Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Of Gears and Greed (Inactive)

Game Master Nevynxxx

A slightly steampunked up Rise of the Runelords. I've stayed close to the text for this first part, but plan to move away from it as we progress....


751 to 800 of 1,829 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>

'Dean' Ninian Beard wrote:
Dean examines the items Reynard retrieved, searching for arcane auras. detect magic

Nothing, apart from the obvious auras of the scroll and the wand....


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

"Let's see what we have here," Dean murmurs, unrolling the scroll. "Hope it's not explosive runes." Using read magic to identify the scroll.

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1

That would be a scroll of burning hands.


"You say this wand is magical? May I examine it?" Wits holds the wand, examining it at length attempting to discern its function.

Appraise (to Identify): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Also, Wits would like to examine the book and wine. The book to see what it says, the wine to see the vintage and whether the bottle survived intact.


Wits Fizzlewick wrote:
"You say this wand is magical? May I examine it?" Wits holds the wand, examining it at length attempting to discern its function.

Technically, that would be a spellcraft check, combined with a detect magic....You didn't roll high enough to learn anything with that roll though...

The book is a bestiary of archaic and quite nasty form. A person of religious persuasion will probably be bale to tell you more, or a collector, but it looks to be worth some money.

The wine is a fairly nice, and definitely recent variety. It has been introduced into the dungeon, certainly in the last two years, most likely much more recently than that. Which is odd, when everything else is much older....


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

"Let me take a look at that book, my good Wits," Dean says, leaning over and removing it from the gnome's hands. Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


"Ah, yes. I'd like that back when you are finished examining it, please. Some of the drawings may hold the key to a particular issue I've been having with mutation duration.."

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1
'Dean' Ninian Beard wrote:
"Let me take a look at that book, my good Wits," Dean says, leaning over and removing it from the gnome's hands. Knowledge (religion) 1d20+4

The book reads as much like a bestiary of the world’s most horrifi c and cruel monsters (along with numerous woodcut illustrations of how they kill) as it does a religious text. But it clearly is supposed to represent the teachings of Lamashtu, Mother of Monsters...


Male Human Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger)

"By the looks of that wine, sombody's been down here recently, can't quite see one of these monsters having a taste for a descent vintage."


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Dean gingerly hands the text back to Wits, a look of distaste on his face. "I'd take care how much you choose to learn from that book, my friend. It's a religious text of the evil goddess of monsters." His expression changes. "Not that it wouldn't be worth a pretty penny from the right buyer." He turns to Reynard. "Agreed. All this," he motions about him at the catacombs, "has been down here for centuries without troubling Sandpoint. It can't be mere coincidence that no one has run across it until the unpleasantness at the parade." He sighs. "If only I'd known all this was down here, in my own backyard, so to speak, I shouldn't have had to go so far afield in search of valuable relics. Oh well." He heaves up his mutated goblin corpse once more. "Shall we go back and try that other door? I'm very curious to know if there's another entrance to this place other than the one in the Glassworks."


Returning to the previous unexplored room, reveals the crumbling remnants of several chairs and a long table cluttering the floor. To the south stand three stone doors, each bearing a strange symbol that resembles a seven-pointed star.

Beyond the doors lies what were once prison cells. Within each is a single skeleton of a badly deformed humanoid; one has three arms, another has an enormous misshapen skull, and the third has a ribcage that goes all the way down to its pelvis—a pelvis with stunted legbones strewn below its strangely flat girth.

Search: DC20:
A single intact scroll lies under a broken chair. It's runes are not a recognisable type, and seem spikey and archaic.


"Fascinating." Wits stares at the skeletons in the cells, mentally memorizing the scene and the strange mutations in his mind. Finishing this, he joins the room search.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

"Wits, my friend, we've hit the motherlode," Dean cries in delight as he sees the skeletons. "And what's this?" He pulls a scroll carefully from beneath the remains of a crumbled chair and unrolls it gingerly. "These runes are ancient. Anyone care to take a look?"


"Whoa! What the....? You know, this place just gets more freakish, the more we uncover." Then responding to Dean's question, "Not me. I don't know anything about ancient runes."


"I'm afraid I'm not versed in such things. Specialization being what it is, no time for it. However, I do agree: this place is strange. Odd that an experimental station of such complexity and obvious success should exist unknown under a town of relative size and age as Sandpoint without anyone discovering it before now. I admit, the bottle of wine does suggest that we are not the first, and the presence of the mutant goblinoid does also suggest that said discoverers were planning on returning. As it is, I see no food sources for the creature, so perhaps they are still here in the complex? I would very much like to meet the master of this house..."


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Retroactive Knowledge (religion) to know if the mutant goblin he's carrying around was alive or undead 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Heal check to determine the age of the mutated skeletons 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Dean moves in to examine the skeletons in the prison cells more closely. "Look here, Wits, would you say these mutations were natural, or the result of chemical agents -- or perhaps more crude surgical techniques? That is, did whoever imprisoned these creatures search them out for their mutations, like some kind of collector, or did he do this to them?"


Dean:
The Goblin was very much alive. As far as you can tell, the skeletons in this room have been undisturbed for some time.

Ok, decision time, You now have only one unexplored tunnel (I was wrong before when I said two, you've been down one of them...) left to investigate. To give you a chance to get your bearings, here's an up to date map

Any prep? Marching order? Etc etc

P.S.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

"Because the thing is," Dean continues as he stands up, "these skeletons have been dry bones for quite some time. That goblin, on the other hand, was very much alive before we remedied that little problem. So, a long time ago, someone was in here with mutations; and now ... has someone discovered this place and picked up where the original occupant left off?"


"Indeed. Let us explore that passage that still remains. Perhaps the master of this house of oddness awaits us there."


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Sir Herbert Atkins wrote:

Ok, decision time, You now have only one unexplored tunnel (I was wrong before when I said two, you've been down one of them...) left to investigate. To give you a chance to get your bearings, here's an up to date map

Any prep? Marching order? Etc etc

Which is the unexplored tunnel? The one below the one with the blue dot?

Dean takes up his precious dead goblin once again. "You, my friends," he gives the imprisoned skeletons a remorseful glance, "I'll have to come back for. I'll be happy to provide light for whoever wants to take the lead, but with this burden, I'd prefer to bring up the rear."


"I'll go first, no problem. You just keep the light up, Dean, and we'll be good to go."


'Dean' Ninian Beard wrote:
Which is the unexplored tunnel? The one below the one with the blue dot?

Yep

Winding back through the tunnels is uneventful, and easy. Once away from the zombies, the place goes deathly quiet again, the rock absorbing all noise.

The tunnel widens here into what appears to have once been a small shrine,
for to the northeast steps lead up to a platform of gray stone. Sitting atop the platform is an ancient altar, little more than a jagged block of black marble with a shallow concavity on top of it. This basin is filled with what appears to be filthy water.

Map


"For once, at least we aren't getting jumped by something freakish. Outside of the dirty old bath water, we're good!" Sounding pleasantly surprised they aren't getting attacked by some type of abomination creature.


Emmanuel Stokes wrote:
"For once, at least we aren't getting jumped by something freakish. Outside of the dirty old bath water, we're good!" Sounding pleasantly surprised they aren't getting attacked by some type of abomination creature.

Knowledge Religion: DC18:
The liquid pooled atop the altar is an unholy manifestation that appears on altars sacred to Lamashtu under the right conditions. Known as the Waters of Lamashtu, this liquid can be bottled and used as unholy water

Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Wits steps into the room, examining everything intently. "Indeed. I feel somewhat disappointed not to encounter some new variety of creature or monstrous remains in this room. Oh well, I suppose I should be grateful to have time to digest what I've already learned, rather than acquiring new specimens."

Wits will move to the fountain and peer inside, going so far as to stir the water with a crossbow bolt to see if activity ensues.

Untrained Knowledge: Religion 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Emmanuel bends down and watches Wits stir the water, "That's pretty gross, Wits. Although, I guess I should be grateful. At least you're not collecting it in your waterskin!" He smiles and gives him a big slap on the back.


There are a pair of double doors in front of you. What will you do?


"Of course not! One collects specimens in a vial, not a waterskin." Wits will remove some of the water, dipping a vial into it to fill it up.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

"Luc, this looks like a challenge up your alley," Dean invites, as he steps forward to examine the doors.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27 Any carvings or decorations? Any signs of a trap?

"Perhaps one is meant to approach with clean hands?" he surmises, looking from the basin to the doors.


'Dean' Ninian Beard wrote:
Perception 1d20+8 Any carvings or decorations? Any signs of a trap?

A single rune is carved deeply into the stone over both doors. It obviously had significance to someone, and the purpose of the room, but that significance is lost in time.


Male Human Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger)

Reynard reloads his crossbow as her waits for the doors to be opened.

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1

Up to date list of the encounters, the stuff you've found, and the XP you've gained. This is definitive XP wise, it may be wrong, but it's the way it is now ;)


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Nevynxxx wrote:
Up to date list of the encounters, the stuff you've found, and the XP you've gained. This is definitive XP wise, it may be wrong, but it's the way it is now ;)

Don't forget my mutant goblin corpse! ;)

"Well, Emanuel," Dean suggests as he steps back from the doors, "I didn't see anything suspicious. Do you want to do the honors?"


"Don't mind if I do." Emanual kicks open the doors with a size 14 and steps forward with his greatsword at the ready. "Let's see what's cookin' behind door number two!" He finishes with a horrible attempt at poetry.


Map.

The double doors crash open with a resounding bang. Whatever has been done to these doors to make them open smoothly, works just as well here, as it did earlier.

This huge room looks like nothing more than an immense underground cathedral. Stone doors stand to either side of the main entrance, but beyond this, the walls are carved with strange, spiky runes. In the centre of the room is a large pool, a ring of polished human skulls balanced on stone spikes arranged in a circle around the deeper midsection. At the far end of the room, a pair of stone stairways leads up to a pulpit on which sits a second pool, this one triangular and filled with churning, bubbling water that looks almost like translucent lava. Yet while wisps of what look like heat and steam rise from the strange orange liquid, the room itself is deathly cold.

Initiatives and placements Please...Don't worry about being too accurate about placement just "5 ft from x wall" etc will do, since the room is such a horrible angle ;)


"Well, this room certainly does not disappoint! Hello? Is the Master of this house here? We retrieved a bottle of wine you may wish to have, as well as a dead raven you certainly do not wish to have. Anyone home?" Wits calls out to the room, searching for the mystery owner.

Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Placement: Wits will be 10 feet into the room, peering into corners. Exactly where is of no particular consequence.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Leaving his dead goblin outside for safe keeping, Dean cautiously slips into the room, setting a bolt into his crossbow.

Initiative 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Dean will move 10 feet or so to the right of the double doors, keeping his back to the wall.


Emanuel walks forward towards the pool and looks in.

Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Male Human Ranger 4 (Urban Ranger)

Reynard walks 10 ft into the room, crossbow cocked as he stands in the center of the doorway


Init for Luc: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Init for Reynard: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Init
Witz: 19
Dean: 17
Luc: 8
Emanual: 8(lower dex)
Reynard: 7
Quasit: 5

As you enter the room, from the far end you hear a high pitched, female sounding screech. "You dare to intrude upon the Mother’s sanctum? You will die!"

Hovering above the pulpit is a small creature, ram horns curving back from it's head and lank hair hanging down. It has small wings that flutter fitfully.

Knowledge(Planes) DC12:
This little demon is one of the abyss' lessor creatures, it still can recover from damage quickly, and is immune to electricity, and poison. It is much harder than a mortal creature to damage, except with "Good" or "cold iron" weapons...


Knowledge (untrained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

"I say! A denizen of the Abyss. Greetings, denizen! Exactly who is this Mother of which you speak?"


Wits Fizzlewick wrote:

Knowledge (untrained): 1d20+3

"I say! A denizen of the Abyss. Greetings, denizen! Exactly who is this Mother of which you speak?"

Is that your whole action, sir?


Wits will draw his crossbow, but keep it lowered and not pointing at the creature. That will complete his actions.

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1
Wits Fizzlewick wrote:
Wits will draw his crossbow, but keep it lowered and not pointing at the creature. That will complete his actions.

Ok.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

"Die? We all shall one day, my diminutive friend. There's no call for that today, though. We are mere seekers after knowledge. I, like my companion, am most interested in hearing about your 'Mother.'"

Dean could use a CLW, but I don't know if he has any spells left. Let me go check what he's cast since he's been in the dungeon....

EDIT: Dang, looks like he's out of spells. I guess he'll just stand there and go total defense to improve his AC to 21. Btw, sorry, Wits, but Untrained: You cannot make an untrained Knowledge check with a DC higher than 10. Unless the DM has ruled otherwise, of course. :)


Sir Herbert Atkins wrote:
As you enter the room, from the far end you hear a high pitched, female sounding screech. "You dare to intrude upon the Mother’s sanctum? You will die!"

"Well I would hate for that to happen before I opened up my restaurant now would I?"

Emanuel hefts his greatsword and walks over to begin ascending the stairs. My count puts him at the first square going up on the lower staircase.


Luc also walks into the room, taking a position flanking the door, and fitting a crossbow bolt into place.

The Quasit takes a small, but very elaborate dagger from a sheath at her waist, and slowly cuts into her own palm, watching you all intently all the while. The action is slow, and almost defiant. A single drop of blood falls from her palm, into the orange waters below, and as it touches, the waters boil and bubble.

At first, this seems to be all that happens, but then a deformed head rises from the water, it's tri-fold mouth gaping in hunger, and soon, yet another of the beasts that have been guarding the catacombs emerges.

Perception DC20:
As it steps out of the waters, the action subsides, and the colour seems to fade a little, this seems to be a cause for concern for the quasit...

The spawn moves towards to the head of the steps that Emanuel is about the ascend. As it moves out, the Quasit vanishes...

Round 2.

Init
Witz: 19
Dean: 17
Spawn: 10
Luc: 8
Emanual: 8(lower dex)
Reynard: 7
Quasit: 5


Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

"I say! That is a cause for study, is it not?"

Wits will raise his crossbow and fire at the spawn!

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

751 to 800 of 1,829 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Of Gears and Greed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.