Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

On Abadar's Secret Service (Inactive)

Game Master James Martin

A game of colonization and exploration in a new land with new dangers and threats.


751 to 800 of 1,224 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>

Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

oops I meant to say Judgement (+2 Attacks) not (+2 AC)


Round 1:
20 Lena
18 Catila
18 Songan
17 Gellius
17 Bulette
7 Leralt
4 Mevakh

Lena steps forward and proclaims her warning. The creature belches loudly, not indicating whether it understands or not, but definitely lending credence to the drunken rampage theory.

Catila:
Bulettes or landsharks, are vicious apex predators that can devastate an area in record time. They're beasts, but beasts who have some sort of magical origin. This one appears to be a juvenile judging by its size. Intelligence wise, it's about the level of any predator, such as a lion or a wolf.

Catila studies the thing, then calls upon her First World roots to cast a spell designed to blunt and simultaneously relocate the smell of the stew. The thing pauses, sniffs the air and licks its lips hungrily.

As Songan begins to chant his hypnotic syllables, the creature pauses and its small eyes fix on him. Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 However its hunger seems to overwhelm its sense of curiosity and instead it seems to recognize the inherent fleshiness of the creatures speaking to it. It lets out a howl and charges toward Songan! Lena's quick action sends a bolt arcing toward the creature, but it hits the hard armor of the beast and shatters, doing no apparent damage. Gellius, already doubtful that the calming approach would work, moves away from the two and downs his extract of Fire breath, spewing forth a cone of flame at the beast. Reflex 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Fire breath damage: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 1, 1) = 7

The huge creature manages to slide under the cone, avoiding most of the flame, but getting slightly scorched in the attempt. It barrels into Songan, attempting to swallow the bard!

Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Fortunately Songan is more nimble than the beast and he manages to slip to the side enough to avoid the crashing jaws! The beast shudders to a stop and lets loose a bellowing roar, shaking the ground with its call!

Leralt and Mevahk, then Round 2: Lena, Catila, Songan and Gellius!


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

You had to go and nat-20 that save, didn't you OMB?


Look at it this way: I could have nat-20'd the attack roll!


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

Point...


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt figuring now was not the time to hold back cast a spell he thinks could not only harm the creature, but chase it away.

Flaming Sphere (DC 17)
3d6 ⇒ (1, 1, 4) = 6

And the dmg rolls suck -.-


Leralt's spell causes a large ball of flaming fire to appear and roll toward the bulette. The bulette barely glances at the thing. Reflex 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27 Instead it simply grunts and stumbles to the side, avoiding the attack.

We'll give Mevakh until Thursday. Why don't Lena, Catila, Songan and Gellius go ahead and post their Round 2 actions?


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

"The more beasts we kill, the less beasts there are to plague the settlement until we can discover a way to destroy their birthing place," Krupt announces, to no one in particular, as he pulls another extract from a pocket and swallows it.

Standard action to down a true strike extract, then he'll move within 20 feet of the bulette, again trying to keep a clear line of sight to the thing.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

So is the Bulette in combat with Songan? If so I'll charge it

Charge!:

Charge at Bulette to flank with Songan if possible while drawing my Falcata (keep hold of my crossbow in off hand)

don't know if the Bulette has reach, if so: acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Falcata: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 + 2 + 2 - 1 = 11
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Sneak Attack: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8

If the Bulette isn't in a position to be flanked, I'll continue to circle around it and shoot with my Crossbow

Crossbow:

Move further around flank then crossbow to the face!
Crossbow: 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 2 - 1 = 25
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 4 clip:3/5


It is currently trying to eat Songan, yes.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

I guess I'll be charging then... uh oh..


I'll be kind and allow you use the second roll for your charge attack. This bulette is young and lacks reach, so no acrobatics check needed.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Swearing very un-ladylike at their failure to find a non-violent solution to the conflict and knowing full well how much trouble they were in, Catila attempts once more to trick the creature and lure it away, this time using her knowledge of the creature and it's young age and intoxicated state to try and entice it.

Again calling on her racial abilities, this time Catila does her best to imitate the sound of a female bulette in heat, and makes the sound come, loudly, from outside the gate, moving it further away and 'unseen' into the forest if the creature falls for it.

Ghost SoundDC14 Will Save, IF the creature 'interacts' with it.


A female bulette in heat? Ohmy. You best pray it doesn't 'interact' with it!


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

Oh heaven.
If Catila's Ghost Sound fails:
Songan takes a five-foot step backward from the creature, offering a silent prayer of thanks for not being horribly scarred by a bulette bite, then casts Grease at the thing's feet, making sure that the 10-foot area of the spell is centered at the front of the animal as opposed to centered on it, so as not to catch Lena in it's area.

If Catila's Ghost Sound succeeds:
Songan takes a five-foot step away from the bulette, casting Mage Hand and using the spell to rustle some foliage near to where the noise comes from, hopefully lending further credence to the illusion.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Well that's incredibly reasonable of you OMB :)

Confirm critical: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 + 2 + 2 - 1 = 22

If that confirms then its 14 damage, if not then its 11

(Combat Expertise still active, so AC 17 after charge)


NPCing Mevakh

Mevakh calls upon Abadar to bless his axe and protect this colony, then charges the bulette!
Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 damage!
Mevakh's attack strikes the hard shell of the beast, doing no damage, but sending a painful shudder down the blade into Mevakh's arm.

Round 2:
20 Lena
18 Catila
18 Songan
17 Gellius
17 Bulette
7 Leralt
4 Mevakh

Lena takes a deep breath and also charges the creature, hitting a soft spot between plates, but failing to penetrate as deeply as she'd like! The creature roars in pain as the falcata slices deeply into its side, drawing a splash of deep black blood from it.

Catila concentrates and creates a sound that can only be described as a cow being slowly flayed alive by demons. The creature sniffs the air, (Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14) but smelling nothing, seems to disregard the noise as a distraction to a meal.

Songan slips back as Catila's ploy seems to fail, then casts a spell of slipperiness on the ground beneath the bulette's feet. It lets out a huffing noise (Reflex save: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22), but its wide stance (hee hee) and stout legs give it ample stability and it does not fall.

Gellius downs an extract and immediately begins to notice weak spots in the creature's defenses as he moves to take advantage of them.

The bulette lets out another ground shaking roar, stomping his feet angrily. It starts to lunge toward Songan, but feeling the bite of the falcata, whips its head around to snap at Lena, while lashing out with two claws at her. Attack (bite):1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21, attack (claw 1) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 and attack (claw 2)1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19. The bite connects and one claw slashes hard at her, while one claw misses. Lena takes 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 6) + 4 = 12 damage as the vicious teeth crash together around her thigh and 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 damage as the claw scrapes across her ankle.

Leralt and Mevakh are up!


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt directs the moving ball of fire to the beast while casting another spell. A pair of glowing darts strike the monster with force.

Flaming Sphere (DC 17)
3d6 ⇒ (6, 4, 4) = 14

Magic Missile
2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 4) + 2 = 10


NPCing Mevakh

Mevakh strikes again, trying to harm the creature's hard outer plate! Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11, but his attack is spurned as the creature shifts and his axe catches a bony plat.

Leralt's ball of flame again tries to goad the creature into action, Reflex: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19, but it again sidesteps the worst of the fire, letting out a howl of anger. However, Leralt's unerring missiles of arcane force strike without mercy, causing the thing to snap at the air in anger. Its eyes are clouded with pain and it leaks blackish blood from several burns and cuts, but it still stands its ground, its drunkeness getting the best of its reason.

Lena, Catila, Songan and Gellius are up!


Male Half-Orc Paladin of the Sacred Shield 4

Lost a dot.


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

I hate it when that happens.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

Krupt plucks a poisoned dart from his belt, stuffing it into the end of his blowgun and raising it to his mouth. He lets the spell guide him as he shoots for a weak point in the monster's armor plating, hoping for the venom to do its work.

Attack: 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (17) + 25 = 42 Damage: 1d2 ⇒ 2 hp plus blue whinnis poison (Fort DC14; initial dmg: 1 Con; secondary dmg: unconscious for 1d3 hours; 1 save)


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

OMB, are there any open flames in the immediately visible vicinity?


There are open flames beneath the pot of stew cooking. Think standard cook fire size.


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

Songan takes another quick step back from the bulette, knowing that whatever physical weapons he has have little chance of actually affecting the drunken creature. His mind whirls, trying to think of something he can do to affect the fight.

As if on cue, a flickering fire beneath a nearby stew pot catches his eye and one of the few options that are left to him jumps to the front of his thoughts. He turns to the fire and shouts, as loudly as he can, "Shut your eyes!"

His spell woven quickly, the fire beneath the stew pot seems to flicker, briefly dimming, when it suddenly explodes upward, the fire turning into multiple, blindingly bright bursts of light that explode in brief flashes of color.

Casting Pyrotechnics (Fireworks). Will save (DC 15) or blinded for 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 rounds.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Surprised by the vicious assault from the Bulette, Lena's first instinct is to run. Seeing her companions standing firm and Mevakh's axe swinging steadies her morale. Sensing that the beast is starting to get injured, Lena grits through the pain and continues the attack.

Flank with Mevakh (using 5 ft. step if necessary) if possible. AC is back to 19.
Also do I need to save vs Songan's pyrotechnics if so Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Switch judgement to fast healing (2) then attack the Bulette

Falcata: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 - 1 = 7 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 damage with 2d6 ⇒ (5, 3) = 8 sneak attack

rubbish


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Being much more of a thinker than a fighter, Catila again resorts to her supersonic magic to try and damage the beast. With a whistle, she fires a ray of sonic energy at their foe.

Ranged Touch attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Sonic Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Bulette Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Round 3:
20 Lena
18 Catila
18 Songan
17 Gellius
17 Bulette
7 Leralt
4 Mevakh

Lena raises her sword and again tries to penetrate the thing's armor, but the toughness of the plate, combined with the sudden flash of the cooking fire erupting into bright light and blinding her, ruins her attack and her sword skitters along the side of the beast.

Catila launches a bolt of pure sound at the thing, but hearing seems not to be its weak point and it has no effect on the creature. Catila Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 Still, she is able to tightly close her eyes when the cooking fire erupts, preventing her from being blinded!

Songan beckons toward the fire and barks a word in fluid syllables that causes the flames to erupt in multi-colored bursts of light, sending ooos and ahhhs from the colonists and blinding the beast as well as Lena!

Gellius' magically enhanced sight leads him to notice a certain vulnerability whenever the bulette flexes its shoulders, where two plates slide away to reveal a patch of unarmored muscle. A sudden exhalation and his dart hits home, transferring its poison into the beast's bloodstream. Poison Fort save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 The bulette shudders slightly, but other than a small wound, it doesn't seem to have suffered any debilitating effects... Next round, however...

The bulette lets out a sudden, frightened bleat as it goes blind, panicking with the surprise. 1d8 ⇒ 2 It suddenly dashes forward and slightly to Songan's left, barreling forward in an effort to escape the situation. I need Will Saves to avoid being blinded from Leralt and Mevakh, with a +2 because Songan warned you. Then I need Attacks of Opportunity from anyone not blinded!

Unfortunately the bulette's trajectory carries it straight toward a mass of colonists and unless it's stopped, there's likely be injuries from its mad trample.

Leralt and Mevahk are up!


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

Well..it being blind should make it a lot easier to hit, at least. Also, per rules for blindness, the bulette must make a DC 10 Acrobatics check to move more than half its' speed or fall prone. Odds of failure are nill, I know, but I can hope for another nat-1!


Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Will Save vs DC 15
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Leralt directs the flaming ball at the beast yet again and recast his last spell. Grinding his teeth slightly after the spell at the sight of some of the others actions.

"Would you stop acting like this is a stray dog or something. Its dangerous and fully capable of killing people, even by accident. Stop holding back and knock it out."

Flaming Sphere (DC 17)
3d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 3) = 9

Magic Missile
2d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 4) + 2 = 9


Male Half-Orc Paladin of the Sacred Shield 4

Will save 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Round 3, Initiative 4
hp 47/47; AC 23/13T/22FF; +12F/+5R/+8W
MA: Move between bullette and colonists
SA: Holy Shield (2/4 LoH left)

Mevakh rushes to catch up with the creature, his eyes barely shut long enough to avoid being blinded by the sudden flash. His armor clangs loudly as he runs to ensure that it will not run headlong into the colonists. He interjects his body between them to protect his charges, then channels all of his holy might into his shield. He erupts in a flash of light that emanates from the shield, which he holds up defiantly to the charging, blinded beast.

All adjacent allies will gain his +3 shield bonus.


Leralt again directs his flaming sphere to attack the blinded bulette while sending darts of force at it. Blinded condition states that all checks or activities based on sight automatically fail. I'm going to state that a Reflex save counts for that. Any objections? The bulette is unable to dodge so the fiery sphere strikes it solidly. It squeals in pain, scorched and beaten from the force strikes.

Mevakh valiantly steps in front of the colonists, his shield raised high to protect his wards. The beast blunders blindly forward, CMB: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33; Miss Chance: 1d100 ⇒ 21, its thick claws digging troughs into the ground. It seems destined to run down the paladin and his wards, but the sudden flash of holy light seems to have startled the creature, causing it to pull up suddenly, stopping just shy of the paladin and snorting worriedly as it tries to pinpoint an escape route.

Lena, Catila, Songan and Gellius are up!


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Cheers Songan!

Not being able to see anything, Lena crouches down into a defensive stance, eyes desperately trying to recover from the massive over-stimulation.

Stowing her crossbow, she calls on Abadar to soothe her injuries that she might continue to fight the beast.

Enter total defence and cast cure light wounds
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Maintain healing judgement.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

No objections, though I would argue that the beast has other senses it can rely upon to warn it enough to move out of the way (like hearing the crackle of the fire, feeling the heat, etc.)

Knowing the dosage of the poison may not overcome the beast's natural fortitude, but wishing to take advantage of its sudden blindess, Krupt pulls a bubbling vial from his apron, anxious to have a chance to field test what he believes to be a successful experiment. He waits for the opportune moment, not wanting to waste it if the monster succumbs to the full effects of the blue whinnis.

Gellius will delay his action to see if the secondary effects of the poison go into effect. If the beast keeps fighting, he'll drink the mutagen and move into melee range.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Knowing the beast is not much longer for this world, Catila again tries her sonic attack

Ranged Touch attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Sonic Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

Songan, having no weapon drawn, is unfortunately unable to capitalize on the opportunity presented by the blinded beast. Knowing that it will not last much longer, he moves toward Mevakh, pulling a scroll from his backpack as he does.

When he reaches the half-orc, he quickly reads the incantation off of the scroll, then taps him on the shoulder as the magic courses through his fingertips and into Mevakh, causing him to instantly grow in height and weight by multitudes, leaving him much closer to the size of the foe that they are no tangling with.

Use Scroll of Enlarge Person on Mevakh. +2 Str, -2 Dex, -1 Attack and AC, weapon damage becomes 2d6


Lena calls upon the blessings of her god to heal her wounds, while Catila once more launches her sonic attack at the creature. This time her aim is true and the beast lets out a surprised yelp as the sonic energy pummels it. Songan casts a spell of enlargement upon Mevakh, while Gellius hangs back, clearly curious as to what happens next.

The bulette seems momentarily confused. Suddenly it shudders, violent spasms wracking its body. Fort Save vs Secondary Effect: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 The shudders pass, however and the creature remains conscious, blind and terrified. It lashes out at Mevakh, blindly biting and clawing at the paladin. Bite: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16 and Claw 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 and Claw 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10. Only 1 claw seems to land, Miss Chance: 1d100 ⇒ 56, striking the paladin for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 damage.

Gellius, Leralt and Mevakh are up!


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt directs the flaming ball towards the monster. Casting a simple spell this time, he tosses a handful acid at the beast.

Flaming Sphere (DC 17)
3d6 ⇒ (1, 6, 1) = 8

Acid Splash
RTA 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
ADmg 1d3 ⇒ 2


Male Half-Orc Paladin of the Sacred Shield 4

Round 4, Initiative 4
hp 44/47; AC 19/9T/18FF; +12F/+4R/+8W
FRA: Axe vs. Bulette 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
> Damage 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 1) + 3 = 10

Enlarged by Songan's magic, Mevakh towers over the others and stands eye-to-eye with the crazed creature. He holds his shield out in front of him while delivering a powerful upward strike with his battleaxe. It scrapes up the beast's stony hide, but the powerful blow gashes a deep wound in the bulette. He stays silent as he attacks, keeping his full attention on the creature.


Between Leralt's flaming sphere and the masterful swing by the gigantic Mevakh, the creature finally falls, its blood leaking onto the ground as it gives up its final breath. The colonists collectively breathe a sigh of relief as the creature falls.

What now?

Dr Krupt:
You note, being a student of anatomy, that the heavy plate of the creature would be just about perfectly sized to create plate armor for a single medium sized person, provided the armorer was skilled enough to create it without committing too many errors.


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Now that the beast was no longer a threat he slowly gets closer to examine it along with the substance that caused its actions.

Knowledge:

Knowledge (Arcana) 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17
Knowledge (Nature) 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

Edit-Well that should get me all the info we need. Is it dead or knocked out?


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

"Given our limited resources, if we've a highly skilled smith here I'd recommend skinning the beast. Those plates could serve as armor for one of our warriors. Just be sure the person is truly competent. There's not enough to waste on mistakes."

With that, he tucks his bottle away and likewise goes to examine any remains of the fruit that intoxicated the creature. Knowledge(nature)check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Recovering her wits and her vision, Lena slowly stands and takes in the scene around her. By the lack of sounds of combat she assumes the fight is over and thus sheaths her sword.

The beast was dead and with no casualties from the group or the colony as far as she could see.

"Well done everyone" Lena comments before turning to Songan "Although I'd appreciate a bit more discrimination when throwing about magic like that! If it wasn't for Mevakh providing a larger target, that thing could have flattened me while I lay there helpless"

In response to Dr. Krupt's observation;

"Lets see to gutting this thing then"

If no-one else in the colony has any skill with skinning creatures, Lena will have a go herself though she will defer to anyone with the appropriate training.


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

"Apologies, Lena. It was my intent to keep anyone from being affected by the spell when I shouted, but it seems not enough warning was given. I will try to be more mindful in the future. Though thankfully, the beast was just as affected by the spell as you were."

"What does bulette taste like, anyway? I can't say I've ever experienced that particular delicacy...though the armor plating would certainly be a helpful scavenge. I've skinned some animals before back on the mainland, but never anything this large or with skin so tough. I'm willing to give it a go with you, though." he answers.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Breathing a sigh of relief along with the others, but also feeling more than a tinge of sadness for the creature as she felt that it's actions had not been malicious, merely addled, Catila approaches closer as well. As she peeks over the shoulders of those examining the bulettle she asks "Can either of you tell if the beast intoxicated itself by accident, or if it was done on purpose?"

Her question asked, she leaves the two to their work and spends some time consoling the colonists, soothing their frayed nerves, making sure none are injured, and even making up a funny, ribald song about drunk bulette's in heat and how tasty she's heard their meat is.
Perform sing: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Once satisfied that everyone is relaxed and assured that this most recent crisis is past, she begins tracking the creature back where it came from. She does not move out of site of the walls however.
Perception(tracking): 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 11 + 1 = 27

Thought I posted this a couple of days ago!


Leralt:
The creature appears to be a normal juvenile of its species. The substance on its mouth is fermented mango paste, except you recall that mangoes do not ferment on their own, they require careful cultivation and the addition of specific yeast to ferment. On a related note, their paste is quite tasty! Still, this could not have been a random occurrence: someone gave this creature the paste.

Lena and Dr Krupt begin to dissect the creature. Lena works slowly but carefully to remove the heavy plating from the carcass. The internal organs are quite compact, with the stomach having several compartments and taking up most of the internal space. The stomach contains remains of some sort of fruit paste, as well as the bones of several animals and one noteworthy thing: a fist sized pearl that seems to have survived digestion. Songan is able to help with the skinning as well, though he quickly discovers that the edible portion of a bulette is a small thing indeed, as most of the flesh is muscle too tough to eat.

Catila's song soon has the colonists humming and laughing and the mood in the colony improves quickly. Once work has begun on repairing the breach in the walls, Catila heads off to see if she can track the creature. She finds its trail easily, backtracking to a curious discovery. A large wooden bowl of fermented mango paste sits on the ground, displaying large bite marks where the beast ate from it only a mere 100 yards from the walls of the colony. Judging from the wide crushed plants, the beast was dragged here on a sledge of some sort, probably unconscious and left here, along with the bowl and paste. As you head back toward the fort, you see evidence that someone has put paste on trees and bushes leading to the fort, a scent trail of sorts.

Clearly this was no accident. The only clues Catila finds to indicate who did this are some footprints near the sledge: small humanoid sized footprints, and what appears to be a bone utensil used to spread the paste on the trees...


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt rubs some of the paste between his fingers.

"Fermented mango paste was fed to the beast. If I had to venture a guess I would say that the Bone Takers did this or their is another party on this island we are unaware of. The People don't do this kind of thing, nor would they need to. As for the Guardians they would not need the beast or send it alone, does not seem their style. The Bone Takers have already tried to fool us before and tend not to act directly if they can help it. Seems reasonable it's their doing. I am starting to think we should give a response."

It seemed like one thing after another. Their was no time to do anything, they had a deadline after all with the Guardians. Not as if they could ask for an extension, at this rate the disease would kill them all before they could even rebuild defenses with all the interruptions. Which he thought was just what the Bone Takers and their masters wanted, drag things out to let the disease do its work.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Coming back just in time to hear the end of Leralt's speech, Cailta plops down a big bowl she was carrying, along with some bone tools. Both the bowl and the tools contain remains of fermented mango paste on them.

Feeling a rare anger at the continued actions of the Bone Takers which threaten the lives of the colonists she has sworn to protect, Catila expresses herself. The fact that those she speaks against are distant kinsman likely only adds fuel to the fire of her anger. "Lealt has the right of it. There is no question in my mind that the Bone Takers did this. The poor Bulette was dragged out, almost certainly unconscious, and dumped close to our fort. This bowl of fermented mango paste would've been sitting right there when it awoke and these tools were used to paint mango paste on trees leading right up to our 'front door', so to speak. I agree completely that the time is well past for us to take the fight to them. If we don't, their assaults will just keep getting bigger and deadlier. We need to take out the threat they represent now, or at the very least make it clear to them we are not to be trifled with. I found some traces of their trail in the woods. Perhaps one of you more skilled at tracking could follow their trail back to where they come from."

Earlier:

"Not very clever at covering up their activities, are they?" Catila mumbles to herself as she shakes her head.

To confirm her suspicions, Catila removes her shoes and places her feet next to the footprints she sees.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Lena does her best to help Songan and Gellius relieve the Bulette of it's flesh and armour plating. While they work, Lena makes small talk to try and ease any tension which might remain from the fight.

When Catila returns, Lena's ears prick up at the mention of the Bone Takers. She looks up from her work, wiping blood from her forearms and stepping over to Catila.

"It is about time we started to make ourselves known to these savages as something more than simply scared intruders. I am in favour of tracking these Bone Takers down and taking the fight to them"

751 to 800 of 1,224 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / On Abadar's Secret Service All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.