Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

On Abadar's Secret Service (Inactive)

Game Master James Martin

A game of colonization and exploration in a new land with new dangers and threats.


701 to 750 of 1,224 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt shrugs, he would leave it until he had the ability to destroy it once and for all. Undead were hunted and killed by movanic deva's so it would be the same result. At that point if it was in his power he would summon one to take care of its own, seemed fitting.

"I am well aware of what it is, it can not be allowed free. It is a danger not only to us but to the colonist. I suggest we leave it here until we have the ability to deal with it. It can kill us all and the colonist with little effort. I do not wish to gamble my life or those of the colonist."

Turning to the angel.

"I leave you to your mistrust. We have no reason to trust you in turn, we have lives to consider. Oh and if you had any sense, a trait your kind greatly lacks, you would know that by doing nothing you help your enemy. You only assume we are after information Japheel wanted, we never once asked you anything of that nature. Such is the way of angels to judge without reason. You should hope we can undo the damage done by Japheel, before a second colony is lost. Should that happen, your hand will have played a part in it."

He would have liked to reason with the angel but it seemed Japheel had broken him. Currently no one, not even the group could deal with the deva. Leaving it chained was best.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

"Leralt! Please cease and desist!" her frustration with the dark mage was growing moment by moment. Why did one so clearly poor at negotiation continue speaking for the group and potentially damaging relations with all their potential allies?? If he continued in such a vien she really was going to punch him.

"Please, peace gentle being. This one here does not speak for the rest of us. Please let us begin again. At least one thing my companion has said though is accurate- we are not your enemies. Can you not tell that we count a Paladin amongst our number? But It is clear you have suffered from unimaginable torture and lonely waiting, on a level I'm sure our merely mortal minds can hardly comprehend. And therefore your reason for distrusting us, or anyone for that, is well founded. For what it is worth, my heart goes out to you and I am so very sorry for your suffering. I am Catila. May we know your name? Also, I think a little more light in here would be nice, yes?" she finishes with a hopeful smile while she conjures four globes of light to hover in near the ceiling of the room.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

From the moment she had entered the room, Catila's eyes had widened dramatically in fascinated curiosity. So many interesting things! It had been that very distraction which had allowed Leralt to almost make a disaster of this encounter.

Various Rolls:

K Arcana: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
K Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
K History: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
K Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Perception: 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 11 + 1 = 28
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

EDIT: When I first wrote and previewed the post, I had put all the spoilered rolls last. But then I thought it might look more aesthetically pleasing to put them first. But didn't consider how that would mess up my Dip roll! : P So I just move them back down to the bottom again. This is now how all the rolls originally were. Hope that's ok


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

Songan stands by quietly, having himself been about to interrupt Leralt when Catila does so first. He waits for her to finish before adding his own piece, using the interim time to examine the creature before them, hoping that something in his memory will let him know what exactly this being is and how their group might be able to help him.

Knowledge Rolls:

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Knowledge (Planes): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Perception: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 1 = 17
Sense motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Woo! Heck yeah! That's what I'm talkin about!

"Catila has the right of it, sir. One can only imagine how long you have been sealed down here, forced to dwell in the darkness, with no one but your thoughts as company. As near as we can tell, it has been months since any humans were in this colony. Another group has now been sent to discover what happened to the first, as well as to try re-establishing a colony dedicated to Abadar here. We..." he pauses, gesturing to all those present before continuing,"...were sent with them to protect the new colonists and try to discover what happened to the old. I have never personally heard of this 'Japheel'...though I assume he was the mayor of the previous colonists. We were never given his name by the Arch-canon in Absalom. We have seen many things since coming here, both strange and terrible, but this...a creature of such beauty and grace as yourself being brought to this state...it breaks my heart to see the goodness and loveliness treasured by the likes of Shelyn brought to this. It is my hope that we can help you somehow...do something to reverse this horrible thing that has been done to you. What may we do to prove to you our sincerity? How can we show you that we are not only uninvolved with the one who came before us, but actively seeking to destroy the evil he has wrought?"

Diplomacy (Aid Another): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19


Catila:
No problem with the rolls! I've experienced the same quirk myself.

Wracking your brain produces a few items that may be pertinent to the situation. Something about this island, this place, has struck you as not quite right since you arrived. Perhaps the presence of outsiders might help explain it? As for the angel itself, it seems somewhat wasted, rotten and sunken. It does seem hopeless and despondent, but Leralt's words don't seem to have riled it any. It's as if it's reached a certain level of despair and nothing much could force it farther downward.

Songan:
Good rolls there!
The circle inset into the stone seems to be adamantine. If so, it would be terribly hard to destroy, and thus free the angel from bondage. But there's some other component that was used in the circle, something special. You're not sure yet what it is. However, it's not only a binding circle; it seems to be siphoning off the angel's vitality as well. But where it's sending this energy, you know not.

Movanic devas, as you recall, are tireless crusaders against evil, caring not much for law or chaos. They're like sheriffs, patrolling the planes to stop evil in its tracks. To see such a creature as this laid so low, it would take a tremendous act of evil.

As for history, you do not yet know enough regarding the history of this island to hazard a guess, but if some great evil were fought against in the past, as the mural showed, it would definitely be the sort of thing to attract devas.

As for the angel's state of mind, it truly believes you are simply illusions sent to torment it. It doesn't seem to bear you any ill will, no more than you would bear ill will against a mosquito that bites you; it's simply following its nature.

"Abadar? Shelyn? You speak the names of gods of good and light? And a paladin? I cannot sense beyond the circle, fae-child. It blunts my immortal senses. If you truly have the faith of a paladin, a holy crusader, let them step into my circle that I might test them. Then I will believe your words."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

Hearing this request, Krupt's eyes go to the circle surrounding the figure.

Knowledge(arcana) check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

Gellius must have skipped on the day they covered summoning and binding magics at the Arcanarium... =/

"That sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea. I'm for everyone staying on their sides of the binding magic."


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt studies the circle before speaking. Still not trusting the angel, it was powerful after all.

Knowledge (Arcana)
1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23

Thought it was covered in my last roll but here it is ;)


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

"I think it would be safe for Mevakh to step into the circle. I sense no ill will from the deva; or at least, no more malice or malcontent than a human feels for a gnat."

"Beyond that, there is something curious about this circle. I believe it to be made of adamantine, which would make it all but impossible for us to destroy...but there's something else there, too. I'm not sure what. Something special..unique. Further, the circle is siphoning off the deva's vitality and weakening him as well as trapping him. Devas being the tremendous force for good that they are, the thought of an entity powerful enough to do this...it's beyond chilling. Terrifying. I suspect that the deva's appearance here might have something to do with that mural we saw back in the laboratory...with the humanoids dancing around the insectoid giant with serpent-heads and rat-tails."

"Regardless...I am rambling. Ultimately, the decision of stepping into the circle with the angel is Mevakh's, and Mevakh's alone. So...what say you?" he asks, turning his gaze to their half-orc friend.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Her heart going out to the despondant angel even further, Catila, nearly fearless little being that she is, says "I am no Paladin bright one, but you may test me."

And looking to the big Paladin beside her, she moves to step into the circle. If she seems to hesitate slightly to allow him to enter a fraction before her, well, then that is surely just a trick of the light.

Just to be clear, I'm assuming our Fearless Paladin will enter the circle, but even if he does not do so, Catila still will...gulp!


Male Half-Orc Paladin of the Sacred Shield 4

Diplomacy (Aid to Catila) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Mevakh is a man of faith, and men of faith are sometimes required to take a leap of faith.

Mevakh steps into the circle, taking caution to step over it rather than shuffle his boots over the binding agents. Should he be wrong, it would be better for him to die alone with a bound creature than to set it loose upon the world. However, he does not believe that this will happen. "My poor brother, what has been done to you is a grave sin. Do not let it poison your soul. These are good and righteous allies of the light."


Catila bravely steps forward, but Mevakh stops her, stepping into it himself. Although the circle offers no resistance to him, once he steps inside, he feels the air change, as if suddenly heavy before a storm. The deva stares at him, suspiciously, as if not trusting the evidence of his senses, until finally, he steps forward and touches Mevakh's face.

For a moment nothing happens. Then the angel lets out a terrible howl, a sound of such anguish and pain that it breaks your heart to hear it. Then it collapses into Mevakh, sobbing and crying, clearly with relief and pain and anguish long pent up.

In between the sobs it says in gasps, "So long I spent here. So long I thought myself doomed to torment, cursed to anguish. I thought no one would ever come here again. I lost hope... So very long." Inside the circle the angel seems to brighten somewhat, his rotten wings and sunken eyes regaining a measure of their brightness.

Finally he seems to regain himself, and still touching Mevahk lightly, looks to the rest of you. "Please, I am sorry for my words. I thought you a terrible illusion, a trick of that demon Japheel. I am called Ionius. Who are you and how did you come to this place?"


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt thinks on the name, searching his mind for any information he may have come across this angel.

Knowledge (History and Planes?)
1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21
1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24

I swaer these dice have something against knowledge checks


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

"I am called Songan, a member of the race of catfolk. We all came here from Absalom in the Inner Sea. For some reason or other, we were all given an offer from the church of Abadar by Arch-canon Hausivius, who told us of a colony ship that had been sent to this island that was thought uninhabited by initial surveys. 250 colonists were sent here in the hopes of founding a new city, to be called Abadaria, that would be a shining example of the benefits of the rule of law in the world. When a supply ship for that colony arrived six months later, the colony was gone. Abandoned. It looked as if everyone had simply vanished from the face of Golarion."

"Though foul play was suspected, none of the new colonists were told; only those of us assigned to it as protectors. Since we've arrived...well..let's just say that it hasn't been the best few days. Our ship was destroyed by a bleachling gnome, our new mayor kidnapped, we met the People, a race of giant, long-lived, intelligent animals, our wizard here discovered some sort of daemon-statue, we learned that there is a curse of undeath on the colony and that most of us are already infected by it, there is some very strange place off in the jungle that was once a lake that is now birthing creatures that are...that are...well, we don't know, but certainly evil of the most terrible kind is responsible. Shortly thereafter our colony was beset by an army of vegepygmies calling themselves the Pale Guardians, but we managed to convince them to give us some time to try and solve this undead curse before they annihilate us all. They also returned the mayor. A hurricane then struck the colony, destroying the buildings that were already here, but we all managed to survive with the colonists none the worse for wear."

"Catila here then discovered a weasel calling himself Surrek, apparently with magical abilities, that had been stealing trinkets and knickknacks from the colony. He led us to what we assume was this 'Japheel's' underground, secret laboratory and showed us the secret door that led down here, where we found you." he finishes, drawing in a deep breath before looking to the others.

"Did I leave anything out?"


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

"You forgot to mention the Bonetakers who are allied or at least connected to the evil of this land. The daemonic statues are in fact part of the sealing system, not only made to contain the daemon with in but use its very life force as fuel to bind the greater evil sealed away in this land. I also suspect the former mayor and Japheel are one and the same or so the clues support that. I may be mistaken but that covers everything, that I am aware of anyways."


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

The little Gnome's heart breaks with both joy and sorrow over Ionius's terrible plight and torture and his joy over hope finally being restored. Unabashed tears flow freely down her face and her radiant smile.

Listening to the others, Catila looks back and forth until they are done and then, with some surprise says "You both left out the most important part! That at least one of these sealed deamons has been let loose! Presumably this was done by the former mayor, but we as yet have no way of knowing if only one deamon statue has been shattered and released of if, Abadar bless us, just the one. From what I understand of what Leralt has discovered, the breaking and release of enough of these statues may release the great evil they were long ago placed here to bind! Not to mention that we have at least one powerful deamon on the loose to contend with!"

Taking a deep breath, she calms herself and continues, moving forward towards the angel and, if permitted, grabbing it's hands in her small own. "But as dire as these events are, right now, at this moment, my concern is for you Ionius. What...what exactly has been done to you? And most importantly, what can we do to help you?"


The deva frowns as the history is spoken, and throughout the conversation still touches Mevakh as if he were a lifeline to something sacred. He sighs and nods at Catila's words. "I will answer as much as I am able. Japheel is a human man, though I know very little of him. He summoned me here... Well, I know not how long ago. He created this circle, he often gloated, to trap me specifically. Except he was incorrect. He used the dust of the bones of my predecessor, Ionius. You see, we devas can be created from the just souls of the dead, but in certain cases, we are given an office. I am called Ionius, of the office Ionius. It is a name and a title. My predecessor died on this island, during a battle against a great evil. His remains were interred here, and when his duty again became active, I was created to serve that duty. So Japheel sought to summon Ionius through his remains, but instead he summoned Ionius the successor. I could not answer his questions, but the circle mixed with the dust of the blood of my predecessor is a powerful binding. The circle must be destroyed for me to be freed, and being of the adamantine, it is quite resistant."

"Japheel is a wicked man. He wanted answers and he tortured me to get them, with spells, with pain, with illusions of escape and hope. He wanted to know how to unbind the Plague Lord. I have none of the memories of my predecessor, simply his duty. I could not and would not answer him. So he tortured me further. Day after day after day. When I would not answer, he altered the spell in this circle, draining me of strength. I know not where my vitality goes, but being in your presence," He smiles warmly at Mevakh, " is like being whole again. I can feel a little like home again." He pauses, as if breathing in clean air for the first time in a long time.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Giving the hands a warm squeeze and a smile, Catila lets go and begins pacing back and forth, pulling on her lip again as is her wont when cogitating. As if just remembering something she suddenly looks up towards the stairs and calls loudly "Surrek! Come down here! I assure you it is completely safe! There is something, someone most wonderful down here that you must see and meet! And as well, as Ambassador to your People, I am sure they will be most glad of the great news you will bring them afterwords!" shrugging her shoulders after this, she leaves it to the weasel whether he wishes to join them or not and continues to pace.

As she asks her questions out loud, her voice rapid in her excitement and the questions following non stop, one after the other, she often glances at Leralt, indicating she seeks his expert opinion as well "Hmm, well, adamantine is indeed a strong metal, but it can certainly be destroyed. But does the entire circle need to be destroyed, or just a part of it? And how long has it been since you have seen Japheel now? Do you have any idea what may have happened to him? And was he always alone, or did he have an assistant? And who, or what is this Plague Lord'? I assume that this is the great evil entity trapped on this island? And what are the responsibilities of the 'Office of Ionius? And why were you recently called to reopen and fill it?" finally seeming to realize that she may be overwhelming the still weakened being she smiles somewhat embarraedly and ends with "Ah, my apologies Ionius! Sometimes my inquisitive nature gets the best of me. But one final question, for now at least, if I may? Please understand and believe that your answer shall have no bearing on our, or at least my desire and intention to free you, but, assuming we can and do, will you then be willing to help us at all in our fight against the evils of this land?"


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt holds up a hand at Catila's guess.

"Unless you did not tell me of such a find we have no proof that he has destroyed a statue. I have one that he hid in the mayor hall library and another from our furry friend that was left here in his hidden lab. The circle above is proof that he may have summoned other daemons, but as of yet we have not found the remains of a broken statue or directly encountered a daemon."

He thinks on the first statue's daemon attempting to trick him into destroying it. Yet he was far weaker then Japheel in magical power that was plain to see. Another idea came to mind.

"You know I just realized why would you make such a breakable vessal to bind something so powerful. Time and simple misfortune could wear away or destroy it with ease. Unless they are not as easy to destroy as they appear. After all if his goal was to release the Plague Lord why would he need to ask Ionius, better yet with two statues why not simply break them. His power and knowledge are certainly greater then mine, if I could uncover the statues purpose he should have as well. The only reasonable thought that comes to mind is that he could not destroy them. He needed to find another way around that and so he summoned Ionius to find that way. That makes more sense to me, do you agree?"

Edit-Got ninja'ed by the gnome. Anyways I am still waiting on my knowledge arcana result for the circle from earlier so cant answer you about that right now. xP


"Because such statues can't be broken by the guilty, only by the innocent." Ionius says in a much deeper voice, though he seems confused by the words as he speaks them. "Because simply hiding a key leads to someone always finding it. But if you make it impossible for those of vile soul to release it, it is much safer. At least until people who are not meant to be here arrive on an island that is not supposed to exist." The voice seems to echo, seemingly coming from far away. Ionius himself looks shocked and confused by the voice issuing from himself.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Didn't we determine that the pottery remains and shards in the circle in the field were that of one of the statues?


Yes, the shards were a broken statue. And you have two unbroken statues now: one from the hidden place in the mayor's office and one from Surrek's hoard.


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Ok I thought that was just a normal statue, we had not found a daemon statue at that point did we. Maybe it slipped my mind or I did not make the connection. xD


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

No worries. But so just to keep things in line IC

At Leralt's statement Catila tips her head to the side curiously and corrects him. The genuine smile on her face though takes away whatever slight sting might be in her words "Leralt, you have been spending too much time with your nose stuck in your books I think. Do you not recall one of the very first things we found on our first forray outside the colony? The shards in the circle? In the field? This is why the matter is so distressing and urgent. For we know for sure that the statues can be broken, if not how. And we don't know how many other unbrokenstatues there might be out there. Or even how many statues, and daemons within, there are on this da.." she glances quickly and somewhat guiltily at the angel "[...this island"

At that moment that angel speaks up, in a Voice that seems to come from somewhere, or someone, other than Ionius himself. As a little shiver runs down her spine she asks quietly "Ionius? Is...is that you? What did that mean?"


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Lena's blood freezes at this the abrupt shift in the Deva's voice. Suddenly wary, she carefully asks:

"What do you mean 'an island that was not meant to exist?"

sense motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Lena:
The voice seems sincere, if strained somehow.

Ionius opens his mouth, but the voice that comes out is not his. "I am Ionius. Speaking like this is difficult. I cannot endure long. This island is a prison..." Suddenly the voice fades in and out and some of its message is lost. "...He must not be allowed to escape. The fungus men were given... serve as guardians of the cage. Starfall brought the... everything more complicated. It weighed down the ethereal nature... sending it into phase with this plane. It is not supposed... You are not supposed to be here. Mortals have introduced a wild element... It must go back. It must be set right. He must not be allowed to escape... find the First Key. Seek the ... fire which does not burn. I will help... but I have expended my strength." Suddenly Ionius collapses in the circle, sweating and breathing heavily. In his normal voice, he whispers "There is no more. I cannot feel him now."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

"It appears that since Ionius is an office, the vacancy has since been filled while this one was imprisoned," says Krupt. He pulls his journal from its pocket, uncorks the ink bottle, and begins to scribble notes. "The celestial bureaucracy is efficient. Here's hoping the prophetic babble will be obvious once we've found what we're looking for."


Leralt:
Sorry, thought I answered your question, but it was in a different character's spoiler.

The circle appears to be made of adamantine, but mixed with something else. It functions as a very specific binding circle, with some odd change: it appears to be siphoning the vitality from the angel and sending it somewhere else. You can't be sure exactly where...

Ionis shivers. "I do not believe it was sent from another angel. The presence was very far away, and it was so cold there."


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

"Adamantine is hard to break, I do not have that ability currently. If we could find something made out of pure adamantine then we could attempt to break it, while I would not approve of that, only a small part of the circle must be broken for the magic to be dispelled. What concerns me is that this circle acts in the same fashsion as the statues, it drains the life force to power something else. I have no idea where or what it powers. Seeing as it was created by this Japheel, I doubt its good. As for the statues, if enough had been broken I am sure we would know. If many were broken then we would also know as daemons seek souls and destruction. They would seek the easy victims of our colony and the release of their brothers. I would guess that the one released etheir fell under Japheel's control or was destroyed. A daemon left on its own will attract attention sooner or later."


The angel shakes his head. "I know not what office Japheel held. He wore fine enough clothes when he visited me, but smelled of smoke and ash. He never displayed any sort of holy symbol and the only time he spoke of the people above was to say that unless I helped him, he would see them all slaughtered. I could not answer his questions, I could not save anyone. When he stopped coming down I thought he had fulfilled his plan. I simply waited for either oblivion or his next torture."


Male Half-Orc Paladin of the Sacred Shield 4

Mevakh speaks quietly and gently to the angel. "You will find neither from us, friend. We will see you freed. I pledge this to you." He glares at Leralt, clearly making his wishes known and planting the message that he will not brook any resistance to the idea.


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Leralt answers only with a raised eyebrow. The half orc could say what he wanted and glare at him until his eyes popped out of his head. Leralt would not help release something he could not handle, not that it mattered. That circle was made of adamantine and empowered by magic, it would not be broken by anything less.

Anyone got anymore questions cause I got nothing. xP

DM OMB:

You never answered my question from the discussion thread.


Mevakh's words seem to inspire the angel, who bows his head, tears of joy falling from his eyes. "Thank you so much for bringing hope to me. I believe in you and in this faith, I can endure however long it takes. If there is anything that I can do for you, please you have only to ask."

Surrek meanwhile, has only come down as far as the door, watching the entire exchange. His ears twitch suddenly, and from above you you feel a rumble and hear a boom of something loud, possibly thunder.


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Feeling and hearing the disturbance above.

"Oh great with our luck its another disaster. If you would pardon me."

Leralt turns around going back to the surface to check on what is going on. Hopefully it was nothing bad, but he doubted. Passing the weasel.

"Ambassador, are you joining. I am going to pop my head out and see whats going on."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

"Yes, I suppose we should retire to the surface. We're about overdue for another disaster."


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

"I have no more questions for Ionius at this stage. Lets head back up "


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Your honor, the prosecution rests in the case of Captive Angel v. Daemons. Your witness.


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

Songan, at this point having been entirely enraptured by the conversation with Ionius, seems very put off by the sudden noise from above-ground. "Oh, bother. You finally get your 'save-the-universe' quest and Gozreh decides to interrupt the fun. That's life, I suppose. Ionius, for what my word is worth, I wish to see you freed as quickly as possible. I will do all I can to see you returned to your former glory. I pledge that to you. I feel we will return as soon as we are able and I'm certain will be willing to provide you pleasant company for the remainder of your imprisonment...which shall, with any luck, be short. That said, it was an honor and a pleasure to meet you, Sir Ionius. I look forward to future conversations with you." he adds, then turns to leave, meeting Surrek halfway up the stairs and inviting him to join Songan as he heads back to the hidden panel that brought them down, trying to listen for any further noises above-ground that may give indication of what is going on.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Catila as well, also taken up in the conversation, is unusually silent. However she is not so enraptured as to not notice the brooding mage's reaction to the idea of freeing the angel. Not wanting to have a confrontation now, she nevertheless determines to have a private discussion with him at some point.

Before the noise and everyone's leaving to investigate it, Catila asks a question, directed mainly at Leralt but open to all "Leralt, you mentioned that part of the magic in this circle is that it serves to drain energy from dear Ionius and send it somewhere else. Even if it takes time to break the circle, can we not devise a way to at least stop, or block, the energy drain and transfer?"

After the big boom:

Turning to the angel Catila again takes his hands, saying "Although it pains me, I must leave as well dear Ionius, as protecting the colony is our prime directive. But I promise I shall visit you frequently! And in the meantime, is there anything, anything at all we might bring you? Books perhaps? Or writing and drawing materials? Torches? Plants? Perhaps some colourful things to brighten up the space here for as long as you must remain here? Or is there anything else you might think of that might, at least in some small way, make your imprisonment easier to bear?" as she speaks she gets a little excited, thinking of all the ways she could brighten up his prison.

After Ionius answers, she gives his hands another squeeze and hurries out and up the stairs after the others. Finding Surrek, she moves near him asking "So, what did you think of all that?"

As she speaks though, he attention is on finding out what may have caused all the racket. Perception: 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 11 + 1 = 13


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

@Catila's Post

Leralt shakes his head.

"If it can get thru all this rock as well as other materials at such a distance then I would say nothing less then a dimensional blocking effect would do. That is beyond my ability, at that point I could break the circle so it would be a moot effort. The statue's are made the same way to reinforce the seal. If they could be easily blocked then their would be no need to break them in the first place."


As the party heads upward, Ionius smiles sadly, but for once hopefully and bids them goodbye, holding onto Mevahk's arm until he steps out of the circle.

Running upstairs and up the trapdoor reveals a scene of chaos. Colonists huddle behind walls and rubble to shelter themselves while a few brave souls, soldiers and sailors, wield makeshift weapons while attempting to to fend off a creature of the sort you've seen before...

The creature is as long and tall as a horse, but much wider, covered in heavy armor plates, with four thick clawed legs. At least a third of it is mouth, with rows of razor sharp teeth. It appears to a bulette, although smaller than the one you saw encased in crystal and this one appears not to be demonic. Rather its teeth are covered in blood red stains that resemble some sort of fruit and judging by its breath, the fruit were fermenting before it ate them. The bulette is young, frenzied and dead drunk.

Judging by a quick glance at the destruction, it seems to have broken through one of the gaps in the wall and appears to be headed for the stew currently brewing. The soldiers and sailors have managed to keep it away from the people, but since it drunkenly seems to be ignoring their weapons, they don't look to be able to contain it for much longer. Surrek, popping his head up, sees the thing and dives back down into the caverns with a squeal.

One of the soldiers sees you appear and calls out, "By Abadar's coin, help us! This thing is gone mad!"

Initiative, please.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

Initative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

"Yes, I'm sure the beast would be docile as a cow were it not suffering from some derangement..." mutters Krupt.


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

"Noooo, of course it couldn't be a simple storm! the catman mumbles.

Initiative:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18


Male Tiefling Void Elementalist 5

Initative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

"I dont suppose a big bucket of water will work to sober it up?"


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

"Oh great..."

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Male Half-Orc Paladin of the Sacred Shield 4

Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Mevakh is the last to leave Ionius, clasping the rotting angel's hand in a wordless embrace before stepping out over the adamantine circle. He is lost in thought with how to rescue the damned angel when he notices the crazed beast threatening the colonists. He pulls his shield and axe up, ready to interpose himself between them and the creature.


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Can't recall if this was brought up before or not, but perhaps it might save a fair bit of time if you just rolled Inits for everyone, OMB?

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

And did Ionius not respond at all to Catila's last questions? And I guess Surrek didn't get a chance to answer?


Hmm, it might save time. I'll try it next combat. And Ionius didn't respond as he hasn't really had any time to think about life with hope. He's been alone and despairing for so long that he needs time to process it before he can think of actually improving his quality of life.

20 Lena
18 Catila
18 Songan
17 Gellius
17 Bulette
7 Leralt
4 Mevakh

Bulette: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Lena, Catila and Songan are up!


Female Half-Elf Rogue 1/ Inquisitor 4. Init: +5, hp: 30/30 F: +4, R: +4, W: +7, AC: 18

Round One

Lena runs out of the tunnel into the daylight, her elven eyes quickly adjusting to the sudden change in luminance. Sensing the situation could turn ugly quickly she darts around the flank, drawing her intricately decorated crossbow.

Aiming at the massive monster, she proclaims a warning

"By the Golden Vault, if you harm this colony you will pay Abadar's price!"

Free: Activate combat expertise (AC 19)
Swift: Activate Judgement (+2 AC)
Move: Move out of doorway and begin to circle around the Bulette while drawing crossbow
Standard: Ready action to shoot the Bulette if it makes a threatening move towards one of us or the colonists.

I'll make the attack roll now to save time later (disregard it if the creature doesn't trigger it)

Crossbow: 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 2 - 1 = 15


Female Gnome Bard (Detective)/ 5

Is it K arcana to get info on the creature? If so: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Seeing the formidable creature and witnessing Lena's quick reaction to it, Catila calls out "Wait! This beast may be more than we can handle! And we certainly do not want to fight it here inside the colony. Let me speak with it!"

Before she attempts to speak with it though, the wily Detective knows she must first seek to distract it. Calling upon her blood-born powers, she casts Prestidigitation, using it to cause the stew to smell horrid, while at the same time causing the flavorful smell of the stew to become even more powerful and then begin drifting out of the same hole the bulette came in through, moving as necessary to keep the smell drifting ever further away.

As she works she continues to speak, but much more quietly and calmly "Put away your weapons, they are of little use anyway. Let us see if we can simply calm it and lead it away. Songan, can you fascinate the creature?"

If that wasn't clear, she's basically trying to use her magic to re-locate the smell of the stew which seems to have attracted the bulette here in the first place.


Male Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist) 1; HP 9/9; AC 13/13/10; F+1/R+5/W+2; Init +3; Per +7

"Took the words right outta my mouth!" Songan answers, immediately beginning to utter a stream of syllables that seem noteworthy for only their repetitiveness, a hypnotic sequence of letters that serve only to lull his target into a trance or a daze. There is no coherence to them, no actual language. It's apparently just some number of syllables that he repeats over and over that he chooses to use when trying to draw someone's (or something's) attention.

Initiating Bardic Performance (Fascinate); Will save DC 15


Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (vivisectonist) 5 (Init +2; AC 17, t12, ff15; hp 18/41; F+6/R+6/W+1)

At Catila's suggestion that they find a peaceable solution to this encounter, and Songan's agreement, the doctor looks at the two of them as if they'd just sprouted new limbs out of their foreheads. He shakes his head and moves out of the doorway moving to a position where no one blocks the path between him and the monster. As he does so, he pulls a vial from his apron.

Move action to get out and clear. Readying a fire breath extract if the beast attacks.

701 to 750 of 1,224 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / On Abadar's Secret Service All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.