea Doctor, I will accompany you" Lena smiles at Dr. Krupt, taking the time she spends with him to study the good Doctor as she hasn't had much of an opportunity to really get to know what he's about.

seeing as everyone is still in town, I'll assume Daisy didn't take my footprint book so I'll use that to help investigate the town hall

"Anyone else coming?" Lena asks the group before setting off after Dr. Krupt.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Catila rises early and greets everyone as they awake. She is happy and excited to begin further exploring the Island and uncovering it's mystery.

She shares her conversation with Grimfang, letting the others know that the wolf is confident that he could track the strange Gnome quite easily. As well she relates her findings that although the bleached Gnome was not evil himself, it had been in the presence of something incredibly evil adding "There is much more going on here on this island than it at first appears. I am also quite sure that there is more than one faction at play. The only way we are going to find answers though is to seek them out ourselves. Before we head out though, I'd to do a through search of the colony to find out any further clues that may have been left behind by the previous colonists."

Catilia has actually already been searching since she woke up, so perhaps she's already finished her search? And I'm assuming she can take a 20 on it? She's looking for any maps, writings, going through personal belongings and anything she can find that may have been left behind by the others. However when those who are going to explore the island are ready to leave, she will be going with them, cutting her search of the colony short if need be.


Catila:
Rising early you begin to sniff around the colony itself, looking for anything that appears out of the ordinary. You manage to get about halfway through the colony before the others are ready to leave. Everything you find seems in character for a new colony: clothing, food, materials.

It's not until you search the Mayor's residence that realize something: approximately 13 pages have been removed from the previous Mayor's daily diary. The removal is precise and you would not have noticed it, save the last sentence on the page before the removal is unfinished, yet does not continue onto the next page. The sentence is unremarkable, referring to potential crop yields in the coming growing season, but what comes after it must have been important. The yields all refer to the northernmost field, near what is referred to as the Giant's Throne.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

While her companions are still gathered and discussing how they will spend their day, Catila brings up one more point of interest "Oh, and I've found something else of interest. It seems approximately 13 pages have been removed from the previous Mayor's diary. The section just before the removed portion was discussing crop yields from the Northern Field, near something referred to as 'The Giant's Throne'. So for those of us searching outside the colony today I suggest we begin out investigations and explorations there."


Male Dwarf Monk(Zen Archer)/Inquisitor 5, hp 60/60, AC 21, (T21/FF18), Init +13, Perc +14 F+8(13)/R+8(13)/W+11(16)

Orin listens to Catila with interest.

"Well done. I would not have thought to look there. This Giant's Throne, seems like a likely spot to start our exploration."


As plans are made, two camps develop: those who wish to explore outside the fort's walls and those who wish to stay behind and explore the fort.

Wilds: Those who wish to explore outside gather their supplies and head out shortly after breakfast. They head north, following the reference to the Giant's Throne. They pass through overgrown fields and small patches of thick trees, finding a pile of trees evidently felled but never turned into lumber. They find more overgrown fields, as well as evidence of a cart road that heads off to the east. Still northward, they top a small hill to see another grown field, but this one is bordered by a large series of boulders, leaning together to make a rough chair 15 feet high.

Perception checks, please!

Fort: Back at the fort, a decision is made to examine the hole where the Mayor was taken. Prying up a few more floorboards and a little shovelwork reveals a rough tunnel, about five feet circular in the ground. It isn't manmade, but it appears stable.

Perception checks, please!


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Perception
1d20 ⇒ 14
Cast Detect Magic
Edit-Wilds


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

"Aha! Well, Lena, this is a bit more than I was expecting. Did anyone else in our little company stay around, or shall it be just the two of us seeing where this leads?"


Also, please preface your posts with either Wilds or Fort to help your poor DM remember which group you're with. Thanks!


Male Dwarf Monk(Zen Archer)/Inquisitor 5, hp 60/60, AC 21, (T21/FF18), Init +13, Perc +14 F+8(13)/R+8(13)/W+11(16)

Wilds

Orin's Perception :1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Grimfang's Perception :1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 don't forget I get +1 to track creatures and +2 to identify tracks from the Footprint Book but I haven't factored these bonuses in above

"Morning Krupt, it would appear that Orin, Songan, Catila and Leralt have gone exploring. I am unsure as to Daisy or Mevakh's plans. I'm sure they can catch us up..shall we?"

Lena will also cast detect magic whilst searching the area to see if that shows anything.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Wilds

"Why thank you Orin!" Catila returns the dwarf's compliment with a smile.

As they head our, Catila stops every now and then to make notes and to sketch out details on the map she is making. There may still be an existing map of the colony somewhere in the areas she had not yet had a chance to search, but having another one certainly couldn't hurt. Also, comparing her map with an older one, should it exist, may lead to more clues.

As they walk, Catila hums a pleasing tune, and her companions once again notice that they feel more alert and aware as she does so.

+1 to Perception, Initiative, Disable Device, and Reflex and AC to avoid traps for the next hour.

As the reach the Giant's Throne she stops and gazes with interest "Well now, isn't this curious! I wonder whatever it's purpose could have been?"
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

She looks around very carefully though before proceeding closer, making sure the others, especially Grimfang, who she has developed a fondness for, are close by. When she gets close enough, she uses a cantip to detect for any magical emanations, not really expecting to find any.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

Fort:

"After you, I think," says Krupt, taking the time to light up a torch. "Your elven blood will give you a better view of what's ahead and you're better armed than I am, should we find whatever burrowing nightmare snatched our Lord Mayor."


Male Half-Orc Paladin of the Sacred Shield 4

In the Fort

Mevakh readies his shield and steps forward in front of both Krupt and Lena. "I see well in the dark. The orcish blood that runs through my veins will be well-acquainted with the underground. I will lead the way, and defend others against that which might lurk within."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

Fort:

"Ah, excellent. In that case, after you." Dr. Krupt makes a magnanimous gesture towards the hole in the floor.


Male Catfolk Bard 5; HP 28/28; AC 17/13/14; F+1/R+7/W+4; Init +3; Per +10

Fort

Opting to remain inside the fort for hope of further exploring the place where the Mayor was taken, Songan is there to see them pry the floorboards up to reveal the rough-hewn tunnel. His ears perk and his pupils dilate with curiosity, himself hopping down from his perch and looking over at the others to hear their declarations of intent to follow the tunnel.

Fishing through his backpack, he pulls out an Everburning Torch holding it up for the others to see. "While my night vision is not as good as an orc's, judging from the tales that are told, I am able to see in moonlight or less. It is doubtful such illumination will be possible for long in that tunnel, though...so I think this will come in handy. So then...Mevahk first. What should our marching order be otherwise?"


Wilds

Orin, Catila, Leralt and Grimfang all stare down at the chair, realizing after a few moments that the chair is an optical illusion, merely a pile of boulders that have landed in this vague shape. Still, it does definitely resemble a throne...

Catila, however, notices that a small patch of the overgrown field has been plowed in the past, but nothing seems to have grown there. An almost perfect circle of bare earth can be seen...

Fort

As the marching order is decided, please post it for me, thanks!, the band of heroes at the fort descend into the hole. It is a round tunnel. Lena does note some tracks along the bottom of the circle, almost obscured by something heavier that has been dragged along the ground. The footprints would appear to be those of a small humanoid, as well as cat pawprints, perhaps a leopard or cheetah. There are also evidence of claw marks at the sides of the tunnel, perhaps of the creature that made the tunnel. You believe them to be wolverine tracks, but larger than a normal wolverine.

Moving along the tunnel, it slopes slightly upward as you go. Finally, you come across a Y in the tunnel. From the left corridor you can hear a loud huffing noise from the bend in the tunnel. The tracks continue to the right, and you can detect faint light from that direction.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

Fort:

I think, given that single file is our only option at the moment, we should go with: Mevakh, Lena, Songan, Gellius, unless Songan would like to take rear guard. The doctor's torch is real and fire might help as a deterrent against the beastie.

As the tracks are discovered and identified:

"Wolverines are indeed burrowing creatures. If one dug this tunnel...well, let's hope its ferocity hasn't increased with its size. Perhaps we're dealing with a rogue druidic sect? Our foe considers our presence in a pristine wilderness as a defilement, we've seen evidence of divine magic, and the amount of animals traipsing around in, and under, a civilized settlement are distressing."

At the fork: The doctor waits for those doing the tracking to make a decision on direction. In the meantime, he stays quiet and removes the stopper from a small flask in a loop on his apron. He pulls a small, feathered dart and coats its tip with a blue paste from the vial. Coating a blowgun dart with blue whinnis.


Male Catfolk Bard 5; HP 28/28; AC 17/13/14; F+1/R+7/W+4; Init +3; Per +10

Forgot the Perception roll earlier...here you go: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Also, I don't really have a care for the marching order, save that Gellius shouldn't be in the back. It might be better to have Mevakh in the front and Lena in the back should anything try to ambush us from behind. Either way suits me fine.

Songan stands behind the others, watching the tracks as they go, trying to remember anything specific he can think of regarding the animal species that they seem to be tracking, as well as pouring over his memory for any mention of a being called "Tezcatlipoca" or any druidic sect that a particular reverence for cats, silently deciding to brush up on any and all lore regarding the natural world and the druidic religion he can when they have some downtime.

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

His eyes on the fork in the path, he looks first to the left, perking his ears up at the huffing sound. He whispers to those in front of him, "It matters not to me which direction we move in. Either seems to lead to possible danger, with tracks one way and noises the other."

He quietly pulls his bow from off his back, nocking an arrow, ready to draw and fire at a moment's notice, should the need arise.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

"I think we should go right and continue to follow the tracks. Seeing as we can hear something along the left route, I will take rearguard. That way Mevakh can protect against anything ahead and I can guard against the rear in case the thing making the noises decides to investigate us"

Lena loads her crossbow with a fresh clip of 5 and walks backwards half the time keepit an watchful eye out behind the group


Fort

Songan:
You don't recall any Druidic sects with specific cat affinities, but you do recall hearing a song once that referred to Tezcatlipoca. It was a pretty good song, but rhyming 'Tezcatlipoca' with 'the last one he poke-a'd' was pretty terrible. Anyway, the song mentioned Tezcatlipoca as the Lord of the Burning Mirror, and referenced him as some sort of guardian between worlds. Not necessarily good, but not exactly murderously evil, either.

Lena:
You keep your senses trained on the way behind you, and just after you approach the Y in the tunnel, you think you hear something behind you... Perception check, please.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Extremely curious, Catila informs the others and moves closer to the circle to take a better look. She is very careful though not to touch or enter it, and makes sure none of the others do either.

Once again she detects for magical emanations


Wilds

Catila moves down into the overgrown field, toward the strange circle. The ground in the circle has been disturbed, though by the dryness of the soil, it has been a while. There is something embedded in the soil, something stone or clay. You can't tell exactly what it is from here...

Detect Magic results:
You detect auras of Abjuration, which were once strong, but now are merely remnants, like the heat after a fire has burned itself out.Spellcraft check, please!


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Does Leralt pick anything up on his detect magic?


Leralt:
Sorry, I missed your detection! Not unless he casts it when they arrive at the circle. If that's the case, read Catila's Detect Magic spoiler above.


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Spellcraft
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Why do I bother, from now on assume he takes 10 when he can ::facepalm::


Leralt Littlehorn wrote:

Spellcraft

1d20+10

Why do I bother, from now on assume he takes 10 when he can ::facepalm::

Assumed! ;) I'll wait until Catila has a chance to roll and/or take 10 to reply.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Wasn't much point waiting for that. Sheesh

Using her native ability to cast presdigitation, Catila tries to nudge the item out of the sand. Failing that, she uses the simple magics to clear away the dirt and sand which covers the item, hoping to get a better look.

To Orin she says "Strong Abjuation magic was used here, but was some time ago. Do you or Grimfang sense or see anything unusual here?"

Would any other Knowledge checks be appropriate here? K (nature)? Geography? Dungeoneering??


Wilds

Leralt:
The lingering hint of some sort of powerful abjuration lingers here. You're not aware of which specific spell it was, but you can guess that it was a spell used to imprison something, probably an outsider. And judging by the remnants, a powerful outsider.

Catila uses his innate prestidigitation ability to clean away some of the dirt from the stone(?) fragments. The largest fragment you can see is slightly curved, as if it were part of some sort of vase or vessel. Faint carvings can be seen, but from this distance, you can't tell if they're language or symbols.


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt groaned. His mind working thru the information and coming to a theory he hoped was way off the mark.

"Oh great whatever was here made use of powerful protective magic to bind an outsider. My guess from our trickster friend earlier, his trick, and now this. I would say a very powerful fiend was imprisoned here, the colonist in their expansion broke it's prison, and in all likely hood it was the cause of their disappearance. That makes sense to me but I would very much like to hear a better guess."

If he was right their was the question of what type of fiend, then what class of fiend. Depending on the type and class it would effect alot of things.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

How big is the circle? Catila's right beside it. She'll continue her work until it's totally cleaned or she can through prestidigitation lift the fragments out of the circle to over to her


Male Catfolk Bard 5; HP 28/28; AC 17/13/14; F+1/R+7/W+4; Init +3; Per +10

Songan, having pored over his memory for any knowledge that may be of use to the group, suddenly perks when he remembers an obscure song that mentioned this Tezcatlipoca character, relaying the information to his companions in a low, excited whisper.

"Friends, I'm not sure if this is of any use to us currently, but I have remembered an old song that referenced this same 'Tezcatlipoca' being. The song refers to him as the 'Lord of the Burning Mirror' and seems to describe him as some sort of...guardian between worlds. What gate he guards, and what method he uses in that guardianship, though, are unknown to me." he tells them, adding an offer to sing the song from memory to everyone as best he can when they are finished exploring.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

As the group rounds the bend and begins to follow the right-hand route, Lena calls everyone to stop.

"I think I just heard something" she whispers

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

Fort:

Krupt pauses, loading the dart into his blowgun and readying for trouble.


Male Catfolk Bard 5; HP 28/28; AC 17/13/14; F+1/R+7/W+4; Init +3; Per +10

Songan perks his ears, listening to see if he hears the same thing that Lena hears.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


Fort

Lena freezes, but the sound stops as she does and she is unable to determine distance or size. But it's definitely behind you...

From the Y, the huffing sound ... giggles? It's a low, bass sound but it's definitely a giggle.

Wilds

The circle is about 15 feet across and the fragments are at the center. Whatever was here had left a mark upon the land... The fragments are too heavy for presidigitation to lift. Mage hand might work.


Male Dwarf Monk(Zen Archer)/Inquisitor 5, hp 60/60, AC 21, (T21/FF18), Init +13, Perc +14 F+8(13)/R+8(13)/W+11(16)

WILDS

Orin studies the circle and the area surrounding it to see if there is anything indicative of what might have caused the blight:

If there is no hurry, he'll just take 20 on his Knowledge(nature) +6 and Survival +7 checks

I guess we could always just walk in and take a look, or..."

He looks around for a stone and tosses it into the circle to see if anything happens.


Wilds

Orin:
Studying the effect, it would seem that this is the reaction of nature to an unnatural thing. It appears relatively recent, since there are some dead plants in the circle.

Orin tosses a rock into the circle, waiting for the reaction. It hits the ground, bounces and rolls to a stop. Nothing more happens.


Male Half-Orc Paladin of the Sacred Shield 4

Fort

Mevakh holds his axe and shield up, ready to repel any attack from the subterranean creature or creatures that may stand in their way. "That is an ominous sound, but not one to fear. I will not quake in the darkness." He redirects them by moving towards the source of the sound on the left side of the fork. Without timidity, Mevakh turns the corner and looks for the source of the noise.


Fort

Mevakh turns the corner, heading into the darkness. His eyes adjust quickly, revealing a stark black and white tunnel that leads slightly downward. After about 60 feet, he rounds a bend to see a wolverine nearly as large as he is, facing him about 15 feet away. The wolverine appears to have a wild aspect about him, but his eyes glint with intelligence. It chuckles again, a deep huffing sound and murmurs something in a lilting tongue that you do not speak.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Can Lena understand the speech?
she speaks Common, Elven, Kelish, Osiriani


Afraid not, although it does share a lot of melodic content with Elvish...


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

"It, or something working with it, has the mayor. If this conversation proves as fruitful as the one with the giant cat-man, we won't be very enlightened," murmurs Dr. Krupt, preparing to use his blowgun should the thing attempt to rush Mevakh.


Male Catfolk Bard 5; HP 28/28; AC 17/13/14; F+1/R+7/W+4; Init +3; Per +10

What about Sylvan, GM OMB?


Songan:
Well, since you put it that way...

"Oh hear them scampering about in the tunnels, scraping about like rats. Loud, loud rats. AT least the last one had the decency to stay quiet."


Male Catfolk Bard 5; HP 28/28; AC 17/13/14; F+1/R+7/W+4; Init +3; Per +10

Songan's ears perk up at the language spoken by the large wolverine, then glances quickly to the others. It seemed like he was the only one who understood the message. He cleared his throat before stepping in front of Mevakh and responding to the animal.

Sylvan:
"This is a strange situation I find myself in...a dog telling a cat that he is as noisy as a rat. And who is this 'last one' of whom you speak?"


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Sensing Orin's consideration of entering the circle, Catila puts a hand out to forestall him "I wouldn't advise that friend, for who knows what might be the result." she then turns to her other companion "Leralt, I have read of an incantation which allows one to manipulate matter at a distance, lifting it and such. Would you have such a spell in your book? If not, I advise for the moment we mark this area off as dangerous and forbidden to the colonists, and come back once we have the means to investigate in properly."

201 to 250 of 1,224 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / On Abadar's Secret Service All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.