Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Night of the Werewolf (Inactive)

Game Master Kinetic_cards


2,151 to 2,200 of 3,847 << first < prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | next > last >>

HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I instinctively places himself between Phoebe and the Librarian.

The girl keeps herself in-check... as long as she's not threatened. A library is safe enough.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Haven't leveled, going Rogue, adding Diplomacy. Woohoo, instant ROI.


NPC

Phoebe takes a cue from Ianez and Sandru, and powers down.


NPC

The librarian hears Ianez out, but sniffs at his request. He taps his temple. "We are thieves. The catalog be in here."

However, he relents and is open to Sandru's entreaty.

He strides over to the bookshelves and retrieves a leather-bound journal. It is written in by an unnamed alchemist who recorded several entries describing pilgrimage to an ancient, abandoned temple of Pharasma, and an observatory known as the 'Tower out of Time'. The journal includes a description of the tower. But the details of its exact location are frustratingly vague.

These pages are bookmarked with a folded piece of paper, scribbled with a faded note reading (see "Running Out of Time" on page 452. Filed under 'Arcane' downstairs.) The note was written by the librarian some time ago, and refers to a book called Running Out of Time: Discourses on Temporal Dynamics, which is kept in the bookstacks.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I am pleased I have contributed more than violence as I stalk across The Desert.

Thank you... Do you have a name? I am Sandru.


Male Human Wizard 9 (Teleport) Perception +8

@Sandru:


The Earl would like to have an aside with Sandru (and Phoebe, I suppose)
Would you be okay to do it in spoiler tags set at "some near future point"?
If so, I have started below...

"Sandru, might I have an aside?"

"I need to repair the damage my Manservant has taken. I don't know if you remember the initial damage he took to his cognomatrix? It damaged certain precautions I had had installed."

"I have noticed - and I'm sure you have too - that its intelligence has markedly and rapidly increased recently. This has allowed it to activate certain latent skills."

"This workshop has the tools to repair the damage to the cognomatrix, something I believe must be done soon or risk him becoming permanently - and explosively - inoperative."

"I find myself faced with a dilemma, however. My initial precautions would be useless now - far stronger measures would be required. I find myself wrestling with a moral puzzle. Given my feelings about the Doctor - well I have come to you."

"On one hand, I can simply repair the damage properly, in which case there is little doubt his intellect and sentience will continue to advance."

"On the other hand I could use the opportunity to install some much stronger precautions. His intellect would grow a little more, then stop, and over time he would have periods of much less intellect and sentience - periods that increase in duration and frequency. I believe this means there would be no risk of him developing independence"


Female Aasimar Urban Druid 9

La Siréene looks around the premises, and then turns to the librarian, casting Persistent Charm Person as she speaks.

"Thanks, for your hospitality. I intend to make use of the crafting equipment, and rest. Do you have masterwork tools fit for crafting magical items?"

Persistent Charm Person DC 18, Save twice or take full effect.

Diplomacy check to increase friendliness, from friendly to helpful if Charm Person is successful: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Then, she turns to the others.

"Alright, here you go - have a goodberry each. One of these should be enough to satisfy your hunger." La Siréene hands out a goodberry each to Sandru, Phoebe, Caromarc, Ianez, Blackacre, Quinn, and herself, winking at Quinn and Sandru as she hands them their berries.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

@Caromarc:
I think a while... Ask him. If he wants intelligence and freedom, give it to him. If he does not... give it to him. You gave something life, give it freedom... and if you can, beauty. Unless you wanted to create slaves.

Would you like one? I offer my berry to the Librarian.

Diplomacy, assist if needed: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15


Male Half-Elf Zen Archer Monk 8 / Mage 1
Info:
HP:49/80, AC:26, Saves F+11, R+11, W:+18, Speed:50, Perc:+20

The stoic monk lets the others deal with the librarian. He would rather let his senses expand and take in all that which is hidden from plain view.

Quinn starts to ramdonly look at books, hoping to see anything that might spark an interest, or something that he does not understand.

Perception: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (9) + 17 = 26


Human Inquisitor 9 | HP 51/64 (fast heal 5) | add'l +3 att +8 dmg | AC 24 [16t 21f] | Saves F+10 R+9 W+13 -- Left: 4/6xLv1, 5/5xLv2, 2/3xLvl3, 5/9r bane, 1/3 Judgments (0/1 surge), 9/9r detect lies -- Init +5 Perc +14 Sensemotive +15

Blackacre wanders the room briefly, looking over the books.

perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14

He wanders back toward the librarian during the discussion of the catalog.

We appreciate your assistance, my good man. I am having trouble placing your accent - the Shackles, perhaps?

diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. The first is about the dwarf who preceeded us - what was he looking for and where did he go?


NPC

@Quinn:
There is another secret door at the end of the room...a sliding panel in the middle of the wall.

@Blackacre:
Blackacre finds a tale about a girl and some dwarves in the woods. A wicked queen tricks the girl into biting a poisoned apple, and she can only be woken by true love's kiss. He finds nothing more.

The librarian takes the goodberry, pops it in his mouth, and chews slowly, savoring the taste.

He turns to Blackacre, "Ya. I am from de Shackles, from a place called Shark Island, northwest of Besmara's Throne and east of Raptor Island. De place is ruled by the pirate lord, Avimar Sorrinash. We oft have troubles from raiding Sahuagin."

The goodberry is delicious, and the man welcomes the chance to talk about his homeland a little bit. He continues on, answering Blackacre's question. "I don't know what de dwarf was looking for exactly. But he seemed interested in dat book you have der, same as you." The librarian pauses and thinks for a moment. "Maybe he searching for same thing as you, but just one step ahead?"

"As for where he went, he was insistent. Very rude. A pain in de backside. I didn't want to deal wit him anymore. So, I think as dat book mentions, I let him into de bookstacks."


Male Half-Elf Zen Archer Monk 8 / Mage 1
Info:
HP:49/80, AC:26, Saves F+11, R+11, W:+18, Speed:50, Perc:+20

Quinn moves over to Sandru and clears his throat. "Ahem." Followed by that he removes his water skin and takes a sip."Throat's a little dry."

The monk tilts his a little, indicating to the half orc to come and follow him. He walks back to the books and pulls one out, reads the title, then places it back in the book shelf. He does this a couple of times to various books on the shelf, not to rile up suspicion, and makes his way to the other end of the room. Once there he whispers to Sandru, "Secret sliding panel here. I'll cover for you."

Quinn is going to cast Detect Magic, using it in the general area including the panel.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

Can we time travel?


NPC

The librarian shakes himself out of his reverie about The Shackles and his run-in with the dwarf.

"Sorry, lady. You asked me a question, I meant to answer you. Yes, de work station over there has masterwork tools." He points to the alcove with the bench and the tools.


NPC

At Sandru's question, Phoebe shakes her head. "Not without Agnes. Or until we find the information we're looking for. She said we'd be able to find a way to time-travel on our own...to the doctor hiding in the future, in his pocket dimension. But first we need to find the instructions to learn how that is done."


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I meant here, now... five minutes into the past. Gain on that Dwarf. My stride is twice his, maybe... Who else is fast? I move to the panel indicated by Quinn.

Come, Phoebe.


DM

The panel is stuck.

Make a Disable Device check.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

Perception, traps: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (4) + 24 = 28
Disable Device: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22


DM

@Quinn:
sorry, forgot to say - You don't detect any magical auras in the area.

@Sandru:
By knocking on the wall, you're able to assess that the secret panel is fixed by a complicated lock mechanism. It consists of large bolts that jut out of the surrounding wall (the door jamb) and form a lattice between the layers of the door, on the inside layer. With some effort, you are able to get several of the bolts to slide back and forth. However, just when you think you've unlocked one, it slides back, snags, and catches another one, causing the whole mechanism to slide back into place and reset.


Female Aasimar Urban Druid 9

La Siréene moves over to the workbench, inspecting the tools with care. "I'd like improve upon some of my earlier creations. If anyone requires a magic item, I'd be happy to craft it, so long as you provide the materials."

La Siréene looks around at her allies, smiling.

"I'll have some left over once I'm done. I'd be happy to spend them towards crafting something nice for one of you."

I'll have 2500 left over once I'm done with my headband. I could craft someone a Cloak of Resistance +2 or otherwise a +2 Headband/Belt, or put them towards something especially expensive if someone'd like.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

Phoebe, please step behind Uncle Quinn. I try again.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21


DM

@Sandru:
The bolts slide, but then snag, catch, fall back into place, and reset. Although your attempt was unsuccessful, your expertise allows you to work swiftly and quietly, so that the librarian doesn't notice what you're doing.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I try again.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25


DM

@Sandru:
Your perseverance pays off! You hear the bolts slide again, followed by a cascade of clicking sounds all the way down the door. The crossbars unlatch and withdraw into the wall. The panel can now be opened.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

Phoebe:
I slip Phoebe a pouch with 1000gp worth of gems and coin. Please tell Ianez to join Uncle Quinn and I. Then go give this to the librarian man and tell him your uncle thinks Auntie needs help with those fancy tools. Smile and wink... Your best show. Can you do that for me and come right back?


Per +11

The manservant - now much more normal looking - notices Sandru playing with something and drifts over, still cleaning.

Sandru, Phoebe:

"Can I help, Sandru? I don't have your way with mechanics, but Master Caromarc has outfitted me with tools"
aid other, disable device: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


NPC

Phoebe leaves Sandru's side, and approaches Ianez. She leans in close to him. "Sandru wants you to join him," she whispers conspiratorially.

She breaks from him and walks towards the librarian, glaring. No-good, dirty, lying thief, she grumbles under her breath. The oracle shoots a pleading look up to the ceiling, and sighs. For Agnes...

"You've been helpful to us thus far. Such nice hospitality." Though Phoebe tries to play coy, she delivers her lines with angry intensity that undercuts her attempt to play cute. "See my Auntie over there?" she says, pointing to La Siréene busily crafting at the work station. "She's a great crafter, but she hasn't worked with..." She takes a pair of tongs from the table and waves them around, crinkling her nose in disgust. "Oh my god! What is this for? To rip out tongues?"

She refocuses. "See if she needs any help."

"Here, thief," she adds curtly, and tosses Sandru's pouch filled with gems and coin at him. "This will make it worth your while."


NPC

The librarian is surprised at Phoebe's direct speech. However, years of living in the Shackles and working for thieves has taught him the virtues of patience and not overreacting. "Big words for such a small girl," he says. "I'm not sure I like you, but I like your friends. So I'll do as you say." He takes the pouch, looks inside, closes it again, then turns to La Siréene. He watches silently over her shoulder for several minutes.

Finally, he clears his throat. "Lady, how's it going?" he asks. "You need anything?"


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

Ianez nods to the librarian and makes his way over to Sandru. "You called?"


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I verily glare at the Manservant. Then, I activate a power of my shadow armor... as I stare at La Siréene's back, before replying to him.

I whisper. Go get... modified. Quinn, Phoebe, Ianez will follow the dwarf once the Librarian is, helping La Siréene. Please tell Caromarc... discretely. Blackacre should stay with you.

Ianez hears my exchange with the construct.

Keeping an eye on Phoebe's progress, I can't help but be proud.

Message to La Siréene.


Female Aasimar Urban Druid 9

La Siréene smiles, first at Sandru's plan, then at the librarian.

"Why, yes, thank you. Weaving the spells, now, that I have no problem with, but these tools are not familiar to me. Might you assist me in handling them as I work?"

La Siréene brandishes her headband, sets it steady an apparatus apparently more fit to lock limbs in place, then waves at the librarian absentmindly to hand her a precision engraving tool. "Hand me a… lets say a 5 by 13.“

La Siréene sets to work.

"First, we'll improve this headband. Then, we'll set to work on some little trinkets for the rest of my group, as needed."

Spellcraft Check to craft Headband of Inspired Wisdom +6, DC 23 for faster crafting.: 1d20 + 15 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 15 - 1 = 33

Item creation cost; 10000 gp in materials have now been deducted from La Siréene's character sheet.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

As soon as Phoebe returns, Sandru takes her hand and slips through the panel-opening.

Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24, 30 hidden/secret, 32 traps.


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

Network, remember that Ianez also gets an automatic roll to spot traps if they're within 10', and he's got +18 Perception.


DM

So, assuming the stated individuals enter the secret panel...

@Sandru, Quinn, Ianez:
This is the map.

You step through the panel, and descend down a dark, cramped stairwell. The ceiling is low overhead. The steps are narrow. It takes careful effort not to lose your balance and tumble down them. At the bottom of the stairs is a gap in the wall. It opens up into a large, underground vault.

This appears to be the library's collection...the real collection...what the journal and the librarian referred to as 'The Bookstacks'. There are large bookshelves on either side of the room, arranged in rows, with an aisle running down the center. Books are organized and filed under different subject headings, encompassing the entire scope of knowledge in Golarion, or at least in Ustalav. This sea of tomes is vast in number. You see walls of paper, as far as the eye can see.

The room is dimly lit. There's a thick layer of grime and cobwebs covering all of the books. There is no one else in the room. There are no traps nearby. Sandru, Quinn, Ianez, and Phoebe enter the bookstacks near the rows labeled 'R1' and 'R7'.

__________________

PCs can make Perception checks to locate the book, Running Out of Time: Discourse on Temporal Dynamic (as mentioned in the journal found in the library upstairs).

PCs can make Knowledge checks to use the bookstacks collection. If they have ranks in the relevant skill, they research a particular subject with a +4 bonus on Knowledge checks.

If you enlist the aid of the librarian, you receive an additional +2 to Perception or Knowledge checks.


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

Ianez draws a dagger and intones a quick cantrip before beginning his search. In response, the dagger's blade begins to glow. Casting light.

Perception check to locate book: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38

Oh, yeah.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

Would Sandru get Scavenger +2 and/or Canny Observer +4. I think they fit the situation, but you're the boss.


Human Inquisitor 9 | HP 51/64 (fast heal 5) | add'l +3 att +8 dmg | AC 24 [16t 21f] | Saves F+10 R+9 W+13 -- Left: 4/6xLv1, 5/5xLv2, 2/3xLvl3, 5/9r bane, 1/3 Judgments (0/1 surge), 9/9r detect lies -- Init +5 Perc +14 Sensemotive +15

Blackacre nods at Sandru and proceeds to aid Ianez in his search.

aid another (perc): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24


Male Half-Elf Zen Archer Monk 8 / Mage 1
Info:
HP:49/80, AC:26, Saves F+11, R+11, W:+18, Speed:50, Perc:+20

Quinn helps in the search but also casts Detect Magic to pinpoint anthing arcane.

Perception: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 31

Casting Detect Magic up and down the rows.


Male Half-Elf Zen Archer Monk 8 / Mage 1
Info:
HP:49/80, AC:26, Saves F+11, R+11, W:+18, Speed:50, Perc:+20

On the map, where is the light source coming from?


DM

It immediately becomes apparent that the bookstacks are so vast, and so dusty, that the only way to search them is one row at a time.

To search for the book, PCs must make a Perception check and state a specific subject that they want to apply their roll to (one roll counts for the entire subject, both sides of the bookshelf). Ianez and Quinn can apply the rolls they've already made to the first row that they choose to search.

To conduct research generally, PCs can simply make a Knowledge check for the relevant subject.

@Quinn - Ianez cast light.

@Sandru:
You may apply those bonuses to your Perception checks in here.

@Blackacre:
You're still in the library upstairs. If you wish, you may slip through the secret panel too and accompany the others, in which case you'd be present to help Ianez. Is that what you'd like to do?

@La Siréene, Caromarc:
If you wish, you may slip through the secret panel too and accompany the others. However, unlike them you still have the librarian with you to consider. His attention is focused on the crafting, which means he's distracted mainly by La Siréene, but Caromarc too if he is modifying the Manservant.


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

Ianez will start near the back of the room, searching the Planes stacks. If it becomes important, he has at least a +10 bonus in every Knowledge skill.

As the extent and scope of the Anaphexian holdings becomes apparent to him, the archaeologist gazes upon the assembled lore with an almost palpable hunger. "By all the gods, living and dead and in between...I have dreamed of a place like this, but I never thought it existed. Never."


Male Half-Elf Zen Archer Monk 8 / Mage 1
Info:
HP:49/80, AC:26, Saves F+11, R+11, W:+18, Speed:50, Perc:+20

Oops. Glanced over Ianez's light spell.

Quinn does a slight gasp at the sight of this place then begins to start casting. He casts a Light spell on the tip of his bow and as he moves towards the right casts Detect Magic.

Quinn is heading to the right, R7, going all the way to the end. Walking down the B column as indicated on the map. Previous roll will be used for R7.


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

Luckily for Ianez, he has a Ring of Sustenance, or he could die of dehydration and starvation in a place like this.


DM

@Ianez:
(Using take 20). You find a rumored tale about a young man from Qadira who discovered a magic lamp. When he rubbed the lamp, it summoned a djinni that granted him three wishes. It's said that this man eventually rose to much power and prominence in his homeland as a result.

An intriguing tale, but not very useful for your purposes. This row is filled with interesting things. However, you do not find the book about time travel.

Try again!


DM

Quinn searches one of the rows, and discovers that it's filled with archival materials that are packed for storage and inaccessible. They are impossible to browse. This isn't what he's looking for.

Rows R7, R8, and R10 are all similarly archived, and will yield no useful information. Quinn may apply his roll to one of the subject rows.


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

Ianez emerges from the depths of the Planes stacks, rubbing his eyes. "It was not to be found there. I think I had better play to my strength, then." He makes his way up near the entrance and begins to look over the History shelves. (If it becomes important, Ianez has +17 with Knowledge (History).)

Perception check: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (13) + 18 = 31


Male Half-Elf Zen Archer Monk 8 / Mage 1
Info:
HP:49/80, AC:26, Saves F+11, R+11, W:+18, Speed:50, Perc:+20

You can apply my roll to R1.


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

If Quinn did R1 while Ianez was back looking at Planes, Ianez will go on to Geography (R2) instead.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

Where do I start?


DM

@Quinn:
You conduct a thorough search, but the book about time travel isn't shelved under 'History'.

You may make a Knowledge check to research this part of the collection, or you may keep looking.

2,151 to 2,200 of 3,847 << first < prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Night of the Werewolf All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.