Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Nevynxxx's SFS PbP

Game Master Nevynxxx

Starfinder Society Games run by me!


1 to 50 of 139 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

In 316 ag, the Starfinder Society elected the renowned kasatha explorer Jadnura as First Seeker. Elevated due to his reputation for maintaining balance between the various divisions of the Society, Jadnura also proposed a tantalizing personal objective: a coordinated expedition to a region of space known as the Scoured Stars.

What followed was one of the greatest single undertakings by the Starfinder Society. A task force of almost 80% of the Society’s assets and agents joined the First Seeker on his mission into the Scoured Stars. Everything went well at first, with reports returning of Jadnura and the bulk of the Starfinder teams landing on the surface of the world to which the Tear directed them. And then, nothing.

When the remaining Starfinders in the Lorespire Complex attempted to make contact, they discovered a terrifying reality: the Scoured Stars were now cut off from the rest of the galaxy. A vast shield of aurum energy surrounded the region of space, preventing communication and travel into the systems. Drift travel was rendered ineffective, and even visual scans failed to pierce the shifting veil, which was soon after dubbed “The Godshield” for its incomprehensible power. This single event left the Starfinder Society crippled, as most agents and assets are now trapped within the now-untouchable region of the Scoured Stars.

With the bulk of the Starfinder Society lost in the aftermath of the Scoured Stars incident, the Society is on the brink of ruin. Only the actions of a particularly outspoken Starfinder, Luwazi Elsebo, has held the Starfinder Society together in the ensuing months. A dedicated assembly of surviving senior Starfinders has assisted Elsebo in stabilizing the Society, as well as in rebuilding the Forum. Many of these agents specialized in managing specific aspects of Society operations, each becoming de-facto leaders for Society factions both old and new.

Through such imperfect arrangements, Luwazi and her allies successfully held the Starfinder Society together long enough for a new cadre of Starfinders to complete their training. Now, with the Scoured Stars incident still fresh in the memories of the Society’s survivors, the quest to rebuild and discover the truth of what happened in the Scoured Stars begins!

You are one of the new cadre of recruits, ready at last to take up your mantel, and embark on adventure.


Your training recently complete, you recieve a message to meet Venture-Captain Arvin in his office at the Lorespire Complex.

The tall and confident lashunta man gestures to several functional chairs, inviting you to sit. "Thank you for arriving so quickly. As I mentioned in my comm message, we have an urgent opportunity to recover some critical information.

"Several months ago, a crew of Starfinders took a ship called the Unbounded Wayfarer into the Vast to explore a series of uncharted planets. They never returned. Earlier today, a vesk pawnbroker in the Downlow neighborhood contacted us, offering to sell us several Starfinder insignias. These insignias belonged to the lost crew of the Unbounded Wayfarer, and that immediately caught the Society’s attention. The pawnbroker—named Julzakama—doesn’t realize the true value of the insignias. We negotiated a purchase price in exchange for the insignias and information about the seller. We hope this seller can lead us to the Unbounded Wayfarer and its crew.

"We've remotely transferred the requested credits to Julzakama. Now, we need you to collect the insignias and all the information you can from the vesk regarding whoever sold him the insignias, and then track down that seller. Learn where to find the Unbounded Wayfarer and its crew. I’m worried that the seller might not be on the station for long, so act quickly. If you have any questions, please make them fast."

DC 12 Culture Check:
You've heard of this Julzakama. He is a domineering brute, and only the truely desperate deal with him. Further, he responds better to bluster, than to honeyed words.


Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

Culture: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

"Where can we find Julzakama?" softly asks the android who stands at the edge of the room.

She is rigidly rigidly straight, as if trying to stretch her height to five and a half feet. Her straight black hair contrasts with her pale complexion, white eyes, and the pale blue tracery of circuits just under her skin. Mildly feminine features are offset by a broad mannish jaw and a compact body composed of wide shoulders, flat chest and narrow hips.


"He runs a pawnshop called Julzakama’s Loans, it's located in the Downlow section of the station." Arvin hands Tofana a small storage device. "This contains the directions to the exact location."

Wayfinders

Male Shirren

A shirren stands near the wall, an almost imperceptible buzzing sound betraying excitement or nervousness or both.

AKA, "dot"


Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

"Does it also contain an image of the vesk?"


"It does." Errmmm, give me a little while


Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

I don't need a picture on line. I just wanted to know that the PCs could see one.

Tofana connects the storage device to a port in her comm unit and quickly projects the vesk's image for all to see. "This is our mark."


You asked!

Dataphiles

Android Mechanic 1

A second android, this one with a slight, androgynous build and dark almost plastic-looking skin highlighted by what appears to be a digital blue circuit diagram steps forward to intently examine the image.

"Is he likely to be..... violent if we question him?"


Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

"Not if we -- impress upon him the importance of good behavior. His reputation is that of a coward at heart."

Wayfinders

“I can be quite persuasive when I choose,” speaks up the short, pretty lashunta woman from where she lounges with carefully curated carelessness in her chair. She widens her eyes and parts her lips, imparting an innocent, girlish quality on her features … then realises that the effect is probably lost on most of her fellow new recruits (though the Venture Captain may appreciate it), and replaces the look with a glare of steely determination a she grips the hilt of the titanium alloy longsword that rests against the side of the chair.

Wayfinders

Male Shirren

"zzz... He is a businessman, yes? He may be amenable in the interest of future business. He knows we want more than insignias, yes?" The last is directed at the Venture-Captain.

He reaches down to a canister on his belt as if to reassure himself of its presence, a habitual gesture he makes often.


"I'm sure he has guessed that much, yes."

Wayfinders

"We know the name and appearance of the Vesk, and where it is to be found," says Latheera, flexing her muscular shoulders as she stands and belts the sword in its scabbard around her waist, then checking the holstered pistol at her other hip. As she stands, a brightly glowing mote of blue light appears, floating in the air near her head. "Shall we get going?"


Please feel free to continue getting to know each other on the way.

This is the point at which boons would usually be slotted, but there are no boon slots in this scenario (it was designed to be run before boons were available) but this is the point at which we would usually have that conversation. This is also the point where you'd work out crew roles if you were all new to this, but that's less important for PBP than at a table.

"If you have no other questions, that would be the sensible option. I would think it will take about an hour for you to get to the location. Please don't dawdle. You can use your comms to contact me with any information you find."

Wayfinders

I am RPing below average wisdom in not waiting to ask more questions … if anyone else has a question they might have time to jump in?


Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

"Where was Unbounded Wayfarer's destination and how many crew were on board? Did Julzakama have all the crew's insignia?


The ysoki listens in but says nothing, idly trimming his claws with a large hunting knife.

Dotting as well.


Tofana wrote:
"Where was Unbounded Wayfarer's destination and how many crew were on board? Did Julzakama have all the crew's insignia?

"We don't know exactly where it was headed, like many Pathfinder missions they set off into the vast to explore. As far as we can tell, the Vesk has all of the insignias, yes."


The ysoki's voice is surprisingly deep and gruff. "The captain said the vesk might not be around long. We should get going."

Acquisitives

Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

"Thank you, Venture Captain," Tofana replies. Her eyes slide around the room to the others.

I can't think of anything more to add. Ready to go if everyone else is.

Wayfinders

Male Shirren

"Yeszzz, thank you."

The shirren mystic picks up the battle staff from where it was leaning and turns toward the door. Bobbing his head, he says, "Yeszzz, now we see more people. Mmmm, sorry." He looks around at the group and gestures at a canister on his belt, "Tsik had a question. He enjoys seeing so many different peoples. Like our group here." He bobs his head again.


"The Vesk won't be going anywhere. The person who sold the insignias to him will though. Please, do not waste time. Thank you."

With that, you are dismissed.

Dataphiles

Android Mechanic 1

A wide-eyed expression on the face gives the android an air of apprehension that isn't part of the voice.
"Hopefully we won't need any weapons then..... hopefully?"

Wayf looks round at each of the group before nodding towards the venture -captain.
"We'll find the seller." It sounds more like they are trying to convince themselves.

As they leave the room, Wayf continues to talk:
"So I'm Wayf. I'm configured to be an engineer. I can understand any machine - computer, biological mechanism, starship, cybernetic device. Anything really. Just ask if you want me to do anything. I'm here to help, ........"

Acquisitives

Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

"I am Tofana. I, too am good with computers, and I have some skill piloting small craft." The black-haired android looks blankly at the other party members.

Wayfinders

Male Shirren

Bobbing his head again, the shirren offers, "Zzz... I am a follower of Pharazma. It is my duty to see to it that one is not sent to the Boneyard before their time. And to eaze the transition of those whose time has come. But mostly, I am here to meet new people, see new things, and help those I can. Call me Korskal. This," he motions to the canister on his belt that you may have noticed him brushing earlier, "this is my son Tsik."


"Magnus, ship security specialist."

Wayfinders

“I’m Latheera, from Castrovel originally; I’ve trained in the art of the Solarian,” says the Lashunta, swaying her hips as she walks. “I was hoping we’d get off the Station and out into the Vast for our first Starfinder mission – or at least see more of the Pact Worlds. Next time perhaps.”


Julzakama’s shop is less than an hour from the Lorespire Complex, the headquarters of the Starfinder Society, and reaching the run-down store is fairly simple.

Downlow is a poor and densely populated section of the Spike that extends below Absalom Station. As wealth flows into the "Dome" above, it seems to bypass this filthy section. Maybe 1 of the lights work, with the ones that aren't dead flickering intermittently.

Although some areas of Downlow are clean and trendy, this narrow alley of concrete and metal buildings drips with oil and sparking wires. A wide, red neon electric sign reads “Julzakama’s Loans” on a building sandwiched between a Kuthite sensation house and a derelict building covered with graffiti. The shop’s solid metal door contains a single, small window too grimy to peer through.

The interior of Julzakama’s Loans is crammed with shelves containing all manner of near-valueless items, from small appliances to VR game consoles and jars of colored powders. The shop has the acrid smell of a reptile house that has not been cleaned in months. A massive vesk in a muscle shirt stands at the rear of the shop, behind a low desk and a series of heavy metal bars anchored into the ceiling.

Julzakama is carelessly disassembling an old computer when you arrive.

Wayfinders

Male Shirren

Before we reach the shop

"Zzz... how do we talk to this vesk? Who talks? Zzome people are put off by my type, but I can bring them around sometimes..."

+5 diplomacy bonus, -1 intimidate penalty here

Dataphiles

Android Mechanic 1

"I can speak Vesk so I can do the talking if you want. I do find people are rather quiet at times so I have to do a lot of the talking. I think that's why I know so many languages...."

Wayf finally falls silent when the group enters the loan shop. Wayf lingers next to the game consoles but looks up when Korskal speaks. However, their attention is focused on appraising the old computer that is being disassembled rather than the vesk.

Wayfinders

Male Shirren

Korskal isn't speaking inside the shop. His comment was prior, as the ooc stated, so we could establish a plan beforehand.

Dataphiles

Android Mechanic 1

Wayf was talking on the way to the shop. I just wanted to establish that they talk and talk and talk...... but then fall silent when tech gets their attention. Sorry if I jumped the gun.

Acquisitives

Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

On the way

"The society negotiator of this deal reached a sub optimal solution. I would never transfer the entire payment before at least seeing the goods. The vesk could prove troublesome if he plans to sell the insignia again. Who will speak for us, and who will apply leverage should it be required? I am not well suited to either role."

Wayfinders

Male Shirren

"Zzz... I don't know about leverage." He gives a very human-like shrug.


Lath has the highest intimidate at +7... +9 with the bonus for knowing to take that route....


"I've got some leverage," growls Magnus, taking a grenade and storing it in his cheek pouch. "Let's do this."

Wayfinders

On the way:

“As I mentioned earlier in the VC’s office, I can be quite persuasive,” says Latheera as they walk along the derelict, poorly lit corridor-streets. She grins. “Nasty or nice. It would be my pleasure to lead negotiations if no-one objects – taking either tack as we decide. I also welcome any assistance that any of the rest of you can provide, be it Korskal’s way of bringing sentients around, or Magnus’ leverage. I don’t speak the language of Vesk however. It is my assumption that if this one does business here on the Station it will speak Pact Worlds’ Common, but if that proves not to be the case, then Wayf can translate.”

+9 on diplomacy, +7 on intimidate with the +2 circumstance bonus as our GM says. We could try a good cop / bad cop routine if someone else has a decent bonus to either skill, with Latheera taking the ‘other’ role, or decide on Diplomacy or Intimidate with Latheera taking lead and others assisting. I haven’t checked but I assume the ‘Aid Another’ action still exists in SF?


Yep... works just the same.... I'll assume you haven't entered the shop yet. You can see all that through the rather grimey window in the door.

Acquisitives

Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

"We should check for a rear exit. If Magnus' leverage is too extreme, the Vesk may flee."

Dataphiles

Android Mechanic 1

"Great idea Tofana, if you look for any other exits and cover them then I think we have a very effective plan that covers possibilities. I am sure you could provide an effective surprise if the vesk tries to flee. Inside, Korskal can watch over us. But I think that grenade could do a lot of damage, Magnus, so be careful with putting it in your mouth. We wouldn't want the leverage applied to you. Latheera, you do the talking and if it seems that the vesk doesn't understand then yes I can be really helpful in translating for everybody. I'm sure I can be a very effective translator as I can also explain exactly how things are being phrased and the intentions behind..... oh look, that's one of the old Paizotari VR consoles!"

Wayfinders

Male Shirren

Feeling like the plan has been determined and knowing he has little part to play in it, Korskal relaxes as they move to their destination and falls into one of his favorite habits - watching the other inhabitants of Asbalom Station as they go about their daily lives.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Anyone, general question:
Does anyone think their character would have established a relationship with the universe's friendliest death priest during Starfinder training? :D

Anyone, regarding the plan:
Perfectly fine with Ms. Brightstar taking point. It's not in Korskal's nature to intimidate or bully, but he can browse the shop looking for a back door to position himself in front of it before the others enter, if someone feels that would be useful and suggests it to him. Otherwise, he is effectively daydreaming right now. He could be giving a telepathic commentary to a member of the party about what he sees or notices if they have a friendship that predates the mission. He wouldn't dare to telepathically communicate with anyone he hasn't discussed it with first, however.


Ok, you seem to have a plan. Finding the rear entrance *outside* may be a little tricky. is that what you want to try?

Acquisitives

Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

"Let's sync comms. I will see if there is a rear exit."

Funny how the desciption includes 'buildings' in a space station, in the lower decks. I am imagining a service corridor behind this row of shops like we have in current day enclosed shopping malls. Tofana will see if there is an obvious back door. If it's not publice access, then she won't push it.


Yeah, you'd need a second way out at least for emergencies. But you'd expect store rooms etc too....

A quick scout around reveals a back door to the shop, a sort of very small loading area. Easy for a single person to keep an eye on from the outside.

Acquisitives

Outlaw Android Operative // Init +5 Percept +5 SenseMotive +3 // F 0 R 6 W 2 (+2 v disease, mind-affecting effects, poison and sleep) // KAC 16 EAC 15 Stamina 7 HP 10 Resolve 5

It yakes just a few minutes for Tofana to locate the rear entrance. She calls the others via her comm.

"I've got the back door covered. If he runs, I'll stun him. Go in and keep a comm open."

She'll stake out the back door.


As Tofana hunkers down out of the way, everyone else moves inside.

Tofana:
Through the comm you hear the crackle of static, inter spaced with the sounds of movement, and what is probably a door beiung opened. Finally, a deep, gruff voice can be heard "Pathfidners eh?
Come for the trinkets Arvin was asking about?"

Everyone Else:
The Vesk looks up as you enter and puts down the parts he's working with. As he looks you over, "Pathfidners eh?
Come for the trinkets Arvin was asking about?"

Please keep to spoilers, I'll transpose what Torfana hears as we go ;)


Everyone except Tofana:

Spoiler:
"Yeah," growls Magnus.


Everyone except Tofana:
The Vesk grins, then turns and takes a small box from behind him. As he pushes the box through an opening in the counter the Vesk scratches the scaly skin between his bony beardspikes with a clawed hand and says, "Seems I’m now fully paid for those trinkets there. I remember Arvin said something about wanting information, too, and I can do that. But information costs extra."

Tofana:
"Yeah" comes the voice of Magnus.... Followed swiftly by "Seems I’m now fully paid for those trinkets there. I remember Arvin said something about wanting information, too, and I can do that. But information costs extra."

1 to 50 of 139 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Nevynxxx's SFS Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.