Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Old Orleans, New Trouble: A Fallout Campaign

Game Master SinBlade06

Old Orleans is in trouble, but from what? A campaign based off of Fallout 3.


1 to 50 of 1,489 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Please imagine Ron Perlman reading this. Fits the setting better.

War...

War never changes. In the year 2077, the world was plunged into chaos, followed by nuclear fire and radiation. It was the apocalypse as many had thought. The world was uninhabitable. But not all of it...

The year is 2177, one hundred years since the war. Humanity has not been lost, but thrived. Deep in the irradiated marshes of Louisiana, the city of New Orleans has been repopulated and renamed Old Orleans in memory of what the city once was.

Humans, Super Mutants, and Ghouls all live under the rule of the Brotherhood of Steel, each keeping to a section of the city, but trade and connections are abundant.

The marshes outside the city are largely unexplored, and filled with mutated horrors and creatures that keep to themselves, unless some unfortunate soul tries to venture into the Marshes.

Outside the city, a Vault from before the war lets out a screeching sound as the giant steel door opens, and the Vault residents are introduced to what was once a thriving country, now almost entirely gone.

This is your story. This is where you will change the fate of a small group of people, the fate of a city, and possibly, the world...

I need to know what everyone will be doing when the Vault opens. Where you are, what you're doing, and why you're doing it. Here we go guys...


Male Ghoul Alchemist 3

Crispy and his brother are out scavenging the wasteland nearby the opening vault for food and water. Living the life of a Mercenary is hard work, but at least it pays well.

"Hey, bro, do you hear that? Sounds like a hissing sound. Wanna check it out?"


Female Human 3rd Barbarian

Lilith sits outside of a dumpster at what was once gas station outside of the outskirts of Old Orleans. She takes a drag off a cigarette looking on the horizon her axe in hand. She lets out a deep sigh tired from a days work of scavenging and trading. "maybe I should have just stayed in Alabama then I would not be dealing with slavers looking for an escaped slave...or raiders trying to steal my s*~~." she grumbles before standing up and taking one last drag before dropping the cigarette and stomping out the fire. Everything was hard to find, food, water, even smokes. "Better get to the city before dark, don't want to be outside the safety of an Inn before the sun sets.

I am gonna think smoking has no real effect since the player is not able to smoke in the game.


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

pursuant to our backstory, Scab and Crispy were scavenging outside nearby when it opened.

"Sure thing, brother," says Scab, "we could use some working hydraulic parts, even better if we can get the tech that operates it."


Male Ghoul Alchemist 3

"Tech we find out here is like finding an empty bottle of Nuka-Cola. But maybe we can scrap it."


Male Human Paladin 4

...and ensure the lost technology of the bygone era is placed into safekeeping.

One of the credos of the Brotherhood echoes through Brother Edward's mind as he observes the Vault door opening. On foot patrol and without significant supplies, the first order of business must be to establish contact with the Vault dwellers and ensure their reintroduction to the city is as seamless as possible.

I am not sure if Brother Edward's armor has a working radio transponder/receiver. If not, disregard the following.

"Knight Edward Monroe to Marsh Command, over. Vault door has opened. Repeat, Vault door has opened. Vault dwellers are exiting the structure and proceeding on foot towards Old Orleans. Knight Monroe moving to intercept. Unless otherwise directed, will assume Incident Command at Vault Door site and direct Vault dwellers on reintroduction/repatriation procedures. Knight Monroe out."

Moving with purpose, Brother Edward heads towards the now-open Vault door as quickly as he can. He keeps his AE9 laser rifle in hand, safety engaged. For now.


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

"Watch out, Frank. We've got ourselves a paladin clanking his way over toward that cave. Wonder what he's in a rush about."


Male Human 1 Cleric (Merciful Healer)

Trotting alongside the Knight at his side, Max appreciates the skills men such as him often show in the face of superior numbers. When those numbers overwhelm the skills, it is Max's job to patch up the holesand keep the Brother in the fight. Combat medics are a rare breed in this post-war world. With easy cash to be made in the "cities" that stretch across the blasted plains of what was once America, why would someone with his skills go out his way to place himself an enemy capable of putting down a Brotherhood Paladin and the downed warrior. Honor.

One of the last things a man in this world can still call his own is honor. Honor, he thinks to himself with a sirk as his companion Edward speaks into his comm-unit relaying the fact they have reached this freshly opened Vault.

"They give us any fragos on the orders, Monroe? These folks are gonna be in for a shock when they see this sh!@ for the first time, hahaha."

Assuming that it was going to okay to be linked up with Edward since they are both Brotherhood members.


Male Ghoul Alchemist 3

"You don't think that they're the reason for the sound, do you? I don't want to get in trouble with the Brotherhood... but you know? They might just have a few sticks of dynamite. You want to check it out?"


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

"of course I do. But if the paladin gets wild, let's have an evac plan. I'll draw him into the cave then run out, and blast the hole shut with him inside. Just a plan, we will try to play it nice first of course. "


Male Human Paladin 4

"Nothing as of yet, Medic. Keep your eyes open and your weapon ready."


Male

*dot*

Going back into the shadows to lurk now, bye bye [/handwave]


Female Human 3rd Barbarian

Lilith notices a loud screeching sound from further away from the city. She heads to the sound with slight caution her axe pulled out.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 Perception to see if she sees anyone around the area that the vault is at


Lilith doesn't see the others near the Vault entrance, nor do they see her.

Everyone who is near the Vault give me a perception check. Lilith doesn't need to make one, but if she does, it's at a -5 due to distance.


Human Alchemist 4|Init +1|HP 39/39|Fort 5|Ref 4|Will 4|AC 15

Perched prone atop one of the few preserved rooftops, Marcel watches the Brotherhood Knight carefully. "Now what's caught your attention, eh...?" he mutters to himself quietly. Starting, he listens to the message being passed into his ear through his earphone and hidden Enclave radio.

"All New Orleans agents, be advised; On Brotherhood Radio there is a report of the opening of a new Vault. Americans are exiting repeat exiting the Vault. Tin men are organizing induction and re-integration procedures. Orders from High Command arriving shortly. Next message will be in 2400 hours. Seek well, New Orleans agents. Repeat, All New Orleans agents, be advised..."

Marcel performs an instinctive salute, then dismounts the roof and slides onto the ground. In a practised routine he removes his earphones and stows his radio in a hidden patch in his backpack, pulling out scrap metal, Old War books and other trading goods to dangle on strings on each side of his backpack. He trudges off towards the Knight.


Human Alchemist 4|Init +1|HP 39/39|Fort 5|Ref 4|Will 4|AC 15

As he approaches, he looks over the Knight's shoulder and notices... something. "Am I that close?..."

Perception:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Female Human 3rd Barbarian

1d20 ⇒ 19


Male Human Paladin 4

Perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1

"Be on your guard, Logan. There's no telling what shape these Vault dwellers are in."

Once within range, Edward will prepare to detect evil on the folks moving out of the Vault.


Male Ghoul Alchemist 3

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Scab approaches the scene, Glock 86 Plasma pistol drawn but carried casually. He is moving to get a better view of the entrance.

Not wanting to sneak up on and startle the paladins, he gives a greeting in his gravelly voice, "Hail, paladins. What's going on here?"


Remember, in the city of Old Orleans, a drawn weapon may as well be a death threat. In the Marshes, it's just staying protected.


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

Are we in the town proper? if so i wouldn't draw my weapon. I had pictured this as more like the distance between Vault 101 and Megaton in Fallout 3. The paladin has his weapon drawn as well, but i suppose they always carry it at the alert.


You're not in town. This is the location between Vault 33 and Old Orleans. Sorry I didn't specify.


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

ok, weapon out, but not a threatening stance, and not trying to hide that i have a weapon (not that it'd do much vs power armor hahaha)


Male Human 1 Cleric (Merciful Healer)

Perception1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

"A wary is part of keeping you alive, Monroe. Hope these people are able to come out." Easing his weapon into place, Logan ensures a round is chambered. "No use taking chances in the Waste." "Think we will find anything of use here?


Male Human Paladin 4

"Certainly plenty of useful materials and technology. Most crucially, potentially thousands of new citizens to assist in rebuilding and restoring the community."

To Scab: "Hail, Prospector." Eyeing that plasma pistol closely, "Are you intending to enter that Vault immediately? If you can remain patient, I will ensure you are included in the official recovery/investigation team."

Edward's voice is mellow and even, at least as much as his helmet's speakers allow.

I assume detect evil tells me nothing.


Male Human 1 Cleric (Merciful Healer)

Holstering his .44, Max keeps a close eye on the unfortunate looking creature his companion has just greeted. "Anything we can help you, fellas with or are you just passing through?"

Will a knowledge check give us any info on this Vault?


Male Ghoul Alchemist 3

Crispy follows Scab, staying close in case the Brotherhood agents decide that these Ghouls shouldn't be where they are right now.

There's a Vault nearby?"


Detect Evil yields nothing conclusive.

Any knowledge about the Vaults up to this point has been speculation, since it has been shut up until now.

Due to very bad rolls, the DC to notice this was lowered. Originally Lilith, Scab, and Max would have noticed it. Brother Edward is the only one to not see this after adjustments. Max will relay what is seen. Stop looking at your shoes Edward!

After the steel door is rolled away the Vault is just about ripe for the picking. There is a red alarm light that is signaling the door's release. Inside the walls seem almost as pristine as the day the Vault was shut. Maybe a little more dust here and there.

As for the floods of people that are coming out...wait, there's no one there...

Max is still looking at his shoes and doesn't notice the skittering sound of Radroaches inside the vault. A sign that the Vault may not be as inhabited as you first thought..


Human Alchemist 4|Init +1|HP 39/39|Fort 5|Ref 4|Will 4|AC 15

Marcel walks up behind the small group slowly, looking over their shoulders. "Not the most impressive Vault opening I've ever seen" he says as he stands in line with them. "Anyone of you hear radroaches? I'm guessing something has befallen the poor souls within..."

In response to the blank visage of the Knight's helmet, he adds- "Marcel Wiseman, trader and scavenger when times are tough. Not sure which profession I will be acting in here; I see no new customers..."


Male Ghoul Alchemist 3

"The name's Frank, but you can call me Crispy. I hear the roaches. Anyone want to head in to check things out?"


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

"well paladin, looks like there will be less to recover and more to investigate. We'd gladly head in there with you if you wan to investigate, because I'm still interested in what there is to recover. "


Female Human 3rd Barbarian

Lilith approaches the group that has formed around the opened vault door. "Lilith Garndens, Scavenger and trader." She jeers as she feels the need to introduce herself. "Sounds like Radroachs found a leak in the vault and squirmed in...making food of the souls that resided witin. Seen cases like this many a times back in Red Stone Arsenal." She adds in hearing the roaches skitter about.

can I do a knowledge nature to see if I can identify anything special about the roaches?


Male Human Paladin 4

"Greetings to you all. The Brotherhood appreciates your offers to assist in the investigation of this newly opened Vault. If you will accompany Medic Logan and I, I will see you are compensated for your time. Of course, standard scavenge rules apply, as is customary round here."

Brother Edward heads toward the ope vault, rifle at the ready.

"Remain vigilant. No telling what is left deeper in."


Male Human 1 Cleric (Merciful Healer)

"Monroe, we got bad news. Looks like the radroaches may have had their way with the folks inside. Vault may be more of a tomb. I have no doubt you'll be able to deal with a few critters, haha.", Logan says. Drawing the large revolver from its place on his thigh,the medic prepares his scanners for detecting life of any one they find inside."Brother Edward, you taking point? I'll take up the rear with Mister...Marcel, right? Yes, Marcel."


Male Human Paladin 4

"Roger that, Logan. Monroe on point. Watch your corners and keep your eyes open."

Striding into the open Vault, Edward keeps his rifle loosely shouldered but slanted across his massive, metal plated chest.


Female Human 3rd Barbarian

Imma roll and DM can tell me if it did anything to help keep it rolling 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

" I can follow behind point...I guess. I prefer being up in their face after all." Lilith replies as she follows behind Edwards with her Shiskabab drawn, the fire roaring as she flicks the switch on.


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

"I'll stick just behind the front. I can see in the dim light better than you soft skins. Also I want to see what's salvageable. Keep your eyelids peeled, I'm pretty sure radroaches didn't open the door themselves. "


Male Human Paladin 4

"It's entirely possible it was an automatic device that opened the door."


Male Ghoul Alchemist 3

"I hate roaches. Too many legs."


Your knowledge check tells you nothing, as these radroaches are nothing special. You can tell there are a lot of them, but radroaches themselves are fairly weak. A good solid hit across the back will usually take them down.

You may make a full round attack and take out a radroach by simply stepping on it. You are a bigger threat to them than they are to you.

As you are headed inside, you see a large group of skeletons around the front door. These must have been the people that were trying to get into the Vault when it was closed. You also see about three radroaches nibbling on the bones of the skeletons.


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

"the legs have the most meat though"


Female Human 3rd Barbarian

Lilith grimaces at the radroach, "I swear These things are so gross every time I see them. Actually Scab the thorax has the most meat." She walks past one and crushes it with her foot the loud and definitive crunch filling the room.


Human Alchemist 4|Init +1|HP 39/39|Fort 5|Ref 4|Will 4|AC 15

Marcel grimaces in sync with Lilith as the 'roaches scuttle out. "Damn filth" he mutters as he pulls out a switchblade and swiftly stabs it through the nearest roach, replacing it on his belt.

"Let's go ahead... I met a traveller a long time ago with something from a vault called a 'pip-boy'. The things he could do with it...Might be a chance to get one here."

After quickly bending down to look over the skeletons, Marcel follows the group, craning his head around to watch the rear.

Appraise to see if there's anything of value left on the skeletons:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Perception:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Male Ghoul Alchemist 3

Perception to see if people are following us: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Perception to see if there is any movement further in: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Human 1 Cleric (Merciful Healer)

Are the bodies inside or outside the door?


The bodies are outside the Vault, as these people were trying to get in when the bombs fell. The Vault had already closed by then.

The third Radroach that was nibbling on a skeleton starts to flee outside, no longer a threat to you.

Crispy You're not sure, and you're not sure. Maybe another chunk of your hair fell into your eyes.

Marcel There are a few empty bottles of Nuka-Cola, some tin cans, but nothing of real value on the skeletons.

As you head into the Vault, the lights turn on in the entrance, showing two rooms to the north and east. Both appear to be unlocked. The north door has a sign above it that says "Storage" and the east door says "Vault" above it.

A Knowledge Engineering would be able to tell you more about the Vault door, but not about the Vault itself until you get further down into the Vault.


Female Human 3rd Barbarian

Lilith looks around the room before turning off her weapon and switching to her axe. She looks around before pointing out the storage, "We might want to go there first and get what we can. No telling what we will run into in the vault itself."


M Ghoul Engineer 4 (HP 25/27)

knowledge engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25


Scab's Knowledge tells you that this Vault was intended to be completely isolated from the outside world. Other Vaults at least let in radio signals. The door was also opened automatically, but it could be opened manually if need be.

Marcel and Edward's radios begins to cut, then goes quiet altogether as you enter the Vault. Command will not be holding your hand on this one.

The storage room is to the north, while the door with the word "Vault" above it is to the east.

1 to 50 of 1,489 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Old Orleans, New Trouble Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.