Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Night of the Werewolf (Inactive)

Game Master Kinetic_cards


1,701 to 1,750 of 3,847 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>

HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I stare at the card as the girl speaks. Why is it always the desert?


NPC

"What do you mean?" Agnes asks.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I look into the oracle's eyes, Agnes' eyes and know that she... doesn't.

I was a child the first time. My mother or... the lady who cared for me, fed me, cleaned me. She had a deck like this one. Maybe she was a gypsy, I don't know. She was reading... is that the word?

For me, she turned over that card... The Desert. It made her cry. I was too young to understand.

That was the first time.


NPC

"Sandru, I have no words to sustain you," Agnes says.

"You are a child born of pain. This I cannot answer. But..." The oracle gathers her emotions.

"Take care of my sister. It's all I ask. She will be in danger. This I know. Please..."


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I will protect her or die trying. It's all I can say, I should have been there the night of the creatures. But, I wasn't...


NPC

"That Febby is a hothead!" Hergelund chuckles. "Sandru may come to regret that decision." This is all said with a good humor.


NPC

"Shutup, dwarf!" Phoebe snaps.

Indeed, the girl is surly.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

No regrets... now or ever. It will take time, but she will trust me. I will earn it.


Human Inquisitor 9 | HP 51/64 (fast heal 5) | add'l +3 att +8 dmg | AC 24 [16t 21f] | Saves F+10 R+9 W+13 -- Left: 4/6xLv1, 5/5xLv2, 2/3xLvl3, 5/9r bane, 1/3 Judgments (0/1 surge), 9/9r detect lies -- Init +5 Perc +14 Sensemotive +15

Working with Volst? Pah! I will be shocked when that man does anything but corrupt the good and exploit the weak. We are more likely to see an ox fly.


NPC

Agnes smiles at Sandru and Blackacre's reactions.

"Now, that we've received insight into the particular role each of you play, I will do a harrow reading about your overall journey." Agnes puts the Constitution suit back into the deck and shuffles all the cards. She lays out 9 new cards in a 3x3 spread.

"The top row going across represents things that are positive, or that will go well for you. The middle row is neutral, and the bottom row indicates things that are negative or adversarial for you. The left row going down represents things in the past, the middle row is the present, and the last row on the right represents the future."

"First, the positive past." She flips the first card at the top left and reveals The Mute Hag.

"This card is called 'The Mute Hag'. She may be silent, but the eye she holds let her see into the hearts of men. This hag invokes blood pacts and poisonous secrets, the kind that turn brother against brother and son against father. However, in your harrow spread it is misaligned, being a neutral evil card in the upper row. That means it indicates something positive for you, unshakeable loyalty and lucidity of speech. Unshakeable loyalty...I see you have developed that among yourselves. You were even kind to Dr. Grey when he needed it, because of your true hearts."


NPC

"Next, the positive present." She flips the card at the top center and reveals The Wanderer.

"Oh, look!" Agnes says. "A perfect match! This card is neutral good, and in that position in the spread as well. That means it's powerful and of special import."

"This card is called 'The Wanderer'. He is a collector. This centaur appreciates that which others regard as junk or trash. The Wanderer appears to those clever enough to find the true worth in something others ignore or treat as worthless. I will leave you to reflect on what that might be."


NPC

"And lastly, the positive future." She flips the card at the top right and reveals The Beating.

"This card is called 'The Beating'. The picture on the card is literally going to happen to you. It means you will come under attack from all sides, but it can also indicate the dissolution of the self, mentally. Whether the strength is of the flesh or the mind, it dissolves under the relentless attack. However, there is good news. This is an evil card in a good position, so it is misaligned. Therefore, it suggests that during the assault, you will find a source of undiscovered strength."


Female Aasimar Urban Druid 9

La Siréene quietly watches the card, the others, Sandru.

Then, she starts to laugh. A breathless, unsteady, quiet laugh.

Child born of pain…

Pain, that was the answer, wasn’t it. Sandru. Hareton. Enbringer. La Siréene.

I live in the identity of a dead woman.

Pain, which has somehow caused Sandru to become a soft, gentle, loyal protector, so that others would not need to feel pain. With an invulnerable hide and suspicious heart.

Born of pain. Brought up by pain.

Pain, which drove doctor Hareton to exlude all but one thing, one single thing, in his obsession to end the pain.

Lived by pain.

Pain, which gave birth to Enbringer, and formed him to desire the physical, the visceral, the base, in exclusion of all rationality.

Fascinated by pain.

Pain, which caused La Siréene to-

La Siréene remembers herself and regains composure, listening once more to the reading of the Harrowing.


NPC

Agnes goes on to interpret the middle row going across. It includes The Mountain Man, The Winged Serpent, and The Betrayal.

She explains that the Mountain Man represents the neutral past, signifying an encounter with a physical power outside of one's control. The giant can personify an authority, an army, an earthquake, or even a desperately needed rainstorm in a parched land. Acceding to the force might be wise, but surviving it is paramount. She suggests it could represent the zombie invasion at the hospital or maybe your encounter with Ludo, both encounters where you were ultimately successful but with losses as well (hence the neutrality of it).

The Winged Serpent in the center of the spread is the neutral present. It is a powerful being. Knowledge and prudence are separate domains bridged by understanding. The couatl represents this bridge, knowing whether now is the time to strike. This card means you will seize the moment and be wise, though the ultimate ramifications of this are still neutral.

Lastly, The Betrayal card represents the neutral future. It is selfishness incarnate. Envy twists the spirit and leads ultimately to devastation. It can also indicate a person whose loveliness hides an evil heart. This card also relates to the theme of self-sacrifice and turning away from the material world and its temptations. While a betrayal is in your future, the outcome for you will be for both good and ill.


NPC

"And now, I will read the negative cards. First, the negative past." Agnes flips over the card at the bottom left and reveals The Dance.

"This card is called 'The Dance'. It is a rich and delicate framework that, like the universe itself, requires everyone within it to abide by its rules, lest the entire construct collapse. It advises staying in perfect step, knowing your place in the greater good. Those who step out of the pattern do so at their own peril. It is partially aligned in this spread, a lawful card in the lawful column, but also a good card in the evil row. This means the pattern may be hypnotic, but not to the good of all."

"This relates to how when faced with dire circumstances you bravely accepted the role of heroes. But it also relates to Hareton's fall."


NPC

"Next, the negative present." Agnes flips over the card at the bottom center and reveals The Brass Dwarf.

"Oh dear," she sighs. "Look, Quinn. Your card has turned up in this spread. This means it is of great significance to you! But the card is in an evil position. You should be especially careful."


NPC

"And lastly, the negative future." Agnes flips the card at the bottom right and reveals The Cyclone.

"This card is called 'The Cyclone'. Unfortunately, it is a perfect match. This card is chaotic evil, and in the chaotic evil position in the spread. That means it's powerful and of special import."

"This represents a force that tears through whatever it meets. This disaster doesn't come in the course of natural order, but is one that comes from the plots of intelligent beings. The Cyclone signifies war, arson, and other plans that destroy everything they touch. It is reasonable to assume this is about Hareton's experiments with threnodic energy."

She looks at Caromarc's patchwork skin and gently brushes aside La Siréene's hair, taking in her modified features. "I fear Hareton will strike again. There will be more casualties before we can stop him."


Male Half-Elf Zen Archer Monk 8 / Mage 1
Info:
HP:49/80, AC:26, Saves F+11, R+11, W:+18, Speed:50, Perc:+20

Quinn looks over at Agnes. "Always am. Didnt get here by being reckless."


DM

Make a Perception check.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23 , 29 hidden/secret, 31 trap.


Female Aasimar Urban Druid 9

1d20 + 19 ⇒ (4) + 19 = 23

HAH! Finally a roll under average on my perception check!


DM

@Sandru, La Siréene:
Agnes finishes the harrow reading. Your keen ears detect only silence, maybe a slight ringing, like tinnitus, but otherwise only the stillness of the night. It lays thick, pressing in all around you in the room like cotton.


NPC

Hergelund coughs. "I'll let ye all finish up here. Better check the doors and windows of this place, make sure we're still secure."

It sounds like his usual paranoia talking. But he may have a point...better safe than sorry. The dwarf tromps over to the hallway, pauses a moment deciding which way to go, decides against the front door, and ascends the stairs up to Phoebe's bedroom.


Human Inquisitor 9 | HP 51/64 (fast heal 5) | add'l +3 att +8 dmg | AC 24 [16t 21f] | Saves F+10 R+9 W+13 -- Left: 4/6xLv1, 5/5xLv2, 2/3xLvl3, 5/9r bane, 1/3 Judgments (0/1 surge), 9/9r detect lies -- Init +5 Perc +14 Sensemotive +15

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21


DM

@Blackacre:
Agnes finishes the harrow reading. Your keen ears detect only silence, maybe a slight ringing, like tinnitus, but otherwise only the stillness of the night. It lays thick, pressing in all around you in the room like cotton.


Human Inquisitor 9 | HP 51/64 (fast heal 5) | add'l +3 att +8 dmg | AC 24 [16t 21f] | Saves F+10 R+9 W+13 -- Left: 4/6xLv1, 5/5xLv2, 2/3xLvl3, 5/9r bane, 1/3 Judgments (0/1 surge), 9/9r detect lies -- Init +5 Perc +14 Sensemotive +15

Blackacre, suspicious of Hergelund ever since his role in the stereoscope incident, watches him closely for any signs of (unusual) unease or suspicious behavior.

sense motive: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24

Once he leaves the room, Blackacre mutters to Quinn, How well do you know this dwarf? I wonder sometimes about the role he has to play here.


DM

@Blackacre:
You have a hunch that something is wrong with the dwarf's behavior.


NPC

Suddenly, the room goes dark. The candle in the center of the table hisses and the flame turns blue. Thin smoke wafts upward and swirls. It forms into the spectral shape of the dead nurse from the Hospital of Pharasma. She looks around the room with a tortured look upon her face, clearly perturbed.

"Heellppp mmeeeee..." she says in a ghostly echo.


Female Aasimar Urban Druid 9

As Agnes brushes aside her hair, La Siréene does not resist, but simply looks into Agnes's eyes with both of her own, a smile playing on her face, augmented crystal eye clicking quietly and shifting slightly as La Siréene observes Agnes observing her.

When Agnes appears satisfied, La Siréene speaks up.

"Thank you, for your advice. It was interesting."

La Siréene then turns toward Phoebe, her smile pleasant and welcoming.

"Welcome into our little circle of allies. I would personally trust Sandru with my life, incidentally."

When mad man grunts his misgivings to Quinn, La Siréene smiles inwardly. So reliable, our paranoid friend. His cynical sense of duty is truly invaluable.

As the familiar nurse appears, La Siréene remains quite calm and responds politely.

"Of Course. Always ready to help a friend in need."


NPC

"Look at me!" the nurse wails. Her form flickers in and out. "You mus {blip!} must {blip!} stop this madman!"

She screws her eyes to look at all of you. "Yes, you are who I was looking for. That crazy doctor from the hospital! WHYYYYYYYYY?!! WHYYYYYYYYY?!!" She is out of her mind with grief. "Do you know what he's done to me? Look at me! I'm not alive...but I'm not de {blip!} dead! {blip!} What am I? What is this abominable state?"

"He intercepted my soul! Now I'm in his laboratories, but everything looks strange. So different! All metal and gadgets and wires. I don't understand! He says I helped with the girl before, but she died. But this time we will save her. He will bring her back from the dead, like me. But he can't bring her back! Nothing he does has any effect."

"And he shouldn't bring her back! It is wrong!"

"Ooooohhhhh!" she moans. "Pharasma is out {blip!} outraged {blip!} with his meddling. She has withdrawn from the world! She will not return until he is stopped. And what's worse, in her place rises Urgathoa! The goddess of undeath gallops forth on a dark horse at the head of her armies, spreading disease and rot, plague and undeath! Her minions will march to the ends of the earth, until all we know is defiled and destroyed!"

"Ooooohhhhh! Help me! You must stop him!"

"WHYYYYYYYYYY?!!"

"I just want to rest..."

There's a screaming wail as the communication is cut off. The image of the nurse winks out. The candle flame returns from blue to yellow. The lights in the room come back up.


HP 56/88 Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Unbreakable 2/Rogue 6

I growl, shaking my head. What day is it? Does he have a weakness? Will you help us if we make it there?


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

Perception check: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19

The scholar sits mute for some time, digesting the ramifications of his selection and the Harrowing. Ah, cousins! Aunt Therez! I miss you all, but--forgive me--I would not do what Hareton did. Rest, my kin. Now it is time for me to see to your rest.

With the disappearance of the spectral figure, Ianez pulls himself back to the present. "It may be a trap, but we won't know that if we don't try. Agnes, thank you. Go with the gods."


DM

The nurse was unable to answer queries, such was the intense state of her distress.

@Ianez:
When Hergelund goes to secure doors and windows, you detect only silence, maybe a slight ringing, like tinnitus, but otherwise only the stillness of the night. It lays thick, pressing in all around you in the room like cotton.


NPC

Only moments before there was complete silence. But now you all hear smashing glass. From Phoebe's room come sounds of an intense scuffle...furniture breaking, things banging about.

"Help!" Hergelund cries out. "They got me! They got me! A bunch of werewolves!"


Male Half-Elf Zen Archer Monk 8 / Mage 1
Info:
HP:49/80, AC:26, Saves F+11, R+11, W:+18, Speed:50, Perc:+20

Perception: 1d10 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20


DM

@Quinn:
When Hergelund goes to secure doors and windows, your keen ears detect only silence, maybe a slight ringing, like tinnitus, but otherwise only the stillness of the night. It lays thick, pressing in all around you in the room like cotton.


NPC

The room where you all are goes pitch black. Behind the twins, the door to a large cabinet slams opens. The cabinet is filled inside with the same stormy light that was in the conduit that returned Caromarc and La Siréene to the land of the living. It flares bright blue. It blows a strong gale of wind into the room, scattering the harrow cards. A large, spectral, skeletal hand bursts forth from the cabinet, darts like a snake, and grabs up Agnes. Her wheeled chair is knocked over on its side. Her hair whips in the wind. She looks in the cabinet in wide-eyed terror.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" she screams.


Male Human Wizard 9 (Teleport) Perception +8

Caromarc has stood as if hypnotised throughout the entire reading and the appearance of the nurse. A single whispered phrase escapes his lips "Not again..." while his powerful mind churns over the possible meanings, looking for a way out - and seeing none.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


DM

@Caromarc:
When Hergelund goes to secure doors and windows, you detect only silence, maybe a slight ringing, like tinnitus, but otherwise only the stillness of the night. It lays thick, pressing in all around you in the room like cotton.


STATUE:?? BODY: 16/20 HP HP Per +11

Elspeth basks in contentedment as her ethereal form is petted by Agnes.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Network:

If Elspeth is being petted by Agnes, can she attack the hand? She's Incorporeal, and counts as undead. That said, if it is incorporeal I think she is limited to biting - by the rules incoporeals can't grapple.


Per +11

The Mechanical Man ponders the readings, remaining as motionless as his master.

Network:

MM picks a card as well, and given the chance will grab it himself. Was thinking he might use Mage Hand to do it.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18


DM

@Elspeth:
At the time of this perception check, Elspeth was able to tell that it was quiet in the room you are all in, but wasn't much aware of the rest of the house.

She can attack the hand as normal.

@MM:
Same Perception result as Caromarc (see above).

Do you mean MM picks a card with mage hand, or picks a card and then is also doing something to the hand holding Agnes? Did he select a card from the original 9 (in which case 5, 6, and 7 were left), or does he grab one at random when the whole deck is scattered?


***INACTIVE*** Human Archaeologist Bard/9; Init: +4*; Perc: +19; HP 27/63, F: +7/R: +10*/W: +7

Ianez leaps to his feet, fingers blurring through a newly-learned series of arcane gestures as ancient syllables of power tumble from his lips. Casting dispel magic and targeting the spectral hand.

Level check to dispel: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


DM

The spectral aspect of the hand dissipates, revealing that it was disguised by an illusion. Beneath it are brass pistons, cogwheels, and thick, sturdy cables.

It's a mechanical arm!


STATUE:?? BODY: 16/20 HP HP Per +11

Elspeth savages at the arm, wrapping around it like some multilimbed snake
attack 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12


Male Human Wizard 9 (Teleport) Perception +8

Network:

He was going to try to pick a card, but if they were all reused that would be harder... perhaps he could mark it with prestidigitation subtly, and find it later?

Are we in combat rounds? You're welcome to roll init for the Caromarc Crowd


DM

The arm takes 12 damage.

No, this isn't a full-fledged combat.

@Caromarc:
Whatever you select. I just didn't know if his choice was occurring now (random card in the deck) or if since Anges is being attacked by the arm we need to do a cutscene back to the card reading (Constitution suit).


NPC

You hear a male voice issue through the closet. It sounds canned and far away.

"Jornel, Jornel, Jornel...tisk, tisk...what did I tell you? Do not interfere with my work again. And yet, here we are again so soon. I have to say I'm disappointed."

"Call off Elspeth immediately, and all of you back away. Don't attack the device. If you don't do as I say, I will squeeze the girl right here and now until nothing is left of her but a fine, gluey paste."


NPC

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" Agnes screams.

1,701 to 1,750 of 3,847 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Night of the Werewolf All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.