Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Nevis Lodge: First Steps, Part 2 - To Delve the Dungeon Deep (Inactive)

Game Master Paizo Fan

Map of Asad's Keep - Updated 24/04/2012


201 to 250 of 354 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Depending on Crar Targ might move in again.... waiting for his move first

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Acrobatics check to tumble past the monster

DC = CMD of monster + 5 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Very good roll from Latharel. I did check the books but don't think I can try to tumble diagonal to avoid the +5. If this isn't enough then Latharel will be unable to succeed getting past.
Would be a shame as it would have been a Thread.

Latharel tries to tumble past the beast. Having seen the much more agile Targ fail he is unsure of the success but he feels it is important to get behind the beast.
Trying to learn from Targ he gives his best.

He then swings his blade to hit the beast (in the back ?).

Curved blade 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

His long blade sinks into the creature and leaves a deep cut.

Nostrus - I just assume the 20 is enough to hit. Please post if I'm in fron or in the back. Hopefully there is space AND flanking now.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel then has a closer look at the creature to figure out if it is a humanoid.

Knowledge Local 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

With a call to the heavens, Kernsten once more tries to use his flail against the beast.

Round 2:

Status:
HP: 7/12 AC: 18/11/17 Conditions: None
Attack Flail power attack 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (7) + 3 - 1 = 9
Damage Flail power attack 1d8 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 2 = 11

Now is the time to use Kernsten's rubber flail

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Lillia will be awaiting the outcome of Latharel's tumble.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

Crar again does his best to zap the beastie, moving up if he needs to in order to get a clear shot. He glances behind at Lillia and Targ, and if need be makes room for them to get past to have a crack at the thing.

Am I in the way? Crar makes room for Lillia and Targ to get past if he can.

Lightning arc at the creature: attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2; damage 1d6 ⇒ 6; lightning arc attacks used: 4/6

Aaagh! What's with these rolls, eh?


Latharel manages to tumble past the beast and then neatly slices it open. He realises it resembles a frog but man-sized with glowing eyes.

Kernsten's blow rattles the door frame but misses the creature entirely. Crar's lightning arc then pings off the other door frame, releasing the smell of burnt wood into the air.

Targ and Lillia still to act. How are you guys finding the group initiative idea?

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ will move back again to obtain flanking, taking advantage of the cover so he does not provoke.

Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Damage 1d6 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (4) = 9

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Fine with the initiative :)

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Seeing that Latharel managed to slip around the frog-like humanoid, she glares at it sternly; her wrecked eye glowing malevolently and a high pitched screech sounding from deep in her throat.

Evil eye: -2 to attack rolls for 7 rounds, DC 14 Will save to reduce the duration to 1 round.
Cackle: increase the duration of evil eye by one round.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Pinch and a punch for the 1st day of the month.
Who's Next ---> a classic album


Will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

With an angry hiss, the creature pivots to fight Latharel. It snaps at his arm angrily.

Bite attack vs. Latharel, AC 17: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Bite damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Fortunately, the pivot means that the beast's mouth clamps shut an inch above his arm.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Round 3:

Status:
HP: 7/12 AC: 18/11/17 Conditions: None
Attack Flail 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 3 - 1 = 8
Damage Flail 1d8 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 2 = 13

Kernsten continues to wave his weapon ineffectually around the corner, trying to hit the creature, but it is only succeeds in bashing the wall.

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ, now in a better position, attacks.

Attack 1 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Damage 1d6 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (2) = 7

Attack 2 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Damage 1d6 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 2 + (3) = 10

Bite 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (3) - 3 = 0
Damage 1d4 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 1 + (5) = 7

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel smiles at the creature - knowing that Targ will be of his assitance from behind.

"You shouldn't have tried to fight - this is a losing battle for you."

With this words he raises his Curved Blade high

Attack 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 2 = 10 Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

The blade isn't going anywhere close - but as long as his attack managed to give Targ and opportunity - what more was needed.

Assuming attack 2 of Targ hit - that makes it -26HP on the beast. Latharel isn't killing someone on the ground - good excuse for a poor roll ;-)

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

The glow continues to wash out of Lillia's eye and over the toad-like creature, bringing with it a cold and lonely sensation, while the low inhuman sounds from her throat seem to resonate with the feeling of isolation.

Same again, this time to add a -2 to AC.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

If the creature still appears to be on the go...

This is not going to plan. What is this thing? Trying to think of a way to help, Crar speaks to the spirits and summons a flame which appears in his hand. He hurls it at the creature, hoping that fire would help to scare it off. Unfortunately, his aim is still off, and the small ball of fire goes nowhere near the creature. Crar hopes he hasn't hit his friends.

Cast produce flame, if the creature hasn't been dropped already.

[ooc] Ranged touch attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3; fire damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

6 attacks from the party - 5 misses 1 maybe ... what did we do in a past life to upset the dice gods... to hits..2,3,3,6 and a big 10..and maybe a hit with the a roll of 16...ho hum!


Targ's attack manages to pierce the creature's tough hide and it croaks as it falls to the floor, bleeding out.

COMBAT ENDED!

You guys exploring the room, I take it?

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Take 20 -> Perception 25

Latharel carefully searches the room.

"Lets see if this creature was having anything of value. I don't like to soil my blade for nothing worthwhile."

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten stands guard at the door, leaving the rest of the party to look around the chamber.


Latharel locates a trade agreement, three flasks of holy water and a potion.

Where to now? There are no further doors in this area of the map to explore.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten leads the party back down to the main chamber that the small passage way came off from. His torch lights the way, back into the chamber. He then turns and follows the eastern wall, until he raeches the wide passage way to the north-east. "This way?" he asks as he peers into the darkness beyond.

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

"Sure," Targ responds.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel follows.

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Lillia moves along with the group, glancing in passing at the word above the latest stone sculpture, to confirm her suspicion it is the Kelesh word for water.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

Crar tags along behind, frustrated that none of his lightning attacks seemed to be near the mark. Is my eyesight going or something? he wonders.

The Exchange

You head back to the chamber where you encountered the skeleton, and which had several passages branching off of it. Turning to the northeast corner, you head into a wide passageway, Kernsten leading the way. This brings you to the junction of two staircases: one set to the east leading up, and a wider passage to the north with steps heading down into the gloom.

This crossroads of stairs where you stand has one dominant feature: a crumbled statue in the southeast corner, once the image of a proud warrior chiseled roughly in granite. The statue's helmeted head now rests on the floor, its lifeless stone eyes gazing towards the south. On the helmet, a single Kelish word is carved in the stone. The wide stairway to the north leads to a passage that ends in a cave-in ten feet past the edge of the stairs.

Updated map of Asad's Keep

Going back through the posts, it seems like there's a room (location 10) that we would have discovered but I think because it came up at the time Nostrus needed to take some time off we missed it - the gameplay thread says that there were no more rooms there but this one wasn't hidden, so rather than do it over I'll just assume you found it when you were searching the adjacent chamber (location 9).

The chamber held wall to wall shelves scattered with damaged and moldy scrolls, along with a few still-sealed scroll tubes. They are all in Kelish, and range in their state of disrepair.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

"Anyone able to deciver these scroll tubes or what is carved on the helmet. We don't want to miss any danger signs."

Linguistics will follow next level.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

"If nobody objects - let us move upwards. Digging through dirt is something maybe a dwarf might like to do. Not that I think we will get down through there any time without a whole mining troop of dwarfs."

With this words he spends a moment to investigate the statue and the passage down for anything useful

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

He then takes the stairs up.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten follows Latharel, holding his torch so he can see.

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Lillia stoops to read the word carved into the warrior's helm. earth?

"There's nothing wrong with a good excavation," the silver haired woman says defensively, as she curiously examines some of the scrolls, "but you're right in saying it would be a time consuming process; best to come to that once we have the place secured and we can bring out some novices to help."

The Exchange

DM roll:
1d6 ⇒ 3

------

Lillia:
You are correct, the Kelish word inscribed on the statue's head does indeed translate as "earth".

The scrolls you found appear to be old trade agreements. All are written in Kelish, and detail pacts Satrap Taliz Asad made with pirates, mercenary groups (for the protection of caravans), petty lords, and even a few nations scattered about the Inner Sea region. One agreement contains a personal note addressed to the Satrap, congratulating him on gaining the Li family's jade katana and the promise it contains.

Lillia spends some time to examine the ruined statue as well as some of the scrolls you have found. Meanwhile, Latharel and Kernsten scout ahead to the end of the passageway at the top of the stairs. It appears to end in another ironbound door.

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ ewill sneak up Stealth 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 up and tries to listen Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Once Targ has done his stuff, Kernsten attempts to open the door or just give it a good old shoulder charge.

Strength check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

The Exchange

Targ creeps up the stairs to the ironbound door, listening for anything on the other side. It seems quiet. He gives a nod to Kernsten, who puts his shoulder to the door and gives it a good nudge. The door creeps open, then falls off its hinges with a loud clang! To your ears it sounds as if the echo reverberates like a gong, though in reality the noise probably wasn't that loud.

Through the doorway, you find a room with a wide corridor exiting it toward the north and a door toward the south. Barrels and boxes of supplies fill the cramped corridor.

A quick investigation reveals that the wide tunnel leading north goes for about 40feet and ends in a solid stone wall.

Asad's Keep map udated

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Looking up from the scrolls, Lillia realises that she has been left behind. Bundling the ancient documents in her arms, she hurries to catch up, "These look to be trade agreements that the satrap who constructed this place held, and there's even a mention of the blade Amara Li was after... no clue as to where we might find it, though."

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

"Good, at least something," Targ whispers, having his weapons ready and waiting for Kernsten to open the next door.

The Exchange

DM roll:
1d4 ⇒ 4

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Hearing and seeing Targ is ready to enter the next room, Kernsten tries a different approach this time. He tries to open the door, just a little crack and looks into the darkness beyond.

Stealth 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (14) - 3 = 11 Opening the door as quietly as he can.
Perception 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17 Looking into the room, if its dark then he can't see much but can hear.
Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 cos I think you'll need it !!!

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel stands behind Kernsten

He hopes his elven eyes might see more as he is able to see.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

No darkvision but maybe low light is enough.
Or maybe not - as you still need to roll a decent value.

But it seems Kernsten is blocking with his broad frame all the vision for Latharel.

The Exchange

DM rolls:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

------

Ignoring the items in the stockroom for now, you creep up to the next door, Latharel and Kernsten trying to work out what's in the adjoining room, the big paladin carefully pushing the door open. To your surprise, on the other side of the door you see a small red-scaled kobold staring back at you! The small, scaly creature lets out a shrill yip (anyone speak Draconic?), then brandishes his spear at you. In response to the call, a soft, sibilant voice speaks from the shadows, and three more kobolds to the left of you rise and take up their spears. They appear to throwing insults at you and move closer threateningly.

Latharel:
Speaking Draconic, you know that the kobold in front of you is saying "Intruders in the storeroom! Coming this way!", while the soft, sibilant voice that answers says "Defend the flame."

I don't think this interaction calls for a surprise round, so we'll jump straight into Round 1. Unfortunately the kobolds have rolled a 3.

Round 1
Initiative
26 - PCs
3 - kobolds

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten moves into the room, dropping the torch behind him, pulling out his flail and striking the kobold barring his way. "Little scaly things coming at us with spears here! Not friendly at all!"

Round 1:

Status:
HP: 7/12 AC: 18/11/17 Conditions: None
Attack Flail 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Damage Flail 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

With a sneer in his voice Latharel shouts towards the kobolds:
"Suorita nyt, jos haluat elää"

Draconic:

Run now if you want to live

towards his own group

"They seem to defend some flame. Be careful - it might be magic or holy to them"

Latharel enters and tries to locate the speaker who directed the others to defend the flame.

Acrobatics 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

I don't think it is needed if they are still flat footed - but I just add it in case

Attack (if possible on the 'leader?' who ordered his kobolds to defend the flame)

Attack Curved Elven Blade 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ moves into the room, trying to obtain flanking if possible and attacks.

Attack (with flanking)1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Damage (with flanking 1d6 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 2 + (2) = 8

The Exchange

skill checks:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

The Exchange

Round 1
Seeing the kobold standing there, staring back at him, Kernsten wastes no time in charging into the chamber, attempting to flatten the little humanoid with his flail. The kobold ducks and evades the weapon, but is unable to evade Latharel's curved elven blade as he follows in nimbly, looking for the source of the voice. The kobolds seem a bit nervy as a result of the elf's warcry, but stand their ground. Targ follows next, moving in on the remaining kobolds but unable to get a solid strike. Crar makes a double move to get into the room, and fumbles with his amulets, preparing to cast a spell with Lillian following after.

As you enter the room, you see that it looks like it was once two rooms that have had the adjoining wall torn down to create one large chamber. Around the corner from where you came in, you see a large statue of some sort of draconic humanoid standing in the centre of the floor, with a broken door placed in front as an altar. A well stands behind the statue.

Latharel & Targ:
As you quickly take in your surroundings, you notice what at first you think is a sheathed katana that is hovering in midair behind the statue. Then, you think you can make out that the sword is belted around a shape that is nearly perfectly blended with its surroundings.

The three remaining kobolds fan out and rush at you with their spears, heeding the quiet command. The attacks are mostly ineffectual, though Crar barely manages to block a blow from one with his own spear. At the same time, a shimmering ray shoots out from by the shoulder of the statue at Targ. It misses him, striking the floor between Crar and one of the kobolds. Both of them turn and look up at the statue.

enemy attacks:

kobold 1 attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4; damage 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
kobold 2 attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14; damage 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4
kobold 3 attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4; damage 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4
ranged touch attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

End of Round 1!

The Exchange

Updated map here .

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ makes a step forward to obtain flanking and strikes.

Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage 1d6 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (2) = 7

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten moves to help his friends attacking one of the kobolds once more.

Round 2:

Status:
HP: 7/12 AC: 18/11/17 Conditions: None
Attack Flail 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Damage Flail 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Crit confirm 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Crit Damage 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

201 to 250 of 354 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Nevis Lodge: First Steps, Part 2 - To Delve the Dungeon Deep All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.