Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Nix's Serpent's Skull

Game Master Nix Tharel


201 to 250 of 523 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Jask's eyes grow big with anticipation as Jayem brings out the keyring. After a few tries, he finds a key that fits the lock. Does Jayem free him?

Checking the map of Desperation Bay, you can find a small representation of Smugger's Shiv. I can't find the given size in the book but the island is about 11 miles wide, and perhaps 16 miles long.


At the talk of the best place to camp, Sasha says, "So far we've had things from the Ocean try to eat us. Judging by the sounds I've heard from the Jungle, there are things that would eat us there." She pats the rapier and kukri sheathed at her sides, "I don't plan to let anything make me it's dinner, but I don't think we'll have to be vigilant no matter where we go."


Init +3, Perception +5, AC 18/13/15, CMD 15, HP 8, Fort 0/Ref 5/ Will 1

Harper drags Jask's chest to him as Jayem frees him. I am guessing this is your gear. You are an equal here. We will need each and everyone of us to survive this cursed island.


Albino Jungle Dwarf Alchemist 1) (Perc +4; Init +2; HP 11/11; AC15,T12,FF13; CMD 15; F+4,R+4,W+0 (+2 vs spells&poison)

Finding the right key, Jayem frees Jask. Be free. No man should be in di irons. Ah, di Haapa-man has brought di box. It be you box, we t'ink

He tosses the keyring to Harper. Di Haapa-man keep t'ese. We no need.

Then, he claims a spot at the campfire and resumes eating. I t'ink we see what be sun-ward. Di sun rising is good juju. Mebbe we find shelter there.


Male Elf Barbarian 1 (Invulnerable Rager)

Kalis snorts, "Magic is not to waste on water. Water can be found. And you do not live far from water where the women and children must hike every day to bring it back, you live close to it." He nods at the wisdom of his own words and then as an afterthought adds, "Not too close though, you can anger the god of a stream and they will bring a raging flood to kill you."


As you unlock Jask, he laughs estacially, then gives you a big bear hug. "Thank you, my friend! Thank you!" He opens the footlocker and removes an Holy Symbol of Nethys. He holds it in his hand, and starts praying. "Praise be to Nethys. May he send us his blessing." Everyone heals 5 points of damage as he Channels Energy. He continues to unpack gear from the footlocker, bringing out a spell component pouch, a fine dagger, and some leather armor.

"My friends, I can work to gather food and water." He motions to himself with his hands. "Let me take on some of this burden."

As the night starts to come, Jask will tell his story around the campfire his his deep raspy voice. "I used to work in Eleder, for the Sargavan goverment. As I have told you, I found evidence of corruption, but I was framed for the corruption instead. My pig of a boss must have been in on it. Faced with imprisonment, I fled all the way to Corentyn, where I lived a modest life as a scribe for a decade. I’d thought my enemies in Sargava had forgotten me, but then a Sargavan agent caught up with me and put me in irons. The agent handed me over to the Jenivere, to return me to Sargava for trial."

"One of the incriminating papers I found so long ago indicated that one of my superior’s contacts in the Shackles was a man named Avret Kinkarian. Kinkarian’s ship, the Brine Demon, reputedly wrecked here on Smuggler’s Shiv."

"If we can find that ship, and find evidence of the illicit dealings, then I could return to Eleder, and clear my name." Jasks slowly faces everyone in turn. "My friends, will you assist me in this?"


Male Elf Barbarian 1 (Invulnerable Rager)

Kali's frowns, "If we find that ship, then we will focus on supplies. I don't understand what else we would look for."


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

We work together to escape Shiv. If find Brine D'mon we get you paper.

Nngara then turns to the others.

If all work, then we leave island alive. If any not help, then man eaters be happy.


Kalis Daen'ith wrote:
Kali's frowns, "If we find that ship, then we will focus on supplies. I don't understand what else we would look for."

Jask responds, "The Captain's log book, official documents, letters or notes. Maybe there is nothing, maybe there is something. In any case, we can use whatever we find to the best of our advantage here. I think that is only fitting."

Anything else for the night? If not, do you want to scheduling guard details?


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

Nngara looks at the others: We need schedule for watching jungle. I can see good at night, but need rest for spells. Can take last watch and study magic at same time.

Also, we need choose who getting food, who getting water. If no have food and water, then we just like cook, only food for jungle creatures.


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

"I can see a good deal in the dark,
so night shifts are not a problem for me."


Albino Jungle Dwarf Alchemist 1) (Perc +4; Init +2; HP 11/11; AC15,T12,FF13; CMD 15; F+4,R+4,W+0 (+2 vs spells&poison)

We sleep now. Wake at the underworld hour. Darkest night no trouble for we.

Jayem will be keeping an eye out for rare roots, seeds, bugs and frogs.

Going to be making use of my Brew Potion feat, if Ican scavenge enough ingredients to pay crafting costs. He can also make àlchemical items like Alchemist's fire & thunderstones.


Init +3, Perception +5, AC 18/13/15, CMD 15, HP 8, Fort 0/Ref 5/ Will 1

I will take first watch.


Jayem wrote:
Going to be making use of my Brew Potion feat, if Ican scavenge enough ingredients to pay crafting costs. He can also make àlchemical items like Alchemist's fire & thunderstones.

I don't see a much better way to handle it. To keep balance in line, I'd say you'd have to 'pay' gold directly, but we can RP it as building from stuff you find the wild.

I think I recall seeing somewhere that you can spend 4 hours during the day to accomplish 2 hours progress while adventuring and such, though I can't recall where I read that. Seems like it might be applicable here.

I need to know how many watches, for how many hours you all want.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4
GM Nix wrote:
Jayem wrote:
Going to be making use of my Brew Potion feat, if Ican scavenge enough ingredients to pay crafting costs. He can also make àlchemical items like Alchemist's fire & thunderstones.

I don't see a much better way to handle it. To keep balance in line, I'd say you'd have to 'pay' gold directly, but we can RP it as building from stuff you find the wild.

I think I recall seeing somewhere that you can spend 4 hours during the day to accomplish 2 hours progress while adventuring and such, though I can't recall where I read that. Seems like it might be applicable here.

I need to know how many watches, for how many hours you all want.

Yup - 4 hours = 2 hours of crafting credit. It is in the second to last paragraph of the Creating Magic Items section.

Create Magic Items


Male Elf Barbarian 1 (Invulnerable Rager)

Kalis nods at Harper, "You may wake me after your watch and I will take my turn.


Sorry for the prolonged absence. I hope to be able to post more frequently soon

to Nngara: "I can conjure some water, at least enough to not have anyone thirsty. I can also assist in making the edible things we find actually safe to eat."

to Jask: "Brother, you have suffered from great injustice. My deity Abadar does not tolerate injustice. I will help you set your life right, and assist in implicating the corrupt."

Linard volunteers for the last watch.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Init +3, Perception +5, AC 18/13/15, CMD 15, HP 8, Fort 0/Ref 5/ Will 1

Perception for 1st watch: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


I will put the post up starting the next day tomorrow.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

I will take the last watch with someone so that I can get my spells back.
Probably Harper & Linard for the first watch.
Kalis & Valeria for the second - no spell rest required.
Nngara & Jayem for the last watch.


Slowly, the day ends and the night begins. You huddle around the campfire. From the other castaways, only Assuming the watch schedule assigned by Nngara. Those not on first watch go to bed early, so they can still be up early enough in the morning.

By 8 AM the morning sun will be well up, and you can then start any morning rituals.

Happenings in the night watches: Let me know if you wish to stop investigate further. Harper and Linard are up first.

Harper:
As daylight fades, the surf takes on an eery, greenish glow. But once, you see a humanoid shape beckoning to you, floating serenely above the water in the bay.

Linard:
As daylight fades, the surf takes on an eery, greenish glow. Sometimes some spots brighter than others. You've read that this phenomenon is caused by algae and plankton in the water in a few dusty old books.

---
Kalis:
As daylight fades, the surf takes on an eery, greenish glow. Sometimes some spots brighter than others.

Valeria:
As daylight fades, the surf takes on an eery, greenish glow. Sometimes some spots brighter than others.

---
Nngara:
As daylight fades, the surf takes on an eery, greenish glow. But once, you think see a vaguely humanoid shape, floating serenely above the water in the bay.

Jayem:
As daylight fades, the surf takes on an eery, greenish glow. Sometimes some spots brighter than others.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

Nngara watches the strange shape before turning to Jayem and speaking in her preferred Polygot.
Do you see that? Pointing at the shape. I do not know what it is.


Init +3, Perception +5, AC 18/13/15, CMD 15, HP 8, Fort 0/Ref 5/ Will 1

Harper gets Linard's attention. Do you see the shape of a man?


Waiting on Linard to reply to Harper


Albino Jungle Dwarf Alchemist 1) (Perc +4; Init +2; HP 11/11; AC15,T12,FF13; CMD 15; F+4,R+4,W+0 (+2 vs spells&poison)

@Nngara The sea is glowing green. I have never heard of such a thing. The rivers in my home did not do this.

He squints into the night, trying to see what shape she sees.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22


I'll try to post faster...
"A man? No, I've seen spots of green glow in the sea, but they were amorphous... According to some researchers of nature, the glow is caused by seaweed and crayfish so tiny you need a magical looking glass to spot them. But they spread fast, and form a sort of clouds, which glow in the dark. Maybe one of them was resembling a man in its shape."


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

"Or it could be something else...."


If no one has any further activities for the night, I'd like to get a plan of what you all want to do this day. Jask will assist in collecting the food/water that he can.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

My vote is to search the top left quadrant from our current camp. We can leave Jask and the others here. Perhaps Linard can conjure enough water and purify some food so that they are safe for a day if we do not make it back tonight.

Then we head out. This being the jungle, I assume there is sufficient food and with Linard's Purify Food & Drink, he should be able to make everything edible, perhaps not tasty, but at least not poisonous.

__________

Thus, we head to the west along the inside, the south coast, of the top of the scythe shape. If/when we reach the end, we can return back along the north coast.


Albino Jungle Dwarf Alchemist 1) (Perc +4; Init +2; HP 11/11; AC15,T12,FF13; CMD 15; F+4,R+4,W+0 (+2 vs spells&poison)

Jayem will prepare his Cure and Enlarge extracts and concoct another dose of Mutagen. He will accompany the group in whichever direction they deem most prudent. He is OK living under the stars, but will keep his eyes open for a more defensible living area.


Init +3, Perception +5, AC 18/13/15, CMD 15, HP 8, Fort 0/Ref 5/ Will 1

I agree with Nngara that we should head this direction. Harper points to the top left quadrant of the map.

I agree with you Nngara. I am fine with you taking the lead in party decisions.


Male Elf Barbarian 1 (Invulnerable Rager)

Kalis examines the map and then looks around at the visible landmarks, trying to gauge distances. "It is foolish to waste that man's magic on water. I am sure we will need it for other purposes."
Trying to gauge how many of those hexes we can explore in a day in the jungle.
SURVIVAL:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 (1 ranks, +3 Class Skill, +1 Wis, +2 Racial, +1 Trait) if necessary.


"Don't worry, creating water and purifying food should not deplete my magical powers. However the other purposes are also important, so I'd rather not stay behind as the camp cook." Linard adjusts his crossbow as he says this.
unlimited orisons FTW! Also, I'm fine with the directions given by Nngara.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

It seems that everyone, except Valeria who has not posted, agrees to head west along the inner coast. If/when we make the end, we will return along the outer coast before returning to camp.


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

Going through a program crap storm at work

"Then Let's be off, but cautious of our surroundings."


Traveling through the dense jungle will give you 1 mile every two hours, (about 5 feet a round), due to rough terrain and circumnavigating obstacles. It is possible to walk on the coast quickly (though forced to it's path), provided that it isn't a sheer rocky cliff. (Edit: Which is most of the island)

Do you go due south?


Each white/black mark on the scale is 2000 feet. Call it 6 hexes for a mile, or 3 hexes an hour overland.

Edit: I calculate (not accounting for sever accumulation of rounding error) 870 feet from center to center for a hex.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

No, the plan is west first. I thought we were about midway along the northern section of the large cove, but on the southern side, in the cove. If this is wrong, then please let me know. The plan is to head to the west and explore that part to the end - a likely spot for the lighthouse. If it is not there, then we will turn around and follow the north coast, the outside of the island, back toward the camp.

Essentially make sure that there are no dangers behind us as we make our way south on the island.

How big is the island? 1 mile per hex? 8/hex?


Nngara Erebrian wrote:
No, the plan is west first. I thought we were about midway along the northern section of the large cove, but on the southern side, in the cove. If this is wrong, then please let me know. The plan is to head to the west and explore that part to the end - a likely spot for the lighthouse. If it is not there, then we will turn around and follow the north coast, the outside of the island, back toward the camp.

You're at point A on the map. You're in a smallish, 1000 foot deep cove. There is also an large interior bay about 5 hexes south of you.

Nngara Erebrian wrote:

Thus, we head to the west along the inside, the south coast, of the top of the scythe shape. If/when we reach the end, we can return back along the north coast.

That would make sense if you switched north/south coast.

Edit: Or perhaps inside/outside, or a number of other perspectives.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

Ah - I see the A and B now. In that case we will proceed west along the north, outer, coast to the point and then return along the south, inner coast.

Looks like about 3-4 miles total round trip.

I will cast Endure Elements on myself before starting as I do not have the highest constitution for a prolonged march.


Just noticed that Google Drive puts a div over the image area which prevents you from clicking directly on the image, so you can't view it in full screen.

I also put what I think is a 1 mile grid overlay on top of the whole thing to help with scale, but 3 hexes as a 1/2 mile and 1 hour travel overland seems practical.


Male Elf Barbarian 1 (Invulnerable Rager)

Kalis grunts at the plan to leave the camp behind. "It will take most of a day to get to that tip of the island. Sleeping in the jungle without making it ready is not a good idea. We should move camp away from this godless water. Camp near a fast, rushing stream where the god is young and happy. That kind of god lets you take water without making you sick. Make camp there and then explore out from it like the legs of a spider." He splays out his fingers in demonstration. "Come back to camp each night to sleep." He nods to himself.

So the north western tip of the island is about 24 hexes away. At 3 hexes an hour it will take 8 hours to get there, so we can't get there and back in a single day's travel, even IF we don't run into any encounters. It seems to me that our choices are:
1. Take everyone with us and camp where we can find it every night (which I understand it takes 2 hours to make camp and the NPC's can't hunt and forage etc during the day)
2. Find a more central spot to make a camp for several days. Explore around it and return every night, then move the camp once everything around it is explored.
3. Explore out from the current camp, but stay out for several days time, sleeping in more makeshift camps. Expecting the NPC's to hunt and gather supplies until our return to resupply.

To me #2 seems like the best, most efficient and secure option.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

#2 was my plan, I thought that we could get to the end of the island without having to move camp. Then we explore to the east/southeast. After that, we move camp to the southeast and proceed to explore both coasts from there.

Because of the size of the island, it is going to require quite a bit of moving the camp.


Albino Jungle Dwarf Alchemist 1) (Perc +4; Init +2; HP 11/11; AC15,T12,FF13; CMD 15; F+4,R+4,W+0 (+2 vs spells&poison)

I also agree with #2.

Jayem will assist Kalis in helping keep people cool as we explore in the sweltering heat. With the heat forcing Fort saves every hour, gaining a +2 for people seems like a good idea. Also we may have to explore unarmored, as armor gives -4 on saves vs heat. Linard being able to drench people with water on command should also help fight the heat.

Heat wrote:

Heat deals nonlethal damage that cannot be recovered from until the character gets cooled off (reaches shade, survives until nightfall, gets doused in water, is targeted by endure elements, and so forth). Once a character has taken an amount of nonlethal damage equal to her total hit points, any further damage from a hot environment is lethal damage.

A character in very hot conditions (above 90° F) must make a Fortitude saving throw each hour (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. Characters wearing heavy clothing or armor of any sort take a –4 penalty on their saves. A character with the Survival skill may receive a bonus on this saving throw and might be able to apply this bonus to other characters as well (see the skill description). Characters reduced to unconsciousness begin taking lethal damage (1d4 points per hour).

In severe heat (above 110° F), a character must make a Fortitude save once every 10 minutes (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. Characters wearing heavy clothing or armor of any sort take a –4 penalty on their saves. A character with the Survival skill may receive a bonus on this saving throw and might be able to apply this bonus to other characters as well (see the Survival skill in Using Skills). Characters reduced to unconsciousness begin taking lethal damage (1d4 points per each 10-minute period).

A character who takes any nonlethal damage from heat exposure now suffers from heatstroke and is fatigued. These penalties end when the character recovers from the nonlethal damage she took from the heat.

Extreme heat (air temperature over 140° F, fire, boiling water, lava) deals lethal damage. Breathing air in these temperatures deals 1d6 points of fire damage per minute (no save). In addition, a character must make a Fortitude save every 5 minutes (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. Those wearing heavy clothing or any sort of armor take a –4 penalty on their saves.

Boiling water deals 1d6 points of scalding damage, unless the character is fully immersed, in which case it deals 10d6 points of damage per round of exposure.[/ooc]

Survival wrote:
DC 15. Gain a +2 bonus on all Fortitude saves against severe weather while moving up to half your overland speed, or gain a +4 bonus if you remain stationary. You may grant the same bonus to one other character for every 1 point by which your Survival check result exceeds 15.


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

#2 sounds good.

And I don't think I'll be just wearing a clothes, I'll keep my armour on if Linard is drenching people with water.


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

Linard can also memorize Endure Elements which will allow him to travel in heavy armor as well. Just depends on how many spells we want to use up on environmental protection.


HP: 35/35, AC: 18:12:16, CMD: 20 Saves: 5:3:2 +2Enchant Skills: Dip: +7, Per +11, Sense +9, Stealth, +7,

Let's keep the OOC to the Discussion thread.


where do you want your central camp?


Female Mwangi Elf Wizard(Enhancement)/1 - HP 10/11; AC13,T13,FF10; F+1,R+3,W+2/+4

If it is a good 8 hours to the end of the peninsula, then I say we move the camp about a mile to the west initially. From there we should be able to explore everything from the ship to end of the island. We then move it about 2 miles to the east/southeast of the ship (one day of moving plus setting up camp) and scout out from there.

Once we have finished scouting from Camp 2, we continue down the island moving the camp 3-4 miles each time.


The other castaways start packing up. Aeryes seems to have a headache, saying, "Don't talk so loud, please.". This becomes problematic later, when someone bumps into Ishirou and startles him, and he yells in surprise.

Of all the other Castaways, Jask is the only one who is openly friendly. He seems more confident than yesterday, and is quick to help where needed.
The others are helping, just not as readily, and rarely volunteer help.

As the gear is divided, Jask says, "It is becoming apparent the chests," he motions widely, "will hav' to be left behind. The bulk of the gear here would only slow us down. Indeed, it would be worse than useless." He nods, as if confirming himself. "We can stack them under our shelter here, and retrieve anything we need on our way back."

Edit: I assume the plan is go 2 hours (1 mile | 6 hexes) west, then make a camp? Care to specify anything you want to do while traveling overland?

Perception check, please.

201 to 250 of 523 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Nix's Serpent Skull Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.